Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Wagons (C240 & C320)

pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
Here is the new place to discuss the Mercedes-Benz C320 Wagon.

Thanks for your participation.

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

Comments

• pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmunds' auto show coverage: 2002 Mercedes-Benz C320 Wagon. What do you think?

Happy Motoring!

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

• mersonmerson Member Posts: 7
    Hello

I am looking for the exterior/interior dimensions of this car. Does anyone know this information?

I have found more pictures at the following links

1. http://www.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars/c-class-t/default.htm - This link has information about the new c-class wagon but the dimensions are listed with a background picture of the c-class wagon that is not being sold here in the US.

2. http://www.mbenz.com/future/c320w-02.html

3. http://mbspy.bacosys.be/s203.htm - This site has not been working for the last couple of days. Maybe it will come back.

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

• thegeneraltsothegeneraltso Member Posts: 25
    c320 wagon .. length 178.8, wheelbase 106.9, width 68.0, height 57.7, track f/r 58.8/57.6,
    curb wgt 3560, drag 0.32, trunk 16.6 up/48.9 down, fuel tank 16.4/2.1 reserve, 0-60 7.8 sec,
    top spd 150mph, fuel mileage 21, price 38.000. this info is from mbca club magazine.

same engine as the one in the e320 wagon... mean that the c should be a hoot to drive. it also said the hatch is sweeped back so much that a rear wiper is not even needed.
    No, there's still a rear wiper :-) The 4-matic (AWD) version will be released in late fall of 2002, as a MY2003 model.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    The C-Class wagon cargo area seems a bit small 16.6 cubic feet compared to the BMW 3 Series Wagon 26 cubic feet and the Volvo V40 33 cubic feet.

The C-Class wagon is longer than the others. I wonder if there is more legroom in the C-Class. Maybe that is where the extra space is.

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Is anyone seriously considering buying this car or is it too small and too expensive?
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    merson, to answer yor questions, Yes, no, probably. I think it''s the right size but a little pricey for this size vehicle.
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    A dealer in my area has two (2) new wagons as of today. Base price is $38,450 w/o destination.

Here is a link for the 02 ordering guide for the C class for those that want option pricing:

http://content.communities.msn.com/CLKOwnersDiscussion/PhotoAlbums?Page=5

• fredtwdfredtwd Member Posts: 25
    I finally got to siit in one at the dealership. When I folded down the rear seats, I could no longer put the drivers seat back far enough to fit into the car (I'm 6' 4").

So it looks like a C320 wagon is a no go for me :-(

Robert
    The '01 C-class wagon wins the '01 Eyes on Design award:

http://www.cardesignnews.com/events/detroit2001/eyesondesign/awards04.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • glxwagon4moglxwagon4mo Member Posts: 121
    I happen to notice what looked like the C320 wagon sitting in our local MB dealers showroom as I drove by the other day. I finally stopped in to take a look on my way home from work, and sure enough it a silver C320 wagon! (they also had several of the coupes on the floor as well).

IMHO,I certainly like the lines of the car. Its a beautiful piece of machinery that probably will remain unique among the endless sea of SUV on the road these days. The back is sloped quite a bit, but this helps to give it a sleek look and avoid the typical SW look. The down side, however, is that this compromises the cargo space. I thought the fit and finish of the car was excellent. The interior material also seemed "MB" grade and felt great. I didn't take it out for a drive (it was rush hour). But, as I was sitting behind the wheel, and having noticed the $43K sticker price for, I thought about the other competitors in this market. Both the BMW and Audi offer wagons (325 and A4/S4) for much less than the C320. Yes the MB seems exudes luxury, but the interior of the A4 (IMHO) is just as nice. Want sporty...an S4 similarly equipped is less than the C320 by a few grand.

So..is it worth it? That's up to you to decide. For me, probably not because of the other alternatives. But its certainly a nice addition to the luxury SW market.

George
  • carmitchcarmitch Member Posts: 3
    George, I think if you option out the BMW 3-series wagon (or even the Audi wagons) in a similar fashion to the MB 320 wagon, you will find that the MB is actually pretty price competitive.

All of the German car companies seem to try to keep their base prices down and then "nickel and dime" you to death with options that are--to a large extent--almost mandatory in this price range etc.

Cheers,
    Mitch
  • glxwagon4moglxwagon4mo Member Posts: 121
    but if you look at the "basic essentials" (leather, sunroof, heated seats, xenon), the MB runs about $5K more (MSRP) compared to the others. The A4 is somewhat of an "unfair" comparo since the current model is in its last year, so one is bound to get more of a discount compared the the other two.

