Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cdrhicdrhi Member Posts: 2
    Bought this a year ago with only 40K miles. Great shape, everything works so far. I think I am having problems with the side mirror memory. It doesn't seem to remember the new setting after I set it or loses the setting. I think this fix has been discussed but can't locate the msg. Any help?
    thks
  • soosangsoosang Member Posts: 2
    i just bought a 95 laredo with 99k miles.
    overall it drives nicely, and the previous owner seems to have put a lot of work into the vehicle in the past 1.5 years. hopefully he got all the headaches, and i'll get relatively trouble-free driving for the next couple years.

a question: it does have a fairly rough idle. is this normal? just wondering.

soos
  • kkuligkkulig Member Posts: 150
    1) You didn't state what engine your 93 has, but regardless, you should be getting a lot better than 6.6 mpg. This can be reset anytime you choose. It's a combination of pressing and holding two of the buttons in the overhead console. It's been so long since I had my 93, I can't remember exactly how to do it. The newer JGC's are different. When you get your owner's manual, they'll describe how to do it in there.

2) 500 rpm is about normal idle. Again, without knowing the engine, the roughness could be caused by a couple of different things. I'm sure any Jeep dealer could diagnose the problem for you.

3) Before spending any money on this, check your rear tail lights and 3rd brake light closely. Make sure all 3 bulbs light-up in the 3rd brake light. Also check the sides of your tail lights... they use the small marker bulbs too. Any burned-out bulb will trigger the "rear lamp failure" warning. This is the usually the cause.

4) You could have a burned-out power window motor, or a problem with the door wiring harness... both problems were common. A decent mechanic or your Jeep dealer can diagnose which one is the real problem.

5) This is probably being caused by the viscous coupler in the transfer case going bad. It's no longer opening properly to let your wheel speed differentiate in a tighter turn. Again, this was a problem in the earlier JGC's. Unfortunately, it's not a cheap repair.
  • akroegerakroeger Member Posts: 16
    My friend recently had his Jeep GC at the dealer for the brake TSB and was discussing the purchase of roof rack cross rails with a dealer rep. He was advised to hold off on buying them. There's a rumor that the DC folks have received so many complaints about the missing crossrails on the '02 models that they are considering providing the rails to all '02 buyers free of charge. Can anyone else substantiate this rumor?

If this is true, it will go a long way toward restoring my faith in the DC team. Maybe they really DO listen to us. When you think about it, for $35,000, we've already paid for the rails... now maybe we'll actually get the rest of the Jeep!!
  • sandyrichsandyrich Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (six cylinder) new in October 1998. This was my fourth Jeep (CJ7, Wrangler, Cherokee and then this Grand Cherokee) and my ownership experience with the brand had been positive. Unfortunately, this has not been the case with this vehicle. I have spent over $9,300 on repairs alone. This does not include just under $4,000 of regular maintenance. I have driven this vehicle a lot of miles (for owning it only four years) traveling around the United States and Canada. It has approx 114,000 miles. All of my problems occurred after 46,000 miles. They included having to replace the rear differential bearings twice and the entire engine once. Other repairs included steering tie rods, oil leaks with transmission and transfer case seals, a door module switch that controlled the power window and other miscellaneous items. I will continue to own it because the new engine has a three year, 36000 mile warranty. However,I would not recommend purchasing a 1998 or earlier Jeep Grand Cherokee.
  • weeb35weeb35 Member Posts: 10
    My Jeep has until recently been running great.. However, I started to notice it was having difficulty shifting between 35 and 40 mph.. it would continue to increase in RPMs before shifting.. I brought it to the mechanics and he tighten the detent?? cable.. it still acts up and now the shifts aren't as smooth...I have also noticed a new noise under the car.. drive tran??? thud/clank type... anyone else with this shifting problem?
  • lgf1711lgf1711 Member Posts: 1
    Have had driver side seat replaced after one year, could not locate why no heat, now I am experience both seats with no heat, this seems to be intermittent, had in shop yesterday told me I need to have seat covers replaced $710, told Service to hold off, wanted second opinion. Was also telling me that when one seat goes out both go, find this hard to believe since this was not the case when original seat was replaced.
    I brought Jeep home, and that same evening after being in shop both seats started working wonderfully, actually driver seat may have been too warm, but now when I tried to use power outlet to charge cell phone, both front outlets will not come on. After I stopped and went into store later that evening, when returned and wanted to warm seats up, NOTHING....NO HEAT AGAIN
    Do have Jeep scheduled for "Second Opinion" will update for all after Evaluation.

