Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona (2005 and Earlier)

jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
Kia will be releasing their Sedona Mini-Van in the US in 2001. It's aproximately 192" long and they are dropping a big 3.5 litre V6 in it for the US market. It's been in Europe with a 2.5 litre V6 for about a year. Good design, good value, some typical Kia quality issues.

Comments

• donleungdonleung Member Posts: 22
    For anyone who is interested:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/010404-1.htm

• jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    See http://popularmechanics.com/perl/spy_fetch.pl?cat=asia . They've raised the hood to

fit the 3.5 litre V6. It's of Hyundai/Mitsubishi origin and the tranny is a 5-speed auto.
  • alexjr1alexjr1 Member Posts: 19
    I saw it at the New York auto show fully loaded it costs around 22,000.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    2002 Kia Sedona

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Another article about the '02 Kia Sedona:

http://www.speedvision.com/pub/articles/automotive/01CNews/010429c.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • gudanovgudanov Member Posts: 4
    Any clues as to what the price point will be on this thing? I like what I've read, but it's hard to compare without a price.
    Our Future Telling section still claims it'll debut at around $20,000 US.

link

Steve
    Host

• toddrphtoddrph Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Does anyone know specific dates of availability of the Kia Sedona?

Also, does anyone know of crash test results of the Sedona or any other Kia? Crash tests are not talked about alot for this manufacturer......
    Thanks.
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    The first Sedonas were supposed to be on their way to the U.S. on a boat a month or so ago.

If Kia has hopes, it had better turn in decent crash test ratings - the new Optima (aka Hyundai Sonata) has done OK, but most other Kias are pretty dismal when it comes to crashworthiness.
  • enviromanenviroman Member Posts: 13
    Looked at Kia sales stats for last month and they show approximately 650 Sedona's being sold. Apparently, they are available in some parts of the country. I am in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area and local dealers are saying late August or early September.
    I had my first sighting today. Saw one with plates on the road in San Jose California. The local dealers must have them. It looked good, relatively clean styling.
  • coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    That it look A LOT like a ford windstar?
  • DTKWOKDTKWOK Member Posts: 131
    Unfortunately it does, at least the current generation looks a little better. For KIA's sake, hope that their crash ratings are just as good.
    "Kia's first minivan will be the lowest priced van in America when it goes on sale in August."

Please see the First Drive review linked in the Additional Resources box on the left navigation bar.

Steve
    Host

• ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    According to AutoWeek, the Sedona weighs about 4,700 lbs - 400 to 800 lbs more than the competition.
  • alexjr1alexjr1 Member Posts: 19
    I saw a lot of them in a holding lot before they get shipped to their destinations in New York. At first i thought they were a bunch of Windstars than I was on my way than turned around and said those arent Windstars. They look great about the same size as the Sienna. There are two models the lx and ex the same thing as the Odyessey. When i heard it had a 3500cc engine I thought it the horsepower would be at least 220 seeing how small it is. According to magazines the horse power is around 185. I guess the engine will be refined over the years.
  • jjburakjjburak Member Posts: 2
    I had a chance to drive the top of the line Sedona in Delaware on July 21. This van has attractive styling. The gearsift on the center console was a little odd. The van drive really nice, great power in the engine. The van was MSRP around $23,000 which had every option you could get in it. (EX: dual AC and heat vents, leather seats, power sun roof, Alloy wheels. Darn, no fold away seats 8-(. I am really excited about this van after what I saw. I am waiting for the lower-end model starting around ($18000) since I do not want the leather seats of the captains chairs in the 2nd row. I really hope this van does some damage to the competitors.
  • buyerbewarebuyerbeware Member Posts: 1
    Found two Sedonas in Joliet, Illinois. Test Drove both of them. One was completely loaded
    with all available options. Drove well. Ran it up on the expressway. Wind noise was not to bad.
    Dealer said they are introducing them with 0.9 financing for 60 months. Dealer would not talk
    any discounts off sticker. The Sodena EX we drove listed at $24,000.00. Leather, Roof Rack,
    two tone paint, moon roof, power driver and passenger seats, the works. Was impressed with all the options that it came with for the price.
  • jondotjondot Member Posts: 63
    marklj, thanks for the link to the Kia Parts catalog! I brought up the Home page and found how to establish an ordering chart by VIN and vehicle details. If you want to establish your own page just go to the url below and have at it. http://www.kiausaparts.com/vin/vin.asp
  • bluewindsbluewinds Member Posts: 100
    I like the styling of Sedona.

