Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    You need a spanner wrench to hold the water pump pulley. You might be able to go to an auto parts store and have them take a look to loan you the right tool.
    Different engines and years work differently so I'd take my advice with a grain of salt and see if you can get some advice from an auto parts store.
  • edb007thedb007th Member Posts: 1
    Hey all...
    I could use a little help here... I have a 96 GC Laredo w/120,000 on a 4.0. Whenever I turn on the A/C or Heat I get a smell comparable to a still day in a barnyard. Its not even possible to remain in the vehicle with it on. Theres nothing in the intake under the cowl, thats clean. ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks! :cry:
  • 05posgc05posgc Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same exact problem with my 2005 GC. Although I do not have a Hemi, I have the V6. This problem also happens when I'm making a rolling turn and go to re-accelerate the RPM's drop and it feel as though it should be in a lower gear. I was told by the dealer its because the Jeep is a equipped with a double over drive..... which personally I think is a bunch of crap. I'm also having a problem with the ventilation system.....You?
  • bigdogvtbigdogvt Member Posts: 2
    My wife has a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and several weeks ago she noticed when she had the air conditioner on just a little air was coming out of the vents. We took it to Goodyear and they said it needed a new heater motor. After they installed it the air worked for a little bit and then stopped. They said that maybe they got a bad motor and put another one in. They ran the air and it worked fine. My wife picked the jeep up and ran it for about 30 minutes and the air flow stopped again. Can someone please help?
  • my1yeepmy1yeep Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Help would be great!
    Thanks - Sara:)
  • creakycreaky Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 Grand Cherokee Special Edition 2 WD 4.0, just had the tires changed at 48,000, Kuhmo AT's replaced the Wrangler S/T's. Almost immediately I started to have wheel hop problems when I accelerated (modest), on the right rear drive tire. I took the car back to the tire dealer and he had never seen this before so we decided to take the Kumho's off and go with original equipment Wrangler S/Ts. Worked good at first then the wheel hops returned. I even tried installing the spare on the right rear in case they had done something to my rim, same problem. I never had this problem before I changed the tires.Any ideas, shocks maybe? :cry:
  • 05posgc05posgc Member Posts: 2
    At first test drive you will not notice the excessive up shifting into the wrong gear, leaving you powerless while making a rolling turn. This up shifting into what I would assume would be third gear, when in all actuality it should be in second this becomes quite annoying and frustrating.
    Upon taking my 2005 Jeep to the dealer I was told this was because the truck was equipped with a double over drive (over drive at 20 mph?) having this be my third Grand Cherokee I found this answer to be a cop out.
    Also the ventilation system is slow and sluggish when first turned on it will blow out either hot or cold air depending on the outside temp for the first 45 second until it figures out where the dial is set, Hot or cold? Floor or Vent?.
    The floor vents will always stay on even if the vents are placed on face. Again upon bring my Jeep into the dealer I was told "these Jeeps are very computerized now a days, and it would be impossible to figure out why this is happing" His advise... "make the A/C warmer if my feet got cold"....What should I expect for $34,000 Perfection? NOTE: Don't even get me started on the major blind spots in the rear when having to back up.
    Honestly if I had to do it again I would not go with a Grand Cherokee , Thank God its a Lease this is going to be a long 3 years!!!
    Find another dealer for service. That guy is an idiot for saying that to you.
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    That's hilarious. My best guess is that the Hemi is switching from 8 cylinders to 4 cylinders, as well as shifting from gear 4 to gear 5 (overdrive). For myself, I'm waiting for the 2006 JGC with the Diesel engine; this will have as much torque as the hemi, much better fuel economy, and presumably no bucking (although there may be some turbo lag).
  • kaden4kaden4 Member Posts: 2
    My hatch was giving me problems sometimes it would open, sometimes it wouldn't. When it would open, we lubed up the latch thinking it was sticking, but my father in law came over and took off the back panel, there is a little linkage thing that needs to be adjusted then it will open fine everytime. It lasted about a year on mine, but now when I a parked on a uphill slant, or sometimes flat area, it won't open. If I push down on the door ledge (by license plate) with one hand firmly and lift the latch with the other, it will usually open. I guess it's time to readjust the latch.
  • jeephemijeephemi Member Posts: 7
    I've had my Jeep at Brigham-Gill where I bought it twice and Concord Jeep Chrysler. Both dealers do not know how to fix the problem, I was told yesterday by Concord Jeep that they called the Jeep Service Rep and are awaiting a call back. I called Chrysler and they said that they have not received any complaints about the Hemi Jeeps. I want the dealership to take back the vehicle and give me a 4.7. I am ready to file for the Lemon Law. I only had the Jeep for 2 months and hate to drive it. I find that by shifting it manually and never going over 3rd gear helps prevent the stutters. This is my seventh Jeep and will never buy another one.
  • lostmarbleslostmarbles Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 JGC with 95,000 miles. I just discoverd that the brake lights stop working if I turn on my head lights. I had trouble a couple of months ago with the left side and just kept replacing bulbs, problem seemed to stop. Last night I found the right side brake light was not working so I replaced a bulb. Today friends following behind me side I did not have any lights on the back at all. Can anyone advise me on this issue? Thanks,
    Lost Marbles
  • jeepprophetjeepprophet Member Posts: 6
    Replace the fuel filter, and check to make sure your oxygen sensors are good. I just fixed the problem in my car, it was getting so bad sometimes it would backfire and turn off.
  • jkramjkram Member Posts: 17
    I called Jeep myself complaining about my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Hemi. I studders, and bucks, and hesitates. I called a few times. They gave me a reference number and called my dealer. They know there is a problem absolutely. It is amazing the things they say to customers. I read on the Internet many people have complained to Jeep. Oh, they have not fixed mine.
    I have a 96 JGC, 2wd, I've sort of fixed the death wobble. Steering Dampner must be changed. Also check your bushings man, Mine are completely worthless, and there is no rust. I have a feeling there are a LOT of disintegrated bushings out there. and finally...