Per one bulletin I read that if the '99 JGC was built before Nov.17 1998 there is a Heated Seat Repair Kit (05019769AA) can anyone give me more info. on this. Also how would I know if I have Carbon Fiber Heating Elements, which I also read states NO REPAIR, REPLACEMENT OF SEAT COVERS ONLY.
  • rnallison01rnallison01 Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if anyone else is having problems with their paint? I own a 2000 JGC Laredo, V-6. The paint on the hood is bubbling up in several areas. Now I started to notice it on the doors as well. The dealer told me it was from bird droppings or something hitting the car. I find it hard to believe. I keep the car in the garage and wash and wax it frequently. Anyone else having this problem?
  • falcon17falcon17 Member Posts: 1
    2001 JGC; 21700 miles, V-8; 2 wheel drive
    About two weeks ago my wife noticed a "fluttering" sound coming form the rear end. We took the Jeep to the dealer who said there was a problem with the differential and that it would be repaired under warranty. Two days later the service rep called and said that there was water in the differential that had apparently entered through the "vent tubes". He said that the Jeep must have been overly submerged in water and therefore the $800 repair was not covered by warranty. We do not have a boat and do not drive off road. The car is my wife's who uses it to go back and forth to work and for shopping. There must be some other defect that allowed water to get into the differential. We did not submerge the vehicle. Anyone else have a problem like this?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Now I started to notice it on the doors as well.

That would be a pretty strong indication that it is not caused by birds. The probability of a hit on vertical surfaces is tiny compared with horizontal surfaces.

tidester, host
  • triglav54triglav54 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 01 JGC with only 48.5K miles, tranny started acting up on Christmas Eve, Got car to local Dealer on 12/27, was told needed total tranny reconditioning, to the tune of $1750. of course with the 01 only 3yr,36K. Has anyone else had same problem? and has DC helped out in anyway?
  • rdaiglerdaigle Member Posts: 2
    I have a '99 Grand Cherokee- when I'm driving at highway speeds I notice a lot of noise sometimes (depending on the wind direction) coming from the side windows. At first I thought it was air coming in from the windows so I brought it to the dealership - the seals were fine, no air leakage. It turns out the problem is in the design of the outside rear view mirrors. Wind shoots between the mirror housing and the side of the car/window and makes the noise. I experimented by wedging a tennis ball in the gap and the noise was significantly reduced. I'm looking for a permanent fix though - any suggestions?
  • oxx93oxx93 Member Posts: 67
    Just noticed a whine or whistle noise when I first start driving the Jeep. I have an 02 LTD. and it is only on my initial acceleration, nothing after that. Also have noticed that when the doors lock automatically that there in now a beeping noise that I never heard before. Anyone else notice these things? Thanks for your feedback.
  • tommyv2tommyv2 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 GC Ltd. Tranny went at 34,000 mi. Snuck it in under the warranty period but it took my dealership 2 weeks to get approval from Chrysler to replace. my factory warranty runs out in 200 miles and I have an appoint. to buy the extended . . . .
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    It looks like it will come in handy.
  • xrtxrt Member Posts: 4
    I made regrettable mistake by leasing a 2001 Jeep grand Cherokee. 2000 miles on the car and my problems started. The serpentine belt went bad and need to be replaced, the tensioner was replaced, there is a bad paint job on the door( small bubbles), the side mirrors were replaced, the brakes calibers were replaced two times, the steering column was replaced, the brake pedal was replaced and I am now hearing and feeling abnormality in the transmission. The car is only one year old.
    The most annoying experiences are the dealing with the dealership to fix the problem. You never can get the problem taken care of from the first time. You have to dedicate your time and effort to going back and forth to them to prove to them that there is a problem and you would like it to be taken care of and you will always get the response " can not duplicate at this time". It is a real treat and an utter joke dealing with these people who are the epitome of incompetence.
    The real disappointment is dealing with Chrysler Corporation and its customer service, whom I think orbit on a different planet altogether.
    My recommendation to Chrysler is to create what is called " quality control department"..They ought to try try it...it can help keep customer coming back and for the rest of us. We also need to take those consumer reports seriously.... they have important information which can save us from mistakes like that.
    incompetence is only surpassed by the engineer that designs and specifies the parts to be used as well as the upper management that puts pressure on the middle and lower level managers to cut cost to the bone so that CEO's can get their fat bonus and still keep their product at a very low price. Unfortunately, they know the American market all too well. Most Americans will buy based on initial price and not worry about what the longevity or reliability of the product will be. Look at how much Wal-Mart sells and their policy of insisting on the lowest price of anything they sell. Do you know how they squeeze their suppliers for price cuts? I suspect Chrysler does the same thing to the point that the supplier cuts quality until his price is where Chrysler wants it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yeah, but you can return stuff to Wal-Mart :-)

