Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• okc1xokc1x Member Posts: 1
    My 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee has been a nightmare! I currently have 85,000 miles on my Cherokee and I've just been informed that my tranny needs to be rebuilt. I've already had to replace the transfer case and when I was deployed, the power steering pump went out. I owned a Cherokee sport prior to the JGC and didn't have any problems. I don't think I'll purchase another JGC, they're too unreliable!
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    OK, here's the way I think it could have happened: the driver is belted in and the SRS module detects a rate of deceleration that the belt alone can handle. On the passenger side the occupant sensor and/or the seatbelt latch sensor are on the fritz. The SRS module defaults to "worst case scenario" and deploys only the passenger airbag. FWIW, I know that on recent BMWs the passenger bag will deploy and the driver bag won't when:
    1. The crash is a low speed event, and
    2. The driver is buckled in and the passenger is not.
    As for the Murano accident, I again think that the SRS system was evaluating the severity of the impact/rollover and deploying the airbag/curtains where needed. Remember that in both the GC and Murano incidents the drivers emerged relatively unscathed. That tells me that deployment of the driver bag/curtain was unnecessary.
  • cmarc2seecmarc2see Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 2000 JGC. I liked the ride and the comfort of the car. I am concerned about the problems I am reading about as far as the brakes and other repairs. Should I stay away?
  • nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    Yes, stay away. Go through the posts and read the problems. I had one--love/hate relationship--was a lemon. If you do get one, get a long warranty.
  • drmzdrmz Member Posts: 2
    My wife's year-old 2003 GC Laredo V6, 4WD auto seems to hard shift into neutral or into 1st when comming to a complete stop or when you take your foot off the brake and start to accelerate. I'm suspecting rough shifts into and out of neutral. Problem happens 80% of the time, but sometimes while stopping and sometimes while starting. Is this common? Signs of impending tranny disaster?
    Want to get it checked and/or fixed before warrenty runs out. Any advice? Thanks!
  • flhunterflhunter Member Posts: 4
    Just bought an '04 GC Laredo to replace my old '94 Cherokee Sport.
    Only one complaint so far.....
    I hear a wind noise at highway speeds coming from left front area, not sure if front of window or windshield.
    Any ideas on how to fix the problem? Would rather do it myself than take it to the dealer....
    Thanks
  • el_kabongel_kabong Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 94 GCL, and the wipers work, but oddly. On delay, they run on low. On low, they don't run at all. On high, they run on high. When you turn off the wiper switch, they stop wherever they are.

My question is: is this a problem at the switch, or a problem at the motor?
  • curlscurls Member Posts: 7
    Tidester... "the rigid frame construction may transmit an impulse across the vehicle almost as though the opposite side had been struck from the perspective of the accelerometer."

Sounds logical, but my experience doesn't support it. My recent situation with the Murano was the exact opposite. The impact was on the passenger side and the passenger side curtain deployed. The vehicle rolled onto the driver side, probably not hard enough/fast enough to cause driver side curtain to deploy. The velocity of the occupants would initially be away from impact, but then back toward the impact with more force. I believe that's the reason the impact side curtain should deploy. I cracked my head on the driver side window several years ago when t-boned on the driver side. A side curtain would have prevented that.

I think div2 is on the right track. However there was no reason for the passenger side curtain to deploy in the Murano if there is an occupant sensor. No thing or body was in the passenger seat. The only apparent reason it deployed is that the impact was on that side.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thanks for the additional input. I think we're seeing a pattern develop here!

