Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Freelander

Comments

• retlefretlef Member Posts: 17
    I felt compelled to repost.. My 2002 Freelander
    was bought back by Landrover North America in Dec 2003 after a year of problems incuding pads/rotors!!

I had to replace the front disk brakes and rotors at 23k($650 at dealer) with no warning other than the dealer telling me the pads needed replacement.. The dealer said usually the brakes and rotors fail somewhere around 12k and that I was "a good braker" what does that mean? The pads don't even have warning sensors on them.. The rotors were shredded and could not be resurfaced. Apparently Landrover rotors on the Freelanders are made from a very thin material and cannot be resurfaced and must be replaced. I'm not real keen on brake jobs every few thousand miles. Though I agree the vehicle does stop well--but it eats rotors and pads. The new Kevlar pads none OEM part seem to be working very well with about 2k on them.

I found some after market pads which I ordered from http://www.dap-inc.com. The pads are made from Kevlar and are called Kevlar EBC's and apparently last longer than the OEM PADS. I did the brake job myself and noticed the rotors were also bad. I brought this up with Landrover and they could care less. I also recommend looking at this site http://www.formatc.org/freelander/brakes/index.htm information on how to change your own pads(it was pretty easy).

Landrover has known about this problem for several years they just don't do anything about it. It is sad!!!
  • traceroldtracerold Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into purchasing a 2004 Freelander HSE but after reading these messages I am concerned. Did Land Rover work out the 2002 problems and all is well or should I bag the Freelander and concentrate on a BMW X3?
  • ph0enixph0enix Member Posts: 1
    I have bought a new Freelander S back in June of 2003 and so far haven't had any major problems with it other than the brakes. The rotors and the pads were replaced at 8,000 miles at no charge (LR said they weren't even that bad but I complained about brake noise) so I figured that Land Rover acknowledged that there is a design flaw in the system and that they're going to replace them at no charge every time - no dice! The car has 22,000 miles now and they told me that my rotors needed to be replaced again for "only" $508. When I flipped while on the phone with them and asked them how is it that the rotors on my 97 Pathfinder last 65,000-70,000 miles and on the Freelander, they only last 10,000-12,000, they told me that it was perfectly normal for that vehicle and gave me some BS about Freelander being a full time 4x4 and said that you're constantly either pushing or pulling on the brakes while driving which makes no sense whatsoever. If you don't step on the brakes there are no forces acting on the pads or the rotors. I told them to go to hell and bought my own, high performance parts on the net (let's hope that they last longer than the cheapos LR installs by default). The Greenstuff EBC 6000 pads and the EBC Sport Brake Rotors (drilled blind) cost me $270 with tax and shipping charges. I had them put in by a local garage for another $65. The next time I might even install them myself. Other than that, the HDC warning and the TC warning lights came on a few times. I told LR about it the last time I took the truck for maintenance and I haven't seen either of the lights since. Anyone who compares the Freelander to a Ford Escape, Toyota RAV4 or Honda CR-V is thoroughly mistaken. The FL's handling off road and in the snow is truly AMAZING! It's a very fun car to drive - any car enthusiast should be able to recognize that right away. The steptronic transmission really rocks!!! I'm hearing that the BMW X3 doesn't come even close handling-wise.
    I give the FL design team 9 out of 10 (-1 for those brakes) and the FL service team about 5 out of 10.

I would highly recommend the Freelander to any sport truck and off-road enthusiast who doesn't mind replacing the brakes every 12,000 miles and who doesn't mind being treated like an idiot by the LR service staff.

I don't work for Land Rover. I just really love the FL. I'm considering a Discovery next. Perhaps then the LR staff will treat me like I'm at least half human ;)
    Speaking as a prior owner of a Freelander SE DO NOT waste your hard earned money. This vehicle has far too many problems from brakes to electrical. When my Freelander was not in the shop it drove really well. The problem was it spent most of the year I owned it at the dealership being worked on!! I got to drive Kia's,Hyundai's and low end Chevy's and Ford's instead. I would not recommend this LR to my worst enemy!!!
  • cautiousbuyecautiousbuye Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of purchasing a used 2003 Freelander S with fairly low mileage. I went through most of the posts and I would say that there were many posts which were negative and "buyer beware." Is this a "safe" car to drive? Does the lack of side air bags bother anyone? Or the poor marks it received from safety crash tests?
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Member Posts: 52
    I looking into buying a small SUV. I really like to looks of a Freelander, but have not driven one. I've driven the Escape and it seems to handle very well, and seems solid. Two questions:
    1) The quality issues posted have me very concerned with the Freelander. It seems as though most folks refer to problems with their 2002 models. Are these issues still present with the 2004's?
    2) The Freelander engine size seems kind of small compared to the Escape. I'm going to try and drive one in the next week, or two. Hopefully that'll answer that question, but feedback would be appreciated as well.
  • amp9000amp9000 Member Posts: 1
    I was hoping to get some further information on the problems with your 02 Freelander. Mine is now again at the dealership getting a new transmission.

It first broke down on my way home from vacation, when several dash lights lit up and the F 4 was flashing on the odo. It was towed to a local dealership and they claimed it was the battery and shipped it back to me. Not a week later, I was driving home from work and the drive stopped working, F 4 flashing, and I had to drive home in 4th gear. I then took it to my local dealer and it has been there about one week.

I have had no problems with brakes until 45,000 miles and the dealership seemed VERY surprised that they lasted so long. After reading all of these posts, I can see why.

I was curious as to the timing of your service calls, and if you did get a new transmission.

Thanks.
  • sadsad Member Posts: 1
    just a warning to anyone looking to buy a used 2002 freelander se.
    had 1st one less than 1 month, 600 miles. computer malfunctioned, had to flatbed it to dealer.they tried their best, getting maryland facility involved. no luck. couldn't fix it. had it approx. 30 days. after many "discussions" with landrover in maryland and procrastinations on their part, along with "legal action" threat from my lawyer, they approved a new vehicle for me. picked it up. absolutely no problems, other than front abs brake replacement at 15,000 miles until 1 week ago with another 500 miles on it. used it, came home, got back in it 1/2 hour later, started it up, put it in gear. and it would not accelerate to more than 5 mph and service light went on. called dealer, had it flatbedded to dealer. diagnosis- computer malfunction. dealer was told computers on back-order, but thru their own efforts located one. sent an employee to pick it up, put it in. picked up car yesterday, went right to another car dealership and traded it in..loved it prior to this, but no longer have any confidence in landrover. have sent complaint to them via email, if it does any good!
    SO BEWARE TO ALL YOU POTENTIAL FREELANDER BUYERS.
    worse part? was going to trade it in for a 2004 hse, as they've dressed it up nicely. i'm done with landrover..which makes me both sad and angry
  • gallovescarsgallovescars Member Posts: 1
    I'm in a dilemma, I have been looking at purchasing a small SUV that I plan to keep for a while, (at least 7-10 years) and I'm looking at the 2004 freelander HSE (4 year warranty), the 2004 liberty (4 year warranty), and the 2005 escape (7 year warranty). With all of the horror stories about the freelander, I don't want to end up with a lemon, yet I want something with some power able to go in the snow and won't cost me and arm and a leg. How does the freelander drive with the 2.5 engine vs the liberty 3.7, and the escape 3.0. I love the looks of the freelander, but the cargo room is somewhat tiny. Any advice?
  • jimm718jimm718 Member Posts: 6
    A couple of local LR dealers are selling Land Rover Re-Acquired Vehicles at a significant discount. According to the salesman, these were repurchased by LR under "lemon laws", sent to the east coast, totally repaired, and then bought by the dealers. They come with a balance of 62,000 mile/5 year warranty.

As an example, I saw a 2002 SE with 28,000 miles for $17,000.

Any thoughts? Am I just buying someone elses problems or do you think LR has really fixed them?
    Yes, one of the many items they replaced was the transmission.. Please email me at retlef@yahoo.com and I can share with you more information. Landrover did re-purchase my vehicle..
    My reccomendation is not to purchase one of these vehicles. The 02 SE Freelander that LR bought back from me is one of these vehicles. If you look at my previous post you will see all of the problems I had. Don't do it!! If you do I have some swamp land and a bridge for sale.
  • dcgdcg Member Posts: 4
    Hello!
    I recently purchased a new SE Freelander, Land Rover. Beautiful car with great off-road features. I have only had it for one week. I first started experiencing fatigue of the shoulders and wrists. I assumed it was the tight stearing or a problem with the stearing. Now, I am not so sure. As it is becoming obvious to me that the neck rest is at an uncomfortable angle and it is extremely hard to adjust the seats to a natural comfort level. Maybe it's me... Any one else suffering in there 04 Freelander? I am driving the dealership crazy. They say I am hyper-sensitive. I say the seats suck!
  • dcgdcg Member Posts: 4
    Can any one offer any info in regards to the possibility of a wheel mal alignment causing the stearing of a car to be uncomfortable or difficult. I would describe the driving / stearing as labor intensive. Any comments are greatly appreciated. The Top mechanic explained to me that the faster you go the more difficult to stear the car because the car is engineered to hug the road and thats why the stearing is so tight... ??? Any difficulties reported with the freelander stearing mechanism? Thanks...
  • slimonslimon Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2004 Free Lander on Memorial Day weekend. I was ecstatic, only to find my car was a total let down. I have had nothing but problems from day one. When leaving the lot I noticed a steering issue. The steering wheel popped and made a loud snapping sound every time I turned right. That was never fixed. A week later I found that my air conditioner spit water out profusely, again I took it in for repairs only to find a week later I still had the same issue. Later I began to notice that the mileage I was getting on my vehicle was surely diminishing. I went from getting 17 miles to the gallon to getting 10. This is outrageous mileage. Again I took it to the dealer not only to get horrible customer service with rude and hateful people, but their response to me upon pick up was " we looked it over and couldn't find anything so we don't know what to tell you" I was furious. Here recently while driving home with my daughter in th back seat, my front tire exploded. Not a blow out mind you....my tire completely exploded, into shreds on the freeway. It was horrible, scary , dangerous, and completely unexpected. When I took my vehicle into the dealer. I explained what occurred, and specifically noted that due to having to ride on the rim for a mile and a half to exit the freeway, the rim was also dented. Again their customer service department was rude, and unhelpful, and I received a call several hours later to inform me that they would not cover the damage or replace m tire becuase it was not covered under warranty. I was and am furious. The people in the customer service departmet of Landrover North Hoston are horrible, rude, and unhelpful in every sense of the term. The landrover that I thought would be the vehicle of my dreams turned out to be a disasterous mistake. I completely and totally regret having purchsed this vehicle. I am in complete consideration of trading it in now (only three months into the deal) and loosing my money....if you have any advice please share!!!
  • blazergirl1blazergirl1 Member Posts: 6
    What I would like to know, by a LandRover Tech thats so much better informed than the rest of us is :

Why are they such a Lemon, when LandRover is supposed to have such a HIGH Reputation???????

Failures on my 3 month old 04 Freelander:
    -IRD
    -Transmission
    -Rear Seat Belts
    -Rpm Intake Input Motor
    -Power Steering Rack and Pump
    -Brake Rotors Pulsating and Hopping (under 8000km)
    -Stereo Problems
    -ILL done PDI

(BTW: about $10 000 CANADIAN for retail of these parts, and others replaced)

?????????????????????????????????????????????????

I want my Freelander Bought back ... HOW DO I DO THIS??????? (Canada Info Preferred, but not demanded)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lemon law info is a lot easier to find in the States. There is an arbitration program run by the provinces and dealers that offers buy-backs as one possible result:

CAMVAP

Steve, Host
    Thanks, I have that site also. But the correct procedure is doing it by the tree in the manual. Right now we are searching for tips on how others have gotten their vehicles bought back, and also searching to see what kind of other freelander 'lemons' are out there.

LandRover Richmond (BC) swears there aren't any problems with the vehicle and that its just as reliable as any other new vehicle.

^my 84 rabbit is more reliable, and its an OLD VW!

We are fully disgusted with LandRover and feel extremely 'jipped'. Considering we feel we are getting Kia quality from a supposed landrover.

Any help is always appreciated :)

My email: canadiandaizy@excite dot com (please use freelander as subject)
  • flnsxflnsx Member Posts: 13
    We are looking to buy a 2004 HSE with 18inch wheels and fog lights.

The dealer says he will give us $3,000 off. That is the current Manufacture incentive.

What do you think I should buy the car for? Someone on another forum said $7,000 off MSRP.

What is a good price to ask?
  • flnsxflnsx Member Posts: 13
    I just looked at Edmunds and the invoice for a 2004 HSE with 18's and fog lights is $27,557.

- the $3,000 incentive and that's $24,557

If I bought it for $24,557 then the dealer would be making no money correct?

Then how could I get it for $6,000 or even 7,000 off MSRP?

That would put it below their profit pricing. They would be loosing money....is there some type of holdback I am missing?

Please someone with intelligence and knowledge answer and help me out here.
    Yep, invoice with those options, plus destination, is $27,557: link, less the $3,000 incentive is $24,557. I don't know why I'm repeating this - you have it all figured out!

Land Rovers have no holdback.

Besides the manufacturer incentive that you know of, there may be other dealer incentives that we don't know about. Dealers seem to use new car sales to generate traffic more than using new sales as the main profit center (used car sales and service are the money makers), but it's hard to believe that a dealer would sell one below their cost.

But if others are reporting better numbers, you may as well tell the dealer that and see what reaction you get.

Steve, Host
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I don't own a Freelander, however since I think they are a cool concept and interesting have followed this forum since inception...read back through the posts written here. I would really think twice or three times before buying one.

If you do get one, I am sure when it is working it will be great, just don't be surprised if it spends a lot of time in the shop and you get the run around from Land Rover. That is what has been reported throughout this forum.

In my opinion, the answer to your question: They are probably not selling due to the poor reputation. So it costs him money to hold it on his lot. To unload it at cost and then collect money on the service, plus any extras (undercoating, scotch guard, bridge) they sell you at closing and the not having the car depreciate further since 2005s are probably hitting the lot soon makes it worth his while to get rid of it at cost.
    Our family sure wishes that we had found this site prior to buying a Freelander. I searched the web before and found other forums, but none as honest as this one.

And to add to our freelander problems:
    -Tranny is reading 3 failure codes, including not shifting proper and no direct shift.
    -Pops out of Park
    -Fuel Economy went to heck

:(
    Landover finally bought my vehicle back after 60 plus cumulative days in the shop. I had electrical problems, brake problems, transmission replacement, full wiring harness replacement, ECM replacement, wiring harness in the dashboard replacement, rear seat belt replacement, window motor replacement, and a water leak in the rear hatch that you could raise gold fish in. I had to file a claim with the BBB http://complaints.bbb.org/Welcome.asp to finally make Landrover hear me. I of course had only written, emailed and spoken to Landrover twenty or thirty times prior to contacting the BBB. I even had a unique Landrover case number, which did me no good. When I returned the vehicle the 4 & F continued to blink on the odometer, the engine warning light continued to come on along with the hill decent failure light. The transmission still shifted hard on a vehicle that had very low miles on it. Throughout the entire ordeal I carried a digital video camera to prove that the vehicle had problems. Landrover has repatriated the vehicle and it sits on one of their Landrover lots ready to be sold again, to some poor consumer. I saw this with my own eyes!!! All consumers should be aware of this when looking at used Landrovers at dealerships!! Last but not least Landrover treated me as if I was a second class citizen idiot. A word to the wise,when dealing with Freelander problems with Landrover.
    1.Always carry a digital camera and take pictures
    2.Always take your vehicle in when a warning light comes on or the 4 and F blink
    3.Always report the hard shifting between 2nd and 3rd
    4.Always check the rear hatch where your jack is for water(lots of it) or rust around the lock mechanism
    5.Always report the brake wear and rotor replacement on the front disk brakes
    6.Always save all service paperwork
    7.Always report all problems to Landrover North America in writing and via email(keep all correspondence)
    8.Always be tenacious when dealing with Landrover and demand your rights
    9.Always contact http://complaints.bbb.org/Welcome.asp
  • KicKMan1KicKMan1 Member Posts: 45
    retlef:

Sorry to hear about all of the problems you faced with your Freelander. I have an '02 and recently bought an '04. Needless to say that I like them. Don't get me wrong, though; I'm aware of the problems that come along with them. You did the right thing when your vehicle doesn't operate the way in which it was intended.
  • KicKMan1KicKMan1 Member Posts: 45
    I've noticed the same thing; at the end of my commute in '04, my neck and shoulders are very tense. I think it might be the headreast angle?
    KickMan1:

Thanks..As I have said in other posts, I really liked my Freelander when it ran. I actually still own a 2002 Disco Series II SE7 which I really like. I figure I just got a Lemon but the effort I had to put forth to LR North America to prove it was a lemon was insane. They had all the facts, service reocords, pictures and moving video, yet they treated me like pond scum. That alone really concerns me.. Landrover does not stand behind it's product and it was finally a BBB complaint that got their attention even though I had tried to work with LR they just refused to listen to the customer..I hope your Freelanders remain dependable.
    So we have been dealing with LandRover Canada about this Freelander Lemon we have. during the last month its been back to hte dealer 3 times about the transmission.

LandRover Canada says no to a buyback, and still maintains the integrity of the vehicle has not been comprimised!!!!!!! How they figure that we have NO idea.

