Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• momx3momx3 Member Posts: 13
    i'm considering purchasing a Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee in older model years. (93-97). Any input, suggestions, horrror and triumphant stories would be greatly appreciated. Also, any suggestions on comparable SUV's if the Jeep is a bad idea. thanks.
  • u2fan4688u2fan4688 Member Posts: 13
    Yup, I do have the sunroof, but I am not sure it cause a 3" loss. But I only have like 1" of space between my head and the cealing with the seat all the way down.. Your right...though.. the rear view iror is right in my face and my eyes are right at the sun visor. I have to duck to see traffic lights.

I may just switch to the liberty. it has 40" of headroom compared to 39 for the GC.

Anyone else have experiences?

the Chrysler/jeep Customer service lady on the phone she never heard this before... I just laughed.
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    I think you guys just need to spend 15 minutes adjusting the seat and the mirrors until you find the optimal position. You're giving up too soon.
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    I have been very happy with the two 1997 grand cherokee's I purchased. If rear seat comfort is important, get the grand cherokee. Otherwise they are both good vehicles. The L6 engine is simple and very easy to do routine maintenance on. I now have over 100,000 on both and have had only a few minor repairs($150 or less)and of course maintenance items such as brakes and tires. One thing I did find during my purchases in North Florida was that I was able to get both for less than what Edmunds said the dealer price would be(both were purchased from dealers).
  • janzjanz Member Posts: 129
    My '99 has been in the shop and I just drove a '05 rental for 3 weeks (no sunroof). I don't like the seating position and visibility and I'm a 5'7" female. The seat is like a wooden bench and I really felt that my peripheral vision was impaired. My husband thinks the drivers seat of the '99 is cramped. He didn't drive the rental, but I feel it is more cramped than my '99. Can't wait to get it back.

u2fan, the new Consumer Reports really dings Trailblazer. You might want to do some research.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    I'm just curious- did DC really hire some guys from Porsche AG to design the bodywork for the '99-'04 ZJ Grand Cherokee generation? I was told by a dealer's service manager that was the case, but I may be wrong on this one. (I say it wasn't designed by Porsche)
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Sorry- my mistake, I meant the '99-'04 WJ generation. (1993-98 was ZJ)
  • momx3momx3 Member Posts: 13
    thanks for the input xscout.. great to "hear" real world opinions. And the high mileage info is exactly what I needed.
    Hi Janz,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Yeah I saw the bad reviews on the trailblazer. My wife loves the trailblazer and explorer.. Neither gets good reviews from consumer reports..
    I'm also gonna re-test drive the 05 Liberty Limited for a day. I know it has better visibility, same engine, just smaller. My quorum is that I can't seem to find a "quality/luxury" SUV for around $30k.. You gotta pony up like 36/38k to get into a Lexus or Volvo SUV. I test drove even an 05 escape limited today and that was such a piece of junk. Tons of road noice, vibrations from the rear, cheap plastic interior,..sad.

it will work out.
    Trans..
    I wish it was a simple as adjusting to it.

But obviously I don't want to loose money.. it is bad for me.. I did spened the time. I spent hours trying to get it right. I even went to the dealer and they didn't help. I was even out there with tape measures trying to compare the seats and figure out angles, etc. Put seat back all the way (which I can't stand) and lowered all the way. Plus I've driven it for 3 weeks and put 900 miles now on it. I'm still not used to it.
    :(
  • debarrdebarr Member Posts: 4
    I agree with your husband my wife has a 99, when we go on a trip, which is usually every week, we will take it. The seats really hold your thighs tight together, it's like you are sitting on both edges of the seat with nothing in the middle.
    I am in need of a 99' JGC driver seat, I can use either the whole seat or just the seat frame, I need it to be a power seat with the track and the seat bottom frame, I would prefer to find someone that has an extra one laying around vs. finding one in a junk yard. Thank's for your help.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A salvage (junk) yard is probably your best bet. eBay or craigslist.org might turn up something, but I don't think most people have Jeep seats lying around. Good luck.

