Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    The Matrix gets tossed around by the wind too. It's a function of the large cross-section and light weight. You can't expect it to perform the way a coupe does.
  • kriyakriya Member Posts: 10
    I am researching options to purchase my first car. Among my other choices, is a used CPO Matrix XR (a 2004 mostly). Here are my concerns:

From some of the photos I've seen, the spoilers in the front seem to touch the ground or are very close to it. Does this cause any problems (such as dragging on the ground)? It is supposed to be an option, but isn't really if you want one of the Packages (1 or 2)

Also I suppoes I wonder about its reliability .. I know its a Toyota, but its still relatively new. Any comments on it?

Anyone have an idea on how the FWD measures against the AWD on automatic transmission?

Thank you very much
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    We were concerned about the spoiler because we have a big hump at the end of our driveway (to keep rainwater in the street so it goes into a storm drain instead of down the driveway). Our '87 Nova (aka California-built Corolla) would scrape when loaded, but we haven't had that problem with the Matrix.

However, at least one person in this forum reported damaging the thing in a snowbank, and you don't want to pull into a parking place and drive forward until your tires hit the curb.

We have an '03 AWD and have had no issues whatsoever except for the headlight sensor that kept turning the lights on and off. They replaced the sensor and fixed the problem, and by the 2004 model year they were coming with the new sensor off the assembly line

As for AWD vs. FWD, if you want a lot of pep you won't be happy with the AWD. For our purposes the AWD has been more than adequate, though.
  • thndrstmthndrstm Member Posts: 47
    I got a quote of 500 below invoice and that was before the 500 rebate. Has anyone done better?
  • sincerussincerus Member Posts: 6
    Hello there--

I just picked up my 05' Matrix XR 5-SPD in Suburbia Detroit on last friday--and so far, I LOVE it! I paid $16,860 (dealer invoice) + tax, which came out to $18,102. It came with the QP Package (sunroof, fog lights, etc.), the 6-disc changer, Preffered Accessory Package, and the All-Weather Package. Love the color--dark blue.

Sound like a decent price to everyone?

I wish it had tinted windows and the compass rearview mirror, but I LOVE every other part!! Great gas milage, smooth drive, and changing gears is a breeze. Would like to get some accessories (rearview mirror), anyone know of a good place?

Weird thing--I totaled my old car on 3/17/05--St. Patty's Day. This car that I bought--the Matrix--was invoiced and shipped to the dealer on 3/17/05. I think I was born for this car... :)

In response to the post about the Remote Security button not having the hatch--I noticed on 1 site (either carsdirect.com, or cars.com) that in the options, there were 2 different options for the Remote Keyless entry, and one of them didn't have the hatch button on them.

Thanks!
    Was that site specifically for remotes for the Matrix? My Highlander has no button for the hatch window since the glass doesn't open separately.
    This is what I saw:

When I was on one of those websites, and I was building my car, I noticed that there were two different options for "Remote Keyless Entry". One of them was cheaper than the other, and this is what lead me to believe they must have a basic remote keyless entry.

I hope this helps...I tried finding that site, but to no avail :(. In my endless researching for a new car I forget where I saw it...sorry!
    OK--Kind of a picky question, but none the less.

Has anyone figured out how to have the Toyota Matrix XR remote keyless entry button have the car "beep-beep" when you lock it? All my car does is flash the lights twice.

I would like some sort of a sound to confirm so that I can walk away without having to stair at my car and see if it is locked or not.

Thanks
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I think a loud "beep-beep" sounds cheap. I prefer the fact that it doesn't make a sound (I find very annoying when I hear that loud sound on other vehicles). Look back as you walk away. The stare is only for 2 or 3 seconds. I would prefer to see my lights flashing (to confirm the lock-up) as opposed to assuming that it was my vehicle making that sound (you're going to look anyway).The muted or near silent sound is more classy (even sophisticated). Just my opinion.
    Our Matrix is silent, and the Highlander beep-beeps. I agree with petl, as beep-beep might disturb others late at night. But at least it's not the horn going honk-honk like it was with a Subaru I once rented.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Only problem with the lights flashing and no sound is that on a really bright sunny day, it is hard to see the lights flash!
    Does this mean you wouldn't be able to see the signal light (when functioning) on a vehicle? We are talking about lights in front and in the back of a vehicle... not just one little light. I'm sure they are still visible during a bright sunny day.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    They are visible, but not easily from an angle, and not if there is a large vehicle parked next to you!
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I agree with mcdawgg. I prefer a car that beeps or honks when you lock it. Instead of having to turn around and look for the right number of flashes from the turn signals, I can just keep walking and be satisfied that the beep means its locked. One of my previous cars flashed twice when unlocked and once when locked. I was forever double-checking it because I wasn't sure I looked quick enough to see the # of flashes or I wasn't at the right angle to see the lights. My current car flashes once when unlocked and flashes twice when locked as well as honks the horn once. I much prefer this setup. If it's late at night and I don't want to disturb anyone, I just lock the door with my power lock switch before shutting it. I must say though that I don't see why the noise would sound cheap to some people.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    The car beeps or remains silent as you wish; you may have to read the manual. Something to do with holding down lock+unlock for so many seconds; I forget.

This was the first thing I did with my wife's 98 Sienna, which honked the horn when it locked. I fixed that.

The 2003 Sienna had a fairly discreet but audible electronic beep. Fixed that.

The 2004 Vibe also had the beep, but it was disabled from the factory. Enlightenment comes slowly.

Personally, I think a car that barks in any way makes me look like a dork. No offense intended to those who disagree. But as far as feedback; I can tell from the sound when the car locks, unlocks the driver's door, or unlocks all four doors. I can also tell whether the car was already locked. So I don't see the need for the beep at all.

-Mathias
  • rossm2rossm2 Member Posts: 96
    Mark me fully in the "silent column". I have always found the "beep beep" just another annoying bit of noise pollution.

Ross :)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Just another note about this. If you are close enough to the car to hear the locks working, then yes, the honk is not needed. It also isn't needed as much on cars that have the stalk on the top of the door panel indicating whether the door is locked or not. However, the past 6 cars I've owned all had the door lock indicator down by the door handle so you can't tell by looking from the outside whether it's locked. The honk also makes me feel that others nearby think it has an alarm even if it doesn't. A little extra feeling of security if you will.
  • boatlessboatless Member Posts: 2
    I am considering an '05 Matrix SR. The only thing holding me back is that there is no factory roofrack for it in Canada! Does anyone know if they are available in the US? What is everyone else using?
    :D
    OK--

I never thought this would have evolved into such a opinionated conversation!

First off, I don't care what OTHER people think of me and my car--since when does it matter if you look like a dork or not when your locking your car? Rediculous. It shouldn't matter. Secondly, I can also tell when the car unlocks and locks---but not at distances of more than 30 feet.

So the problem still remains---How can I program my remote to beep-beep?
    Like I wrote before:

"The car beeps or remains silent as you wish; you may have to read the manual. Something to do with holding down lock+unlock for so many seconds; I forget."

Looks like you'll reallly have to read it...

Ever helpful, I remain,
    -Mathias
    To get a factory roof rack you'll have to get the Pontiac Vibe. My Toyota dealer sells an after-market roof rack that will fit the Matrix, but it's not from Toyota.

When we first got our '03 I checked to see if I could order a Vibe factory roof rack and install it on the Matrix. We decided it wouldn't work because the hatch is shaped a bit differently on the Vibe.
    Ahh...don't you think I would have checked that by now? :confuse:

I have read it back and forth, googled it, and I still can't find anything. Do you have instructions in your manual?
  • boatlessboatless Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Herzogtum71.... that is sort of lame about the roofracks. Hmmm.

I did some more fishing around for pricing etc today. Can someone please spell this out in simple english for me- in Canada they sell the Base model with a B package (power locks, aluminum wheels, A/C, keyless entry wheel locks, clean air filter and illuminated entry), and the next step up (for about $2800) is the XR FWD, which has all of the above plus cruise control and power windows. I prefer a manual transmission, so the cruise control wouldn't be a concern if I were to get the Base model rather than the XR. The thing is, the base model does not have power windows. Can they seriously be charging $2800 extra for power windows? Am I missing something?
    Thanks
  • vlanman25vlanman25 Member Posts: 49
    A friend of mine (not me), recently bought a 2005 Matrix and appears to be having problems at random intervals starting the vehicle. Apparently it will take a good 30 seconds and several tries to start the car. I have warned him about keys flopped over the engine immobilzer key, asked about cold/hot engine conditions etc., and there appears to be no pattern to it.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered similar problems . The car is being looked at now by a Toyota Service department but given the sporadic nature of the problem I don't have much hope in them finding the answer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Ok-I have thoroughly searched the manual, the internet, and any other source of information. I cannot figure out how to program my keyless remote to "beep-beep" when I lock it.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks
    Go ask your local dealer.
  • sumnewparksumnewpark Member Posts: 1
    hey not sure if you're still looking for a roof rack on the matrix, but I just saw some options for one on toyotapartspeople.com hope it helps.
  • swimmer8packswimmer8pack Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for an aftermarket sound system for Toyota Matrix. I found tons of differnet subs and amps along with speakers and headunits, and all claim to be top fo the line. Which ones are actually top of the line and what makes them so great? Also what are some of the specifications to look out for when purchasing a sound system?
  • swimmer8packswimmer8pack Member Posts: 2
    hey i dont know if you were ever able to get the beep-beep going, however, i have asked around and everyone i have asked so far said that the stock matrix alarm doesn't have the beep-beep function its only silent, unless u were able to figure it out. If so please let me know, thanks a lot!
  • fatguyfatguy Member Posts: 8
    I'm trying to ascertain whether the rear cargo storage area -- with all seats upright -- will hold a collapsible dog crate. Could somebody with a Matrix do me a favor and give me the length and width of the true continuous usable portion of that cargo space. In other words, the length and width of the largest size solid rectangular flat object that could be laid on the floor of the cargo area? I'd very much appreciate it, as I can't seem to find anything but volume measures online.

A related question: does anybody use the Matrix with a dog? How does your dog like it? Is the air conditioning strong enough to keep the back seat area quite cool? How about if the dog rides in the cargo area all the way back -- will the air conditioning reach there? I'm trying to determine whether I can get the following family into a Matrix comfortably: Mom & Dad in front; infant in car seat in rear outboard seat (eventually becoming toddler etc.); English bulldog (approx 55 pounds) in rest of rear seat; dog crate folded up in back cargo area lying flat; a bunch of groceries or a stroller or a couple of small suitcases on top of the crate. Additional possible configuration for short in-town drives: Mom & Dad in front; Grandma, Grandpa, and baby in back; dog in cargo area. Thoughts?
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    I will grant you that I am not a pet's person but I do have a 5 month old. Shouldn't you separate your infant from your dog no matter how friendly your dog is ? This is unrelated to Matrix discussion but your dog, no matter how well trained, is still an animal. Why trust your precious infant to with an animal ? And I don't mean to offend pet lovers here.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Some of the configurations you're talking about sound like a pretty tight fit -- especially the Grandma and Grandpa plus baby in back. Not to mention a 55 pound bulldog. Have you looked at slightly larger wagons, like the Subaru Legacy/Outback or the Mazda6? The Mazda6 wagon has a built-in dog net that is very nice. Also, I'm pretty sure an unfolded crate would fit in the back of a Subaru Forester, so the taller vehicles like Honda CRV, Toyota Highlander, might really be more comfortable for everyone (Forester, however, is a very tight fit in the rear, so I think Outback might fit your needs more). Probably your best bet is to bring car seats, crates (minus the dog) and even Grandma and Grandpa along to the dealer to see how things fit. If we had done that, we probably would never have bought the Forester, because the Grandpa at our house really could not get comfortable in that rear seat.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I appreciate that you're concerned, coupedncal, and I hope it will make you feel better to know that our dog rides in a car harness/restraint (it's called a "Roadie") that secures to the seatbelt mechanism. It's essentially like having two babies in car seats in the two outboard positions. Neither is going to get into the other's space.

If you happen to be a Matrix owner with a tape measure, do you think you might be able to get me those cargo hold dimension? I'd be much obliged. Many thanks.
    I am not a Matrix owner yet so can't help you there. I am sure other kind folks here will provide you the dimensions. Better yet, why don't you take a drive into your local dealer and look at it in person. It will give you much better idea.
    Suydam, I'm sure I would prefer a Mazda6! But you're talking about a car that costs nearly $10,000 more than a Matrix (base $24,605 v base $15,400). Ditto for those SUVs: they're just not happening for us -- and that's not even looking at the fuel economy expense. If I were to be looking at a Mazda, it would have to be the 3, and there I think the Matrix just has better space. I like Mazdas very much as driving machines, but I also prefer the Matrix's upright/on-top sitting position -- subjectively, I just like the Matrix better and think it's more useful for our family. The Subarus, I just don't like. Nothing against them, but when we've had use of my mother-in-law's Forester we've reacted very negatively to it. I think they're great cars for some people, but we've always been uncomfortable in Subarus.

The idea with the Matrix isn't that we're going to be driving all day and all night with those fully packed configurations. The idea is that I need to know we can get away with it in a pinch -- like maybe once or twice a month for a run to the suburbs or whatever. The primary use of the vehicle will just be to tote the humans around New York City.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    then probably you'll be fine. Sometimes we think we have to be prepared for every possible combination. When we had our first baby and money was very tight, we got by with a tiny Ford Fiesta, and as you say, 90% of the time that was ok. I still think you ought to bring items you need to fit in the back to see if they work. Another possibility, don't know if you hate Fords (lots of people do; I tend to count myself as one of them)) is the Ford Focus wagon. Cheap, the high seating, and tons of room in the back. We drove one in Europe and really liked it, but haven't tried the American version. It had enough room in the rear for my 5'11" daughter without too much discomfort for a whole day's driving.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I do like the Focus's configuration, and coincidentally I also drove one in Europe -- it seems to be a really popular rental car over there. But, like you, I'm firmly in the anti-Ford camp. After my two nightmare maintenance experiences with American cars (a Ford and a Plymouth), I'm looking to Toyota, Honda, etc. for my next purchase.
    A friend of mine has a couple of big dogs and is quite happy with his new Subaru Legacy. I tend to like Subarus, but I'm not interested in owning one.

The Ford Focus wagon has a very large cargo area, and I know people who have had good luck with them. When I was looking for a new car a year ago, I ruled out the focus simply because the rear seat has no real head restraints. It didn't seem wise to have two teenagers back there and get into a wreck.

As for lower-priced vehicles with a wagon-like configuration, you might want to look at Korean SUVs. A few years ago I wouldn't have suggested it, but one of Hyndai's cars recently was ranked the most reliable car on the road in America. And Korean cars tend to come with a 10 year 100K warranty.
  • matrixfamilymatrixfamily Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: we noticed the other day that on the back bottom of the passenger seat under the hard back surface that there is not fabric covering....is this standard in all matrix's?
    i am thinking that since it is the seat that lays down maybe they have a different covering for better wear but it doesn't seem like it would hold up as well(it is a grey felt feeling covering). we got our AWD MATRIX XR in february and have had no probs. except that this plastic thing under the passenger seat on the left side snapped off but should be easy to reattach. has anyone else had that happen?
    our main concern is the fabric..or lack there of and if it is 'normal'?
    we will be going to the dealership today to find out.
  • pcotugnopcotugno Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2005 Matrix. Has anyone ever had the daytime running lights disconnected? What has it cost? I'm an amateur astronomer and must turn off my lights before driving into a "dark sky site" so I don't ruin everyone's eyes for 20 minutes with a burst of bright lights.

pcotugno
    I would suggest that you simply lift the hand brake lever a couple of notches - not enough to engage the brake at all. This will turn off the DRLs. It is a free solution and will not reduce the safety factor of having DRLs for your normal driving. I hope this helps.

Ross
  • vonnyvoncevonnyvonce Member Posts: 129
    I think the car has to be started with the handbrake up a notch. I don't think raising the handbrake while the car is running will shut them off.
    This works with every car I have owned since 1990 when DRLs became required in Canada. It is possible that the implementation is different in the US models, though I would be surprised.

Ross
  • mgvh1mgvh1 Member Posts: 6
    After having somehow getting locking out of my 05 Matrix twice (once with the car running; fortunately had the spare key handy) and being annoyed with having to unlock the back seat door all the time, I read the manual. Not exactly clear about the specifics, but it states when the car automatically locks itself after 30 seconds. BUT, it turns out that the locking system can be programmed to one of four options. I set mine to Option 3 where it locks when the car is on and you move out of Park. It unlocks when you move back into Park. Now my doors are unlocked when I want them to be, and I will be locked out only if it is my forgetfulness.
    So, two things you can learn from me: 1) Have a spare key handy 2) Read the manual and decide how you want the power locks to work.
    There are 2 seperate issues.

1) The vehicle will not automatically lock itself (after 30 seconds) if the key is in the ignition and it is running. This feature will only work if you attempt to unlock the doors (with the remote) and don't open one door within the 30 second time frame. You can however lock the car with it running and/or having the key in the ignition with a spare key from the outside or depressing the lock feature on the door. Some vehicles have an additional feature where you are unable to lock the door when the key is in the ignition unless it is done from the inside of the car (all doors must be closed) or from the outside with an extra key.

2) Programming to one of the 4 settings is a personnal matter and is not related to the 30 second time frame (which is a keyless remote feature).
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    no, it is true: in the U.S. simply pulling up the handbrake does NOT turn off the DRLs. You have to start the car and leave the handbrake on. I always used to be annoyed this when I had mine. However, you can shift to neutral as you approach the place where you want the lights off (for me it was the gate at a military base) and flick the engine off momentarily, pulling the handbrake up one click as you do so. Then immediately restart the engine and shift back to drive (leaving the handbrake on one click). Not the easiest process, and kids: don't try this at home. But it does work.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Not to disagree with you, but on my car (base 5sp Vibe, 2004), there is NO way to turn the DRL's off. Even with the handbrake on, as soon as the car is started, on come the flippin' lights.

I don't mind DRL at all, but I sure would like to be able to turn 'em off. My previous two Prizms (98, 99 5speeds) worked as advertised, and as you described.

-Mathias
    Very interesting! :confuse:

Ross
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    seriously? That sucks! Maybe they have changed it since my 2003. Or maybe it is a Pontiac thing, and the Toyota versions work slightly differently? On my car, at first start-up, the DRLs would come on as soon as I put the handbrake down (in gear or not).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Why can't you pull the fuse ? I am just curious. I have had other cars where you could just pull the DRL fuse and on you go. The beast is off your back.