You can watch Kia Sedona movie file.

Find the Kia Sedona.

http://myhome.naver.com/mildbreeze/menu2.html

• rvicknairrvicknair Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone purchased a new Kia Sedona? If so, how did the pricing/negotiating go?
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    I got to check out a Sedona on Sunday at a local dealer who happened to leave the van unlocked. My first reaction to the fake wood grain dashboard and chrome trim parts, as well as the shifter was not too enthusiastic. But it seemed to grow on me as I sat in every seat and played with all the mechanical options. This van had the 2nd row captain chairs that I so desparately want to keep the kids separated! I like the mechanical sliding doors - I'd rather have them then the automatic ones. I also like being to take out the seating components easily because they are light. The benches in my Windstar give me a hernia each time I take them out.

I read the Kia website spec and it states that the Sedona can tow 3500 lbs. It mentions no trailer towing package as an option, so I'm assuming it pulls 3500 lbs with no add-ons. But I don't know what the gross combined vehicle weight limit is for the van. This is a concern, because the van is 600-700 lbs heavier than my Windstar.

Can anybody tell me why this medium-sized minivan is so heavy? Does anyone else intend to use the Sedona to tow a camper or boat?
  • rdnmburdirdnmburdi Member Posts: 5
    I first saw it two weeks ago as it blew by me while i was on vacation. I wasn't sure which one it was (so many minivans) so i sped up. When i saw it was a Kia, I had to find out all I could. My local dealer got four in last week. 2 were lx's and 2 were ex's. I was definitely impressed. Like midlifecrisis, the wood grain and chrome threw me, but it grew on me fast. All seating positions were easy for me to get in unlike the sienna (but I am only 5'6") very comfortable. They were asking 23200 with leather, sunroof, and two tone paint. If i was in the market right now, bye bye caravan (piece of junk). I was also surprised by the full size spare with matching alloy rim in back. I am definitely looking forward to a test drive but waiting also for the crash test results. As far as weight, two possibilities for some of it is the larger engine and 5 speed, them in themselves can add some weight. May some also be from the side impact beams (heavier duty?). I can't find any specs yet to prove or disapprove this. Overall, the weight is probably from alot of little changes to make this a better vehicle than the others it used for templates (rivals).
    All vehicles have to meet certain government side impact standards, and as such, all have side impact doors beams.

Drew
    Host
    I know about the gov standards on the side impact beams, I never said nor would I say that there were not any, but that there is a minimum standard for those type of beams, the manufacture can go heavier (stronger) which could account for some of the weight (as saturn did for example). I made no other implications with that statement nor should any other be drawn.
    If anyone is still looking in this forum, does anyone know when the gov is planning to do the crash test on the sedona? I am considering this vehicle and this is one test i am really waiting for. thanx
  • smahlesmahle Member Posts: 14
    I just worked out a deal on the new Sedona. I am getting rid of my 99 Venture which is in the shop constantly. I test drove the Sedona and what an improvement over the Venture. With all the options, it is well over 7k savings over the Venture. It drives and handles better than my old van and feels very solid. I talked $500 off the asking price which is about the best you can do since they are priced close to cost.. The four vans I looked at were already sold and they won't get more until the end of the month. Can't beat the low interest and warranty. Even my Chevy guy said it is the best deal on the market. Good luck finding one.
  • ckmccoy5ckmccoy5 Member Posts: 24
    deal did you get and on what model? What options were included and what did you add? Can you give us some numbers - trade-in, price, discount, tax etc...??
  • mcperrmcperr Member Posts: 74
    We picked up our EX Leather on 8/13/01 and have been enjoying it greatly ever since. We compared lifetime costs between lease-return 2000 Detroit vans, new vans at 0% financing and the 2002 Kias, which have 5.9%/60 mo financing in Canada. When we calculated total payments for each plus downpayment less expected resale in 5 yrs the new Kias came out substantially cheaper than a new domestic van and very close to the (almost 2-yr old) lease returns. No contest, even allowing for greater rates of depreciation for the Kia.

