Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• jv312jv312 Member Posts: 32
    I added the complete set of Nifty's Catch-All mats to my explorer. Perfect match to factory interior. A bit lightweight in comparison to the factory mats, but they sure cover more ground which is a plus! The 7-4 pin adapter came with my explorer in the tow package accessory bag left in the rear cargo hold. As far as the black plastic piece on the mirror, for some reason I got an extra in the glovebox. Don't know what the deal with that was either!
  • g_huskyg_husky Member Posts: 32
    It simply amazes me that Ford overlooked a very fundamental flaw in hitch packaging on Explorer. I trudged to dealer today, out of 37 Explorers in stock only 2 had Class III hitch I need. And then those two had V6 engines and not containing desired options. The rest have the standard Class II hitch, with no way to remove/replace it since it is welded as part of frame. If Ford had gone with making the Class III/IV standard on V8 it would minimize the pain. If they offered the Class III/IV as the standard hitch across the board I would have had a lot of 37 trucks to consider. I see today Ford's sales are off 14%, I could not help but think their product people making these type decisions are to blame.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Where do you live? Most of the Explorers here in Minneapolis that I have seen have the tow package, which I believe gives you the class III hitch.
    is a sweet upgrade (if you tow that is) and I hear your pain about finding exactly what you want because I went through it just a couple of months ago. I wanted nothing else but tow and no third seat. Maybe Ford didn't go full bore on putting it on all V8 models due to the axle change from 3.55 to 3.73? Just a guess...
  • cubescubes Member Posts: 29
    I got a pretty good look under our Mountaineer this morning while I was having some service done and it appears to me that the tow hitch is part of a connecting member that ties both frame ends together. It looked like it was attached with four large bolts. So I guess it could be theoretically changed out. I'm not sure if the wiring harness at that point is only four wires and of course there's not much easily done with the rear gear. I would imagine that the wiring to the back is all seven wire so they wouldn't need two different harnesses (cost).
    As far as blaming the "product" people, I'm not so sure. I think that the dealership is responsible for the most part in ordering in vehicles. When we bought our Merc, most had moon roofs, and since we saw ourselves utilizing the third row often we wanted the aux air. We we told that the dealer management opted for ordering many more vehicles with the roof instead of the air because they felt they would have stronger interest. We got what we actually wanted (lucky) but the overall selection was slanted heavily toward roofs.
    And as far as trudging to the dealerships to check out their inventories, you could do that online either by building to order and requesting a match or just searching all in stock units by dealership. That's what we did and ironically the dealer most local to us had the most extensive inventory.
    Happy Shopping
  • jmcmeansjmcmeans Member Posts: 3
    I have been looking at the 02 Explorer and am interested in some of the new safety features I have seen advertised. I have not found even one with the safety canopy airbags or any other side airbags. Does anyone out there have any idea why they are not being placed on the Explorer?
  • jerry2281jerry2281 Member Posts: 97
    Have just returned from cruising Ford dealer's and searching the web for my particular needs.

