Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona (2005 and Earlier)

Comments

• craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    Seems to me Hyundai is trying to decide how the two brands will stage themselves. At this point it appears to me they are almost competing with themselves. Entry level buyers can choose between the Accent or the Rio. Then there is a choice between the Elantra and the Spectra. Mid size sedan buyers can choose between the Sonota or the Optima. Premium sedan buyers can choose between the XG350 or the Amanti. SUV buyers choose between the Santa Fe or the Sorrento. I think each vehicle in each category is competing with the other. In my opinion they need to determine which brand will be the entry level and which will be the premium brand. Right now they are so close in grade that they compete with each other.

Craig

'04 Sedona EX
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Does it matter if people buy a Kia over a Hyundai or vice versa? I don't think that Hyundai care so long as people buy one or the other and not a Toyota/Honda/Nissan/whatever.
  • jingram105jingram105 Member Posts: 2
    I posted this in another forum but thought this might be best, so here is the same info again. I need help in maiing my buying decision. Thanks.

I have an oportunity to buy a 2000 Toyota Sienna for $13,500 with approx. 53,800 miles, or a 2003 Sedona EX with leather seats, moon roof, etc., with only 15,000 miles for $13,900. My mechanic says buy the Toyota regardless of the mileage difference. What do you think?

The Sedona is much more luxurious, but the Toyota is much more sporty, and I think perhaps even has more room even though the Sedona looks larger.

The Sedona is actually sitting in my driveway now because the dealer insisted that I take it home to show my wife and to keep it overnight. I hate this kind of pressure but I finally gave in just so I could escape. I feel like I'm still waiting for the dealer to read my Miranda Rights to me.

Thanks for any input you can give me.

First time minivan shopper in Birmingham, AL
    Do you like the Sedona in your driveway? Does it drive nice? for that little money you cant go wrong.

If you plan to keep this Van for another 10 years I say go with the Toyota cause you can be assured it will be virtually trouble free.

Craig

'04 Sedona EX
  • jingram105jingram105 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. We still have not made up our minds. I really want a low mileage Honda or Toyota but finding a reasonably priced one in Birmingham, AL is difficult. The dealer has now lowered the price of the KIA down to $13,500. Makes it hard to day no but I'm still not sold.

Thanks for your advice.

jdi
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Both are good vans. With the Sedona, you have the opportunity to get a better equipped, arguably more comfortable minivan that is newer and has lower mileage, for the same price. You give up the Toyota reputation for quality, which was somewhat stained with the hubbub about oil cooking in the 3.0L V6 engines of the past few years (I don't remember which years specifically).

There's still plenty of warranty on the Sedona; not so the Sienna.

Buying a 2003 for $13,500, you already have avoided the big depreciation hit on the Sedona; the original buyer has taken that hit for you!

In this comparison, several of the reasons that would typically be Sienna advantages have already been nullified.

Personally, I'd buy the Sedona because I think it is more vehicle at the same price. But the Sienna is a quality Toyota vehicle. It might come down to how much of the service history / previous life information is available on each van. That makes a difference to me.

Why are you still not sold on the Sedona? Is it something about this particular van, or just a general reluctance to buy a Kia? If you are still scared about Kia, you probably shouldn't buy one just on a leap of faith. If you conclude that Sedona does NOT represent a roll of the dice, then go for it. Personally, I think the posts on this board the past 3 years have shown the Sedona generally holds up fairly well. Some folks have problems with theirs, but overall Sedona seems to be holding its own vs. other minivans in quality/durability/reliability.
  • ezyone4uezyone4u Member Posts: 5
    may i ask what dealership you are dealing with in b'ham,al? you may also want to consider that this dealer will try to sell you an extended warranty along with this vehicle(the toyota) thus jacking up the price and getting back whatever he thought he was giving away with the price. don't buckle under to pressure you won't get a good deal. do your research and negotiate on price not payment. i looked at the other vans and the prices drove me to look at a loaded sedona with an unmatched warranty in the industry so, i figured it to be a no brainer.
  • rhymexicorhymexico Member Posts: 1
    The third row of seats is not needed in our empty nester household and I am looking for a cargo liner to cover from the back of the second row to the tailgate. They seem to be available for everything except the Sedona. Has anyone found a supplier or have suggestions?
  • rcwiiircwiii Member Posts: 7
    I too am from Birmingham, AL. I have had my 2004 Kia Sedona EX for... oh heck I'm not sure... I think about 6 months now. I bought it from Bill Byrd Kia over by the Galleria. I had what I felt was a good experience with them and compared to some of my other experiences around town with different brands I did not feel nearly as pressured. I have not had any work done on the van outside of 2 oil changes which I have had done for a very reasonable price at the dealership (under 20 bucks and it took about 30 minutes from pulling the lot to pulling out). My wife and I are really enjoying the van so far and it easily accomodates our 3 children.

