Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    In the famous Audi "unintended acceleration" case a decade or more (now that I think about it more like two decades) ago many people swore that their car just took off without driver input. Several crashed into things...other cars...buildings...garage back walls etc. After nearly driving Audi out of the U.S.A. because of the bad publicity it was determined that there was no problem with the car. I cannot remember exactly what the cause was determined to be, a too close spacing between brake and accelerator pedal I think, but the point of the whole thing was people were accidentally stepping on both pedals at once. I did this myself once revving the engine in park before dropping it into gear and when the car lurched I could not figure out what was happening for a long several seconds. I actually though the loud revving engine was sombody behind me...I could't understand how this could happen till it did, to me. I think we are conditioned to NOT have a racing engine from rest and we think it is sombody else while the car quickly drives forward and our brain is in neutral. That said, I would take the car back, politely explain that you feel it is unsafe and you are leaving it until the transmission antics are explained. There is no "educated accelerator pedal" If I remember correctly there may be a drive by wire throttle system in 2004 but it needs to "learn" nothing. It simply responds to pedal pressure and the electronic module that control this function may be a good place to start looking...in fact the up-down shifting transmission at inopportune times may also be linked. You need to be clear that you are afraid to drive the car and will leave it until it is repaired. The fact that you have driven it for 17K miles without this problem should indicate to the service dept that something has clearly failed. As a last resort take it to another dealer if the first won't take you seriously.
  • aubreylevi25aubreylevi25 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 2.7 FWD model santa fe has right around 91000 miles and for the last 4-5000 my gas mileage has dropped from 21-25 to a disgusting 10-13. There are no other problems at all and it still runs as good as ever.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Something sounds wrong -- maybe your timing belt/chain jumped a tooth and that has thrown your timing off.

Steve, Host
    If that were the case it wouldn't run properly nor would it start cleanly. With all the electronic controls on any modern vehicle that keep things running smoothly to drop fuel economy in half without any change in vehicle behavior or operation does not seem possible. If this is true there are certainly some symptoms. Maybe a hole in the fuel tank...or maybe with the high price of fuel sombody else is helping themself to your fuel??
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'd suggest sniffing the tail pipe for excess emissions (running too rich) and if that's okay then doing a compression test. Also, if you have an automatic transmission, make sure you haven't lost the overdrive gear.
  • coonkidcoonkid Member Posts: 2
    My "Little Blue Squid" (2001 Santa Fe 2.7L GLS AWD) used to winsomely flash his lights at me each time I activated the keyless entry for lock/unlock. That stopped suddenly two weeks ago. Keyless entry still works fine. :confuse: The owner's manual suggests that any open door or hatch will deactivate the acknowledgment flash. I have checked all including the hatch window and everything appears water tight. The left/right front and back blinkers work just fine. Any ideas? Also, my digital clock has gone blank in a separate and apparently common failure for these vehicles.
  • cowgirl120cowgirl120 Member Posts: 1
    I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I have a 2004 Santa Fe, at about 18K miles the heater started acting really stupid. First, this summer, the air/heat was off and the unit started clicking and the air (heat actually) started blowing on and off all by itself. Thank God my mother-in-law was in the car with me to witness it. Got to the dealer, turned the car off - it was fine. Happened again this winter, this time heat WAS on when it started to click, but was turning OFF on it's own. This last time, I had turned the heat on so that it was lightly blowing on my feet (they were cold) and noticed that it was blowing out of all the vents. Now, I know that some air does come out of the vents regardless of what you set it on, but it was blowing more than that. So I turned it to full blast and it WAS blowing out of every vent, changed the direction - still blowing out of every vent. Went to the dealership and left the car running this time so that they could take a look at it. They tell me it's supposed to be like that. Thank God husband is a mechanic for the dealership that sold the car (he works on Nissans though). At least he knows I'm not crazy!
  • metfan2metfan2 Member Posts: 1
    You should get your timing belt changed asap I had a sonata and it let go at 62,000 miles.
    If you have the automatic climate control (on LX models)it is possible the head unit is kaput..this is the brains and nervous system for the system. It inputs the desired temperature,(the temp you key in on the display) then based on the ambient, or outside temperature, verses the interior temperature decides if the heat...AC...or some mix is needed. These temperatures are monitored by both inside and outside sensors, I seem to have seen something about faulty sensors on some new Sonata's. So, it is entirely possible one of these sensors has failed and the temps monitored inside or outside is faulty therefore confusing the climate control system.
    Did it badly damage your engine when the belt failed?? What was the result in terms of damage...rebuildable?
  • dhkhthdhkhth Member Posts: 3
    I went to get my fuel filter replaced @ 60,000.00, and they did not do, because they said it was an internal fuel filter. They did not tell me anything more then that. I have recently have had 2 instances where I would give it gas, and it would hesitate for 2-3 seconds, almost as if it wasn't getting gas, and would stall. Does anyone have any info on an inline fuel filter? Or has anyone had any hesitation problems? Allso has anyone had problems with the rear latch for the back hatch being stuck open. I had the entire lock system replaced, and it was fine for a while, but it keeps getting stuck open. I live on a dirt road, and figure it may be the reason for the trouble.
    thank you,
  • teacher447teacher447 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2004 fwd Santa Fe. with 25K. How do you change the coolant in the radiator? There is a plastic cover under the bottom front of the engine, is this supposed to be removed or is there an easier way to get to the radiator pet cock? In order to flush out the coolant.
    Although there is a sock filter over the fuel pump inlet and the pump is in the fuel tank there is also an external fuel filter somewhere between the tank and the injectors. I do not know its exact location but it is there. Any dealer should be able to tell you where that filter is and how much the part costs and a price to install it. And yeah, at 60K miles it is about due for change...especially since you drive on unpaved roads. Well, to tell the truth the fuel system is closed and I'm not too sure if driving conditions have much of a bearing on the fuel filter. But since I am on filters and dirt roads the air filter needs more attention than normal also
  • rick42rick42 Member Posts: 9
    I keep reading reviews (yahoo, msn, cars.com) that the 2006 Santa Fe Limited has rear hvac ducts. I own one, but where are they? I have no idea where this has come from. Anyone know anything about it.
    Pretty sure there are, and have been for years, rear seat heat ducts under the front seats..no specific ducts for AC though. The new redesigned 2007 Santa Fe does have these features though.
  • survivor93survivor93 Member Posts: 25
    I OWN A 2003 HYUNDAI SANTE FE. AFTER 51,000 MILES OF TROUBLE FREE DRIVING, THE TRUCK HAD TO GO INTO THE DEALER TO ADDRESS A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT PROBLEM WHICH WAS CORRECTED.
    THE TECH DISCONNECTED THE BATTERY AND NEEDLESS TO SAY I LOST ALL MY SETTINGS. I WAS ABLE TO RESET EVERYTHING EXCEPT FOR THE OVER HEAD DIGITAL CALENDER BY THE SUN ROOF.
    DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO RESET THE CALENDER? THANKS !
    SURVIVOR93 :D
    see post # 1251
  • survivor93survivor93 Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for your help.
    I will give it a try. :)
  • blerner2blerner2 Member Posts: 47
    Greetings all,

