Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I am like you - as long as I can keep the mpg over 30, I am happy. The Matrix base/XR excels in this regard. And if you get the XRS, there isn't a V-6 out there that can run with this car and also give its every day mileage.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    I recently test-drove an Outback wagon before deciding on a Highlander, and I also rented an Outback wagon once for 3 weeks in Colorado, Wyoming,& Utah. We have had an '03 4WD Matrix now for close to 2 years that my wife usually drives, and if you do a search in this forum you'll find a lengthy report I provided on the experience I had on a 2,000 road trip in late December 2003. The 4WD systems are good in both vehicles, but in most ways I would give the nod to the Matrix:

Advantages to Outback: bigger cargo area, a bit more pep even with the 4-cylinder engine, heated seats are standard at least on 2003's

Common Outback complaints: head-gasket leaks (particularly with cylinder #4 in the 4-banger), overheating when engine under stress (as we experienced on I80 in Wyoming when trying to go the posted speed limit of 75 mph), oil consumption, less-than-stellar radio reception with in-glass antenna, position of steering wheel makes it difficult to get into driver's seat even with tilt wheel in upmost position

Advantages to Matrix: easier to get into and out of, better gas mileage, more spacious rear seat, one-step procedure to fold down rear seat, standard radio with CD AND cassette, lots of storage cubbies, somewhat better reliability rating by Consumer Reports

Common 4WD Matrix complaints: engine is not overly peppy, squeaks and rattles (particularly early 2003's), under-shifter storage door either won't stay closed or is hard to open, bad twilight sensor in early 2003's, available only with automatic transmission
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    Your mechanic warned you away from Mazda? Well, in the process, IMO, he has also warned you away from what many consider to be the best car in its class. With a standard 4 yr/50,000 mile warranty there isn't much to worry about. In general, Mazda's have a very good reputation for reliability (the Ford-heavy Mazda's such as the 626 and the early Tributes are an exception).
  • deg856deg856 Member Posts: 120
    I have the XR FWD auto but I'd like to share some of my thoughts.

Engine is not overly peppy - the engine is pretty buzzy during acceleration, but once it gets up to speed it quiets down and cruises smoothly.

Squeaks and rattles (particularly early 2003's) -None in my 2 month + old 2004.

Under-shifter storage door either won't stay closed or is hard to open - I read about this before my purchase so when mine got stuck right after I got the car I went "uh, oh." But in my case it was just a matter of getting the hinges on the bottom lined up and seated correctly. Once I did that that storage compartment worked perfectly so I don't know if the problem that other had mentioned could be fixed this easily. It's a great place to store sunglasses by the way.

Bad twilight sensor in early 2003's - I don't know what's considered "bad", but I do feel mine is set to dim the display too soon while the ambient light is still not that dark. There's this brief period of time after sunset but before dark when the display is dimmed automatically before I want it to. It'd be better if they just kept the display at full brightness until we switched on the head lights ourselves.

Available only with automatic transmission - not necessarily bad unless you don't want auto.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    2003 XR auto, with 27,7xx miles.

Gripes:

- some rattle from the front dashboard around the driver's side. I've a mind to take it to the dealer, but concerned that once they open that up who knows if they'll ever to put it back without any additional issues.

- going uphill, the engine labors hard, can be quite noisy too.

I have no problems with any of the storage holders in mine. Other the above, I have nothing else to gripe about. Enjoying mine with no worries....
    I had problems with mine, namely, it would not stay shut. I went to the dealer where they replaced the hinge and now it works just fine.

So far, I'm not hearing to much in the way of "issues" that would/should deter any would-be buyers. The only things I would caution would be to make sure that the lack of a telescoping wheel will not bother any long-legged, short armed drivers out there...
  • stevengordonstevengordon Member Posts: 130
    Is the driving position in the Matrix the same as the driving position in the Corolla?
    Sorry, I can't help you there, I bought my wife a Civic before I even thought about driving the Matrix. Why not just go down to the local Toyota dealer and see for yourself?
    Around here anyway. I wonder if that applies to the XRS. My local dealer has never even had one on their lot.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    I forgot all about the issue for tall drivers finding a comfortable position. That might be the main reason to look for something other than the Matrix.

