Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona (2005 and Earlier)

Comments

• elthunterelthunter Member Posts: 7
    Regarding Torque Steer:
    I have to say, I haven't experienced any torque steer or pulling with my Sedona. However, with my old Grand Caravan, I would experience pulling to the left if the road had much of a crown to it. With a vehicle as heavy as the Sedona, I would imagine that the weight might make it pull to the left (or the down hill side of a road with a good crown).

To initavan:
    My choice was between a two - three year old Toyota Sienna and a new Sedona EX. I found I could buy a new Sedona with all the options I wanted, AND the great warranty, for less than I could get a used Toyota. After I got past the apprehension of buying a Korean vehicle, I found no reason why I should get the Toyota, and several reasons why I should get the Sedona.
  • mcperrmcperr Member Posts: 74
    My experience of over 2 years driving an EX is that the Sedona exhibits very little torque steer for a heavy front-driver with a fairly torquey motor. I only notice it at all when excelerating around a corner.

I have noticed, however, that our van steering is quite sensitive to tire pressures. A tire low by even a few pounds makes the vehicle pull noticeably in that direction. I keep a tire pressure guage in the dash-top glove compartment and try to check the inflation pressures about once a month.
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    Anyone care to share their dealer cost for 15k service?

I usually try to do my own, but am out working on an investigation out of town, so had my wife take our 93 EX into the dealer we purchased it from(7k svc was free). Ran $200 which I thought was pretty steep. Haven't sighted the invoice yet, but wife remembers just tire rotation and oil/filter chg. About $15 worth of materials and an hour of time.

Just curious as to other folks cost. Dealership was in Richmond, VA.
  • jcrider2jcrider2 Member Posts: 46
    navyair

I take my 2002 EX to the local KIA dealer, Hart Oldsmobile/KIA here in Salem Va. and it costs me about $35.00 for an oil change and tire rotation
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Don't forget the Edmunds Maintenance Guide for suggested costs too.

Steve, Host
  • smulveysmulvey Member Posts: 139
    The $ 200 sound about right if they did the automatic transmission fluid change.
    The manual calls for " SEVERE SERVICE" users to change the tranny fluid at 10-15 K miles.

I have done it twice now myself. It is a drain plug equipped pan.

The fluid level is supposed to be about 6 quarts.
    The Fluid is a type developed by Mitsubishi Motors and is called Diamond Star, instead of the DEXTRON for GM or the " Mercon " used by Fords.

The fluid is about $ 5 a quart at the dealer.
    I have not seen it anywhere else.

$ 5 X 6 QTs = $ 30
    The dealers like to use the " fluid flusher " machine.
    They charge $ 69 for that service.
    So that would be $ 100 right there.

Then you got the air filter.
    The Air filter is $ 16 , labor ? $ 10
    So lets say $ 25 ?

The regular oil change would be $ 35.

Now we are up to $ 160.

Tire " balance & Rotation " $ 40 maybe??

They loaded you up!
    This is how they make the money.
    After the sale none of the dealers want to see a car in the shop unless they can get a few hundred bucks out of it.

Very few ever let you in and out for what something is worth elsewhere.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    I don't know if this has been discussed before. After seeing the TV ad about 5 star crash test rating....if your main reason to buy the Sedona is safety, you may want to check out the following links:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/2420.html

http://www.euroncap.com/details.php3?id=car_167_2003

The crash test results by US and European governments are very different.
    Please click on Recent Messages instead of refreshing your browser after you post.

If you refresh, duplicate posts will appear. Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Our 2002 Sedona EX goes back to the dealer tomorrow, hopefully to resolve several longstanding complaints. #1 is the poor keyless remote (sometimes doesn't work at all, and max range when it does work is about 10 feet). I want to educate my dealer on the grounding plate replacement procedure - advisor could find no info about this while we spoke on the phone recently. I saw lagavulin had this procedure done a while back, but his email address is not listed and he has not posted in several months so I don't know how to contact him. Anyone else have any suggestions? I'll bring the dealer a copy of the post in which lagavulin describes the procedure, but I don't know if that will be enough.
  • bnhbucksbnhbucks Member Posts: 74
    Steve - thanks for the link to the maintenance schedule - helpful.

Also, Kiiwii- what is the difference between the nhtsa and the Euroncap ratings? It obviously looks as though the van did very well in one and horrible in the other. What's up with this?
  • lagavulinlagavulin Member Posts: 20
    I'm still around. Haven't posted in a long time. Too busy driving kids around to their various activities (and I've got 59,000 km on my Sedona to attest to that!)