Side curtain airbags replaced the side airbags with the 2002.5 Explorers built since April 1. I saw several on the lot today and some in web inventory. Mostly on Limited models but some on XLT's. They are not plentiful yet. Try the Ford website for local dealer and peruse his inventory and maybe you will find what you are looking for. The easiest way to separate 2002 from 2002.5 when cruising dealer lots is look for fog lights on XLT and two piece front seats with separate headrests, not tombstone seats as on 2002.
  • g_huskyg_husky Member Posts: 32
    I'm in Upstate NY. Dealer stock on XLT has been all sorts of equipped V6s, but the V8s are mainly fully loaded models ($34K+, which for me is time to go to Yukon SLE). There are many V6's laying on lots, a few have tow pkg with the Class III/IV hitch. Much fewer V8s and most all of them are equipped with the basic Class II hitches despite being burdened with other heavy options. My gripe here is that with the tow package on the V8 you don't appear to get anything more than the Class III hitch (the 3.73 comes with the V8, and no engine or trans cooler looks to come with it). The cost difference between II and III hitch is practically zilch, so why doesn't Ford make the III standard with V8 to eliminate the issue they created by making the hitch standard? I'm not sure if you can simply unbolt the II and replace with a III, it looks pretty permanent to me and I don't see replacement III hitches being offered by likes of Hidden Hitch and others. If there was no standard hitch and they let me bolt on my own I would be happy. Yes I'm checking online inventories and its only confirming what I see on lots.
  • ksersozeksersoze Member Posts: 1
    If anyone is looking for a brand new Explorer, I just got mine at a Southern California dealer for $19K. It's a base XLS model with not too many options, but it does include AC, Power D/L, Power mirrors, and with V6 4.0 OHC engine. It does not include running boards or a CD players, but it has pretty much everything I need in a SUV. By the way, this price is $5K below invoice and is about $7K-$8K lower than a comparable Toyota Highlander and is still cheaper than a 4-cylinder Honda CRV.
  • geoffd1geoffd1 Member Posts: 21
    mrankell writes on Jun 30, 2002 (08:07 pm):
    > AWD is fantastic in rain or snow. In fact, the AWD Mountaineer handles better
    > than the 4WD explorer because 35% traction is always going to the front wheels.

I think this is a little over-stated. An Explorer and "fantastic handling" should never be used in the same sentence. My Mountaineer V8 AWD weighs something approaching 5,000 pounds. The stock A/T tires are too hard to work well on ice. 2 1/2 tons of sheet metal wants very much to go in a straight line. In the snow, you absolutely must drive with extreme caution going down hills and in corners. It's essential that you use the Overdrive defeat switch and that 3-2-1 thingie on the steering column to control speed. If you ever touch the brakes, it's very difficult to maintain control and you risk becoming the next SUV upside-down in the median strip.

Sometimes that weight works to your advantage... The car is very docile in 6" of wet slop in the left lane of a straight highway. It's fairly predictable charging through puddles at highway speeds. Traction at a standing start is never an issue.

The advantage of AWD is the simple fact that it's always engaged. I drive to a ski resort every weekend in the winter. When I had conventional 4WD systems, I tended to leave them disabled even when the roads were snow-covered since 4WD mode chewed up gas mileage and held me at 50 mph. If I needed 4WD in a hurry, it was always a problem to get the speed down low enough that I could engage the system. I'm willing to deal with the wear and tear issues of AWD to have it there when I need it.

Until ground clearance becomes an issue, my VW GTI with Nokian Hakka Q high tech snow tires is far better in the snow than my Mountaineer. Half the weight, lower center of gravity, _MUCH_ better tires, lots of weight over the drive wheels. Too bad it can't tow my 5,000 pounds of boat or haul around all my ski gear.
  • jposterjposter Member Posts: 21
    Hello,

I'm a new owner of a 2002.5 XLT v8 4x4 Explorer. I've just recently noticed a wind noise at highway speeds (over 55mph), it appears to be coming from the passenger side (can't tell if its near the front window or in the 2nd row). The noise actually sounds just like a window is cracked or something (a rushing of air sound). I've confirmed all windows tightly closed and have inspected the trim molding around each window--nothing looks obviously wrong with it.

Anyone else experienced this problem? Any solutions or diagnosis?

Thanks.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    I have also noticed increased noise from the passenger side on my 2002 EB that is now a year old. I haven't had it back to the dealer, but when I finally do, I am going to ask them to align the right rear door. When looking from the outside, it appears to be slightly out of alignment. This would be consistent with the apparent source of the noise. When it was new, it was extremely quiet.
  • hennahenna Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased 2002 Explorer Sport and wanted to know if there are any problems I should be aware of. I love it so far.
  • cameleyecameleye Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Mountaineer that has the same road noise from the right
    rear door, fender well area. I had the dealer check the door seals and
    everything he could think of. No solution was found, but the tech. told me that the way the fender well was designed keeps you from adding sound insulation. The only thing he thought of was adding a lot of undercoating in that wheel well.
    If you have the V-6, you might have noticed the vibration of the engine at stop signs or red lights. Mine is excessive and the Ford regional rep. has even checked it out. It's been 3 month's and no solution has been found. I'm not the only one, but the service manager said mine is the worst he's seen. If your thinking of a Explorer or Mountaineer, don't take a chance on the V-6. Get the V-8 or choose another manufacturer. That's my 2 cents.
    My XLT is a v8, so the engine is smooth. The strange thing about this passenger side wind noise is that it just appeared after about 500 miles (2 weeks) of driving. When I bought the truck it had like 40 miles on it and was totally quiet.

