Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    Your dealer told you exactly what the service manager at my dealer told me about the 4WD system. There has been some disagreement in this forum on whether it's a 90/10 split (front and rear, normal condititions) or 100/0. I tried to find information on the internet to confirm this and found next to nothing.

We had an '89 Nissan AWD Sentra wagon (the only year they made this particular 4WD system) that definitely was entirely FWD unless the front wheels slipped, in which case the rear wheels would kick in. After driving our Matrix more in the snow this winter, I can tell you that it has a different feel than the Nissan. With the Nissan you would feel a momentary slip and then traction kicking in again. I haven't noticed this same sensation with the Matrix, so I am more inclined now to believe the service manager.

6 or 8 inches of snow may be pushing it a bit. Isn't ground clearance only something like 6 inches?
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I was always under the impression that it was a front drive vehicle until slippage is detected. The percentages from front to rear are different depending on the conditions. Toyota.ca has a section where all of their 4WD systems are explained. It's in the "Toyota Gazette", page 7. The Gazette can be found in the "What's New" section. Either way it works in a seemless and flawless fashion.
  • brazucabrazuca Member Posts: 95
    Thanks herzogtum71 and petl for your replys. I live in Indianapolis, IN...therefore I don't get that much of snow anyway. You're right, the ground clearance for the Matrix is 5.9' and for the Highlander is 7.3', if someone really needs higher ground clearance, than the job should be done by the 4Runner with 9,1' of clearance. To tell you the truth, I don't all of that and neither a SUV right now, very happy so far with the performance of my 4WD Matrix, very handy for groceries and baby stuff, including a stroller - my wife is pretty happy,which makes my life easier :)

BTW, I found some literature regarding the 4WD system used by Toyota, which is called Viscous Coupling (VC (Volvo also uses it). There is no transfer case and power goes primarily to the front wheels, however, it's legitimately called 4WD because front and rear axles do not rotate at the same speed, the powered axle always rotate a little faster (about 5%), so the VC reacts to the speed difference and compensates allocating power to the rear, this way the rear axle will get 5% of the torque (2.5% for each wheel). This explain the different feeling when driving the Matrix in slippery condition, comparing to the Nissan Centra, the system in the Toyota is already "engaged" at a lower torque, which is increased according to the road condition. All 4 wheels get power all the time. This systems is designed to use in slippery / snowy conditions, NOT for offroad. Anyway, just perfect for my needs.

Do you guys have any data regarding milleage per gallon with your Matrix ?
  • brettmbrettm Member Posts: 1
    i just took my 2004 Matrix in for servicing (oil change, tire rotation) and they suggested I replace my dust and pollen filter. The charged $33.00 for the filter and $16.00 for labour (cdn). I looked at the old filter and decided to clean it with water as it was easy to do. My question is can this filter just be cleaned and replaced?

Thanks,

Brett
  • stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    My local dealer charged $20 for the filter. Some others in my local group have gone to Wal-Mart and purchased a furnace filter, cut it to size and used that. Personally $20 a year for a filter is cheap. $16 for a literally 1 minute job is robbery. My advice is to buy the filter, open the glove box, squeeze the sides (glove box will lower out). Pull out the filter (stright ahead, hard to miss) and replace it.
  • dannydanny Member Posts: 4
    What is the pollen filter? where is it located on the car? All of the cars that I had, all went above 150K miles and none of them has this pollen filter replace. If you could show me where it located, greatly appreciate.

Thanks,
    How many miles per gallon are you guys getting (city and highway) driving with a 4WD Matrix ?
    I've been busy with other things and haven't been on for a while. Thanks for the additional information about the 4WD system. Seems to confirm what we were told by our respective dealers.

Over the first 20,000 miles our 2003 4WD Matrix has averaged 26.8 mpg overall. Lots of short trips (my wife works only about 4 miles from home) mixed with short trips of 15 to 40 miles on the highway to get to the mall, her sister's house, etc.

Best tankful so far has been 30.9 mpg. That was about half interstate and half 2-lane highways in the Pokonos in Pennsylvania.

Worst tankful was 21.8 mpg driving around Evansville, Indiana, mostly in snow and sleet where the 4WD would have been pretty active.
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I have close to 1,000 miles on it and so far an average of 26 mpg considering a mix of 50/50 highway and city. We've been driving only in the winter and got a little bit of snow. I hope to continue with this average or maybe even get a little better, close to 28 mpg, this is my goal. Much better than my previous Jeep Liberty with 16/17 mpg average, it was "killing" me. The horsepower so far is very good and the acceleration meets my needs. We're still surprised by how flexible and versatile this car is for the daily use. We plan to keep it for many years.