Have you tried going up the chain to "zone reps" or whatever DC calls them, Xrt?

Steve, Host
    tidester,
    The only birds that have caused the bad paint on your jeep are the ones at Chrysler Corporation. Also, if somebody tells you that this is caused by birds dropping you can rest assure that this person have and IQ of a chicken wing ... if any at all. I can't believe the theories and excuses that these people keep coming up with just to run away from their responsibilities towards their products and admitting that there are problems to be adressed and fixed.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...if somebody tells you that this is caused by birds dropping you can rest assure that this person have and IQ of a chicken wing...

There really is no need to insult chickens! ;-)

tidester, host
  • jonezzwjjonezzwj Member Posts: 1
    Hello All... I'm new to the discussion and looking for some wisdom/experience regarding a rough idle concern. I just sold my '95 ZJ V-8 and bought a 2000 WJ V-8 lease return with 41,000 mi. My ZJ had 190,000 mi on it. What a great JEEP! Never any major problems, and I towed a boat for years. I'm used to the JEEP 5.2L V-8 idle, but the 4.7L seems much worse. The engine smoothes out nicely off idle. I asked the Dealer's Service Mgr about the roughness. He told me that the 4.7L alternates the firing order in order to meet emissions at idle. I'm skeptical of his explaination. Has anyone heard this explaination before. I can see maybe dropping a cylinder out every x number of revs, but changing the firing order???
    Hello Folks,
    Being disgusted with the number of issues I keep having with my 2001 GCL, the rediculouse responses and the run around I keep getting form the dealerships, I contacted a lemon lawyer to have a feel if my case is covered by the lemon law. I went over the issues I had with the car with him since I got it and the back and forth visits to the dealerships to get the problems taken care of. He indicated that I would have a case. He requested all repair tickets to be forwarded to him, which I kept from day one.
    Has anybody gone thru this process before?... are there going to be a lot disappointments and hassles? and if the hassle is worth it?
    Does anybody have any recommendation or any previous experience they could share?
    Thanks.
    Anytime you have to resort to a lawyer, it's a hassle :-)

One thing to weigh is whether it's more economical to eat it on trade or get a lemon-law replacement from Jeep and pay the lawyer. If you trade it, you're done, and you can move on with your life, and there's a lot to be said for that.

