Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    It's a two prong outlet. Not sure I'd hook a 3-prong adapter, as most 3 prong devices are usually a "higher powered" device, which may overwhelm the 1amp ability of the outlet on the Matrix.
    That's good. For a while the only place going under MSRP in the DC area was Carmax, and that was only $500.

I haven't been checking around lately as I've locked into my Costco price.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    At this time Toyota can only produce 75,000 yearly. Even if the demand was for 150,000, Toyota could not meet the requirements. The only way production can be increased would be to either expand existing plants or build a new one.

It looks like Toyota's strategy is to offer many different vehicles that fall within a certain category using the few, existing platforms. This will keep manufacturing costs low while offering a variety of vehicles. Better off building too few than too many.

The demand for the Matrix will eventually decline. If it doesn't, Toyota probably has plans to expand or build a new, similar type of vehicle only larger or both.
  • edchenedchen Member Posts: 31
    It's is a three prong outlet with a non-functional ground I believe.
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    THIS MAY BE A STUPID QUESTION, BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH THE MATRIX CAN TOW, IF ANY? I'M SURE IT WON'T BE MUCH BUT AM CURIOUS. THANKS!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    They are still going for like $500 under MSRP. Right now, they have 2 XRS 6-speeds in stock if anyone's interested.
    The Matrix can tow 1,500lbs. Please don't shout. It hurts my ear drums.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Can someone here can respond to blyndgesser1's question (post 3) in our new Matrix & Vibe Enthusiasts discussion? Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • zukhovzukhov Member Posts: 34
    Not sure what the current situation is at the Cambridge Ontartio plant is. Maybe there is an opportunity to add another shift.
  • tuttaviatuttavia Member Posts: 7
    The lack of supply, especially in certain areas, could be a planned strategy to keep prices high (as pointed out above). But if it was a miscalculation then there may be a behemoth-like corporate recoil in reaction to that realization. Then they may begin to overproduce. Finally they will have to sell the cars for the prices that were to have made this car so appealing to many. Of course, by then it will be time for the 2004 model which may have some improvements.
    But, I need a car soon. (I have to avoid trips to Bakersfield -- good suggestion mtngal -- and save wear and tear on my current vehicle for work until I make my purchase.)
  • bgcrewbgcrew Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone tell me or share with me the costs of the navigation service? I am aware of the cost as an option to install it in a Matrix XRS but what are the operating costs? Would it be smarter to purchase an after market navigation system for this vehicle?
  • luckyeightluckyeight Member Posts: 9
    SO FAR I'VE SEEN ABOUT 9 MATRIX ON THE ROAD NOW HERE IN L.A. AREA SINCE I"VE PURCHASED THE MATRIX
    3 WEEKS AGO. THEY ARE MOSTLY WHITE AND BLACK COLOR. OTHER LOCAL DEALERS HAVE THE RED COLOR IN STOCK WITH NO COSMIC BLUE, ONE SAND PEARL AND ONE LUNAR MIST IN STOCK MOSTLY XR SERIES. ANYONE HERE SATISFIED WITH THE XRS SO FAR. GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK OVERALL TIA, AS FAR SHIFTING GEAR AND PERFORMANCE WITH THE XRS. THINKING OF EXCHANGING MINE FOR AN XRS IN COSMIC BLUE THROUGH COSTCO.
  • limpyboylimpyboy Member Posts: 26
    OK, so I'm deciding between Matrix and Protege5. Test drove 2wd and 4wd XRs Tuesday.

I could not shake the feeling that: The driver's seat isn't very supportive laterally (not much bolstering), the bottom cushion is too short to support thighs very well and the upright "tall" position is rather awkward.

Did anyone else have this reaction and have you gotten over it as you logged more miles? The seats seem strikingly similar to the 1997 RAV4 I owned.

Everyone's comments appreciated.

The good news is that I found a dealer/salesman who A) didn't want to accompany me on the test drive and B) Actually ENCOURAGED me to take it on the freeway.
  • echowranglerechowrangler Member Posts: 23
    The XRS is out there - in fact, the only one the Toyota dealer had on the lot when I first went to look at a Matrix about a month ago was the 6-speed XRS (took delivery of my XR about 2 weeks ago).