tidester, host
  • jgc2003ljgc2003l Member Posts: 1
    I have had two Grand Cherokees. A 2000 and now a 2003. When the outside temperature gets into the 90's the system is just barely adequate. It appears the evaporator is too small and they have not corrected the problem. The solution I have found is to put the air on recirculate and slow the fan down to a medium speed. The air is much colder on medium than on high. Hope that helps.
  • scout18scout18 Member Posts: 3
    Example of when noise happens would be when pulling into a parking space, very low speed.At first I thought it was the power steering pump,but then when I was a passenger it sounded like it came from the rear and resembled the sound of a tire rubbing.This happens on a left or right hard turn at a very low speed.I just bought this and I'm on vacation so I haven't had it to a dealer yet.Mileage is 4K.This is a 2-wheel drive.Engine is the L-4 straight 6.
  • 98jettavr698jettavr6 Member Posts: 47
    scout18: Mine does the same thing, plus there is an obvious vibration. I have a 4WD, so its surprising to hear this happens with the 2WD version also. Not sure what the fix is, though.
  • five0_4tluvfive0_4tluv Member Posts: 41
    went to Chrysler website and explained my story CR called me several days later and said he called the Service Manager and I am all set to get the TSB done.
  • resumespeedresumespeed Member Posts: 52
    Do you have the optional roof rack cross rails? If so those can make noise if not set in 1st and 4th positions from the back.
  • resumespeedresumespeed Member Posts: 52
    There is a TSB out for this, #19-002-03 (02-03 models). The fix is quite simple if this is your problem, and involves a slight repositioning of the power steering hoses where they make contact. You have to slightly loosen the hoses at their base and move them so they are about 1/8" apart from each other, then retighten the hoses.
  • flhunterflhunter Member Posts: 4
    Resumespeed, Thanks for the tip, but I do not have the racks, I might get them in the future....When I get some time, I am thinking of using masking tape on different places around the front windshield, door frame etc, to try to isolate the wind noise....
    Any more tips will be really appreciated
  • laurap52laurap52 Member Posts: 4
    I have a weird clunk/thunk noise (sounds like it is in the back) when I come to a stop and then when I take foot off brake to start again on my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4. I have had all the rotors, pads, calipers, etc. replaced under the TSB. It did this before that was done and after.

Dealer says this is normal, but it seems to be getting worse. My dealer service department doesn't have the best rep, so I was wondering if anyone else had this and if they fixed it.
  • md12md12 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought the damn thing (1200miles)and screams when I turn at low speeds. Someone mention re-positioning the power steering lines? please explain a bit more? This is my first car, and in the past I always get jerked around by mechanics.

Thanks
  • dachshund2dachshund2 Member Posts: 39
    md12, I had the same problem on our 2004 GC after 1700 miles. My understanding of the problem, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, is that during high pressure situations (low speed turns) there is some vibration in the power steering lines and the proximity of the lines causes a resonance that howls. Moving the lines further apart as mentioned by resumespeed changes the harmonics so the lines don't howl. This doesn't always work and didn't in my case.
    On my service invoice they described the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) this way: 19501099 Steering Honk on 4.0 L & 4.7L LHD Grand Cherokee-TSB 19-005-02. They ended up replacing all my power steering lines and the power steering pump. The noise has not returned in 150 miles.
  • youn0813youn0813 Member Posts: 28
    I just bought my 04 Grand Jeep Cherokee Limited and I love driving it, but there are a few things that bother me. Some of the problems I have, other people have described but I don't know if they're normal or not. I post another message so that there will be a greater chance of someone who knows the problem can post a respsond. or if you can write me to my email, that would be so great!! youn0813@hotmail.com
    Problems:
    -whining noise from gear or something when shotting between Reverse and Drive (dealer says it's normal but still...)
    -strange clunk/thunk(?) noise when coming to a
    complete stop and lifting the foot off the brake
    -lot of wind noise when on freeway(even at 60mph)
    -glove box rattles when something is inside
    -once a while doors don't open even if the lights flash after pressing on the remote
    -I hear a very low occasional ticking noise from the auto. driver seat(from the bottom)
    -sometimes rough transition from Park to R or D, it makes a lot of rusted metal grinding noise and it's annoying to hear that a near 40000 dollar car has so much stupid noises.
    My brother's only-a-few-grand-more-and-larger 03 GMC Yukon doesn't make any grinding noise from any part of the car at all!
    Suggestions or comments people?
  • tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    I was aware of TSB 19-005-02 which is more involved, but this procedure was mainly required on 1999-01 models and unusual on a 2004. Most later vehicles with the symptom can be solved with the relocation of the hoses. The 19-005-02 TSB does not even mention requiring or suggesting that the pump be replaced. But glad to hear the problem has been fixed.
    ["whining noise from gear or something when shotting between Reverse and Drive"]

If it sounds like a small "ratchet" for a few seconds then that is normal and not evidence of a problem. I don't even hear it anymore in my Jeep, it's not bothersome at all.

["strange clunk/thunk(?) noise when coming to a
    complete stop and lifting the foot off the brake"]

Not sure about this, a TSB was issued but that was a driveshaft issue in 1999-2000 models. Where does it sound like it is originating?

["lot of wind noise when on freeway(even at 60mph)"]

Where is it coming from? Top rear corner of the front door?

["glove box rattles when something is inside"]

You mean when weight is added? What rattles? Does holding the door tight make it go away?

["once a while doors don't open even if the lights flash after pressing on the remote"]

Which door(s), all?, liftgate?

["I hear a very low occasional ticking noise from the auto. driver seat(from the bottom)"]

No idea on this one, does it happen during seat adjustment or for no reason at all?

