Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Matrix

mfarmer2mfarmer2 Member Posts: 67
Thanks. :-)

Mary

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I drove a 130hp automatic Matrix XR a couple weeks ago, and left the AC on the whole time, just to evaluate it with the air on (I know it takes some power). The acceleration was slow. The engine was pretty quiet, but I was revving the snot out of it to get any movement. I never drove the XRS because they didn't have one, but I am sure it wouldn't make much difference in automatic form (I can't drive stick). So maybe there is some truth in the MT article.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802

From what I've read, the 2003 Toyota Matrix is going to be built on the same platform as the Toyota Corolla. It's also the twin of the 2003 Pontiac Vibe.

Here's some more information about the Toyota Matrix from the Edmunds.com's coverage of the 2001 North American International Auto Show: 2003 Toyota Matrix

In addition, we also have a active Pontiac Vibe (Corporate Twin) discussion on the Station Wagon Message Board. I'll let this one remain on this board, since these vehicles really do fall into the cross over category.

In the near future, I hope to link this discussion to the Station Wagons board. In the meantime please note: I've linked the Pontiac Vibe discussion from Station Wagons into the Additional Resources on the left hand side of this page. Hope this is helpful. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks Message Board

• leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    Kelly's Blue Book website has it marked as a 2002 model due out this summer. They also have the Pontiac Vibe as a 2002 due out this fall. Check it out under kbb.com click under car preview section.

Leo
  • hilltop33hilltop33 Member Posts: 15
    I looked at KBB, but something is odd. It says the Matrix will launch this summer while the Vibe (Pontiac partner car) will not launch until Fall 2002. This does not make any sense. It is also clear, that to get the 180HP engine in either car, we're going to have to wait quite a while.

FYI - Both the Toyota and Pontiac websites say the cars will launch in January 2002.

Lori
    regarding the date. Reason being I have not posted an exact date in the title of this discussion. My previous post was quoting dates/information from Edmunds.com's auto show coverage... which quotes a "2003 Toyota Matrix... set for release in mid-2002".

For further clarification, please feel free to direct your questions to the Edmunds.com's content editors. You can do that via the "questions, suggestions, and feedback" box near the bottom of this page. Good luck and sorry for the confusion. In the meantime, if I find out more information myself, I'll be sure to post it here. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

• viktoria_rviktoria_r Member Posts: 103
    question

does Vibe/Matrix duo have removable rear seats (like minivans)? I read that they have flip/fold seats, but what about removable? Also, is manual the only transmission available with 180hp engine?
  • totalnettotalnet Member Posts: 67
    If go to the video section under the auto show, there is a video clip of the Vibe. You can see the rear fold down seats are in the down position. Like most hatchbacks and wagons, it is not removable. But the area in the back will be flat once the rear seats are down.
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    Still not too much of info.

Pretty nice interior/exterior 360º views.

http://www.isthistoyota.com/high/index.html

• s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I looked at the pictures of the interior and there seems to be a large screen where the CD player is.
    Does anyone know if Toyota plans to make a GPS navigation system available on the Matrix in the US?
    Yes, the DVD-based navigation system will be available as an option.
  • elehtoelehto Member Posts: 4
    The pontiac website says a 5 speed manual will be available with the base car (assuming the Vibe and Matrix will have identical specs). The 6 speed is only available in the GT with the 180 hp celica engine. The AWD version will only be available with the 130 hp base engine and a 4 speed auto.
    Any info on the car's wheelbase, rear leg room, and cargo capacity?

Leo
    Width - 69.5 in.
    Wheelbase - 102.4 in.
    "Capable of packing a whopping 57.2 cubic feet (1,621 liters) of cargo behind the driver,"
    Thanks!

Leo
  • badtoybadtoy Member Posts: 343
    may be due to the fact that the Vibe will be built at Nummi and the Matrix in Canada. However, I would trust the manufacturers' web sites before the others -- after all, they're the ones who should know!
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    "Capable of packing a whopping 57.2 cubic feet (1,621 liters) of cargo behind the driver,"

That's 1 cu. ft. LESS than a 2001 Saturn SW2 wagon, with the seats down.
    Guess that nixes the Vibe and Matrix. Saturn, here I come!!! (By the way, where are they??)
  • njbongonjbongo Member Posts: 66
    Well, specs can betricky. Yesm the Saturn may have moe cubic feet, BUT my sister has the 2000 SW2 (same as 2k1) and the side pillars that house the rear struts stick out so much that they invade the cargo space. This makes the opening very narrow even with the seats folded down. If you are trying to carry large objects in the saturn, your screwed.

