Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• nbrooks1nbrooks1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Mountaineer AWD and pull a small Airstream TT. When towing, I suggest 40lbs in the rear and 35lbs up front. When not towing, what Mercury shows on the door sticker should be followed. By the way, I love my Mercury...almost as much as my Excursion.
  • kheintzelmankheintzelman Member Posts: 26
    Under warranty, a few months ago I (supposedly) had the front swaybar bushings of my 2002 Explorer XLT replaced due to the well-documented creaking sound when the vehicle negotiates bumps, etc., and the noise then disappeared until recently, but it has now returned. So, I plan to take the vehicle back to a different Ford dealer's service center to further address this problem, but my concern is that Ford needs to come up with a DEFINITIVE and LASTING solution to this problem, rather than my having to have the swaybar bushings replaced every few months! [Of course, it's also possible that the original dealer's service center (which I eventually "fired" for certain reasons) may not have actually replaced these bushings as they claimed, but may have merely lubricated them. Indeed, when I first brought the vehicle to the original dealer to have this problem corrected, they initially told me they would have to order parts, but they soon came back and said that the parts happened to be in stock after all (!!), and a short time later, they handed me the keys and claimed they had replaced the parts in question.
    Hmmm...I wonder if that was actually the truth?]
  • gregb5gregb5 Member Posts: 82
    I posted on this subject some time ago. I had the problem and the dealer lubed the bushings. It worked... for awhile. I spoke to the service dept and gave them the info (Service message #15684 and part #1L2Z5484BA) that had been posted by KHEINTZELMAN. He checked that and said that is the original part number. He looked into it and discovered that "engineering is working on a permanent solution" to the problem.

So, anything they are doing right now is just temporary, to quiet the customer. Follow up with the dealer periodicaly to see if there is a fix.
  • hungry2hungry2 Member Posts: 11
    I just got home from picking up my 02 mountaineer which was in for oil, rotate, creaky noise and broken door remote. The remote needs to be replaced (9 months old!) The sway bar information says:cause:9016 and also says"5493AT INSULATORS OR BUSHINGS-STABILIZER BAR- REPLACE (5493)-L" whatever that means. The next page says"2 1L2Z*5484*BA INSULATOR-FRONT SWAY BAR FC:N59 42
    PART#: 1L2Z*5484*BA"

It also says test and diag noise RXR sway bar bushings. She told me they replaced the bushings. Did they? The noise is gone, but from this board it sounds like it will be back. It is annoying but can it be harmful to the vehicle? Just looking for any info because I really don't know what this part does, also what would this repair cost if it was out of warranty???
    The sway bar is there to reduce body roll when cornering by sharing the load across the entire vehicle. It attaches at 4 points. The parts that are a problem are the inboard mounts. They aren't expensive or difficult to replace, and the noise will not cause any drivability issues, other than the noise itself. The above post confirms what my service writer told me: no permanent fix is yet available. The part number posted above is the number of the original part that is the cause of the noise.
  • cameleyecameleye Member Posts: 3
    Ref. "I just bought a new 2002 Mountaineer V-6. I have noticed that when I come to a stop with the vehicle in drive, I can feel the engine pulsating through the brake pedal and vibrating my left leg that rests against the door. I had previously tested a demo for a weekend and didn't notice this shaking."
    Update;
    The unit has been in the shop for a week. I don't think they can pinpoint the problem. The latest guess was to replace the plug wires. I hope thats it
    because if not, they're just shooting in the dark.
    Should I (demand) ask for a new vehicle?
  • joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    Anyone using Mobil One oil?

Thinking of going synthetic but not sure because the recommended oil for the V8 is 5w-20w.

Would like to stretch the oil changes with Mobile one any thoughts?
  • mcom1mcom1 Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to check to see if anyone else has experienced the following noises in their 2002 V8 4x4 Explorers:
    1. When cold, there is a buzzing noise that seems to be coming from the back of the engine compartment. It disappears when you let off the gas and often returns occasionally until the vehicle is warmed up. This may be associated with the previous post about a transmission valve TSB.