Cheers,

Do you drive any other Toyota or Japanese brand vehicle ?
    I had hoped for 30 consistently on the highway, but it's not going to happen. Let us know if you come close to 28 eventually.

I drive an '04 Highlander, 4-cylinder, FWD. Gas mileage is almost the same as the 4WD Matrix -- 25.7 mpg overall for the first 10,000 miles.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    Any FWD owners wish to share their real life mileage ? The EPA range is about 30 city 36 hwy. Is that realistic ? Anyone here gets > 36 on highway, even if it's going downhill with tail wind :)
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm getting 26 in the city in winter (MI) in short-hop driving... 29 in the summer... my wife doesn't drive it much, but when she did a full tank in mixed driving, she got 35 mpg... she has a pretty light foot, and it's a 5sp.
    -Mathias
  • mgvh1mgvh1 Member Posts: 6
    Earlier this week bought a 2005 Matrix XR, and so far we love it. I was planning to get the floor mats, but they didn't have any in stock. Before I go find the Toyota Matrix mats, are there any mats others have found that fit and work well in the Matrix?
    Thanks.
    Mark
    Hi, I also got a Matrix XR and you can try the following web site, they have good prices: camelbacktoyotaparts.com. I bought the all weather rubber mats. Good luck!
    Hi, try to check this website: camelbacktoyotaparts.com. I bought the all weather mats for my Matrix.
  • vonnyvoncevonnyvonce Member Posts: 129
    Trying to replace my plugs on a 2003 vibe and find 2 of the "boots" or are these coils or whatever are stuck to the plugs and I cannot remove them. Any ideas??
    Thank you for the reference. They are considerably cheaper to buy at the camelbacktoyotaparts online store than directly through a dealer.
    Looking to put mud flaps on my 05 Matrix.
    camelbacktoyotaparts.com has two kinds available.
    Anyone have experience with a particular mud flap?
    How easy are they to put on the car on my own?
    Thanks. Mark
    If you have a '05 XR or XRS, I don't think you will be able to add mud flaps, they basically already exists....if you have the standard model, than you will be able to do so. I don't have experience on that, but you'll probably have to drill holes in the car (scary for me, personally). I also suggest that you take a look around and try to see a car like yours, with mud flaps which may look good in some cars and ugly in other models. Good luck with your 05 Matrix, we have near 1,000 miles so far and it's being just perfect for our small family. What kind of mileage are you getting ?
  • midnite2midnite2 Member Posts: 6
    I can't get over 20mpg in town. last tank was 18mpg (without a/c)..'04 matrix FWD only has 4500 miles. Mostly short trips. Freeway trips max was 28mpg..
    I've had NO cooperation or assistance from Toyota regional techs or the dealerships in my area. I'm told that even if they did take it,drive it around a few days and duplicate my statistics, there's nothing they would do because THE COMPUTER shows NO ERRORS..Luck of the draw! California LemonLaw doesn't see this as a problem since the car does work! I was advised to contact the State Attorney General..no response from there..Sticker showed 28/33 (tv ads show 30)..Anyone..had this problem?? Anyone..any suggestions??
    Hi...I have close to 1,000 miles on mine...XR AWD. Not so great gas milleage so far...but better than your numbers. I just started recording it and I'm getting so far 23 mpg with 80% city / 20% highway driving. I've heard that you should have better results when the car reachs 5,000 miles, but you're very close to it.
    Are you measuring it correctly ? You're close to 5,000 miles and should be getting at least 26/27 mpg in the city. Well, I also a bit concerned, I had a Camry before 4 cyl. and was getting 27 mpg in city driving and now, I'm getting 23 ???
  • louie_jlouie_j Member Posts: 11
    Hi All,
    I'm thinking about getting a Matrix. I'm looking at the XR model. It would be an automatic because I'm getting tired of driving a 5-speed in the city and my wife wants to learn how to drive. I don't need the AWD because I have a 4X4 pick-up and don't need to worry about getting around in the snow.
    The wife wanted a Mazda3 but I talked her into the Matrix. There's a baby somewhere in our future and the Matrix will have enough room to carry baby-stuff around in.
    Trying to decide whether to get a used CPO or a new Matrix. A CPO can be had in my area for about $15,000 and the new would be about $18,000. The problem with the CPO cars is that there are only a few and they have 25k-35k miles (mostly '03) models. I'm leaning towards an '05. I know they're suppose to be reliable cars, but I think a car with 0 miles and a fully warranty is worth $3,000.
    Any opinions on CPO vs. new'05??
    How does everyone like their Matrix? Haven't heard too many bad things about them.

Thanks!
    Filled up our new 05 Matrix (2WD, auto) for the first time: 250 miles and 28.8 mpg. About half was highway and the rest in town.