I've not noticed whether the right rear door appears out of alignment or anything. There is a definate air leak somewhere. Logically, it would seem that a fix would exist with replacing the trim molding around the door / window?

I've also noticed a hum / wistle sound that appears to be coming from the passenger side front. This is very infrequent and seems to depend on the wind outside, speed and direction of travel. One person suspected it was the mast antenna.

I had a very similar problem on my 2001 Accord and there was a TSB for it, the dealer replaced the rubber molding around the front windshield and the problem is gone. Makes me wonder if something similar couldn't be done with the Explorer?

I've got an appointment with the dealer on Monday for the wind noise. Although I'm skeptical they will be able to "fix anything."

Otherwise, I love my truck. The v8 is awsome and smooth. After two tanks of gas, I'm averaging 14.50mpg with a mix of city / highway driving with the AC on all the time and I'm not light footed when accelerating.

THanks for any comments.

jposter
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    My parents '00 Mountaineer with the 4.0L SOHC V6 suffered from an excessive engine vibration/shudder/rough idle for over a year. The dealer installed a new MAF sensor, IACV, and a new fuel pump (all on separate visits) to try to solve the problem. None of those fixes worked.

Last weekend I was waiting for my Dad in his truck while he ran into a store for an errand, and the truck had a seizure of sorts. Engine RPM's went from idle to almost 4,000RPM, then dropped down to 500 or so. The Check Engine light then popped on.

The dealer took the truck on Monday and read the code from the computer. Turned out to be a code they had never seen before, so they contacted Ford Engineering who indicated it was the second bank of oxygen sensors that needed to be rebuilt. The dealer performed the work and returned the truck the following day. The engine idles as smooth as can be and there is no more vibration or shudder to be felt.

Seems like dealers need to have a code to read these days to be able to fix vehicles. The funny thing is, both my '00 Explorer and my parent's Mountaineer have had unusual problems that required the dealer to contact Ford Engineering because they didn't know how to fix it (the only difference being that Ford actually sent someone out to analyze my Explorer; my parent's problem was fixed over the phone). Either we got two oddballs, or it is more commonplace then we ever knew.
    Either we got two oddballs, or it is more commonplace then we ever knew.

I think the more likely problem is that many dealers don't have the proper level of training for their technicians. The dealers gross about $100/hour from their employees but neither train nor compensate those employees properly.
  • kenttrudiwkenttrudiw Member Posts: 11
    Our V-8 explore, when hot outside 90 and up has a whine under the hood somewhere. The whine is the same as in first gear, only it lasts sometimes into 3rd gear. The dealer said it was the trans cooler kicking in longer to cool the trans. But the sound is very noticable in an otherwise very quite truck. Is this normal?
    Kent
    I've noticed the same on my 02.5 XLT v8, I think its the transmission or drive train somewhere. I haven't noticed it in just hot weather though. It may have something to do with the 4x4 system or something?
    Just wanted to share for any of you looking for a floor mat for an 2002 Explorer, and not wanting to spend a bunch of money, Ford actually makes such an item. My local dealers were clueless about this item, I found it through www.oemfordparts.com. It was like $25.00 and fits perfectly in the 3rd row.

I looked at other options, aftermarket and it was going to cost about $100 to get something custom fitted. The $25 option worked well for me, since that back row will rarely see use.
  • steelersfansteelersfan Member Posts: 16
    jposter -- great tip, thanks! I was looking for a inexpensive black hitch cover and my dealer couldn't help me - of course, they had a $34 one! This site has the cover I was looking for ($8).

I am interested in the 3rd row mat you referred to. Is the one described below the one you are talking about? (I pulled it off the site).

1L2Z-7813182-AAD - Med. Dk. Graphite (zubo) Full Rear, 3rd Row, No Logo

I don't want to get the wrong one. Thanks.
  • homer61388homer61388 Member Posts: 54
    My wife and I are looking at a new suv. This will be primarily her car. She will be trading in her loaded 1998 Chevrolet Blazer LT for a new vehicle. We were satisfied enough to consider another vehicle from GM. I guess we were lucky because I hear that some Blazers weren't as reliable as others. We had no problems, except the usual wear and tear. She definitely wants something bigger and just or more luxurious as the blazer. She does not want something too big however, like the suburban is too big for her to drive. We absolutely need a third row of seats, this time! We just had a new edition to our family so it would be more comfortable to have 3 rows of seats. We also would like to own a vehicle that would have adequate towing capabilities. Our blazer had about 5,000 lbs. of towing capacity which was adequate for hauling our trailers and our boat. Although it did ocassionally get winded. So a V8 would be nice this time.
    The mountaineer does seem more appealing because of its new safety designs and more robust engine offerings. We would like sufficient amounts of safety, performance, towing/hauling ability, reliability, and comfort. We were also looking at the Trailblazer and I think that there is a model that comes with a 3rd row of seats now. We also like the Durango, I think that it is getting redesigned soon so it maybe a good time for rebates and discounts.
    I am a little unsure of this trio's American reliability so I have also thrown the Toyota sequoia into the mix. The mountaineer and the trailblazer are brand new so they maybe prone to problems.
    If you could send back any input that would be nice!
    THANKS!
  • dickypoodickypoo Member Posts: 6
    Roof racks are frequently the source of wind noise. Try repositioning the cross bar (try farther back first).
    The Toyota Sequoia is just about as big as a Suburban. An Explorer is 190" L, 72" W, 71" H. A Sequoia is 204" L, 78" W, 76" H. A Suburban is about a foot longer than a Sequoia but has similar height and width.

I have the same issue with towing capacity. The crossover vehicles like the MDX are exactly what I want but they can't tow my 5,000 pound boat/trailer. If you don't have that much weight to tow, take a look at the new Honda Pilot. It's able to tow 4,500 pounds (if it's a boat). You don't get the torque of a V-8 but you're not paying for the fuel, either. The depreciation hit is also likely to be less with a Honda if you trade cars every 3 years.
  • kenttrudiwkenttrudiw Member Posts: 11
    If you put the Explorer/Mountaineer up against any compact SUV and even some bigger ones tahoe? The Explorer comes up on top of most spec's, towing, comfort, safety, interior size for each of the 3 rows, ride & handling, price etc... The V-8 just stacks up very well against about anybody!
    To: steelersfan - I too ordered the black hitch cover from oemfordparts (it was like 7.50), their shipping was very reasonable I believe it was around $6.00 for the hitch cover and floor mat (came UPS ground in about 3 days and they sent me tracking info by email). Your part number appears to be the correct one, I ordered mine in the parchment color though. It was a very good experience with this dealer they are out of Texas I believe and I will definately get my future accessories from them.

Wind noise update - I haven't messed with the roof rack yet. I was getting a wind noise, sounded like a cracked open window, on the passenger side. The dealer diagnosed a defective rubber molding around the door frame (passenger side). They've ordered the part and I should get it installed next week. I hope this solves the problem as the noise is driving me nuts.

homer61388 - can't speak as to the Mountaineer, but we love our 2002.5 Explorer. I also considered the Trailblazer, the new Honda Pilot (3rd row was a joke and towing capacity stinks) and the Acura MDX. I thought the Trailblazer was a little too rough compared to the Explorer. With the v8, the towing ability and smooth power is hard to beat in the Explorer. Although the Trailblazer has more horses, in my opinion, its not nearly as smooth as the ford v8. Although I have heard the Envoy / Trailblazer will soon be offered with a small v8 option.

Right now Ford has like $2500 rebates on '02 Explorers (pretty hard to beat), plus interest rates are quite low. I think we got like 5.4% over 60 months through www.peoplefirst.com (the easiest way to buy a car in my opinion, they send you a blank check you fill in the amount to any licensed dealer).

Good luck.
  • jra77jra77 Member Posts: 2
    Has any else noticed this vibration? I have the V8 AWD. Any solutions? Tire balance and alignment OK. The dealer conveniently doesn't notice it. I recently drove about 200 interstate miles and it nearly drove me nuts. Help!
  • jra77jra77 Member Posts: 2
    Has any else noticed this noise? A very loud rumble lasting a couple of seconds just after start the vehicle. Enough to turn heads. Intermittent occurrence. Any solutions? The dealer says this is normal. Ya right, like anyone would buy one if it occurred at every test drive!!!

Dealer also says this occurs on Windstars.

Does Ford always look the other way? Where's the service?
    I read about every review I could find before buying my new Explorer. Look around here on the Edmunds site, I believe an issue that some of the reviews I read was a loud transmission based noise / vibration in the Mountaineer. I think it has something to do with the AWD vs. the 4WD in the Explorer?
    I have towed 5000# in and around New

England w/ my 2002.5 Explorer and have NO complaints whatsoever. If you need more, here's a link to Trailer Life magazine's review of 2002 Ford Explorer V8. http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?ID=42067

They also did one in their latest issue on the V6. Also, as far as a Toyota Sequoia being just about as big as a Suburban? I recently had to rent an Excursion which is similar to the Suburban. Well, that Excursion makes any Sequoia, Durango, Trailblazer, heck, even Expedition small. I saw them all while tooling 2000 miles up & down the east coast this week. A nice, comfortable ride, but its BIG. Anyway, sorry to get off topic, happy trailering.
  • mwmcdonald1mwmcdonald1 Member Posts: 17
    Here's an article from TrailerBoat Magazine on towing with the V8 Explorer, Durango, and Envoy.

http://www.trailerboats.com/trailerboats_cfmfiles/articles/darticle2.cfm?id=235

• maryzonamaryzona Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my Sport Trac in February and love it. Only problem I've noticed is accelerating forward after being in reverse a vibration or shuttering is noticeable for the first couple of seconds. I am not sure it is the tranny, just assuming so. Also, the warmer the truck, the more noticable the sensation. I am not a very mechanical person and would like to sound like I know what I'm talking about before taking it in. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks for any help
  • icefan1icefan1 Member Posts: 14
    For all the Ford nay sayers who infect these boards spewing their anti-American, Ford stinks, Honda-Acura can do no wrong propaganda and to those who are rightfully and intelligently are seriously considering purchasing an Explorer...
    I have had mine for two months (02.5 XLT)and have put on 2700 miles and have had NOT ONE PROBLEM. This is an excellent vehicle. Yes, I did my research. Yes I test drove the competition. Yes I would recommend this car to anyone. Thank you and have a nice day.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ... let's tone it down. Incendiary diatribes like that disturb the peace.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion without having to pass any kind of litmus test for patriotism. We're discussing vehicles, not infectious diseases.

Thanks.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • gregb882gregb882 Member Posts: 75
    Then I think you need to get over to the Synthetic Oil board - those guys appear to be infected! :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, every few months I like to go over there and talk about my 7,500 mile oil changes with dead dino :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • adptwinsadptwins Member Posts: 2
    I have the following deal pending at a local Ford dealership:

2002.5 Explorer XLT Flex Fuel V6. Running boards are the only option. MSRP is $31,520 with destination charge.

Invoice is $28,676.

I will be paying $28,571, minus $500 Ford Targeted e-mail rebate = $28,071, @ 0.0% over 60 months. No advertising charges.

Option to purchase the 7 year or 75K Extra Care Warranty with $50 deductible for $1,015, dealer cost.

I choose the 0% over the $2,500 rebate.