Likes/Dislikes so Far:
    the power of the van is very good. Close to the Windstar level and far more powerful than the 3.3L Dodge. The low ratios of the first couple of gears of the 5-speed probably helps in this regard. I am not sure where the Edmunds reviewer found a lack of power.

Fit/Finish in this van is very good. Certainly on par with domestic vans, Honda or otherwise.
    Handling is also quite enjoyable, with much more feel than the Ford and less body roll than the Dodge.

This van has so many features that the salesman knew nothing about that every trip is a voyage of discovery. It doesn't help that the manual is a sometimes obtuse Korean translation. They certainly try, though. This is the most comprehensive manual that I have seen with a new vehicle in a long while.

Does anyone know if the Canadian versions of the EX have Auto-On headlights? The dealer manager also said that the leather driver's seat is heated. If so, I cannot find the switch for it.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    I live right behind a Kia dealer in Plano, TX. They had about six Sedonas and now they have one. To me they look like half Windstar, half Odyssey. Only trouble I thought of was getting into the third seat, there was little space between the captain's chairs and they didn't move too far forward to go behind them. But I'm fat, so maybe it's just me! LOL!!! Gearshifts on the dash are common in Japanese and European wagons and vans, saves floor space and doesn't complicate the steering column, gives you more stomach room. Obviously important for me. I think they'd make a great taxi, wonder if the mileage would be good with such a big engine, and did someone say it weighs 4700 lbs? Didn't 1975 Caprices weigh 4700 lbs?
    We put about 700 km on our van last weekend and averaged just under 30 mpg (Cdn gallon) with about 85% highway. I expect it to do mid 30's when the enging loosens up a bit. This converts to about 24.9 mpg (US) observed and about 29 mpg US expected. Enough for me.

Will verify the weight of the thing as soon as I can get it on a weighscale. It certainly does not feel like 4700lbs.

BTW, the exterior dimensions of the Sedona are almost exactly those of the Sienna.
  • rpostrpost Member Posts: 1
    I really need to see the results of a crash test
    and where can i get a review that is unbiased about
    this Sedona? Should I buy or GO to Sedona?
    The van is far too new to be crash tested by the IIHS or the NHTSA. You will have to wait a while for this or take a chance. All reviews are "biased" to a certain extent, so it will be difficult if not impossible to find a completely objective review.
    All Canadian vehicles have daytime running lights (which don't necessarily turn on the rear lamps), but I'm not sure about the auto-on headlamps. Let us know if you find out more on this.

