Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• lshirley2lshirley2 Member Posts: 14
    My 2001 v6 has 17,000 trouble free miles until last week. All of a sudden it was hard to start and wouldn't shift right. The check engine light came on so I went to the dealer at once. It seems that an electronic sensor for the transmission shorted out, not too serious but a pain to drive. It took several days to get the part in due to Thanksgiving holiday, but all is right with the world now and the suv drives as good as ever. My dealer had not seen this problem before. While waiting for the car I looked at the 2002 Santa Fe. Except for a better radio, with tape deck, every thing else looked the same as the 2001. So I guess my car will still look new even though its a year old now.
  • lchatt55lchatt55 Member Posts: 11
    We purchased our V6 GLS 4WD SF on 11/18/01 and were traveling to Lake Tahoe on 12/26 with 1,622 miles on the car when the engine sputtered and died on hwy 50. We waited 3 hours for the tow truck and fortunately a dealer was only a few miles away. It took only about 15 minutes to diagnose that the engine was blown. They knew the problem immediately because another SF was there with a blown engine at 3,900 miles. What they told us was that there were early production engines that had a problem with the cylinder sleeves. They said the sleeves had come loose and caused the pistons to smash into the spark plugs. They showed us the smashed plug. The service department bent over backwards to help us. They put us in a comparable 4WD vehicle which we used for our vacation. They replaced the engine and were testing it when that engine blew. The 3rd engine is still working fine at 14,500 miles. Had several other problems like an electric short and a bad transfer case and the car has been in the shop for a total of 34 days. Believe it or not we really like the car but don't trust it to go on a long trip which is why we bought a new car. The warranty works great. We have not paid a nickel towards repairs and have always been offered a courtesy car.
  • texasbrewcrewtexasbrewcrew Member Posts: 2
    I was planning to buy a SF this coming week but after finding this sight and reading the problems with the transmission and the engines blowing up I am no longer confident.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    ...and you'll be using it a lot.
  • pnw1pnw1 Member Posts: 11
    Alas, my 2001 LX AWD was in the shop again last week as I noticed the the washer fluid would be gone in about a week. After adding the fine RainX product in bright pink, I notice a rather large leak. After inspection it turned out the be the washer motor that was the issue. It was replaced the next day, and seems to be working fine now. I got the usual good service, but, now that I've had my standard three factory defects as noted in C.R. (Stripping, Washer Motor, Seat Frame) I'm greatful I bought the extended warranty. I love the car, but like others, the mileage is low, the pickup is so so, the high end stereo crackles. The seat is not as comfortable as I hoped it would be... So, I can't say I'm issue free, but, on the other hand, these are hardly major issues and have been taken care of during regular service visits and not been a problem to me. But, I never had these kind of issues with my Toyota, that's for sure. Though, I would say that if I had to do it over again. I'd still buy the Santa Fe, and since I'm going going to keep it till it rusts away. I still feel I got a great vaule for the dollar.
  • scout19scout19 Member Posts: 13
    Well gang.... Seems that the fours, are not alone in regards to dealer replacement. My engine was replaced at 7754 miles. Problem was timing belt jumped three teeth at cam gears twice, this caused very rough idle low power and who knows what other internal damage... Hyundai's first quick fix " mold a new valve cover with a added tensioner to tighten up the rubber timming belt" They tried that the first time --no good. My Santa-Fe Nov. 2001......... In the rush to get these Santa-Fe's to market Engineering missed a few things.--The new designed belt and valve timing cover along with larger timing gears has given me over 16000 care free driving miles........the new engine works as advertised,flawless and not a penny out of my pocket............Scout19
  • lrchomelrchome Member Posts: 130
    I am a little surprised to read about these Santa Fe problems. I have had my Santa fe LX for 14 months and have 11,000 miles and the vehicle has been flawless. In fact the transmission shifts smoother than when I first got it, and it was very smooth then. My Santa Fe rides , looks , and handles the same as when I bought it, absolutels no problems.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    I Just thought that I would drop in to say hello to all in here and update you on a few things.
    My Santa Fe now has over 9,000 miles on it. I have done some pretty heavy duty driving within the last few months and I have to tell you that this vehicle is really holding up better than did my piece of junk RX300. I have done lots of 4 wheel driving in the mountains and in some bad weather with my Santa Fe. I have not had any problems like I did when I used to own my RX300.
    For all the people in here who are experiencing problems with their Santa Fe's, make use of your warranties. You all have the best warranty that there is around on your Santa Fe vehicles. I wish I could of had a standard 100,000 mile warranty on my RX300 like we all have now on our Santa Fe vehicles. Back when I used to own my RX300, Lexus did not even have a 100,000 mile standard warranty and I had lots of mechanical and quality problems with my Lexus which Lexus did not want to take care of and fix. I ended up selling this vehicle and purchasing my new 2001 Santa Fe that I own now. It's the best thing that I did. I love this car better. It is better built than the other junker which I had before and it costed less too.
    Hyundai really has an excellent warranty unlike some other manufacturers. So far, I have not needed to use mine, but it is still available for me to use up until the vehicle reaches 100,000 miles if I ever need it. Don't worry about your Santa Fe's. Hyundai will fix all the problems on your vehicles with the warranty. Just have fun with your Santa Fe and drive it.
    And don't mind the people who come in here from the other more expensive upper crust SUV forums (Lexus & Mercedes) and who put down your Santa Fe. Some people are jealous that you paid much less for your vehicle and they want to make you feel low that you own a Hyundai and not a Lexus or Mercedes SUV. Don't worry about that. They like to pull your chain. Your purchase of a Hyundai was the best thing that happened to you next to sliced bread. Just enjoy your vehicles and don't worry. Your vehicles will last you a lifetime.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Good advice!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • billtungbilltung Member Posts: 255
    My odometer read 39,000 Km now.