Is this a good deal in today's market?
    Sounds good. I purchased my first Ford in April. It matches yours (02.5 XLT, V6, 3.73 axle, tow pkg, MSRP $31,520) I looked for about a month, really researching prices and found the best price locally. I paid $28320 minus $1500 rebate. (The rebates are sweeter now!) No other charges except the taxes (ouch!) Final out the door cost was $28519. I didn't buy the warranty & I used my credit union financing because I wanted to double up on my payments. I used Edmunds calculator to see what worked better for my financing situation. Its a good tool. Good luck with your purchase!
  • richmodrichmod Member Posts: 4
    My Mountaineer is currently in the shop for the second time to try to resolve the vibration issue. There is a technical service bulletin (TSB)that seemingly recognizes the problem at http://flatratetech.com/oasis/TSB%2002-10-1.htm. My dealer did the repairs mapped out in the TSB -still didn't work. My dealer also conveniently said they thought it was fixed and didn't notice it anymore, so I went for a ride with the service manager and the mechanic together - it was too obvious for them to deny. So now they apparently are waiting for some special instrument that will isolate exactly where the vibration is coming from so they can fix it. I figure I'll go through the motions and if they try four times to fix it and can't, my states lemon law kicks in and I get a new truck. I re-drove an two identical vehicles to mine (AWD V-6)on their lot and neither of them had the problem. I even dragged my salesman into driving my vehicle and the one on their lot so he could see the difference and vouch for me.

I know exactly how you feel - I've gone on two long trips since buying the vehicle two months ago and the vibration angers me to no end. A brand new 30,000 SUV shouldn't feel like a tractor at highway speeds.

Good luck.

• sirlinsirlin Member Posts: 2
    Like to know what is the price anyone has recently paid for 4X4 Explorer in the DFW (Dallas-Fort Worth) area? Thanks.
  • rec3rec3 Member Posts: 22
    I have a friend who expressed interest in a Honda Pilot so I spent some time looking into the Pilot and Acura MDX Town Hall discussions. These people are on waiting lists to buy these vehicles for $1K to $3K OVER MSRP! I think most would not consider an Explorer or a Mountaineer because of the perceived superiority of the Hondas.

My experience with a 1995 Explorer XLT was great with one oxygen sensor, rear brake pads, and one set of Michelins in 130,000 miles of comfortable driving.

Mr. HOST, your remarks about patriotism were off-base. The point is that the bias away from Ford and GM is unwarranted by the facts. This should be a forum that can point out shortsightedness from any direction.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Mr. HOST, your remarks about patriotism were off-base.

My remarks were precisely on target. Everyone here is entitled to their opinion without having to pass any kind of litmus test for patriotism. We are discussing vehicles and not infectious diseases.

My error, if any, was in not summarily removing the post to which I replied and which, apparently, you did not read. But I let it stand.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    The owner's manual specifies a super premium
    5w-20 motor oil per a Ford spec.

The only Motorcraft oil I have found at parts stores and Wal-Mart is 5w-20 Premium Synthetic Blend and it meets the Ford spec.

Does anyone know if this is the correct oil? The manual does not say to use a "Synthetic Blend"
  • joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    From what I have read 5w 20 is a synthetic oil blend. It is used in Hondas and Fords to achieve better gas mileage. Lighter weight less friction and you get a shade better MPG.

I used Quaker State 5w 20. I was considering Mobile one but am staying the course with the recommended oil.
  • jerry2281jerry2281 Member Posts: 97
    Is scheduled for August 19.
  • icefan1icefan1 Member Posts: 14
    Tidester, thanks for not erasing my post "For what it is worth." Just trying to stir the pot a bit, not trying to call anyone's patriotism into question. Maybe I should post it over on a Pilot or MDX board! Of course all Pilot's and MDX's are made in the USA by American workers who hopefully promptly go out and spend their wages on an Explorer!
  • zderfzderf Member Posts: 44
    Since new, my 2002 V8 AWD has had strange shift characteristics (I was used to the new 4.0 V6 with 5 speed auto in a Sport Trac.. a wonderful set up). It would clunk into the next higher gear if shifting under light load or deceleration. It was a nuisance, but not particularly offensive. At the 5,000 mile service, I mentioned this to the servicing dealer. They seemed aware of the phenomena and worked to a TSB from FoMoCo by updating the PCM with 162A12A650 SB.

