Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• bkirk1bkirk1 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2007 gls Santa fe auto with 2500 miles. The car is pretty good it rides and handles great. My problem has been excessive tire noise or the drive train. The tires have been balanced and checked by the dealer and the Hyundia field rep they say the noise is normal and does'nt need a repair. I also have a clicking noise in the front when I first start off or go from fwd to rev. Dealer says I have to wait till the noise gets worst??? Has anyone else had these issues.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    Suggest you get their diagnossis and recommendation in writing...specifically.."wait until it get worse"...sheese...and on a new car too! I would complain to Hyundai cust service about that one and go on record there too!
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    Yep. Thought it was the cold but I hear it constantly from forward or reverse just when you start off. Thought I was too hard on it so I started to go easy but I still hear the click but only when I start out. Does not seem to be a performance issue but its worth mentioning to the shop and have it on record.

Limited AWD w/ 6700 miles.
    Still sounds like a defect of some sort...It is cold here too and was really cold in the beginning of Feb when i bought it.... and I have not heard any clicks or noises from My AWD 2007 SE.

I start it...let it run for 20 seconds or so and then put into reverse...so far...all is normal. IN FACT IT IS very QUIET. fORGET THE PERFORMANCE THING...YOU DID NOT PAY FOR CLICKS AND DO NOT WANT THEM! imho
    BTW: have them check your tie rods...just a guess.

Geez, I hope we have not bought a 1st year "in the shop mobile" However, we must remember that most forums tend to attract people with trouble and HOPEFULLY the new SF is solid stable ride...I am not in the mood to be getting another auto so soon and as we know these get killed the first few years...worse than the others.

Heck, gas is going up so fast, my driving habits are changing anyway.....my milage is about 15 city and 23 hwy...normal for an SUV I guess.

One thing that attracted me was the roadside assistance program as well...

Funny when researching before I bought...all was great...Now I am becoming a bit nervous about my purchase. THIS FORUM IS A GREAT ONE!
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I have noticed the tire noise also. It changes depending on the type of pavement you are on. I think it is more a trait associated with the bridgestone tire. It is not that loud, but is noticeable. I will definitely not put the same tires on it when I replace them. If you find out anything different, please let us know. Thanks.
    Hi all,
    Thanks for the feedback. The tire noise does depend on the pavement type old rough pavement is the loudest. but in New Hampshire thats all we have. I even had the air in the tires replaced with put nitrogen. That did make the tire feel better on the road but it didn't change the noise level. The clicking sounds like its in the axles or transmission and only happens when you first start off in forward or reverse. I already have a call into the hyundai rep in New Jersey. It seems that the dealers are poorly trained and dont have a good communications with Hyundai.
  • getusmonstergetusmonster Member Posts: 5
    Well, The 2003 santa is still sporadically dying. The dealership however says that it needs to be verifiable. It hasnt died for them and they gave it back to us. 10 Fu#$(*g minutes later it died. We return and they keep it for a week still nothing so we are getting it back. Damn this warranty. Do you guys know if this is Hyundai's policy, or just a dealer policy. Pelican, you seem to be the adjunct forum admin what do you think?
  • davesuvdavesuv Member Posts: 149
    Hi bkirk1,

Is the clicking sound you are describing a repetitive clicking (click-click-click-click.....) that continues as you drive or does it just happen once each time you start driving?

The electronically controlled braking system in the 2007 Santa Fe's goes through a self-diagnostics each time you turn on the ignition and start driving, usually at about 10 to 15 mph. It will momentarily pulse the brakes, which can be heard as a soft click or thump coming from under the car. I can easily hear it if I actively listen for it. Otherwise you might not notice it. This is normal.