Regarding the fix to the keyless entry problem, here's all the info I can provide. First of all, my problem was identical to yours, and it existed from the day I picked the van up. The operation of the keyless remote was intermittent. Sometimes I could be sitting in the front passenger seat and the damn thing wouldn't work (the remote receiver and its antenna are apparently located immediately behind the upper glove box). When it did work, the range was just about as you describe it, i.e. no more than about 10 feet. Before taking it in to the dealership, I changed the battery on the remote, but the problem persisted. I reported it to my dealer on the first service appointment, and they ordered me a new remote. When it came in, they re programmed the receiver and for a while the intermittent problem seemed to go away (albeit with continued crappy range), but eventually it returned to its old pattern of frustratingly spotty operation.

The next visit, the mechanic completely removed the receiver from behind the glove box, and re installed it, with the assumption that maybe there was a poor electrical connection (in fact he said he did find one poorly crimped connector that he replaced). But, no luck.

On a subsequent service appointment for an unrelated problem, the service manager explained that his mechanics had just returned from "Kia School" and during the training it had been demonstrated to them how to improve the range of the keyless remote with the infamous grounding plate. Here's how it was explained to me.

The original, factory-installed receiver was mounted on a plastic plate to isolate it from the van's frame. The signal from the remote was received on a little stub of an antenna hanging off the receiver. The operation of the keyless remote is poor because a) the antenna is so small it picks up very little radio frequency (RF) energy, and b) the body of the van tends to shield the antenna from receiving the RF.

The modification involved removing the plastic plate and somehow bonding the antenna to the frame of the vehicle, effectively turning the metal of the frame into one big antenna. The result was impressive. The range increased from 10 feet to at least 60 feet, and that's in a parking lot full of cars! Line-of-sight, the range is even better.

Interestingly enough, after the modification, the operation was still intermittent (great range, but sometimes wouldn't work at all) and eventually the dealer replaced the entire receiver unit. Since then (summer of 2002) I have had absolutely zero problems with the keyless remote.

It sounds to me that you have the same two problems that I had (poor range AND a faulty receiver). Be persistent (and patient). The problems are fixable. Hopefully this testimonial will help. I'm not aware of any service bulletin that addresses this problem, but it was obviously identified by Kia before I discovered it.

Good luck!
  • akwilliamsakwilliams Member Posts: 40
    It has been well over a year since we posted. I thought others might benefit/be interested in a relatively high mileage update. Our 2002 EX has just over 37K miles on it. Overall,we are pleased with the purchase.

We had only one unscheduled visit (aside from recalls) when the windshield cracked. Others have had this problem. It was replaced under warranty. We like the smooth ride and the great low end torque. The tires (hankooks) never seem to wear. They still look and ride like they are new. The van is a great highway cruiser. I have made four golf trips to Myrtle (from Allentown) with four guys (clubs and luggage)and all of them have nothing but praise for this little Korean. These are "car guys" who can be pretty picky. One has already looked into buying a Sedona for his wife.

What about the negatives?

Thin sheet metal. These vans ding easily. Also, as others have noted, the interior plastic scratches easily. The gas tank never quite seems to get to full. The remote stinks. The seats are bit heavy and not the easiest to take out and put back in. A few more horses under the hood would be nice. The front bumper gets "pock marked" from highway driving.

Our conclusion. Even with the trivial and not so trivial negatives, the vehicle is one heck of a buy. Our experience is that it is a solid, safe, economical, and reliable people mover. Add in the warranty (we extended it to a 10 year bumper to bumper for $600) (( I know, they usually are not worth it, but I was a little concerned about going with a Kia)), and you have a van that competes very favorably with everything else out there.
    Thanks for the additional details. It seems you are in Ontario, Canada - correct? Based on a couple phone discussions with the service advisor at our local dealer and with a couple folks at Kia USA, they know nothing about the grounding plate fix that your local Kia technician learned about at 'Kia school.' According to the lady at Kia USA who returned my call, the Canadian Kia operation is 100% separate from the U.S. operation. So that might explain why both my dealer and Kia USA know nothing about this fix. Still disappointing, though.

Unfortunately, I forgot to leave the transmitter at the dealer when we dropped our Sedona off, so they were unable to troubleshoot anything.
  • firetektoofiretektoo Member Posts: 15
    We just bought our SECOND Sedona about a month ago.