I am a new Santa Fe owner as of this past week (2006 GLS 3.5L).

I must have missed it on the test drive, but whenever I brake between 35-40 mph, the steering wheel begins to vibrate/shake rapidly. It stops once below the speed falls below 35 mph.

I only have about 250 miles on the vehicle, so I'm not sure if it's a brake pad "break-in" temporary issue or there is something amiss with the brake rotors. Is this steering wheel vibration normal for this vehicle?

Has anybody had any similar experiences?
  • vjhibbsvjhibbs Member Posts: 3
    HELP HELP HELP!
    I have a problem that I have not seen on the Forum. While traveling at a variety of speeds (15 to 45 miles per hour) My Santa Fe (which I have loved to this point) has been suddenly (seemingly) shifting into either first gear or reverse. This has happen 3 times in the last month.

I can't really say this is what is happening, but that is what it feels like. The car nose dives, starts to stall (but doesn't) and the check engine light comes on. I have to pull over, turn the car off, wait a few minutes, start and it seems fine. My dealer's service people can't repeat the problem and the check engine lights are pointing to ridicules things.

I need help with this (as does my dealer). It is dangerous as it really puts the car in harms way by stopping so suddenly.

Thanks for your time. :confuse: :sick:
  • dhkhthdhkhth Member Posts: 3
    thank you for your help. I do have my dealer check airfilter every 3000. As far as fuel filter, my dealer said at 56,000.00 when I had money to spend on changing the fuel filter, said because it was enclosed that I didn't have to do it. I was very surprised because that is one of the thing at 60,000. to do in the maintenance book. Thank you for your help targettuning.
  • nyyhoonyyhoo Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if the transmission and transfer case on a 2002 Santa Fe v6 AWD are two separate compartments with reference to lubrication? and if so where is the fill plug on the transfer case? I ask because I have a slight leak from the seal on the passenger side front axle and I want to make sure that I'm not loosing oil from the transfer case and can't see the level dropping when checking the level in the transmission itself.
    more than likely it is not randomly shifting into a lower gear especially reverse. At 15 MPH it may be already in 1st or 2nd but at 45 MPH it cannot shift into either low or reverse. If these episodes have happened several times and the check engine light illuminates each time the dealer doesn't need to duplicate the problem(although it would be nice to do so)because the codes for that failure should be stored and with an OBDII code reader they can be read and evaluated.
  • alangowskialangowski Member Posts: 1
    this has happened to me twice in 10 months, both times the dealer replaced the output speed sensor. mine was an 01 4 cylinder.
  • kazeejkazeej Member Posts: 3
    Today, my '02 Santa Fe decided it wasn't going to blow air any more. The compressor runs, but no air come out the vents. I pulled and checked ALL the fuses (under the hood, and under the dash), but they all checked out ok. I checked for voltage at the fan, and there was nothing there. There has to be a selenoid or switch somewhere that I don't know about. Any ideas on where else to look?
    Thanks!
    Jack
    how about the switch for the fan? Voltage to the input of the switch....failed switch... no voltage out... no fan.
    I took it to the shop this morning. They found the fan was locked up, which burned out the switch. When they called the local dealer for parts, they were told this was a fairly common problem on the Santa Fe.
  • vjhibbsvjhibbs Member Posts: 3
    The check engine lights are false. The dealer says that they come on because of the jolt. This problem is random and very dangerous. It happen to my daughter tonight and she was so upset she called me to come get the car. Any specific thoughts on what might be causing this problem.

I am afraid I don't believe what your dealer is trying to tell you. A severe jolt will not, in of itself, trigger a check engine lamp. On the other hand whatever caused the jolt may or more probably WILL trigger a check engine. I would absolutely take the car to either the selling or servicing (the one where you bought the car if purchased new) dealer and flatly state you feel the car is unsafe and you are going to leave it until it the failure is experienced and verified. State that you would like the service manager drive the car daily (home and back) for however long it takes and you would like a loaner car in the meantime. If that doesn't fly with them I suggest you seek another close Hyundai dealer and go through that routine with them. I or anybody else who would like to suggest something meaningful "long distance" cannot do so because modern vehicles are simply so complex a guess is probably not useful. In spite of everything you have experienced your dealer with their trained techs. and specialized equipment is your best bet...if you can convince them you feel the car is unsafe and you refuse to drive it until repaired. Beyond that contact Hyundai of America and tell your story to them and they may light a fire under your dealer. Check back and good luck.
    I guess it's OK to reply to your own message. :)
    The parts are supposed to be in, so we're bringing the SF back to the shop tomorrow. In Florida, you can request that the old parts be returned to you. I'll be making that request. I've had fans go out before, and they have never burned out the switch. Seems to me, if the fan wouldn't turn at all, a fuse should have blown.
    Has anyone else seen this before?
    JK
  • bcuddbcudd Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2002 Sante Fe new and have owned it for four years. For the last three years I've had the same problem with the AC fan. It just stopped again today and now the local Hyundai dealer is trying to make it sound like it is a different problem. The first repair was under warranty. The second cost me almost $500. Now I've got to get the thing repaired yet again. Has anyone had any luck with Hyundai stepping up to the plate and taking care of what appears to be a trend??
