Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    No, but now you know why it was for sale.
  • overcomeovercome Member Posts: 4
    i'm new to these forums. i'm looking for advice on purchasing a 2003 mer. mountaineer.
    Here is a link to the specific vehicle...
    http://www.colonialautosales.com/VehDetails.asp?CarID=2755856

Any thoughts, comments? I am trading in my santa fe b/c I need more room. this mercury is fully loaded and i'll be honest, the luxury aspect appeals to me!

TIA
    Ashley
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    As far as the price goes, you can appraise it here.

Steve, Host
    Thank you for your response. After using the appraiser, I feel that the price is fair, and am hoping to get some knocked off anyway.

I'm more interested in anyone's experience with a Mer. Mt. 2003. I've read all the online reviews etc. but would like some "been there done that" experiences.

Thanks!
    Ashley
    The 03 Mountaineers are a good year to buy. They are past the first year blues the 02 can tend to have, and missed the 04 Transmission fluid issue, that ruined so many clutch packs on lots of Fords with the 5 speed transmission. You should be pretty happy with it. I've had 5 Explorer/Mountaineers. I was very happy with all of them except the 04 I have now, which is on the third transmisison. But that's been the only problem with it. IMO, they are the best designed SUV on the market. Not put together to Toyota standards quite, but a better design.
    Thank you! This is exactly the type of information I was looking for.

I am going to test drive it again next week and then I will have to make a decision.

:confuse:

Anyone else??
    Ashley
  • 03mercowner03mercowner Member Posts: 7
    Come on, was looking for serious helpful feedback not a sarcastic remark.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    the plastic panel on my '02 explorer has been cracked for a while.
    last time i was in for service, i asked if there was any program to get it fixed. the sa said no.
    i resigned myself to the fact i was just going to have to pay to get it fixed, so i went up the to body shop to get an estimate to get it fixed.
    the lady at the desk said she would be happy to write up an estimate.
    right after that the body shop manager (ex assisant service manager)came out and we talked a bit.
    i knew him from way back when a tech damaged my car while in for service.
    instead of going into a long story, bottom line is the dealership and ford are going to pick up the whole $475.
    i even asked about them detailing it(my expense), but they said don't bother, it will look like new when you get it back.
    eventhough i had a 12+ hour day at work, i'm pretty jazzed. :shades:
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • 03mercowner03mercowner Member Posts: 7
    Did you ever find a solution to this? My 03 Mountaineer AWD V8 does the same thing intermittently. Never does it for the mechanic and no codes show up. I've owned it since about 18,900 miles for just over a year and noticed the problem... now with 25,200 miles on it still doing it occasionally. Never does it when accelerating.
    I'm sorry - I didn't mean to offend you. My comment was not helpful. I apologize.....
  • virgiesmomvirgiesmom Member Posts: 59
    I had the service mgr drive it for about an hour with me tagging along. Could not duplicate. Took back into garage and they downloaded new software and never had the problem since. This about 2 years ago. Which s/w I don't remember but I might have it in my service records. Let me know...
  • teddyjacksonteddyjackson Member Posts: 10
    Can anyone recommend some sites that sell aftermarket accessories for a 2005 Explorer? I'm looking for running boards, tail light covers, etc. thanks!
  • goodsgoods Member Posts: 3
    Sorry for double posting, but I think this thread gets more looks

I saw a ad on TV yesterday for either $269 or $279 a month lease. I live in NJ. I have been looking all over for the details of the lease because I just caught the last few seconds of the commercial. Most of the dealerships around here keep those incentive deals secret and try to hit you with a $600 lease for an explorer with a few options.

Any help on finding where those lease deals are located online or if anyone has the current specs on that deal would be greatly appreciated. My guess is you have to be ex military, have never owned a ford, there needs to be an eclipse of the sun and you must have the first name Henry.

Thanks
  • frrussrefrrussre Member Posts: 41
    I am on my 6th lease. First on this site work out the price, including loaded equipment. That will be a guide to the buying cost of the vehicle.
    Always find an advertisement Television/radio/newspapers, then add or subtract for less or more equipment. Never walk into a dealer cold and ask how much to lease a vehicle, only go to ones that you have ads for, even then, tell them you want to buy, not lease. Get the, buying price and use that as a basis for the lease price. Never lease for more then the life of the original warranty, i.e. never lease for more then 36 months, if warranty is for 36 months. Only lease from, the car manufactures bank, never a 3rd party bank, always get GAP insurance included. Watch out for last minute extras, don't pay for extended warranties,"Back end".
    Reg. Frank R.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    First this is the Program for MAY since the one for June isn't out yet.