You are right though about nickel and diming one to death with the "options". The problem is that MB does that too but the base price starts at ~39 K!
    Realistically though, most people who shop in this price range will most likely be swayed by some other factor other than the price of one vs the other ..ie handling, name/image, etc. Just my $ 0.02

George
  • genghis721genghis721 Member Posts: 53
    I was told that they were not going to add a 4Maitc version the c for several years.
  • jjmcgjjmcg Member Posts: 2
    The cost aside, if the c-class wagon arrives with 4-matic and the sports package (in Canada anyway), then it becomes a prettyl desirable automobile.
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    I own a 99 Passat, 2001 Dodge GC and 99 Bravada.
    Living in NY, I swore I would never own another
    RWD car again (except for my 1960 Chrysler New Yorker, which does not go out in the winter).

The C320 wagon is a really sharp car, and I am considering it for when my Bravada lease is up in March. I need some advice from those of you who might have experience with Mercedes ESC and TC in the snow ... will I go?

Mercedes salesman says he will put the C320 up against any fwd car in the world (what would you expect him to say?) He promised to let me test drive one on the next snowy day we have. Still, I would love to get some real-life advice from any of you familiar with these systems. Thanks.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Buy 4 snow tires on seperate rims for winter. Then you will go up against any 4wd car in the world (and blow them away in braking). You will save your nice alloys from road salt, and your summer tires will last longer. Win-win situation. You can't beat it for $4-600 depending on size.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    But to be fair re: your "and low them away in braking" comment, wouldn't the AWD vehicle have snow tires too? I seriously doubt the C320 w/snows could match the braking performance of my WRX wagon w/snows! You a funny man! :-)

Stephen
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Of course if the AWD car had snow tires it would be better overall in the snow than the benz. AWD cars do not come with snows, and most people do not put them on because the car goes (but not necessarily stops) very well without them. I hope you are one of the smart ones that does use snows if you life in a climate that requires them.

The WRX would have no advantage in braking on snow or ice over the Mercedes or any other car that had the same tires - in fact it might do worse since its tires are relatively wide, which is generally not as good as a narrow tire in the snow. The limiting factor for braking on low friction surfaces is tire grip not the brakes - or engine braking.

I don't quite understand your last sentance - a verb might help. ;^)
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    But thanks for the grammetical correction. Most of the informed AWD owners who drive their vehicles in snow conditions put winter tires on their vehicles. My point was that winter tires benefit both RWD and AWD vehicles and too be fair, you need to compare both as such.
    Hope this clears it up for you. :-)

Stephen
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Check out the Edmund's Spin Around Town: 2002 Mercedes-Benz C320 Sport Wagon, by Liz Kim. What do you think?

Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Nice Picture! I'm more of a follower of the E-class wagon, but the C-class wagon is also a beautiful machine. I certainly would not turn it down if someone offered to give me one! :-)

- Paul_P
    A reporter is trying to find consumers who've traded up from mass-market brands (e.g. Toyota, Chevy, Ford, etc.) to luxury nameplates. He says, "I'm not looking for lottery winners, just regular folks who wanted more car."

If you have a story to share, please send it to Edmunds' PR director: jfallon@edmunds.com. It is helpful for you to include your e-mail, phone number and city/state of residence when you respond. Deadline for submission on this one is March 6. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • stumeisterstumeister Member Posts: 10
    why don't they offer the wagon with the base 2.6L engine (ie they only offer it with the 3.2L). That 3.2 engine adds thousands of dollars to the price of the car (wagon) and pushes it out of my range.
  • shoppinginsfshoppinginsf Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know the internal dimensions of the cargo area? I need the cargo area to fit a dog travel crate that measures 26" W X 28.5" H X 38" L. This was an absolute no-go in the Audi A4 wagon, and a very tight squeeze in the A6 wagon. It fits in the Passat wagon but I am not 100% comfortable with VW reliability. TIA.
  • evgenyevgeny Member Posts: 7
    There is certainly not much activity around here...Anyway I got my MB C-320 two days ago and still keep walking around, trying to figure out what to do with it... It comes with a 400 pages manual. I paid 36,300 with C2 package, silver metallic color... I think it's a good deal. Looks gorgeous and drives like a dream. Let's see how it holds up!
    and thanks for sharing the details. Sounds really nice, btw. We look forward to hearing more.... Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
    I would very much like to know what gas mileage does everybody get. So far I am at a level of 20 mpg mixed driving, I realize that is's going to improve as I only have 400 miles on my new car. Any input would be appreciated!
    Hello? Anybody?
    I don't own an MB wagon, but do read the posts here from time to time in case I ever do buy one.

- Paul
  • whoughwhough Member Posts: 4
    Do the rear seats fold down completely flat? Some of the smaller wagons the rear seats do not flatten out so the rear space isn't that usable.
    Yes, they fold flat, and very easely.
    Evidently, I'm talking to myself here, I'm the only person in the whole world who bought that thing. Nonetheless, I am reporting to myself, that I've had my silver MB C320 Wagon for three months now and enjoyed its smoothness, agility, quietness and convenience enormously. Life is very good indeed inside this car. A/C is a little too loud though, but works very good. So far no problems whatsoever. Gas mileage- well, could be better. I am getting 20-21 mpg in mixed driving, probably it's going to improve. I have 2600 miles on my odometer... Too bad there is no CD player... I couldn't squeeze 900 bucks for the changer out of myself, besides, I like the size of the glove box and would hate to put CD changer in there.
    Anyway the car is great.
  • stumeisterstumeister Member Posts: 10
    thx for the review. sounds like you got a deal. The C wagons in colo spgs all have stickers of $42 ish. I think they are a great looking wagon.

