Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• Options
    phankanephankane Member Posts: 57
    I out down a deposit for the following:
    XR auto.
    Sport package
    Cruise Control
    Throw in carpet

Why do I have to part 400 clams for processing fee!!!
    If you order thru internet, don't you pay any tax?
  • Options
    c1rybickc1rybick Member Posts: 35
    Yup. The Cressida has both the overdrive button and the ECT. I never ever drive with the od off. No need to...

I'm curious as to what the interior's like in a Matrix (how nice is it?). There's a beautiful red XRS on the local dealer's lot (retail $23k, and it doesn't have side airbags, just the 17 in rims and a bunch of extra cost junk), but I have State Contest tomorrow (band), and we're leaving for Mexico Friday (mission trip), so I won't get to look at a Matrix in person for a couple of weeks. Might get Mom to pick up a brochure tomorrow though.
  • Options
    scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    Don't pay it. If they won't "waive" it, then go to another dealer.

My dealer charged a $289.00 processing fee, but they waived it to get my business.
  • Options
    xr_matrixxr_matrix Member Posts: 96
    I ordered my Matrix in late Feb and the build start date is slated as May 8th. The dealer claimed about 30days after this for the actual building of the car, the transfer to the auto yard, the shipment to the dealership and finally the PDI process. He said I should be able to take delivery by June 8th. He seemed quite sure of this date so I have never heard of anything different...you should ask your dealer for a build date...they know this date for sure.
  • Options
    Processing fees for Toyota are included in the PDI charges as well as a FULL TANK OF GAS! Make sure you get this...do a build of the vehicle on Toyota.com and show the dealer on the sheet processing/administration fee as included. It also states right there a full tank of gas...petty I know put it is yours...take it! Your dealership is just trying to get some extra cash above the MSRP and masking it as something else...
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    We also ordered our Matrix in late February. I was informed a couple days later that it would be built in March and the delivered in April. Called on Tuesday to obtain more information. The dealer has yet to call back. I get the feeling it may take longer than previously thought.
  • Options
    phankanephankane Member Posts: 57
    Thank for your advice, it is a heartbreaking to say goodbye to George 400 times, really.
  • Options
    dlh3dlh3 Member Posts: 18
    I have read several posts in the Matrix Town Hall about following some special break-in regimen for Toyota engines. The Pontiac Vibe owner's manual only says to vary your driving speed during the first 500 miles. Would the base Matrix owner's manual have something different? Thanks.
  • Options
    leafguy2727leafguy2727 Member Posts: 83
    Hey DLH I"m up to 2500 KM's on mine. If I remember I believe the breakin period was listed as 1200 to 1400 kms so it's what 1.6 miles to the KM?? Close enough then.

p.s. Let me give you a breakin tip. Don't take it on the highway with the Emergency brake on. LOL, phew what a stink!!!

P.S. TRIED ORDERING A CARGO NET BUT THEY INQUIRED AND WERE TOLD THEY ARE NOT AVAILABLE YET. ANYONE IN CANADA HAVE A CARGO NET???
  • Options
    I just posted a question regarding the break in period on the Owner's Club....

The Matrix break in period is 1000 miles, during which time it states not to exceed 55mph.

This is the exact same break in that was on my 1988 Supra. I can't believe that Toyota hasn't gotten a better break in period after 14 years

If I go 55mph on the capitol beltway, I will be run over.

You are exactly right about the Vibe break in period.

Since they are the same engine, I wonder what one to believe.

Any thoughts anyone?
  • Options
    If you want to get a good price on a Matrix, get a Costco membership.

On a whim I called them up at got the # for my local authorized Toyota dealer. Called them and found out that the price was about $300 less than I was getting thru my credit union buyers service.

Here's the final tally.

Matrix XR 5-speed Indigo Ink Pearl, Dark Interior

Navigation System
    17" Wheels
    Side Airbags
    All Weather Guard Package
    Sport Plus Package
    Anti-Lock Brakes
    Cruise Control
    Alloy Wheel Locks
    Rear Bumper Protector
    Rear Cargo Mat
    Floor Mats
    VIP Security System
    Auto Dimming Mirror

MSRP $21,059.00

Costco Price $19,048.00

Previous buyers service price $19,349.00

Total Savings $2011.00

So, even if you don't have a Costco membership, it looks like $40 well spent!

Build date is April 4th, hopefully I'll have it around the first week of May.
  • Options
    I am not a big fan of Moonroofs (just don't use them that much).

But.....

I'm wondering if I should get one on my Matrix (have until Monday to change my order).

The 17" tires are supposed to last around 30,000 miles, the 16" are supposed to last around 40,000 miles.

The extra cost to get the Moonroof (nixing the 17" tires for 16") is $480.00

Would it help the resale value down the road to have the moonroof vs. not having it?
  • Options
    echowranglerechowrangler Member Posts: 23
    I got a moonroof on my XR - didn't intend to get one, but the car I like had it, so I bought it. I now am really glad I have it. I live in a hot climate (Hawaii) and tipping up the moonroof when I first get in really helps cool the interior in a hurry. That's important to me. I don't worry about the resale, I'll have this car for a long time, unless I give it to one of my daughters in a few years.

Aloha,

Jim B.
  • Options
    limpyboylimpyboy Member Posts: 26
    dlh3, leafguy:

1km =0.6214 miles. So the break-in in leafguy's Canadian manual was about 744-900 miles.

Not being anal, just trying to help.
  • Options
    TupTup Member Posts: 200
    The dealer said breakin is not as imp. as it used to be since the engines are bench run. However, I think that it's a good idea to follow the guidlines to some degree...it's not going to hurt anything and may lengthen the life of the engine. Not going over 55MPH or 80Km's is a little unrealistic though. Once the breakin was over I pushed the engine more and was pleased with the performance.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Costco selles cars down there?

I've never heard of that.
  • Options
    me either...I can hear it now...

"Yes, I will have a qallon of milk, a package of blank CD's, and a 2003 Matrix XR 5spd!"
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    They don't sell cars themselves, they just have a buying service that you can use that's available to members. BJ's has the same thing. And for those who don't know, BJ's is the same kind of club as Costco is.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I know what you mean about driving at 55mph on the 495. When I got my new car, it was really hard to maintain 55mph and not be killed. :) I did it though, got yelled at and blown at alot. I drive almost 100 miles a day though, so I hit 1000 in no time (I work in Lanham, live in Baltimore). You will be fine though. Just go run out the mileage somewhere else is all I can tell ya. :)
  • Options
    vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    The moonroof is nice but I don't think it will add much to resale value. I live in a sunny climate, it used to be important but now find I don't use it because it brings on a funny road noise & the sun gets in my eyes over the top of my sunglasses. I might not get one on the new car, but wouldn't mind if it came with. Good tip on Costco, gotta check it out. The indigo blue is beautiful, congrats on your purchase. I was wondering when you'd be getting it. Still no XRS available in So. Calif. I have a prospective buyer for my car so it might not be a Matrix after all. But this board is so nice, I might peek in on y'all. This car selling/purchasing business has my head in a buzz.
  • Options
    tomkisttomkist Member Posts: 6
    Just purchased a new XR after shopping around for a couple weeks. Unfortunately in CA Toyota is only outfitting the XR a couple different ways, and to get ABS you have to get the moonroof and a few other bells and whistles... personally, I like the packages for the midwest better (ABS, Cruise, 17" wheels, all-weather package, sports plus) than the CA packages. Here's the deal I got at Geweke Toyota in Lodi:

Matrix XR, Indigo Ink
    Auto
    ABS
    Sport Package (Moonroof, AL wheels)
    Sports Plus (Fog Lamps, Spoilers)
    6CD
    Floor Mats, Cargo Mat, Cargo Nets

MSRP: $19,642
    Price: $18,641

And to top it off, working with Geweke was a much more pleasant experience than any of the other dealers we tried working with. In particular, Magnussen Toyota in Palo Alto was frustrating and a waste, do not buy your car from them.

To sum up: if you live in the SF Bay Area, look up Geweke Toyota in Lodi and they'll give you as a good a deal as anywhere in the Bay Area without the hassle.
  • Options
    artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Haven't inquired, but don't think they offer the same buying service here as they do in the States. It would be nice, a great membership reward. Also in the US, some Costco's have gas bars, selling gas much cheaper than anywhere else.
    We sure don't get as much for our membership up here.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    it would be helpful to have an additional discussion on the Hatchbacks or Wagons board for both Matrix and Vibe (enthusiasts) combined.

I realize you can also compare notes with each other in the separate Matrix and Vibe discussions, but I also thought creating a combined discussion specifically for this purpose might be helpful.... Let me know what you think.

Also, if you do like the idea, any suggestions for a title: "Matrix & Vibe comparison" or on a more friendly note "Matrix & Vibe Enthusiasts (Shared info.)" Thanks for your input.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • Options
    montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    I think sunroofs are great things, nothing like fresh air and sunshine. But if you go factory roof than you can not get the DVD, I believe.
  • Options
    Ya, we got a membership for Christmas but I doubt I will re-new it. No way I am getting the membership fee worth out of it. If they had gas, liquor/beer and auto buying up here I would always be a member though!

Bummer.
  • Options
    rljacorljaco Member Posts: 7
    We are looking at the Matrix. Unlike the Vibe,we have been told by the dealer that roof rails are not available in the Matrix. His only suggestion is that the Toyota parts dept. explore buying them as parts from Pontiac and putting them on at the dealership. We want to use a kayak rack so this is important to us. Has anyone dealt with this, and is the Vibe our only choice if we want roof rails? Also I understand the Vibe has a 5 year warranty whereas Matrix has a 3 year. In terms of the actual coverage of stuff likely to fail, is there a significant added value re warranty for the Vibe? What other significant differences are there between the two vehicles? Thanks.
  • Options
    rljaco

You may want to read through the posts in accessories and modifications...there are several posts throughout disucssing roof racks. Summary...Yakima make a rack to fit a Matrix, Thule do not yet. Vibe rack is so far back on the vehicle, it would not serve as a good rack for a kayak, especially a sea kayak...
  • Options
    Actually the Matrix is for 5 years (powertrain) and the Vibe has a 3 year warranty. However, 24hr roadside assistance is not offered with Toyota. This feature is only available in Canada.

Toyota's warranty is as follows;

Basic Coverage: All components other than normal wear and maintenance items are covered for 36 months/36,000 miles.

Powertrain Coverage: Your engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, seatbelts and air bags are covered for 5 years/60,000 miles.

Rust-Through Coverage: Corrosion perforation of sheet metal is covered for 60 months/unlimited miles.

GM's Vibe is;

Warranty is for 3-years/36,000-miles (whichever comes first) New Vehicle Limited Warranty covers repairs, including labor and parts, to correct any defects in material or workmanship occurring during the warranty period. The vehicle is covered, except for adjustments and normal maintenance.

All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust-through corrosion for 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended. See your Pontiac dealer for terms of this and other limited warranties.

24-hour Roadside Assistance* that provides in an emergency:
    Free lockout assistance
    Free dead-battery assistance
    Free out-of-fuel assistance
    Free flat-tire change
    Free towing for warranty repairs
    Courtesy transportation

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    dlh3dlh3 Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone have a Matrix with the rear window wiper? Does your rear washer fluid dispenser spray a fan shaped pattern or just send a stream of fluid down the back window? Thanks.
  • Options
    I know you can't get the moonroof and Nav on the Vibe, but I can't find anything that says I can't on the Matrix. I need to call the dealer to double check....sigh, decisions, decisions.....
  • Options
    tuttaviatuttavia Member Posts: 7
    I guess the internet division of one of the Toyota dealer may not have been serious a couple of weeks ago when she said "one [xrs] ... should arrive early next week:
    2003 Matrix 2WD XRS Auto: White
    V.I.P Security System
    $20,124"
    I emailed her back and offered her $20,000, out the door (including tax & license, etc.), but I haven't heard back. I was at another dealer where they said they had one, too.
    Regarding XR's, the "no-haggle" Credit Union representative price at a few dealers , a group purchasing arrangement similar to CostCo, has been around $17,500, including Sports Package, 17" tires, auto trans, not including tax & license.
    All I've really been looking for is a decent used wagon, like a late model Accord or Camry, but I can't seem to find one. Minivans are too big for my needs. The Matrix is the closest to what I am looking for -- and then some! I like the one I tried very much, just concerned about having sufficent HPs. Has anyone tried one on the freeway -- did it seem like it could keep up with traffic?
  • Options
    luckyeightluckyeight Member Posts: 9
    MY XR IS DOING WELL ON THE SO. CAL. FREEWAY. LOTS
    OF KICK AND ZIP. NO PROBLEM AT ALL. CRUISE SPEED
    THE MATRIX ENGINE IS VERY QUIET. THE HANDLING REMINDS ME OF MY ACCORD AND 91 ALFA SPIDER VELOCE VERY SPORTY AND NIMBLE. DROVE AROUND STAPLES CENTER AND DOWNTOWN L.A. TODAY, EVERYONE ON THE STREET WERE
    STARING AT THE CAR. MY XR IS FULLY LOADED EXCEPT FOR MOONROOF AND NAVIGATOR OPTIONS. VERY HAPPY SO FAR. IF THE RACING LIMITED EDITION
    MATRIX IS OFFERED I WILL TRADE IT IN MY XR. I NEED TO LOWER THE CAR ONCE THE LOWER SPRINGS ARE AVAILABLE HERE THROUGH MY DEALER
    FOR BETTER PROPORTION AESTHETICLY. CARGO COVER SUCKS, VERY TACKY IMO.
  • Options
    Well, I'm not sure if I've used the rear washer yet. I will try it out and let you know. I must say the front washer is about the best I've used in any vehicle. It has 3 jets on each side and the coverage is perfect. I always seem to waste washer fluid in other cars trying to time the spray to when the wiper will carry the fluid over to a place where the sprayers blind spot. I also like the fact that the rear wiper is vinyl and not metal. On a hatchback or wagon or SUV, metal rear wipers rust fairly quickly due to all the salt spray that hits them.
  • Options
    Thanks luckyeight, glad to hear about your satisfaction with your XR. Freeway use, with its stop and go as well as long-term higher speeds, has been a concern of mine since the dealers don't usually take you out for a test drive on a freeway -- rush hour traffic wouldn't be too fun anyway. Also, I too like the handling of the Matrix I tried -- I especially noticed the steering around corners and braking to be more responsive than the new Civic I've also tried. To all, and with apologies if any of these topics were covered somewhere around/between message #'s 124 and 130 (I haven't had a chance to read a lot of the first 800 messages):
    - What is the Racing Limited Edition or is there a link to where I can read about it?
    - Will any of the dealers let you get the LoJack security instead of the VIP (once the VIP security option is already listed)? Can I get LoJack from someplace other than a dealer? (The LoJack website doesn't indicate so.)
    - Is there any web resource that has safety or crash test results for the Matrix?
    - Has anyone dealt with North Hollywood Toyota? I'm not in the Valley but their website indicates a 0% financing special on new cars.
  • Options
    I like that site, though some of the people on there reviewing are a bit wacko. Good to combine people reviews with professional.
  • Options
    I've used my rear window washer fluid and in just runs down in a straight line, no sprayer.

On a side note I forgot to mention I went up north last weekend and man the high beams are amazing!!!!!!! I've never sean high beams light up a road so well, Great job Toyota!!!!!
  • Options
    rickg7462rickg7462 Member Posts: 3
    My rear window sprayer shoots out in a fan pattern. I was actually worried the first time I saw it because I was expecting a straight line.
  • Options
    The AC outlet seems like a great convenience. How long can you use it before you wear down the battery? Would there be a warning signal? Is it different when the car is running vs with the engine off? I have no experience with this, thanks.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Check out this new discussion: Matrix & Vibe Enthusiasts - Compare Notes. For future reference, you'll also find a direct link to this discussion in the Helpful Links on the left side of the page.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • Options
    vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    The local dealer (Irvine) said they (XRS's) are getting some in April. When I inquire, I'm told "they're still in production" meanwhile there are people around the country posting on this site who are driving them. When I say that, some of the staffers express genuine surprise at the info, so I wonder just who at the dealership gets the real scoop from company. I got the "brochure" on the Matrix from Toyota, ordered it on their website. It's kinda chintzy, not even a real brochure, just 2-3 pages of newspaper, like an insert you get in the Sunday paper. The info on the website is much more useful.
  • Options
    Yes, the rear sprayer shoots out a wide stream of spray. On a good note, you can spray lots of fluid and the wiper doesn't automatically start up. This allows the glass to get more fluid on it before you start up the wiper.

As for the headlights, yes I noticed the high beams are very effective! I also noticed that the Matrix has 2 lights on each side 1 engages in low beam and both for high beam. The Vibe only has one light on each side for both high/low. I would have thought they would be the same.
  • Options
    o.k Tup I can't figure out the sprayer. Mine just comes straight down. I know you can get it to come out by turning towards you and away. I haven't really paid attention to the difference I think one will go with no wiper and the other way with wiper but I still don't get why yours has a wide spray and mine doesn't. I'll have to look closer next time I use it.
  • Options
    Have you noticed the lack of advertising for the Matrix in the newspapers by the individual Toyota dealers? For most cars there is a huge picture of it and the price. I haven't seen one for the Matrix. I've seen a TV ad. I guess it's just word of mouth and reviews in magazines & online. I wonder if this means I can get them to drop the dealer advertising charges in the price of the car?
  • Options
    Here are two conflicting reports regarding the number of prongs in the AC outlet. I didn't check when I saw it in person. Maybe one review was of a prototype or something.

“3-pin [AC] outlet”

http://autonet.ca/wow/stories.cfm?storyID=3913

“a fully-functional, two-prong 115-volt power outlet is standard on XR and XRS”

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4435&sid=181&n=157

Did anyone check? If it's 2-pronged, I wonder if it would hurt to use the adapter for 3-pronged appliances.
  • Options
    I was talking to the owner of my local dealership the other night re the lack of advertising locally on the Matrix(who was being very honest as he is my brother-in-law!) and he said he will not put a cent into advertising a car he cannot get! He claims Toyota really screwed up in not doing any inventory...he has all Matrixes sold he can get up to August except for 1 blk auto xr in stock and he is pretty sure that is gone too. He is a realatively small dealership and he is only allotted 1 matrix per month. That is a slap in the face to him...he sells more than 12 Corollas a month every month...why 1 Matrix. People want these cars but he can't get them. He and the other dealers in the area are quite upset that they released this car with no inventory! He doesn't know what happened but he feels that Toyota really dropped the ball on this one. Normally they have more than enough to sell...He is loosing customers everyday because and I don't blame them...people do not want to wait! They can go to the Mazda dealer and get any color and option pckg they want on a protege5 for similiar money and options...

My XR is slated for delivery in June but I hear now that they are behind schedule at the factory and I could be waiting a while longer than this...I am very patient and have a good car now but I know many others that will not wait.
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I've been out of town all weekend and just got back. If you don't mind driving a bit, there are a bunch of car dealers in So. Cal. (well, sort of So. Cal.) that will let you test drive on the freeway. They are located in Bakersfield (as I said, a little drive, and that drive over the Grapevine is really pretty). There are a bunch of dealers on the southern end of town (White Lane exit from the 99), and they all use the 99 for test drives.
  • Options
    Dealer called last Friday to inform me that our XR 4WD has a completion date of April 19, 2002. Delivery would be approx. 7 days later.

On the subject of availability... Toyota plans to produce 75,000 Matrixes yearly for sale in North America. There are 1,420 Toyota dealers in the US and Canada. Based on this information, here is the breakdown... each dealer could receive 52.82 vehicles per year which translates to 4.4 vehicles per month. Some, in high volume areas will receive more while others will receive less. I am sure you get the message. It's easy to see why advertising may not be necessary for some time. Price negotiating will be minimal and wait times will be long (as long as the Matrix remains high in demand). Price increases are also a possibility in the fall. Just my perspective.
  • Options
    rpgropperpgroppe Member Posts: 24
    I wonder what Toyota thought the demand for the Matrix would be?

It's a fairly well established marketing strategy for some new products to be kept in artificially low supply. The resultant "buzz" over the shortage creates higher demand than there would be otherwise, and therefor higher profits over the long term.

It happens in everything from ultra high end luxury cars to fashion.

Of course, it's possible that Toyota simply underestimated demand. =))
  • Options
    dogtrainerdogtrainer Member Posts: 96
    Seems like the higher volume dealers have plenty and are even discounting them a little below MSRP in the DC/MD area.