Steve, Host
    I have a 99 JGC and am experiencing some tranny noise, the only time it is noticeable is when the truck is put into R, and it will only occur when I put the truck in R and immediately step on the accelerator. If I press on the gas I get a slipping sound which is high pitched in nature. If I wait a second and then press on the gas it does not happen. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
    Ok appreciate the help, not to be a smart allick but, I just happen to have a whole set of seats lying around, obviously all except the driver's seat. Imagine that. I will take your advice and try to locate one in a salvage yard.
    I didn't want my minivan middle seat so I took it out. But I threw it away; I have too much stuff stored around here as it is!

A lot of yards can check other yard's inventory so ask if they can search outside your area too.

Steve, Host
  • ycraigycraig Member Posts: 1
    I have a low humming noise coming from the left wheel area when turning right at driving speeds. I also here the noise if I jog the wheel to the right while driving straight.
    Noise is only heard while turning right. If going very slow and I make a right turn noise is not heard.(right turn from a stop) Any ideas?
  • qstick777qstick777 Member Posts: 7
    I've glanced over the forum and it seems that most of the problems have been related to brakes/rotors. I'm interested in knowing about any other complaints - how is the reliability, 4wd, ABS, etc? Problems with dealers and warranty stuff, really anything to help me make a decision.

I'm looking at buying a 2004 Laredo with about 21k miles and the price seems to be very decent, very much below any prices here on Edmunds.com.

I can handle having to put on aftermarket rotors, and I will be the primary driver, but I have to remember that my wife and child will be using this vehicle also. I've never owned a Jeep, so I'm suspious as to why this vehicle seems to be such a steal.
  • indypacecar82indypacecar82 Member Posts: 2
    How do you get the shift handle off a jeep grand cherokee?
    there's no clips screws or nothing , I don't want to try and force it off because I want to put it back on.
    It's probably worth it to run a CarFax on it. There's a link on the main edmunds.com page.

Steve, Host
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    Try grasping it firmly and twisting it in a counterclockwise motion (i.e.: it just unscrews). That's the way it is on my '98.
  • bbrown2bbrown2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 JGC that is doing the same whistle. I noticed that it only does it when I am not pressing on the gas. I am actually taking it in Friday to see what is up. I think it is probable a belt.
  • indypacecar82indypacecar82 Member Posts: 2
    what abou thte push button, what happend to that
  • mvinhmvinh Member Posts: 1
    My brakes lights do not come on even after I checked the fuse and the lights. Do you know if it could be the relays or something wrong with the brake lights? I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Check the brake light switch. A bad one can cause all sorts of mischief.
  • gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    youn0813, ----- Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, I just noticed your posting. Our 1995 Jeep GC, (leased NEW), was the vehicle from hell! ---- It had drive train problems, (a very loud HUM from the front differential at 55 mph, and it would get LOUDER and the speed increased). The dealer replaced two sets of gears, and finally the whole differential assembly before the noise could be eliminated. This process took numerous visits to the dealer, (no loaner vehicles available). The Jeep had electrical problems. If I stopped at a gas station, and shut off the engine while filling the tank, I would loose all electrical accessories when re-starting the engine. To regain the electrical accessories, I had to shut off the engine, and restart the engine. The brake rotors warped. There was a noise in the suspension / drive train when backing up that the dealer could NEVER locate. When I complained to the factory rep. about the "quality of the vehicle", and the money we were paying for a vehicle of such poor quality, he said: --- "I don't care how much money your are paying"! The tread on one of the original equipment tires peeled from the casing. (There was no puncture). This happened on the N.J. Turnpike at 5:00AM at 55 mph. YES, our 1995 Jeep GC was a poor quality vehicle. I would NEVER own another Jeep product.
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    I had a similar problem on my 1997 GC. After many experiments I found it to be the bearing assembly. Cost is about $140 at NAPA and is an easy replacement job with standard tools (socket set).
    On the oil leak issue, check the PCV valve / system. If it is not operating properly, the engine will build up pressure in the crankcase, and it will develop oil leaks.-----Make SURE you are using the correct PCV valve. Go by the part numbers, NOT THE OUTSIDE APPEARANCE OF THE VALVE! Not all valves that look the same on the outside, are the same on the inside.
    I would check the fuel pressure and the fuel pump volume. I think you might have a problem with the electric fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter. How much mileage on the vehicle?
  • jeepraleighjeepraleigh Member Posts: 1
    Were you able to figure out what the problem is? My jeep's doing exactly the same thing. My 2003 JGC also has an alarm that seems to be going off when we start it. It's not like a security alarm. But, it's like an alarm clock (kind of).

