Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus IS 300 SportCross

pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
edited March 2014 in Lexus
Here is the new place to discuss the 2002 IS 300 SportCross. To start, here's some information from Edmunds.com's News. What do you think?

Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
Host
Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

Comments

• wishbone2001wishbone2001 Member Posts: 12
    This vehicle caught my eye at the recent Auto Show in Toronto and has caused me to postpone my decision to buy a new vehicle until I get to test drive the IS300 SportCross in September. Can't wait. I am thrilled with the return to prominence of the station wagon in the marketplace. Lots more to chose from now, including quality wagons from Passat, Volvo, Subaru, Saab, etc. Four/all wheel drive option on the IS300 would put the final touches to the lineup.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    I think that if I had the money I'd be at the dealer the day the first one rolled off the truck. Put a manual transmission is it, and I'd be one very happy camper...
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    The IS300 needs a manual. The 215 hp doesn't act like it should when you look at the acceleration numbers. A stick should cure that. Then I'll put it on my list.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Stick is out in the fall, reputedly 6 speed. Anyone have any other details regarding the 2002 IS300 SportCross?
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Someone posted over in the OB Sport topic that Lexus had decided not to bring over the wagon afterall. Is this true? I hadn't read anything about this and I keep up on this stuff pretty regularly.

Stephen
    (New WRX owner)
  • thegeneraltsothegeneraltso Member Posts: 25
    i wasn't fortunate enough to see the car in person ... but looking at the pic, it looks more like a hatch? like a vw golf.. am i wrong.
    Toyota confirmed that it is the 5-speed, not the 6-speed manual which will be coming out this fall in the Sedan. Toyota also confirmed that theSportcross gets an additional speaker (9 instead of 8 on the sedan).

Unconfirmed: Centre armrest, electrochromic mirrors, full leather seating and stiffer suspension are rumoured. Possible engine tweak for a few more hp.

Please add to this list, thx.

I also noted the comment that the SportCross will not make it to the US. Toyota Canada confirmed recently that it is coming. However, anything can change.

The SportCross looks like a combination of my old '90 Civic Si Hatchback and the Outback Sport on steroids. This is not a criticism, as I really like the styling and saw the blue version last month. Very nice.
  • thegeneraltsothegeneraltso Member Posts: 25
    thanks jeff for the photo site... it looks like a small wagon. subura impreza(?) or maybe a five-door saab(?). i wouldn't mind having one!!!
  • shoesshoes Member Posts: 131
    Wow, Now Lexus is copying old Saab designs? I am sure it will drive better than my old five door Saab 900.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Because of the cross over nature of the Lexus IS 300 SportCross, we've linked this discussion to the Hatchbacks and Station Wagons Message Boards. You'll now be able to access this discussion through either of these boards. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Boards
  • ms_joannems_joanne Member Posts: 69
  • hk2lahk2la Member Posts: 53
    Boy have I been out of the loop! This is the first that I know about the SportCross. Any info on price????
    does that remind anyone else of a Saab hatchback?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• silverlexsilverlex Member Posts: 156

Except for everything behind the back doors, and the front of the IS isn't as thin as the 9-5. Though, they both have the wrap around headlights.
    I was even thinking of the 4-door hatchback Saab, not necessarily the wagon.

You're absolutely right.

for those pics. I couldn't find any good ones to post. Actually, now that I look back, I see someone else here mentioned it looks like a Saab.

I'm also not criticizing. I think it looks pretty good (I do like the looks of the Saab, too).

Now, give me a manual transmission and a pricetag right under $30K please.

That little article by Edmund's says the Sportcross will not be available with a manual. That's interesting. I find it rather odd, as a matter of fact. I think (hope) that will change.

I don't know much about the wagon version of the IS300, but I'm pretty sure it wont. I guess they felt the sedan was the only market for it. It's a bummer for a lot of people, on top of the fact that it won't be offered with AWD as it is overseas.

Price should be about the same as the sedan, except for when it first comes out, in which case you'd be paying closer to sticker.

As it is now, you can get a loaded sedan with a sticker of 35K for 31K. The sportcross will probably end up the same, unless you opt for navi.
  • perritoperrito Member Posts: 66
    Well,

Just thought that anybody working for LEXUS might want to know this: GIVE US A MANUAL! There is nothing sporty about this wagon if it comes only in a slush-box... I swear.. one of these days, pow! right to the moon alice!....
    The Lexus Customer Assistance Center
    Monday - Friday, 6:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. PT

Phone: 1-800-255-3987 prompt #4
    Fax: 1-310-468-2992
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    (or hatch), I love the looks but I think I'll keep my 5spd WRX wagon for the thrill of it all. :-) BTW, totally agree that Lexus is missing the boat by not offering a manual, in fact, I believe it's a major reason why the sedan is not selling as well as Lexus had hoped or made a bigger in-road into Bimmer 3-series market share.

Stephen
    IS300.net has the pricing for the 2002 IS (manual, AT and Sportcross) on their front page under the news section. It also includes prices for individual options.