  • aliciamay22aliciamay22 Member Posts: 1
    Same thing happened to me on my 05 Santa Fe about 1000 miles in. It ended up being that my rotors were out of round. They fixed it for me, even though it took 3 hours, but I didn't have to pay. Hope this helps
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    we had a 2003 sonata that did almost the same thing. after having to bring it back to the dealer 5 times we called customer service. the transmission was finally replaced. we had the input-output sensors replaced 4 times.The dealer was excellant and went out of there way to try to fix it. It would work for awhile and then do it again. they told us to call customer service to see what could be done.good luck. we got free loaner cars while they fixed it each time.
  • pattyrobbinspattyrobbins Member Posts: 1
    I need your help! Right now my 2003 Santa Fe is once again in the dealers and they are telling me they can't find anything wrong with my car. As I am driving down the road and speeds from 15-45 mph the car will act like the transmission is slipping or the car hesitates going into the next gear and jerks ahead that it almost feels like you ran something over. The check engine light does not come on. I also was driving down the interstate in traffic, going about 15 mph and the car cut off. It did turn back on after a few attempts. I am sick to death of the service manager telling me it doesn't do it for him or that there isn't a code for the problem. Help me please. Does anyone know what the problem can be? Thanks, Patty
  • karenekarene Member Posts: 1
    Patty, I have an 03 Santa Fe and am experiencing the same exact problems. A clunking noise in the transmission as it feels like it is slipping either accelerating or slowing down. A couple weeks ago it stalled on me as I pulled into my parking spot at work. I do not have any lights come on either. I have not spoken to the service manager yet about this problem, I thought I would check online first. I will definetly let you know when I contact the service manager and let you know what happened, may be next week. Karen
  • joykeljoykel Member Posts: 1
    The same things has happened to me. I have a 2003 Santa Fe, which has been an angel up until 2 weeks ago. I noticed the problem while driving on the highway. The car seemed as though it was having problems changing gears (it's an automatic). It happened again today. I was getting off the highway, decelerating and the car seemed as if it was having a problem, it "skipped a few beats". It also turned off on my husband and started up ago after a few minutes. I called the dealership and they had no clue what I was talking about. I am bringing it in Monday and they have to have an answer for me and a way to fix the problem. Has anyone had the problem fixed on their car? Please help!!! :confuse: I will let everyone know what the dealership says.
    These types of problems where the auto trans doesn't seem to be shifting correctly can sometimes be attributed to a faulty VSS or vehicle speed sensor. It is external to the transmission and can be replaced relatively economically.
  • 1234693112346931 Member Posts: 17
    what is faulty part in message #1333
    what are tranny parts (out put speed--in put speed sensor?) is there a way to tell if they are bad? are they warranty items?
    It is a POTENTIAL faulty part and it is the vehicle speed sensor. How do you know if it has failed? take it to a Hyundai dealer who has the OBD II scanner and the means to decode the fault codes stored in the engine management computer...if any are stored.
    targettuning thanx for the help & please excuse the short message I posted. I am on web tv, not a computer, so the forum boards come up as a split screen, with ads on one side & messages on the other, with no capeability to move screen left or right I have scheduled a dealer appt, for 7/3
  • karenykareny Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Santa Fe started making a whistleing noise on the way home from the last oil change at the Hyundai dealership. When applying the brake it stops. I have an appointment to have it checked but would appreciate any information anyone who has had this problem may have. Thank you.
    I took the vehicle to millennium hyundai, in hempstead new york. they said they found a TSB on this problem number 044007 and damper clutch shudder transmission control module reprogramming instructions tey performed the suggested repair. and so far the vehicle seems like new. I might add, they wereextremely careing & hospitable. this might be the answer to essages1315--1330 (patty)--1332
  • highlander9highlander9 Member Posts: 4
    I have a '03 Santa Fe which I bought new. I have only put 20,000 miles on the car. My problem is periodically when I am braking, the car slows, then all of the sudden the engine seems to race, as the car picks up speed, and the ABS apparently kicks in (I hear the noise the ABS makes), as I'm pushing like heck on the brake pedal to stop the vehicle. This is a dangerous problem, but since it doesn't happen every time, the the dealership is stumped. They have driven the vehicle and can't seem to find anything wrong with it... Has anyone else come across this problem?
    there are roughly 53 TSB bulletins on the 03 santa fe, a number of them cover brake problems. you can read up on them , on another part of this site, for "maintance". I would go back to the dealership, or call them and have them read up on the bulltins.. if they are being unreceptive, II would call hyundai consumer affairs and open a "file" on the vehicle Hyundaiconsumer affairs, were very resposive & helpful in my case.
  • auspinoauspino Member Posts: 3
    I just bought my Santa fe 2005 and the only problem is the cd(mp3) player. It won't play discs with mp3 on it :confuse: . Has anyone else had this problem? I also noticed that its a bit sluggish on take off and I've been told to upgrade the chip to get more power and torque....is that true?
  • highlander9highlander9 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you --

