Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Freelander

Comments

• rgunnrgunn Member Posts: 17
    Please trade it in ASAP. I replaced a head gasket at 80000 miles soon after that, I noticed some of the same symptoms it had before. I knew it was going to need a new motor eventually, but I didnt think it would start acting up that soon after the repair.I just gave mine back to the finance comp. My credit is screwed. Trade it in as soon as possible. I would hate to see you go though what I went through.
  • sswvsswv Member Posts: 1
    My mom bought a Freelander in 2004 and the engine just blew this past Friday. She has kept up with scheduled maintenance and dealt with all the electrical annoyances such as power windows breaking down. And now the cost of a new engine will be $10,000. Landrover has no integrity if they do not issue a recall on these engines for these owners...they probably saw this coming and that is why they stopped putting this model out on the market.
  • fferikfferik Member Posts: 3
    Well my LRFL is 04 with about 70+k miles. Alot highway.What I have found is the oil that these engines take which is 0w40 or 5w40 breaks down fairly quickly. Not to be a Dick as someone puts it, but I am almost sure that when you folks take your cars to the local lube shop I almost bet that they put the conventional 5w30 in place instead, which is going to F up the internals. I know as most people they take the cheap way out. I know when I do my own oil change with the 5w40 or 0w40 it cost me about 7.99 per qt which these vehicles take 5.5 qts along with $16.99 Air filter an a 8.99 oil filter. So please don't be so be so judgmental when most of the time these problems are operator error. The Gutman guy seems to be going for a pipe dream, The first lawyer stopped because they knew there was no case. Once LR inspects your vehicles they will know what you did to it and how you treated it. SO be careful before you drop any money into this case. If you guys feel the need to get rid of yours go for it, but don't try to make money off of a neglected maintenanced vehicle.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    I think the people at the Land Rover dealerships disagree with your assessment.

267 Freelanders are listed for sale within 500 miles of where I live.. Not one of them is offered for sale by a Land Rover dealership.

Actions speak louder than words, and I think that speaks volumes. Even the Land Rover dealers know better than to own a Freelander.

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's an interesting metric. Of 71 Freelanders for sale within 500 miles of Boise, 5 were at Land Rover dealers. A couple were CPO cars.
    I paid around a hundred dollars for my oil changes. Most quick lube places will not do LR. I am sure if that were the problem I wouldnt of been in the mess I am in with this POS.
  • cyd68cyd68 Member Posts: 9
    I paid $80-100 for each oil change and made sure they used synthetic oil. Quick lube places don't have the filters & they will not do the oil change. Im also in a huge mess, I replaced the engine, the rotors, twice on the same side. Fuel pump has been replaced. We have all had the same problems, that is not a coincidence. LRNA, is well aware of all of the problems and that this car should've never been made available to the public. The Freelander is not a safe vehicle, it dies in the middle of the highway, you have no brakes, no steering control, no lights. this car has ruined my credit. It sat at the LR dealership for 10 months waiting for a rebuilt engine. During that time LR tried to sell me a honda, element. they were only willing to give me low kelly blue book for the car & add on $7000 to the loan to pay for the engine. I was screwed no matter what decision I made. Im turning the car into the bank this week. It will be a load off my shoulders, but a POS that I still have to pay for.
  • unbelievable1unbelievable1 Member Posts: 13
    This is for fferik. I don't know which makes me angrier, your comments or LR. If you would read what others have been saying you would realize that this is not neglect by the owners but neglect from LR. If you would call LRNA you would find that they know that they have a problem but they aren't willing to do anything about it. After reading this forum for a couple of months now and looking back over all the similar problems that these cars have had for several years, I don't believe for a second that this has anything to do with an oil change. Apparently, your Freelander hasn't had this overheating problem yet, but you can bet that it will eventually. When it does, there are not any engines to replace it with and you are just out of luck. I don't think an oil change will take care of that for you. My LR had 85,000 miles on it when it sat at the dealer for 9 months with all the guts from under the hood in the passenger compartment. (that's how LR treats your vehicle when they don't care) So I guess you only have about 10 to 15,000 miles left before you have to eat your words.