The Sportcross will start at $32,305.
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    It doesn't seem to include destination charge and it seems that the price is the same as 2001 for automatic. Anywhere I can see the new picture of 2002 automatic or the comparison of standard features between 2001 and 2002? Thanks.
    Here's a scan of the specifications for the 2002 Sportcross. It appears the Sportcross will have wider rear wheels, running on 225 instead of 215, something I wish was standard on the sedan.
  • mcdanielbc1mcdanielbc1 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone heard if and when Lexus is going to make a coupe based off of the is300.

These were taken with a digital camera, so they might not be completely accurate. Every color except red has a metallic finish.
    Lexus Ranks No. 1 in J.D. Power and Associates Customer Service Study for the 10th Time in 11 Years

July 11, 2001 -- Torrance, CA -- Lexus once again upheld its reputation as the industry leader in customer satisfaction as reflected in the latest J.D. Power and Associates study announced today. For 2001, Lexus is No. 1 in Customer Satisfaction with Dealer Service in the independent research firm’s Customer Service Index (CSI) Study.

With 903 out of a possible 1,000 points, Lexus holds the top spot for the 10th time in 11 years. CSI results are based on more than 56,000 vehicle owners who evaluated their visits to dealerships during the first three years of ownership. Even with the increased sales volume the Lexus brand has experienced in the past few years, Lexus dealers continue to stay focused on exceeding customers’ expectations and providing the best service in the industry.

"At Lexus, success is defined by much more than vehicles sales," said Denny Clements, Lexus group vice president and general manager. "When Lexus was established in 1989, our commitment was to give customers an unparalleled buying and ownership experience, and now 12 years later, these survey results show that our cream-of-the-crop dealers continue to deliver on Lexus’ high standards for customer satisfaction."

The combination of excellent products and outstanding customer treatment has resulted in Lexus becoming one of the world’s premier luxury brands.

The article is found here
  • perritoperrito Member Posts: 66
    Lexus just lost another 30-something customer because of NO manual transmission on the new SportCross. So, they can do it for the sedan, and then they call their hatchback a "sport-x" without a 5 speed: what a joke.

Sigh!
    perrito
  • jgroffjgroff Member Posts: 1
    there is a little info and some new pictures on the lexus.com web page regarding 2002 IS300
    Here's some pics of the Sportcross demo at my local dealership outside of Atlanta. Their internet manager took some shots and passed them on to me.
    That speedo IS in kph, is it not?

But this is a traveling demo - so my guess is it's not intended to remain in the states. Probabaly off to Canada. I'm going to look at it this weekend. The slotted rotors and painted calipers are also not standard, but they look good.
    a travelling demo. I was wondering.

Kinda strange then that he wedged it into the middle of the showfloor, eh? Is this not a driveable demo?

I was thinking the same thing...they're a little cramped for showroom floorspace.

I don't believe this is driveable. For show only I'm pretty sure.
    I just got back from looking at the 2002 Sportcross that's making its way throughout the US as a prototype (release is August). I wasn't so much interested in the Wagon version of the IS300, but I wanted to see some of the stuff that will be available in the 2002 sedans.

Two major improvements for 2002 are the armrest and the Navigation. The navigation was so well done - quick and very simple to operate via a tiny joystick and button control just under the armrest. It's a shame it wasn't available for `01. The new dash looks good completely black, but I still prefer the brushed aluminum. But it gives it a more conservative look which will probably help it sell to older audiences. Also, the full leather is a nice feature, allowing those not big on the escaine inserts another choice.

Other minor changes/additions worth mentioning is the VSC (vehicle skid control) and the curtain airbags and auto dimming rear mirror. For those who own a `01, the armrest and auto-dimming mirror should be easy additions once their available. Now if they only had memory seating as an option.

Not a bad start for `02, especially with the stick arriving. Lots to look forward to as this car starts to evolve.
    Anyone know if the back seat leg room was expanded in the new SportCross compared with the Sedan? The sedan is tight for legroom as y'all know. This will be an important factor for me when deciding.

thx
    Rear leg/shoulder/headroom remains the same.
  • joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    I am a 53 year old who Lexus also lost as a customer. They only went halfway. They say they want to compete with BMW but they don't REALLY. Where's the 5 or 6 speed with the sportcross body. Thats the only IS300 I would buy. I agree perrito. What a joke.
  • focusmatt2focusmatt2 Member Posts: 106
    I think they should bring the IS200 series over here, too.

The engine is not that fast, i.e. 0-60 in 8.5 seconds or so, but it's a very slick 2.0 inline-six that gets a 6-speed manual i believe, which basically equates to a BMW smoothness of the engine with the Celica-style of revving. It would pose an interesting entry-level Lexus product, which I think would definitely boost sales. It would be sort of like a sedan alternative to the RS-X, or possibly a G20 with some power.
    Anyone buy one yet?
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmunds' review of the Lexus IS Sportcross is now availble. Here's a direct link to Spin Around Town: 2002 Lexus IS 300 SportCross, By Liz Kim. What do you think? Happy motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • troyy2ktroyy2k Member Posts: 91
    It seems as through the Subaru Impreza SportWagon WRX outperforms the Sportcross, is AWD, and is about 6-8 grand less expensive. And it can be had in a 5 speed.
  • troyy2ktroyy2k Member Posts: 91
    Could someone please explain how well the steering wheel shifting system works on the sportcross?
This discussion has been closed.