It's important to consider the peppiness of the 4WD separately from FWDs with the same engine. In my opinion the heavier 4WD performs adequately with the small engine, but many people have said they feel the 4WD is underpowered. The bigger engine isn't available in the 4WD.

The twilight sensor shouldn't be an issue unless your're considering a used Matrix. The Matrix service bulletin covered vehicles manufactured before September or October 2003. The problem was that the sensor would continually turn the headlights on and off on sunny days because it was fooled by shadows. The new sensor works much better.
    I test drove a Corolla a couple weekends ago. The drive amounted to about 3 or 4 miles. It was a pleasant experience, though I found the Civic to be as composed a ride compared with the Corolla.

Unfortunately, I'd have to rent on for a full day and take a long drive. I put a 1000 miles in my Accord one day last summer. It was comfortable, road-worthy, and probably something I can't easily achieve in a Matrix-Corolla-Civic.
    You can rest assured, there is NO comparison. The Accord is waaay more comfortable for a long drive than either my wife's Civic EX or my Matrix XRS. I travelled about 1000 miles in one day in an 02 Accord EX 4 cyl and had no issues with comfort. I can barely last 2 hours in the Civic without something (back, leg, etc) getting a bit sore or fatigued. I've been quite disappointed with the long-trip road worthiness of the Civic overall.
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    I haven't had any problems with comfort in my wife's civic or my XRS. I haven't taken 1000 mile trips in one day in them though. I've gone 710 in the civic and around 600 in the XRS. The only car that was less than comfortable on a long drive for me was my old buick regal.
    How did the Matrix compare to the Civic on those long drives?

I found that 750 miles was very do-able, driving with a teenager who was hooked up to a Game Cube half the time. My 1000-mile day involved getting pulled over in Kansas, finding a new highbeam light in Kansas and Missouri, and eating fast-food drive-through in the car. It wasn't a bad day at all (except for unmentionable incidents in Kansas).
    I think on balance, I would have to give the civic an edge over the XRS. The seating position is a little lower, more "normal" and your legs are stretched out a little more.

The XRS is a little more upright and has less leg room, but that might just be due to the clutch pedal making it seem so.

Both cars are fine for me normally and just great with cruise control on.
    2004 XR auto FWD. 2170 mi total. 381.3 mi on last tank. 11.938 gal fill up. -> 31.94 mpg.

$2.439/gallon for REGULAR unleaded from a Chevron station near San Francisco airport. Can you believe that price!?
    Wow. I've seen $2.23 for premium around here today. Highest so far that I've seen. Tanked up yesterday at $2.05.

It's getting close to some european fuel prices.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    no it's not. Germany is above $5.50/gal. Be careful what you wish for. -m
  • subie022subie022 Member Posts: 1
    I just saw the Matrix 2005 is out. Anyone know of the differences (improvements) over the 04's?
    like the look of the new front end, what with the foglights moved outboard to mimic those on the Vibe. Looks much cleaner.

I see thay have made a MUCH NEEDED update too, and replaced the super long snout (front skirt) with a simpler crossbar that doesn't extend out as far. So it won't get scraped up as much on driveways and stuff. They have made it black rather than body color too.

The pics are on the official Toyota website now. I was looking at the "specs" section, and it doesn't appear thay have changed much else. Except the 17-inch rims are now available for the XR, and they have changed the wheel cover design for the base.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    They changed the interior a bit as well. The passenger seatbelt light has been replaced with a clock. The rear defrost button was moved to the dead button to the left of the radio. The radio is now a Toyota radio, no longer GM. This also means no more navigation system Matrix will be made. They have a new sound system with an integrated subwoofer option as well. On the safety front there is now an option for side curtain airbags for both front and rear passengers, tire pressure warning system and I think vehicle skid control, but dont hold me to that last one. Overall I am happy with my 2003 XRS. The only thing I would like to have had is full curtain side airbags, I have just the torso side airbags. I won't be trading mine in anytime soon, too many grins per mile.
    that they cancelled the NAV option - I mean Toyota has their own so just because they traded out the GM radios (thank goodness) doesn't mean they couldn't have still offered it.