["sometimes rough transition from Park to R or D, it makes a lot of rusted metal grinding noise"]

Can you be more descriptive here? "Rusted metal"? Like a scraping sound?

"My brother's only-a-few-grand-more-and-larger 03 GMC Yukon doesn't make any grinding noise from any part of the car at all!"

Yeah, but have you seen the LONG list of TSBs issued for his vehicle?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    That's a lot of noises for a 2004. I would be most wary of the clunk when you come to a stop. Have you taken it to a dealer? If so, what did he say?
  • janzjanz Member Posts: 129
    ["once a while doors don't open even if the lights flash after pressing on the remote"]

Which door(s), all?, liftgate?

Pressing the key fob UNLOCKS the doors but doesn't normally open them. If they do not unlock, press it again or even better replace the batteries.

Works for me every time.
    Wow.. This discussion board is so cool. People have already responded. I give you guys many thanks for your responds!
    I will clarify some of the stuff.

The noise comes from the front side windows. One of the person said it was caused by bad exterior design, namely the side rear view mirrors. He/she said the mirrors shoot the wind to the side windows or something

It rattles a little bit with many 04 GJC manual in it when I drive over a bump. But it's alright. I can't duplicate the rattle when the car is still tough.

This, I assume it's some kind of programming bug. I press UNLOCK and lights flash like normal. But what do you know no doors are UNLOCKED, none! But it only happens rarely. Happened about three times so far..

["I hear a very low occasional ticking noise from the auto. driver seat(from the bottom)"]
    This happens when driving, not when adjusting. But I hear the same tick sound you would hear after you release the adjustment button on the seats (For some reason, after you release the adjusting button on the seats, it is followed by a 'tick' at the end). I haven't been hearing this lately.. Maybe because I chose to ignore it by listening top music when I'm driving.

["sometimes rough transition from Park to R or D, it makes a lot of rusted metal grinding noise"]
    Now this one.. yes, like a scraping sound. Like "Grrrr." But this happens when I'm on slanted surfaces.

["strange clunk/thunk(?) noise when coming to a
    complete stop and lifting the foot off the brake"]
    This is more like actually a short "Geeek" noise. Not loud or anything like that. You would not be able to hear it if you were listening to music at like vol. 15. Only makes it when I come to a complete stop and it is what my old 93 GJC did, and I thought it was normal for such an old car.

Oh one more thing. The JGC makes a unique engine noise when accelarating. Like a jet plane.. I'm not sure how to explain it. But it sounds like you are hearing to a jet engine or something.

I'm going to mention all these issues with the dealer once it is time for an oil change. They are no big deal really if the car runs fine. My 93 GJC had 150,000 miles without breaking down, though I put some serious money to get some leaks fixed. Wouldn't you guys say, despite all the complaints made here and there in various discussion boards, that Grand Cherokees are pretty reliable? I mean, one of the reason I got another GJC was because many people kept coming back for more JEEPs. I read a few long term testing articles from Car and Driver and the 99 JGC they tested had the least amount of money put into it to maintain/fix it compared to Lexus RX300 and Benz ML 320 in 40,000 miles. And another one about Audi A4, that car has lot of electronic problems (again 40,000 miles).
    Man I love my Jeep. Anyone else loves his/her Jeep as much as I do? My friends are jealous, I can just tell!!

What is TBS by the way? The 03 GMC Yukon has many TBS's? I gotta let my brother know then!!
  • laurap52laurap52 Member Posts: 4
    I have read page after page of complaints about the JGC, but who doesn't have car problems. Drive a Saturn and you will appreciate JCC. I owned a Saturn for 5 years and it would probably be easier to tell you what I didn't have fixed. It is so nice to drive a JGC and not have to put oil in every 500 miles.

I get good gas mileage - 18.5 town and 23 highway. I live in Colorado and the I6 climbs the mountain passes with no problem!!! I have had the rotors, etc. replaced, but they are fine now. The only thing that I don't know about is the clunking when stopping noise - SEE #553. This is my first SUV and I love it so far. It rides nice, comfortable seats, nice sound system. I thought I would add some positive comments to this message board.
    Its just short of a recall but it often idicates that there is some kind of problem with the vehicle that should be fixed. Sometimes, it could just be instructions to the dealer or a new tool or procedure that should be used to service or repair a vehicle.

You can find ID#'s and titles to all of them for any vehicle at http://www.alldata.com/.
  • 101crawler101crawler Member Posts: 1
    Hey, all. I recently purchased an '04 JGC Overland, and for the most part I love it (1700 miles so far). However, I'm somewhat disheartened by the fact that I spent 40k+ on a car, and there appears to be a rattle originating from somewhere in the front driver-side door whenever the stero is turned up a bit (and by "a bit," I'm only talking about half-way). Granted, that door houses one of the Infinity woofers, which might generate a rattle or two when cranked--but certainly not at lower levels. Regardless, I'm wondering if this truly is "normal," or if I should go to the effort of removing the door panel to see whether something's loose, etc. It's tough to say, but I don't think the same thing is happening on the passenger side. Anyone else experiencing something similar?

Mention to your dealer to refer to TSB # 23-015-03. This was just issued a few weeks ago and I have not seen a copy yet. Wind noise has not been a problem at all on Grand Cherokees. This TSB is the first I had ever heard of any wind noise issues.

Not sure what else to tell you on this, I don't know why adding a manual to the glove box would all of a sudden make it rattle, unless the manual or whatever you put in there is rattling. The dealer can easily check to see if the door is adjusted properly, it may not be closing tight enough and that can be very easily adjusted.

On a vehicle this new the batteries should be ok, otherwise the lights would probably not flash. By the way, there is a programming feature that allows JUST the driver door to unlock with the first push of the button, and an alternate setting that unlocks ALL of the doors with the first push of the button, that is why I was asking which door or doors were not working correctly.

When you take it in for your oil change, the dealer will punch in the VIN number and can pull up info regarding issues for your particular vehicle. Take some detailed notes with you so you can explain and describe in detail the specific problem.

There is a list of TSBs at this link which go in to a little detail:
    http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb.htm
  • moondance2moondance2 Member Posts: 1
    Our Grand Cherokee is a 2000. We are now having our 4th battery installed. When they die...they are gone! It usually takes a little less than a year. You cannot jump it, and it must be towed. We have been told that they know something is draining them, but they can't find the problem. Of course our extended warranty will expire right before they discover the problem...that's my guess. Anyone with similar problems or answers...I'd love to hear from you. Write to me at MaryBnqtmgr@aol.com
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If people just email you, the rest of the owners won't get any benefit from your question.

And if you post your email in a public forum, you may get some mail you'd rather not get!

Steve, Host
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    Maybe somebody here has an idea I have not thought of yet. I get a vibration in the steering wheel and floorboard of my 1997 Grand Cherokee. It has the four speed auto trans, L6 and two wheel drive. It is most noticeable while driving down the road between 45 and 52 mph. The bearing hub assembly has been replaced on the left side and also the rotors, pads and calipers on both sides with quality after market parts. The vibration disappears momentarily during a lane change to the left and gets worse during a lane change to the right. The vibration is constant while driving straight. I have had the vehicle about a year and this started about a month ago. Other than this problem, my Grand Cherokee has been problem free.
    Brakes were worn out and needed to be replaced anyway. Any ideas?
    Some people here say that Quadra-Drive cause mechanical problems for the Jeep Grand Cherokees. What are the problems, if any? Or are people just talking about what they heard some someone else? I have a 2004 JGC w/ Quadra-Drive, what's wrong with it??
    and have been reading these posts since shortly AFTER I purchased in August'99. Since then, I have read a fair number posted problems with V8's and QD. This was more in '99-'00.

In 37K and 4 years, I've never had a problem with either, V8 or QD.
    Man, me too! I found out about this discussion board/web site shortly after I got my '04 JGC Limited! But I love my new JGC and it's a second JGC to the '93 JGC Limted. I had some bad leaks and other problems but then, the car had 150K on it. I say it's pretty good.
    That depends on your standards/expectations.

"I had some bad leaks and other problems but then, the car had 150K on it."

I have had similar experiences and got fed up. I want 200K or more with no such problems.
    You're right bigorange30. It depends on your expectation/standards, and in my point of view 150K with 10+ years was good. After 10 years from now, I'll be looking at another car to buy.
    I also got tired of paying thousands for repairs. I always got everything fixed because I didn't want my car to break down on the road, but the cost started to mount. That's when I said, no more!! Then came the new Jeep.

By the way, how's your Jeep doing?
  • augirl1augirl1 Member Posts: 3
    I believe that my GC has a coolant leak. I get the 'Coolant Low' message once a month, and sure enough, I need to add coolant. I have started to notice that after I drive somewhere, I will see a small drip from my car. At first, I thought this was air conditioner condensation, but now, I believe it may be a coolant leak. Every time I take it to get fixed, though, they tell me that they cannot find a leak. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, please tell me something that I can tell the repairman to look for. Thanks in advance.
  • mdjeepmanmdjeepman Member Posts: 21
    The check engine light suddenly appeared on my dash on Saturday. I have an appointment at the local dealer this afternoon to look into it. The only difference in driving that I have noticed since the light came on is the shift points. It seems to wait before shifting from first to second (RPMs seem to shoot up higher before shifting occurs). Other than that I can detect no problem myself. It is a 99 I6 JGC. Anyone else have this light come on before and what was your problem?
    Does anyone experience a groaning sound when shifting from R to D and vice versa? It goes 'Grrr' and it doesn't really sound normal. Well, my old 93 GJC made this noise too but I thought it was because it was old.

Also, when I come to a complete stop, it makes a 'thunk' or 'Grrk' noise. Not when I'm actually braking, but when the car comes to a COMPLETE stop. My old '93 GJC also made this noise too. And again, I thought it was because it was old.

Anyone have a 2004 or previous models that make the same noises? Let me know please!
  • mdjeepmanmdjeepman Member Posts: 21
    I took it into the dealer service. They looked up a code or something which indicated that the low level speed output sensor was defective. They replaced it. The cost of parts and labor and supplies was $118. It didn't take long for them to diagnose it and fix it. They have earned my respect over the past few years as being a quality service center. After the fix, the thing I had noticed about the shifting went back to normal. Hope this helps someone out there with a similar experience.
  • ece101ece101 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 JGCL and had to jump the battery twice in the past week. I was surprised that the battery was dead the first time, I didn't notice any lights being left on, etc. However, after the first jump, both power seats control no longer worked. Yesterday, I had to jump the batter again. But this time, white smoked and burning smell came from under the driver' seat.

Anyone deal with this before? Thanks
  • dwil171248dwil171248 Member Posts: 1
    I bought this jeep used from a local dealer at a great price a year ago. After driving it for a few long distance road trips it developed a highway whine at 50 - 60 mph (at a coast and accelerating) directly under my gear shifter. Jeep first replaced my front pumpkin gear in the differential. when that did not work the replaced my transfer cast ($1200.00) at there cost. That only solved the problem temporarily. Now the jeep is out of warranty and the whining is worse than ever. I have 57000 miles on the car and would love to know if there is any fix out there for this noise. Please let me know is you have herd of this in the past.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I recently purchased a demo 4,400 miles 03' limited v8 h.o. 2 wheel drive. When I make a slow turn in either direction or a U turn etc. their is a loud whinning noise coming from the rear end which can be heard inside the car and outside. The transmission still shifts smoothly and performs as it should its just this loud noise when make turns that concernes me. Has anyone had this problem or know what it could be as I have no idea other than it may be a bad transmission. ****I just went back a read that several of you have posted about this very problem i speak of. I did not see any real answer other than repositioning the power steering hoses. I have stood outside the car while it make a slow turn and its definetely from the rear end. Has anyone had theirs fixed or a solution.**** Thanks, Jeff
    regarding Rotor warranty period 12/12. This was posted by the host kcram on the Finance/Warranty board the topic called "Need advice with a Pontiac warranty problem.
    Pontiac Warranty"...

"This sounded too familiar, so I just ran outside to get the warranty book from my 1996 Dodge Ram. Here is the exact wording:
    -------------
    The "Basic Warranty" lasts for 36 months from the vehicle's Warranty Start Date OR for 36,000 miles on the odometer, whichever comes first.

The following items are only covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles on the odometer, whichever comes first:
    - Brakes (Rotors, Pads, Linings, and Drums)
    - Wiper Blades
    - Clutch Discs
    -----------------
    I realize that's Chrysler, not GM, but that is an industry standard - Ford is the same.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If it's normal, they should all do that, right? Maybe it's time to get the GM and ask him to walk the lot with some keys so three or four can be cranked and tested.

Steve, Host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I don't understand how this msg center works it won't let us reply to a posting.

You reply to a posting in exactly the same way you posted your two messages. This is not a threaded message board - it's more like a conversation! Just feel free to speak out whenever you like.

tidester, host
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    LOL. Well i just posted a few days ago about the loud noise on my 03 grand when making turns or U turns. Now starting today its has become sluggish when starting from a complete stop. I think the tranny maybe going if not its definetly got some problems. I guess this can happen to any car but its disappointing when i only have 6,000 miles on the grand but at least its covered under warranty :-(
  • dachshund2dachshund2 Member Posts: 39
    Icenova, do you have the manual control or the IR Dual Zone Climate Control?