Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• wesleydwesleyd Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone else noticed that the pedals dont seem to be very well isolated? I can feel the intermittent wipers for crying out loud. I also get a strong vibration at about 1800-2000 RPM.

I have the adjustable pedals?

Anyone else have this problem?
  • njdevilsrnnjdevilsrn Member Posts: 185
    I've owned 3 Explorers ('97, '99, '00) and all 3 had pedal vibration with the wipers on. Good to see Ford is keeping with this annoying tradition.
  • curyanecuryane Member Posts: 3
    I have just purchased a 2002 limited and love it. However, the fixed antenna is a problem because of my garage height. It is scraping the paint off my garage trim. I would like to replace the fixed the antenna with either a shorter antenna or retractable. Anyone have any aftermarket product suggestions? I can't figure it out.

Thanks.
  • kheintzelmankheintzelman Member Posts: 26
    Because I was so impressed with the Husky (brand) color-matched floor trays I ordered for my new 2002 Explorer XLT, I decided to go ahead and order a Husky rear cargo liner as well. Unfortunately, when this $100.00 product arrived at my local aftermarket dealer, I was very dissatisfied with it. It was shipped in a rolled-up shape, and upon attempting to unroll it and form it, its side walls proved to be severely buckled, creased, scored and dimpled. In all likelihood, no amount of time would eliminate this ratty look, and I refused to accept this incredibly over-priced junk. Instead, I ordered the Ford color-matched, rear cargo liner, and while this product was also shipped rolled-up, it is thicker, feels/looks more substantial, is better molded, and has better "memory" of its original shape when unfurled. In short, the Ford cargo liner looks great, and in my opinion it's superior to the Husky cargo liner.
  • gregb882gregb882 Member Posts: 75
    I have a 2002 XLT, V-6, 4X4, 3.73 rear end with about 5500 miles on it. So far I'm pleased. But I have had a minor problem with stalling. It's happened twice now after I've been driving (fully warmed up), stopped the vehicle, and then put it in reverse to back up. While I did not let the tranny pause in neutral before putting it into reverse, I wasn't moving forward either. I have also had a few problems with hard starting when the engine was partially warned up (like running to a local store then coming back out in a few minutes to start it again). It is an early September 2001 build so it should have the updates already installed. Is anyone else having a problem?
  • haironghairong Member Posts: 153
    This seems to be a common problem that has been overlooked by all auto makers. My current truck ('00 Nissan Frontier) and the car before it ('95 Contour) has/had the same problem. And neither Nissan nor Ford dealer can find what is wrong. I say it's been overlooked 'cause in normal driving this scenario is very rare. I only discovered this problem after moving to a new house, which is only half mile away from my kid's day care center. Had I started the engine and let it idle for five minutes every morning, this wouldn't have happened. But the truck is a lease, Oh well. Then I tried it with the 'tour, same problem.

BTW, I never have any cold start problem with the two vehicles.