ALIGNMENT people, get one done by a shop that guarantees it for a while, so you can mess with the steering and get it done again and again, until you've solved the problem. Mine is almost completely fixed, it does it sometimes, you have to slow down hard to get it to stop shaking, but I still need to fix the bushings. Good luck
  • jeanettesjeanettes Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Grand Jerokee which was a pleasure for the first 40,000 miles. In the last 4 months, have needed a new battery and new tires (nothing so alarming there). However, also have just had an overheating problem, low coolant, one power window motor out and now I am told the rear axle is leaking. I paid a lot of $$ for an extended warranty which oddly enough seems to cover NOTHING that happens to this vehicle. I have been advised by my dealer to have the "small" leak fixed to the tune of $40-50, also not covered by extended warranty. Have been reading some messages here and am afraid this may be a sign of a larger problem waiting to happen. Should I unload the thing while it still runs??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I don't know what else to do

new water pump, new oxygen sensors, new fuel filter, no codes on computer scan other than misfire.

It happens when I'm stopping, and the revs go down. It sounds like the engine is choking from lack of fuel, sometimes it sounds like its drowing from too much fuel and I'll get a heavy gas smell. Please help guys, I dont know what else to do, and I just spent $400.00 on repairs.

The engine will slow RPM's, drop RPM's, stutter, turn off. and then not let me turn it on for about a minute.

The only other things I've heard on jeeps is the crank/cam shaft position sensor, and maybe the fuel pump. The car has always run extremely well, and I don't want to let it go. A non-professional opinion was a stuck lifter/valve or a stuck piston. Please help I hope it's none of the things mentioned last, but hopefully I was thinking it has to do with the fuel/air mix ratio and what controls it....which is I don't know what...

PLEASE PLEASE HELP
  • gdcgdc Member Posts: 2
    I have not recently replaced the head unit but will check these wires. Thanks.