The advertised lease was $299 per month.

This was a 4x4 Eddie Bauer with MSRP of $33,070. No moonroof and no 3rd row. 39 month 12,000 per year with $2393 due at signing plus 4 year reg and title fees at $399, Dealer Doc fee at ??? and sales tax.

If you saw one advertised for lower, it was either more money out of pocket or rebates that you may not qualify for.

Most people put down less (about $1,500) get a more expensive truck and end up with payments in the mid 400s.

Mark.
  • frrussrefrrussre Member Posts: 41
    The Edddie Bauer deal has been around since Jan 06, I think. Here in NYC, they have been banging away with it, ads everywhere. its a stripped down EB. They have leased a lot of them, I see them all over the city. I did not take the deal, I have 2006 V8 XLT loaded.
    Reg. Frank R.
    Here are the Top 20 vehicles in the U.S. market as of
    June 2, 2006

May 2006 May 2005 Chng. '06 YTD '05 YTD Chng.
    1 Ford F - Series PU 70,175 74,494 -5.8% 334,725 335,269 -0.2%
    2 Chevrolet Silverado PU 55,316 60,473 -8.5% 258,378 274,869 -6.0%
    3 Toyota Camry / Hybrid 43,112 39,951 7.9% 177,090 178,890 -1.0%
    4 Toyota Corolla / Matrix 41,550 31,152 33.4% 159,992 147,146 8.7%
    5 Honda Accord / Hybrid 36,967 30,698 20.4% 145,529 143,304 1.6%
    6 Dodge Ram PU 29,599 38,051 -22.2% 150,799 163,094 -7.5%
    7 Honda Civic / Hybrid 29,006 24,765 17.1% 138,744 115,577 20.0%
    8 Chevrolet Impala 23,702 19,411 22.1% 114,014 107,181 6.4%
    9 Dodge Caravan 22,685 22,115 2.6% 103,876 103,811 0.1%
    10 Nissan Altima 21,981 23,900 -8.0% 102,785 108,237 -5.0%
    11 Chevrolet Cobalt 21,247 23,649 -10.2% 93,023 75,537 23.1%
    12 Ford Focus 20,391 18,047 13.0% 80,559 82,963 -2.9%
    13 GMC Sierra PU 17,756 19,255 -7.8% 80,957 87,210 -7.2%
    14 Chrysler Town & Country 17,326 17,194 0.8% 68,943 78,350 -12.0%
    15 Hyundai Sonata 17,035 8,043 111.8% 75,622 46,974 61.0%
    16 Honda Odyssey 16,887 16,412 2.9% 72,941 71,878 1.5%
    17 Ford Taurus 16,786 20,502 -18.1% 83,287 92,879 -10.3%
    18 Ford Explorer 16,717 19,539 -14.4% 77,205 105,925 -27.1%
    19 Chevrolet TrailBlazer 15,573 22,556 -31.0% 71,751 87,847 -18.3%
    20 Ford Mustang 15,559 19,721 -21.1% 72,119 81,541 -11.6%

Note that only 2 SUVs even hit the chart this month, and both are losing volume. However, the Trailblazer is losing much faster than the Explorer is....
    thanks for posting those numbers.
    surprises me that many popular' vehicles are not in the top 20. 'hemi' got a lot of press. only 2 toyotas in the list, plus no lexus. weird.
  • goodsgoods Member Posts: 3
    Thanks fellas...I will keep hunting for the best price and Frank thanks for the tips, I didn't even think about that warranty issue. They have been pushing the lease for 39 months.

Thanks again
    There are plenty of XLTs for the same or more cost than an Eddie Bauer. These XLTs have a lower lease residule, about 2%.

The best deal is still an Eddie Bauer without the Luxary package.