Thanks!
  • jodikinsjodikins Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Sometimes the turn signals work and sometimes they dont. When they work, the hazards work, but when the blinkers dont work, neither do the hazards. The brake lights and headlights work fine. I replaced the multipurpose switch and checked my fuses, bulbs and connections. The signals will work for a couple days then all of a sudden they wont work for a few weeks. It seems if they do work, then i leave it sit for a little while and drive again, they wont work. But when I drive it for about 45 minutes, they turn on. Lately they arent working at all. Anyone got any suggestions??
    Thanks,
    Jodi
    It sounds to me like a poor ground or a poor connection somewhere.
    I'd start with the turn signal\hazard fuse. Pull it out and clean the terminals.
    I'd also pull all four turn signal bulbs and clean the bases and put them back in.
    I'd bet that will fix it.
  • strohmoosestrohmoose Member Posts: 4
    I have had 6 Jeeps starting with 1984 to my current 1999 GC with 110,000 miles on it. They have all been good to me and I loved them all (with the exception of the 1984 which had the gm 4 cylinder engine..it couldn't pull a child's wagon!)

All you have to do is look at older Toyota's, Lexus's, Nissan's, and whatever else to see the much better quality and durability of the JEEP.

It is too bad that our military got sucked in by the Hummer which is a very poor military vehicle...too big to manuever with any agility and very unstable.
    Sorry, I gave you bad advice. I was confusing my Jeep with my wife's Prelude which I did remove the shift lever on a few months back.

The shifter appears to be a complete assembly where you cannot just remove the plastic handgrip. On my vehicle you would have to unbolt the whole assembly (shifter, metal mounting plate, etc.).

I can't see how you would just remove the handgrip.
    Just out of curiosity, why do you want to remove the handgrip?
  • jimmie2carjimmie2car Member Posts: 1
    I need to ask a question of a Jeep 4 speed transmission expert. How do I post a question for that?
    Thanks
    Jim
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    How do I post a question for that?

Just type it in the same way you posted your first question! You might also try posting in Jeep Grand Cherokee problems.

Good luck!

tidester, host
    I am VERY happy that you had success with Jeep vehicles. Some of us did not have a good experience with our Jeep GC, so we are sharing our experience. That is not "bashing". It is simply "telling the truth"!
  • magothymagothy Member Posts: 3
    If you see oil puddles under your 2005 GCJ after having your oil changed, do not despair. Apparently, the front bumper has a stupid design including some sort of shield attached to it - ultimately collecting oil as it is being drained and voila: oil spots under your newly serviced 2005 Jeep. Dealers are learning about this problem as the first 2005s arrive for their first oil change and and learning to clean up the "designer's" mistake.
  • daveaitkendaveaitken Member Posts: 1
    97 Laredo. Engine started cutting out intermittently at slow speeds. Eventually Jeep garage fitted new pcu after new battery and coil. Still problem exists maybe only once every 2 weeks. Now say need new O2 sensor as check engine light has came on. Not confident with garage. Any ideas?
    Check the following:
    Battery cables, (make sure all the grounds are clean and tight in the engine compartment).
    Vacuum hoses, (make sure you do not have any leaks).
    Spark plug wires, (make sure they are in good shape. With the engine at idle, in a dark area, open the hood and see if you see sparks jumping from the wires.)
    Air filter & air induction system, (check all the connections)
    PCV valve, (check the valve and all the hoses)
    Take the ignition key off your key ring. Start the engine, and gently shake the key while the engine is at idle. You might have a worn ignition switch!
    Check all the electrical connections under the hood. Make sure everything is clean and tight. With the engine running, shake the wiring gently to see if the engine cuts out.
    How much mileage on the engine? Pull the spark plugs and check the condition.
  • njjeep1njjeep1 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same stalling problem with my GC 2000 with 61,000 miles. I have sent it to 2 different Chrysler dealers who have changed the spark plugs, calibrating the firing sequence, changed the PCV valve, changed the transmission filter and oil, & checked all of the electrical wiring. I spent almost $1,000 on all of this and the car is not any better.