Now, the characteristics have changed. The shift into 4th or overdrive is noticeable with a shudder..almost like driving over a defect in the road surface (that is what I first thought it was). This past weekend, I was towing my 2000# pop-up camper up an incline at about 60mph. It downshifted to maintain speed, and then upshifted back to 4th (not OD) with a horrifying chatter-type clunk. It lasted for a good 1 second. WOW!! I was then very cautious from then on to avoid that circumstance.

I may have the only such situation, but I am suspicious this AWD system may have some issues. I can't find any way to seek technical info from FoMoCo directly (no contacts on web site)and before I go back to the dealership (OK, recreate the problem for us scenario), does anyone have any experience on this?

Thanks for your favorable consideration.

Zderf, Seattle
  • kheintzelmankheintzelman Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2002 V8 4WD XLT w/ towing package (class-III/IV hitch), Michelin Cross Terrains, and ~19,000 miles logged. So far, my truck has been a jewel-- no problems with tranny, wind noise, vibrations, etc. That said, I offer a few thoughts: 1) Before I accepted my new truck, I had the dealer swap the running BOARDS for a pair of Ford's TUBULAR running bars, since I feel the latter look nicer, and unlike the running boards (which create a closed space between the lower sides of the truck and the medial aspect of the boards), snow and mud are less likely to collect and cake on and around the tubular bars, and if it does, it's a simple matter to just kick the tubes in order to dislodge it. But perhaps more significantly, I wonder if those running BOARDS (which are surely comprised of a metal frame with overlaying plastic sheeting) might be a potential source of wind noise at higher speeds, possibly due to turbulence as well as (possibly) a "reed" effect? Many are reporting that the wind noise seems to be coming from the right rear door area, but don't forget that the actual location of many car noises can be notoriously difficult for the driver to isolate, and automotive noises can be very deceptive with regard to actual source and locations; 2) Along the same lines, I had front and rear Husky mud flaps installed on my truck almost immediately after buying it, and I wonder if these flaps may help to break-up or favorably modify wind currents that might otherwise occur around the lower doors (?). 3) Regarding the often mentioned noise coming from the left A-pillar, I've noticed that the height- adjustable shoulder harness mechanism may emit a very soft chatter at times. In addition, in my truck there seems to be an occasional, brief creaking sound when the body shell flexes during lateral, rolling forces. 4) I've also found other putativel sources of subtle noises appearing to come from the left rear cabin, including a slight rattle from the removeable cargo cover, as well as the plastic coverings found on the front and rear seat anchors (to the floor)-- check these covers to be sure they are snapped tightly in place, and if necessary, try adding a little foam tape to the inside of these plastic covers if they tend to briefly "buzz" when you tap on them while they're in place; 5) Regarding the issue of rough shifting, I've not encountered this with my truck, but I will say that these tranny's (and brakes) are said to undergo an electronic "learning and adjusting" to the driver's habits, and during this "learning" period, occasional less-than-smooth shifts may occur, and I've noticed that if the battery cables are disconnected (such as when installing an aftermarket audio power amp), the vehicle will then "drive" differently for a time, since this "learning" sequence starts over again due to the interruption in battery power and memory.
  • tvbraintvbrain Member Posts: 10
    I'm over the 22K mile mark on my 2002 XLT V6 and my mileage is improving. Once between 16-17 MPG I now seem to be getting between 18-19 MPG. Most of the miles are on the freeway. My commute is about 55 miles round trip. I've also lowered my average speed since getting nabbed for doing 80 in a 65.

Only problem seems to be occasional rough idling upon starting. I noticed one wiper blade needs to be replaced too.

I'm bummed to see that the seats have been re-designed. This truck could be more comfortable.
  • csuracicsuraci Member Posts: 6
    Just wondering how did you get that $500 email rebate from Ford? Thanks!