I really like this car. In fact, of the 9 vehicles I've owned, this is my favorite.
    Lots of things I enjoy, but here are two very minor peeves:
    - instead of the outside temperature being so prominent in the display, I would rather see the overall and trip odometer
    - the little slots to hold quarters are a nice idea, but the coins make an annoying rattle
  • wbillwbill Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in buying an 05 AWD Matrix. It's rated to tow up to 1500 lbs. I would not be towing more than that. Probably a max of 1200 lbs. Has anyone used their matrix to tow and how did it do? Thanks wbill
  • wbillwbill Member Posts: 2
    Your engine breaking in will definetly help improve your gas milage. On the negative side it often takes more than the 5K. I've owned auto's who's engines did not fully loosen up until the 10K - 15K range. It sound like you've had it checked out by the dealership. I guess the next step for me would be to do a minor tune up. Plugs wires, rotor, timing checked, ect...
    Let us know 15k or so down the road how you came out in the end (gas mileage improvement).
  • demos3demos3 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone. I have searched through this listing but I can't find what I am looking for!

I drive a 5-spd '04 FWD XR Matrix. I'm pretty happy with it except for the tire situation. It's a lightweight car and I've had a hard time in on wet pavement (as well as in the snow).

Can anyone recommend anything that I can do? It seems like I need to buy new tires. Can you recommend anything else? If buying tires is the best option, can you recommend tire brands/ models/ etc? It would be nice to be able to throw a few sandbags in the trunk but the car's FWD, so that won't be of any benefit. Or will it?

Thanks for any info you pass along.
  • rossm2rossm2 Member Posts: 96
    Putting sandbags in the trunk would be just about the worst thing you could do as far as handling and it won't help traction at all, of course. I would suggest that you go to TireRack.com. It will list all of the tires for your car and give some pretty accurate information on the characteristics of each - according to owner surveys. Good luck.

Ross
  • silverado3silverado3 Member Posts: 3
    we bought our 05 XR in Nov 04 and i am liking it a lot more than I thought. we are getting 29-30mpg (2 wheel drive, auto) mixed city and highway and I kind of drive it like a sports car...heavy on the pedal. It has 5000 miles now. I didn't foresee me driving like that at 51. we have had only one problem; the armrest collapsed when I propped up my body in the driver seat (190lbs) and the plastic sunk under the fabric. Toyota just replaced the whole plastic panel on the driverside door (under warranty). other than that I have loved it. I hope to see a little better mileage as it breaks in.
  • samuelpmsamuelpm Member Posts: 2
    I often cart around a couple of bikes on a rack on the roof of my Civic, but I would love it if the Matrix XR I'm checking out could swallow them up and free up the roof. A dealer told me it's possible and that someone makes a fork clamp that I can attach to the floor (the back of the back seats, probably) to keep the bikes nice and tight. Anyone know about this??
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    You gotta try it to be sure, but I don't think you'll be able to carry two bikes upright... I'm 6"1 and have a 60cm frame with the seat above it... my bike fits fine on its side, but not upright.

-Mathias
    (04 Vibe)
  • mo5mo5 Member Posts: 8
    Is it essential to get AWD? I prefer to get FWD for gas milleage and power and price. But I've never driven in snow, and will be going up to Iowa for med school this summer, so I'm not sure how bad of a handler a FWD would be. I keep hearing different views and I just don't know what to do. Can you guys help me out? Thanx.
    Well, during the summer you won't have to worry about snow :)

I spent one winter in Iowa -- in Davenport -- with a FWD Honda. Except for getting stuck in the alley behind my house after a heavy snowfall, I didn't have any problems. I didn't venture out at all after a couple of nasty ice storms, but 4WD wouldn't have changed my mind about that.

4WD would of course offer more traction, and you would be better able to move about before the roads are fully plowed. But Iowa doesn't get all that much snow in a typical winter, and most people do not have 4WD and they get around fine.
    Thanks for your reply herzogtum71. Very informative and useful. :)
  • azorglubazorglub Member Posts: 43
    It's a nice little car that's quite roomy inside. I really like the seats and the finish of the interior.

The trunk looks big enough to store my mountain bike.

I found the handling to be adequate (XR) and comfortable. The 5 speed was peppy enough while the 4 spd auto is a bit more sluggish although it has no problem going over the speed limit.