I would like to know the reason too.
    Thanks for the input. You're right - none of my problems occurred when cold, just partially warm. I'll let you know if I learn anything.
    I've got a 2002 V8 XLT with towing package (4660 miles logged since 11/17/01), and fortunately, I've not had any of the symptoms you describe. I wonder if your problem could be related to the quality of the fuel you're using? I feed my truck Shell (87 octane) gas whenever possible, and I do allow the engine to idle on all start-ups for at least 1-2 minutes, certainly until the computer kicks-down the RPMs. In addition, I try to always fill the tank when it drops to half-empty, since this may help to avoid the possible formation of moisture withing the tank, especially in cold weather. My truck has never stalled, and even on the coldest mornings so far this winter (my truck is garaged), it has always started immediately when I turn the key. In fact, I really love this V8 engine.
  • thadjoshthadjosh Member Posts: 2
    Any news on changes for the 2003 Explorer?
  • cashcowcashcow Member Posts: 1
    There has been some discussion here about different floor mats between the XLT and EB. I picked up an EB 2002 the other day. My floor mats were not in the vehicle since the parts department is not open on Sundays. I went back yesterday to pick them up and they were still in the plastic packaging. The piece of paper inside the packaging said XLT and had the a Ford part number on it. I asked both my salesman and the parts department (on separate occasions) about the "EB" mats and they both said there is only one type of mat for the Explorer. Ford's website clearly indicates that the EB and Limited get 18oz mats and the XLT gets 12oz mats, but know one seems to know anything about this. I even tried the 1-800 number for Ford and they were pretty much useless. Any suggestions? A part number for the 18oz mats would be a big help if anyone has had some success with this. I know it's not that big of a deal, but I would like to know who is right, the dealership or Ford's website. My money is on the website. Thanks
  • mountainownermountainowner Member Posts: 28
    I did not like the mats in our Mountaineer either, they are very small,Mercury did not include a 3rd row mat, and a cargo mat was optional. I bought the 'catch all' mats from Niftyproducts.com for all three rows plus the cargo area and they are great. In my opinion they are much, much better than the factory mats. They are larger, have 'edges' to keep dirt and sand on the mat and 'lock' into the carpet, the 2nd and 3rd rows also cover the middle section. They are costly, but they keep the SUV clean. There are many places to buy them on the net. If your interested call Nifty and they will give you the exact part numbers. The color also matches perfect.
  • tvbraintvbrain Member Posts: 10
    Excuse me for not knowing the cause of, and not going back thru all the old posts to discover the cause of, the rattle under the dash.
    I'm at 13,000 miles on my 2002 XLT and I've noticed a rattle under the dash during freeway driving. I've also heard a rattle from the roof toward the back of the truck. I'd like to appear like I know what I'm talking about before I take it in to have it looked at and I remember it being discussed on this board a few months ago.
    I've also pretty much worn a hole thru my floor mat at 13,000 miles.
    Other than that. I love it.
    kheintzelman: My XLT is also garaged and I generally use Mobil or Shell, too. Although I don't idle for 1-2 minutes, I do give it about 1/2 minute and drive thru a subdivision for about a mile so RPM's are low while it's warming. Besides, the stalling never happens cold. It's when warm and going from forward to reverse. I've also experienced hard starting when the vehicle is luke warm.

mountainowner: I, too, bought the Catch-All Mats. You're right, they're terrific!
  • tonyd38tonyd38 Member Posts: 7
    I'm about to purchase a new 2002 Explorer XLT. I've done a lot of research on this model specifically focusing on safety features. For starters I will be ensuring that the model I purchase has been manufactured after November 1, 2001 because of the safety modifications made in production models after that date. Having three children I will be purchasing the 3rd seat option. My questions are as follows: (1) what is the general consensus on the side air bag option for children riding in the second row seat? Are these side airbags safe and/or are they recommended knowing that children will be in the second (and 3rd) row seats?; (2) do the seat belts in the 3rd row employ pretensioner/energy management with adjustable height as the 1st and 2nd row shoulder belts do?; (3) in addition to the 3rd row seat are there any other absolute recommended options for the XLT that I should consider/get? Thanks ...
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Do any of the Lincoln cars (i.e., Continental, Town Car) use the same 4-speed electronic transmissions as found in '95 and newer Explorers/Mountaineers?
  • mwmcdonald1mwmcdonald1 Member Posts: 17
    The seatbelts on the third row are not height adjustable but are of the pretensioning variety. I have a Mountaineer, but I'm sure they are the same in this respect.

If you plan on regularly employing the third row seat you'll definately want the auxillary A/C.

Good luck.
  • tonyd38tonyd38 Member Posts: 7
    mwmcdonald1 Feb 2, 2002 4:44pm

Thanks for the advice. Any advice or experience/knowledge on the side airbag & children question? If my children will be occupying the 2nd and 3rd row seats, are the side airbags a bad idea and really not recommend.
    I did get the side airbags on our Mountaineer. Even in a carseat or booster seat a child will be sitting lower than an adult, so I think the kids will be fine.
  • twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    tonyd38,
    If by side air bags you mean the side head curtain airbags than by all means order them. I've got them on my '02 Mountaineer as well as my 3 series BMW. I will never own a car again without them. Don't worry about the kids. They do not deploy out as far as a front driver or passenger air bag. The purpose of the side head curtain is twofold. Primary reason is to prevent head injury from a persons head hitting the side of the vehicle "B" pillar or door frame in a roll over or severe side impact. Secondarily they help prevent intrusion into the passenger compartment in a severe side impact. Think of it this way, is your brain and the brains of your family worth $400.00?
    I also agree with mwmcdonald1 in that kids will be sitting lower in the seat and if they are in a car seat or booster seat may not be affected at all with the side head curtain airbags.
    Good luck and let us know what you decide.
  • indierockmomindierockmom Member Posts: 6
    If kids in the second and third row are likely to be too low for the Air Bags, will they protect them at all in an impact? Am confused about that and appreciate any input. I am considering purchasing an 02 with the third row and have two kids (for now) in car seats. Thanks!
    i am considering a 02 XLT with a third row, running boards with 11k miles (was probably a rental). list is 22995. does this sound like a good deal/good idea? i am concerned about some of the early "issues" with the car (pre-Nov. 01 manufacturing date) and wonder whether that issue warrants spending more money (ugh) and getting a spanking new one...
  • jd150jd150 Member Posts: 13
    What differences are in the post Nov.'01 builds?
    indierockmom-