Drew
    Host
  • dusterduster Member Posts: 37
    Just today! the MSRP is now $18,995 yesterday
    it was $18,495. Check the website and Kelly's.
    I guess Kia felt people won't notice or care.
    Just took delivery on a silver EX with leather added. The dealer is having a tough time getting vans in due to the delivery strike. All the vans have been sold once they hit the lot. Most have been coming minus anti-lock brakes. The van I took did not have leather but the dealer agreed to put leather in for the factory cost. I traded a 1999 Venture van with 35,000 miles. The van was junk compared to this van. I traded for a difference of $12,000 and financed at 1.9%. I did get them to take $500 dollars off the sticker and offer a bit over book for the Venture. The dealers know they've a good thing with these vans and they won't haggle much. I have a friend who works at the dealership and that might have helped some. They have been selling the other vans (so they say) at sticker. Only thing I've noticed is the loud air conditioning compressor when it kicks in. I wish this van was around 3 years ago when I made a major mistake with the Venture. Total cost with leather,mud flaps, EX style, $22,200
  • dreadedrummerdreadedrummer Member Posts: 20
    My one concern with the Sedona is that Hyundai decided not to release it as a Hyundai also (as they had originally discussed). I find myself wondering if they have some concerns with it and are more willing to let Kia take the first year bugs and any fallout which may occur. For various reasons I trust Hyundai's more than Kia's so I feel that this is a valid concern. I'm not planning on replacing my '89 Caravan any sooner than I have to, so I'll probably wait a year or two and just watch this vehicle and see how it holds up. I have to say though, so far it has favorably impressed my wife and myself. Both the looks and the options (not to mention the warranty) have definitely caught our eyes.
  • yzfyzf Member Posts: 65
    The Kia Sedona looks nice, but isn't quite up to what the others have yet. Specifically, the Kia Sedona doesn't have power sliding doors (even as an option) while the rest of the competition is going towards dual power sliding (DCAG has moved even beyond that with power rear hatch). The Sedona also lacks the optional entertainment systems that seem to be more and more popular these days as well - especially for families with small children. Another feature that more and more of the competition is moving towards is the fold-away rear seat - be it fold flat (i.e., GM) or hideaway (i.e., Honda, Mazda). No side airbags, no standard ABS. So overall, while the Kia appears to be a decent minivan for the price, keep in mind that the competition costs more because you get more. If all you need is what the Sedona offers - then its probably a pretty good choice (even if it is a Kia). Otherwise, I still prefer the choice of options and standard features on the competition.

One more thing, I notice that the Kia website lists comparisons to other minivans. After researching all the minivans prior to a purchase earlier this year, I can say that Kia's comparisons are misleading in many respects (i.e., listing towing capacity of competitors' base models compared to the Sedona without mention of optional tow packages that make the minivans truly comparable) and outright false in others (i.e., claims of no tach available on GM vans when the are, in fact, standard).
    I, for one, am thankful that Kia did not attempt to design a hide-away rear seat for the Sedona until the technology matures. The Mazda rear seat folds easily but is thin and very uncomfortable. The Honda seat is more comfortable but requires two men and a small boy to fold it down as it is quite heavy. The Kia rear seats are as comfortable as the mid seats and as a bonus remove individually. They are thus relatively light and if you only need seating for one person in the back, one can be removed for storage, as we usually do.
    Any more feedback from the New Sedona Owners on MPG? The EPA mileage on the Sedona is not good - 15/20. Along with the Eurovan it is "bottom of the class" with Eurovan wearing a dunce cap because it uses Premium to boot. Not too surprising considering the hefty weight. I am surprised someone reports considerably above highway mileage of 20MPG. Of course, the low sticker price will go toward a lot of free trips to the gas station.
    P.S.
    *Power sliders are a detriment in my opinion and a major source of problems on the Odyssey.
    *The shifter on the floor is really cool.
    *I think the weight of 4700+ is for real and reported in several different sources. Maybe this will translate into good crash results.
    Hey yzf, I do agree that the web site is a bit misleading, but feature for feature this van is a much better buy. I had my local Chevy salesman price out the features of the Kia to an extended Venture. Even when I added anti-lock brakes to the cost of the Kia the comparison was not even close. A Venture was priced around 29k. The power doors are not a real problem for the Kia. My 6 year old can open and close the doors with little effort. That is something she could not do on the Windstar or Venture. The rear seats are more comfortable than any van I've ever sat in even if they don't fold down. Time will tell with this van, but with the luck I've had with domestic vans this one is off to a great start.
    On the first tank I came out around 16 mpg. Most of the driving was in town. I think it will pull around 24/25 when loose.
    Actually the Sedona has been selling in Europe for almost a year so it is not quite a brand new car. You can do an internet search and come up with many road tests on the European versions. The differences are that the European Sedona's come with Turbo Diesels and are also available with a smaller V6 gas engine. The US version has a different hood to fit the big 3.5.
    Hyundai already has their Trajet van selling worldwide (except North America) and it is a little smaller than the Sedona so Kia/Hyundai wisely decided to go with the bigger more powerful
    Kia Sedona for the North American market and even pumped up the engine for us power-hungry Americans.
  • rtz777rtz777 Member Posts: 1
    When I has removing the rear seat headrest the clip that holds the headrest poles in place broke in my hand. Is this a sign of things to come?! I hope not...
  • jlngwrjlngwr Member Posts: 51
    We were looking for a new van, our 95 Caravan with 70K miles was needing way too many repairs. Since this was our second bad Chrysler we looked elsewhere this time. Looking at used vans with low miles were priced in the low 20's. I think the Sedona is a real buy - I don't want or need automatic doors (would rather not have them on the windows, but alas...). I don't need a CD player or video. It has great pickup and power and the brakes are much more responsive than the Caravan or Voyager I've had. I got it for $600 under the MSRP (incl destination), but I can tell the dealer wasn't happy - he belatedly realized how hot this car was. So he tried to make it up in the trade, but I held firm. With the 1.9% financing, it was a deal I couldn't refuse. It takes regular, not premium gas (it's in the manual). Yes, I'm concerned about crash tests too. But results aren't in for many other cars on the road as well. I haven't had the car very long, so can't say how the mpg is. The interior comfort is wonderful (I have the LX). The kids say it's the most comfortable car we've ever had. The power ports throughout the car are great for the kids to listen to their walkmans or personal CD players. We felt a little pressured to buy this car only because it was the only one in a 100 mile radius and just plain lucky to be in the right place at the right time. We knew it would be gone the following day if we didn't decide on it. I've heard from several dealers they have no idea when the next shipment is coming - and I bet the price will be up. Price was very important for us. Yes, it's an untried vehicle, but with their warranties, it must be at least as good as domestic or Kia will go broke.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    Of course Kia compares its 3500 lb tow rating against the competition without a trailer package. Have you tried to find a minivan with a trailer package on a dealer's lot? It is nearly impossible. I've gone to Chevy and Ford dealers with hundreds of minivans and not a one with a trailer package. And all the components of a trailer package cannot be added by the dealer. Who wants to order a minivan and wait months for it to come in?