2. From 50 -70 miles per hour (1500-2200 RPM), my Explorer makes a noise that sounds like either noisy valves or possibly a slight exhaust leak. HOWEVER, the noise cannot be replicated by attaining the same RPM in neutral or in DRIVE holding the car with the brakes. So, it does not appear that a noise created by the engine but something else in the driveline....Any ideas?

So far, the Ford Dealer has come up empty!
    I have #1. Haven't tried to fix it; it doesn't seem to be causing any performance problems. By the way, I had the valve body replacement done due to shifting problems. Now I have a new transmission but that noise persists. It's fine now from a performance standpoint.
    Mobil 1 does not make a 5W-20 grade, and won't in the near future. I use AMSOIL XL-7500 and change at 7500 mile intervals. You can buy it direct from their website. So far, so good!
  • mountainownermountainowner Member Posts: 28
    I agree with Gregb5, I also use AMSOIL XL-7500 5W-20 oil. Ordering off their site is very easy, you can also order the filters, part # SDF11. I've used AMSOIL in all my cars for many years. There is a seperate site on Edmunds Town Hall dedicated to the synthetic vs conventional debate which has some good information. Personally I believe the synthetic gives better protection.
  • kheintzelmankheintzelman Member Posts: 26
    Initially, Ford dealer "A" (who sold me my 2002 XLT) replaced the swaybar bushings, but I've since fired dealer "A"'s service shop, and I've begun using dealer "B" for service. Dealer "B" has a fine shop, and today they re-inspected my swaybar bushings and said that dealer "A" had indeed replaced them, but they apparently installed them "dry" without the required lubrication, and this is what soon led to the noise returning. So, dealer "B" lubed the bushings, and all is well once again. Should the noise return, they'll replace the bushings themselves, under warranty.

I'd also like to mention that because I bought my 2002 XLT with leather seats in 11/01, a leather wheel was not then available. But, I really, really wanted a leather wheel, and you may know that one has recently become available for newer 2002 XLTs. So, I ordered one from Ford ($225.00) and it was installed today ($68.00 labor). It is black leather, and it looks and feels wonderful! (The cruise control buttons are identical to the old wheel, and as far as the airbag is concerned, they simply pop out the airbag module from the old wheel and re-install it into the new leather wheel. This upgrade is expensive, but the results are worth it in my opinion--my wheel now looks and feels very classy and elegant, especially after applying some Zaino Leather Treatment/Conditioner).
  • tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    Looking for opinions on when to change oil the first time on 2002 Explorer V8. Have always changed at around 2,000 miles on other new vehicles, but Ford dealer says no need to change until 3,000 or 5,000 depending on how driven.

If I go by the oil life monitor, could wait till about 5,000 mi.
    I changed oil at 2,000 miles, and then I change every 5,000 after that. I also use synthetic, as I believe it offers superior protection. In regards to the oil life monitor, it beeps at 5,000 miles, it is only a reminder. It's simple to reset.
  • de26de26 Member Posts: 1
    I've taken my Mountaineer to the dealership for two problems: the first is a rattling noise I hear when I'm driving on uneven pavement or driving up hills. It starts low, at first, and slowly increases. It is persistent and annoying.

The second is the knock inside my steering wheel. I feel it more when the weather is damp and the roads are slippery. When the service guy took my car for a test drive, he claims he didn't hear anything. So, I haven't had any luck.