I wrote Chrysler and they gave me a canned response, saying that I should try to take it to yet another dealer. Their biggest concern in their e-Mail was to make sure that I did not reply to their e-Mail.

My lease is up in a few months and I can't wait to get rid of it. I will never buy a Chrysler product again. I understand that cars will have problems, but the thing that upsets me is the fact that Chrysler will not address what seems to be a very common problem. I have done a lot of research on the internet and this problems seems to affect 1000's of Jeep owners. Jeep's unwillingness to address the issue is what upsets me most.
  • philpomyphilpomy Member Posts: 2
    I have just recently purchased a used 98 GC. About a week ago, we were driving along at night and the interior lights went on all by themselves. They kept flickering on and off for the entire car ride(approx 10 min). We finally got home, turned the car off and have never had the problem again. Wierd,huh.
  • dougieodougieo Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee has just decided that it will randomly start at its own convenience. The car cranks OK when I turn the key, but periodically it won't start at all. When it does start running, it does so immediately upon cranking. Does anyone know where to start with this problem? Thanks.
  • philpomyphilpomy Member Posts: 2
    My 98 JGC has just gone into the shop for the second time in just as many months. The car started to make a noise which sounded like metal on metal scraping coming from the front drivers side tire area. It sounded horrible! The car just went into the shop(it had to be towed) and the mechanic said it was the front differential. I asked him specifically what the problem was and he stated that when the "opened the car up" that it was in "a hundred little pieces". I asked him "why?". He said that it was nothing I did or could of prevented, but that it was just something that Jeeps did. The estimate is $1600. Has anyone heard of this happening? Was there possibly a recall by Jeep and the car was never taken in to be fixed? How does something like this "just happen"? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    We had a 1995 V8 Jeep GC with front differential problems. The Jeep would "hum" at 55 mph. If you increased the speed, the "hum" became louder. This vehicle was on a 30 month lease. The dealer installed two sets of gears and related parts. The "final fix" was a complete front differential. By the time this was done to the vehicle, the lease was finished, and the Jeep was turned back to the bank. The dealer offered to lease us another vehicle at his cost, but we declined. We had just about enough of Chrysler quality and professional customer service. The Chrysler Rep was useless and VERY arrogant. The vehicle also suffered from electrical problems, and brake rotor problems. The Jeep was a total piece of junk!
  • jmg1jmg1 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2000 Jeep GC that had the A/C climate control "blen door" actuator and motor replaced 3 times by the dealer. Passenger side was blowing warm air. Something has failed again. Firest occurance cost me $600, following 2 times was on dealers warrantee.
    I have noticed the A/C clutch only hiolds in for maybe 10 sec's. Two questions?
    1. Anyone have a similar problem?
    2. Can I fix the A/C to eliminate the auto climate control and by-pass the IR sensors.Thanks
    hi all,
    In following up to a previous post I made regarding the very poor visibility in the new 2005 jeep grand cherokee.. I actually went out and traded it in at a loss for another new vehicle.

After driving for 1 month I coulnd't get used to it and my fiance' hated it also. Others/family who drove the vehicle said it was so bad it was an accident waiting to happen. I got headaches driving it becuase I was looking straight at the rearview mirror while driving and the A-Pilars so badly obstructed my view.

So on saturday, I traded it in for a big loss (6K) and got another vehicle. I would rather loose lots of $$ than kill someone like I almost did 2 weeks ago because I couldn't see them walking past my vehicle on the right. That my friends is very scary. $6k is nothing when you compare insurance in Massachusetts and if I was at fault for any accident.. chrysler wouldn't do anything and certainly would never accept partial fault for such a crap design..its too bad.. because I am a loyal jeep owner and previously owned two other Jeep GCs.