Feel free to ask me quesitons.
  • twinkletwinkle Member Posts: 1
    Looking for a used van now. any one knows above question?

Thanks,

T
  • grumpyguycdngrumpyguycdn Member Posts: 31
    Hello all,

Just bought a 2005 Sedona EX (500 km on it as I write this). Not knowing the car and never having owned a Kia I have questions I am hoping you as experienced owners can help with:

1) Anyone have a ticking sound from the engine on start? It seems to go away after awhile.

2)At idle and in gear I have two odd sounds that are very noticeable inside the van. One is the alternator (I know it's the alternator because the whine from it changes as I increase and decrease the load on it)and the noise comes from the right side of the engine. The second is a LOUD tranny pump coming from the left side of the engine (again the noise is noticeable when in gear but not in park or neutral). It's a chugging sort of noise.

3) The front suspension makes a "tock tock" sound when going over undulations in the road. Not when I do over real bumps, but something like a wave in the pavement. The car is fine over large bumps, handles well and feels tight otherwise.

4) Did your gas mileage get better after the engine was broken in (I hope)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob
    You can find mats for the sedona at mats4less.com. Husky liner makes custom fit mats for everything but he cargo area and Weatherall (weatherite?) makes a crgo liner for it. They are both sold at the site

rob
  • erikkleinerikklein Member Posts: 50
    Rob, I had the problem with the ticking noise you describe upon startup ... but only after the car sits for at least 4-5 days without starting ... I believe it has something to do with the oil leaving the valvetrain after an extended period of time.
    Thanks Erik thats helpful. One other thing I have noticed is that when I let the car slow down without braking, I can actually feel the car "gearing down" as I would with any manual transmission I drive. Very slight sensation and hardly noticable but strange. I am thinking this may be a result of KIA being a heavy truck manufacturer and actually designing it this way. This also helps explain the very short 1st gear on the vehicle.

It's a pretty "trucky" minivan. Very beefy.

As for the ticking, I will move to synthetic Oil after about 18,000 Kms.

Thanks again

Rob
  • alamid69alamid69 Member Posts: 59
    Does anyone have the part number for the headlight bulb for an '02 Sedona? My bulbs got busted after 54K miles.
    there's really no reason to wait - you can safely switch to synthetic any time. At least that seems to be the current consensus in the automotive community.
    Thanks Blue. I am hesitant to put synthetic in immediately as I would like the engine to seat/break-in completly before I put super slippery stuff in.

Rob
    I know what you are saying and I am definitely not an expert in this area, but knowledgeable folks have been saying over and over on this board for the past few years that a break-in period prior to synthetic switchover just isn't necessary.

If you feel you MUST do this, it seems like you could go 5,000 mi (8,000 km) and that would be enough of a safety margin. Waiting until 18,000 km seems like overkill.
    Thanks again Blue. In fact I think I will do it at the first oil change (5,000 miles). Do you , or did you ever have, a growling sound from the left side of the motor compartment which you can hear in the interior when the van is any gear (but not neutral)?

