Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• jvigil88jvigil88 Member Posts: 21
    Just be careful of the transmission. I have a 1995 Ford Explorer Limited 4X4 and I had to have the transmission replaced at about 130,000 miles and it was over $2000. Other than that no major problems.

Janell
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    One important thing you forgot, What ENGINE is in your Explorer, That makes ALL the difference. I would not trust the V6 for long term. If you have the V8 5.0L, they are good engines that last over 200,000 miles with good care. On high milage vehicles, the labor cost will eat you up. To offset this, there are many things you can do yourself. Buy a Scanner/Code reader and plug it into the car and read your codes yourself, and then buy a repair manual for you car. You can look up the codes to see what they mean, and might be able to fix or correct some of the simpler ones. The code does not tell you exactly what is wrong, it guides you in the right direction, you usually have to do some diagnosis, but you can always ask someone if you don't know, there are a lot of Forum Sites that will help you. This can save you a lot of money and keep your repair expenses in line.
    Good Luck
    E.D.
  • oldfordoldford Member Posts: 3
    electricdesign,
    Thanks for the code reader tip. I went to the Auto Zone once but they could not read the code, machine was broken or something and I did not follow up. I know some are really simple like gas cap or spark plug. The engine is indeed V8 5.0L (I thought it was the only one they packaged with AWD) and this is why I have confidence in that part of the car and why I payed extra for it in the first place even though I don't really need the muscle. I grew up on the GM 350 ci in the days where a non-abused V8 engine always outlasted the rust.
    Thanks again!
    PS is there anyplace you know of that compares unbiasedly the GMC Envoy and Explorer?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    For the specs, try our Vehicle Comparison Tool.

For reviews, try us too (link). Plus the '05 Envoy is the New Vehicle Spotlight ad right now on that page. Click the New link for editorial comment (or the Used link to drill down to reviews of older cars).

Steve, Host
    oldford,
    Your welcome. My code reader is an Auto X-Ray, you can find them on the web. It is a small self contained unit I bought in 2000. Now there are so many on the market, I think if I was going to buy another one, I would get one of those kind that are a module that has a plug on one end to connect to the car and a plug on the other end to plug into a notebook computer, with a program to run it on your computer. Then you can see a nice display of everything, and nowadays they are more capable of doing more functions, graphs, etc.
    One big reason I stress to get the V8 is that the transmission behind the V8 is much stronger than the one behind the V6. The V8 has the 4R70W trans, which is totally great, very strong and reliable. I was not sure about which engine came with the AWD because mine is 2WD. I don't have to fight the snow and ice down here in Florida.
    I also came from the V8 GM generation, the 265, then the 283, then the ever popular 327! My first V8 was the 265 in a 57 Chevy with a 2 speed powerglide. My brother had a 55 Chevy with the 283 that was really hot.
    But now the Fords serve me well, and I can honestly say that the 2000 Ford Explorer XLT V8 that I am currently driving is the best vehicle I have ever owned (I've owned it 2 months now). My wife raves about her 1997 Ford Explorer XLT V8, that she has drove for 3 years. They are both fantastic vehicles. Her car has 137,000 miles on it, and I am going to replace the original Lower Ball Joints on both sides this weekend. 137K is not bad service for original ball joints!
    E.D.
  • oldfordoldford Member Posts: 3
    Dear E.D.,
    Even better tip, since I am actually electronic literate, I will get a code reader unit to plug into my notebook. I did not know they existed. The 97 XLT V8 is my wife's car plus the family car (I drive a pickup). It is the first vehicle I ever bought new and only because we lost an 87 Grand Wagoneer to a fire and got an insurance windfall. We were set to buy a Jeep but the top of the line they had in 97 was no comparison in look and feel of the Explorer. It really has been good to us-- safe and reliable-- and you have given the motivation to keep it. If we dumped it now, we would look back and say it was good value, but if we can get a few more years out of it will become exceptional value-- plus what would we replace it with (on a budget)?
    Many thanks again,
    (and also to our host of the forum)
    JR on Cape Cod
    PS
    I drove a 57 Chevy 265, 63 Chevy 283, 66 Chevy straight 6 250-something, 71 Chevy 350, 77 Buick 350, 69 Olds 400 (whatever was in the 442?) , 70 Cadillac 472, 68 Cadillac 472. When I bought the XLT, I told the salesman when I was a kid people wore caps that said "Anybody that drives a Ford must have a screw loose." but perhaps things have now changed. He agreed with me but he really did not understand. I think you know what I mean.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    You're coming around oldford.....My Dad was like you, I learned from him......
  • campinutcampinut Member Posts: 8
    I have looked into & researched everything trying to find out what used SUV I would be happiest with. I narrowed it to the Escape & Explorer. While investigating I found both get about 16 city and 20 hywy. Am I right?? No advantage to the Escape 3.0? All I pull is a moderate john boat. So I would like to have 4x4 capability but 90% of my driving is going to and from work ( 60 mile round trip) so I would like good fuel mileage but keeping in mind a used SUV.
    You're right about the 4.0L Explorer, but that's the best the Escape will do? I'm surprised about that. Between the two, if the mileage is the same, I'd get the Explorer. It's a tougher truck all the way around, more durable.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I had a 2003 Escape XLT 3.0L V6 for a month as a rental this winter, we took it to Anchorage and it managed a nice 21 mpg in mixed hwy, snow, 4WD, and city driving. Hwy only it seemed to hang in the mid 20's. Was a great little rig, really enjoyed it, lots of fun to drive and very sure footed, put just over 2000 miles on it while we had it.

