Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    Wow, 10 ply truck tires. Never thought of that.
    I just put Mich LTX M/S on my 01 Laredo a month ago. Only 2 minor snow events here in MN so far but they've done well, as would be expected based on tirerack ratings. They are very quiet and good in general wet/dry road handling too. We'll see how they do when we get our 6-8" or more dump later this winter. BTW, my OEM GY Wrangler SRAs went 70k miles doing a 5 tire rotation, which works out to be 55k for 4 tires. Can't fault them for running that long, the dealer could not believe it either.
  • tdad71302tdad71302 Member Posts: 18
    for some time now my wipers have only worked on the last two settings on my 95 jgc. i don't know if it's the motor or the switch. it started doing it one winter when i was too lazy to wipe the snow off by hand and used the wipers. i have to turn the switch to get the wipers to stop at the bottom. and anyone out there have an extra keyless entry remote they want to get rid of?
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Can't help with the wipers, however you should check E-bay for the keyless entry remote. They have them super cheap and you may find that some even include the keys. You will have to get them cut however.
  • jeeps2jeeps2 Member Posts: 45
    Thanks for the tips, it will make my job easier.Have a good day
  • iceangeliceangel Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the same problem with the wipers on my JGC as well. I was told it might be the intermittent control box But I have not checked it out yet. I was wondering if you have gotten to the root of the problem yet and if so let me know what it may be. Thanks
  • lsuhlsuh Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem.... won't start, have it towed and starts in front of the mechanics. Did you get any good tips? Trying to figure out how to see any replies you may have received...
  • sgraciasgracia Member Posts: 1
    Hello we have enjoyed our '97 JGC except from time to time the engine dies. Prior to last Monday, it had always been upon coming to a stop or going very slow. Last Monday it died at 70mph. Restart is alwasy successful, but the "co-pilot" tool cannot detect the problem. I have change the crank sensor and still the same problem, dies whenever and where ever and always restart very easy.. I need help please.. have anyone have this same problem
  • yjpaulyjpaul Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the site and have been reading most of your messages, but I may have missed my problem/solution. My JGC takes about 10-20 minutes to start some mornings, mostly when it rains. It cranks,sputters,chugs,and dies. When it does start, it runs like nothing was ever wrong. I've sealed all ignition parts with di-electric grease and replaced cap,rotor,plugs,and wires. After it is warm it still starts hard, but much better. There are no engine lights or problem indicators. Fuel? ECM?
  • bruceb04bruceb04 Member Posts: 1
    I'm confused with the maintenance necessary for the front and rear axles. The dealer recommends draining and refilling the axles every 12,000 miles (for a hefty $180), while three independent shops (Strauss, Firestone & Goodyear) have never heard of such and say it is not necessary. In the owners manual, the normal driving maintenance schedule "A" has no mention of this requirement for the entire life of the vehicle. It is only in the severe maintenance schedule "B" (severe hot or cold driving conditions, towing, off-road, commercial service) that this is recommended every 12,000 miles. The dealer is saying follow B even though my driving meets the standard for an A schedule. I want to do what is right for the vehicle, but I don't want to get charged for unnecessary maintenance. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?
  • johncdnrockiesjohncdnrockies Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for the suggestion to go with replacing all 4 tires. I will follow it as it makes sense and I can always reuse them when we buy another rig in a couple of years. Those 10 plys last forever - even when I drop the pressure a bit to make them ride smoother.
  • catlettcatlett Member Posts: 1
    I am having a similar door lock problem - The rear left electric door lock makes a screeching noise when locked electrically and doesn't lock as the others do. But it unlocks electrically. I am told this is common. Anyone else have the problem and know a fix?
  • darryl2darryl2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 lorado 2.5td and I cannot get the tail gate open with the handle has any one no how to undo it from the inside
  • jeeps2jeeps2 Member Posts: 45
    Just a idea, I had the same problem with my 96 GC. First try pushing in on the tailgate as you lift the handle. If it doesn't work, try to flush out with water around the area of the handle. That seemed to work for me. After I got it to open, I used some 10w40 to lube the latch. Haven't had a problem since. Hope this helps.
  • mn_drewmn_drew Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 JGC Limited. I am having a problem with the climate control. The drivers side works fine, but the passenger side is not working correctly. No matter how warm the engine temp is, no matter how high I turn up the passenger side heat, it blows cold air. The fan seems to be working, it blows more cold air as I turn the fan higher. The defroster blows cold air as well. Has anybody seen this problem before? Or, know what is causing it? The dealer wants $85 just to look at it. I don't want to spend $85 for something that is a quick fix. Plus I want to know what the problem is, if and when I do take it to the dealer. Thanks for any help with this matter.
    The symptoms as you've described them lead me to believe that your problem is associated with what is called the Blend Door. Many JGC Limited's that are equipped with the Automatic Climate Control have this problem. My '02 Overland was doing the exact same thing. I was out of about $300 parts and labor to get mine fixed.
  • cgdunahughcgdunahugh Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 JGC, I have the radio/cd player go bad and the dealer replaced it "Three" times. It is now out of warranty and....you guessed it , it has gone bad again and they won't replace it. I can't get DimelerChrysler to tell me anything about the radio/cd players. Has anyone had this problem? I hate to spend money to replace the cd player if there is something making them go bad or is Jeep just using inferior products in their vehicles!
  • seismicdivaseismicdiva Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The automatic transmission shift lever keeps coming loose. I called AAA to tow me since the car would not crank over at all.The guy who came out went under the car directly under the shifter and said the bolt needed to be tightened and that something had slipped off. Does anyone know the name of the part I'm referring to? I went under the car with the guy to see what he was doing but when I got home I couldn't find it. I'd like to be able to tell my auto shop what to look for. Thanks.
  • coldnaturecoldnature Member Posts: 3
    I too am wondering about the maintenance schedule on the axles. If I had to choose a schedule, I guess I would choose B because of stop and go driving. But I don't tow often or do much off roading so I figured I would just do it once a year which would be 20-25k miles for me. It seems simple enough to do myself in the garage.

Has anyone else done this? I was thinking I would drain the oil by using a "sucker", it's shaped like a giant needle with a rubber hose on the end of it. Stick that in the fill hole, suck it out, replace it with new, shouldn't cost more than $20 for the oil? That's how we used to change the oil in gearboxes on farm equipment.
  • timdogtimdog Member Posts: 3
    In the morning after sitting out all night the car usually starts up OK. If I Drive it for a short period (say 20 minutes), then shut it down, and then start it right back up (after only a few minutes) it usually starts up OK. But if you shut it down and it sits for about 1.25 to 1.5 hours and then you try to start it, the starter will crank but the engine won't fire up. If you leave it sit for about 2.5 to 3.0 hours and then try it, then it usually starts right up. I replaced the crank sensor and pick up and it didn't help. Though that did take care of the problem of the car dying while driving it.
  • owen1owen1 Member Posts: 1
    It seems that when my 97 Cherokee is standing still (but engine running) the radiator cooling fan cycles on and off several times a minute.....is this a common occurrence or is the thermostat messed up.....????
  • matt32matt32 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 96' JGC and when i start it, it fires right up but when i start to drive it and take my foot off the gas to brake it stalls and the lights go out. It will fire right up if i put it in neutral while im rolling but when the rpm's go below 1000 it dies on me. any ideas?...
  • buttercup3358buttercup3358 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a Jeep cherokee 2005, it was the DEMO car so it had about 4000 miles. About three weeks after I bought it started stalling. The car just dies all of the sudden, it seems like someone just turned the key in the off position. It has happened well over a dozen times but onlky once on the high way. I've taken the car to jeep but since it hasnt happened when they drive it they said that can't do anything about it. Any suggestion or ideas what it could be?
  • buttercup3358buttercup3358 Member Posts: 2
    I seem to have the same problem with my 2005 jgc. I've taken it back 4 times to the dealership and they cant figure out is going on. They said that the computer has no signs of anything being wrong. Last Sunday it happend to me ofr teh first time while I was on the HW going 65mph. I've also been looking for people with the smae problem
    have u found anything out about your jeep. my jeep will fire up in the morning where i live in montana. its like
    -10 in the morning but it starts up and i can drive it when its not warm and it runs fine but after it gets warmed up and i take my foot off the gas it just dies and everything shuts down. i tried checking all the battery stuff and a wire wass loose and it ran for a tiem bnut then died again so any ideas...
    the first ti
    Mines in the shop right now. If I find out anything, I'll be sure to post.
  • bob109bob109 Member Posts: 1
    car suddenly would not accelerate from stop..up stream o2 replaced 3 months go..am told down stream 02 went bad and as a result damaged cat converter..what do you think?..Is it possible the new up stream 02 went bad and caused the cat converter to go bad?
    does anyone konw where the mass air flow sensor is on a 96' JGC? i am having the hardest time finding it anywhere. any help would be awesome... :confuse:
  • trickstertrickster Member Posts: 113
    you have a faulty thermostat. replace it, and that should fix the problem.

I hope this helps you, and good luck m8.
    Your idea on the oil syphon is a good one, and go ahead and do that. Make sure you get the correct lubricant, as most of these differientials have different properties to them. Talk to your dealership about what type of diffs you have in front and rear, as you may need friction modifier for either the rear diff, or front diff. Most times, you can get after market lubricants from any auto parts store, but be wary, some differiential manufactures require that you use a specific brand, as these have "secret" properties to keep that differential in good working order.

i hope this helps you, and good luck m8.
    This sounds like a classic problem of the idle air control sensor. You may need to replace the sensor, or just clean the sensor, and the sensor hole where it mates to the throttle body. There are other posts that i have posted explaining this exact problem, and solution. Go check them out around late october, early november.

yes. But to be sure that you c.c is indeed bad, kick the c.c and listen for a rattle. If it rattles from inside, then it needs to be replaced.

• rcdualratercdualrate Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Quick and to the point..1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 152,000 miles. I suspect fuel pump. I half to turn key to on postion for at least 20+ second before fuel pumps kicks in. Checked fuses, relays seams o.k. After it does kick in I have no problem starting...until it sits for a while sometimes overnight or could be 30 mins. or 1 hour can you offer help ?
    New fuel filter, injet. cleaner no help.
    No problems until cold weather set in.
    Thanks
    Rc
  • sdunsonsdunson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Jeep Gr Cherokee LTD and am having the same problem as my co-worker who has the same year and model. It sounds like this blend door problem. Do you think there is a flaw in the part or just age of the part?
  • rho1rho1 Member Posts: 2
    My 98 GRAND CHEROKEE WAS HIT ON 11/26/05 LEFT FRONT IT IS BACK NOW ALL FIXED.MY INFO CENTER THAT DISPLAYS DIRECTION TEMP ETC IS NOW DISPLAYING JUST DIRECTIONS NOT THE TEMP IT LOOKS LIKE IT SAYS "OC" IN THE DISPLAY IS THERE A WAY TO RESET THIS? 98GRAND@COMCAST.NET
  • gemini5362gemini5362 Member Posts: 17
    My son has a 1990 jeep cherokee with a 4 cylinder. When he first starts the vehicle it runs very rough then after it warms up a bit will run fine. When he shuts it off and tries to restart it (warm start) sometimes he has to wait before it will start. It has died on him just like it was shut off while driving it a couple of times. I told him to try replacing the Fuel Pump relay but he doesn't know which relay it is. Does anyone know which relay is for the fuel pump
    i had the same problem with my 95 jgc. i had to take the liner off and attach a nut to the mechanism. it had slipped off so it wasn't pulling right when i pulled on the handle.
    it should be under the lid for the relays. or tell him to get a chiltons book.
  • naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    I am making notes here if I do mine again at 120,000 miles. My dealer cornered me to do it at 60,000 and with a coupon got that and transaxle (2nd time) done for $180. But your idea is good now that my Jeep Laredo I6 goes out of extended warranty Dec 21, she is 5 years old ! Stuff like this will get me to visit my small town mechanic who is a friend and charges about 1/3 dealer labor rate plus I can buy my own parts. Just hope nothing major goes wrong ... I maybe paid for the $800 the extended major coverage warranty cost me (ie, it was not just engine/drivetrain warr, maxcare?) with a few things the past 2 years after the 3/36 ran out, but in general it's been a pretty good vehicle to us, I'd rate quality a B-. Ask me in 2 more yrs!
  • rsloanrsloan Member Posts: 1
    What exactly is the brake light switch? Where do I find it? I have a 2000 Jeep GC that currently has no brake lights and I can't find that any of the fuses are blown. I am wondering what else it could be.
  • cntrvucntrvu Member Posts: 1
    Periodically this summer my 1995 Grand Cherokee would engage the security system. I would use the key in the tailgate to disengage the devise and drive on. Now I am in Baton Rouge on hurricane assignment and my wife is calling me telling me the Jeep is now constantly engaging the security system not allowing her to start the vehicle. While I know the Jeep misses me as much as my wife I am perplexed as to why the security engages. Is there an override? Has anyone else dealt with this problem and I am not referring to a mad spouse. The Jeep has almost 200,000 miles on it and has enjoyed the shelter of a garage, regular maintenance, etc. Any advice would be appreciated, Thank you.
  • sandman409sandman409 Member Posts: 1
    My 88' cherokee won't move when I place it in drive a/t,it will if I shift it manually. This happened about 6 years ago and I paid almost $1000 for repair. A friend of a friend who works at a Jeep dealership,parts dept. said it was a $54.00 part,which,I don't remember? any one have this problem or heard of it ? I dont have a thousand to fix it anymore any help would be Greatly Appreciated
  • spblissspbliss Member Posts: 1
    The "blend door problem" that many '01 LTD owners are experiencing is caused by the age of the parts. The blend doors on this model are made of plastic. Therefore, when you use the heater they heat up extremely fast, and once the heat is turned off cool down at a fast rate too. Moreover, since the parts are plastic and have fast heating/cooling rates the parts continue to expand over time and remain expanded-- wear and tear.
    You've got the tailights out when brakes applied problem. They usually are on with headlights but go out when brake pedal pushed. The problem is the circuitry for the taillights, which calls for new ones to be installed because at the current time there is no fix for the circuit when it goes out. I had the same problem on my '02 Overland.

I repeatedly changed out the bulb sockets but that only worked for a day. The lights are about $150 a pop at the dealer. I went to eBAY and got some clear taillights $68 for the set and they're better than OEM models because the internals are built better.
  • mario1296mario1296 Member Posts: 1
    Most likely, your multi-function switch is the cause of the problem. This is the switch on the side of the steering column that turns the headlights on and off. You can have it replaced at a dealership, or you can just stop leaving the 'auto' feature on.
  • janprejanpre Member Posts: 4
    Our ' 02 JGC is coming off lease and we went to test drive a new JGC today. The dealer, of course is steering us to the leftover '05's and to be honest, we don't like it. We never got to see the '06 and were wondering if the design is the same as the '05. The few things we found that we didn't like was the gear shift. The salesman explained it was re-designed to be more like a stick shift. Neither one of us drives or wants to drive a stick and we both found the re-design annoying to have to keep shifting to be sure you are in drive.

I found there were a lot of blind spots on this model, the most noticeable being the left side of the windshield. I found that handle jutted out so far it took up some windshield space so I found myself almost looking out the side window around it. Also, I thought the back seats were higher and I felt as though I were looking through a narrow space when I had to turn around to back our of a space.

My husband thought the V6 had no power at all and right now we own a 2001 JGC and lease the 02 and both are V6 with plenty of power. When he complained about this the salesman pulled out a 2005 V8 and it did have more power but we were still not happy with the new changes.

I also noticed the bench seat in the back was not as deep as our other two and the seats also felt harder and not as comfy as our older ones.

The other change that I did not like was the knob you turn to change the side mirrors. I found it clumsy compared to the rocker switch on the older models.

As I said, we were never shown the 2006 model so we are not sure if all these things are the same.

Does anyone have either of thee models and if so, what is your opinion of them. Originally I was going to switch to the Liberty but we found it to be not as sturdy as the JGC. :confuse:

Anything else we should be aware of. We are going to go back and take another look at a different dealer this time.

Thanks for any help and opinions!
  • bob_grahambob_graham Member Posts: 63
    We have both a 2001 Grand Limited and a 2005 Grand Limited. Yes the seats are more firm more european like. We also have a Mercedes and prefer the firm support. The 05 is much more refine on the road. As far as the blind spots, this seems like a problem in many new designs. We ordered ours with backup sensors and they work great, you may wish to find one with this option. As far as problems, we have had zero. Our 05 has every option except for the rear DVD entertainment system which is really of no value in the Jeep. The engine is the 5.7 Hemi which has plenty of power and gets the same mileage as the 4.7 in our 2001. Both are good rides however I think the 05 is much more refine and a better cruiser on the highway. The 2001 was coming off lease and out bank took off $4000 on the buyout since they did not want it back. So I bought the 2001 for my daughter this 01 Limited with all options for $13,600. The 05 was a purchase since 48 month loan was such a great deal with rebates.

The 05 and 06 are pretty much the same except they have added the Overland and SRT models.

Last note -yes we do drive them off road in the mountains of Northern California. If you do not go off road then maybe you should consider the Lexus RX 330.

Hope this helps.
  • janprejanpre Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for your reply and suggestion. We have been going back and forth trying to decide what to do. I guess we were just so surprised at the total change in the Jeep. We are thinking of going for another test drive and making our decision then.
  • dagoods25dagoods25 Member Posts: 13
    I also have an 05 limited JGC. The blind spots are a problem in the beginning, but you learn to see around them. The seats will "break in". My drivers seat was hard at first, but it has molded since then. We have the 04 model as well but the 05 is the much smoother ride. The only problems thus far have been water infiltration to the transmission (see earlier posts). If you ask the dealer about this, they can easily fix the problem at no charge. I have a 4.7 V8 and it has plenty of power. The gas milage will be better than GMC or chevy too.
    The brake light switch is located at the brake pedal, and works in relation to the pedal being pushed. This switch looks like a button(most times), that when activated, turns out your taillights, and turns on your brake lights.
    Now, JGC are very finnicky when it comes to tail light/ brake light/ back-up bulbs. Jeep has made it that you must replace these bulbs with factory equiptment, because only these bulbs have the correct resistances to the voltages required.

I would first start with changing all your brake/tail light bulbs with factory replacments,(don't forget the third/high brake light), if that is not your problem, then replace the brake switch. If neithier one of these solves your problem, then a trip to the dealership is in order.