Overall, I liked it. Now, I have to decide whether I want to get it now or wait for the year end model incentives. I can get it for invoice minus $500 rebate which is a decent deal.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    '03 XR slush box wit 36K miles, fully broken in by a lead footed driver. Getting 25mpg, mostly city driving. Great car/wagon, excellent handling for a FWD tall wagon. Will do 90mph without breaking a sweat.
  • johnc19johnc19 Member Posts: 15
    I picked up my new 05 Matrix XR 5-speed about 1 month ago and have been pleased with the gas mileage so far. The first fill-up I got 31 MPG with a suburban commute that's a pretty even mix of highway and city driving. On the second fill-up I did slightly better at 33 MPG. I'm expecting these numbers to go up slightly as the car gets fully broken-in and to have no trouble meeting the EPA mileage estimates of 36/30. To this point I have been driving the car fairly gently with no rapid high-RPM accelerating or high-speed cruising (over 75 MPH).
  • angy168angy168 Member Posts: 18
    I got a quote from my local Toyota dealer for invoice+$500 for XR, at $17800 with 6-disc in-dash changer. I thought I seen people are paying below invoice price now?
  • azorglubazorglub Member Posts: 43
    At least in my neck of the woods (SF bay area). I almost bought one, and then decided to hold off until the summer.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    cash back right now, so you should be paying AT MOST invoice minus $250. Tell them $17K flat, or you will walk. Check out some of the bigger volume dealers - they will give you that price.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Hi guys,

the remote control that came with my matrix doesn't have the feature to open the rear window..it only has the lock/unlock/panic features. The car is a base model with the power package. Should't the keyless entry that comes with power package open the rear hatch window as well? My dealer refuses to give me the right remote, they say that's what toyota supplied them with. Anyone out there w/o the full featured remote? thanks.
    I thought they all came with the three-button remote with additional panic button on the back side. (In fact, for a long time I thought you had to have the remote to open the hatch window.) I hope this isn't a cost-cutting measure from Toyota.
    Okay guys, this really sucks. I called Toyota customer service, they said they understand my concern so they transferred me to their corperate office---which then again referred me to the dealer..."Your dealer is supplied with the appropiate information to resolve your case"..yea right..call the dealer again, same o'answer NO. Come on Toyota..gee...i just bought this car 3 days ago. Anyways, the remote is not even programmed to work with the car (another indication that its not the right remote)..dealer has me come in next week so they can program it..what a fuss, didn't expect it from Toyota..really disappointed.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Is this a new vehicle? If it is, there is no reason why they should not have provided you with the proper remote. Speak with the Manager at the dealership (if the salesperson is unable to help). If he/she is unable to resolve the issue, inform him/her that you will be filing an official complaint (in writting) with Toyota. The only other advise I can give you is "do not get angry". Just stick with the facts. Have a copy your receipt(s) handy. You may even tell them that they are forcing you to do something that you would prefer not to do. Any reputable dealer should be able to accomodate you (without giving you a hard time). Good Luck. Remember, it takes about 3 to 4 seconds of pressing on the remote button before the back window will unlock (it isn't instant).
    Hello, I bought a Matrix AWD XR about 2 months ago and it has the three buttom remote + panic, however, it takes a few seconds before the back glass is released and it does not "pops out" like the one in the Jeep Liberty, you have to do it manually. It does not botter me, the car is so handy that my wife prefers it over the minivan to drive downtown. We have a small baby and this car is just perfect, you will see. Talk to your dealer and in last case, I'll tell you, we never use this feature in the remote, normally we just open the back door. Good luck.
    I have never heard of a having to program the remote on a new vehicle. We had to have one replaced for our 2003 Matrix last fall. It looks like the part was $111.06 and labor was $25.00 for programing it to match the car.

BTW, ours came with two remotes plus a third standalone key. Did they give you just one remote?
  • matrixxrs04matrixxrs04 Member Posts: 1
    I have been getting as high as 37-38 on the highway...around town is another story. I need to learn to stay off the gas I guess
  • mn_jamesmn_james Member Posts: 1
    I bought an '05 XR last week, I have 200 miles on it, and when I went to go start it this morning the check engine light came on. Everything sounds alright, has anybody heard of a simple problem that may cause this? I have already checked the easy things, gas cap, oil filler cap...

Thanks
    Thanks guys, I went to another toyota dealer, and they took care of it immediately. I agree that I won't use the feature that often, but I just couldn't go along with the idea of getting less for what I paid for. At least now I could move on with other problems that the car has...hard start (read the maint. thread), and a large gap btw the front bumper and the left headlight, a noise coming from the driver's side door, etc...
    When we were traveling and had the cargo space packed full. We put frequently used stuff on top, and by using the remote button to open the rear window we were able to access this stuff without having to open the entire rear hatch.
  • walleye5walleye5 Member Posts: 26
    Just drove my new Vibe to work for the first time. The wind was 20-30 mph and gusty. I was extremely disappointed the way the wind throws the vehicle around on the road, plus some wind noise. My '96 Saturn SC2 handles 10X better. I know the Vibe is higher, but did not expect it to be this bad. Has anyone else noticed this? Is the Matrix any better with it's slightly different roof line and side design? I guess I'm stuck with a new car that am less than impressed with. Thanks