Here in Honolulu, advertising is everywhere - full page Matrix ad in yesterday's paper, and big billboard type ads on the walls in two parking garages I was in today.

The 110v socket is a two-prong device. Three wouldn't make any sense, can't *really* ground anything in a car - rubber tires are all that touches ground.
    I ordered one for my Matrix, and actually it's the only reason I settled on the Matrix, as I want a nav system in my next vehicle.

Once you buy the system/option, it's yours. No monthly fee or such. The only thing you really have to worry about is the map disc upgrades, but if they don't really change the roads in your area then you don't need to get it. My parents nav system is 2 yrs old, and they haven't had the need to upgrade it yet.

I would NOT go aftermarket. They are much more expensive, don't have the same 3 year warranty, and where are you going to put the screen?

Stick with the $1890 option (XR) or the $1600 option (XRS)

I have played with the nav system in the Matrix for a while, so if you have any further questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    For the info. on towing. I'll try to tone down my voice!
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    Saw one on way into work today. Shock! I would have asked him where he got given 1/2 a chance. Have seen 2 others (XR's) on the road. This thing about inventory and keeping consumer demand high vs. simple miscalculation...very interesting, could be a happy accident from corporation pt of view? In the meantime, I have the opportunity to look at other mfg. & drive other cars, namely the Subaru WRX wagon, which in truth blows the Matrix away in terms of handling & safely features.
  • raven18raven18 Member Posts: 33
    After reading the message board, I went to the costco.com website. They say that the matrix is not currently being offered through the program? Anyone who has used costco have any helpful info, please let me know.
    Scot31-well the reason for thinking of going after market is because I was never a fan of the factory stereos in general. Especially the cd-changers, I like to do a complete shuffle option (listen to random songs from various cds) and not just random songs from one disc. I have found that factory stereos do not give a complete cd magazine shuffle option. After market pieces do. thus thinking about purchasing an after market nav system from Alpine (with a flip screen) and a CD-changer that has can produce random songs from various cd's as well as preform all functions of factory stereo. I do a lot of driving and road tripping and like many options on sound (not interested in XM Radio) Thoughts? Comments? Feelings?
  • fern88fern88 Member Posts: 42
    I've not followed the after market stereos for a while now but are they starting to come out with MP3 file support too? Also, how much is the Alpine Nav?
  • drunkpenguindrunkpenguin Member Posts: 9
    A friggin' rock just took out a huge chunk of glass from my front windshield this morning on my brand new XR!! God I hate Californian highways! There's always crap on the road hitting my windshield. Sorry for going off topic...I just needed to vent...

BTW, for people on this board who do own a Matrix, are you guys getting sick of people making references to your car in relation to the movie? Maybe it's just me...

Typical conversation:
    "Hey I just bought a new car!"
    "REALLY?! Whatcha get?"
    "I bought a Toyota Matrix!"
    "A Matrix...? Like the movie?"
    " *sigh*...Yes...like the damn movie..."
    "Lemme guess, you can't describe what 'the matrix' is, you have to show me!"
    Should be nominated in all categories... and win the oscar for the best overall vehicle.
    Fern88-alpine nav sys is 2Gs I believe. here are some links that i have found for it

http://www.alpine1.com/html/inside.html

I have found it does not play any dvds so I have to do more reserch in the area. updates cost $300 annually.

Fern88-alpine nav sys is 2Gs I believe. here are some links that i have found for it

http://www.alpine1.com/html/inside.html

I have found it does not play any dvds so I have to do more reserch in the area. updates cost $300 annually.

• oogumoogum Member Posts: 7
    Sorry to hear about that, drunkpengiun. That's pretty awful luck.
    Is it cheaper to purchase vehicles on-line or is it worth the hassle to purchase through dealership?
  • dogtrainerdogtrainer Member Posts: 96
    Please release your shift lock key. Typing in all caps is the internet equivalent of shouting. Thanks.
  • dogtrainerdogtrainer Member Posts: 96
    I live in a semi-rural area, where most of my driving is either at ~ 40 mph or 55 - 60 mph. Just checked my mpg today and I'm getting 29.4. Not bad for an engine with < 700 miles on it!
  • xr_matrixxr_matrix Member Posts: 96
    That is pretty good mileage...especially with the automatic! Are you still pretty happy with the vehicle overall?
  • echowranglerechowrangler Member Posts: 23
    25.3. XR auto. Mostly 25-40 around town, lots of stop & go, a couple of 60+ freeway dashes for 10 miles or so. A/C on about 50%.
  • tuttaviatuttavia Member Posts: 7
    Lucky eight, why do you want to trade in the xr? I thought you liked it. Also, is CostCo the best deal you've found?
  • inkiinki Member Posts: 15
    Just got my Indigo Ink Matrix yesterday!!!

Here's my first stupid question: There's a small red light on the audio console that starts flashing when I turn the engine off. I've got the base model matrix which to my knowledge does not come equipped with any kind of alarm system, so what is this light?
  • just_some_guyjust_some_guy Member Posts: 52
    Many stereos have a theft deterant system that only allows them to be used in one particular car (theoretically). That light is probably there to let the theif know that he can't use your stereo. It doesn't protcet your car, just your radio. This is my guess. I know that my mom's van has a radio like this. Her's has a code that's entered using the preset buttons that reactivates the radio if it's disabled. The radio automatically disables itself if it ever loses power. We only used that once when the battery was replaced.
  • inkiinki Member Posts: 15
    It does look like some sort of anti-theft device. Didn't see anything in the owner's manual but there's probably another manual somewhere just for the CD player.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    I counted 32 Matrix at 4 West Boston Dealership web sites. Some might have moved today, but most stores closed early despite the month end. Here's the run down.

Toyota of Watertown - 8 cars total.
    4 XR's 2 Cosmic Blue, 1 Indigo, 1 Black. 2 are 4WD Auto, 2 FWD Manual.
    4 Base units.

Clair Toyota in Dedham, MA has 5 listed. 3 Lunar Mist, 1 Black, 1 Cosmic Blue. Likely 2 are XRs from pricing, but hard to tell.

Boch Toyota in Norwood MA ( 4 miles from Clair) has 14 Matrix cars, 3 XRs and 11 base units. XR's are 2 cosmic blue and 1 blk. Base units mostly lunar mists. All are listed with automatic.

Bernardi in Framingham has 5 including 1 XRS in Lunar Mist.

I don't think the Matrix is moving very fast here. Boch inventory has been about the same for the last few weeks. Same at Clair.
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    Footie, you maybe right that supply is getting better every day, and more people buying at MSRP without any problem. Even the thread here is not as busy as it used to be.

We always have a good feeling knowing that the car we like is the most wanted in the market. Consequence though is we are at the mercy of the dealers and have to deal with the salespeople that still uses the phrases &#147;ah, the color you want is hard to find&#148;, &#147;we are getting only one of XRS this month&#148; and so forth and so on.

It is early to call if the demand and supply for the Matrix will reach that of the Honda Odyssey.

While buyers are getting more informed everyday, the dealers still take advantage of our excitement every time we fall in love with a particular car (and rightly so we should be excited!).

More Matrix in the market, better research (like joining this thread) that will result to a lesser reliance on the salesman, little patience, will result to an easy buying for all of us of the Matrix model, color and price we want.
  • phankanephankane Member Posts: 57
    The referrenced dealer will contact you, you specify the options and wait for their response. Once you found the one matched or nearly matched your request, you buy. Simple as that.

I agreed on XR, sport package, cruise, mat for 18,000. I have to pay $400 for processing fee. It is not as good as someone up here got it, but other dealer gave me far worse quotes (19,500).

I hate to deal with ignorance sales people every where. It is very unfortunate that I know more about car than they do.:-((
  • TupTup Member Posts: 200
    We decided to take the Matrix on a family trip this past weekend. I was very pleased with the comfort, ride and space in the Matrix. Having the shifter where it is allows for more usable room up front. The power was fine although on a few steep climbs I noticed some trouble maintaining speed while in 5'th. The 3 yr old in the back seemed to like it. All those storage spaces help out as well. I did notice that young guys driving slightly modified civics/acuras etc didn't like me passing them.

As for gas mileage, for the whole trip we averaged 36 MPG(imperial...around 30mpgUS) With most of that being done on divided highway at 125-135KMh. We also spent quite some time in city traffic barely moving so considering we didn't spend any time at the optimal gas mileage range (80-85KMh) and that the car only has 2500Km's on it I guess that's ok. My wife expected better. We'll continue to monitor the mileage.
    Does anyone here have some feedback to offer matrixorvibe (post 6) in our Matrix & Vibe Enthusiasts discussion? Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Is there any money to be saved or better deals to be made from purchasing a car online as opposed to buying from dealership? Could I buy from a web company like autobytel.com for example and have it delivered to my house or something? I'm just tyring to find the best way to get the most out of a matrix for the money.
  • phankanephankane Member Posts: 57
    Autobytel or any other company will send your request to a dealer close to you. You have to deal with the dealer, paying state tax as usual.(Online !!:-(). From my experience, it is better than going to car dealers and talk to some clueless salesmen.

You have to go to the dealer for final paper work/money transaction.

You can give them another address so you can deal with some far away dealer, you may get a better deal.
  • erisynneerisynne Member Posts: 2
    Hi Scott,

I live in Baltimore, MD. I used to be a member of Costco but now am a member of BJ's. I'm looking to buy a well-equipped XR. Can you tell me more about what you did to get that price from Costco? BJ's does not list the Matrix as a model choice. If you could email me at tekkie@mac.com that would be *great*... Thanks!! - Amy
  • exsentraexsentra Member Posts: 1
    Hello Folks:

I am getting my new silver XRS tomorrow! I am geeked!!! I ordered it 10 days ago and the dealer located one last Friday!

My new XRS:
    - 6 spd
    - Sunroof
    - side bags
    - all weather
    - premium audio
    - cargo / floor mats

got the car for 500.00 over invoice ($19,230.00) and they gave me what my my trade was worth if i were to sell it outright. i got this price from King's Toyota in Cincinnati, Ohio via their internet sales manager.

Can't Wait!!!
  • hunter_20hunter_20 Member Posts: 9
    Just bought a :
    XR 5 Speed
    Lunar Mist Metallic

AL 17" Aluminum Wheels
    CK All Weather Guard Package
    AB Anti-Lock Braking System
    CL Cruise Control
    EJ Premium In-Dash 6-CD Changer
    SP Sport Plus Package
    CF Carpet Floor Mats
    EF Rear Bumper Protector
    C1 Cargo Mat

MSRP $18,545
    Invoice $16.909
    Paid $17,366

I'm very excited....i've been reading this town hall board, the p5, the elantra, the saab....

My descision came down to: i liked the looks of the car more than the p5 and elantra....didn't like the repair or reliability of the saab 9-3, thought the comforts and ride of the matrix was slightly more to my liking....and got a great deal.

the sales manager told me and the saleman, that he needed to sell 1 more car to make his month. Toyota's month ended on 4/1. i told him that i didn't want the 17in wheels and that i wanted him to match another dealerships price of $500 under MSRP.....he balked, this was at 8:15. My wife, our sleeping 1 year old, and i left....told him we were going to the mazda dealership. (Found out later that he knew the sales manager there) Drove the p5, came back and told him we were buying that car. thats when he offered the 17366 price. i checked with the wife and presto...new car.

thanks to all for keeping this board so informative.

now, where do i buy the wheel locks to keep my new tires and rims?!!?!
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Saw a guy in a white Matrix yesterday with mags, fart pipes, an after market spoiler on the roof and heavily tinted windows. It looked terrible. Why do people ruin cars like this? I couldn't believe it.
    and thanks for sharing the details.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
  • joee1joee1 Member Posts: 16
    Are any of the current owners concerned about "door dings" or "side dents" in their new Matrix.

I really like the design, but would hate to come out to the parking lot and find dings and dents in my new car.
  • zukhovzukhov Member Posts: 34
    Exsenta/Hunter. You guys sure are lucky. Ordered a cosmic blue XR on Feb 14 and they tell me an August delivery date! Many happy motoring miles to you guys...
  • oogumoogum Member Posts: 7
    I got my wheel locks from the "Service Department" of the dealership I bought my Matrix from. They had to order them, but it only took about 2 days.