But maybe you'll get lucky and DC will come around to a reasonable compromise with you after the first demand letter.

You may want to try an Advanced Search for "lemon" (linked on the left) while waiting for others to post their experiences here. Good luck!

Steve, Host
  • 98jettavr698jettavr6 Member Posts: 47
    Jeep GC's take such a beating on this site that its unbelievable. So much so that I went to view the other SUV 'problem' threads to compare. On the number of posts alone, Jeep GC's seem to be the most reliable SUV on the road. Anyone take a look at the Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy thread? Almost 10,000 posts!

Jeep GC's really are no worse than any other SUV.
    # of posts on a disussion board is what you consider a comparison for how reliable a vehicle is? Consumer Reports says that the JGC is extremely unreliable. They seem to be the most objective service available and survey 100's of 1000's of vehicle owners each year. They just count the number of problems and divide it over the number of respondents for each particular vehicle and plot them on a graph. Where do you get this

"Jeep GC's seem to be the most reliable SUV on the road."

That is totally out in left field from any objective data I have ever seen.
    98jettavr6, this is a "problems" discussion, and people are more likely to complain when something goes wrong - it's human nature not to sing a car's praises when it runs like it's supposed too.

The owners who do praise their Grand Cherokee can also be found hanging out in the Jeep Grand Cherokee discussion.

Steve, Host

• nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    To xrt:

Don't give up. Don't even bother going through DC arbitration. IT IS A WASTE OF TIME. Been there done that. It took about 8 weeks to get a "NO" response from DC--even with a letter from pre-paid legal service I have.
    I then chose a private lemon law lawyer who specializes in these cases. It only cost me $50 out of pocket for the lawyer. Within 3 weeks I had the check in my hand, and returned the 2000 JGC limited 4x4 fully loaded. Piece of junk. It sounds like the new 2002 are doing much better from the posts above. DO NOT GIVE UP. If you feel like you car is a lemon, pursue your legal rights.
    Steve ... I really do appreciate your input and advices... I am also grateful for the advices,inputs and encouragements of others like nikiblue1. I think this site is a great one. One can have the opportunity to share frustration with others and read about the issues they are struggling with. I only wished I knew about this site long time ago, but I am glad I found it.

I was surprised to read the entry " Why the continual Jeep bashing?" by 98jettavr6.
    I am glad that he is a fan of JGC. Frankly, people like him keep DC in business. But I do have the one Jeep for him that will quickly change his mind and he will probably get a feel why a site like this exist.
    I am willing to let him take it over, since he is that big on JGC. I also will be more than happy to give him the chance to get acquainted with the service mangers at the jeep dealerships: Tom, Dick and stupid Harry, who will introduce him very quickly to the phrase " can not duplicate at this time". They will also try to convince him that whatever he sees, hears and feels is nothing but a figment of his imagination or maybe blame it on some birds dropping or what ever the heck they can come up with ... and trust me, they can come up with all kind of rediculouse explanations.
    I will also be more than happy to show him how to contact "Joe Blow, the customer Rep" at Chrysler corporation who is busy picking his nose while trying to tell you that you are really bothering him and you need to work with the dealer to resolve the problem ... I wonder why they call then customer representative and how they pick them....!!!!