Here's the story: After almost exactly 2 years of ownership (bought the second one sold in Tulsa July 2001) and 57000 virtually trouble-free miles, we took our beloved van into the dealer for yet another routine maintenance. Called the shop to see if it was ready and got a VERY pregnant pause followed by "Uh, we have a small problem...."
    Seems there was this BIG tow truck on the lot that day who failed to see our van when he backed up. Nailed the right rear corner at somewhere (mustabeen) near freeway speed. Right sliding door, RR quarter panel, glass, entire AC unit, bumper, tailgate, bent rear a-arm, broken wheel. Damage estimate in excess of $5K. Not your usual parking lot damage.

Needless to say, we were NOT pleased.

We really enjoyed our Sedona and were totally happy with it, but were NOT willing to accept an apology and some body work. So, after mentioning the words "lawyer" and "sue", our local Kia dealer proceded to make us the deal of the century on a brand new left-over 2003. Identical color and options EX but with cloth instead of leather (we never really liked the leather - too stiff).

In keeping with our long tradition of mega roadtrips, we just returned from an 11-day, 5000 mile vacation in our new van. Flawless performance, 22.3mpg average including a number of miles through the Rockies.

Call this a testimonial, if you will, about one of the finest car makes on the market today.

We STILL love our Kia!
    Congrats on your 2nd new Sedona. I've been tempted the last few months to buy a 2nd one for our family. With the regular rebate and extra $1,000 Kia loyalty rebate, I figure we could have had a loaded 2003 EX for well under $21k.

Please clarify exactly what happened to your first/damaged Sedona - did the dealer fix it for free and return to you, or did you trade it in, or did they buy it back for original purchase price, or...
  • erikkleinerikklein Member Posts: 50
    From page 32 of Motor Trend Magazine (11/2003):

Hyundai Minivan:
    Kia's next-generation Sedona minivan, expected about model-year 2006, will spawn a Hyundai version. It'll be offered in two sizes, like the current Chyrsler minivans. A V-6, similar to the current 3.5-liter Sedona's, will probably be the only engine choice.
    That's as bad as having your van fall off the lift, Firetektoo. I'm assuming the dealer took the wrecked one in as trade and gave you a nice price for it?

Steve, Host
  • 99windstar99windstar Member Posts: 30
    Pretty tough. My wife tested ours about 3 hours ago. She and our three kids are fine - our van is probably toast.

She was taking the kids to school when she ran off the road and tumbled the Sedona down a 50 foot embankment. The only part of the van's body not bent is the rear hatch!

The roof is crushed in front - along with the windshield, the hood is crushed, both front doors are mangled and the glass is busted out, the side mirrors broke off, the sliding doors are bent along with both quarter panels. And the right front tire blew out and is nearly off the rim.

The amazing thing is that even with all that damage, we were able to drive the van out of the ravine and up to street level so it could be loaded onto a roll-back. More amazing is that no one was injured - at all!

Several people commented that our van should be an ad for Kia. I'd have to agree. It was one tough little mini van that "gave its life" to protect my family.
  • minivanfrankminivanfrank Member Posts: 83
    WOW!!! Great news that your family was not hurt...also comforting to know that the Sedona came through and took a beating to protect them.
    Glad to hear everyone is ok, 99windstar. If there's any way you can link to a photo or two, we'd be interested to see them. Check the Help link on the left for posting info if you want to try it.

Too many people are winding up with new vans the hard way in here this week!

Steve, Host
    99windstar - Thank God (and Kia) your family is OK. One tough car! BTW - traded in a 99windstar on our first Sedona....
    I'd also like to see some pics!!

Steve: Yes, they made me a great trade-in deal, fixed the van, and it has now been sold to some unsuspecting buyer. I'm sure they will be OK with it, though. Mechanically, it was still perfect and a hell of a runner.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    probably toast? Smile

Glad that nobody was injured.
  • fishingboyfishingboy Member Posts: 3
    I plan to tow a covered Uhaul trailer and maybe my Toyota Echo. I installed a 3500 lb. hitch and the service manager at the dealership is telling me I need an auxiliary trans cooler. The van comes with one, but he says it is not enough. Some guys are telling me not to add it as it will keep the fluid too cool, and some say it won't do any harm when not towing. Anyone here ever put one in their Sedona? Any advice? Thanks
    Most folks seem to think the Sedona's mechanicals are solidly built, and it is an excellent tow vehicle - better than most minivans in this respect. My impression is a 3500 pound load will be well within your Sedona's limits.