Haven't seen the INSIDE of the MAtrix yet.....they had it at the NY Auto show, but wouldn't let anyone touch it !!!! I really hate that.....anyway, something to think about.
  • damax07damax07 Member Posts: 32
    Last Saturday on Speedvision,
    they have been broadcasting a 30 minutes show dedicating to Toyota's brand products (Subaru also) from the existing model line to the future models and that included the Matrix...It was really informative, they showed the interior, the open hatch with a bicycle in it. Since taste is not a matter of discussion and varies from individuals, but the styling did meet my taste though!
    Damax
  • eclipsegseclipsegs Member Posts: 66
    Is this a new relationship? Please say no. What are these completely different automakers doing? I'm extremely interested in the Matrix, but if Pontiac is part of it, I'm not so sure.

One quick equation comes to mind:

Pontiac = Not Reliable
    Toyota = Reliable

How reliable will the Matrix be? Or is this relationship much like DSM (Diamond Star Motors) which was basically Chrysler and Mitsubishi. This relationship still exists I believe, just not under the DSM name. Looks to me that the Vibe uses all engine, interior, and frame work from Toyota and just the bodywork is different.
    Much like the Mitsu Eclipse and Eagle Talon. Is this correct?
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    The Chevy (Geo) Prism and the Toyota Corrolla are/were IDENTICAL below the skin and built on the same assembly line.

The Maxtrix appears to be all toyota Celica under the skin. The pontiac version has different sheetmetal but that's about it.
    Thanks Sporin. I just finished reading more in depth about the relationship and you are correct. My thoughts are that the Matrix will sell more. The Vibe looks too much like a Aztek for me.

Now about this AWD system. I'm curious to see if that the Matrix will have a AWD option, will the Celica? I hope there will be a 180HP version without AWD.
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    It'll be built on the 2003 (new) Corolla platform, according to a local dealer. I hope Toyota works out the bugs in the the 6-spd. shifter and engine combo that Edmunds' long-term Celica GT-S was loathed for.
  • comedydramacomedydrama Member Posts: 17
    Matrix is set to debut in February/March of 2002, as a 2003 model. There are all sorts of great graphics and articles that were written about it on the internet. Use the google search engine, as there are some very interesting reviews and opinions, as well as some downright pretty and well-done graphics.

Look for a slew of websites to pop up in anticipation, much as the Subaru WRX model owners have had. It may be somewhat of a "cult" car, as it's a pocket rocket with the hot 6-speed/180HP motor available.

CD
    This discussion is now linked across three different message boards. As indicated in the title, you'll now be able to access this discussion through our Hatchbacks, SUV's, and Station Wagons Message Boards. Hope you enjoy discussing this new cross over vehicle with participants from these different boards.

Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Boards
  • the_rock73the_rock73 Member Posts: 8
    The Toyota Matrix will officially debut on January 01 2002 as a 2003 model.
    That's ridiculous, the term 'model year' has meant less and less these last ten years, and it's now official: it means bloody squat all !

Why don't the manufacturers just abandon the concept entirely? Effectively they already have abandoned the concept, which is quite OK, but spare us all the farce.
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Yes, the Cavalier was sold as A Toyota in Japan until very recently. GM worked a deal out with Honda to exchange V6 car motors for V8 truck motors. This is going to be the norm in the future folks.

-B
  • osfan456osfan456 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone have any guesses on the price of this interesting little car?
    What about gas mileage?
    $24000 pricing, or thereabouts on the "rocket" version. $20,000 on the morer sedate car.

And, it will NOT be here in the states, available for sale, til Feb/March 2002 as a 2003 car.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    comedydrama opined somethign like $20k "in the more sedate version". Not likely.
    First up, I suppose you're pulling your numbers from a very dark place, because the only official word I've seen is that it'll be priced "competitively" (Pontiac website). And the Japanese tend to be very secretive about pricing etc.
    However, the car will replace the Pontiac Sunfire in the GM lineup, and the Sunfire has an MSRP of approx. $15k. The Prizm starts at $14k sticker, and both of these cars have hefty rebates throughout much of the year; Prizm is at $1500, I believe. The Corolla stickers for about the same money as the Prizm, as it has to.
    Add to that the fact that GM admits the Aztec was overpriced, I'd doubt they make the same mistake again. On the Toyota side of things, the Matrix will have to be significantly below the RAV4; and don't forget a Subaru Legacy L AWD wagon stickers for $20k even. These things don't happen in a vacuum.
    So: my educated guess is $16k for a base model (AC 5spd), and good luck finding one on the lot; slightly above $20k for a loaded GT or loaded AWD.
    If comedy has hard information, however, I'd be eager to hear it and be educated.
    -Mathias
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    MY guess would be around $17k for a base model 5spd and $20k-$21k for a loaded GT or loaded AWD.
    Here's a little light reading. The first link is earlier than the first, so it incorrectly listing "Japan" as the point of assembly. Can anybody say: "Exchange rate differentials?" I knew you could. Just plot a graph comparing the Yen-U.S. exchange rate, and the Canadian-U.S. rates. The good news for the U.S. is that Cambridge has consistently put out top rate Corollas. :-)

http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/2001/v2kmdl2414spec.html

