Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• harsjeepharsjeep Member Posts: 5
    hi, i had recently purchased a 95 gcl and i am having the same problem, and the dealer has told me the same abt the viscous cup,. i was wondering if you ever had the problem solved and what was causing the problem. thanks much . :confuse:
  • joebob2joebob2 Member Posts: 2
    looking at a 1993 sporty to buy has 278k on the milage...seeking advice on whether motor will last much longer
  • kandel22kandel22 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I just leased a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee last August 2005 and in November 2005 it stalled on me as I approached a light. I thought it was me and ignored it until it happened again a few weeks later. This time I was approaching a light as well. I had it towed to the dealer as they said it was "unsafe" to drive. There, they replaced the O2 sensor. Well, in December I noticed a "Service 4WD System" come on and called the dealer where they said if it happened again bring it in, it was probably just a computer "glich". Just last week, it stalled on me again while I was approaching a Stop sign. I brought the Jeep in to my dealer and they could not find anything wrong with it. Any help?
  • dixiecrawlerdixiecrawler Member Posts: 89
    Give us some specifics to go on, like what motor is in it and is it two or four wheel drive. I'm assuming you're talking about a Jeep Cherokee Sport and not a Grand Cherokee. - dixiecrawler
  • kandel22kandel22 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry about that...Yes, it is a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sport. 4WD, 8 Cy
  • joebob2joebob2 Member Posts: 2
    straight six 4wd 2dr cherokee sport 1993
  • wanda3wanda3 Member Posts: 2
    It turned out to be the cranksaft sensor had gone bad and that was causing mine to stall. It was replaced and has been running fine. I was not getting any codes to tell me it was not working properly and as soon as it was replaced, it started right up. As far as the miss goes, we looked under the hood at night and the "new" wires were sparking everywhere. Now its as good as new. Hope this helps.
  • hpaulsmithhpaulsmith Member Posts: 1
    Several times when my daughter has entered an intersection to turn, she has be unable to turn the steering wheel and there was no responce from the accelerator. The displays stay on and the dealer says that there is not a stall code in the computer. I am very concerned for her safety. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • nhwrenchnhwrench Member Posts: 1
    ball joints could be too tight from rust.try seperating tie rod and turn spindle from side to side,if one side turns much easier than the other,check your ball joints and front axle universal joints.if no problem found,check what the alignment specs were after the alignment.for a pull problem to the right,caster on the right front should be 1.0to 1.5 more positive than the left front,while camber and toe should be about the same on both sides.good luck.
  • bernr1bernr1 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 grand cherokee. When I first bought the vehicle the dealership agreed to repair the brakes just after the warranty ended. I have replaced pads about once per year and last year replaced the rotors. In less than a year they started wobbling again. I have read many issues regarding this problem and I agree with everyone else. Jeep chooses to ignore that it is a problem. Also, I did get the same deal about my braking habits.

I love my Jeep, I love it's body style and performance. Though, with the new body style I can't see myself buying another one.

I have driven both Dodge Durango's, Mercury Mountaineer and Mitsubishi Endeavor within the last two years. I get out of them realizing just how bad the Jeeps brakes are. My stopping distance is more than double either of these three vehicles. Even with new pads/rotors the stopping distance on the Jeep was long. It only gets worse as I drive on them. I live in the mountains I have to go up and down hills. I try not to break and instead down shift to a lower gear this does not help. The breaks still go bad every year.
  • cblue2cblue2 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - V8 automatic, 4x2. It currently has 5k miles. Here are the problems:

- Stalls from time to time when idling - usually pretty soon after it has started up, and when the engine is cold (when it has been sitting for a couple hours). This has happened probably 6 times since I have owned the vehicle and I bought it new.
    - The drivers’ side carpet gets really wet. There is no rhyme or reason for this one. The wetness is located just inside the door frame, but it gets better than half of the carpet wet. This issue has been apparent since I purchased the vehicle. This occurs in wet or dry weather, a/c is usually on all the time. I thought the carpet was dirty because someone got in with dirty feet and wet because it had been raining. Crazy me!

I took the vehicle to the dealership – Ferman, on Kennedy in Tampa, and they informed me that they could find nothing wrong with the vehicle. I currently have the vehicle at another dealership to see if they can solve the problem. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced these problems, and if so will you offer some guidance? Thanks.
  • traceyctraceyc Member Posts: 1
    I took my Grand Cherokee (2000) in for a tuneup and ever since I am getting about 11-12 mpg. Before the tuneup I was getting 16 or so. I have taken it back to two different places and both say the diagnostics are perfect and there's nothing wrong with it and have no suggestions for why the gas mileage is worse now. Has anybody else experienced this?
  • weeezzzyyyweeezzzyyy Member Posts: 3
    for your stalling problem you might want to check your fuel injector or have someone check it out. youd be better off to have a buddy that knows about cars. computers dont always catch the small stuff.

and with your wet carpet, running the a/c all the time might be your problem. when an a/c runs, it needs to evaporate the heat, hence causing water, i know in my 2000 my drain line was ran inside but it was on my passenger side. the thing to do is to take off your door sill, note sill not seal and then take off the other plastic piece that is along the side. dont worry they snap right off and right back on and there should be a hose. if its not there it should be on the passenger side. it maybe a cut in the drain line as well and its leaking to the drivers side. i believe the condensor is on the drivers side and the evaporator is on the passenger.
  • weeezzzyyyweeezzzyyy Member Posts: 3
    diagnostics, must be computers?? if you have any friends that know anything about cars, have them check out your spark plugs or your 02 sensors. there might be a leak in your air intake also. tighten all clamps down if you can by yourself.
  • andeaandea Member Posts: 2
    Good afternoon, i am a proud owner of a 2001 Jeep GCL and I seriously need new tires. The problem I have found is that because I am a , most sales people play me for dumb! I have even had one "gentleman" (for lack of a better word) tell me my rim size was a 16 and it is actually a 17-even I knew that. However, what I need help with is: I currently have 235/65/17's, but I am wanting a larger tire that will fill up more of the wheel well without putting any type of a lift and I am not sure what size I can go up to SAFELY!? Any suggestions at this point would be helpful.

Hopeless in Kansas! :confuse:
  • mattdianomattdiano Member Posts: 1
    I just inherited a 1988 Grand Cherokee in great shape, but the steering wheel column is very loose. Can anyone give me some ideas on what to do about this? Thanks in advance!!
  • hornet2hornet2 Member Posts: 11
    I've posted on this site several times because of a steering problem that I can't get rid of. The advice and help I've received has been outstanding, and I thank all of you who have offered it.
    Today I noticed something on my Jeep that could be the culprit of all my troubles. How I missed it I'll never know, but I have a cross member,(at least that's what I think it's called) that is located under the tranny on the forward half of the car, that is bent. I've never noticed it before. I've got a 94 JGC that pulls slightly to the right. Could this be the cause of my problems? Please say yes! How it got bent is not known. No rough driving of any sort. I suppose it could be age, but...
    Any replies will be appreciated!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Doesn't sound like your problem unless you also struck a steering arm or front suspension component.
  • jeeps2jeeps2 Member Posts: 45
    Andea, Good afternoon, I think you would be happy with a set of 255/70/17's. They will fill the wheel wells up nice. I have a set of BFGoodrich T/A on my jeep, and really like them. Good luck. :)
  • andeaandea Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for your help "jeeps2" I truly appreciate it! I will let you know how my shopping goes and what tires I end up with. Have a great day.... ;)
  • mayo2mayo2 Member Posts: 1
    my security system now seems to have a mind of its own
    is there any easy to get rid of this nuisance

what happens is my security system occasionally will come on and drain my battery and i have to jump start the car
    most of the time i can prevent this by turning the door key
    first to the left and then lock it by turning it twice to the right, but not all of the time, especially when it is cold

i have had my battery, starter, alternator etc checked and it is definitely the security system that is doing this

any suggestions
    i want this thing removed without having to pay someone $$$ to do it
  • shirt1shirt1 Member Posts: 1
    Andrea....
    I wanted the same thing and got it. Go to a tire store; Discount, Big-O, Les Schwab, Pep Boys...tell them what you want and they will fit the tire properly into the wheel well without it rubbing. Don't forget that you have to take into account turning tight corners and such so the tire cannot be too big or it'll scrape. They will also set you up with the best tire for your driving conditions...no need in having a heavy duty mud and snow tire if you drive in the city...it'll just be too noisy. :shades:
  • orbeckorbeck Member Posts: 2
    Have a big short that drains new battery overnight. If I pull the "ignition off draw (iod)" circ brkr (#15 20 amp) short goes away, no battery drain. What is IOD? Is it always hot circuit? Can I get wiring diagram for circuit? hose and where? Would it not run my interior lights fuse also (possible short here too).
  • bripa3bripa3 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 JGCL and I first noticed that my left break light was out. I changed the bulb and fuse. Now when I turn on my lights the break lights stay on and when I hit the breaks the lights do not become brighter. With the lights off, the break lights don't work at all, and the fuse keeps blowing. Can anyone give any info. on this problem??? Thanks in advance!!!
  • hornet2hornet2 Member Posts: 11
    I'm in the process of replacing all of my control arm bushings. Both lower's are done and reinstalled. The reinstallation of the upper's is giving me some trouble. The holes for the bolts don't seem to line up, thus, preventing me from reattaching them. Anybody have any advice?
  • harsjeepharsjeep Member Posts: 5
    I have posted on here a few weeks ago about a problem with the 4x4 system in my newly acquired 95 jeep gcl. Does anyone have any info they can share with me on these problems? :confuse:

I just recently bought a 95 jeep GC. I love this thing but quickly found a bunch of problems that have been discussed here. I took her to my local jeep dealer to find out they want to charge me over 4,000, bux to fix everything. like: rear needs to be rebuilt, viscous cup needs to be replaced, steering box is leaking, motor mounts are bad, and needs a trailing arm :cry:
  • lukesjgclukesjgc Member Posts: 5
    It doesn't look as though there is any difference between the limited and laredo headlights. I would ASSUME that you could use the same lights. My water pump doesn't seem to be the problem. There is no leak and the jeep runs cool as long as I am moving. Any other suggestions?
  • tst58tst58 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee with 60,000 miles. It has had the caliper upgrade and 8 sets of rotors. Every 8-12,000 miles it needs the rotors turned or replaced. Has anyone tried Brembo 4 piston calipers as a solution to this problem? I have read all the posts and have done all the things that have been suggested and the problem still exists. It only takes about .001 to smooth the brakes but then it returns in less than 10,000 miles. Anyone got any ideas? TST58
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    My '01 Laredo was doing the same exact thing. I stopped at red lights, and the temp hand would move into the "dangerous" side of the column, but as long as I was moving the temp would stay normal. Turned out to be the cooling fan. Altho yours may spin, it may no spin fast enough, as was the case with mine. I thought first to replace the relay, that didn't work. So I ended up replacing the whole fan assembly(you can't just get the motor as they're integrated).

You can find the cooling fan cheap on E-bay, or spend about $370 at the dealer.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    The 99-04 JGC was notorious for having brake light problems. The reason why the fuse repeatedly blows is the light is drawing to much current.

There is no known way of fixing light, so I ended up replacing mine on my '01 JGC. The light circuitry is prone to having problems. And at the dealer, the lights are $150 a pop, so I went on E-Bay and got a set for $60.
  • oldman59oldman59 Member Posts: 8
    http://www.wjjeeps.com/jmenu.htm Here is a site that may help you out Dale
  • bripa3bripa3 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks!!!
  • rioux15rioux15 Member Posts: 1
    We have an '87 Jeep, and we can't get the hood latch inside the car to release the hood. We have about an inch of play in the hood release lever. Any suggestions?
  • scorpa578scorpa578 Member Posts: 3
    Having trouble with lights flashing on and off while underway... figured it could be the "Turn Signal Switch" any clue how long it would take to replace this? And had anyone heard of this problem before? Also have an idiot light that came on that says "Low Ash" and clues???
    thanks!! :P
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I had a '99 Laredo and traded on a '00 Laredo. Both had problems. Before the TSB came out recommending the new calipers, etc. I replaced the factory rotors with the basic ones available from Autozone...less than $100 for the pair. (This was after D/C and the 5 Star dealer would not help me out, 14,000 miles before the problem showed up on the '00.) Rotors still doing great when we traded it over 50,000 miles later.
    Look underneath the dash and locate the hood latch release cable. I've had the problem before, even though it wasn't a Jeep vehicle, where I also couldn't 'pop' the hood. Turned out that after looking under the dash to trace the cable I found that the pull lever or handle had come out of its mounting bracket which allowed me to pull the cable, but the bracket wasn't holding the cable sleeve stationary. When the sleeve is held in place, the cable is all that is pulled which then does what it's supposed to do. Maybe that'll help you out, but if that's not it, maybe your under dash inspection will reveal what is the problem. Let us know how it goes. - dixiecrawler
    Sorry it took so long to get back to this! If you still need to know, the 4.0 inline six is a great motor. If the oil and other fluids have been changed as they should have, that engine should have some life left to give. If it has been driven hard and hung up wet, so to speak, it could be a different story. Ask how long the current owner has had it and also what type of driving they did in it. Are they all highway miles? If so, that could be a good thing. Check the fluids carefully. Make sure the oil isn't pitch black or even milky or white. Pitch black, definitely overdue for an oil change. Milky or white, water in oil from either blown head gasket or cracked head. The cracked head can cost you as much as you're paying for the truck. Listen to it run. If you hear a little valve knocking, that's just what these motors do. If it's more than just a little, I'd steer clear unless you're getting this thing dirt cheap!
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    Help! I have a 2000 Grand Laredo. My oil pressure guage is really high, out of it's normal range when idling and driving. Nearly hit 80 on the pressure guage. Does anyone know what the problem maybe? The oil level is fine. The oil weight has been the same since I used the same weight since I first bought the vehicle 6 years ago. My car has about 81k miles. Anyone have a similiar problem before?

FYI... My brakes sucks as well. Warp rotors every 10k. Has anyone tried buying third party calipers to see if that fixes the problem? It seems like the braking system on the Jeep only brakes on the front two wheels. Since my rear wheels are still in their virgin rotors and pad.
  • mrbpromrbpro Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 jeep grand cherokee, and the radio and switchgear above it gets, what seems to me to be too hot. anyone know about this? is this normal? there is no fire or smoke or smell but it is far hotter to the touch than what seems normal.
  • kine97kine97 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 JGCLaredo's (75,000 miles on vehicle) transmission has started acting up. It seems to be taking off in 3rd gear. It would hardly get out of it's own way when I tried to take off from a start.

Husband took it to have a computer diagnostic done and it said the error # 1762. The Governor Pressure Sensor.

He gave that Number to the Jeep Dealer parts dept. and bought the part...which was a Governor Pressure Solenoid. Hubby replaced the solenoid and fluid/filter. It did not fix the problem and husband now thinks he should replace the Governor Pressure Sensor too, but doesn't know the part #.

He is going to take it to the Jeep Dealership to have a scan run on it tomorrow.

Any help in this matter would be appreciated.
  • jmhilljmhill Member Posts: 1
    Hi there...I have a 98JGC LM 5.9 with front issues!
    This morning I had a flat tire and I had that changed(Right rear tire) with the same size tire as the other ones. It was fine until I got on the interstate. The Truck started pulling to the right and I could not get that much control of the car. I can go under 50 and it is ok. When I stop at a light, the front end almost is pushing down and makes a grinding noise. Any thoughts?? Something with the axle or bearings I believe? Any help would be awesome!
  • cassio1cassio1 Member Posts: 1
    It is 2006 and the same thing is happening to my 2000 JGC--can you tell me what the resolution was in your situation?

This is the 3rd time in 2 weeks that the radio and interior dash lights flicker and the brake and ABS warning lights stay on---and yes it has died after one of the episodes.

PLEASE HELP!
  • just_me103157just_me103157 Member Posts: 4
    I recently took my jeep into get the valve cover gaskets changed as it was leaking oil. They degreased the engine to check out to see if the seals were okay. I get it home and after sitting for 8 hours, I get up for work and start it up and holy cow!!! She turned right over but shook like crazy trying to idle out. Coming to stops, when it idled down, it would vibrate some. Took it in again and it needed a new coil wire, plus distributor cap and rotor. Got into it this afternoon to run errands; started up and once again it shook like crazy trying to get idled up and white smoke coming out of her bad. Once she warms up it's not too bad, but it's not running like it should....Any suggestions as to what's going on? :cry:
  • cheesewheatcheesewheat Member Posts: 1
    I started looking at 2006 Commanders saw on Edmunds some major issues with them. Then started to look at 2006 Grand Cherokees this weekend came to Edmunds to look at posting if there are any problems with the 2006 models and ran into your posting. My 2000 Jeep started having the same problem. The brake and ABS light came on then the odometer light and radio started to flicker. When I turned the car off all the guages simultaneously went to the far right 3 times. Took it to the mechanic and he could not reproduce the problem. The truck seemed to be fine if I did not have the radio on. Then this weekend same thing started again. This time with no radio on the truck does not start. I jumped it started right back up and as soon as I turned on the radio or the A/C it would die and the guages would go crazy. Trading the 2000 in but would love to know if you find out any thing on this problem.
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    Sounds like they were a little liberal spraying around the degreaser. The cap, rotor, and coil wire probably just got saturated from the degreaser. White smoke is a sign of water or coolant getting into the cylinders, usually caused by a bad head gasket. Check your oil dipstick for any signs of water or coolant. It sounds like they power blasted their degreaser into someplace they should not have. Check all entry points into the cylinders (aircleaner-throttlebody) to make sure they are dry.
  • blancogreat1blancogreat1 Member Posts: 1
    Have same stalling problem, same characteristics. Mechanic switched out the ignition coil, stopped stalling for about a week and then started again. He took that off and then switched out the Crank Pressure Sensor. I've heard that jeeps are notorious for this problem. Any how the sensor was switched and it made no difference. In the last 6 months it has had a tune-up, radiator and transmission flush, air filter, fuel filter and oil filters changed, and last but not least the fuel injectors were also serviced. After all of this, it still stalls. Have you tried anything different? I can't seem to figure it out.
  • ynot9696ynot9696 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2006 JGC Limited 4x4- and I also have a noise- not quite a pop- but more like if you had something sliding and bumping into the side of one of the storage trays. But it's coming from under the center front console? It's only 2 weeks old! What could this be- It's getting really annoying!
  • ray29ray29 Member Posts: 3
    I am having the same problem with my 2003 GCL.
    I can not get it fixed. Had back to the dealer 6 times and still no luck.
    Did you get it fixed?
    what was the problem if so?
    any help would be greatly appreciated
  • dslackdslack Member Posts: 1
    I also have a new 2006 JGC Limited 4WD. 3000 miles. A “Service 4 W-Drive System” Message keeps on showing up on the dash. First time it popped up I brought it in to be serviced. Service could not duplicate the problem, so they reset the computer, but I'm still having the same problem. I have a problem with lugging while driving 35-45 Mph. and a slight vibration in the stairing wheel starting about 55Mph. The service Rep. said that's normal for JGC.
  • jeepguy3jeepguy3 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a '99 JGC Laredo with the Infinity Gold stereo. I have noticed that occasionally the left rear speaker will start to make a static sound. I inquired about this problem at a audio-video store and they said that it was the amplifier on the speaker probably going out. I replaced the speaker and the problem still exists. The static is not affected by the volume, but rather by the stereo being on. If you turn up the volume the sound does not get louder. If you have any suggestions on how to fix this please reply. Thanks!