I fortunately don't own my LR anymore, and financially things worked out ok for me. I still read the forum because I just can't believe a company can get away with something like this. Then for someone like you to blame this whole mess on the owner is just too much. You need to realize how bad other people are hurting over LRNA's lack of involvement in this problem and maybe you wouldn't be so full of yourself with your oil comments. Mark my words, your LR will have the same problem sooner or later.
  • yellowbandityellowbandit Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading a lot of these posts today, and only wish I had read them earlier. I am the original owner of a 2003 Freelander and was told that I need a new engine today by the same Land Rover dealership who sold me this "vehicle." Please understand that this "vehicle" has been well cared for, all services were done as scheduled, and at 61,000 miles the cylinder sleeves are moving which damaged the head gasket and makes the service engine light come on....three times in the past two weeks. Oh, and that is right after I had almost $3,500 in engine repairs done less than 2,000 miles ago (intake manifold and timing belts). If anyone knows about a class action law suit or any other legal channel please let me know. I reside in Florida and just don't know what else to do, but the problems I am having, as well as others in this website, seem to be the result of an engineering problem and not because of poor maintenance. Oh, sorry that I almost forgot to mention that I had the brakes done three times, had two window regulators go out, two spare tire racks broke, the rook leaks by the interior light , and had several electrical problems, too. Funny how I actually equated Land Rover with quality, as most would with Mercedes or Porsche. I have owned over thirty cars, and must say that this thing is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned or heard of!
  • shamfamshamfam Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2005 Freelander and have nothing but problems with it. Two weeks after I bought it, it just stopped in the middle of the road, they said it was engine related. There have been numerous things that have gone wrong with the car. New Intake Manifold, new moon roof, new visor because the light stayed on and burnt its way through the plastic causing my battery to drain, passenger side window calapsed, ticking noise when I drive. Coolant constantly leaking, new resevoir....too many to go on. It has been in the shop more than 10 times. We were told that we need a new engine at 52.000 miles. Since it was over warranty we have to pay however, the problem was a continuous problem. They just never found the reason for the ticking. We asked for our money back and are waiting for an answer. If this doesn't work, we plan to continue on with an attorney to have it declared a lemon. You said that financially things worked out for you, how so? A little light in the dreaded Land Rover Black hole!
    Yes, things did work out for us. I wrote about it in an earlier post. I almost hate to say too much about it because I realize we were so very lucky with it in the end. I know others may not be so lucky and that makes me sick. We bought our 03 Freelander from Carmax in 04 and bought their extended warranty (Max Care). When we had trouble with the vehicle we took it to Carmax (that's what the warranty required) and they would always have to take it to Landrover . It then sat at LR for 9 months waiting on the motor. Max Care was to cover the cost of it but their aren't any motors to be had so finally after we found our car sitting on the LR lot unlocked with the entire guts from under to hood sitting inside the passenger compartment we took pictures and went to Carmax and said enough is enough. Carmax also disagreed with the way our vehicle had been treated and also realized that they too were being lied to by LR and the ball started rolling. Carmax then decided to use the warranty money allotted for the motor and they paid the rest of our loan and bought it back from us. Carmax was then going to sell it wholesale for scrap. During the 9 months, Carmax had been giving us loaner cars to use (since we had the warranty), so they were out a car for all that time too. A representative from Carmax called me everyday for 9 months letting me know the statis of my car. They also called LR everyday to check with them on the statis of a motor showing up. Carmax bought our car back and then reimbursed us the 9 months of payments if we decided to buy another car from them some day. Buying our car back was not contingent on us buying from them again though, just an extra bonus and they wanted to earn their good name back. They really didn't need to earn their name back though since we realized where the problem came from. After a few weeks we did buy a car from Carmax again and you can bet we bought the Max Care warranty. We used to not buy extended warranties.
    I don't know if this helps you or not. I hope something will. You might check with Carmax about buying your LR. I have know idea what they would give you for it but they do buy cars from people. When you are ready to buy another car, Carmax obviously really took care of us whereas LRNA didn't offer or do anything to help.