Rob
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    Rob,

For what it is worth, I've been running Mobil 1 10W30 full synthetic in my 2004 Sedona since 1,000 miles. The engine runs great with it. I've only got 6,000 miles on the van so far, but no problems yet.

- Chad
    well, ours does not idle or run as smoothly now at 46k miles as it did at 20-30k miles. I think it simply needs some new spark plugs and perhaps a new fuel filter and maybe even a fuel injector cleaning.
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    If you use a good brand of gasoline, you probably don't need injectors cleaned, BD. However, if the car idles a lot, you could very well need the plugs. If I remember correctly, there are two different models of plugs which can come with the Sedona. Personally, I won't let them install anything that isn't platinum and 60 or 100K these days.

One thing you could do, if you can tolerate it for another few thousand is to have them do it all at once when you are changing the timing belt. (60k, but I'll do mine at 50-55k)

RE tires: I've run a few thousand on the Nokian WR's now, and REALLY like them. They handle well in water as well as on snow and ice.

I've got steel rims and bought nice looking hubcaps at Target for about $20. They won't last as long as steel, but I can replace them 4x for the cost of a set of steel ones. Will run these on the Sedona during winter and change back to Hankooks/alloys when summer comes.

The slippage sounds like a hard acceleration pull away. The van has enough torque to slip the front wheels if the surface is wet/snowy. I did the same thing my first 2 wks of driving the van on the NJ turnpike coming out of a tollbooth.

No tranny noises here in our 03. I'd get it checked out. Sorry to hear of your troubles. We are happy with ours, and eagerly looking at the '06 changes (although we won't buy until after warantee expires and repair bills mount).
    I was thinking about trying to wait until timing belt needs changing and do 'everything' all at once, but I think we need some of the other stuff sooner than that. Fuel economy has decreased so much that I can't assign all the blame to the winter blend fuel here in Mich. That and the less smooth sound during idle and acceleration, and I'm convinced the work needs doing sooner rather than later.

The fuel injector cleaner of which I speak is actually Chevron Pro Gard, which I understand is a milder (less Techron) version of the well-regarded Chevron Techron. It's < $10 for 4 bottles, so it's no biggie to throw a bottle or 2 every once in a while. Probably doing no harm, and may be doing some good.
    Anybody had your local dealer recommend this? One dealer I called said they recommend it every 30k even though it's not really in the owners manual maintenance schedule. Lady on phone said they see a lot of Sedonas exhibiting problems (I don't remember what) that could have been prevented by repacking wheel bearings.

Seemed unusual to me. My other local dealer, with whom I've done business, has never mentioned it.
    Was at Detroit (aka North American International) Auto Show tonight - supplier preview day, so less busy. Strolled through Kia display. Saw only 1 Sedona - a cloth 2005?! Was hoping for a glimpse of the '06 Sedona but no such luck. Sure seems like Kia would be showing it off, and would have a pre-prod unit ready by now. Maybe I just missed it?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hey Blue, the Mesa and the Rio are supposed to be there but don't know about the Sedonas (link).

A couple of other Edmunds members were at the show and it sounds like you could easily spend 8 hours walking around and still not see everything.

Steve, Host
  • hyundaikiahyundaikia Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 sedona lx with 51k miles. When I first turn on the van and shift into drive and hit the gas and start to move the Brake and Charge Light comes on. The van drives nicely though and when I turn off the car and turn it back on the light is gone but returns when i continue to accelerate again. I went to the dealer and they told me it might be the alternator however the van still runs. Anyone know whats wrong? Both the brake and charge light comes on at the same time. yet the E brake is on engaged.
  • dean5dean5 Member Posts: 5
    1) The ticking noise from the engine is normal. Sometime the fuel injectors can make a ticking noise as the injector is activated. Also the valves can make ticking noises and diminish as the engine gets warmer.

2) I also have a 2005 and the front end makes a noise over small dips in the road almost as if something was loose. I took it to the dealership to have them look at it. I was told that this is normal and that all make this noise. The dealership even went as far as to say that I could pick any van off the lot and test drive if I wanted. This was enough for me although I did take a wrench and got under the vehicle - just top make sure everything was tight and it was. I found after a while you don't even notice it.