And the Mazda3 has it, so you would think they would keep it to stay competitive.

I noticed they now have stability control available, yes...forgot it didn't have that before.

And I see they have added a maintenance reminder light on the dash...geez, how much do these things cost? It would have been nice to see the money spent elsewhere, like on tire pressure warning systems, perhaps. Those maintenance lights are just an annoyance.

• was19720was19720 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed the Toyota TRD site offers a
    cold air intake for the Matrix that provides around 10
    more horsepower. Love to here from anyone who
    has had it done or just opinions on spending the extra bucks for it. The part cost $285 plus install.
  • maverick04maverick04 Member Posts: 9
    '04 XR Auto (1400 mi.) I didn't notice this before when I test drove the Matrix on several different days, this car is extremely affected by cross winds. I live in the southwest and during the summer months the wind picks up during daylight hours.
    Comments?
    Also, I looked into the TSB (on this site) on the O2 sensor and have recently felt the car hesitating from a dead stop. Could this be an indication that my car will have a faulty oxygen sensor too?
    Comments?
    Another thing...Can someone explain to me what the purpose is of having the OD on all the time (other than gas conservation)?
    Thanks very much.
    I haven't notice any unusual problem with cross wind in my Matrix. I suppose it's relative; it's probably more sensitive than lower profile vehicles (sedans, coupes) but better or no worse than higher profile vehicles (SUVs, minivans).

OD is the top gear – the fourth gear in the 4-speed auto in this case. You’d leave OD on under normal condition so the auto transmission has all the available gears (1st-4th) to select from. You’d switch OD off only if you want to prevent the auto transmission from selecting the top gear for whatever reason (such as engine braking, preventing “hunting” between 3rd and 4th, etc.)
    About the wind issue, well the Matrix, like many newer model cars has a relatively high roof-line so that will make it more suseptible to winds. I've never noticed myself fearing for my life on windy days, so it doesn't bother me.

IF you're worried about an O2 sensor my suggestion, odd as it may seem, would be to schedule a service visit with your local Toyota dealer and have them check it out.

I can't really help you with your OD question, I have a 6-speed in mine. My guess would be that you are referring to some sort of OD shut-off switch which is used in trucks for towing situations. If I guessed wrong then I apologize...
  • mufassamufassa Member Posts: 2
    Me and the little lady are looking and like the Matrix. We both want to know if anybody has the Xrs in the 4spd auto? Does it have more pep than the Xr? how does it ride with 17" rims? This will be our first new car and want to get all the goodies and more. any info will be helpful pro's and cons.
  • zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    Past postings on the Matrix and Celica board have complained about the auto shifting way before the 8k redline,even before the valve lift at 6k, making that engine(XRS) a bad choice for an auto tranny.Probably why the Acura RSX Type S doesn't offer an auto-just the 6 speed. Another option is the TRD supercharger installed on the XR,which supposedly adds about 35 horsepower and increases low end torque.I have an XR with the 5 speed(bone stock) and like it just fine. It's 32mpg avg and the way it likes to rev make it fun and economical as well.IMHO any four banger with an auto is bound to be a bit of a dog and/or a gas hog(for a 4 cylinder that is).
    ride is much firmer than the XR, but I would not call it harsh.

In order for it to be "sportier", you have to keep the revs up over 6000, which means with the auto, you will want to keep it in '1' or '2' gear all the time.

If you don't do that, it is even more of a dog than the XR auto.

You can't buy a *new* XRS with an auto tranny. Those were only available on the 2003s. 04s and 05s are 6 speed manuals only.