2007 Santa Fe AWD Limited with Premium and Touring packages
    Dark Cherry Red with beige leather interior
    The clicking seems to be the cv joints. I will bet a weeks salary on it. I have the shop looking at it Sat. Will update when I know more...
    I understand how frustrated you must be. I traded in my 03 for the 07 and we had a similar issue. While driving it would just cut out. Had it towed back to the dealer only for it to start right up when they tried. After several trips they discovered it was a crank sensor I think. Unfortunately they cant fix what isnt broken at the time. They must justify the parts they replace or they will NOT be compensated for the parts and labor. The dealer has to put some effort into the diagnosis. In my case when they kept it they used it quite often. 122 miles to be exact but it did fail and they had to get it towed back. hahahah. How does it feel. It sounds like your dealer isnt making an honest effort to fix it. If you have another dealer within a reasonable distance from home I would give them a crack at it. Keep us posted. Good luck...

Anthony ( Pelican19 ) SI, NY
    Hi,
    The noise is when you just start out well before the antilock arms. it happens in reverse or forward. It does'nt happen once you get going.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    just a thought... when they drove it and drove it for those 122 miles, what exactly were they hoping to learn, i mean without the vehicle tricked out with instrumentation to somehow capture the event, they had no additional information on sleuthing the problem than they had when you first brought it in...except in my humble opinion to verify for themselves that you were truthful.

so yeah, they should start replacing stuff on getusmonster's vehicle to see if the problem arises again. sending someone off with a "couldn't duplicate" and no change to the vehicle is a sign.
    I have decided that every time it dies, i will take it back and get one of their loaners. This way I am putting miles on their car and due to the fact that this is a small dealership, they have to give me a car they are trying to sell as a loaner. So far, the last three weeks, I have out some 600 miles on their vehices. Hahaha. I also call them to tow it every time it dies now, which so far has cost them alot in fuel for their tow truck. They have decided that since They are spending so much money on me it would be cheaper to fix the vehicle so they are going in and just replacing what they think it is, which is the crank sensor. If that aint it they are gonna replace something else until it works.
    well, that is a sound strategy, except you have to incur the inconvenience each time it happens... i would be livid about a vehicle dying in traffic (more than once). sounds like your using your head to get what you ultimately what/need.

i would think after three fixes, you qualify for lemon law. not sure. but that doesn't seem to be a done deal (arbitration).

i think if it's happening regularly, then when they do replace something like the crankshaft sensor, you're likely to know if they've properly identified the problem.

if they do, i suggest you somehow recognize them for the effort (maybe a letter to the dealership or something). this is incase you need additional good will down the road on another issue.
    Exactly my thoughts on the procedure. I like the idea of the letter recognizing them for their assistance which also might be a bird in the hand later down the road.
  • dezman1dezman1 Member Posts: 16
    Anyone Please. New to this website but have been tracking all the awesome discussion on just about everything mentionable about this fabulous SUV. Just picked up a 07 Santa Fe, GLS out here in Honolulu, HI.
    My question is whether your 07's horn honk once when engaging security system from the remote sort of alerting you that it the vehicle is locked? The lights flash when I disengage or unlock the vehicle.
    By the way, I had the dealership set the auto door locks the day I picked it up so that works. Wondered since i have no way to know if the horn suppose to sound when you engage the lock.
    Can anyone advise on their own experience? Just would be nice to know that if it suppose to be silent, then it's okay. No biggie. If it suppose to honk, then I got to call my dealership.

So far, coming from driving a 98' Nissan Pathfinder which is still running fab, have been quite pleased with this Hyundai. Needed a second set of wheels for licensed teen.
    Aloha, :shades:
    On my 07 SE, the horn honks after the SECOND push on the lock button...then the red flashing light goes solid. Ist push...No honk but the doors lock. Hope that helps.
    There is an additional feature to the horn honking. If you press the remote once the doors will lock and the system will eventually arm itself. By pressing it twice you identify the doors ( Including the rear hatch are not ajar. It will only Honk if the doors are fully closed. If you dont get a honk on the second press of the remote something is ajar. Pretty cool feature since the truck is so tight, sometimes the driver side front door doesnt fully engage the lock.
  • jimsistjimsist Member Posts: 62
    also if the dealer did not program he horn to sound then all you need to do is ask them to set the program the same way they did for the door locks.then the horn will sound.
  • jbadjbad Member Posts: 3
    Can someone outline how to go about doing a tune-up? My Santa Fe runs rough and stalls after heavy rain. Or is there something else that may be the problem? It's due for a tune-up anyway...
    Your correct. My apologies. I chose not to mention it since this feature is enabled by default...
    The problem with my santa fe turned out to be a faulty air calibration sensor inside of the mass air sensor. It was causing no readings of air and thus made the computer think that it was sending all fuel and no air and shutting off the motor. They finally found he problem because it stalled on them and they had the computer hooked up while driving it. Everything s back to usual though with the santa fe.