Although, I might add that I'm still under 35,000 miles and covered under warranty. Perhaps when I get over 35,000 miles they'll find the problem.
  • clr3clr3 Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at a 2002 EB v-8. Is advance trac a good option to have or is it unnecessary?
  • cramirezcramirez Member Posts: 4
    I know that I have asked this question before and that host has moved it to another area but I really need help. I have a 2002 Explorer V6 xls. sometimes when trying to start it will just crank and crank but will not start. When it finally does start I get black smoke or white smoke out of the tail pipe. The dealer have already change the fuel pump and checked for codes in the computer but no codes were present. It has been in the shop 2 times know and I'm ready to take it in again. But I wanted to see if anyone else has had the same problem or if you have any advice for me. thanks.
  • jerry2281jerry2281 Member Posts: 97
    I have AdvanceTrac on my 2001 Lincoln LS. In fact, one of the primary reasons I bought the LS was because, after 3 Pontiac Bonnevilles (SLE's), stability control was only available on the SSEI with a supercharger (unneeded for daily commuting). I would not buy another vehicle without it. I am looking for a Lincoln Aviator or Explorer Limited SUV as a replacement for my '99 Explorer with limited-slip and it will have AdvanceTrac.

It provides extra confidence when turning a less than 90 degree corner, with the road slick with rain or snow and in less than ideal driving conditions. Especially in a rear-wheel drive vehicle. It operates seamlessly and kicks in before you realize you are in trouble. Once you have it, you will never buy another vehicle without it.
  • gregb882gregb882 Member Posts: 75
    I also have had some minor starting problems with my 2002 XLT 6 cyl, but not severe enough to get me to go through the bother of leaving it at the dealership for a couple of days. However, I have just over 13,000 miles and a couple of the usual rattles and squeaks have developed so I may be taking it in fairly soon. I'll let you know if anything develops from the service visit.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Doesn't sound as though the new Explorers are built any tighter than the previous models. My '00 Explorer (22.5K miles) is pretty quiet, except for a horrendous rattle inside the dash somewhere. That, and the driver's door panel ticks incessantly in the mornings sometimes (that is more the dealer's fault than Ford, though).

I have read various media reviews complaining of rattles and squeaks in the '02 Explorers as well. Please let us know how successful the dealer is in getting rid of them.
    I will, but I've got to get off my dead rear to do it. Car companies love me because I usually wait until something pretty major before I take it in. (It's a hassle to arrange another car for the day(s), etc.) Often by that time they won't do anything with the small irritating stuff that warranty won't cover. But I have some time before that's an issue.
    Have seen two posts on this. Maybe this will help.

When turning left and hitting uneven road surface, could sometimes hear a rattle in front end. Dealer kept vehicle for 2 1/2 days and checked several possibilities. Finally diagnosed it as coming from steering. Replaced steering gear and noise seems to be gone but haven't driven much since. Front wheel toe had to be reset and steering wheel is a little off center. Will get that fixed on next trip.

Only other complaint they said was "normal" is the high idle speed for several seconds after starting cold or hot. Must wait to shift into gear. Anyone else noticed that and had it checked? Not a problem on my 94 or 98 Explorer.
  • stewtostewto Member Posts: 11
    I have a Mtneer with 11,000 miles; 6 cyl, AWD. I have the same problem with knocking/rattling in the steering. Handling seems fine, but very very annoying - like the suspension is coming apart. Dealer claims they do not notice anything, although they just replaced the steering column - car out of service for 3 days (again). No change to the problem. I notice it mostly on slight downgrades and slight left turns bet. 18 and 25 MPH.

Also, to others with posts about rattles - I have them in the instrument cluster, sometimes a huge clunking from behind the radio somewhere, and in the front right door window assembly, as well. Appears to be dependant on temperature. Dealer never duplicates problem.

(Have already been through rear hubs being shipped from factory with no lubricant, the transmission shifting problem - which when fixed is nothing more than reprogram the transmission and engine to drastrically retard when shifting, smoothing out the problem but causing very poor acceleration.)