Mark.
    Yeah, how bad must Chrysler feel, they have NOTHING on the list, not even the vaunted 300.
    the ram truck, caravan, and t&c made the list, but nothing else. probably the same as 10 years ago.
    Yes, you're right, I meant of their car line....
  • teddyjacksonteddyjackson Member Posts: 10
    I'm trying to buy a retractable cargo cover for an '05 Explorer. Ford wants about $150 to buy it. I've searched online but have not found any sites that sell them. Does anyone know of any sites that would sell this item?
  • kwikbillkwikbill Member Posts: 4
    Try E-bay...have been looking for one myself, and I have found several on there...
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I know AdvanceTrac works in 2WD mode, but is it also working when an Explorer is in a 4WD ControlTrac mode? I'm not entirely convinced that AdvanceTrac even works while an Explorer is in any 4WD mode, i.e. 4X4 Auto. It appears ControlTrac takes over all applications and forgoes any of the AdvanceTrac advantages when 4WD is engaged. Am I wrong?

I see however that Mountaineer's AdvanceTrac works in conjunction with the AWD. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    AdvanceTrac is Ford's stability control system and works 100% of the time that the vehicle is in motion regardless of what mode your 4WD system is running in.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Thanks baggs32.....this is the answer I was hoping for.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please visit the Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer: MPG-Real World Numbers discussion and report on your gas mileage. Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    If you need it, EBay sells it. I have bought many things for my Mountaineert there. Guarantee atleast a half dozen covers available there.
    I just returned from a 1000 mile road trip in my 04 Mountaineer, Premier, AWD V-8. I admit to being very pleasantly surprised with its performance. It's the first road trip we've ever had it on, as we always took our Navigator before. It's gone now, and this is our Vacation car.

I was very surprised at how well it handled, how quiet it was, absolutely zero wind noise, minimal road noise, and it was nearly as comfortable to sit in as the Navigator. Never got tired, frankly. The seat was excellent.

If it had a weakness, it's in the HP department. Even though it's a V-8, and there's "enough" power for all hills and vales, it's just "barely enough", and there's none to spare. I am used to better power from the Navigator I guess. It feels a little weak on high end acceleration.

Overall though, I give it a surprisingly great thumbs up as a road car. As I said, I was surprised and delighted. :P
  • stewtostewto Member Posts: 11
    Anyone know of a fix for this: All of sudden, I have the following locking issues:
    1. external keypad will not lock the doors
    2. once locked, using the keypad will set off the alarm until the code sequence is completed
    3. the driver side door lock switch does not work unless the ignition is "on"
    4. the interior lights remain on even after locking the car with the keyfob, but eventually time-out and turn off

I have tried reprogramming the door lock system, even tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery in an effort to "reset" any confused computer.
    My great idea was the re-boot, and you've already tried that. I hope it's under warranty, because it sounds like your BCM is failing...... and that's a fortune! (Body Control Module)
    have your battery checked. you may need a new one.
    Yeah.....could be a low voltage issue. Good thought.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Ford Explorer
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • aztec1sunaztec1sun Member Posts: 8
    Ok, while trying to merge into traffic I step on the gas pedal and .... NOTHING! Takes some 10-20 seconds for the car to take off, I mean a guy could get killed like that. In addition the car corners like water bed. Been complaining to the dealer about that for about 2 years, got various answers - my fave is this one from one of the Ford mechs 'oh, it's the new drive-by-wire system, they all do that'
    I finally got fed up when the backup warning system died without any warning, ABS light went on intermittently, and the Tire pressure monitor kept telling me the air is low every time the outside temp dipped below 55. All of this happend once before on the same car and was fixed about 6 months prior. Ah well, what did you expect from a $40K car?
    Part 2:
    So they fix it. Replaced the fuse, fixed the short, reprogrammed the transmission. Acceleration is greatly improved, handling is fantastic! (for a truck, that is), corners like a midsize car - perfect. It just feels much tighter, it's actually fun to drive now!
    So the question is - does reprogramming the tranny change the handling/cornering/damping characteristics?
    It is suppose to do that. Your tire presure drops 1lb/sqin for ever 10 degree drop in temp. If you put the right presure into the tires when they are cold, the light won't come on.

This is the whole point of the system, to tell you when external conditions affect the tire presure.