Air-cond's fan motor defect again (making noise) 2 months ago, of course later replaced by a new part. The 1st time was happened 1 week after I bought the SF.

There is occasionally brake squeezing noise when applying brake in slow speed. Have checked the brake pads in shop but still have 40% in fronts & 80% in rears. Will go back to shop after x'mas to make sure Hyundai fixs those noise which is very annoying!

Have performed No. 7 "oil change" 2 weeks ago. But the last 2 times was just using regular 10W30 oil, compare to Synthetic 5W30 before.

Besides the brake noise problem, my SF is still very smooth, lots of power(air-cond off, using Shiftronic).

Still think SF styling beats New Honda CR-V & Jeep Liberty.
  • billtungbilltung Member Posts: 255
    My odometer read 39,000 Km now.

Air-cond's fan motor defected again (making noise) 2 months ago, of course later replaced by a new part. The 1st time was happened 1 week after I bought the SF.

There is occasionally brake squeezing noise when applying brake in slow speed. Have checked the brake pads in shop but still have 40% in fronts & 80% in rears. Will go back to shop after x'mas to make sure Hyundai fixs those noise which is very annoying!

Have performed No. 7 "oil change" 2 weeks ago. But the last 2 times was just using regular 10W30 oil, compare to Synthetic 5W30 before.

Besides the brake noise problem, my SF is still very smooth, lots of power(air-cond off, using Shiftronic).

Still think SF styling beats New Honda CR-V & Jeep Liberty.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
  • mary75mary75 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 GLS with 26,000 miles on it. I notice a sound while breaking. Is this just the way the brakes sound? Also when I bought this vehicle it had the windshield replaced and now I notice distortion in the lower 1/8 of the visual field and reflection of the defroster air vents. Anyone else had this experience?
  • john795john795 Member Posts: 6
    I am just starting to experience the thumping sound from my 2001 AWD .I have read of this problem on the board before. it sounds like a hollow thump from the front end while going over any bump in the road no matter how small it is. it doesn't matter what position the steering wheel is in. any thoughts or up dates. Thanks
  • fax1fax1 Member Posts: 11
    Well, it was an unfortunate experience i had that ended my membership with the hyundai family. Being my 4th hyundai i was use to superior service and concern from the hyundai company, when my 01 lx 2wd 4cyl 5speed suddenly started to act as a fired up bank mule and nearly putting you through the windshield i took it to the shop, after 3 weeks of them telling me there was no problem with the car, i traded it today for a crew cab chevy s-10 i really hope you guys get the service you deserve from hyundai, i sure didn't, everything was my responsibility. Hyundai is now a bad word in my household. and as for the thumping, have them replace the struts..had that problem 2 times in 3 months. As for the rough start, thats a normal hyundai thing, all 4 of mine had that problem.
    good luck
    fax1
  • mastrvmastrv Member Posts: 16
    Hey fax1, how is your heart? I mean, to quote another of your posts from the Kia forum:

-------------------

with hyundai...I REALLY NEED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS!! where can i find info about this..my first new car was a 1997 accent gs...i crashed it..my airbag didnt deploy for amost 10 seconds..long enough to pull my head back through the windshield...and because i had just pulled my head through..my chest was touching the steering wheel..and when the airbag deployed it damaged my heart..resulting in 3 heart attacks at 19 years of age..so i would really like to learn more about the time it takes the airbag to deploy?

-------------------

Let me get this, you were 19 in 1997 and have owned 4 Hyundai's and 1 Kia. I hope your Daewoo is doing fine too. That's 6 cars in 4 years. And, you had 3 heart attacks at 19 years of age due to an airbag deploying...after you pulled your head back THROUGH the windshield. Good one. LOL. I wish you well with your Chevy S-10 and think that you deserve that fine piece of work!
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    "Engine failures hit Hyundai SUVs"

"Company says 290 Santa Fe models have experienced problems with cylinder liners, but it has no plans for a recall."

January 8, 2002

By CHRIS KNAP and ELIZABETH AGUILERA

The Orange County Register

LINK:

http://www.ocregister.com/news/hyundai00108cci1.shtml

• harry31harry31 Member Posts: 128
    >"Engine failures hit Hyundai SUVs" by phonos
    >=============

Lets see... That was in 2000. This is 2002. Can you say, "Old news"? I KNEW you could. =;-)
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    Ok, won't post anymore regarding Santa Fe on this board.

Bye --
    is this statement from them in the news release referenced below:

"Halper said...Hyundai did not report the problems to NHTSA because the company doesn't believe it is a safety issue."

Now mind you this regards hundreds of Santa Fe engines suddenly and without warning breaking down 100% and needing a complete engine swap.

Let's say you were on the highway or freeway... driving your family with the wife and two small infants (The Twins) plus Grandpa and Grandma... both with heart conditions...and your Santa Fe dies at 70 mph in the middle of the road...in the middle of nowhere at night...in the freezing cold and rain and sleet...so what'sHyundai's official response, considering the fact that they KNEW THE ENGINES were defective? -

"Don't worry, it's not a safety issue."

Of course, you have their 100k drivetrain warranty - so why worry?

Great reading:

http://www.ocregister.com/news/hyundai00108cci1.shtml

Yeah! To be REALLY safe we should buy a REAL sport ute, with a REAL engine made by a REAL auto company. Like the Ford Explorer. That was the vehicle that Ford said, "...had no safety problems." =;-)
  • dlewis513dlewis513 Member Posts: 4
    I have to be a petty smart@$$ for a second here. I didn't figure anyone would mind since it seems to be a common problem (for a few people, at least). Hey Jeffmust2, in your little "you, your wife, the Twins, Grandpa and Grandma" scenario was Grandma strapped to the roof? She'd have to be since the Santa Fe seats FIVE and "you, your wife, the Twins, Grandpa and Grandma" add up to SIX.
    Simple.

Grandma and Grandpa each are holding one of The Twins.

Guess you just don't get it -- "It's not a safety issue" according to Hyundai.

So why bother using seat belts the right way, eh?

Although I like your idea of strapping Grandma to the roofrack - but doesn't that have a max capacity of 100 lbs or so?
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    Actually, Sante Fe rack is rated at a mere 75 lbs so grandma better be 4'-6" tall and thin as a rail!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This conversation reminds me of a classic urban legend. Anyone got any problems or fixes to report?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Steve:
    No Hyundai problems here but how about that 100 mile per gallon carburetor that Big Oil bought up and took off the market .
    I'd be interested in how you were treated at the dealership as to loaner cars, time to fix, etc.
    Check this out - Santa Fe owners might want to join this lawsuit:

http://www.bigclassaction.com/class_action_hyundai.html

Funny link, jeffmust2. Lots of "possibles" and "maybes", and "we'll forward your claim to a lawfirm." Biggest surprise is that there's no claim page for Toyota sludge - they seem to have every other potential claim listed for a "potential lawsuit." Only in America :-)

Steve
    Host
  • gosheffgosheff Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I have a 2001 4-cylindar (I don't know any other numbers) SF that has been wonderful for about 65,000 miles. (We drive a lot.) However, two weeks ago we were driving in town when the crazy thing just wouldn't move anymore. The engine was running with no funny noises. The gears would shift from R, N, D, etc. but the brake pedal was hard (wouldn't go down when pressed on). We had it towed to the dealership who found nothing wrong with it the following day. The day after we picked it up, however, it did the same thing again. We had it towed again, and it's been there for one week. Since it seems to only happen when the engine is good and warm -- after at least 30 miles of open-road driving -- the service manager has been driving it back and forth to work (12 miles one way). It has been fine since he's been driving it. I encouraged him to take it on a longer trip, but he said, "I don't want to get stranded somewhere!" Tell me about it! He also claims that he's never heard of this happening before. I figure he ought to know since he's the service manager and all, but does anyone have any ideas about what's going on?
  • mudpuddlemudpuddle Member Posts: 26
    Unbelievable............A website dedicated to free class action suits. And believe it or not, there is a suit against Toyota for sludge. So....Jeffmust2, you may want to yank a valve cover off your Lexus to see what you can find. You might be able to get in on that suit against Toyota !!LOL For those of you interested in a class action suit, be prepared to get your final answer in about 5 years. Now on to some real problems...please ? LOL
    I don't even know where that engine thingy IS!

Yank a Valve cover? Is that gud ole boy code for doing something nasty?

And what does my Lexus have to do with Toyota - they're different companies, right?
  • SamsdadSamsdad Member Posts: 17
    Steve what is it your talking about with toyota and sludge? I had a t-100, which tubed due to "sludge". scored crank and all. Had oil changes every 300 miles, but was out of warrenty at 60k. Toyota wouldn't even look at it.
    Engine Sludge? (Discussion Re-Opened) is one of our most contentious, er, popular discussions. Seems mostly smoke and no fire. Enjoy!

Steve
    Host
  • permentgpermentg Member Posts: 1
    Hello All - I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. I've noticed that my ambient temp does not read below minus 22 degrees farenheit. I know that seems cold enough, but when it's minus twenty degrees or colder, you take certain precautions before and when driving... Is there a temp range on the readout so that it can't go below minus twenty-two degrees?
  • fordeifordei Member Posts: 3
    I dropped my SF off to the dealer to have it checked for a knocking sound in the back. Every time I accelerate after a complete stop I get this noise coming from the back right. Anyone else experiencing this problem????
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    Every time I accelerate after a complete stop I get this noise coming from the back right. Anyone else experiencing this problem????
    Thats Grandma on the roof rack, she is getting cold! ;-)
  • kennyh2kennyh2 Member Posts: 9
    When I last left this conversation (early December, I think), there was thoughtful discussion of problems with the engines of the Santa Fe. Over the last month, the "dialogue" seems to be mostly sarcastic little comments with very little useful information. Anyone out there with more substantial information about the performance of the 2001 Santa Fe (or, for that matter, the 2002)?
  • wildkentuckycawildkentuckyca Member Posts: 7
    When I first got my Santa Fe in March of last year. I was having problems with HIGH idling. I had to wait for a reprogramming card to come in. Which they were suppose to call and let me know when it came in, but they didn't I went up there after I got back from a trip to Florida so I could get my first oil change and have the cap put back on the top rack that blew off on the way down to Florida. While I was there I ask them about the reprogramming card. The guy told me they had them in but I had to make an appointment to have it put in. So I tried to make an appointment and the other guy told me they didn't have them in yet but that they would call. Well, I waited to months and they didn't call I had to call them about it again. Well, I got that fixed but I had alot of problems arise after that one.

Link to #6 message
    jcstoker Apr 13, 2001 1:12am
    I received to sets of keys. When I purchased my Santa FE.
    Link to #20
    nogginbump May 9, 2001 1:04am
    I haven't had a problem with the molding peeling but, I did have a problem with bird droppings peeling the paint off the front of my hood. My husband and I were washing my Santa Fe when he told me that he couldn't get what ever that was off. I looked at it and said well, know wander you can't get it off because it is already off the paint has came off. Well, I was peeO'd. I called the very same day to tell the service department about it. I have already been to the service department so many times already that they know me on FIRST name basis. They said, I had to wait for the HYUNDAI rep to come in. Well, it took 2 months for that. I was told so many times that it would not be covered under the warranty because it was caused by bird droppings. Well, I went around my Santa Fe and put HIGHLIGHTING tape on the bubbles I found coming up on the car. To show them the imperfections of the paint. Well, when the HYUNDAI rep looked at my car. He decided to fix the hood. I guess they would rather paint the hood than the WHOLE car.
    Link to
    leigh8 Jun 1, 2001 9:42am
    When we first got our Santa Fe. My husband was driving it and the light came on and he took it right to the dealership. They said, He needed turn the cap at least 4 times. That there was some kind of senser in the tank.
    Link to 90.
    javascript:popWindow('http://townhall.edmunds.com/cgi-bin/townhall/vprofile?user=suxman');
    I have had my Santa Fe since March of last year. Has little over 10,000 miles. I have had problems since day one with the gas mileage. I have never gotten the 20 miles per gallon in the city. I barely got that on the highway. Well, I just took it in this past week to have it looked at again this was the 4th time it has been looked at. They found that the 2 sending units were bad and the nipple to the fuel pump was off. I could never get the fuel gauge to show full when the pump cut off. So hopefully this problem is resolved. If not I am contacting Lemon Law.
    Link to
    roadkill55 Jul 2, 2001 3:28am
  • mastrvmastrv Member Posts: 16
    What dealer are you dealing with? Maybe you should go to another dealer if they are giving you problems. Also, you said that you had to "have the cap put back on the top rack that blew off" on the way down to Florida. What are you referring to? The radiator cap? You said the dealer repaired it so the repair order should say exactly what they did. How did you get to Florida without a radiator cap?
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    It is just a small cosmetic molding on the roof luggage rack. I had one come off mine and I just glued it back in place. BTW no problem on my V6 GLS after 40,000 KM!
    amount of letters.

Coincidence?

I think not.
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    amount of characters.

Coincidence?

I think not.
    So thanks, dielectric7!

Good to see the lack of an original thought still hasn't stopped you from posting on the web.

So, back to the topic, Santa Fe Problems - are they all still being purchased by people impressed by the drivetrain warranty - the same type offered on the Neon?
  • lchatt55lchatt55 Member Posts: 11
    There was actually a recall for the molding in the roof rack. Our's was lifting a little and they repaired it. No problems since.
  • mudpuddlemudpuddle Member Posts: 26
    Last week, however, Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A.
    mailed out notices to the 3.3 million owners of
    Camrys, Solaras, Siennas, Highlanders, Avalons,
    Celicas, and Lexus ES 300 and RX 300 vehicles.
    The division agreed to pay for the cost of repairs of
    damaged cars, provided the owners could give
    proof of a "reasonable effort" to maintain the engine.

The sludge buildup, which could affect cars with 1
    MZV-6 engines and 5SFE inline-four engines,
    chokes the engine with a buildup of sludge, a thick,
    oxidized form of oil, and renders the car
    undriveable.

According to the Automotive News report, it's
    unclear why the engines are susceptible to this
    buildup, but one technician quoted in the report said
    a design flaw in the 3.0 litre V6 engine is the cause
    of the problem. Larry Perry said he believes that
    Toyota reduced the size of the cooling passages to
    the cylinder heads in the engines, in order to
    increase combustion temperatures for more of a
    complete burn to reduce exhaust emissions.
    Too much heat makes oil more susceptible to
    sludge, the report stated. Perry said he measured
    temperatures that were more than 30 degrees higher
    than earlier models.

A Sienna owner cited in the report said that an
    analysis of her oil found traces of chemical glycol,
    which pointed to the likelihood of a leaky head
    gasket, allowing coolant into the engine chamber,
    which would also raise engine temperatures.

While Toyota has offered to pay for damage
    repairs, it maintains that the offer is not an admission
    that anything is wrong with the engines, Automotive
    News reported. Instead, it is an attempt to calm a
    large number of concerns about the sludge, while
    encouraging owners to care for their vehicles
    properly.

The offer is good for one year, and extends to
    owners who show proof that they have had at least
    one oil change in the past year.

You were saying, Jeffmust2 ????? Anyway, wouldn't it be reassuring to know that your Toyota, I mean Lexus engine, would be covered by a one year clause to cover the jello/oil problem. I think Hyundais are still being purchased by people impressed with the warranty.