We love the vehical (had 2 Explorers before this), but am about to give up, and sell it for whatever anyone offers, and drop Ford from my line up forever.
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    clr3 and jerry... nice to see questions about stability control, most surveys say American consumers don't care about safety. I have it on a Corvette, and it has saved me once as well, in rain going to hydroplane with wider than I'm used to tires. It was, on/off before I even knew I had an issue and I was just all of a sudden going slightly slower in the turn. On all the reviews I have read, only the Sequoia implementation has ever had any less than positive comments.

Looking forward to getting it on all future vehicles. In the EU they are about 10+% introduced on models, but here we are probably still below 5% by vehicles sold. There they are putting it on lots of small cars to enhance safety while here they went luxury and then due to, IMO, media it will next be on SUVs.
  • jscatenajscatena Member Posts: 61
    I seem to hear air coming in around my back doors. Any others experience this?

jscatena@floracraft.com
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    My wife has a '96 XLT and really loves it. I like it also except for that dog of an engine (the old V6). Thinking about upgrading to a 2002 which seems to have gotten very good reviews by the press.

Two questions: 1) are you owners of 2002 models who owned earlier versions, happy with the new model? 2) Has Ford fixed the SOHC V6? I've read about lots of problems with it in the first couple years of production.
  • cwhitfordcwhitford Member Posts: 2
    I had a 1998 Explorer XLT with the SOHC with 71K. I bought the truck as a lease return about two years ago. I did not have too many problems with it, but the maintenance was starting to get expensive so I traded it for a 2002 XLT with the SOHC. I am pretty picky with maintenance schedules. The 98 was a good truck, although the 2002 is MUCH better. However, it is not without its flaws. The 02 drives and rides much better, it feels more stable than the 98 at highways speeds and in windy weather. The engine and road noise is significantly reduced, but there is still some wind noise from the windshield area. The moon roof in the 98 would operate after the engine was shut off along with the windows. In the 02, the windows still operate, but the moon roof does not which is a complaint of mine. Also, the moon roof switch does not light up at night, but the 98 didn't either. In the 02, the stereo does stay on after the ignition is shut off until one opens a door. Nice feature that the 98 didn't have. Interior door handles are still awkward to get to in my opinion. Floor mats in the 98 covered much more floor area than the 2002. Will probably get the Husky Liners for the 02 anyway. The rear audio controls and fan speed were on the 98, and the 02 does not have this feature. Not a complaint of mine, as the fan never worked properly in the 98, so I didn't use it much. The power driver seat switch is awkward to find, although you do get sort of used to its position.
    If you do buy a 02, make sure you get the newer one that comes standard with fog lamps, leather steering wheel, dimming rear mirror, and adjustable headrests on the front seats. My 02 is not a newer one, and these things, except for the headrests were on the 98. I added factory fog lamps ($200) and will add the leather steering wheel (heard it is $250). The dimming mirror isn't a factor as the rear glass is tinted and have not noticed it being too annoying. The 02 interior is okay, I think it is a little more plastic like than the 98, but that is personal opinion. All in all it is a dramatic improvement.

I did not have any problems with the SOHC engine except for the cam tensioners which were fixed with the recall. Hope this helps!
    I also have noticed unusual air noises like door leakage. It seems to be the right front passenger door or right rear door. The dealer says nothing unsusual found, but I had a '98 Explorer without this noise. At times it sounds like an exhaust leak.
  • stelmorstelmor Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 mountaineer AWD with 4000mi. After driving the vehicle for say 5-10 minutes, if I make a hard turn left or right with the vehicle moving I hear quite a pronounced clunk from under the vehicle. This only happens once and if I try to make another hard turn there is no cluck sound. Only after I drive for several minutes again without sharp turns can I get the noise again. It almost sounds like the clunk made when a 4 wheel drive vehicle is engaged into 4 wheel drive. has anyone else experienced this?
  • jv312jv312 Member Posts: 32
    Didn't have an older explorer, but I purchased a 2002 XLT v6 and absolutely love it. Mine is the newer production model like the one explained in an earlier post(built after 1/28/02). I agree w/ cwhitford on the seat controls & plastic trim. Beside that, everything is functional and straight forward. I love the roominess. This weekend I piled 8 buddies in it to drive to a restaurant w/o a problem, granted I wouldn't do this on a cross country trip! My past purchases have been Toyota. Still own a 95 pickup for my dirty work, but I'm impressed so far with this vehicle.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A journalist is looking for someone who bought one "twin" over another where the manufacturer offers two or more vehicles based on the same basic platform. (a Maxima vs. an I35 (or I30) or the TL vs. Accord)
    Did you know it was basically the same vehicle as the other?
    Why did you choose it over the other?
    Please submit your response to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, May 15.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sm_cornchipsm_cornchip Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 02 Explorer XLT with a axle ratio of 3.55 and the standard V6 engine. What is the maximum towing capacity for this vehicle? I want to install a class III hitch with a 7 pin pig-tail to be able to pull a camper (est. 4000 lbs). I keep getting different answers. Any ideas?
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    According to the Explorer brochure:

4WD Auto = 3500 lbs
    2WD Auto = 3500 lbs
    4WD Manual = 2500 lbs
    2WD Manual = 2700 lbs

FWIW, the 3.73 axle would give you a higher tow rating.
    That same Explorer brochure lists 5500 for the 3.73 and class III hitch, just 3500 for class II hitch that the vehicle came equipped with. I would guess the "right" number is in between, so you should be OK with your intended setup to pull 4000. You'd be better off with the 3.73 and/or the V8 to pull that kind of load, though.
  • jv312jv312 Member Posts: 32
    my 02 xlt 4WD V6 has the tow pkg (i.e. classIII/IV hitch, 3.73. axle, aux. trans cooler) rated for 5340lbs. This is from my owners manual. It bumps the 2WD version up to 5500lbs w/ factory tow pkg. In my situation, I tow a 2-up covered snowmobile trailer (approx. 2500lbs)& nothing in the summer. If I thought I was going to pull to the max or tow year-around, I would have gone up to the V8 w/ the upgraded tow. But, for me, this setup works fine. If you decide to modify, I'd be careful about someone who says they can retrofit your bumper to fit the larger hitch. My dealer said the process is pretty messy and wouldn't recommend it. Just my .02
  • richmodrichmod Member Posts: 4
    My brand new Mountaineer has a pretty rough idle - the vibration can be felt in the drivers seat. I've had it to the dealer once and the said all is fine and it has the latest code. They let me compare to another new one , which had similar rough idle, but not as noticeable. Anyone else with the problem? Otherwise, it runs fine.
  • jmcgann2002jmcgann2002 Member Posts: 1
    I wouldn't worry about the high engine idle. I have a 93 F150 with the I6, my brother has a 94 ranger with an I4 and my friend has a Mazda B4000 V6(Ranger 4 liter) and they all idle high for 15-20 seconds after starting. Just don't put the trans in gear until it lowers or you could damage it. I expect my new explorer to arrive next week and I'll let you know if it idles high or not.
    It's actually not a high idle as much as it is an uneven idle. Even when idling low (below 1000rpm) after the engine is warm, it's uneven and rough.
    One more thing: the engine idles much smoother with the auto climate control on. Not just lower rpm, but actually not as rough as when it's not on. Any ideas as to why?
  • lyrehc91lyrehc91 Member Posts: 1
    I am debating on buying the Explorer, but want to know what you have heard about it in comparison with the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Which is better?
    I have experienced the clunk on left turn while hitting uneven surface. Dealer replaced steering gear and did not notice for a while but the noise is back. Would appreciate hearing if anyone has been able to identify the source and solution as I plan to return to the dealer soon. Have 3,000 mi on vehicle. Also, can hear rattle from underneath at low speeds, 15-20 mph on rough street.
  • expy01expy01 Member Posts: 10
    Does anybody have information as to when the 2003 will be available to order, at what if any changes there will be. I am looking at getting an explorer in about 2 months and i know the 2002 should be in this supply.
  • sergey3sergey3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,
    I’m currently about to finish lease of Isuzu Rodeo LS (36 month, 320$ a month) It was good, but probably not good enough to go again with Isuzu. Also I would like to try something different.
    I think I like Explorer and according to EDMUNDS it’s holding first place among mid class SUV now.
    Is anyone leasing Explorer? It is interesting to know 36 month x $$$.
    Probably we are looking into 400$ + a month?

If so, can you convince me that I still should go toward it.

I think I can get PATHFINDER for about 350$ a month,
    4 runner for about 386$,

400$ + ---this is already numbers for RX 300 or MDX.
    Any input greatly appreciated.
  • jposterjposter Member Posts: 21
    Question to all you '02 Explorer owners:

I'm considering an '02 Explorer XLT 4x4, with the 3rd row seat. Few of the models I've seen locally have the aux.climate system for the rear passengers as an option. Do any of you have the 3rd row seat regret not getting the aux.climate system. I'm trying to decide if this is an option I need to hold out for.

Also, I'm interested in real world mileage people are getting with the v8, 4x4, with the tow package (all the v8's around here have the tow package on them).

Finally, what is everyone's opinion on the need for the v6 vs. the v8. All the reviews seem to indicate the v6 is rough and lacks sufficient power on the highway, etc.

Thanks to all you 02 Explorer owners for your help in my purchase decision.

Thanks.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    does any body now the money factor for the 02 mountaineer. looking to lease 3year. thanks

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

I have the XLT V8 with tow package. The first 10,000 miles I got 15.66 MPG overall.

I don't have the third row air, but we don't use that seat much. If the seat will be used in summer, you should probably get it.

As for the V6 vs. V8 issue, I think it's $800 well spent for the V8. The mileage penalty is not a big deal, and the V8 has a good history versus the shaky past of this 6 cylinder. If you're not aware, the 6 cylinder started life as a pushrod engine and was converted to OHC without major block work. The result is that the design is not optimal for the application. It's had a history of breakdowns related to cam chain tensioners. Ford is still paying to fix many of the older ones.
    Getting the V8 was a no-brainer for me and I don't regret it.
    I agree with gregb5 in regard to the V8 vs V6, he is right on the mark about the V6. I have the V8 in a Mountaineer and agree that the mileage penalty is small compared to the V6 numbers I've seen on this board. I get low 16mpg's with the V8 and the 'all wheel drive' system, plus in my opinion the V8 is smooth and quiet.

When I ordered my Mountaineer you could not get the rear climate system with the sun roof option. The interior is large and in the summer with 6 or 7 people aboard it would take extra cooling to make everyone happy. If it was available I would have taken it, but since I had to choose between the rear a/c and sunroof, the sunroof won.
    I thought I heard that the 2002 V6 engine has been redesigned to eliminate the past issues. Does anyone know the answer to this? Thanks
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I am looking for a sport ute and have read the last 200 or so msg's here. When pricing a fully loaded Moutaineer vs a LTD or EB explorer the Moutaineer is about 3k cheaper using carsdirect.com prices. Any reason one would go with the more expensive moutaineer. the zip I used is 60611 and this is for fully loaded AWD or 4WD
  • timnguyen9timnguyen9 Member Posts: 6
    We have the Explorer Limited 4X4 with V8, and tow package with the 3.73 Limited Slip gears. I had the same V8/V6 dilemma when ordering last year and decided to get the V8. Definitely no regrets at all!! Like previous posters, the price for the V8 option and mileage comparsion is not a big difference, plus the V8 is smooth and is aluminum construction which makes it actually lighter in weight to the V6. To each his own, but pay the extra $800 and get the V8. You won't look back on this decision. Plus you can load up the X and have no issues with a V8, but the V6 will be straining. Let us know what you decide.