I think having the side curtain airbags are going to be of some benefit, even to the kids. When deployed they are supposed to cover something like 70% of the side glass. Depending on the accident this may be of no help or it could reduce the potential for injury by some degree. I don't think the side airbags will increase the risk of injury to the kids, so to me it's worth the money.
  • joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    The design of the build was changed to reinforce the structure so the mountaineer/explorer would fair better in the crash tests.

The appearance has not changed.

I had one built new to avoid the pre Nov lot.

It was recently chrash tested the post Nov model and faired well in the tests.
  • td18td18 Member Posts: 1
    I'm continuing to receive conflicting information on the safety of the optional 1st and 2nd row side curtain airbags when having children in the second and 3rd row seats. Some of the remarks on here have indicated that they are safe for children while others have indicated that they are not. Additionally I believe that the editioral staff here at Edmunds is dead set against side curtain air bags when children will be sitting in the rows/seats near them.
    Can anyone provide me with information on this subject. My yound children will be sitting in the second and thrid row seats. One will be in a car seat and two will not. They are all under 10 years old. Are the optional side curtain airbags safe for children? Lastly can anyone tell me if full LATCH is implemented for both the second and 3rd row seats?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    PBS' MotorWeek Announces 2002 Drivers' Choice Awards

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Does anyone know the difference between the 4WD Auto in the 2002 Control-Trac and the AWD offered in prior years and in the current Mountaineer? What are the percentages of front/rear power on the AWD? Is it rear only until needed? Does it change as conditions do? Up to what percent? For the 4WD Auto, I know it is rear only until front is needed...up to what percent can go to the front?
    Overall, I continue to be quite happy with my 2002 XLT with V8, 4WD, power windows/locks, towing package, leather, etc. However, I've noticed that my vehicle's door windows seem to have poorly designed window strippings (if that's the right term). More specifically, as a SIDE window is raised or lowered, if either the window or this window stripping are wet, what I'm noticing is that the side windows are not being adequately "squeegeed" or stripped of water/moisture. For example, after washing and drying my truck (and windows) with towels, if I subsequently roll down any side windows, then roll them back up, the windows are not being tightly squeegeed by the door's window stripping, and these side windows then display a rather heavy, "stucco"-like film of water, and when this dries, it looks really cruddy. I actually had my dealer replace these parts on the driver's side door window, yet the problem persists for this window, and in fact, it might be worse. Is anyone else noticing this annoying problem? Please advise.

Regarding the 2002 Mountaineer's AWD system, I did a lot of web reading on both vehicles (Ford and Mercury) before I decided on the 2002, 4WD, V8 Explorer XLT, and here's what I repeatedly read: The AWD of the Mountaineer is not regarded as being rugged, robust, truck-like, or suitable for more serious off-roading, pulling, etc. Rather, the Mountaineer's AWD system was evaluated as being designed to handle nothing more demanding than snowy suburban streets, or well-graded gravel roads "on the way to the mailbox". I repeatedly read that this AWD system is not designed to real "truck-like" standards; that it is more intended for use strictly as a "suburban shuttle", and that if one needs a more rugged SUV (more pulling power, etc.), then the more truck-like 4WD design of the Explorer may be a better choice than the AWD Mountaineer.
  • g159g159 Member Posts: 23
    AWD-Fixed torque split of about 33%f 66%r on 96-01 V8 explorers. Powers front and rear all of the time. I think it only locks the viscous coupling with slipping wheels, but that the torque split remains the same-could be wrong.
    Controltrac- I don't know. They rarely publish this info.
  • radarnavradarnav Member Posts: 2
    Anyone got any good info on the Sport Trac? I'm getting ready to purchase in the next few days, and would like to know of any problems with the vehicle.

Were the Explorer modifications of Nov 01 incorporated into the Sport Trac also?
    Anyone know exactly what changes were made as of Nov.'01?
    What is the disadvantage of the pre Nov. builds? Anything significant?
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I don't exactly what they changed, but they were changes that were meant to improve performance in crash tests, specifically the IIHS frontal offset crash test, I believe. Ford requested a delay in testing so they could incorporate some type of change, structural I assume.
  • gregb5gregb5 Member Posts: 82
    The '02 Explorer and Sport Trac have very little in common; only the 4.0 SOHC engine. The frame and chassis are not the same. It's not possible to compare the Explorer with the Sport Trac in the areas of frame, suspension, ride, etc.

You might try the Sport Trac forum to see what's new for '02.
    does anyone know if it's possible to install shoulder seatbelts for the middle seat in the second row?
  • nickm2nickm2 Member Posts: 11
    If I'm not mistaken, the production changes were effective 10/1, not November- at least that's what the IIHS website says, and there was something a couple pages ago about that. Anyone know how to find out the manf. date of a vehicle from the VIN #? I know if you look at the doorjamb its on there, but I'm reviewing dealer inventory on the web, and I'd like to know if the dealer has a post 10/01 vehicle on the lot before I trek all the way down there. Thanks!
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Try this web address. I don't know if it is accurate, but it is a place to start. I don't see anything mentioning specific dates of manufacture. You should be able to decipher which vehicles are the newest ones, however.

http://www.autoinsurancetips.com/vin.htm

Hope it helps.

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/pb02-17-01/index.html

A Light off-road event in Southern New Jersey! Come enjoy the trails!

-mike

• nickm2nickm2 Member Posts: 11
    OK- I've been all over just about all the boards trying to figure out the deal with the V6 vs. the V8. I've seen some places that the type of V6 that Ford uses has historically had problems, but I thought I saw the same thing about the V8 on another board. HELP!! I don't really care that much about better acceleration or MPG or the extra 800 bucks or whatever for the V8- I just want to get the engine that's LEAST likely to have problems- anyone have a definitive answer on this? Thanks in advance. By the way, it seems at least in the Phoenix area, if you want a post-October build (to get the better safety build as dicsussed earlier)- you're putting in an order to the manufacturer, which stinks because you lose the rebates they have going right now.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The data does not support Firestone's contention that Explorers stand out from other SUVs with respect to its handling characteristics following a tread separation,"

link

and a slightly different version of the story:

NHTSA denies request for investigation into Explorer

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Go with the V8.
    The V6 block that's used was designed as an OHV engine and adapted to be an OHC one. That means more complexity and compromises from an optimal design. The problems seem to be in the past, but I wouldn't take a chance.
    The V8 has been around for approx 10 years and is proven. It has an all-new block in the Explorer application (it's aluminum versus iron) but I've not heard of any problems so far.
    The V8 will also do the job better and more quietly, with only a small sacrifice in mileage.
    I'm a little confused (some say more than a little) and would like some opinions regarding the use of overdrive on the 2002 Explorer. I read a number of posts stating that the use of OD in low speed conditions can increase the risk of premature transmission failure (lugging, I think, was the culprit). The explanation made sense so I’ve been diligent about disabling OD except in open highway and expressway driving. Then Monday, I read a post on Perpetual Ford Explorer Woes (post 1197) where the author was suggesting that the cause of another person’s 3rd gear being ripped up on their 2000 Explorer was perhaps due to turning off the OD. Aaack! Can anyone clear this up for me? I would be grateful.
    I wanted to provide a quick update on my experience to date with my 2002 XLT, 4X4, V-6, with the 3.73 rear end. Based on what I’ve read, I may be a little higher mileage driver than some so this could be of use to someone. This is my first Ford product of any kind and I have to admit that I’m still impressed. I have about 7,000 miles on it now (took delivery 10/31) and have little to complain about. I have had a minor problem with engine stalling or hard starting under certain conditions, but it has never failed to start. And I do have an odd and occasional rattle that seems to be coming from the front end or under the hood, but nothing to write home about. It accelerates and handles very well, and it seems very stable. It went through what little snow and ice we’ve had here in Detroit extremely well and is fun to drive. Right now, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this vehicle to anyone. I’ll write if anything happens to change that, of course.
    I'd leave the shift selector in "D" as Ford suggests. The only time they recommend disabling it is under towing conditions, which will help keep the transmission cooler by eliminating the frequent shifts necessary under those conditions.
    Excessive heat is what you're trying to avoid here. So, unless you find that it's bouncing back and forth between fourth and OD, leave it in "D" and take advantage of the fuel economy that the OD gives you.
    I'm driving a 2002 V8 XLT with tow package, and for normal driving (not towing, etc.) I leave it in O.D., but when driving (for example) on one-lane roads in hilly or mountainous areas, toggling or "playing" the O.D. on/off switch (depending on the terrain and grades) often makes sense, because this not only eliminates excessive and unwanted shifting in/out of O.D., but it also provides for some degree of engine braking on descents, when needed (such as when encountering a stop sign at the bottom of a steep grade). Indeed, I don't hesitate to push the O.D. button to "off" when I need some engine braking, and in my opinion we shouldn't forget that this is another reason why the conveniently located O.D. button/switch is so useful. In short, the O.D. on/off button is a very useful feature for those who enjoy a more dynamic driving experience under certain road and/or load conditions, and who want to keep the engine RPMs more in the "sweet-spot" of its power envelope.
  • wilsonze1wilsonze1 Member Posts: 8
    I purchased my first 2002 Mountaineer and the rear window broke twice hitting me in the head. The transmission shifts so sporadic, rear end/drive assembly vibrate at 60 to 70 & the air noise problems were some reasons I made Ford take back the vehicle. We liked the size and the look so we now have the same model but with the V8.

The quality is junk, junk and quality and responsiveness forget it.

The transmission has been taken apart at least three times and now they were going to replace it but there is not one in the US? The new suspension has been worked four times for repeated noise and incorrect assembly. The moon roof was also not installed correctly, some of the leather was looking like my 84 SVO seats. If you go to the following site you will find that the transmission has problems and Ford is not saying a word. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/Index.cfm

I want all of my money back and I do not want another Ford and lies about service, quality and the customer come first. Oh the new all wheel drive Jag has the same transmission so Ford truck has the same transmission in six cylinder, V8 and Jag cars use the same transmission and all are having problems.

The head mechanic as was frustrated because Ford headquarters does not listen when issues are sent to them. Hum! Enron Do not waste your money on this product.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    Strange, I went to the listed site, and only found the liftgate cylinder and tire sidewall items. I have 9k on my 02 EB, and have been very pleased with the vehicle and Ford's concern for my satisfaction.
  • wilsonze1wilsonze1 Member Posts: 8
    I am sorry for the misunderstanding on what you would find on the site. The site while good does not seem to group all like complaints however there have been many complaints not a recall on the new transmission designed in Europe. The recall was on the rear window as you noted. My new 2nd work of art is now been the shop four times and today is 2 ½ weeks because there is not a replacement transmission available or corrective parts. The squeaks that have plagued this car have not been corrected for more than 500 miles after each visit. The other issues with replacing the leather, adjusting the moon roof, have been reworked but this was a new car and it is the second one like this. The transmission has a shifting problem, which the Ford standard response is that it will correct itself, as it is a programming problem. I have had two now and both have had the same conditions. The VP of the distributorship has one and I was told it also shifts less than smooth. The shop foreman has taken rides in my second (replacement) vehicle and is the one explaining that this is the transmission in the new four wheel jaguar they have seen back in for complaints.
    I am working with the east coast rep. And the distributorship and will let you know how they treat me.
    Currently they have said they would call me back several times since last Friday and I have received 0 calls back. Customer Service is not like I get from Cadillac.
  • mazman1mazman1 Member Posts: 229
    Sounds to me like the problem is with the dealer.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Check this out!

Spin Around Town: 2002 Mercury Mountaineer

Mercury's Mountaineer proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that badge engineering is alive and well in today's auto industry. Want a Ford Explorer but prefer a more elegant look and fake satin aluminum cabin trim? This is your ride.

tidester

Host

SUVs

• rollierrollier Member Posts: 8
    I had the "oil switch" replaced on my 02' 6cyl rear wheel drive(@10,000 mi.) as it was triggering a "low oil pressure warning" on my message center and on the oil gauge itself during cold morning starts until the vehicle warmed up a bit. Anybody know what the difference between an oil sensor and an oil switch and /or an oil pressure sender may be? Rollier