I've never driven an Xr, but I have a hard time believing that you can only feel the difference from 6k rpm and up. I scoot around pretty quick and I shift between 5 and 6k much of the time.
    The XRS and XR actually have the exact same suspension. The only difference would be wheel size, 16 on XR and optional 17 on XRS. I have a 2003 XRS 6 speed with 16 inch wheels. The ride is firm but not rough. I love my XRS it has plenty of power even below 6K RPM. When I need more it's there. Add to that consistent 27 MPG with almost all city driving....it's steal.
  • jazzyjazzy Member Posts: 2
    I'm hoping someone can help me out since I've been waiting over a month for a special order auto XR FWD with side-air bags and the sunroof package(QP2). Now, the dealer tells me Toyota refused the order and they can give me an after-market sunroof installation. That's not what I negotiated so the deal is off but in trying to get the same car from another dealer I'm being told that the side-air bags are only available for the XR AWD. This doesn't make sense to me since I was able to build the vehicle online with this option in my zip code. Anybody know the truth since I feel I'm being pressured to take whatever's in dealer inventory.
    If you live in the Gulf States Toyota region it may be true. One can't order a vehicle from Toyota the way they could from say Ford. Dealers can see what is coming up to be built and change an option or color but not much. I wanted a XRS, 6 speed, Sunroof, Navigation system, side sir bags and Gulf States leather/suede seats. I got everything but the navigation system. When I go to the toyota page and put in the a zip code in Oregon the choices are really limited. This is the biggest annoyance I have with Toyota.
  • sjonkesjonke Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an '04 Matrix (base model) and notice that the stereo (GM) has a button labeled CD/AUX. Is there an aux input on the back of the stereo and has anyone hooked up a cable to it to plug in their iPod or other music device? The salesmen said it was a CD changer input (and thus would require an adapter), but I wouldn't stake my reputation on his word. If it is, where can one get the adapter? Anyone have instructions on how to take apart the dash to get at the stereo and remove it?
    2004 XR auto FWD. 2534 mi total. 363.9 mi on last tank. 12.017 gal fill up. -> 30.28 mpg.
    The Aux button could in theory be used for a CD changer, but one would need the adapter, a specific cd changer and the know how to open the radio and turn on the Aux port. Many a member of my matrixowners have tried with no success to get it to work.
  • maverick04maverick04 Member Posts: 9
    Gee Thel, I think I can figure out when I need to see my Toyota dealer - I was interested in whether many people using this site have experienced O2 sensor problems... especially on the 2004 Matrix -If you haven't experienced what I am asking about then why are you writing to me with such biting undertones? Have I offended you somehow?
    Summer has just started here in the desert and on any given day I can experience 20-40 mph gusts of wind. While I don't "fear for my life", I am surprised at how much the little car is blown about.
    Why don't you share with me what brand of 17" tires you'd recommend instead of the Continentals. I have the stock 16" that came on the car and believe that 17" will bring more stability.
  • nattlenattle Member Posts: 2
    I am about to buy my very first new car...a 2005 XR Matrix. I am debating upgrading to the 17" wheels. What benefits do they have over the 16"...does one inch really make that much of a difference?

Thanks!
    there is a noticeable difference in the amount of firmness of ride (more with the 17s) and the amount of understeer (less with the 17s). But they are not worlds apart or anything.

maverick: yeah, I used to notice that with mine too. It is a relatively light car for its size and also has relatively tall slab sides - perfect for catching the wind. Despite that, I always felt it was pretty stable at high speeds (above 80 or so), as long as there wasn't a lot of wind. I never had any sensor problems with my '03, but hopefully if it is an O2 sensor, it should be relatively quick to diagnose. Good luck! :-)

How's that RSX of yours doing ? Still liking it or wishing for your old Trix back..... I know I know... but I can help but wonder if you'd not want back in to the Matrix. Just so practicable than an RSX, if you ask me... BUT, maybe the latter is more fun, eh ?
    just took a road trip with two other people in the RSX over the weekend - just about as cramped as I'd ever want to be! I longed for the old trix more than a few times. Definitely prefer the looks over the RSX too.