Would the lifespan of your Sedona be extended if you installed an auxiliary transmission cooler? I have no idea.
    I plan to tow a covered Uhaul trailer and maybe my Toyota Echo. I installed a 3500 lb. hitch and the service manager at the dealership is telling me I need an auxiliary trans cooler. The van comes with one, but he says it is not enough. Some guys are telling me not to add it as it will keep the fluid too cool, and some say it won't do any harm when not towing. Anyone here ever put one in their Sedona? Any advice? Thanks
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Not big news, but i'd just like to point out that the American Sedona just got it's second refresh, in its now 3rd year of production.

There is a new grille, wheels, and I believe some interior enhancements, although I can't see any.
    Last year towed a 3000lb poptop manhy hundreds of miles thru the Oklahoma summer. This year, towed a 3700lb boat to the lake many times. Also, every other weekend towed a 5x10 flatbed trailer with 2 ATV's, generator, spare tires, tools, gas cans, water jugs, etc to races all over the 4-state area (my son races off-road).
    I tow at no more than 65 and turn off the OD in hilly areas.
    No problems noted. Also please note the following from the KIA (UK) site. And this is with a 2.5l V-6.

Max towing weight (kg):
      Trailer with brakes 2,000
      Trailer without brakes 570
      Max ball weight 80
      Max permissible weight (kg) 2,665

I'm guessing that US specs are lower probably due to legal considerations.
    Since you don't mention cooler in your text, is it safe to assume you did not install a secondary unit??? Thanks
    not sure what your point is. It's not uncommon at all for vehicles to undergo minor changes from one model year to the next.
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    I wasn't trying to make a point, but consider this... you can now easily tell what the model year of every Sedona is, and you really don't have to think about it! :-)

I see not much is going on here. I guess no news is good news, huh?

My mother's Sportage is still doing fine. 53,000 miles and not a bit of trouble.
  • integradriverintegradriver Member Posts: 123
    Hey, a manufacturer has to keep things fresh every year, so a change of colors here, reshape something there, and you've got great new selling points for the customer that has to have the latest model...even if the core vehicle is the same. Also, it gives them something to keep their salesforce on their toes...something I think Kia needs to work on, after my experience.
    I have to make a correction. After visiting the crash site with my son to retrieve a few missing items, it turns out that the embankment wasn't 50 ft. More like 20 - 25 ft. Still pretty impressive IMO - but I wanted to set the record straight.

Meanwhile, still waiting to hear from insurance, but I have a few quotes on a replacement. Both are new '03 Sedona EXs. Prices are out-the-door inclusive of all fees, taxes, incentives, etc.

1st quote:
    - Anti lock brakes
    - Leather
    - Sunroof
    - Rear Spoiler
    - Tow Hitch
    $22,338.71

2nd quote:
    - Rear Spoiler
    - Tow Hitch
    $21,146.60

What do you guys think?
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Why buy a 2003 at all? Why not go for a 2004?
    That's a good question. For one thing, there are very few around here. In fact, just 1 within a 60 mile radius. It's light green. My wife looked at the color and said "Yuck!" She also doesn't like the new grill (but I do.) Also, the rebate is $1,000 less on the '04s.
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    Recommend you jump on line and check prices. You can then use those quotes with local dealer or purchase elsewhere if you like.

I disregarded the dealers who responded with "call me". About 50% responded that way, the others usually would give a quote. Some high, some low...make sure you ask for an out the door quote, as some lowballers try to make it up in fees.

(One guy in Hampton, VA actually gave me an MSRP quote on a demonstration model. Guess he thought I fell off the turnip truck that morning).

Does that price include the owner loyalty bonus? If so, seems to be a bit stiff on an 03 model.
    navyair,

I guess great minds do think alike! The 2 quotes I have are internet quotes - requested them from 5 dealers Monday. Only 2 have responded so far. The quotes are for drive out cash prices supposedly including ALL rebates. Yeah, they look a little high to me, too. But after all, they're just starting places...
    it's easier to tell you how good those prices are if you tell us how much tax is included in there. E.g. Michigan sales tax is 6% but other states are higher, some lower.

If you plan to keep the van for the long term, I like the lower initial price of 'last year's model' (the 2003). Bigger rebate and larger discounts. 5-6 years from now, a single model year won't make much difference in the depreciation the van has incurred.

Also try carsdirect.com.
    Sales tax in these parts is 6%. Title fee is $18. The lesser of the 2 quotes ($21,146.60) also provided an msrp of $24,020 and a "starting price" of $18,932. So...

$18,932 plus rebates of $3,000 = 21,932
    Add 6% tax on that: $1135.92 = $20,067.92
    Add title fee of $18 = $20,085.92

$21,146.60 - 20,085.92 = $1060.68 which makes it look like they have some very high "documentation fee" or something added in there. But I thought maybe the $18,932 didn't include the destination charges. Who knows?