I'm trying to find out what the Sedona's Gross Combined Vehicle Weight rating is. Given the 4700 lb van weight, this is of concern for me in pulling my 2400 lb camper. I emailed Kia but they only responded with the Gross Vehicle Weight of the van. These weights were broken down into a G and a GL grade, which makes no sense to me. Anybody know where I could get more detailed trailering info on the Sedona? I can't really consider the van until I know what it's rated at for warranty purposes.
    Lowest priced minivan still a nice ride

Steve
    Host

• dplachtadplachta Member Posts: 109
    Van sounds decent and a bargain, with an outstanding warranty.

How is Kia's financial situation-- as bad as Dewaeo? Haven't heard much.
  • yzfyzf Member Posts: 65
    If you can't find a GM with a tow package - perhaps your area dealers didn't order enough or you're looking at the wrong GM? For whatever reason, GM seemed to equip almost all the Olds Silo's with tow packages. The Ventures and Montanas got some - but not nearly as many.

Also, some may have misconstrued my earlier posts. I noted the Kia seemed to be offering a nice minivan (first sentence). My skepticsm stemmed from their lack of standard or optional features that almost appear as industry standards (i.e., power doors, VCP, stowable seats etc.). As a result, it seemed to me that Kia had a ways to go.

FWIW, I admire Kia for entering the minivan foray. With Hyundai's ownership and strong warranty behind them, they will probably do well. They just don't offer quite the right configuration for MY personal tastes. Perhaps as they improve the Sedona, I'd take another look - but that's just my personal preference.
  • volfyvolfy Member Posts: 274
    If you're gonna tow 2400lbs, you'd better off with a RWD van. These FWD minivans do not make good tow vehicles.

Being a current Hyundai Sonata owner and knowing what great values these latest Korean cars can be, I had high hopes for the Sedona. But alas no third row fold-into-floor seat. I simply will not buy a minivan without it. Having to remove the third row seat is just a pain in the butt. What happens if you need extra cargo capacity 1000 miles away from home? Are you gonna leave your third row seats at DisneyWorld just so you can haul that 6' tall stuffed Bugs Bunny home?

I could care less about power sliding doors - they add weight and are trouble prone. That disappearing third row, however, is an absolute must.