Good luck!
    There are alot of great deals out there form starving car dealerships. If at all possible I would get rid of it asap. Even if you go upside down on the loan it would be better than the finacial headache that Landrover causes. I wish you the best of luck. Sorry I meant to send message to 2003 owner. But you get my point
  • kimc13kimc13 Member Posts: 5
    I have to say that I feel bad for everyone that still owns one. I am so glad to finally be rid of mine. I bought a new CUV on 2Jan and got $1200 for my 2002 Freelander that only had 86232 miles on it! Needless to say I still owed $6819 on it! It sucked but I would have paid anything to get rid of it! If they told me they would only give me $1 I still would have said. I am just so happy to be rid of it! I am writing my last post in here and wish all of you the best of luck! :)
  • KrystiliaKrystilia Member Posts: 5
    OMG... I just found this forum and read through the posts since November. I have a 2005 Freelander SE with 34,000 miles on it. I haven't really had alot of problems with it so far (2 transmission issues, speakers, door handle). I am still under warranty (or think I am). I was just notified by my brother who visited for Christmas that I'm low on coolant. Is this the problem with the head gasket everyone is talking about. Does this engine failure issue apply to the 2005s?

Thanks for any info.
  • dbfinlaydbfinlay Member Posts: 13
    Krystilia, The engine issue applies to all year Freelander engines. Yours may not have gone bad yet however. Coolant can go low just over normal use ..... or the Freelander coolant reservoir may have cracked. They were known for that too ... mine did. The warranty is 4 years from date of sale or 50,000 miles. If you're under warranty, bring it in fast...... No matter what however, get rid of it. They ought to give you a heck of a good trade for an LR2 if they still have any. That car is all Volvo underneath and is very well made.

If you trade it anywhere else you're going to get nothing, but you still need to do it.
    Any idea what folks are getting for these on Trade-In at say someplace like CarMax? What is everyone else buying these days? I would like to stay with a small SUV but know next to nothing about cars.

I was just contacted by Land Rover to confirm that I am still under warranty until Aug. 22, 2009 or 50,000 miles (currently at 34,000).
  • 04freelander04freelander Member Posts: 5
    I traded in my 2004 Freelander HSE (36,000 mi) in November on a Toyota Tacoma. After a lot of bargaining, I was able to get $10,000 out of my dealer. I guess Freelanders are getting to be difficult for dealers to sell because everyone knows about the problems they have.

FYI...mine was still under warranty as well. My decision to sell it was based on the fact that I had to travel 50 miles each way to my dealer, a total of 18 times in 3.5 years. In total, I think they had it about 6 weeks. Also due to the fact that parts, especially engines, are getting difficult to find. A warranty does you no good if there are no engines to replace yours with! I decided to take the hit on the trade in and be a little upside down, rather than take my chances on engine failure.

For what it's worth, I know several people that have CRV's from several different years and LOVE them. My mom has almost 200,000 miles on hers with no significant problems.

Good luck.
  • dbfinlaydbfinlay Member Posts: 13
    Right now is a great time to get out of your Freelander, even if it is broken. Provided you can be approved for a standard car loan, you can trade your Freelander without being "upside-down" (owing more money than the new car is worth).

Car dealers are in such tough times they will sell a car on the lot listing at $25,000 for say .... $15,000. Because they will take $15,000 on a $25,000 car, they will write the paperwork differently. They will sell you the car for $25,000, and give you a $10,000 trade-in for your worthless Freelander.

They still get thier $15,000 (the difference), and your loan paperwork goes through the bank fine because the new vehicle carrys the book value of the $25,000 loan you now owe.

Car dealers have always done this to some extent to make trades look better. Insulting the customer's previous car can cause them to loose the sale.

FYI There is nothing illegal about it. Not even regarding tax. Sales tax is always on the cash part of the sale, which in this example is $15,000 no matter which way they write the paperwork.

Good Luck,

Dave
    04 - I assume you mean the Honda CRV... very interesting as I just got an e-mail from my brother saying he could get me one at cost. I guess I've been pretty lucky, My Freelander has only been in for warranty service 2 times in the 4 years I've owned it. Overall, it's been a great car with very minor issues. I'm just worried about the whole engine thing. I spoke with Land Rover yesterday and they said they do have an outsourcer who replaces the engines, so it is possible to replace them... I just have no idea at what cost out of warranty. My Freelander is paid off which is why I'm hesitant to sell it and go back to monthly payments on another vehicle. Kelly Blue Book puts trade-in value at around 8,000, Autotrader.com has them running around 12,000. What to do, what to do....
    If you read back over the last 1400 posts, I think the proper decision will become much clearer..

Even if you got $10K for it, and bought another $10K car...

My wife really liked the Freelander.. I'm very glad that we never bought one..

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hey, don't believe Land Rover when they tell you that they have an outsourcer who replaces the engines. Mine sat at Land Rover for 9 months waiting. It never got one. There aren't any engines. LRNA knows that. Don't get stuck with a broken down car, sell it immediately.
  • FreeFallRoverFreeFallRover Member Posts: 1
    Wow, wish I had read this a year and a half ago! That's when we thought our problems were starting. Since we bought our new 2003 LRFL we have replaced the brakes at least once every year. We followed that up with new headlights about every 1.5 years. Replaced the sunroof motor. Replaced the taillight assemblies. And then we started to experience an overheating engine. Keep in mind that we have always taken our vehicle to the LR dealership that we bought it from here in Vancouver, Canada. Since day one! After about 18 months of overheating engines, and many trips to the repair shop, the engine finally gave out and we had to replace it. It was out of warranty and so we were on the hook for the price. I was fuming mad and demanded that LR take responsibility for the problem they seemed unable to diagnose or fix. The dealer "reluctantly" agreed to cover the cost of the engine if we would pay the labour. Unhappy, but better than nothing, we paid the labour and had our engine replaced in September 2008. I thought it ironic that at the time that I went to pick up the vehicle after the engine was replaced that another LRFL owner was in getting their engine replaced. Same model year. I commented to the service rep about this and he said it was rare. After reading a few pages of this blog (about 20) and all describing the same problem, it is very clear to me that LR is not telling their "valued customers" the truth. Not once was I ever told that this epidemic was happening, nor was I told what would eventually happen to my engine. After reading this I will be in to see the dealer tomorrow and pursue getting back the $3800 labour costs we paid to replace the engine. Don't even get me started on all the brakes that I have paid for!
  • sripleysripley Member Posts: 39
    Posts related to over-heating and coolant leakage is most likely the Head Gasket Failure.

Shamfan -- you're Freelander clearly has the problem, my advice would be to look at whatever you can do to trade it in as part of a different vehicle purchase or else you end up trapped with trying to work with your lender and credit/repossession options or othe legal course.

Krystalia-- you may have the issue, my advice would be to check the oil cap on the engine, underneath the cap you should see an emsulified oil/coolant goo, it will be sticking to the cap and look like oil mixed with coolant. Otherwise, re-fill the coolant overflow cannister and observe if the coolant level drops during a week or two week period, look for ground evidence of a leak, however if it is the Head Gasket Failure, there will be no ground leakage. My coolant tube in very front of the engine broke/was brittle, which can happen over time, you would see ground leakage if was that.

Again, ALL of these vehicles will inevitably have the Head Gasket Failure happen, it is only a matter of how many miles and when. The design of the engine is the source of the problem, so any refurbished engines would bear the same defect. You are advised to get rid of the vehicle, via whatever means you have to do so. Repairing will only further drain your savings and not benefit you with a long term fix to the problem as these issues will happen again.

The other F4 Error is being widely reported also, is unrelated to the Brake Light Switch recall on this vehicle. You may want to check another Freelander Service technician or location for a 2nd opinion as this error light is not driver related and is the lesser of the failures reported in these vehicles.