Mark.
  • jcakabennyjcakabenny Member Posts: 5
    Ladies & Gents,

I have virtually the same problem and am baffled. Installed a brand new battery and the problem persists.
    One slight difference in my issue is that the rear passenger door does not lock electronically, you must manually lock the door. But even after locking manually the alarm will not set. It beeps twice indicating that not all doors are closed but when you are in the vehicle, it never displays the door ajar message?
    Check all fuses etc, still no resolution. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jcolgan1
    Thanks to all for the ideas; sorry took so long for me to follow-up. I've cried uncle and went to the dealer: Their report is a "shorted security control module" - $381 installed. I gave the green light and it should be ready tomorrow; I am not only hoping this remedies the situation, but also addresses the fact that the horn stopped working. (Dealer says it was horn ring contact which requires complete replacement of air bag assemble for $800 - but I suspect it's all related to the security problems - will post resolution after tomorrow so others can reference).
    Resolution was to replace a fried Security Control Module. Parts and labor ~$400
    Case closed.
  • lrmet2lrmet2 Member Posts: 12
    I have an 2002 Mountaineer V8 AWD, bought it new. It's up to 80K miles and at 75K the extended warranty I bought ran out. I haven't been a real fan of my mercury mountaineer, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The dealer's idea of service is to question me when I mention something that's wrong with the truck. It started the day I picked it up. The passenger side mirror was cracked and I had to argue with the service dept to have them repair it under warranty. Every time I went in to get service it was hard to get them to even look up TSBs for things. I went in there with the TSB numbers I found on the internet and the guy at the service desk told me it was invalid and refused to work on it. I finally gave up. Partly it's my fault for not finding and going to another Mercury dealer but my other car is an Infiniti and service there is quite the opposite experience. TSBs that I never got them to give attention to include the cracked plastic on the tailgate, the buzzing of the transfer case when it's cold, the arm rest they never fixed right when they replaced the passenger side mirror, jerky transmission. I can live with all of them. But now the oil gauge is going to zero when it's cold. It lasts from a second to 15 seconds and sometimes it repeats. I'm convinced it's a sensor because the engine runs fine without any change in how it sounds when it happens. I've liked the truck for it's towing capacity. I used to tow a boat every weekend but now it's only three times a year. My truck before this was a 1991 Explorer. 6 cyl. It lasted for 147K before I sold it. I thought the new '02 would be as good a truck but I'm sure I wouldn't buy another. I'd like to buy american, especially in the truck category, but the quality and how it's serviced have made me realize there is a reason why people are deciding to buy more reliable brands. And this mercury dealer is a Lincoln dealer too. We bought Mercury because we thought we were getting the higher level of quality and service than the standard Ford.
    There are good honest dealers out there. I assure you that if anyone at my dealer acted the way you described, they would get fired.

The fact is that right now, there are TOO MANY FORD DEALERS! The worst are already going out of business. You can do your part to speed up the weeding out process by refusing to go to a crappy dealer.

Mark.
  • skiextreme2skiextreme2 Member Posts: 30
    Hi, I just bought a 2000 Explorer and had the same problem (wiper motor wouldn't start). Everything worked when I checked the vehicle before buying it. After reading your post about the back latch, I opened the rear window and closed it then opened the hatch and closed it and it now works fine. :)
  • ottavottav Member Posts: 31
    I have a 2005 Mountaineer with the 4.6L V8. The vehicle has 13,500 miles on it. A week ago I encountered a problem with the truck

When I went to back the vehicle out of my garage, it only moved about 1 foot then stopped, as if something was blocking the tires. After I got out to check that this was not the case, I tried again with the same result. I called roadside assistance and when the tow truck driver came, he tried to back it out as well, with initially the same result. Then he gave it a lot of gas and it moved, but made a large bang from underneath the vehicle. He seemed to think it had something to do with the differential.

The truck was towed to the dealership. I received a call from the service manager the next day, who told me they were not able to find anything wrong with the truck. It has also since worked fine for me, but I am still nervous about taking the truck on a long ride.

Does anyone have any ideas, or run into a similar situation?
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    Just a couple of questions? What was the temp. in the garage? Were the wheels wet from either rain, snow or ice? I had a similar problem with an Aerostar several years ago, and it was ice in the brakes. Of course they were drum brakes, but could be a possibility.
  • ottavottav Member Posts: 31
    It's been mild in the Northeast, so I don't think temperature was a factor. It was at least 50 degrees in my garage. It hadn't rained either, so I don't think water was an issue either.