When I saw 98jettavr6's entry, I thought to myself: now that is an ignorance that can not be duplicated.
  • jdtgoldjdtgold Member Posts: 7
    I own a '99 Grand Cherokee. The only persistent problem is that it keeps eating brake rotors on a consistent basis. I just let the dealer talk me into a fix that involved a "spring caliper system" (whatever that means) and new pads and rotors. Total cost - about $600.00 (it was painful just typing that number). Has anyone else heard of this or had success with this?
  • topcuttopcut Member Posts: 54
    I have a 99 GC Laredo.....I had problem ..steering wheel shutter,,,They turned the front rotors and solved the problem,,,That was at 15K miles has about 30 on it,,,,and is fine,,,,The only problem is with the dealership..I took it in last week for the 30K, Tranny filter service, rotate tires, Coolant flush, change.....I leave the dealership and notice it pulling left...I get home..look at the tires and the front left is obviously very low (20 lbs in it)...I call the dealership they apologize and said the next oil change was free..MY wife drove it that eveing and when she gets home said the coolant light came on,,I check under the hood and the coolant level is way below the add line in the resevoir...I call them again...They said that there was possibly and air bubble in the system and took it awhile to circulate it out..then left the system low...They said they would see about giving me an adjustment,,,been a week and have not heard from them
          I mean checking tire pressure at rotation should be automatic ..like ham and eggs..and don't they know enough to run the engine for a period of time to get the coolant circulated thru the system..??..I live 30 miles from the dealership..so I have to go air up tires...go buy more anti-freeze to top off the system...Then they insult me by not even calling back...plus the shop rate is 70 bucks an hour...and I have to finish the jnob.???
       anyone know about air bubbles in the cooling system??????:)..Don't they know how much this system holds....???
    P.S.....I stopped payment on my 169.00 check..bet I hear from them now!!!!!! enough is enough.
  • topcuttopcut Member Posts: 54
    P.S.S......I have bought 3 new autos from this dealership....2 Grand cherokees,,and last year a new 02 300M....Wouldn't you think they would take a little more care...???.and I was so looking forward to the new LX's, but this whole experience has soured me on that too..
  • kkuligkkulig Member Posts: 150
    In response to nikiblue1 in #457...

States have different procedures to follow in using the lemon law. You need to understand your state law... most require that you go through the manufacturer's arbitration process before you can actually use the lemon law.

I had a 98 JGC go back under my state law. All it required was writing a letter to DC, attaching copies of the work orders to prove the number of attempts to correct the problem, and the cost of mailing this by certified mail. No hassle, no attorney. I posted the entire experience several times out here and it should be easy enough to find with a search of "lemon law".

An excellent site for your specific state lemon law and who administers it can be found at:

http://www.autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_Lemon.html
  • lvleangellvleangel Member Posts: 1
    i haven't seen anybody writing about the 95 jgc i am getting ready to purchase a jeep gc with 90000 miles on it for 8000 dollars i need to know if anybody knows of any major problems with the 95 it has passed through car fax with flying colors but i need more assurance please let me know thanks
  • h8jeeph8jeep Member Posts: 2
    Help! I'm hoping to gain some feedback for my situation...

I bought a 2003 JGC Laredo in November. After about a week, we started noticing inconsistent problems with the locks not working properly, the dome light not going off every time, the computer/compass display not doing what it says it is doing and stating that the door is open when in fact it is not.

We also experienced problems with the parking brake handle (feeling like it is going to rip right off and not feeling very secure).

We scheduled an appointment for these problems, but four days before our appointment, the transmission completely blew out at 1900 miles!

It took a few weeks and the Jeep Dealership replaced the transmission as well as the speed sensor for the ABS (which also had a short in it). The other problems, as many others have stated, resulted in the conclusion by Jeep, "Unable to duplicate".

Question: Am I out of line for thinking that Jeep should replace our car with a new one? I know that we don't qualify for the "Lemon Law" at this point, but shouldn't Jeep take the high road and give in to our request? We have argued until being blue in the face without any success. Does anyone have any suggestions/comments?