I wish the XRS was sold standard with the TRD updates you can buy, like the sways and brakes (without a consequent price increase). And I wish I had never made the mistake of buying automatic, 'cause I might still have that car if it hadn't been for that. :-(

Doing my darnest "Johnny Carson grand wizard" best, McMahon just handed me an envelope, and as I place the unopened envelope to my forehead, guess what I see in it: a Matrix in your future.

Seriously, it is difficult for you to hide your continued interest in this wagon ! And I understand how you feel. I love my Trix too.... Methinks the RSX is just a nice <to-have>, and soon you'll get over it. The XRS already puts out 100hp/liter; that is outstanding since not many cars match this hp-to-displacement ratio. There is the 6-speed tranny to your liking. A few suspension hardwares - sway bars, springs, etc., phat 19"/20" rims all around, and big Brembo brakes, and voila... the Trix turns into your BMW-killer :) All of this canbe achieved without breaking the bank, you know.
    My XRS is an 04 so it only produces 96Hp per liter. Oh, the shame.
    "All of this canbe achieved without breaking the bank, you know"

believe me, I know! :-)

I am going to stick with this one for a while - I am tired of the frequent car-switching. I am very curious to see what they will do with the second-gen Matrix in a couple of years, and I am also possibly interested in one of the bottom-end German rear-drivers that are coming here in the same time frame. The BMW 1-series five-door looks good, for instance. If the 2-series takes off enough, maybe they will bring the 1-er here as well.

2004 XR auto FWD. 2876 mi total. 341.4 mi on last tank. 12.127 gal fill up. -> 28.15 mpg.

Note: This was about 2 mpg lower than my previous worst. No obvious explanation except the pump seemed able to put more gas into the tank. 12.127 gal fill-up seemed to be a lot when the gas needle was still a bit above E. Last time I could only put in 12.017 gal when the needle went way below E and pegged the bottom.
    c'mon Nippon. You'll put faith in BMW on a new release in the US ? Recall the debacle with the X5 ? Don't think the X3 is burning down anyone's door either.... 1-er ! Puleaze... Now if you say you'd want a 330, I'd say go for it cos I love it too.

Anyways, like you, I am anxious to find out what direction Toyota goes with the next Trix. Hopefully, a bigger boost in power and performance in MY 2006.
    I've seen a bunch of X3s here in Miami. I think the X5 looks much much better, but some people seem to like the X3.
    what a waste of time and money that was! Better to do the "Outback treatment" on the 3-series wagon to provide an alternate trim level.

You're right, oac, I would not trust the first-year issue of a BMW, 1-series included. But I am going to try to rein in my impatience and keep this car 5 years, LOL! RWD in my next car would be nice, all other things being equal.

If they can put the Camry 2.4 in the Scion tC, you know it can't be far behind for cars like the Trix, so that is what I expect for the next gen. I just hope there IS a next gen, and they don't morph it into some "kids' offering" under the Scion name.

If they manage to get 170 hp or so out of the 2.4 with the torque boost the larger engine brings, they could make that the base engine, add a TRD S/C for the XRS to make, say 210 hp, and they would have a buyer at my house! :-)

But Toyota, dontcha DARE get rid of that 6-speed. I will not be buying automatic again.

with you Nippon on the X3. I am hopeful that Toyota will play the hp war with the next release of the Matrix. They almost have to, but if the Trix is still married to the Corolla, it may be tough unless the 'Rolla gets a big boost in power as well. Whatever they do, I'll be watching. I already promised my 12-yr-old she'll get the Matrix on her 16th birthday, so she's excited and I must replace this in a couple of years or so. Another Trix won't be that bad, this time an XRS/manual, or whatever they have by 2007, but I am not holding my breath. Maybe I'd go elsewhere to an Acura or something else. Can't think that far yet....