Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• blue_racer34blue_racer34 Member Posts: 4
    I simply drilled a 1/4" hole through the back of the plastic collector box, (the circle at the bottom of the V under the A/C unit, inside the car) and ran a rod through the drain from inside the car. Then covered the hole with a piece of "moulding tape" which you can get just a short piece at your local body shop. It has held up all summer very well, and no more water in the back seat.
  • blue_racer34blue_racer34 Member Posts: 4
    I have a "98" JGC that had a similar problem AFTER a $2000 trans rebuild. Turns out that ATRA (Automatic trans. rebuilders association) sent out a bulletin that states that the trans cooler return line has a check valve in it, and it should be removed, to avoid rear planetary failure due to overheating. Problem is, once you remove the check valve, the convertor drains down over night, and has to refill in the morning. After two trips back to the rebuild shop, and threatening to make the problem public via our local tv station, they put the check valve back in, and things seem to be OK, for now.
    Sounds like you may have a stuck check valve, and the rear planetary set IS overheating which is causing fluid failure, and the sticky down shifts. Even though the Jeep repair shop estimated a higher cost to rebuild my tranny, I spent more in the long run by trying to save a few bucks. By the way, Jeep Corp. service hot line did not know of any service bulletins regarding this check valve failure, even though ATRA claimed it came straight from Jeep. Good luck.
  • baracuda1974baracuda1974 Member Posts: 1
    HELP!!!!!!
    I had a little fender bender last night. I have a 98 Grand Cherokee 4.0 in line 6, and after being rear-ended now the truck won’t start.
    I have checked all the fuses in side the cab and in the engine compartment, checked if the fuel pump was not working, checked cables connections,
    Un-plugged the battery terminal from the battery to see if the computer reset it self.
    I still haven’t got it to start; does any body know what the heck is going on????
    Reply A.S.A.P.
    Thanks
    Mark.
  • 4x4meister4x4meister Member Posts: 2
    I have a '93 JGC with 5.2L that just won't make it back on the road. After sitting for 4 months after a host of engine problems took it out of service, crank position sensor, ignition coil, timing chain slack, oil leaks, now that the engine is running perfectly it won't drive in anything but 4low or reverse! The vehicle was driving fine, as far as the transmission was concerned, before the hiatus but now won't go into 4hi. It makes some sounds like it is attempting the process for a sec or two, and then gives up and won't go in. The vehicle is just shy of 300k miles, and I'd hate to mindlessly rebuild the tranny or transfer case without ruling out electronics. Anyone with any ideas/experiences would be greatly appreciated. :cry:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I recommend posting your message in the "No Start" Problems discussion. Electronic Gremlins: Electrical Problems That Are Driving You Crazy may also be helpful. Good luck!

tidester, host
  • 4x4meister4x4meister Member Posts: 2
    Update: I was misinformed... apparently it drives only in 1st gear, in both 4hi and 4low. It has the 46RH transmission - fully-hydraulic.
  • wal4wal4 Member Posts: 4
    Good luck my friend I'm living your pain. I just paid 560.00 to have the Trans Governer pressure sensor replace for that same problem. And a week later they tell me that my trans needs to be rebuilded. 2300$ smacks.

will

:cry:
    What's new, the transmission from hell If your engine light comes on run to the dealer or try to sell your Jeep Grand because it will run you about a grand to get it fix. 1st gear 2nd gear no gears. two days and 2300.00$ later hopefully I'll be driving again.

:sick:
  • ssturnerssturner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 JC and I am going through your exact problem. 5 days after spending $1300 on the 60,000 mile maintenance and a new Trans Governer the car suddenly shifts into Overdrive of which I can't push the button to turn it off. Next the Trans Heating sensor goes off. I am waiting to see what the damage will be. Was any of your repairs covered by warranty? :mad:
  • strohmoosestrohmoose Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 JGC and modified the housing below the headlight. I took the headlight out and cut out a hole in the floor of the black plastic housing creating an access to the relay. Makes it a lot easier to replace next time!
  • topspin999topspin999 Member Posts: 2
    I've had the same experience, but no advice. Differentials checked, transfer case checked, universal joints replaced, steering damper checked, rear wheel bearings replaced, new tires ... same problem. Wuhm, wuhm, wuhm, wuhm .......
  • mojomavenmojomaven Member Posts: 3
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L 20k

I appreciate any assistance you may provide. I recently purchased the above vehicle and have been very content with it. However, recently I have noticed a squeaky noise when I hit a slight bump, emanating from the rear right quadrant of the car. It seems like it is around the right wheel. IN other words, as the car bounces, it squeaks with the bounce....a lot like jumping up and down on a bed. We brought it to the dealer (under warranty) and they lubed it, but the problem remains. Any suggestions or ideas about what might be wrong?

Thanks for your help!
  • evan34evan34 Member Posts: 5
    I hear the same noise on my 2005 GCL Laredo. I haven't gone through all the possibilities though such as removing the trunk cover.
  • jeephelperjeephelper Member Posts: 4
    Hi There...

I have 1999 Grand Cherokee and today I got the similar problem and symptoms,

engine cranks but won't start, gas gauge reads empty, no fuel pump sound on ignition start, .....so did you ever find out the cause of the no start?

I heard the crank sensor is a possible cause......what was your problem?????
    Hi there

Did the crank sensor do the job ? Where crank sensor located ? How did you replace it?
    Further to my no start problems....on the instrument panel there was an ignition key circle and check gauges sign, as well as gas gauge empty and on fuel pump sounds
  • strohmoosestrohmoose Member Posts: 4
    Did you have any problems with the ECM module after your modification to the plug?
  • jeepstercj5jeepstercj5 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problems with my Jeep. It appears that this has happened before as the hole and plug are already there. I pulled the plug out but can't seem to dislodge the obstruction. I have used compress air etc. but still no go! When I prod with a wire through the hole it feels as if there is a rubber hose on the other side. I guess I don't know which direction I should be going with the wire as I don't know where the drain hose goes? I sure could use some help as my floor board is standing in water and smells!!
  • gm6147gm6147 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '95 JGC with 144k miles on it and I just had the water pump replaced after it over heated a few weeks ago because I hadn't been checking the fluid and the anti-freeze exploded in it and I opened the hood and there was just fluid everywhere, I let it cool down and tried to drive it home but it stalled out not even half way there and would not start again. I replaced the thermostat and that helped the overheating, but it still dripped a little anti-freeze on the ground once in a while. We replaced the water pump and everything was fine for about a week and just today something with the oil exploded and I looked underneath and there was just oil all over everything and I can't find where it is coming from. Anyone with this problem or any help, please any of it.

Thanks,
    G
    I wish my problem happen at 60,000 . I'm not sure if it's covered, my warranty was up at 75,000 miles. My problem started that way. The overdrive light will go out by turning your car off but don't drive it go straight to the dealer. The trans is overheating. It's not your overdrive button. Don't TAKE ANY CHANCES. Please let me Know what they found. I hope one day we will all be part of a class action case and get all the money back. :mad:
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    I'm kind of guessing on this one but your vehicle may have an auto shutdown relay (ASR) which shuts off fuel to the engine after a collision.
    You could try doing a web search or call your Jeep dealer and ask the service manager if that sounds right and how you can reset it.
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    That doesn't sound good. If you drove it after running it out of antifreeze, you probably cracked the block. Sounds like it's time for a new engine to me.
    Gas gauge shows empty but it is full of gas.
    Engine cranks and turnsover ok.
    "Ignition Key circle" shows on dash.
    "Check gauge" message shows on dash.

But the engine cannot start..PLEASE HELP if you can..... :cry:
  • marktivmarktiv Member Posts: 1
    The reverse lights on my jeep have been out for a while. Inspection is coming up next month and I would like to repair this soon. Looking through the Chilton Repair manual, they do not cover this subject. (The wiring diagram is missing the reverse lights). My first investigation reveals this is not activated with shifter inside the car, so now I am looking at the transmission. Anyone know which sensor could be out? I have my eye on the transmission, driver side up front that is suspect due to the frayed wires. Or is it like the CJ where I have drop the tranny and pull some box out and clean it.
    thanks
  • svanschalkwyksvanschalkwyk Member Posts: 2
    Hi, (1997 JGC Laredo)
    I did the same thing (1/4" dia hole) and ran a clotheshanger wire through it. I thought I saw some water on the ground later, but the next long trip there it was again, sloshing under both the front and rear passenger carpets. I lifted the carpets again and they are showing signs of rotting.
    Where is the outlet located? I notice posts mentioning a kinked outlet hose, but I cannot find it.
    The evaporator was replaced by Kings Jeep in St. Louis three years ago as a recall, and as they scratched every bezel they could find, broke the gear shift cover AND put the dampers back the wrong side, I took it back. They refused to acknowledge responsibility so I had another dealer fix it ($900!) and document it. I have since filed suit against them.
    Are they responsible for the leaking water as well?
    Step.
    :(
  • aurora141gaurora141g Member Posts: 4
    Ok Jumping it finally worked, but i still hear a high pitch noise coming from the engine when i hit the gas. If anyone knows what that could be please let me know. Thanks
  • jeeproverjeeprover Member Posts: 17
    The AP is reporting today that Chrysler will recall 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokees in October because of water contamination in the transmission that can cause overheating and a fire under the hood. The recall will affect more than 100,000 2005's with the 3.7 engine and the NAG1 ( W5A580 ) transmission. Water from the a/c can enter the trans at the dipstick hole, causing the trans to slip or shudder and overheat to the point of starting a fire. This problem was previously discussed in TSB 21-011-05A. If your trans is slipping or shuddering, then you should take it to the dealer immediately. Several members of this forum have reported having this problem -- but luckily no reported fires - in the recent past.

"Never buy a car in its first model year."

Detroit News has the AP item at: http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0509/16/01-317608.htm
  • melonmanmelonman Member Posts: 3
    Well, this may be of no relevance however, there was a recall on my '97 JGC for faulty reading from fuel pump. Additionally, my check gauges has come on whenever gauges are way over/ under the expected values (had a bad battery which gave me all sorts of electrical gremlins such as int. pegged voltage gauge readings.

I'm wondering if the security (chip in your ign. key) "feature" might be the problem which Ign. key circle fault may be indicating and preventing you from firing though still allowing you to turn it over.

Just some random thoughts...

Melonman
  • ajeepguyajeepguy Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem with my '01. Would "lurch" slightly right before it came to a complete stop, then wouldn't downshift properly. Developed a "work around" in that I just pulled the trans down manually with the shifter. Eventually had it repaired...I think they replace to trans governor pressure sensor that someone else mentioned for about $500. No further trouble.
  • dagoods25dagoods25 Member Posts: 13
    thanks for the heads up...Should I be concerned with my 05 JGC limited with the 4.7 liter V8? I also had the same problem with water infiltration but the dealership fixed it. What will exactly happens during a recall anyway?
    I think the problem is just on the NAG1 (W5A580) five speed automatic (from Mercedes) that goes with the 3.7 engine. BTW, this same trans is used in the Dodge 300...

I guess it could happen with the different transmission used in the 8 cylinder models, but there is no evidence of that yet -- except maybe your case!

The AP article says the recall will be out in October. I looked on the NHTSA web page and they have it indexed in but they do not have the text of it there yet. We (those of us with the 3.7 engine) should get letters from Daimler-Chrysler shortly afterwards. I am not sure what the fix will be -- it might be to replace the fill tube with one that fits into the transmission better, or it might just be to place RTV sealant around the fill tube entry point (that is what the TSB calls for). Good luck with your JGC -- I love mine -- hope this problem doesn't affect you. Something like this can cause someone to never buy another Jeep.
  • mrsm93mrsm93 Member Posts: 2
    have a 2000 JGC limited with 70000 miles. I have only had it for about 5 months. recently my son keeps saying that when we take off from a stop that it seems there is a "clunk" when it shifts at about 5 mph. Last night we were on the interstate running about 70 mph we noticed the engine light come on right after that it kind of hesitated, sort of like we running out of gas. Checked and we had 3/4 tank. We stopped and checked oil and trans fluid. We were stopped about 10 minutes and decided to see how it was running. At this point we were 70 miles from home at 3am. We made it home but the whole time the car was stil hesitating every few minutes. Does anyone know what this could be?? The owners manual was gone when we bought the car so I don't even have that to refer to.
    Thanks,
    Deb
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    There could be several things that are affecting your JGC performance. I was interested in your post and decided to reply because I've in the past have had some of the same symptoms in my wifes '02 JCG with H.O. 4.7L. I do have one question for you. Is it a V8 or I-6? If it is the V8, it could be something as simple as a tune-up. You mentioned that you had the vehicle for 5 months. Has it been tuned up? Carbon build-up around a spark plug can cause "hesitation" especially once at highway speeds. If its not a tune-up and the Malfuction Indicator Light "Check Engine" light is still on, take the vehicle to Autozone so they can run a diagnostics test via your Jeep's Diagnostics Port. Or you could take it to the dealer, but they are going to charge you $80 dollars to run the test. Autozone is free. As with the "check engine" light, any miss or hic-up will cause it to illuminate. I hope this helps and feel free to type another postif this is not the remedy.
    You don't have to wait for it to "slip or shudder". Take it in anyway. This is a very serious and potentially fatal problem with this vehicle. I do command Jeep for taking appropiate action on this sitiuation. Now if I could just get them to look into the WJ's (99-04) NOTORIOUS BRAKE ROTOR WARPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dudley1dudley1 Member Posts: 1
    My Sons Jeep Cherokee will not start am I am reasonably sure it is the starter. However; I have never worked on a jeep at all. I have some good knowledge of many other cars through the years but was just wondering if there is any good sites for car diagrams/ replacement parts for jeeps available?
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    I think you mean "commend Jeep", not "command Jeep." Funny.
  • mdj65mdj65 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the EXACT same problem. Did you get a resolution to it yet?
    If so can you please share it with me. I have been without my vehicle for 5 weeks now and the dealer has no CLUE as what to change out next. Tried BCM. Instrument cluster, PCM and several relays. still having issues... Let me know what you came up with.. Thanks

Mark J.
  • 2001jeep2001jeep Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee. My roof is starting to rust. I have 1 spot that is about 1 inch round with no paint and just rust. I have about 18 other spots that are starting to bubble and paint flaking off. I took the vehicle in to the dealer about 18 months ago to review a defect on the paint at that time on the spot that is now rusted. I was told that it was bird droppings. Now I am told that warranty will not cover until perforation. Dealer agrees that it is not right but will not do anything until DC reviews. We can not see any primer on the spots that are bubbling.

I am currently trying to set a time to meet with DC reps to discuss what they are going to do with the paint issue. Any pointers or suggestions that can help in my future meetings with DC? I want this resolved.

Should I use any means necessary to make sure it perforates before September 2006?
  • dallasownerdallasowner Member Posts: 1
    If any can respond quickly..I'd appreciate it. I took my car (01 JGC) to a shop this morning at 8am to replace the fan (car was overheating). This is costing me approx $500. They just called me at 11am, just 3 hrs later, to say that the fan is fixed...but bad news, my passenger front window is not working and is stuck in down position and is going to cost me 400-500 to fix. The window was working fine when I dropped it off. Am I being taken advantage of? Is there something that they could have done to make the window not work? I told them to try to fix it, as it stopped working while under their care, but I was not authorizing payment for any work done. Any advice is appreciated....
  • yellowfinyellowfin Member Posts: 8
    Is anyone else out there having transmission issues (specifically failing transmission fluid samples) with their 2005 GC's with the V8? Unless their was a redesign with this particular engine/transmission combination, you would think this problem would be occurring to previous models. I recently purchased and '05 GC Loredo with the V8/Chrysler transmission and wondering if I should bring it in to have the fill tube patched up with RTV. I guess it couldn't hurt. :confuse:
  • jlf999jlf999 Member Posts: 4
    My 1999 jeep grand cherokee laredo-one owner- 60,000 miles. Door locks, instruments - gauges and AC were not working on and off. The doors would also click - locking - repeatedly while I was driving. I took it to dealer last week as I was trying to drive in Houston with no AC and windows closed. They replaced the instrument cluster - $700. and four days later the gauges went out again and the engine was cutting out. (dealer had also given it a tune-up and cleaned the fuel line). Today gauges are working again and it is at the dealer. I read where one guy with a '92 plymouth van had similar problems and repaired the body module or computer and van worked. Check this site: http://www.allpar.com/fix/gauges.html for his experience.
  • jlf999jlf999 Member Posts: 4
    I replied to Chellet66 concerning the same problem. The Instrument cluster replacement($700) seemed to fix it for 4 days. Instruments and windows are now malfunctioning again and it is back in the shop today.
  • strokerace1strokerace1 Member Posts: 2
    I would make them fix it!!! Same thing happened to me a few years ago. WIndow motor stopped working while in for servicing. Told me I had to pay for it. I refused and waited for the HEAD service manager. I did not pay for it and they repaired it. Otherwise, you can report them to your county agency for bad business practices.
  • jeepdtjeepdt Member Posts: 15
    Is it only the 3.7L? I have a 4.8 v8 and it shutters like that when in Drive and not moving. It also shut off twice in traffic today: no warning, just killed the engine. I was able to restart it right away and the shuttering was happening big time: had to put the tranny into Neutral when not moving. I have an appointment with my dealer to check it out next week. :confuse:
    I thought the 4.7 V8 had a different transmission -- the 5.7L HEMI uses the 545RFE Transmission. In any case, at least three people on this forum have reported water in trans problems with the 4.7 engine! So, I would do two things: Keep an eye out for a TSB or recall on the trans problems with this engine; and second, report trans problems to the NHTSA web page (since water in the trans can lead to overheating and to fires). Good luck with it...
    Funny?
    I found it extremely funny that as your last comment on your post, you wrote: Don't buy a new car in its first year. If no one bought them in the first m/y, we wouldn't even have conversations about this topic because it wouldn't even be in production. Secondly, this is an isolated incident on one particular powertrain on this particular vehicle instead of being linewide. Earlier this month, both GM and Toyota( Imagine That) had MASSIVE recalls on their trucks and suv's. This only affected a one year old vehicle. Toyota and GM affects multiple m/y's. My point is this: It doesn't matter what automaker you choose to buy from, cars are going to have problems simply because we as human beings fail to realize that these automobiles are indeed mechanical, thus problems are inevitable. At least DC got it right this time and did the right thing. Afterall, we also as human beings love to have the newest things out, cars most of all.

P.S.- Check the spelling on this Jack!!!
    The text of the recall letter is available on the NHTSA web page. Here is a gist of it:
    -----------------------------------
    Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
    JEEP / GRAND CHEROKEE 2005

Manufacturer : DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V396000 Mfg's Report Date : SEP 08, 2005
    Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 101925
    Summary:
    ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 3.7L ENGINES AND NAG1 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS, THE AIR CONDITIONER EVAPORATOR CONDENSATE WATER MAY ENTER THE TRANSMISSION AT THE FILL TUBE GROMMET SEAL. THIS CAN RESULT IN SHUDDER DURING TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH ENGAGEMENT.
    Consequence:
    IT CAN LEAD TO INCREASED TRANSMISSION OPERATING TEMPERATURES, BOILING OF THE WATER, AND A SUBSEQUENT PURGING OF TRANSMISSION FLUID INTO THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT POTENTIALLY RESULTING IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE TRANSMISSION FOR LEAKAGE AT THE FILL TUBE GROMMET SEAL. IF NO LEAK IS DETECTED, A NEW FILL TUBE GROMMET SEAL AND WATER DEFLECTOR SHIELD WILL BE INSTALLED, AND PROPER ALIGNMENT OF THE FILL TUBE VERIFIED. IF THE PRESENCE OF A LEAK IS DETECTED, THE VEHICLE WILL BE EVALUATED FOR SHUDDER DURING TORQUE CONVERTER ENGAGEMENT. IF NO SHUDDER IS DETECTED, THE TRANSMISSION WILL BE TRIPLE FLUSHED, AND NEW FILL TUBE GROMMET SEAL AND WATER DEFLECTOR WILL BE INSTALLED AND PROPER ALIGNMENT OF THE FILL TUBE VERIFIED. IF SHUDDER IS DETECTED, THE TORQUE CONVERTER WILL BE REPLACED, A NEW FILL TUBE GROMMET SEAL AND WATER DEFLECTOR WILL BE INSTALLED, AND PROPER ALIGNMENT OF THE FILL TUBE VERIFIED. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN MID-OCTOBER 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
    Notes:
    DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECALL NO. E13. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

-------------------

Comment: It is important to note that the fix is not the same as specified in the TSB (21-011-05A)! The recall specifies that the fill tube grommet must be replaced with a new one, not just sealed with RTV, even if there is no leak evident yet. So for the three or four members of this forum who have reported the shuddering transmission problem, and had the dealer fix it... even if done according to the TSB... you will need to go back for the recall.

If anyone driving a 2005 jeep has a shuddering problem during shifting (caused by water in the transmission) you need to take the vehicle to your jeep dealer immediately, as the water can cause overheating and a discharge of trans fluid into the engine -- causing a fire.
    "Don't buy a new car in its first year" is good advice for anyone! But it is tongue in cheek -- someone has to buy them the first year, so the bugs can be worked out for everyone else!

I should know - I bought a 1999 Grand Cherokee when the WJ model was new and had many of the problems that were endemic to that first year (failed electric windows, computer needing reflashing, the infamous warped brakes, the pernicious tick & pop from the steering column, etc.). Most of these were fixed by TSBs, and a review of the list of TSBs shows that many of these problems were figured out fairly early (although some lingered, and others popped up later).

Check out the WJ model recalls at: http://www.wjjeeps.com/recall.htm

and the WJ TSBs at: http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb.htm

And this is a problem for Daimler-Chrysler, giving rise to their reputation for poor quality. I love Jeeps: I've owned a 97 Cherokee and 99, 02, and 04 Grand Cherokees before buying the 05. They have a lot to offer. They are not overly expensive. I can live with the problems when they are on warranty. But this latest transmission problem is serious, both in numbers (over 100,000 vehicles) and impact (vehicles can catch on fire). No, it is not of the same scale as the Ford cruise control problem. DC appears to be doing all it can -- it takes time to get the procedure and the parts out to the dealers -- and I anticipate they will fix my Jeep just fine. And I will keep driving them. And when they come out with a great looking new WX in 2010, I'll probably rush out and buy one in its first year.
  • bfrederickbfrederick Member Posts: 2
    HELP! My jeep has 37,000 miles on it and it has a 4.7L engine. It runs very good, but in the last 5 thousand miles or so, it intermittently has a delayed start. When that happens, it takes about 2 or 3 seconds longer to start. During that time frame, the starting noise if very low and when it finally starts, the exhaust is very rich in smell - as if it starts with too much fuel in the cylinders. I am thinking this is a computer chip problem. The dealer has tested every thing including the fuel pump. Also, this happens on cold and warm starts. Any suggestions or similar experences? Thanks. :mad:
    "And this is a problem for Daimler-Chrysler, giving rise to their reputation for poor quality".

You can't be serious? You would rather continue to spend $30k or more on a vehicle with subpar quality than to buy a vehicle with decent quality. I have a hard time believing that. As you mentioned, you are Jeep lover in which you've owned several. I've owned several myself: 84 Cherokee, '87 Wagoneer, '91 Grand Wagoneer ( A certified classic- last year made), '93 ZJ Limited-5.2, '98 5.9 Limited 2001 JGC Laredo 4.0, 2003 Overland 4.7 H.O., and now 2005 JGC 5.7 Hemi Limited loaded to the roof. I stepped out of the Jeep box once and purchased a--get this-- everyone's favorite '99 Toyota 4-Runner Limited. That thing was plagued with problems from day numero uno. I know that you are going to say that this is a case by case event, but nevertheless TOYota's build quality is supposed to be the Standard Operating Platform in which ALL manufacturer's are to duplicate at all cost. My later model Jeeps indeed rode better than any truck I've ever owned. And as you can see, I've bought a few of them in their first m/y. I do agree with you that Chrysler (Not yet DC in 99) should have did more quality studies in their '99 and early 2000 model WJ's. I also agree with what a lot of my fellow Jeepers are saying in that DC needs to stand behind their product in more problems, whether past,present, or future.

P.S. I would also rate the Jeep's recall behind GM, Ford, and Toyota. GM- brakes that can give out without any notice whatsoever is not only dangerous for you as the owner but potentially fatal to any unsuspecting driver you may encounter. Toyota- A fuel tank that can explode on a dime-- need I say more? But these are all very very serious problems, no matter the manufacturer.