Bottom line, Freelanders from 2002-2005 (2005 year was discontinued) are pieces of [non-permissible content removed] and there is no fair salvage value as now it is fully known these vehicles are complete failures. You will be lucky to get $5000-$6000 on one with no issues, and $1000-$2000 on one with the terminal failures mentioned.
  • 4wheels24wheels2 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 02' FLLR for 11,200 in feb 07' at a nissan dealership. I paid the down payment with my FEMA money after losing my car in hurricane Katrina. After 3 months problems with persistant overheating occured. Landrover and independent mechanics both advised on THERMASTAT replacement which is situateded under engine. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: Charged me $900. Overheating appeared again. Expansion tank $300. Overheatiing again. Engine suddenly died in traffic on vaca in dallas from austin. Car stuck in dallas for two months. Thankfully my nissan warrenty covered the 5,000 engine. Now after 4 months with the check engine light always on, we're broken again. The air sensor needs replacement. And thats just the begining of other "codes"wrong with it. No money. On top of all this my car was broken into for the radio 1.5 months ago. The dash is still all bashed in.
    So I'm pondering on what to do now. I owe 7,500 still. Warrenty company says I've met my max on coverage. Talk to the bank? Trade for parts? Class action? Claim bankrupsy at 29. ??????????????depressing
    Since posting my frustration with my POS Freelander, it has been sitting in a drive way of my parents house. I can't drive it at all. The dealership has been nothing but horrible to deal with, they don't return calls and when they do it's a hassle for them to help or give advice. My husband and I owe 8000, the value is probably 11000-12000 in our area and the cost of fixing the pile is about 13,000. The problem all occured before the warranty expired, they just failed locate the problem - but they sure did find other problems on the way. Anyway, my husband was talking with his brother last night about going through insurance. The cost to repair is greater then the value of the car - can't we just salvage it? I know it would suck to have no car out of it and no compensation but it's an idea. We are thinking about seeing an attorney. We've already spoken to one and he is familiar with Landrover. How sad is that?! Good luck to all!
  • kpencekpence Member Posts: 11
    Hello Everyone,
    I just thought I'd let people know of my recent events with selling my Freelander.
    I let it sit for almost a year after getting the replacement engine and loads of other repairs to it for fear of it breaking down again and not being able to afford to fix it.
    Thankfully it was paid off when the engine went out.
    I sold it to Carmax yesterday for $2,000.00. A very sad day, it ran beautifully all the way to the store and I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach but, it's done and I'm free of the nausea and worry over the whole mess. The dealer told me the industry calls them Freeloaders and acknowledged that it is common knowledge that they are lemons. We need to band together and sue Landrover. My only reservation is that I know nothing about how that sort of thing works. I did register a complaint with the gov. website suggested here on this forum but, I'm wondering where to begin to get some recuperation of $$$ for all of the repairs. Well that's my story. Just thought I'd let people know what Carmax paid for my 2002 Freelander SE with 75,000.00. They won't put it on the lot, just sell it on at auction. All in all a sad and painful experience to what I thought would be my ideal car.
    All Best, Kim
  • mechsfriendmechsfriend Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2003 landrover freelander the main issue is sometimes u turn the key and it wont start sometimes it will the dealer keeps insisting its the battery which has been replaced 4 times i have also had a new starter put in but still have same issue anyone have similar problems and any remedy?
  • mdvillarsmdvillars Member Posts: 1
    I have a beautiful deep metalic red 2004 HSE with the premium 18" wheels. Unfortunately, good looks alone does not make a car.

I found it interesting to note that the reliability ratings on MSN autos gives the Freelander a perfect score... no significant problems!!
  • thundercat1thundercat1 Member Posts: 2
    Wow, I seen quite a number of technical issues of Freelander 1, I'm just wonder do any of you facing the same problem for this new Freelander 2? Have they rectified the old problem and creating this totally new Freelander 2?
    Please help if possible..
    I didn't know a new Freelander 2 was being made.
    They (Land Rover) can't be that stupid can they?
    My advice... DON'T but it!
    The Freelander 2 is known as the LR2 in the USA..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• thundercat1thundercat1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, maybe I would look for other alternative.
    Funny thing is, I hear the LR2 is the most reliable car that Land Rover has ever built. It's essentially a Volvo with a Land Rover badge.
    I hear the LR2 is the most reliable car that Land Rover has ever built.

Faint praise, there... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

LOL...it's all relative, right? I'm sticking with my Toyota...
  • frankdasilvafrankdasilva Member Posts: 1
    Land Rover replaced Heater core ($1,300) to address disappearing coolant.
    Founf on the net the real problem. Car running good, but I have replaced the complete thermostat assembly, the sensor on the bottom hose of radiator and engine coolant sensor. Radiator Fans work only if i turn heater on. Replaced Wiring Harness for cooling fans but now fans still don't go on a engine heats up and I have no heat now.
    Any suggestions besides unloading the car? I 'd rather break it up into parts.
    Go ahead and sell it off as parts NOW! There is no winning with this Lemon.
    Everyone knows about them in the industry. The engine rebuilt is worth more than the whole car. Sad fact.
    Good luck to anyone who still owns one.
  • spunky2spunky2 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Land Rover Freelander with the exact same problem as everyone else..with one exception, I am now in need of a 3rd engine. I have 62,000 miles on mine - have had every maintenance done on it at LR. They also said my drive shaft is about to crack in half. My quote for the work to make my car drivable: $14,774.52 (I owe $5700 and trade in is $2800)
    So after making a big fuss I have 2 options... LR of America will give me $6000 towards my repairs or $10k towards a new LR2. ($5700 of that will go towards paying off my car)
    I can not afford a new LR2, and I have zero confidence in LR since consumers report rated the LR2, LR3, Range Rover and Range Rover sport the least realiable Suv's. That is all 4 of the vehicles that LR sells.
    I don't know what to do... I feel like I have no other option than to buy the LR2 that I don't want and can't afford. -a 48mth least would be $411.17
    Does anyone on this forum have a 2005 model? Are you experiencing the same issues as reported with the previous years?
    1) Any chance they will just give you the $6K for the car without repairing it?