Again, after having my car in the shop for 3 days, and the dealership could find nothing wrong, I drove the '03 Santa Fe home with no brake problems thus far. But I really can't count on it.

I'm going to the "maintenance" site now... And calling Hyundai consumer affairs to "open" a file on my vehicle" make sense...

Thank you again.
    I cannot address the audio problem but on the Hyundai Sonata site there have been comments on the inability to play MP3 discs and someone there cited a "warning comment" in the owners manual concerning these. You might check your owners manual audio section to see if this also applies to Santa Fe.
    If you have the 2.7 liter 4WD version it could be perceived as being slightly sluggish but consider that it has about 173 hp to move 4000 lbs of SUV. The 3.5 liter version has no such problem and spins the front tires easily. I would not spend the hundreds of dollars for a dubious chip "upgrade" by some after market programmer/company that may disturb other functions and certainly may affect that wonderful warranty in a negative way.
  • nightflyernightflyer Member Posts: 2
    My Santa Fe is 30 months old with 25,000 miles on the clock. The clutch was slipping so I took it to the dealer. The receptionist said that Hyundai had problems with some clutches where the flywheel caused premature wear and it was probably covered under the warranty. When they took it apart they said they could not identify any manufacturer fault and it was down to me. I had to pay £1000 (Sterling) for the new clutch and flywheel. Has anyone had a similar problem or any good advice on how to proceed. I've owned at least 30 cars in my lifetime and never damaged a clutch yet.
  • auspinoauspino Member Posts: 3
    Maybe I will change the engine to the 3.5 ltr or I might just leave it as is. ;)