Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I have to agree, look GM's market share trend over the past 10 to 20 years. It's anything but a pretty picture!
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Whatever....
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Could you please tell me what happened to the emoticons, or am I the only one who had them at the bottom of the post screen (this screen) and now they are MIA...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    They've been coming and going while a bug is being swatted. They'll be back for good soon.

Steve, Host
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Hate to actually dignify this lame argument with a comment, but being a fool, I will add my comment as I always do....

There's no question the Asians and Europeans are eating the Domestics market share away year after year, but it's not all about reliability folks. It's also about price (Hyundia, Kia), Warranty (Hyundai), and a general Generation Y hatred of all things American that roll. Until we figure out how to sell cars to them, or their kids, this isn't going to reverse much.
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    I just don't buy what you are saying. In the end, it IS all about quality. Detroit has ALWAYS had cheap models available....but unlike the Honda, Toyota and now Hyundai, they all fell apart within a few years. And while quality HAS gotten BETTER, it didn't get "better enough". And, frankly, it might be too late. People get used to certain makes. Most of the Honda/Toyota crowd is NEVER coming back.

Now if GM/Ford went to a 10 year warranty....
    Have you tried De-caf?
  • moeharrimoeharri Member Posts: 108
    I totally agree with you. I am fairly young (25), but have had the fortune to buy 3 brand new vehicles already. I started with a 2001 Grand Am. I babied the car like crazy, but it was still "junk". I then purchased a 2003 Explorer. It has been having more and more problems and only has about 19k miles (I have been into the dealer 8 times in the last 3 months with no end in sight). Lastly, I just purchased a 2005 Camry. The car (with about 8k miles) has been an absolute DREAM. There is almost nothing GM or Ford can do to ever get me back into their vehicles. If somehow Toyota disappoints me (which I doubt will happen), I'll go to Honda or maybe even Hyundai. Many other people I work with feel the same way--I always thought I'd buy only "American", but the Japanese just make too good of a vehicle to pass up at almost any price.
  • curious6curious6 Member Posts: 1
    I am brand new to this forum. Can anyone tell me if you have ever heard of the brake pedal falling off when attempting to step on the brakes? This happened to my sister this past weekend. Thankfully she was not going down a hill or was not in crowded traffic situation when this happened. She was able to get the vehicle to stop only because she was on a flat surface and not travelling very fast when the pedal broke away. She has the adjustable gas and brake pedal option on her vehicle. She has contacted the dealer and was told "this is the 1st time I have ever heard of this". I think this is the standard response from most every service manager. If anyone has heard of this please reply. I hate to think what could have happened in a different driving situation. This really seems like a very serious situation Ford/Mercury needs to look into. If anyone has any suggestions/ideas, please don't hesitate to respond.

thanks
    Curious6
    I have a tendency to agree...I was fed up with Detroit iron in the 1970s and 1980s, and I bought 4 Hondas in that time...my last two, in 1988, lasted until 1998 and 2001, 160K and 180K miles...I wanted to give Detroit another chance so in 2004 I bought a Dodge Truck and Crown Vic...very happy with Dodge, Crown Vic very nice but it could be a little more modernized, even tho it is a proven design, need not be so stodgy...imports do seem to be more modern, but for now I am sticking with American...when SUV time comes, I am considering redesigned 2006 Explorer, 4 Runner, Pathfinder, and, if it has been enlarged like we hear about, Hyundai Santa Fe...
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Of course, I was speaking of failures, not normal wear. If you look at the industry data from parts rebuilder publications and so forth, or just check what parts are sold at dealers and parts stores, you will see plenty of items on Toyotas, Hondas, and so forth which are not replaced due to normal wear.