Thanks to all who replied.
    Thats great news. Good luck...
  • dezman1dezman1 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks all who commented.

I have to contact the dealer tomorrow to see if their shop can reset the codes.

Having that feature is nice to have especially at malls so that I can be certain the car is absolutely locked as i am walking away.

Havbe a good one all.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    First things.
    Is the Check engine light on?
    How many miles?

If you do a tune up, Use only the specified spark plugs.
    Plug Type
    NGK/Denso PGR5C-11
    Champion RN10PYP4
    These are platinum plugs and are recommended for replacement at 60k miles.
  • jbadjbad Member Posts: 3
    Yes, check engine light was on. 120,000 miles. I've owned it from 70,000. Did timing belt, crankshaft position sensor, some other small belt under timing cover that I forget the name of at the moment but it smoothes the idle, all at 110,000. Since my original posting, I did take a look under the cover to try and get an idea of what I would need to find that the wires looked like crap. I changed the 2 wires and it seems good so far. Now my question is whether or not the "coils" on cylinders 2 & 4 need changing at tune-ups or should I now just do the four plugs? I'm guessing that they are expensive. I didn't change the plugs as of yet because I needed a quick fix to get by for a couple of days. The 2 new wires that tie 1 to 4 & 2 to 3 plus a little STP Wire Drier and I made it to the weekend.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    No, the coils should not need replacing, unless you damage them for some reason.
    Generally, when they fail, they go completely and you lose 2 cylinders.
  • choochabobchoochabob Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Santa Fe 3.5 since March '04. I haven't had any problems performance wise or mechanical. Knock on wood!
    However, a few weeks ago my air bag light came on which after reading about it in the owners manual suggested a weight sensor was or could be malfunctioning. I checked the wiring under the drivers seat and whala! the light went out.....for a few weeks. Now it's back on and wiggling wires hasn't cured the problem. Is there a simple fix or do I need to take it to the dealership for who knows what kind of explanation I'll get. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    it's an '04. the best thing to do is bring it in. i presume it is under warranty. you don't want to be in the position where your passenger isn't protected.

it could be that the wires in the connector have gone bad. however, i presume the first time you played with the wires, you actually applied weight to the seat while checking. i tend to think it's the sensor.

i'm just guessing though...

do you have anything sitting in the passenger's seat? ;)

try this test: start the car in park with the emergency brake on, and get in the passenger seat. does the light go off when you get in the passenger seat? if that's the way it is supposed to work, the light goes off when there is adequate weight in the seat (this is how it works in my van), and if the light goes off when you are sitting in the seat, then the connector and wiring are working, follow me? the you'd have to suspect the calibration / location / proper operation of the sensor in the seat.

in my van, a honda, if there is nothing in the seat, the light is off. if inadequate weight is in the seat (child or my laptop and books, or wife's "hand bag"), then the light will go on, indicating the bag is disabled because the occupant is too small to be protected by the system). when an adult is in the seat, the light stays off.
    wish i could offer more. either way - get it fixed.

hope i didn't confuse you.

((my bet is on the seat sensor)).
  • choochabobchoochabob Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response on the air bag light. I left out one other item of thought. It's also tied in to the Seat belt connection. The manual states that after a few seconds once the seat belt is connected the light will go off. Also, and I'm not sure, I think it is the drivers seat and not the passenger seat. Origionally, I played with the wires under the drivers seat only. Additionally, I didn't give it a thought that this could be covered by Hyundai warranty. We sometimes think only mechanical for warranty. Thanks for the insite. I'll give the dealership a call and inquire.
  • deanov6deanov6 Member Posts: 13
    I had exactly the same problem but on a different car (not a Hyundai). As you suspect at the moment, in my case it turned out to be the connector under the seat that connects the wires that go to the seat belt pre-tensioners (also considered to be part of the SRS system - normally we only think of air bags). I unplugged the connectors WD40'd them and plugged them all back together and everything was fine from then on.
  • joblackjoblack Member Posts: 11
    Can someone tell me what buckets are in my Santa Fe engine? Thanks
  • wjthompsonwjthompson Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I'm just bought a used 2003 with 46k and it seems to have a tap/click that comes from the steering wheel when you start out. You can feel it in the wheel itself. Is that similar to your situation and has anyone else had this?
    Thanks!
    Bill T.
  • oracle_of_rockoracle_of_rock Member Posts: 58
    I own a 02 Santa Fe LX AWD V6 and it needs new spark plugs (w/70,000 miles). Is it difficult to replaced the plugs?? Do you need special tools?? It doesn't look like you have much room to maneuver on the bank of cylinders facing the firewall!!

I'm afraid replacing the timing belt is way out of my league so does anybody have an idea about how much this job should cost at the dealership??

Thanks -- Rick
  • trailaddicttrailaddict Member Posts: 1
    Just got a quote today (5-7-07) from the Fort Collins, CO dealer re: replacing the timing belt on my 02 Santa Fe. $475.
  • dorvasondorvason Member Posts: 3
    My 01' that I just bought five months ago, sounds like it has the same problem. Did yours ever dim the lights when you touched any button while driving, or while idling does it just cut out after a a couple mins? I would like to know how you solved your problems, please.
  • paradise422paradise422 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe. Occasionally when I attempt to fill up at the gas station the vehicle will not accept the gas. The nozzle will "click off" every time I squeeze it. I either have to put the gas in at an extremely low volume (which takes forever and is very difficult to do), or remove the negative terminal on the battery to "reset" the electronic system.
    Has anyone experienced this problem?
    What is the cause of the problem?
    Is there a cure?
    Please advise...
  • 1234693212346932 Member Posts: 33
    does anyone know if there is a web site, for a parts manual, for the 2003 santa fe? thank you
  • wjthompsonwjthompson Member Posts: 3
    Have you looked at http://hmaservice.com
    wjthompson, thanx for the reply. tried the site, couldn't find a parts manual.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Steve, thanx for the reply. unfortunately, that site comes up "this site no longer available"
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    that site comes up "this site no longer available"

That's ours and as far as I know it's been up all day. It could have been a temporary glitch but it works fine for me. Please try it again! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    The link to the Edmunds page that you provided works fine. Once you get there, the link to "Parts and Accessories" (on the Hyundai USA site) takes you to a page that's no longer available.
    lol, I don't think it's in the cards for you to get parts for your Santa Fe!

I see what y'all mean about Doohickie's "direct link" to the parts lookup not working. It was nice while it lasted. Maybe there's another way there if you register at HyundaiUSA. Otherwise I bet they closed it down for the general public.
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    Yeah, looks that way. :(

Sorry folks.

I used that fairly frequently too. I just hope they keep WebTech up and running.

I have seen Hyundai take things down temporarily for maintenance and upgrades, but that "no longer available" note is ominous.

The pics I direct linked still work though. I wonder if Hyundai noticed that and that's part of the reason they took down the access!?
    that site comes up "this site no longer available"

That's ours and as far as I know it's been up all day. It could have been a temporary glitch but it works fine for me. Please try it again!

Do you mean "ours" as in you work for Hyundai? Is there any way to ask why there was a change in customer access? I think they will see over-the-counter parts sales drop as a result.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Do you mean "ours" as in you work for Hyundai?

No! I meant ours as in carspace/edmunds. I didn't drill far enough to see the problem.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Here's another resource you can try:

Online Repair Manuals

I can get access to the Auto Repair Reference Center through my public library for example, and it has lots of parts diagrams for my Nissan.
    If I get any answers from Hyundai I'll update the Guide and let everyone know.