The latest on the situation is that I met with the head mechanic and he swore that it was the instrument cluster as he claimed that when the stalling occurred, he could "rap" the dash (near the cluster), my gauges would start to work and then the stalling went away. He would not give me a 100% guarantee that this was the problem but would give me a 99%...

They replaced the cluster with a used one yesterday and guess what ... the problem is still there... the exact same problem. They claimed to have checked all of the wiring, connections, etc and found nothing.

This is very depressing as the jeep is great outside of this issue (which is a big one).. Tomorrow, I'll be meeting with the service manager (again) and suggesting that they replace the BCM and PCM with both of these programmed to NOT enable the security system -- at Chrysler's expense.

Thanks for your suggestions ...
  • saadiesaadie Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem. I noticed when I locked the doors I would hear a funny noise near the tailgate lift. So pushing down on the door ledge while trying to open the latch worked for you? Mine will not open at all now. I'm going to try what you suggested to see if that works for me. What year is your Jeep? Mine is a 1999 Grand Cherokee limited. Have you had this problem looked at by a professional? I'm curious to see what they say is the problem. Was it easy to adjust the latch? How did you adjust it, all info is helpful because both me and my husband are mechanically challenged
  • gwdavis28gwdavis28 Member Posts: 1
    Yah I had the same problem, you need to get the hatch open and remove the rear panel.
    Then inside of the hatch door find the handle. Looking at the inside part of the door on the right-hand side you'll see a piece of threaded rod going thru a clip. It's a pretty cheesy design, but that is slipping. I fixed mine back in Jan and it's still holding, though I need to fix my wives. Though there's enough junk in there that I can't even get one of my kids to climb back there, hahahaha.

Basically, you need to move the threaded rod more to the right, thus tightening the latch assembly. The hatch isn't opening because the latch assembly is too loose. It can't hurt to WD40 or 3 in 1 oil the mechanism while your in there. Test it out before you put the back panel back on. It helps if the hatch is all cleaned out, because if it doesn't open then you can grab the threaded rod and slide it to the left and the hatch will open.

Hope this helps. Glenn |B)
  • jjr1282jjr1282 Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to ask you specific information about fixing the electrical fan. I am having a very similar problem that my car is overheating when idling, in traffic, or slow moving traffic. When cruising, enough air is cooling the engine down, but not when in slow speeds. I have noted that the electrical fan does not spin at all at increased temperatures which clearly leads me to believe my overheating is due to this. Before I bring it in to get fixed/replaced, i want to see if the fuse is busted, a cable isnt connected. Does anyone know where this fuse is, or what cables i might look for. Thanks.
    The wires should be obvious. Look at the center of the fan blade and find the motor. There should be a wire harness coming out of the motor most likely with two wires. Trace the wire harness until you find the connector. Check the connector.
    The fuse will no doubt be in your fuse block. Look in your owner's manual and it will tell you where your fuse block is and which fuse you need to look at.
    I had a 2003 Grand Cheroke HO and had to replace the front rotors twice within 27,000 miles. I got rid of it a couple of months ago and got the 2005 Grand Cherokee with the Hemi. The problems I am having with it now makes me wish I had never bought another Jeep. I keep my Jeeps between 2-3 years. I would never keep one over 50,000 miles. My advise would be to get rid of it and never buy a Jeep product again.
  • eggin1eggin1 Member Posts: 1
    For some reason my jeep has started blowing heat no mater what I set the temp level. It also flashes er for a second on the display. If I pinch off my heater hose the cold air returns. Is there some type of door in the system stuck?
  • ashoreashore Member Posts: 1
    have you solved the problem, mine does the same thing, when it gets hot.