The reputation seems to be greater than the reality. That is why I think that Ford would really jolt Toyota and Honda by going to a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. That, combined with the new products, would be a powerful one-two punch. The 2006 Explorer & Mountaineer are excellent examples. They will be the second generation independent rear suspension designs, with many improvements, while vehicles such as the 4Runner still have a solid rear axle.
  • moeharrimoeharri Member Posts: 108
    The thing is, Ford could offer me an unlimited miles/year warranty for free, and I wouldn't take them up on it. My time is much more important to me (which is the same for some people and not the same for others). With the frequent trips (every other week for months on end) to fix issue after issue, it's not worth it. At first people would be excited about a longer warranty until they realize that the fixes aren't "free" but rather are very time consuming and come with many hassles from Ford's Oasis (?) system. Not to mention Ford would go out of business even sooner with all the repairs they'd be performing...just me 2 cents.
    would be met by GM and DCX and that TOY/HON would have to respond as well. It would be interesting to see if the current price war turned into a warranty war.
    I have never owned a car which fits what you describe (repairs every other week for months on end). My time goes for far more dollars than average, but I would not, and probably will not, hesitate to buy a 2006 Mountaineer now that my foray into Toyota land has been so miserable. I just can not imagine a vehicle as bad as what you describe in this day and age. Anyone with such a car needs to use the lemon law, sue the dealer or manufacturer, or more likely, find a better repair facility. I strongly suspect that such a situation would be the result of a lousy repair department. Even the cheapest cars today are much better than that.
    IS THE ONE YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • protectsecon1protectsecon1 Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to purchase a 2005 Explorer Sport. Occasionaly will tow boat with GVW of 3500 lbs.
    Will the 4.0L V6 work ? Some hills, nothing steep.
    Any thoughts appreciated. There is more selection with the the 4.0 L
    Why bother with the little engine? I doubt the mileage will be any better than the V8 on those hills and with the trailer. The V8 only costs a little more than the 6.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    get the towing package too. gives you some load headroom.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    The 4.6L V-8 is a better engine, will only cost you 1-2 mpg, and is a lot more fun, and will definitely tow better. I wouldn't even consider the 6 if I'm going to tow a boat. It'll do it, but the 8 will do it a lot better, and probably when towing, even save you gas...
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    No Doubt, go with the V8.
    E.D.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    *Clapping* Yes V8 definately, specially long term...
    consider towing with a 210 HP V6, just ain't got the guts...the V8 will certainly serve you better...if no towing, different story, but towing 3500 lbs just ain't right for a V6...IMHO
    Clapping* Yes V8 definitely, specially long term

Considering than the towing issue, I can understand going with the V8. However, "long term issue" I would like to address. I have a '02 XLT 2WD with the V6. Granted, the engine is inherently loud, but it has proven to be very reliable up to my present odometer of 41,000 miles. So it seems to be the thing to "knock the V6". But I don't understand why. On the highway, it gets a consistent 20mpg if you stay under 75mph. The V8 will not get this kind of mpg CONSISTENTLY on the highway. I will admit in the city the mpg is not that different between the V6 and V8. Of course, you will always have those who claim (when the moon and the stairs align-and the capricorn moon is on the rise... ) that you can get 20 mpg on the highway with the V8. :)
  • cubescubes Member Posts: 29
    I gotta agree somewhat with chuck1 on this V6/V8 thing. Having had both, an '02-V6 (lease) for 38K miles and presently an '04 with 13K on the clock, the six did great for us. I will add that it had the tow package (I didn't tow) and the V8 that we have does not. My wife has even commented that the V8 lacks a little off the line and I wonder if the rear gear ratio has some effect. Do I like the V8 rumble, you bet. I keep waiting for the thing to loosen up and get some better mpg numbers. The V6 did pretty good when we turned it in and the V8 is 2.5-3.0 less. We bought the '04 back in October because we liked the '02 so much. Bought it because we got a great deal also. It was a US Open (tennis) courtesy vehicle. A loaded Premier, everything except tow pkg, after rebates/discounts it came to $29300+tax. It had 1800 miles on it. Couldn't pass it up.

Anyway back to the original topic.......the six is good. Is it as good as the V8 long term. Probably not. Would I tow with it? I wouldn't be afraid to, with the tow package. Also, depends on what and how often.....When we got our '02 my son and I drove a V6 and an V8 back to back to back. There didn't seem to be that much of a difference. Of course, there was the V8 rumble. The V8 was an extra, I think, $700 bucks back then and after the test drives, I felt the V6 was enough (the misses puts 90% of the miles on). We're pretty flat out here. While we had it there were plenty of times that we had seven bodies and as much stuff as we could jam in. It never felt underpowered.

My next issue at hand is whether to trade up to the '06. Could you really have more horses AND better fuel mileage? Yeah!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    very funny chuck! i never said i got 20 mpg 'consistently', i did reach it a few times. just as an fyi, my 1991 mustang got 20.9 mpg when i filled it up on 6-24-03. that was the only month/day that matched today's date for a fill up. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Absolutely!!
    V8!
    cubes:

As I posted in the 2006 area, the dealer closest to my house, one I have used for service and like, is offering me $145 over invoice to order a 2006 Explorer Limited 4x2 V8 with options 96B (ultimate convenience), 76R (reverse proximity sensors), 21E (side / curtain air bags), 422 (CA emissons), HH (dark cherry exterior), and ZW (black interior).

I have gotten 19MPG on the highway with my 2002 Mountaineer V8, even with the 3.73 rear end which comes with the tow package. I expect that the 2006 Explorer with the improved V8 and 6 speed transmission and the 3.55 rear end will do significantly better, and accelerate better when needed.
  • midas72midas72 Member Posts: 18
    I don't plan to do any towing so I think a 2003 XLT with a V6 would be fine -- thoughts?
    midas72 - what do you plan to carry? If you do not want the V8, you might do better with the Freestyle. It is very nice. Lack of a telescoping steering wheel makes it difficult for me to sit the way I am comfortable, but you may be very happy with it. Once the Freestyle with the 3.5 V6 and the Mercury twin are out, I suspect that most people who might buy an Explorer / Mountaineer with a V6 would prefer them.

By the way, I am ordering a 2006 Explorer because the Explorer Limited does not force you to buy the 3rd row seat and rear air conditioning, things I have never used on my Mountaineer, so it will be less expensive. I also think that the new Mountaineer clear tail lights look too much like the lights many of the trouble-maker types are putting on their vehicles.
  • midas72midas72 Member Posts: 18
    Other than my dog not much. 2003 v8's hard to come by see a lot more v6's for sale. Presently have a 95 Rodeo and want to upgrade a bit.
    The Freestyle is a fake! OK, I guess it probably is a decen vehicle, but c'mon...it's a beefed up AWD Taurus station wagon! They are doing what Subaru did...took the Legacy Wagon and are selling it as an "SUV". It's not. Freestyle is a STATIONWAGEN. Period!
    The Freestyle is not at all related to the Taurus. Do some research, and better yet, drive one. I was skeptical too, but a test drive was very impressive.
    Well- the Explorer will be a HUGE upgrade from the 95 Rodeo. Not that the Rodeo is bad, for the money they cost.

FREESTYLE: 1) I heard it is being discontinued after this year and reborn as a Mercury?

2) If you haven't driven one, you shouldn't knock it. It's not a Taurus under there, it's a Volvo, and it's a great station wagon......
    but it LOOKS like a Taurus outside.
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    They do a great job making handsome cars with great interiors. Had a 93 Explorer. In those olden days even the smallish V-6 seemed like plenty, it had the first standard sound system (not counting an earlier BMW I owned) I didn't feel the need to replace, it did almost every well, but I found the ride close to punishing. Had a couple of SUV's in between but bought an Expedition in 99. Always thought it looked like a swollen Explorer, but the interior was excellent, ride was great, never understood the complaint they were underpowered (I had the bigger engine), and it worked for me except for the dismal gas milage. I'm a little O/C and check my milage most tanks. Never could beat 11 -12 in town or 15 -16 highway. I currently drive a 2wd 04 Tahoe with the 5.3 V8. For some reason, the sleepy giant knows how to make a beefy 295HP V8 that can deliver 15+ MPG around town and 20 on the highway. If I've read it once, I've read it a hundred times. . . .Ford SUV's would be perfect if we could just slip in a GM Vortec 5.3 engine. My 2 cents.
    Is this a serious statement?
    Serious or not, we have a Ford Freestyle discussion for your enjoyment. This one focuses on the Explorer/Mountaineer.

Steve, Host
    Hey, I agree with everything you said, well maybe just one thing I would say.... The Tahoe seems to get a little better mileage, I agree. I've never figured out how either, because they're so low tech. But, I have raced many a Tahoe with my Navigators, and beat 'em if the Tahoe is stock every time. Most of my Chevy pals who have Tahoe's have put dual exhaust with Thrush pipes on 'em to get some more power out of them. I don't know, but I still think Ford has the finest SUV design in the world so far. The only close competitor so far is the Nissan Armada, but it's got a ton of reliability problems so far.
    Yes it is serious...the Freestyle/500 looks like the Taurus. Exactly.
    Having just bought an 05 Taurus, I'm glad to hear that. But I think you're wrong - and trolling here........
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    Nevermind anyone saying it looks like a Taurus (even though I like how the Taurus looks). It's more like a lean and low Explorer which is a nice thing. If Ford can make it reliable and satisfying to drive, they could have a winner. Ford is pretty good at pulling something outta their hat when against the wall. . .Taurus in the 80's, Explorer in the 90's. Freestyle could be just the right blend of SUV and sedan (kinda like the RX was for Lexus). I'm seeing a bunch of these relatively new vehicles around town. There aren't many cars (these days) for which I twist my neck to get a better look. Among them are the Chrysler 300 (don't want a sedan but if I did. . .), the Dodge Magnum wagon (pushing the limits but may be on the mark), Nissan Z (totally useless but very handsome), and the Ford Freestyle (Ford hit the target visually if the car works mechanically). Shallow as it is, the public rushes to buy a handsome car, and ditches them just as quickly if they don't do the job. Hope this one works for Ford. I will check it out in my 24 month cycle. Love how they look.
    As an '02 Explorer owner, I am very disappointed on the "looks" of the freestyle. Is it just me....or does it look like a mini-Explorer? Not that it is a "bad thing". However, the Explorer is coming out as a new design in '06. And it is my understanding that the 500 got such lukewarm reaction that a "refreshing" was immediately ordered and will be out next. I don't know where the Ford designers are, (maybe out to lunch) but Chrysler has left them in the dust! :confuse:
    Have you seen the actual photos of the 2006 Explorer and Mountaineer? What about the Fusion, Milan, and Zephyr? How about the Mustang? The Fusion and Exploer show the new look of Ford, and the Montego, Mountaineer, and Milan the new Mercury look. Both looks are more classy and sophisticated than many competitors, and the Ford interiors are much nicer than the plain, even cheap interiors some of the others are now selling.
    I agree with everything you said......What happened with the Freestyle? :confuse: Also, the 500 and Focus? The Focus when it first came out, looked "cutting edge." Then they "squared it out" to look as boring as the 500. So three of the models IMHO, are extremely boring!
    Here's a diversion for y'all:

What's the point in designing ugly cars?

Now back to the Explorer/Mountaineer?

Steve, Host
    Chrysler and Nissan have the artists today, for sure. Ford is going for a "corporate recognition" look, DNA if you will. And I sort of like it, but they could jazz it up a bit.
    It's just you. It looks NOTHING like a mini-Explorer except for the blue oval. It looks like a Taurus station wagon.
    Daryl,
    That's a BRILLIANT observation! :cry:
  • bjohnrinibjohnrini Member Posts: 3
    2004 Mercury Mountaineer

Does anyone know if I have a device (gps unit - RM300) plugged into the power plug and have the unit turned off, does it drain any battery power? there is a green light on the cord of the device that always stays green? I was wondering if this is drawing any power?

Also, does anyone know of anyway to stop the power plug from providing power when the vehicle is turned off? I would rather have my gps turn on when I turn my vehicle on and turn off when the vehicle is turned off.

Thanks