Thanks and I apologize for the lengthy post!
  • overland1overland1 Member Posts: 1
    HI, BOY DO I HAVE A GOOD STORY FOR YOU. I WAS TRAVELING SOUTHBOUND ON THE FLORIDA TURNPIKE @ A SPEED OF 70 MPH. THE RIGHT REAR SHUTTERED SO I THOUGHT I HAD A BLOWN TIRE AND LET OFF THE GAS ONLY TO FIND OUT I HAD NO POWER AT ALL. I COULD NOT GET SAFELY OVER TO THE RIGHTSIDE "FLORIDA DRIVERS" SO I COASTED TO THE LEFT. VERY SCARY. AFTER CHECKING OUT THE TIRES AND SEEING THEM OK I STAYED IN THE CAR TILL THE TOW SHOWED. GUESS WHAT A BLOWN ENGINE IN THE CROWNING JEWEL OF JEEP. I AM COVERED FOR THEM TO REPLACE THE ENGINE. LUCKY I HAVE ALL MAINTAINCE RECORDS. THIS IS A MAJOR MECHINCAL FAILURE. DO I WANT THE JEEP BACK WITH THE NEW ENGINE? NO I ONLY HAD 12,000 MILES ON THE ORIGINAL. JUST BROKE IT IN AFTER OWNING IT FOR 1 YR. SO I CALL CORP. THEY AT LEAST START PAYING FOR MY RENTAL. I GO TO THE ONLY DEALER IN MY AREA THAT HAS AN OVERLAND 2003. EXPLAIN SITUATION, THIS GUY TRIES MAKING $8,000 OFF OF ME TO PUT ME IN A NEW JEEP.NOW I FOUND OUT ABOUT MANUFACTOR SUPPORT WILL PAY THE DEALERSHIP 4000 TO MOVE THIS MODEL.WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GET ANYWHERE WITH THESE DEALERS? HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIANCE ANYTHING TO THIS? WHAT DID YOU DO? SAD AND SIDELINED, OVERLAND
  • csi35csi35 Member Posts: 28
    Turn off the caps. No need to shout.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    BUY A KIA!!! ;)
    It's a bummer, but sometimes stuff breaks. I'd take the new engine under the warranty and figure I got an extra year of engine longevity out of the deal. Changes are that the replacement isn't going to blow.

If you don't trust it after getting it back then I'd look to trade it in or sell it privately and buy new.

Good luck!

Steve, Host
  • glaster1glaster1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Like many posting to this forum I have experienced what seems to be the standard list of problems for this make and model.

1) Fuel pump causing it to idle rough and start sporadically
    2) Driver side power window motor out
    3) Front brakes doing the shake and shimmy (scared me to death in rush hour traffic on the highway)

However, I haven't owned a vehicle yet (this is #6) that did not have problems that were "built in" to it. (The best, least troublesome car I have owned was a 91 Camaro :)

Also, I don't have the repair horror stories to go with these problems. *crosses fingers and knocks on wood* The dealership I lease the Jeep from has fixed all these problems without any hassle whatsoever. In fact, I would call their service dept. outstanding compared to others that I have used previously.

I just dropped of my Jeep today, to have item #3 repaired. I was dreading a $500 brake over-haul but was pleased to hear that it was covered under warranty. Apparantly it is faulty callipers causing this particular problem.

All that being said, my lease is up in April and I don't want to go out and buy a new car at this time. So, I am extending my lease out 18 months. I plan on down-sizing after the 18 months to a more commuter friendly, better gas mileage vehicle. I will miss the 4 wheel drive. But thinking of going hybrid...
  • aesalaesal Member Posts: 1
    I guess I've been lucking and haven't had as many problems. My major ones right now is that 80% of the time that I use my remote my mirrors change directions. And, when my lights are on at night the inside lights 'breath'. The go lower about every 2 minutes. Of course, the dealer has checked them 5 times in the past 3 years and can't recreate either problem. They still want to charge for checking them out though.
    Any ideas?
    cdrhi Nov 7, 2002 7:41pm
  • captbuschrod1captbuschrod1 Member Posts: 2
    My son just called from the Jeep dealership, his 1999 JGC rear-end has lost a bearing that spun damaging the casing and cracking the housing. $1,750 to repair. Bought the JGC used from Jeep dealer with 69,000, now has 86,000 miles. Do I have any recourse with Jeep, or I'm I gonna eat the big one on this?!?!?!
  • mac2002mac2002 Member Posts: 17
    I lease a 2000 Grand Cherokee Ltd, and 2 of the windows have stopped functioning. It's on a lease but I am no where close to the dealer (over 2000 miles). Is it best to call the dealer where I obtained the vehicle and ask them for direction, or will any Jeep honor the warranty?

The lease was actually through Key Bank, FWIW.
  • dsjeeptidsjeepti Member Posts: 61
    If you leased a new vehicle and are within 36 months or 36,000 miles, you should be covered by the new car warranty. Any Jeep dealer in the US will honor this.
    Good luck, DS
  • jbaptistajbaptista Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 JGC Limited. When I have the heat on, the passenger side will occasionally blow cold air for a period of time and then revert back to warm air. I have taken the JGC to the dealer and they were unable to resolve the problem. The problem is intermittent. Any suggestions and/or information would be greatly appreciated.
  • cmorse89cmorse89 Member Posts: 1
    anyone who has a 2000 JGC I sympathize what a piece of junk I was leasing mine for what i thought would be 4 years hardly. it was nothing but problems from new Rotors every 2000 miles to window not working to running rough and wanting to die out of course when you bring it in they say nothing is wrong computer says it is fine. Wrong... I had 38700 miles and it stopped running on the highway at 70 mph in Florida. Dead,had to have it towed they said computer said it was fine, of course it always says it is fine. well anyway chrsyler eventually paid to fix it long list of problems had to rent a car to get home and fly back because it took 4 days and 2 shops to figure it out. got it home and the trans started slipping another $2000 to fix sorry not me it's gone, traded it took a huge loss since the $32,000 vehicle is only now worth $13,000 2 years later Made the best decision to dump it Bought a 2003 Toyota RAV 4 very pleased The only advice I can give you is do not buy a Jeep do not. Advise everyone you know not to buy one. I have know personally many people with the same problems I am the last to get rid of mine. TAke the loss and get out. not worth the money buy a Toyota or any other imported car they are the only reliable vehicles.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    ...broke your shift key and spell check as well...:p
  • stangdstangd Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 Grand Cherokee, 4.0L, AT with 100,000 miles. I just had the transmission flushed and the pan dropped and cleaned and new filter put in. I've never had problems with the transmission, but now when I start it up on cold days (like below 45), a high pitched whirring sound comes from the transmission, sounds like a fan. After warming up the sound goes away. I didn't have the sound before the flush, but its definitely there now.

Whats going on here. Should I be worried and take it back to the station.

TIA, DMS
  • dkunkledkunkle Member Posts: 1
    I have returned my 2000 GC with 4.7 V8 and quadradrive several times to the dealer for the same problem. The vehicle pulls to the right. The Jeep service department just patronizes me now. Last time they sent the Jeep to get it aligned (about the fourth time). Then they rotated the tires, again. They have made the ball joint replacement. I have 2000 miles left on warranty. I noticed several others with this problem, but no real remedies. Any help out there. It is the poorest tracking vehicle I have owned.
  • maw555maw555 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the process of buying a 2000 Grand Cherokee laredo v6 with 88,000km on it. I would appreciate any feedback on what i could expect in terms of repairs over the next 12 months. I plann on a rural commute of 150km per day, return, 5 days a week. I also am curious about gas mileage. I test drove a couple of the smaller suvs including the liberty but found it too confining. With 2 5yr olds and a big dog (and a mother in law who does not drive and lives nearby the Grand Cherokee seems perfect...your advice?
  • wj2000wj2000 Member Posts: 1
    After I fitted HO cams, and get the heads polished. My 2000 GRAND CHEROKEE V8-4.7, didn't start at all...
    Although, they checked all the possibilities, which they can think of, but still no idea yet..

Anyone, can suggest a solution!!.