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/010221-2.htm

The quandary you have is that Toyota is planning to place the car in the "Corolla buyers" range of pricing, but the hyped up model, with the 17" wheels and the 180HP motor won't be able to have the sunroof (or perhaps they can, on a limited basis with the stick shift) due to EPA weight restrictions, so the moderately equipped cars will be at the Corolla pricing at the outset (MSRP right now averages 16000-17000 on the S and the LE versions) and the Matrix with the GTS sorta features, 180HP etc would be $22,000 at the highest point.

Guesstimation, and making the assumption that a lot of dealers will be marking them up over the MSRP at first. I'd think that MSRP will be where it's at, for purchase, when it debuts.

I sure hope you are right though. It'd be nice to have this car at the $14,000-$15,000 range with lots of extras but I can't see my way clear to that possibility yet. We can hope!

CD
  • jvkalrajvkalra Member Posts: 98
    Toyota says the Matrix will be "affordable", and priced in the compact car range. The only problem is that Toyota makes it a practice to jack up the price with a lot of useless "options" ($800 alloy wheels, etc), which would be better left as options installed at customer request by the dealer. The result, I think, is that younger buyers go get something else because the price is too high, and the Toyota they want is very hard to find. Remember the RAV4 was supposed to be for the young, hip buyer, but these buyers didn't have 21K+ to burn when the RAV came here in '96. The RAVs starting price was only 16K. Even the Echo, targeted to younger buyers has a page long list of options, but it's impossible to find power windows. DUH!

I'd love to see Honda come out with a competing vehicle that has their simple no option pricing, so buyers have a real choice among the imports.
    Hondas are cheaper than Toyotas -- right??
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Actually, Honda's are generally always substantially lower-priced than similarly optioned Toyotas.
    Compare an Accord EVV6 to a Camry XLE with the same options as what comes standard on an EXV6.
    Same with Corolla Vs Civic.
    I'll take your word -- I'd always heard the opposite.
    The Vibe is offered with AWD, but not with the 180HP engine. (odd?) Anyone know about the Matrix with this option?
    Until trim lines are announced, it's all just speculation, anyway. But, I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
    ...as am I my friend.
    ...for the new Matrix that is. Has anyone started a website specifically for the Matrix. Love the car and the movie. (hehe)
    that's news to me. I won't believe that until I see it in print (although, as a Toyota fan, it would delight me to no end!) =O)
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Try finding ABS and side air bags, even though the 01 brochure claims they are available. Understand the 02s will have package 3...power windows and keyless entry or something like that.
    27/32 is what I have heard for the base engine automatic, although I wouldn't be surprised if the EPA hasn't even tested it yet. What is this supposed to weigh? If it is close to the Celica, then you can pretty much use the Celica figures and maybe subract a bit for less aerodynamics, if that is the case. Doubt the 6-speed will have a deep overdrive...more likely at the other end. Then too, AWD will exact its toll.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I would imagine the reason why AWD may not be offered with the 180 horse engine is the simple fact that its power band would not work too well with the extra drag and friction of 4 wheel drive. The Celica GTS engine only has 5 more pound feet or torque than the regular 1.8, but where that torque peaks jumps from 4200 rpms to 6800 rpms. The extremely high power band would make the AWD version feel slow off the line. The thin torque and high power band simply would not work with AWD. You need a lot of good low end torque to pull the extra wheels and weight and overcome friction. Also, I'm not sure whether an AWD system could handle the stress of an engine spinning close to 8000 rpms. So, my guess is that the 180 horse engine will not be offered with AWD for these reasons, not because there is no market for it.
    Sad, but most likely true.
    Preliminary numbers are 21/28 for the larger engine and 27/32 for the smaller. Suspect that auto and manual will be a mile or two from each other.
  • clyde2000clyde2000 Member Posts: 38
    I found it amusing to read that Toyota is all good, and GM is all bad. If it's made by Toyota it's reliable, if it's made by GM it's not. Is that any way to evaluate a car? Talk about judging a book by it's cover!!

The best though is reading the post about how in Japan, the Chevy Cavalier (that would be the twin of the [Pontiac] Sunfire) is sold under the Toyota name. Hmm, I own a Cavalier... does this mean that it is suddenly more reliable?
    Great speculation. Sounds reasonable to me.