If so, take it, and sell yours for parts...

2) Is the $10K off a new one off your best negotiated price? Or just off MSRP? If it's the former, take the deal and re-sell the car.. You should be able to break even, at least. If it's the latter, never mind.

3) If you can get $2800 for your car, come up with $3000 somewhere else and ditch it now... No way I would put another dime in it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ihatelandroverihatelandrover Member Posts: 7
    Stop giving them money!!! I did something similar when my 1999 Discovery II died -- I purchased a 2004 Freelander. That car died on me as well (coolant leak issue), and Land Rover totally didn't care. I ended up losing a bunch more money (about 20K on both cars combined).
    I would just sell the thing for 3K, and kick in the other 3K to pay off your loan. Then go buy yourself a Toyota, Honda or Subraru. I personally bought the Subaru Forester and it was the best thing I ever did! I'm so glad to no longer have to beg Land Rover to help me when their lousy cars fail.
    the dealership suggested I have a lawyer call LR of America, that would work better than me calling back. The dealer even said that anything less than 100% payment on this 3rd engine is unacceptable.
    I don't want another LR regardless..
    I don't give legal advice, but I'm betting Land Rover has more money for lawyers than you do.... Most customer service centers will refuse to talk to you, once you mention lawyers or a lawsuit. They will just refer you to their legal department. So, make sure you are done negotiating with them, before you go that route.

Financial advice: Do whatever you have to do to get rid of the car now... If you spend any more money on it, you might as well flush it.. The financial loss has already happened... Don't throw good money after bad.

Good luck,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yes, I have an 05. I have all the same issues. It's actually sitting in my parents driveway .....undriveable! It makes me sick! My husband and I are actually sending a package to an attorney to lemon this piece of crap!
  • jeffs05se3jeffs05se3 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Krystilia,

I'm sorry to hear about your FL.

What type do you have SE 4dr or SE3 3dr? Also, how many miles do you have and what are/were some of the prob's you have?

Thanks!

~ Jeff
  • ritadanielsritadaniels Member Posts: 15
    I guess I didn't have much of a choice. no money to pay off the upside down balance and can't continue to pay for it. Mine has sat in my driveway with busted manifold, transmission issues, and on and on and on... The only good thing is that the car's body is in excellent shape (02 Freelander) Land Rover had such an excellent reputation at one time and people bought their cars based on that reputation. Now, it is JUNK! pure d junk.... My credit is down the tubes and the house that I once wanted to own is out the door right now.... I will still owe the difference on that damn car even after the repo.... Understand, I am not at all happy about this route, but I could not keep up with it... something went wrong everytime and the warranty ran out last year.... ha ha ha ha shame on me...
    I now have an 02 freelander sitting in my driveway, that needs it's 3rd engine and also a driveshaft....
    the car has 62k miles on it, and in great condition - along with new tires. should I sell it for parts? Sell it with the exact repairs needed spelled out? and how much should I do this for?
    thanks for all the advice!
  • dmallodmallo Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 Freelander not quite two years ago. Today I found out that it suffers from the same fate as many of the others have written about. $6500 to replace the engine. Coolant leaking into the engine. I have replaced brakes and rotors twice in the two years. I have always had regular maintenance done on the vehicle which was performed by LR at $100 a pop. It has 72,000 miles on it and probably the worst part is that I still owe $12,000 on it. Wish I would have seen this forum a few weeks ago, I would have been able to get something for it as a trade in.
  • moe71moe71 Member Posts: 11
    What I don't understand is why isn't something being done about this. I have complained to everyone under the sun. I contacted the lawyer, but didn't really think he could help me. I still owe 6500...and yet my trade in value in excellent condition is only 3500. I can't believe that they haven't recalled these cars yet!
  • nomolandrovernomolandrover Member Posts: 11
    Have you complained to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration? That's where complaining counts. IF they get enough, they'll initiate an investigation. Maybe if we all start calling them as well as complaining to each other ...