Does MB offer the wagon with the smaller engine in 2003?
  • soylentsoylent Member Posts: 25
    I have approx 8g on the speedo of our 2003 sport wagon. 1st time MB owner. No complaints so far. My Dealership Copland Motors has been outstanding.. My wife heard that they have brunch available on Saturdays for the ladies, while they wait for their complimentary car wash; that sold my wife. the Highlander Limited/MDX we were considering got kicked to the curb. As far as being lonely out on the freeways,I have seen one other on the road here in LA. Kinda nice for a change.
    The only week point of course is the Bose sound system. So evgeny, be glad you didn't fork out for the cd changer, it wouldn't enhance the sound at all.

stumeister - i have heard current incentive for sport wagon runs around 3000 for 2002. most wagons i saw had sunroof/rain sensor as the only add on, priced @ 38-39K. shop around.
    Hello evgeny,

I appreciate your posting here - though I do not own an MB wagon, I find it interesting to hear how your ownership experience is progressing. If I have a larger family someday I may buy an MB wagon, as I think they are beautiful cars.

Thanks for the update!

- Paul
    I've paid 36,300 for my C- wagon in Georgia at the end of May, the sticker was 41,000. The add-ons were sunroof and rain sensor (C2 package). Speaking of Bose system. I love the sound... and being a musician, I'm very picky in that respect, it's just a pity that CD player isn't standard. Haven't had a chance to experience my diler's hospitality...yet... thank God, nothing has gone wrong yet. I don't see many of these babies on the roads either, which feels really good.
    Yes - I also live in Georgia, for the time being, and my dealer is RBM of Atlanta. They have always been good to deal with over the last 4 years

Unfortunately I will be moving from the area this fall, but in New England I know of place that used to be excellent when I lived there before - Holloway Motors of Manchester, New Hampshire. Also no sales tax in that state.

Hope you are enjoying your C wagon!

- Paul
  • vlad13vlad13 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everybody.
    I am looking for the best price for 2003 C320 wagon, relative to invoice or in absolute numbers.
    I am in San Diego, CA. I found info on dealer invoice ($34,131), and I know that auto transmission is now a $1,325 option.
    Please share your experience. TIA.
  • newmbfannewmbfan Member Posts: 59
    I traded my 2001 C240 for a 2002 C320 about 3 months ago. We endured all the 1st year woes that have been reported in the past and I can not believe I bought another MB.

Having said that, we really enjoy the new wagon. More room, WAYYYYYYYYYY more power and only 1 issue so far. I had an error code that the BAS/ESP was inoperative. This would reset every time I turned the car off but would usually dome back on after a few miles. I took the car in and the dealer said that there was a corrosion problem and that MB would have a fix out shortly. They cleaned up some contact points and sent me on my way. About 2 weeks later the service writer (consultant) called and asked us to bring the car for the retrofit. That was a month ago and no problems since.

6500 miles, 22-24 MPG and enjoying the car.

I did add a Yakima Roof rack for hauling the bikes. Very good unit and about $150.00 cheaper that MB rack.
    and thanks for your notes. We look forward to hearing more about your C320 experience.... Happy motoring!

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards

That's a pretty good mileage you're getting, I guess you do more of highway driving, right? On short trips, I only get 16-18. BTW, how much did you pay for the car?
  • newmbfannewmbfan Member Posts: 59
    I traded a 2001 c240 for the 2002 c320 wagon. I think I traded for about $12K
  • seasideclubseasideclub Member Posts: 4
    Does the C320 wagon have a hand-brake or is it foot operated? Kinda makes it hard to start on a hill if it was foot operated on a 6-speed. 'Course, I could go see it for myself...

BTW, vlad13 message 47, go to Caliber Motors in Anaheim or the web. They have loaners for sale and some are wagons. Their price is quite attractive. I'm very temped to do just that.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    but our c240 auto sedan has a foot operated handbrake.
    To all MB C-Class wagon owners - If you've just found your way into this discussion, please take a moment to share some details about your Mercedes-Benz ownership experience. If you'd like, you can list your:

1. Model Year & Total miles to date.

2. MPG & Driving habits.

3. Maintenance issues to date.

4. Overall impressions pro/cons of your vehicle since you first purchased....

Share as much (or as little) information as you'd like. I'm sure other owners/shoppers passing through here, would find the information quite interesting, if not helpful. Thanks for your participation!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards