Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• avitwebavitweb Member Posts: 2
    Oh...I plan on it...only problem is that it has been going on for over a year now with the same results.....I am hopefully speaking with the dealership manager tomorrow, and maybe he can help me out!
  • slukeyslukey Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Does anyone know why my 2003 Santa Fe makes a lunging movement, (bounce movement), when it is shifted from Park to Reverse?

It doesn't occur with any other gear changes.

Slukey
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Call your dealer. I believe there was a TSB on this issue to reprogram a computer.
    Hi danf1,
    Thanks for the info. The dealer has apparently checked the computer and all is OK. I will keep searching. Hopefully, a Hyundai dealer or service mechanic with Hyundai should be able to short track this issue for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • bicstwobicstwo Member Posts: 2
    Are these regular scheduled maint checks or should I have concerns? The carfax shows regular service visits with suspension serviced at 19k, 33k, 48k & 52k. This concerns me since I noticed a left rear noisy tire during test drive.

Also see electrical system serviced at 33k (03 switch assembly recall), again at 42k & 48k. Any known electrical problems I should be aware of?

And finally,Engine serviced at 19k, 48k & 52k. Do these match up with schedule intervals in the owners manual or am I buying a problem?

I'm trying to get the original dealer to send me the service records. Don't yet know if they will.

Thanks for any help, bicstwo
  • bicstwobicstwo Member Posts: 2
    I'm new, and this may be too late but, I feel your pain. I had the same problem with a Taurus. The gunked up engine was caused by chips and cracks in the valves on one side of the V6. They replaced that side under warranty. Good luck.
    Bicstwo.
  • wateryearwateryear Member Posts: 7
    As I recall, the adjustments are free within the first year. I am about to have the first oil-change (aka 7500 miles service) this weekend and am wondering what typical adjustments have people done usually.

In addition, the tire pressure was specified as 30 psi, but I can tell it is insufficient especially for the front tires by looking at their shape. I usually keep it 32 psi but still feel under-inflated. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks for your input.
  • cjb2486cjb2486 Member Posts: 26
    We now have about 14,000 miles on our 1+ year old Santa Fe and the only thing that we have had done are regular oil changes. As far as I know, nothing else needs to be done or adjusted, regardless of what the dealer's "recommended" service items are.
    As far as tire pressure goes, stick with the recommendations in order to maximize ride, handling, traction, and tire life. Many of today's radials frequently look underinflated at times.
  • lpjxk0lpjxk0 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2004 & 2002 Santa Fe's, both have the automatic climate control, on the 02 when you set the temperature,eg.70 degrees and it calls for a/c, the a/c light comes on, on 04 when set the temp at 70 degrees and it calls for a/c the a/c light on the switch does not come on, this is in auto mode for both santa fe's. The dealer was not sure if this was a function that was discontinued, they stated they would check another 04 when one comes in for service, that was last week, have not heard anything yet.. Appreciate any feedback

Thanks
  • sarrat25sarrat25 Member Posts: 2
    I also have noticed that at about 43 MPH my car shutters. If I drive through 40-45 then I do not have the shutter problem. I have also noticed that if my car starts to shutter, then I will take my foot off the gas and then reapply; the shutter is gone. I took my car into Hyundai on April 18, 2005 and they replaced the ball joint on the drivers front wheel. They told me this would fix the problem; later that day I noticed that my car was still doing it. I took my car back to the dealer and they said that my car needed a transmission flush and that would fix the problem....I don't think they know what they are talking about. :mad:
  • zeusmemzeusmem Member Posts: 1
    My friend has a 2004 Base 2.4L 4cyl Automatic. She was parking her car in a garage when it suddenly lurched backward into a cinderblock wall (her foot was on the brake). She thought she had probably put her foot on the accelerator instead of the brake. However, when she went to put the car into drive and made certain her foot was on the brake, the car lurched forward again. She caused some pretty major damage to her car and minor damage to the others. When she called Hyundai, she was told that they never heard of this happenning with any other Santa Fe's. However, in searching this forum, I've seen a few similar, if not identical, problems. Has anyone had some similar experiences? ANy assistance is appreciated.
  • sarrat25sarrat25 Member Posts: 2
    Hey just wanted to say that I went to the site you listed. I took that information to Hyundai, and they put in the information that my car needed; and well now my car does not shutter!!! THANKS for listing the site. I believe that site fixes the problem that people have with there 2001 Santa Fe shuttering between 30-45. :D
  • edr4edr4 Member Posts: 2
    I also had an 02 and bought a new 04 last December. I just noticed this same thing when returning home from the dealer after service for one of several other issues. It seems to me that any time the AC is On, the light should be On, I just assumed it was one more electrical problem (Cruise Control and Heated switch indicator failed) and that I'd be taking it back to the dealer one more time. I will call and ask my service dept. their opinion.
    Update Information on lunging problem with 2002 Santa Fe:
    Dealer cannot find problem after performing computer checks, line and fittings inspections, and pressure checks. They have no idea what the problem is and have now offered me a new $3000.00 transmission to be installed in my Santa Fe. (Warranty job). Hopefully, this will solve the problem.
  • paulukpauluk Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 TD Santa Fe which has an engine rattle at 2500rpm. This rattle only occurs when the engine is warm and with the air-con off. As soon as I press the air-con button the rattle stops for a few miles and then comes back. The car has 30000 on the clock and has done this from about 10000 miles. The dealer has had the car back on many occasions and has replaced a short motor, air con pump belts etc but nothing seems to cure it. A friend has said it could be something as simple as a tensioner. Can anyone help?
  • lpjxk0lpjxk0 Member Posts: 10
    Thank you for responding to my question, I now believe that function is working correctly, by not being on, according to the manual every time you use the climate control and ambient temperature is 32 degrees or higher the ac will automatically be on. I guess hyundai feels if the ac light was on at 33 degrees everybody would be complaining that something is wrong with the climate control. Hyundai service dept told me it was a function that was eliminated in the 04 models. Another difference from the 02 Santa fe is the way the ambient control works, in the 02 when pressed the ambient switch it would show the outside temp then default back to the set temp on the display, on the 04 santa fe when you press the ambient switch the outside temp stays on the display until you turn it off.

Thanks again
    lpjxk0
  • earltashearltash Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a new one, and love it. Put 1000 miles on it in 4 days. Checked gas milage today on back roads at 50-65 MPH. Average of 26 MPG. I have the 2.7 L engine with the 4 speed tranny. Hooked it up to my double ATV trailor to see how it tows. Great!!!! Hardly know the trailor is behind me. Oh it may have to shift up big hills, but it will work just fine. I'll keep everyone posted with updates on how it does in time.

http://slingshot.to/earlthepearl
  • skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    Your friend may be right. I had a 2.7L that started rattling to high heaven, especially when idling. It turned out to be a bad tensioner pulley bearing. The tech diagnosed it the "old fashioned" way, using a stethoscope.
  • paulukpauluk Member Posts: 2
    Just got Santa back from dealer complete with new tensioner and old rattle. We have had a 'steth on it and the rattle is coming from somewhere around the tensioner area but can't pinpoint it. Guess I'll just have to invest in a louder radio!!
  • debellidebelli Member Posts: 7
    :) Anyone have a "creeking" noise near the windshield towards the dashboard edges?

I also posted on the other Hyundai SF board I most frequest a question if anyone else had problems with any of their tire lug nuts rusting, it's just one, so I know it's not normal. Also notice the "frames" around the fog lights are pitted.

Radio reception stinks too - and I'm in a major city.

Anyone else have any problems with their '05 2.7 FWD? Mine are slight, but still, it's annoying - only have 1800miles
  • dmccarthydmccarthy Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Santa Fe which we love. EXCEPT for the paint. We had hood and roof problems with the clear coat and bird droppings and now we have "fading" on the tail gate where the magnetic stickers "We Support the USA" are. Everyone has these stickers/magnetic. Service rep says its because the sun can't get to that portion of the paint? However, it does not do it on any of my other vehicles nor my co-workers vehicles. The color is Merlot (I call it maroon). Can any one shed some light on my problem?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Fading will not occur as a result of sunlight not reaching the paint. Most likely it is caused by heating. The stickers, exposed to sunlight, get hot and may damage the paint underneath. This is the article I linked in reply to your other posting.

tidester, host
  • albourgalbourg Member Posts: 1
    has anyone out there been having this problem? I bought a used 2003 AWD Sante Fe in Nov 03 with 6,000 km on it. No problems at first but after about 40,000, noticed that the transmission was shifting hard at lower speeds. Almost as if it shifted into one higher or lower gear depending on if i was accelerating or decelerating.Ignored the problem for a while until one morning while backing out of the driveway, the car seized up and would not drive forward. No problems driving in reverse but would not drive forward, only reved the engine. Brought it to the dealer and they completely replaced the transmission. One WEEK later, the same problem started up again, shifting hard. Only this time when it stalled dead, all the lights in the car were flashing and it rolled backwards to a stop. I was also unable to turn the wheel and the engine would not start up again. Took it back to the dealer and they said it was a computer problem with the speed sensor. So they fixed that and I was on my way. Well, the hard shifting problem resurfaced again. As well, here it is 5 months later, and the transmission goes again. I was towing my very light 14 ft aluminium boat on the highway when all of a sudden out of nowhere, the car just lurches forward and starts kicking. I pulled over and was unable to restart my car. It now has about 56,000 km, just short of the 60,000 powertrain warranty, and is out of town at another dealership. I am seriously frustrated about this, not only because of the car but because the dealership where we have been regularly servicing our vehicle is giving us the run around. Where do I stand and what should I do???
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    albourg:
    I srongly suggest that you trade that puppy in before the waaranty expires. Sound to me that you bought a problem SUV.
    Are they replacing the tranny ECM when they do the swap? I'd assume they would, but if not, that's your problem I'll bet.

Your last incident almost sounds like a cylinder liner slipped and you got a locked up engine. Does the engine turn when you try to start it?
  • eddiedaddyeddiedaddy Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Any one please tell me how you are maintaining proofs of the services you ever had are all hyundai certified?

My Santa Fe (2002, 32,000 miles) is being fixed for 11-th days, eventually an advisor informed me that I should have a paid transmission service, otherwise the power-tran warranty would not cover it anymore. His explanation is I should have a service by Hyundai dealer, otherwise I am responsible to prove that only Hyundai certified fluid, and parts had been applied, when transmission and engine need to be replaced.

To keep the warranty alive, are you actually using Hyundai certified parts only? and keep all the receipts?

Thanks in advance.
    Eddie,

Don't let the dealer con you. Transmission service is not required until 60,0000, according to the Maintenance schedule that came with your SF. UNLESS, you have used it under what are considered Severe Service conditions (towing for long distances, especially up hills, operating in very dusty conditions, frequent sitting in stop and go traffic in temperatures over 90 degrees, mostly short trips (under 5 miles)and so on).

I had my dealer do a full vehicle inspection as required by the Maintenance schedule as well as replace the air filter and flush the cooling system, all of which you MUST do at 30K. That way, I have proof that I have met all warranty requirements. I also keep all my receipts for oil and filters and write the service date and mileage in the Maintenance Schedule booklet. The dealer, naturally, suggested I flush the tranny, replace spark plugs, and so on, but these are neither necessary nor required for my vehicle. As long as I'm getting 24-26 mpg on the HWY and the tranny fluid is clear and doesn't smell burnt, the former are all just added revenue for the dealer, at your expense.
  • jlittererjlitterer Member Posts: 39
    Haven't been on this site in a long time. Dealer informed me that my 2004 Santa Fe GLS 4wd needs a transfer case reseal under a Hyundia technical service bulletin. Anyone got any info? Thanks Jeff
  • markytamarkyta Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Santa Fe with the 3.5L engine and the 5 spd automatic trans. I love the truck with the exception of the fuel economy. It gets like 11-12mpg in the city and 18mpg on the highway. It is gently driven. I was wondering if any one else gets the same results. Thank you.
  • mpaz1mpaz1 Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this so if this has been answered already I apologize. :confuse:

I have a 2004 Hyundai 2.7 litre, that hunts for a forward gear when you intitially start out and press on the accelerator. If you let off and get back on it, it quits stuttering around, seems to be in gear and won't do it again until it has set for an extended period. I took it in to the Hyundai dealer and they allegedly updated the computer program. I still have the same problem.

Has anyone else had this same problem? What solved the problem?
  • sundae2sundae2 Member Posts: 6
    New to this forum, but your note shouted out to me to ask you questions.
    Here's my story. 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7 GLS V6.
    At 15,000 miles, along with oil change, dealership said that 'fuel injection service was recommended'. I'm not a mechanic, so I just said ok, go ahead. I gulped at the $179 price, but I figured it was preventive (albeit expensive) maintenance.
    PRIOR to this service, mileage (local driving) was about 17-18 mpg. AFTER this maintenance, mileage dropped to 13-14 mpg. Same driver, same places, same everything. Only difference was mpg AFTER the fuel injection service. Went to dealership, who 'checked it out' and said the 'computer hadn't been reset' when the fuel injection service was done, that everything now would be fine..'. Still, problem persisted. Returned it again and they said it checked out fine. No improvement. Returned it 3rd time. They said they drove it 66 miles on local streets (no highway) and got 15.6 mpg. As far as they're concerned, the case is closed. Filled up today, after 122 miles, got 13.28 mpg! This is typical of my mileage! Feel I'm getting the run around, plus the inconvenience of trying to drop the car off at the dealership. Feel they're doing everything grudgingly, as little as possible, and only at my insistence. Don't feel they've done any kind of definitive testing. Auto now has 21,000 miles on it, and this has been going on for months. Would appreciate ANY suggestions you have, because I feel like I'm getting jerked around mightily. I even went to the regional rep, but they simply refer me to the dealership. They all talk very nicely, but there are no results.
    This won't help you sleep any better.
    I have a 2003 santa fe 2.7 AWD, which, at 15,000 miles was recommended at the dealership to have a 'fuel injection service.' I willingly complied, thinking it would be preventive maintenance (albeit expensive at $179). Mileage around town (no highway) had been 17-19 mpg, but after the fuel injection service, dropped to 11-14 mpg. Have brought car back to dealership three times with no improvement, only their assurances that everything is all right. Seems like a case of the emperor's new clothes. They simply don't acknowledge a problem, therefore none exists! What good is a warranty is no one admits to any problem?
    Oh my gosh! We had the same exact thing, also as you described! It's since vanished, and I don't know why, but I'm glad it did. The dealership couldn't reproduce it, so they couldn't tell us what is was. It was exactly as you described: intermittent, like a low pitch horn that seemed to come from behind and to the left of the driver's seat. Happened at low speeds. I hope it does go away for you, too.
    Sorry I can't give you any concrete advice, but I felt compelled to answer someone who had the same problem as we did.
    Well,
    I guess, and hope for other's sake, that you've learned your lesson about letting the dealership sell you uneeded and unrequired services. The old rule, "if it ain't broke" applies here. Read your maintenance manuals and be an INFORMED customer! Ignorance is not an excuse for being taken advantage of!
  • scout05scout05 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Santa Fe with transmission problems. It is a 5 speed (manual) and for the past two years, when the engine is reving too high - the gear shift gets stuck. I notice it the most when I am slowing down to take an exit on/off the highway. Sometimes it will do it when I start my car as well. (especially if the AC is on)

I've taken it to 3 dealerships. They have all said that no problem like this is "on the records" and since it's not happening all the time, it's not bad enough.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm about to hit the 60,000 mile mark this year and want to figure out the problem. I like my Santa Fe, but this continued problem will eventually make me trade it in for something different.

Any help out there? :)
  • rwatersrwaters Member Posts: 2
    I have an '04 SF with 2.7L engine and get 15 city, 18mpg highway, also gently driven. Dealer says it's within "factory specs." It's a far cry from the advertised mpg rating, and can't get any satisfaction. :(
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Look closer at your original window sticker. You will see that there is a range given on what to expect for gas mileage. City driving is usually plus or minus 3 mpg, and hwy is 4 mpg. It sounds like you are within range. It notes that mileage may vary due to driving style, conditions etc...
  • jerseygirl227jerseygirl227 Member Posts: 1
    I just got off the phone with my Hyundai dealer. I have my 2003 Santa Fe in for service (second time) because I hear a loud rubbing noise in the front right wheel well. The first time I brought it in they did a visual inspection and took it for a drive and the car did not make the noise.

The car made the noise today (6 weeks later) so I brought it right to the dealer. They tell me the vehicle needs new brakes. I, my father and our mechanic friend find this odd. The dealer said all Santa Fes usually need new brakes at 30K.

Two questions: 1. Did your Santa Fe need new brakes at 30K and 2. If most Santa Fes need new brakes at 30k, why didn't the dealer investigate this as the problem when I brought it in the first time at 31K miles???

Thanks in advance!
  • alan84alan84 Member Posts: 5
    My 04 Santa Fe seems to have a dusty an musty odor coming from the A/C . It goes away quickly. Anyone experience this?
  • peggysuepeggysue Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone had this happen?-we had an "explosion" under the hood @start-up-lots of smoke-no water. Dealer had it for 3 days-said they couldn't find anything wrong w/it. What could have happened?More info- My husband had just driven it back to town-hot day-about a 1/2 hr. drive. This happened after it had set for about a 1/2 hour.
    Jerseygirl,

I jus had my wife's SSanty in for it's 30K service. I made sure they did just what was required and nothing more. That included a full inspection and they said the brake pads were at 50-70% (F/R) remaining. If they'd wanted to make some money, this would have been a good time to try and tell me that the brakes needed replaced. Apparently I have a reasonably honest dealer. My wife is VERY hard on brakes. I am constantly reminding her to slow down ahead of traffic lights by easing off the gas instead of rushing up to the lights and hitting te brakes. She's getting better, but if these brakes wore out that quickly, she'd cetainly have needed her pads replaced. Maybe you should try another dealer or confront the service manager.

Good luck!
  • alan84alan84 Member Posts: 5
    I have same problem and have talked with many others that have same problem. Basically , Hyundai can't find the problem and won't admit to it (for now) so we live with it. Maybe a recall in the future.
  • bryannjenbryannjen Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2001 SF. It's making a sound, too, but were told the rotors need to be reground. I don't think they can tell it's the brake pads themselves unless they are actually LOOKING at them. My husband is taking the rotors off today and taking them to PepBoys to get them ground. It's $170 for the dealer to do the work, but if hubby takes the rotors to PepBoys it's $35 a rotor (we have 2 to get done).
  • jwp31nycjwp31nyc Member Posts: 5
    hey out there, I own a 2001 sante fe which I brought Sept of that year, as of now I have 52,076 miles. I brought my car to the dealer for a noise concern, they tell me I need a timing belt, also he stated that I did close to 5,000 miles in a two month period. I thought he was crazy so I went back to the very first time I brought my car
    to the dealer to be service which was January 2002. look I what I found
    January 18,2002 3271 miles
    February 13 2002 3799 miles
    February 27,2002 3982 miles
    June 12, 2002 6877 miles
    October 17, 2002 13482 miles
    November 6 2002 13926 miles
    March 18 2003 16735 miles
    June 26. 2003 18497 miles
    July 10 2003 18877 miles
    January 15 2004 21869 miles
    March 23 2005 46892 miles
    April 7 2005 47771 miles
    June 8 2005 52076 miles
    If the dealer did not bring this to my attention I would have never notice I live in Staten Island NY, I work in Manhattan I do not drive to work, the only long distance driving I have done with this car was to PA. I expalin to the dealer for me to put this much mileage on my car I would have to drive cross country three times a week. the average driver :( may put any where from 10,000 to 15,000 miles a year on their car from january 2004 to march 2005 my odometer states I did about 24,000 if anyone else is having this problem, post it please.
  • niniriahniniriah Member Posts: 1
    We also have an '01 Sante Fe. We just purchased it used about 3 weeks ago. Within a week of purchasing it (no warranty), it started acting funny and the "check engine" light come on. It kind of jerked and was having trouble shifting up when needed (it is an automatic). It has the "sportronic shifting on it" (where you can do manual or automatic). Regardless which gear it should be in, if you would switch over to manual mode, it would show that you were in third gear. We thought for sure that we bought a "lemon" and would have to turn around and fork out money for a new transmission. Well, we went to the dealership where we got it at and they reset the system and said it was probably just a glitch in the system. Within 2 days the check engine light come back on. We took it to another dealership and they said that our "turbine sensor" was going. The turbine sensor is hyundai's term for the speed sensor. They said that the speed sensor is a good reason for it to be acting like it was having "transmission troubles". We are switching out the sensors tomorrow, hope it goes good. I'll leave a message on here and let all who want to know if switching the sensors fixed the problem or not, hopefully it does it.
  • jwp31nycjwp31nyc Member Posts: 5
    My speed sensor was changed on 3/23/05 when I took my ca to the dealer. The mileage still double, but when I brought my car in on 6/8/05 they changed the camshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor one which was is recall item, I asked why they told me because we where in there already. :)
  • rodleorodleo Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I have a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe (GLS, V6, 4WD), which has about 55,000 miles. While it's running constantly at 1,750 rpm and about 40-43 mph, the ENTIRE car is vibrating very badly. However, it instantly stops shaking if I accelerate or decelerate, as long as it's not moving at 1,750 rpm.

I brought it to the dealership a month ago and they said it's a wheel alignment problem. They "fixed" it for free and now it comes back again. Is it due to the timing belt?

Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks,
    Rodleo
  • davidsr17davidsr17 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Santa Fe 4cyl 2wd. I got in to it 2 days ago,started up and started home from work. I was about 100 ft into my drive when it just died. Had a family member stop to help me out and after checking a few things out found that there was no fire. Anyone with suggestions on what it might be ?
  • cheriebabycheriebaby Member Posts: 1
    My Santa Fe is only 2 1/2 years old with 21,000 miles. The Gas Gauge reading on the dashboard has been showing incorrect readings for a few months now. When I have 3/4 tank of gas, the gas gauge reads empty. I have taken the Santa Fe to the Sansone dealership in NJ three different times. They have replaced the sensor on the passenger side, the sensor on the driver side, drilled a hole in the tank to unclog it :sick: to allow accurate readings. Each time they say the car is repaired and each time it does the same thing. This time, however, the opposite is happening, which is more dangerous. The car is showing that I have gas in the car when the tank is actually EMPTY!! The car has run out of gas twice already, on the highway in NJ and the second time a few blocks from my house. I could've gotten into a serious accident both times and I had a small child in the car. HAS ANYONE HAVE THIS HAPPEN IN THEIR SANTA FE?? I have called the Hyundai Customer Service, but they don't care. They think since there is a 10 year warranty, that I have nothing better to do than taking off from work another 10 times. I have already been inconvenienced five times already!! Do I have any recourse if this keeps happening?? Is the Lemon Law only good for one year on a car, as this car is 2 1/2 years old?? If the car doesn't get repaired for good after this time, has anyone been able to trade their car in for another Santa Fe with similar mileage? Please help if you have any information or advice. Thanks.