So buyers beware, the 2005 Jeep GC looks kewl and rides smooth, but the visibility is horendous and an accident waiting to happen.
  • ndtommyndtommy Member Posts: 7
    The parking lights on my '95 Cherokee Sport won't come on. Turn signals work...bulbs are ok.
    I suspected the switch, but the rear lights come on when the parking light switch is engaged. Any suggestions?
  • russlarussla Member Posts: 74
    While any failure is possible, don't buy the explanation that "jeeps do this" jeeps use DANA axles that are in many other brands. (in one incarnation or another)

usually if the gears in a Diff aren't set properly, they wear out very quickly because when out of adjustment, they can't take the forces. Since your rig is a 98, it seems that that wouldn't be the issue since it's lasted this long and wasn't humming loudly. Essentially the same front axle is in all wranglers, cherokees and Grand cherokees produced from 1984 on, so there a a lot of them out there.

Another thing that can cause distruction is bearing failure, if you were low on fluid and they got too hot, you can have problems with them failing.

Lastly, Many 98's use a VC and when it fails, it essentially means the Jeep is in Part time, all the time. this can add a lot of stress to the driveline because of binding and will break the weakest part in the system, could be a u joint, the TC chain, a CV joint, or the spider gears) eventually.

But you don't have to have a VC failure to get it to lock, you just have to have different size tires on the front and rear. if you have different sized tires (or different pressures) you will get the VC to engage, on the road, stressing your system over time.

You asked for specifics from him, and you got none! Don't let them be disrespectful to you!

Specific answers should have been like,
    The carrier broke, the axle shaft sheared, the spider gears broke, the left side bearings are toasted, etc.

once you know what actually broke, you can look at contributing factors

your $1600 estimate should include exactly what the mechanic is replacing. detailed and itemized.

For what it's worth, resetting the gears for a diff is about $350, labor when the Diff is on the rig at an axle shop. And that includes putting all new parts on while you're setting it up and putting new gears in.

so what new parts are you getting?

new wheelbearings ~300? (prob not needed)
    New Ring & pinion ~150? recommended to change if that's what broke.

New axle shafts & bearings <300 may not be needed

new carrier <100 may not be needed but is not expensive

new carrier bearings <50 recommended to change

Install kit, seals bearing etc, <90 required

new sealant on the diff cover <$5 required

new oil required <10

you probably don't need all that, & it's under 1600.

So I would look hard at what they're charging you.

Ps, since they have to take so much off,it shouldnt cost extra to put new parts back on. they may be adding new front brakes in too? but I didn't read the estimate.

What can you do different?

Make sure your tires are the same size.
    Make sure the axle is full of the right oil.
    Check to ensure the VC is not malfunctioning.

PSS

when brakes are worn too much, they make a terrible metal on metal grinding. when this situation occurs, one could probably limp to a service shop, but if there was freeway driving involved, it's safer to tow than to worry about having to have a panic stop and not having front brakes.

So the decision to tow is a reasonable recommendation when you have metal on metal because of worn brakes.

a brake job with new front rotors and front pads, and maybe back pads, can be done for $500 at a shop.

Base on what you said, I would have to eliminate this possiblity of it just being bad front brakes before I get any axle work done. I'm suspisious of the mechanic, because their specific answer was, "when we opened her up, she was in a hundred pieces".

They should be able to show you one of those pieces, btw.

one the jeep site, there is a place where you can put in you last 8 digits of your VIN and it will tell you if there are any missed recalls.
  • 05jeepstinks05jeepstinks Member Posts: 1
    Here is one for you. I purchased an 05 jeep grand cherokee with the hemi engine 4 months ago. 14 days ago the check engine light came on and to date the dealer, working directly with the service people at DC can not figure out what is wrong. They replaced every possible part and still they are getting over 30 codes and can not resolve it.

When and if I ever get this piece of junk back I probably will be doing the same thing (taking a loss) and getting another vehicle (not a DC vehicle though)