codes are 201, 202, 207 and 208

dealer is stumped
  • kchmbkchmb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Grand Cherokee that is stalling when I come to a stop. It has 154K on it. The car will be fine when it is idling and driving, but if I let go of the gas pedal it will stall out. Any ideas?? Thanks!
  • jeepgirl4jeepgirl4 Member Posts: 1
    MY 1994 JEEP GCL IDALS ROUGH THEN IT STATS TO CUT OUT THEN IT DIED ON THE MIDDLE OF THE INTERSTATE WITH DISEL TRUCKS ANY IDEA WHAT IT COULD BE IM THINKING MAYBE A FUEL PUMP
  • reb6reb6 Member Posts: 1
    I have exactly the same problem. My car is in its 3rd trip to the jeep dealer. They can't find anything wrong with the sensors. The car stalls at stop signs when the transmission doesn't seem to disengage. It's like forgetting to push in the clutch with a manual transmission when you stop.
    The car also stalls on the highway -- just seems to quit. I start to pull over, and pump the gas pedal and it seems to come back to life.
    Any luck solving your problem? My dealer installed a new coil and wiring harness, but it didn't seem to help the problem.
    Could it be the main computer. Another shop mentioned this, but the jeep shop hasn't.
  • tomthumbtomthumb Member Posts: 1
    My '97 JGC has a transmission noise (sounds like I have studded tires on; but a bit louder) at speeds over 35; when I switch out of overdrive (light comes on on the dash) the noise stops.
    I can bring the noise back by pushing the gearshift lever a bit.
    Any suggestions?
  • naddinenaddine Member Posts: 1
    Help...when I turn off the power to the AC/Heater, the defrost fan starts blowing at High speed. This continues even AFTER the car has been turned off and the key has been removed. So far the only way I have been able to stop the fan from blowing is by removing a fuse from the large fuse box under the hood. However, the fuse must be replaced to start the car again, and then the fan will blow non-stop again. If the A/C in used while the car is running, it works properly, but when the power goes off, the defrost blower fan comes on again. Any ideas????
  • snyderlgsnyderlg Member Posts: 2
    Same problem as my 2001 jgc limited.......blend air doors on pass side.....dealer wants 1300.00 to fix......not covered under warranty ??? go figure :mad:
  • ttfdallasttfdallas Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 a started having the exact same problems in the last month -- trans not disengaging at stops and coming out of gear and stalling on the highway, only to start back up again when I pump the gas. No idea what is going on. I'm going to contact my dealer and see if they know what it could be. If you figure it out before I do, I appreciate you sharing the diagnosis...I'll do the same.
  • latinflavlatinflav Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I'm having the same problem. Do you suggest changing the relay first. If so where is it located. :(
    I've changed:

Front/Rear Oxygen Sensors
    Checked Fuel pressure on the rail
    changed fuel filter
    changed water pump
    cleaned out throttle body
    checked idle control motor relay it's still in decent working order.

I've heard someting about MAP sensors which have shaken loose of thier contacts and need to be soldered back.

Could the Idle Control Motor be bad and stall the car out only sometimes, and only when coming to a stop, idling, or in park, and twice while driving and letting go of the accelerator.

I've also heard the Vehicle-speed sensor could be the cause of the problem... guys I LOVE MY JEEP, and I've put a lot of money into it, but I never could have imagined it was going to bring me such heartache. Anyone who's fixed this problem please help me. Please let me know, I'm 19, a restaurant manager, Just getting used to adult life, and now this has been the month from H*ll. Please help guys, I need this car for work, everyday. I can't fail, and Miami public transportation has to be the worst in the WORLD.....

PLEASEEEE my mechanic watched my car stalll out on him right in front of him, while in park, and he told me theres nothing wrong with the car, because there is no code on the computer......

:'-(
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    my mechanic watched my car stalll out on him right in front of him, while in park, and he told me theres nothing wrong with the car

Never believe your lying eyes! ;)

tidester, host
  • pblancopblanco Member Posts: 1
    Well let me add to the 2005 LGC Tranny problems. I had the shuddering problem 3 days after I leased the truck, took it in for the TSB that stated to flush out the tranny to remove the moisture from inside. PIcked it up the next day, drove it home, had to take it back for the same problem once again. So I have less than 700 miles on it, and already I have gone in twice for the same issue. Completely unacceptable. Now the Service Manager told me they are going to drop the transmission and do a full overhaul on it to ensure all moisture is removed and to perform a thorough eval to make sure nothing else was damaged inside. I already called Chrysler Jeep and reported my issue so that there is a history. I am patiently waiting the outcome, the deal has been great though. They provided a FREE rental car which is the least they can do in my eyes.
  • jeepchickjeepchick Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 JGC Laredo 4.0, optional 4x4, inline 6, automatic with 120,000 miles and I am having trouble with stalling also.

This is what happens:
    1. Put key into ignition and turn to start...starts fine
    2. I check the dashboard monitor, no lights, and all gauges are normal (temp just under 210)
    3. Apply foot to brake and shift from Park to either Drive or Reverse.
    4. Car stalls

Car will remain remain running in Park without problems, but IMMEDIATELY shuts off when I attempt to shift from Park to another gear. I live in Wisconsin and it is 88 degrees today and the vehicle was sitting in the sun. There is a slight coolant leak but the overflow still has coolant. I tried 4 or 5 times with the same result. I then waited 30 minutes and the car started and ran fine. Does anyone know what the problem may be? I called my mechanic and he told me it could just be very overheated from my errands but the temperature gauge was showing normal. Thanks much in advance.
    I took my GCL with the Hemi to the dealer with the TSB in hand and they told me that it does not apply to my transmission. They said it was for the 300C not Jeep. I am still having the same problems of the shuddering but it seems to be getting worse. I now have 1700 miles. This vehicle is the worst piece of junk I've ever driven.
    I posted a couple times on my jeep stalling for no reason, it stalls in park, it stalls in neutral, it stalls at idle, it stalls while driving on the highway. And it's whenever it wants to. totally random.....i thought it was an idle problem, but twice it's stalled while driving...

should I just take the bus?? and give up my jeep for good...I love it to death and I know there's a definite reason for it....something small and loose, some sensor not working correctly, a malfunctioning something or other, but I've spent $400 in the last week to not have it fixed......

Miami busses suck....

What's a Jeep lover to do?
  • jkramjkram Member Posts: 17
    I have posted about my Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Hemi bucking and stumbling many times. Has Chrysler Jeep fixed any of the others that posted the same problem? I've read many complaints, but never see anyone say they fixed it. If you have success please post so we can get ours fixed!!!! Anyone at all!!!!
  • smt14smt14 Member Posts: 1
    When I start our Jeep it rev's up really fast and idle's fast until we put it in gear. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Also, when we are traveling down the road with our cruise control on at 60 mph, the engine RPM will be at 1800 and then it will surge up to 2000 and then back down to 1800. It does this quite often. Does anyone know what would be causing this?
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    A mechanic friend of mine once told me that all engine running problems can be reduced to this: An engine needs only fuel, air and spark, and for them to come together at the right time. I mention this because air is an often overlooked component. In the case of stalling at idle, check to make sure the PCV valve and supply tube are clean and clear. When the throttle body is closed (foot off gas pedal) the engine is more dependant on this air supply. This may not be your problem, but at least it is an easy check and cheap repair.
  • cojeepcojeep Member Posts: 1
    Hi-We've had our 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited since last August and have had ongoing issues: Erratic idle, stalling when put into gear, hesitation at highway speeds when letting off the gas. :( Dealerships have changed plugs, cleaned the idol control whatever plus some other things I don't remember and no improvement. Of course, the warranty we bought covered none of the above.
    We're a bit upside down in the loan and thinking about getting rid of it, but would hang onto it if we were confident this could be fixed.
    Any suggestions? And does anyone have a reliable mechanic that won't rip us off in Rhode Island?
  • afeketeafekete Member Posts: 1
    What year and model is it? I have a 1994 Laredo. It does the same thing. It goes through phases where it will not stall for months and then all of a sudden it starts stalling randomly. A mechanic told me that there is a known bug with a sensor (cam shaft positions sensor I believe) whichs malfunctions and triggers an engine shutdown. But have yet to find an official report from Chrysler.
  • ajgoochajgooch Member Posts: 1
    My solution may or may not work for you, but worth consideration I think. Read below:

I had a similar experience, spent all kinds of $$ at the dealer, only to almost get cut in two while leaving the dealer's lot when it stalled in the middle of two lanes of traffic after the expensive repairs (including complete tune up, wiring harness, fuel injector work...) because all that they did, DID NOT correct my problem. I brought it to a local small repair shop in my town and explained the situation. He asked that I leave it with him while I was at work that day and come back for it that night - he had an idea. My wallet was almost empty after what I had just paid for the other worthless repairs, so I was hesitant to leave it without having some idea of what he had in mind. He told me to trust him, if he was right in his thinking, it would not be an expensive fix. So, it swallowed hard and put my trust in him. When I returned later that afternoon I asked how things went and what I owed. He told me I didn't owe anything yet, drive it for a couple days and let him know if it was any better. I told him I would know when I Ieft his driveway if I was all set, as it would not idle well and would almost always stall while waiting to pull into traffic. I got in the car, started it up and headed for home. I couldn't believe it!!!! The car never hesitated, never shuttered, never stalled....it ran smoothly from that point forward. What was the fix? He disconnected the EGR valve (where I live they do not check emissions on that year vehicle so he didn't go to the expense of replacing) and put a screw in to block air from entering the line. It ran great!!! I was so grateful and happy, and he only charged me $15.00!!!!!!! I still to this day can remember how great it felt to have the problem solved and my Jeep running reliably again. Not sure this is what your problem is, but it sounds similar. May be worth a try. Good luck.
  • degandegan Member Posts: 3
    :cry: the hose you are refering is the over flow line for radiator coolant not the A/C drain
  • 98jgc98jgc Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 JGC with the six and 95K. When I turn on the air you get a very strong mildew smell comming from the vents. Does any one know what the problems is and how can I fix it? Thanks
    Yep. I know.
    I posted an apology a while ago. I was going by a comment in my repair manual which showed the drain hose on a '99 (I own a '98) and mistook the coolant drain hose for the A\C drain hose.
    Grab a flash light and look inside your passenger side framerail. Better yet, get inside the Jeep and pull up the carpet and find it that way.
    I have never had that problem on my '98 so I don't really feel like taking my vehicle apart to find a problem that doesn't exist for me.
  • youn0813youn0813 Member Posts: 28
    I found a small amount (half of the size of my hand) liquid under my 04 JGC Ltd with 16K on it. This morning. I don't think it's A/C water because I didn't use it the day night before, but it felt like water when I touched it. I didn't taste it. Does anyone know what kind of liquid that could be? I did use A/C for a bit the DAY before, but this morning I went somewhere and parked my car, after about 3 hours I came back and the liquid was there. Any comments and help are appreciated! Thanks a lot!
  • jeep1189jeep1189 Member Posts: 2
    Hey. I'm new to this. And the world of Jeeps. I recently got a 98 Cherokee Classic Model. It has an inline 6 engine with 225 horsepower. However, it is only a two wheel drive. Recently when i turn the ac on and put it in gear I hear this loud screeching noise that has turned several heads from neighboring houses coming from what sounds like the belt. I have already replaced the belt. That cost 100 bucks. It didnt work. I've taken out some of the R134. The mechanics think too much pressure was being caused by that. However, that still didn't work. I tried several theories earlier. It only squeaks when the ac is on. No matter how low or high it is. It eventually winds out. And it starts when i come to a complete stop and start again or when i change gears. I don't want to spend tons of money on it only to find out that theres nothing that can be done. Has anyone else had this problem. All help and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks