Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 70ss454_man70ss454_man Member Posts: 107
    My son is having a problem with the transmission, which the mechanic cant seem to figure out. starting about a week ago when shifted into reverse, it slammed into it. ever since then its slammed into every gear with the same amount of pressure. park, reverse, 1st through top gear. everything. the dealer said that he has no idea, because everything is operating fine, or looks as if it is. Strange?
    and ideas?
  • msjandminemsjandmine Member Posts: 5
    I know that my bank 1 sensor 2 (O2 sensor) needs to be replaced. but I was driving last Thursday and my car completely lost power-the RPM's completely shut down. The oil pressure went completely down. I coast to the side of the highway in the Texas heat during rush hour traffic-- :mad: My baby will try to start but will not start. It will try -I sounds like it would start like it has no fuel. But is has gas -the guy who looked at it says that it is getting no spark. Well he changed the ignition coil and it still will not start. Could this be a problem with the crankshaft sensor? If not are their any ideas as to what it could be? I need my baby back I miss her..... :cry:
  • ptech2005ptech2005 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 jeep GCL and had the same problem. It indeed was the crank shaft sensor. It died in a gas station parking lot. I had shut it off to get gas, and when I tried to start it, it would almost start, stall and then I would have to try again, and this went on and on. Finally I called the wrecker. The shop fixed it in no time flat and since then I have had no issues like that. Hope This helps. :shades:
  • dialupuserdialupuser Member Posts: 1
    Everytime I stop and let off the brake, I can hear/feel some kind of rubbing or grinding coming from the rear left tire area...not too sure if its a brake or wheel problem or a transmission problem...it only happens right after I let off the brake and goes until I begin to accelerate a bit...any ideas??
    Thank you...It is going to the shop today and I hope to have my baby home tomorrow...... :)
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    I have to disagree with the comment on Japanese cars. On average I think you can expect much, much fewer headaches. They may burn rotors too, but they will burn at 100k miles not at 10k miles.

I have a '02 GC. It currently has 75K miles on it. I have changed rotors 3 or 4 times, I can't remember. The after market rotors lasted slightly longer, but I have also learned to live with the car shaking when I break hard so that extends their life. Kind of ridiculous though.

Speaking of ridiculous... replaced the differential at about 15k miles. Now at 75k miles the differential needs to be fixed again -- $1k. The shocks need to be replaced -- $500. The air conditioning and climate system costs $2k to fix. Of course I could also choose to just continue to sweat in hot weather. The rotors need to be replaced too if I want to actually have emergency breaking capabilities, which is kind of a nice "feature."

I loved the Jeep. It's a beautiful car, unbelievably comfortable, and unstoppable in the snow. It used to be really smooth to drive too. But now... it's gotta go and no more Jeeps for me. I drove 2 Acura's before the Jeep and I had zero problems with both of them. One of them went over 150k miles and almost 20 years with only maintenance items needed (I know because at 90k miles I sold it to a friend who drove it another 10 years).
  • srschrysrschry Member Posts: 4
    dan 12 your rotor issue is not a problem with jeep it is that who ever is servicing you wheels is over torqueing the wheel lug nuts causiing the rotors to warp. your rear diff problem is a dana problem you need to tell the dealer to set the carrier preload properly it is to tight usually take off .004" each side will dot the trick. the a/c issue will cost you, also have the mid case replaced there is a TSB for it other wise you will have no heat come the winter. you most likly do not have to have the shocks replaced. (i am a jeep tech for 20 years)
  • srschrysrschry Member Posts: 4
    does it feel like some one tapped your rear bumper if so depending on the year there is a driveshat updet or just remove and lube the splines
    Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I have had the dealer replace rotors and a private auto repair shop as well. The rotors lasted longer after the auto shop replaced them with 3rd party rotors. I guess I should ask about the lug nuts.

The problem I have is with the front diff. It makes a loud rumbling type of noise when I drive it. I was told at the shop that it would cost between $1k and $1.5k to fix.
  • hjayhjay Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem. Check the crankshaft or sensor? And see if it will start then. Mine too kept sound like it wanted to start but never did.
    H.Jay
  • hjayhjay Member Posts: 5
    Did you get any advice as to what to do? I have had similar problems. Like starting up runs rough. Then when putting in reverse after the morning startup it pause like its going to die out. Then going up the hill looses all power. When stopping at stoplight or stop sign the oil guage goes down close to zero. Then when I take off slowly goes back to 40. I have also notice that when it hot outside I have more problems with rough running and oil pressure going to zero and bucking for a while. Now heres the biggest thing after I park from having the first morning drive it tends to run better. And oh yea if you try to fix anything it will run smooth for a day or two and then the problem comes back with a vengenace. Almost forgot I have a JGCL 95. Does anyone have some suggestion? Should we write letter to Jeep Company or what?

H.Jay
  • soccermansoccerman Member Posts: 8
    I need to replace front brake pads. How do i find out if my Jeep has ATE or Akebono calipers?
    Also, any suggestions how much I should pay for reasonable replacement pads - quite a range of prices.
    My baby is FIXED!!! We changed the crankshaft position sensor and my baby runs....Thank you
  • mpzanottompzanotto Member Posts: 6
    Hi Tara, I saw your posting, I just bought a 2000 Grand Cherokke Laredo, I saved money to buy this car and I'm absolutelly happy....I love to drive this machine and enjoy the silent engine....well, people seems a little disapointed with their rides around here...Anyway enjoy your car.
    Mauricio :)
  • suzrmxsuzrmx Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1996 Cherokee--they sold it because the headlights weren't working. We changed the headlight switch and now have high beams but not low beams. I would really like to know how you solved the problem with yours.
  • countrygirl113countrygirl113 Member Posts: 7
    :confuse: :confuse: I have a 98 gcl i have had problems with it jerkin and stutterin like the crankshaft sensor is bad,I replaced the crankshaft sensor and it is still messin up,it starts fine has no problems except once in awhile it will act up while goin down the road like it's givin out of gas.The jeep dealership told me there is no fuel filter on it and i have replaced the fuel pump,one of the first tthings of many i have replaced.I love my Jeep and it has 200k miles on it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be?? thanks :sick:
  • redjeep91redjeep91 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for the lower shifter boot to fit a 1991 Cherokee Laredo, 5 speed. The boot I am looking for is the one UNDER the console that bolts to the floorboard. Can anyone tell me where I can find a new one?
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    Your problem sounds like the one I had, it turned out to be the PCM (powertrain control module). I also had the crankshaft sensor replaced but it made no difference. A rebuilt PCM cost me about $250 at Advance Auto Parts. The installation is rather easy and took about 15 minutes. The shop never was able to diagnose it because it happened so infrequently and quickly for them in the shop. Other than when the problem occurred, the Jeep would run perfect.
  • jeepowner3jeepowner3 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I too, have the same issues with the heater. It will only produce an ambient air temperature from both driver and passengers sides. IF you don't already know it is very common problem in 1999-2004 model Grand Cherokees has been weak blend and recirculation doors in the HVAC systems. The doors are turned by a motor attached to the bottom of the door at the end of a hinge shaft. The motor stops turning when there is enough physical resistance from the door stopping against its housing. This puts stress on the shaft/door junction and over time strips the shaft so that it spins almost independently of the door. The motor then experiences little resistance and keeps turning, which sends the "travel too large" code.
    Visit: http://www.wjjeeps.com/hvac_sub_assembly.htm
    Any way, I posted a formal complaint with the website you provided, thank you. I was just wondering if you have received any reply yet. If you think there is anyway we can get the dealer to pay for this please let me know. Have a good day
  • amz1600amz1600 Member Posts: 5
    Unfortunetly, I haven't received anything back from the government office or from Chrysler. I looked at the complaints on that government office website, and there are many complaints for each year of the vehicle from 1999-2004. I have tried calling the government office, but they didn't give me any information. I think the next step I am going to take is contacting one or two of the local television stations to let them know about the problem. I am hoping that this might get one of the television stations to do a report on this situation. As soon as I know anything, I will be sure to post!
    About the PCM would it not make the check engine light come on? My light has never came on even when the crankshaft sensor was bad.How do I find out if this part is bad?
  • ocean_shipperocean_shipper Member Posts: 70
    I have an '05 GC limited with Nav system. We have the original dvd that came with the vehicle, but believe that there must be an updated version. Anyone have any clue as to the most recent released nav DVD and if so, how much they cost?

Would appreciate any thoughts or assistance. Chuck
  • bob_grahambob_graham Member Posts: 63
    The most current DVD ends in "AE". There is a guy on EBAY that sells them or you can get them thru the dealer. If you have an early 05 it probably ends in AC.

You can also buy them direct from Navteq over the WEB.
  • mikerofonemikerofone Member Posts: 1
    The driver's seat on my Grand Cherokee Ltd (power seat) is wobbly/loose and the seat back is off kilter. But it still slides smoothly on the track leading me to believe the problem is where the seat frame attaches to the sliders. Any tips on how to access that area? Anyone encountered this problem?
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    Sorry for the delay, I haven't been on for a few days. My check engine light did not come on when the PCM went bad. That was part of what made it difficult to diagnose, I never had a light or any codes to check out.
  • emerick53emerick53 Member Posts: 2
    I have been watching this thread because I need to find out if my brakes calipers are ATE or Akebono also. Soccerman - have you found out yet? Can anyone else shed some light?

Thanks.
  • astomastom Member Posts: 3
    i have had the same problems ellenm1.im going to pick up my jgc tomorrow.they said they fixed the ignition control swith or whatever.thing is my truck has been in the shoppe for the prob about 10 times all they do is reset the codes that are stored and tell me they cant mimic the problem,anyone know here if this ignition swithc thing will fix the prob for good.
  • kkelley2007kkelley2007 Member Posts: 9
    I have been having the same issues. Mine was towed to the dealership Saturday and is still there. They are replacing the starter. I've had numerous visits where they have been unable to replicate the problem and there were no codes whatsoever. At other times, the codes were numerous but no actual mechanical problems were found. I've had a module replaced and that helped for awhile, but it's back to throwing out random codes again. This is the 16th time I have had this vehicle in the shop in less than 3 years. I could not, in good conscience, sell this vehicle to an individual on my own. I am very close to trading it in on something else. I'm not at all impressed with my local dealership and I am very disappointed in this vehicle. For a $42,000 sticker, the quality is certainly lacking.
  • bob_grahambob_graham Member Posts: 63
    Hello, I have a 05 Grand and it has started displaying the same "SERVICE 4WD SYSTEM" message. The dealer flashed the car per a service bulletin. Drove off and the next day the message appeared again. No one as a clue as to what this message means and how to fix the problem. Has anyone got tothe bottom of this?
  • chipcchipc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 GC Laredo and every time I shut it off I hear a clicking noise under the glove box. It goes away when I shut the door, so I looked at the fuses. After pulling fuse 5 (interior lighting) the clicking stopped. The power door locks don't work while the clicking is going on. I am still troubleshooting.
    well got my 05 jgc limited w/ hemi back yesterday from the dealership they said they replaced the ignition sensor,all seemed well for about a half an hour or so then BAM,it went again,all the onboard lights went on,tach was going up and down,odo was going from 0 to 20mph while i was rolling along at 45mph,engine reving and NOW SQUEALING,never did that before.every warning light on the thing was on.what do i do,where do i go from here, i bought the jgc from a jeep dealer with 13k on it,so it wasnt exactly brand new but its only at 32k now, still covered under warranty, do i have any lemon recourse,i live in ct,if anyone has a answer for me let me know.just cant believe i pay over 400 a month not to drive it,feel as though im being punished for something.HELP
    well got my 05 jgc limited w/ hemi back yesterday from the dealership they said they replaced the ignition sensor,all seemed well for about a half an hour or so then BAM,it went again,all the onboard lights went on,tach was going up and down,odo was going from 0 to 20mph while i was rolling along at 45mph,engine reving and NOW SQUEALING,never did that before.every warning light on the thing was on.what do i do,where do i go from here, i bought the jgc from a jeep dealer with 13k on it,so it wasnt exactly brand new but its only at 32k now, still covered under warranty, do i have any lemon recourse,i live in ct,if anyone has a answer for me let me know.just cant believe i pay over 400 a month not to drive it,feel as though im being punished for something.HELP
  • jared6891jared6891 Member Posts: 1
    I have got a similar problem with my 2000 JGCL,one day I was driving along and my JGC lost all power and then it came back and this happened a couple more times before i was on the side of the road unable to start it. After having it towed to the Chrysler dealer they told me that it was the main engine wiring harness and it was going to cost 3000.00 to fix, they gave me a short term solution and that was to clean up the connectors really well and secured them in place with electrical tape because the clips were broke. I am wondering if it is possible to fix the connectors and not the entire harness I want a more permanent fix.
  • banshee96banshee96 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 96 w/4.0 w/same problem. Dont know where sensor is located. Can you help?
  • vinniedeevinniedee Member Posts: 2
    the brake light switch is a little switch that is under the dash at the top of the brake pedal support. it has a small wire harness connected to it. it could be that in your case, it wasn't in mine. i have the same problem and today bought the brake switch ($20)and still no lights. good luck.

Vinnie
  • vinniedeevinniedee Member Posts: 2
    all of a sudden i have no brake lights at all. all three are out. i did the obvious and checked the bulbs, they are ok. i also changed the brake switch and that did not work. anyone know what the problem might be??????

Vinnie
  • jhuckjhuck Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2000 Grand and the same happened. The fix was buying the entire break light assembly. Apparently there is a "board" in there that burns out and you cannot buy the board alone. I checked with three dealerships and one parts place and my price ranged from $110 to $150. It pays to shop around on this one.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    have you checked if you have power to brake light switch?
    test lamps are cheep if you have power there then have someone push brake pedle down and see if have power to rear lamps (must have key on to see if working)
  • greymountaingreymountain Member Posts: 1
    '99 Cherokee 6cyl 4.0, need detailed instructions on replacing the water pump. Newbie here and mechanical klutz.

Lonnie
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    just get a hayen repair manual from your auto parts store for your jeep will learn how to change pump plus will have a readyn sorce of answers at your finger tips
  • vvaldezvvaldez Member Posts: 2
    ITS BEEN AWHILE, SORRY I NEVER TOLD YOU ALL MY END RESULT. I RELAYED INFO FROM THIS SITE TO JEEP DEALER REPAIR SHOP. GUESS WHAT? IT WAS THE PCM!!!!!!!!!
  • ajoelle76ajoelle76 Member Posts: 1
    i just had this same thing happen to me 3 days ago..we have a 1993 grand cherokee and it stalled while going 70 on highway and jerked right before it.. my battery gauge went to low and it wouldn't even over. in feburary we put in a new pcm and had to disconnect the ground going to the security system just to get it to start. now its happening all over again.. any suggestions? please email us ajoelle76@yahoo.com
  • gscoggingscoggin Member Posts: 1
    Have you checked your battery and connections? The JGC needs mega power even while you are driving. I had a simular situation, got a new battery and still had problems paid mechanics 3 times to fix problem and finally did it myself.
    One of the terminal connectors on mine is collapsing because someone tightened it so much it barely gets a good connection, but to get a new connector they said $600 or so. Now I just periodically (3-4 months) remove both connectors, clean the terminals, clean inside the connectors and put them back on, tighten as best I can.

Intermittantly my car still dies while idling or stopped once a month or so but never while driving. I'm thinking it might be combo battery connection and/or PCM??

>
    you would think out of all these people myself included that the jeep company would know about this site and ask us if there is anything they can do....i love my jeep but there seems to be alot of people that have problems with stalling out and acting the fool with them.......would they(the jeep company) not be concerned about it?? seems to be an ongoin problem with most of the jeeps......i do believe my problem is where i get gas at i can get it at a enmark or a shell station it dont act up but let me get it at a cheaper place because god knows gas is so high it acts the fool,my brother was ridin with me after i picked it up from the shop and it died while we were goin down the road,he said "its doin the same thing my truck does with cheap gas" so now i guess i will have to pay extra for better gas to keep it from acting up.....but then i guess the oil mongers will get my money whether i like it or not..... :cry::cry: :sick: i even tried the seafoam from the parts place to put in my tank it worked for a little while.i hope everyone has a nice day and hope they get their jeeps fixed.....thanks for reading and sorry for whining.......
  • southsidekcsouthsidekc Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking into a 2000 JGCL with 120K on it with the I6. Ive driven it and do not notice any whining from the transfer case and it seems to have no problems with window motor failure I've heard about. The brakes have some pulsations but I plan to put slotted and drilled rotors on to (hopefully) fix it. I'm curious if you guys know something else to look for. Otherwise this car seems to have not had any major problems. The cruise doesn't work but I bet thats a vacuum line thing. Thanks in advance. :confuse: :lemon: :confuse:
  • wpatterswpatters Member Posts: 54
    There are always something with any car...part of owning a mechanical beast. Word of caution on the rotors....only get the slotted since the rotors are floating they won't even sell slotted AND drilled rotors for my 93. I have slotted with ceramic pads and it works great. Maybe different with a 2000 since I only have disk in front. If you have disks on all four they maybe different.
  • snark1snark1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I've got a 03 Grand Cherokee with automatic trans. The transmission will not shift out of 1st or 2nd. If I really rev it, it will go to a higher gear but it's not working right. Must be some controller which talks between engine and tranny to tell it when to shift. Any ideas on analysis?
    You hit it pretty well. I have a 2000 JGCL V8 purchased brand new - so no blaming previous owners. I have replaced the rotors, window motors (regulators too), oil pump and oil pressure sensor ($18K!). My latest amazement was the break lights. I had to replace the entire assembly because of a board. I go through a battery a year but I have only bought one with an 18 month warranty. The interior isn't hanging together very well especally the center console. I am very picky on maintance and have a hard time with the Jeep because my other car is a '96 Honda Accord. Yes, I am the only owner on that one too and not a thing has broken ever. There will be no other Jeeps (or Chrysler) in my garage after this one is gone!
    Oh, make sure the radiator fan recall has been done. I had a ton of fun getting that one done.
    oh, I forgot the window motor. There is no warning. With the first one, we came out of the Georgia Aquarium and as soon as the passenger door was closed the glass dropped half way. The driver's side was suddenly at a fast food drive thru. The motor, cable, and radiator are welded together so no matter what breaks - you're buying all three.
    Yeah... I feel your pain. I had an '02 V8 HO that I traded in a week and a half ago. I didn't want to start pouring money into it. Too many problems and too much of a pain. Unexcusable for a 5 year old car.