One drawback is the tow capacity of the Escape with the tow pkg is only 3500 lbs.

The best my 2004 Explorer XLS 4.0L V6 managed was 19 mpg hwy on trips to Anchorage. Its average hung in the 15-17 mpg range for mixed driving which surprised me since the V8 Explorer I traded in on it did better than that. However, the Explorer with the tow pkg (2" receiver) has a tow capacity of 5000 lbs with the V6.
    Thats curious in Anchorage. I wonder if altittude may change things being I live in Kentucky. A friend of mine has a 2000 Explorer with a V8 and gets 18 at best and another friend has a 99' Explorer V6 and gets 23 at best. I do not know of anyone with an Escape. I also wonder if the dfferent MPG could also be due to weight difference on the Explorer after the new body style in 2001. Can I get more input?
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    As I've mentioned in the past, the 4.0L SOHC V6 in the Explorer is a crude gas hog that might allow for the 4.6L V8 to post better fuel economy numbers. Trick to the 4.0L, keep the revolutions under 2000RPM...anything over will dramatically worsen the fuel mileage estimates.

Prior to the new Mustang receiving this 4.0L, I thought maybe it was just the bulk of the Explorer that made the engine post such horrible fuel mileage estimates...And considering my numerous testing with a new Mustang with the 4.0L, I can tell you it's just as bad. I was able to post 18MPG and that was with the A/C off and keeping the revolutions under 2000RPM.

This is one of those senarios where opting for the larger engine, might be more economical...amazingly.
  • mystiquemystique Member Posts: 24
    Thinking about getting a 4x2 for better gas mileage. Anyone know how they go in the snow/rain etc. Its a heavy vehicle so i figured it might be good still.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I don't know where to start here.

First of all, The Explorer is a vehicle that weighs over 4,500 pounds. The Expedition (in two wheel drive) weighs just 900 pounds more. How much mpg do you think a vehicle this heavy should get? My wife's '02 Explorer (2wd-4.0-XLT w/ SOHC) gets 14 in the city and will consistently get right at 20 mpg on the highway if you stay under 75mph. I don't know about you...but any vehicle that gets 20 mpg on the highway that weighs 4,500 pounds seems pretty good to me! AS mentioned here in previous posts, the V8 will not post BETTER NUMBERS, but just about TWO MPG LESS! BTW, I have 40,000 trouble free miles on this "crude V6". (Motor-wise anyway!)
  • mystiquemystique Member Posts: 24
    Great thanks, I do mostly highway driving so 4 wheel drive doesn't make all that much sense. I am seriously considering the new 06' with RWD and the V8 6speed combo. I figured that it should be pretty good in the snow and the fact that most streets are plowed reasonably well after storms makes it more sense for me.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Chuck,

I'm with you in questioning the statements made.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    What say you, oh wise one, of a 2001 Ford Escape? I know they haven't been very reliable, but would it be worth it for the extra couple of MPG? The Exploder is getting 13.5 city 17 highway. I think the V6 Escape is rated at what, 18/20? Correct me if I'm wrong. Just a thought. Found a nice one at a nice price, not seriously considering it but considering nonetheless.
    "AS mentioned here in previous posts, the V8 will not post BETTER NUMBERS, but just about TWO MPG LESS! BTW, I have 40,000 trouble free miles on this "crude V6". "

Considering I have the equipment to not only test it, but also program various codes for improvements of various items (fuel economy being one), I can tell you the V8 will post better numbers if driven the same way. As I mentioned, bringing the V6 over 2000RPM's will worsen the issue. Not that it's necessary since that V6 is able to sport 90% of it's torque at that RPM.

At 75MPH revving around 3200RPM, I'm looking at 15-17MPG, and at 95 (speed governing kicks in at 98) your looking at 3600RPM posting around 11-13MPG.

This with the 3:73 Axle ratio, on an Explorer Limited 4x2.

This same engine in the new Mustang V6, 2500RPM at 75MPH (less effort due to it's aerodynamic shape) showing 20MPG with 3200 coming in at 95MPH getting 16MPG at that range, and at 110 it drops to 10MPG when hitting 3500-3600RPM.

Anytime a downshift is required into a lower gear and your hitting 5000RPM, just let go of the accelerator because it's just sucking wind and getting you no where, 3000RPM is the sweet spot where most of the downshift should take you to. Although unfortunately for the Mustang, the processor is much slower and programmed differently, therefore it'll downshift you into the 4000RPM range (where you must hope it'll upshift one gear and give you a 3000RPM upshift). Hopefully a TSB will cure the delayed downshift/upshift thrash that some might notice.

From what I have seen and expericed, the only range where the V6 becomes "economical" over the V8 is at the 55-65MPH range, and that won't stay around much with the new 6Speed for this years Explorer which is posting better figures in that range.
    "Considering I have the equipment to not only test it, but also program various codes for improvements of various items (fuel economy being one), I can tell you the V8 will post better numbers if driven the same way. As I mentioned, bringing the V6 over 2000RPM's will worsen the issue. Not that it's necessary since that V6 is able to sport 90% of it's torque at that RPM."

Maybe your right. The only thing is, that it is NOT THE EXPERIENCE of those who post here. Maybe it's the mentality of - "I have a V8" and those who do may possibly be a more aggressive driver. The only thing I know is in regards to the V6 is that I have two and one-half years of "real world" ownership experience. The motor has been trouble free. Yes, I have had issues-the transmission solenoid, a slight rear end whine. It's been nothing like the '99 Suburban which I paid 30K for that was an absolute nightmare!
    You guys should lighten up on ANT - you don't know who you are talking to there...... :) I'm just saying...........
    I think the Escape is a dandy little SUV - I'd stay way from the first year out, they had some teething issues, but other than that, they're plenty reliable to great. I hope it's the V-6, cause they're fun.
    Chuck1
    You may have a valid point here! He keeps talking about "keeping it under 2000 rpm" and you implied that the V8 drivers may be more agressive drivers. That may very well be true in a lot of cases, as I am a V8 driver and the only time my V8 is under 2000 rpm is when it is off or idling at a light, other than that it is floor it! I do mostly city driving and I get 14 in the city and 18 on the road, and that's good enough for me! :)
    Yes, well at what you stated......you are getting only about 1 less miles-per-gallon city and two less miles-per-gallon highway than the V6. All I know is that you can't duplicate what happens on the road with what goes on in a lab. I know, I am in industrial sales and I send samples back to my lab all the time, while they are very good at analyzing issues, they can't duplicate the conditions on the piece of equipment the samples come from.....
    To Chuck1 and ANT,
    Didnt mean to get folks riled up. All had very good points. My next question (to any one if you know) Where can I find aftermarket performance parts for the Explorer. New and older ones, say 1998 and up. Lookin for chips or even turbo if they make it for the Explorer. Just let me say .... not tryin to race it just curious. Any help or tips welcome .......... Thanx
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Let's just keep focused on the cars and folks won't have reason to get too riled up with each other. Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Yes, it's an XLT V6, but it is an '01. I'm going to look at it today, but like you, I also wonder about the first year issues. I've seen some '02's with similar miles for a little more, so if I decide that I like it, I may shop around. I still haven't located the antifreeze leak on the orange explorer, but it continues to lose antifreeze. The reason I am even considering the Escape I found is because of it's price, and mileage. It has 46k miles and they're asking $12,9. I've had the Explorer appraised at $7,0 and with a payoff of around $6,0 it should bring it down into my comfort zone for payments. But once again, just considering, not serious. Thanks for the info!
    The 4.0L isn't unreliable in any way (except some cracked mani-folds one year, long ago... but that's just an added component otherwise), in fact the engine is quite economically feasable to build in relation to the new 3.5L coming up (hint). But the term "crude" relates to noises caused by added components, not much from the actual engine itself. Although it does have much higher NVH noises/levels, than any other Ford OHC engine (the 3.8L being the top winner in that case, urrrr).

The engine won't be around much (for the above mentioned issue), the 3.5L will phase-out the majority of current Ford V6's (Vulcan 3.0L being the first, then 3.8L, 4.2L by 2008)...the 3.0L Duratec will stay for a long time.

BTW, the 3.5L Duratec35 is not a bored/stroke version of the Duratec30. It's actually a whole new engine overall, with a new block as well... Only thing carried over is some of the initial design tweaks and details, and that's very little of it's own.
    "The engine won't be around much (for the above mentioned issue), the 3.5L will phase-out the majority of current Ford V6's (Vulcan 3.0L being the first, then 3.8L, 4.2L by 2008)...the 3.0L Duratec will stay for a long time."

So, ANT, in the timeline you gave above, when does the Cologne 4.0L ride into the sunset? :confuse:
    An exact date hasn't yet been determined, and maximizing it's use is important as well, and economically feasable. Therefore, when the Duratec35 is in full swing, and the initial developmental costs have been amortized from placing this engine in use for awhile, would weigh into when exactly the Cologne V6 get killed. So in other words, maybe 4-5 years. I can tell you definately, this engine won't make it into the next decade.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I have a 2004 Mountaineer Luxury AWD with a V-8. Started noticing a chirping or squeaking sound every time the A/C cycled on and off that first spring after we bought it. The dealer has changed the compressor which didn't stop it. Took it back and they re-gapped the clutch in the A/C which again didn't work. I've since taken it back two times complaining about this loud annoying sound as recently as three weeks ago. They either don't have a clue what's causing it or they know and don't want to fix it. They claim they haven't had any other complaints about this problem. Has anyone out there with an Mountaineer or Explorer with this same engine had this problem?
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
    Sold my trusty 94 Explorer, Eddie Bauer, 140,000 miles last weekend. Got $4000 for him too. Thought something should be said for all of those who are Ford haters lurking on these boards. This old boy gave us 11 years of faithful service with very minimal needs. Repairs consisted of A frame bushings, air conditioning hose, master cylinder.
    Toward the end, my son took him over and abused it horribly, wrecking it and running it beyond tolerances of design. It held up remarkably. It uses oil, but passes smog and doesn't leak. Your Explorer may not have performed so well, but this one owes me nothing.
    Hate to see a good one like that go, but it served you well. R.I.P.
    My 93 was almost that good, but I drove it hard and broke the tranny, but overall was an excellent vehicle. I got $3700 for it at the end of 2003.
    E.D.
    Has the dealer checked the belt and the belt tensioner? That could cause the noise you hear. Sometimes the belt gets worn and slips more easily. I would try a new belt on the vehicle and check belt tension to be sure the tensioner is pulling the belt tight enough.
    E.D.
    It's been checked. It is a metallic sounding chirp. Vehicle only has 10,000 miles on it.
    That is very strange. The only sound the A/C clutch should make is a click, and not too loud. If it is loud and sounds as you say, there is a definite problem, and I don't know why the dealer can't fix it. It is strange that they even put a new one on, and it still makes the noise. Something is being overlooked. Did they put a new clutch on the compressor, or a whole new compressor unit? The fault could lie in the clutch, compressor, belt, tensioner, possible high pressure from an overcharge of refrigerant or restriction in the condenser, even compressor mounting could be loose. But you would assume that the dealer would check all of that throughly, but still, something is being overlooked, because that noise in not normal. I would raise heck with them until they fixed it. If you can't get any satisfaction from them, then you will have to take it to another dealer. All dealerships are NOT created equal.
    E.D.
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    I have an '03 Mountaineer Premier with the V8 AWD that is approaching the end of the factory warranty now at 35,000 miles and 32 months on the road. This has been a very good vehicle so far, with the only "defect" being the rear window hinges that were finally recalled and now seem fine. Oh, and the wafer thin so-called "leather" is wrinkling on the outside driver's seat pretty badly.

I did purchase an extended warranty when I bot the vehicle from WARRANTYDIRECT.COM. I've had 2 other vehicles covered by them and they paid without any problem and the coverage was better than the FORD ESP at a better price too.

Anyway, I am wondering about the transmission, especially around here in Pittsburgh (up and down STEEP hills all day). It's just not clear if it should be flushed. The maintenance schedule doesn't address it. And it's not clear who can REALLY do it and do it right. My dealer seemed to shy away from it..."not recommended". What do you guys think? 35000 miles is still young but compared to the 1999 Explorer it replaced, the initial 3 years has been MUCH improved and I hope a harbinger of what is to come.

Also, will Ford replace the "leather" (vinyl?) on my wrinkled driver's seat? Or will it be a fight. It's not "terrible" (yet), but seems more worn than it should be.
    I was looking carefully at the invoices I have from the service performed. I thought they had replaced the compressor, but actually they Replaced the clutch hub face and Clutch Plate. The second time they adjusted the Clutch Gap to .016. A few weeks ago a Regional Customer Service Rep came up from Cincinnati to meet with me. Of course, when he was listening to it it would only make a "click" as you call it. The next day it was in the 80's and it was very loud and bugging the hell out of me. I also found a paper that I'd forgotten about, that was listed as a "Special Sevice Messages" from Ford. It stated that some 2002-2005 Mountaineers equipped with a 4.6L Engine may exhibit a chirp from the engine compartment when the A/C compressor is cycling. At that time there was no fix, but engineering was working on it.
    I believe that these transmissions do not require flushing. I imagine the dealer would do it if you wanted it done for peace of mind. I know how the hills are in Pittsburgh since I lived there for 11 years and my family still does. So I don't blame you for your concern, but I would think your greatest concern would be Brakes. Unless you are down shifting your automatic transmission a lot.
    Brakes and tires are ALWAYS an issue in Pittsburgh with ANY vehicle. I go thru front brake pads in about 20,000 miles and tires in 30,000 miles here and THAT'S GOOD. People from the flatlands just don't get it.

I still think the tranny outta be flushed, but I guess I am afraid they will be inexperienced and will do more harm than good.
    "Also, will Ford replace the "leather" (vinyl?) on my wrinkled driver's seat? Or will it be a fight. It's not "terrible" (yet), but seems more worn than it should be."

Yes, you are right. The leather on these seats is PURE JUNK. Way too thin. I have heard Ford has taken a "hard stance" on not replacing any more of those seat bottoms. BTW, there is one thing to keep in mind. If they did replace it, the dye lots are different and WILL NOT MATCH. If you are going to keep this vehicle, you are better off just to wait until it rips totally, and then take it to a good aftermarket craftsman and have him redo both seats up front.
    Well, if Ford won't fix it, I guess I'll probably just live with it until it starts to actually tear open. By then the vehicle won't be "newish" anymore anyway, so I'll just duct tape it and buy a cheap seat cover to cover it then keep on truckin'.
    I'll tell you how I "fixed" my leather seat. I bought one of those slip-on seat covers right after I bought the car. I put it on the drivers seat, as it is the one that gets the most wear. That will "cure" the seat from wearing out. When I am ready to sell it, I pull the seat cover off, and Walaah! the seat still looks good. It helps the resale a lot. That is what I did with my last vehicle.
    E.D. :)
    S0- you pay extra to have leather---but put some cheap seat cover on and not enjoy what you paid for? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
    Just to chime in on that, sometimes people will end up with leather (or another option on their car they didn't care for), because either A) great rebate on it B) Only one on the lot they were able to have C) Just happened that their favorite exterior color, HAPPEN to have leather interior, etc. And in my case, it's been standard on a few vehicles I've bought.

I myself dislike leather and will put a seat cover within 15 minutes after buying a vehicle only because in FL, it's NOT the best feeling sitting in hot leather with shorts on. The only leather I own happens to be on leather harnesses and chaps, and that's about it.
    Depending on the vehicle.... leather can be an option priced from $1,5000.00 to $3,000.00 plus- dollars. There would be NO WAY I would pay for it if I didn't want it. I am in Southern Calif.-it gets hot here too! My wife's '02 Explorer leather isn't wearing well either. I looked on the sticker,I paid $1,500.00 for that (CHEAP) leather!
    I just wonder if you guys are talking about the cheap leather they put in the XLT or the Mountaineer Convenience. I have the Luxury Trim in my Mountaineer which has 2 tone leather and it seems to be pretty good to me. I think it is a better grade of leather than what is being put in the cheaper trim levels.
    Look again. It's cheap wafer-thin "leather" that I swear is really vinyl. That used to be the "base" or "cheap" interior in the 1970's! Yes, I am talking about the two-tone set up in my top-of-the-line Mountaineer Premier...let alone what "downgrade" might be in the XLT.

Remember when Ricaldo Mantalbaum (or whatever the heck his name was) huckstered "fine corinthian leather" for Chrysler. Now THAT was when LEATHER WAS LEATHER. This stuff is some derivation of leather in certain spots and even that is questionable.
    We are mainly talking about the XLT. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the leather to go 5 years before it looks really worn. I have taken proper care of my wife's leather interior, (application of preservative, etc.) and the leather is not holding up well at all. It's a common complaint. IT's 2 1/2 years old-and probably will not see another 2 1/2 years. Ford's cost-cutting is really noticeable in some items......
    Yes, that was a great commercial! His accent just "really hit home!" You spent good money on your Mountaineer, you should get better!
    It's probably similar to the Leather that I saw in a Taurus that I test drove a couple of years ago. I was looking for a car to drive when my company switched from company cars to an auto allowance. Now that was some amazingly cheap Leather. I ended up buying a top of the line Sonata w/Leather. The Hyundai Leather was noticebly better. You definitely would expect any Leather to far out last Cloth. That's why I buy Leather furniture. Well that and the feel and looks of it. It's pretty bad when a Korean Car Company is giving you better quality than a company that's been around for years. :(