3)My gas mileage was low to start but after a few long trips (about 200 miles each) it got much better.
  • micwalkmicwalk Member Posts: 4
    In answer to #4; I have 5000+ miles on our 2005 Sedona and the best mileage I've gotten is 17 on the highway. I'm very disappointed and am having it checked out even as I write this. Perhaps someone out there has better news.
  • micwalkmicwalk Member Posts: 4
    What kind of mileage do you get?
    Dean thanks for the response. The dealer also told me that the noise was normal and I drove a couple of Sedona's to test it out and sure enough it was there. Just part of the characteristics I guess.

Thats good news on the mileage because at the moment mine stinks. I a have litle less than 1K miles on it and combined 50/50 driving I am doing about 15 miles to the gallon.

I also understand that the ticking is due to the oil draining out of the hydraulics. Explained to me by the service manager.

That being said I do have a growling sound coming out of the right side of the engine bay when the car is in gear but not other wise. This is about the only thing that worries me. I also have the loud alternator/steering pump from the left side of the engine bay. I suspect that the growling is the tranny pump.

Great Van though. Very very solid. After having it for two weeks now its obvious that KIA was primarily a large truck and military vehicle manufacturer.

What might also be of interest is that I had noticed the tranny gearing down on long slow gradual stops. If you don't hit the brakes you may feel it too; nothing harsh but you cal feel the brakign happening. According to the dealer this too is normal and freinds of mine that drive trucks also confirm that this is a truck thing.

Thanks

Rob
    Mic that mileage stinks especially after the period of time you have had the van. Are you just doing city driving? Have you been on any long trips? Sorry about it.
  • alamid69alamid69 Member Posts: 59
    I recently had a trip from Dallas to San Antonio, San Antonio to Houston and back to Dallas. Although i did at least 75% highway driving, i was surprised our van did 22mpg. By the way, it already has 57k miles on it.
  • erikkleinerikklein Member Posts: 50
    I have noticed a growling sound coming from under the hood of my 2002 LX when the temperature is extremely cold (< 20 degrees F.) and before the car is warmed up. I do not notice this sound during warmer weather. Also, I noticed increased noise from the power steering in this weather as well. When car warms up, noises go away. Yes, the tranny does gear-down as you slow down. Additionally, you can "give it a hint" that you want a downshift (w/o using the lever) ... if you are traveling on a downhill incline and you depress the brake lightly and hold it for 2 - 3 seconds and then release, approx. 3 seconds later you should get a downshift. I notice this mostly while traveling at highway speeds and braking a few MPHs (not much) ... convenient for controlling speeds on downhills. Erik
    Thanks Erik. I suspected the gearing down was supposed to be there but wasn't sure. Your message was very helpful. I am beginging to think that Kia being a heavy vehilce manufacturer also makes for some interesting and unique cahracteristics with this van.

Thanks again

Rob
    2006 Kia Sedona Midsize Minivan/Van

Talk about in the 2006 Kia Sedona discussion.

Steve, Host
    I was reading the owners manual regarding changing the tranny fluid. It makes no mention of removing the pan and changing the tranny filter. Does the Sedona have a transmission filter?

Rob
    When will we start hearing more details about the 2006 Sedona? That Edmunds preview page has been the same for several months.
    lol, it seemed new to me. They must have rolled the stories over. Try that 2006 Kia Sedona board for other news stories and maybe some spy shot links.

We need more reports from members who hit the Detroit auto show. (PR Newswire).

Steve, Host
  • jbaumannjbaumann Member Posts: 1
    Evening folks... we have a 2004 Sedona EX with 8,500 miles on it. We usually range between 18 city and 23 highway fully loaded with my wife and I and our 3 dogs. I have found in hilly areas that we get less mileage. Flat to regular hill areas 21-23mpg. I have found that I just re-inflated the tires to the appropriate PSI and have increased the mileage. Regular oil changes have always helped too.