That van doesn't really have all the options I want anyway. Wife likes it 'cuz it's the cheapest. I'm also working with a local dealer on a loaded model - but I don't have a quote on it yet.

It'll all work out. Somehow.
  • kwonc71kwonc71 Member Posts: 245
    About 2 weeks ago, bought brand new 2003 LX Sedona for $16,788 (after $1000 loyalty rebate) with roof rack and ABS brake. I currently own 1988 Acura Integra and 2000 Hyundai Sonata too. I had 1998 Kia Sephia that broke down many many times. However, I am very happy with my Hyundai. Since Hyundai bought Kia, I decide to give one more chance to Kia. I already have a minor problems. I hear abnormal wind noise from driver's side window. Sounds like rubber and glass not quite sealed tight. After 500 miles brake started make weired noise like "GIK" when it comes to complete stop. Other than that everything works good so far. I will have to take car in for those matters soon, and keep post anything new.
  • pwierpwier Member Posts: 11
    10/28/03, we picked up our 2003 Kia Sedona EX from the dealer (very happy). 10/30/03, the engine light comes on, and it's been back at the dealer since (Not very happy). Hopefully today I will get a diagnosis, it seems to be a fuel vapor sensor. Yeah I know this could happen to any car, but this just sucks really bad. I hope this isn't the start of what my future Kia ownership is going to be.
    So the Purge Control Valve was defective. I will keep my fingers crossed that nothing else happens. I'm kicking myself for declining the extended warranty bumper to bumper option to 10/100000. AAA offers an extended plan for Kia's which I will now look into.
  • dishsnthingsdishsnthings Member Posts: 8
    I had a 2000 Sephia LS and loved it so much I bought the 2003 Sedona EX. the MAIN reason I turned the Sephia in was that I had bought it early in 2000. Kia came out with the 10/100000 sometime in the summer that year and I was stuck with 3/36000. The Sephia had a few minor glitches such as 1999 brake rotors that had to be replaced, but NEVER once during my warrantee did I have to spend one dime. We also bought, and still have a 2000 Sportage with its share of troubles, and STILL never one dime. Seems like your repair was emissions related and should have been at no charge....
    Yeah, everything was covered under the Kia Warranty. What I did, actually earlier today, was purchase an extended warranty to extend my bumper to bumper to 10year 100,000 mile. So now the entire van is covered for 10/100K.

I'm just bummed that the van needed to be repaired two days after I took delivery. Oh well, it's fixed and hopefully it won't happen again.
  • jbaut5jbaut5 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if the Flip Tray is a standard feature in the 2002 Sedona LX? I was told no, but I thought it was.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the folding table between the front 2 seats ('flip tray') was standard on all U.S.-market Sedonas.
  • sedonasorentosedonasorento Member Posts: 29
    I think the flip tray was an option on the EX, but was not available on the LX (at least, not for 02).
    First, what is the correct grade of oil to use in the Sedona, it's not listed anywhere( I'm thinking 10-30), and has anyone used synthetic (Mobile 1).

Another question, has anyone had a roof mounted DVD system installed. Not sure of the mounting process, but with the powered sunroof, how is this done. I think video headrests are the way to go. Please advise.
  • smulveysmulvey Member Posts: 139
    i have 32,000 miles on my sedona and have been using CAstrol Syntec and Mobil 1 Synthetic oil.
    Both are available in a broad range grade that covers low and high tempoerature operations.

Sytec - 50 50 W

Mobil1 - 15 - 50 W
  • hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    There were only about 5 options on the 2002 EX. (moonroof, two tone, leather, ABS, spoiler) The flip tray was standard on the EX, and I'd be surprised if the flip tray was not standard on the LX - I can't see anything in the helpful links articles mentioned to the left to suggest that the cupholder count is four shorter on a standard LX. Although, I didn't read anything therein to suggest they aren't missing. ;)

I agree that the headrest LCD option is probably best. You might take a look at mcminone.com for pricing. OTOH, the flip tray works fine as a platform to place the portable DVD player. ;)
  • rubbermanrubberman Member Posts: 14
    I see a number of comments regarding the difficulty in removing the rear seats. I have had a 2003 for two months. Initially, removal was what I would call awkward. This weekend it took me 10 minutes to remove one and I gave up after twenty minutes on the other. I think it must be a lubrication problem where the latches aren't moving correctly. Anyone else not been able to remove a seat at all? Other than that...we've been very happy with our first van.

Dan