We also now have a 2005 Kia Spectra5. Great car for the money and fun to drive! JB.
  • suv_fansuv_fan Member Posts: 24
    I am debating buying an 05 Sedona but after seeing the preview page, I think I'll wait!!! If it will have those "normal" features other minivans currently have... that makes me excited. Plus the lower weight.

I'm really concerned about gas mileage. I drive mostly city and am lucky to get 12 mpg w/my leased 99 Olds Bravada. So to bump up to 16 doesn't seem like that great a deal, esp w/no power sliding door.

I'm glad for these forums, esp when you guys talk about problems and mpg city/hwy!!

Thank you for sharing info :)
  • richardsonrichardson Member Posts: 92
    Arjay1;

I want to give you a big thank you. I used your idea of the zip lock baggie on the sedona oil filter and it worked like a charm. Keep up the good ideas. Jim Richardson
  • ab4ab4 Member Posts: 2
    The steering wheel on my 2002 Sedona turns even after the wheels stop! There is a lot of float with the steering wheel and the van is now at the Kia dealer. The Kia service team insists that this problem did not just happen and that it appears that someone has taken a chisel and opened up the drivetrain and stripped the bolt on the steering column causing this problem. And, because someone has opened it up, this repair will not be covered under the warranty! I know for a fact that there has never been anyone under the van messing with the rack and pinion steering and am extremely frustrated because they are refusing to cover the repair (estimated at $2,000+)

Has anyone had any problems with the steering that remotely resembles those identified here?

Has anyone had any problems with Kia not covering services under the warranty because Kia insisted that the damage was caused by improper maintenance?

Any suggestions on how I might proceed?
  • jennifer8jennifer8 Member Posts: 2
    Hi!

We have been fighting with our Kia dealer (Donnelly Kia in Ottawa, ON). Back in 2003 our windshield cracked (without being hit by anything), like many other 2002 Sedonas with the automatic wipers. We brought it in, in Oct 2003, they ordered the windshield but we needed the car so they said they would call when it was in. My husband had found many others with the same problem on this site (apparently thinner glass was originally installed on that model & they were replacing it with thicker glass once they cracked) and they were going to replace it under warranty. Well, we didn't get around to getting right back when they called to say the windshield was in - we didn't have another reliable vehicle, my husband needed the van to go to work & I was busy with the farm, etc, then the dealership moved to a further location. We finally got in last month & now they won't replace it, calling it a "stone chip". Well, there is a small chip but from the other accounts it sounds like this is what happens when the glass buckles.

They also charged us for flushing the transmission as we had not done so according to the "instructions." The van had been sluggish going to 2nd gear, revving too high. Mileage under 70,000 km. They wouldn't cover it.

My mom also bought one (2003 or 2004) & has not been happy with the service.

Good luck!

Jennifer
  • sshakersshaker Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    Are there any differences in sedona Ex 2005 comparing to 2004? I have an option of buying either 2004 (new) or 2005 (new) .. with a $2000 difference. I appreciate if somebody can help me in deciding on this.

regards
    shaker
  • sshakersshaker Member Posts: 2
    Hi craigmri
    can u pl give some details on how the dealer arrived at 16000? i am planning to buy a 2004 EX (in Feb 2005!!) and what will be a deal or reasonable price ?

regards
    shaker
  • simple_mansimple_man Member Posts: 1
    Hey sshaker,

I just purchased my 2004 EX for $19,700 which was part of the $5,000 incentive they had going. Love it so far... Only 400 miles on it..
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    How come all the sites only show $3k? Anybody know?
    Perhaps the rebates vary by region? I saw on TV that in Florida the rebate is currently $5000.

Amazing prices to be had considering thats before you even negotiate at the dealer.

Think about it....you can get a fully loaded to the max Sedona for a little more than a nice Ford Focus.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    I'm in the Pacific Northwest. I saw the TV ad too which is why I was puzzled. Oh well, maybe the sites are not updated yet.