They are lacking in quality and assurance, in an age where the industry is so close and the name is SUPPOSED to say it all.
  • nolndrvrnolndrvr Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just got rid of my 02 Freelander for my 05 Liberty. My Liberty has a strong engine, and has four wheel drive that will handle in the snow. The Freelander is very costly to maintain and all of the parts are expensive because they are foreign parts. Often times I had a hard time getting parts in. The Freelander is cute, but I would never purchase another one. Don't forget the brakes on the Freelander need to be changed every 10-15k miles.
  • hannahanna Member Posts: 1
    I have a Freelander 2002, 47000+ miles, and I really do not know what to do now. I love the driving experience and I hate constant reliability issue. It is not about one system - next to everything breaks. Only the engine had no trouble yet. I have to choose now between three options: 1) Continue to suffer till my Freelander reaches 100 000 miles (dealer's warranty). 2) Exchange for a newer Freelander (Would it be better????) Maybe I just had a bad luck and 5 towing + a lot of smaller problems in 2 years is not a typical record for a Freelander? 3) Find a car, which has all the driving characteristic of Freelander, but is truly reliable. Does anything like this exist on the market? SUV, high clearance, which in the same time allows for very smooth driving, all wheel drive with traction control – car that really sticks to the road on icy, curved, steep mountain highways, good fuel economy, reasonable price–all of these things are a must for me. The optional gadgets, which I anyway love about my Freelander: heated windshield and heated seats. It is easy to handle and easy to park also on a compact car lot- also a plus. It has enough power and is roomy inside, as for my needs. If it only did not break over and over again… I was looking at Honda Element, but stiff suspension is definitely not for me. Smooth driving is as important for me as sticking to the road in the most difficult winter conditions.
    Volvo- I am still not ready for the price. I would consider it only if I was sure that it was really dependable and would last for really long time (about 300 000 miles), as I heard about my friend’s Volvo, but it was not an SUV. Moreover, what would I do with a car for 7!
  • extenderextender Member Posts: 2
    If you turn in your vehicle for problems, does LR actually give you a vehicle for the period they are working on your problem machine?
  • extenderextender Member Posts: 2
    You are definitely picky. I doubt if you can find many Japanese vehicles likable. Suggest VW Touareg. A CPO cost less than 30k. Since '04 is the first year, even CPO is still pretty new.

How much have you spent on the repairs? Sounds like nothing. Otherwise what is the reason of holding it till the warranty is over.
  • pat3967pat3967 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I bought a 2002 Freelander S today. It has 25000 miles on it, and as I was driving it home, the traction control and hill descent lights lit solid amber. The owners manual indicates system failure. I went back to the dealer, they said the battery needs to be disconnected to pull a "code" and reset a sensor. Has anyone heard of this ? I put about 80 miles on the vehicle on an overnight test drive, then after the dealer prepped it, these lights came on not 2 miles after paying for it...any input appreciated. Thanks.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I have a (03'Freelander HSE w/7000 miles) that we thought would be a great little car man was I wrong! Since we bought this car in January of 2004 we have had numerous issues and are very fed up with it. The only problem is that they are never repeat offenders they are always new issue. I will say it is a good thing we are able to get a car every time it is in the shop. Maybe that is why they have that service they know the work is on the way. I know we will get a new car even if they do not buy this one back it will just be a slower process one part at a time. We had the following work done so far:
    1. Head liner came unattached from roof. Water leaked into the car over driver side.
    2. Front windshield replaced because the auto defrost did not work.
    3. GPS system Radio replaced two times.
    They replaced it and they told us they did as much as they could do (it was a EOM issue)
    4. Speaker in both doors have been replaced
    5. Fuel pressure drop off (New fuel pump)
    6.Grinding noise when starting the car(New starter)
    7. Driver window would not work. (New motor and regulator).
    8. Replace the tool box when we bought the car it had been smashed.
    9. Car pulls to the right new alignment in Feb. 04
    after a whopping 400 miles.
    10. Fuse box cover was broken when we got the car. ( new cover) Little problem I thought. But they all add up.
    11.Replaced the door motor for the passenger side
    could not open door from inside or outside of the car.
    12 When it is cold out the back door will not open. I live where we get snow (FUN)!

As I am writing this my Hippo sits at the repair shop I was driving it the other day and when shifting down the car jolted pretty hard. The car has had it's 3000 mil maitance and regular oil changes. The dealer puts the blame on the manufacture and it goes back and forth. They offered me 15k trade in while they are selling a '02 Freelander SE for 2lk with 30k in miles. Some help the offered the same deal every Joe gets. This after they had said they would make it up to me. Landrover states they are a different type of car dealer. That is true I have own several used cars and never had these problems. The dealer is 30 miles away and each drop off is an inconvience. I see the new policy that we have 24 hours to return the loaner car after they call us when the repair is done on there time. I travel alot it makes it hard enough to balance family work and travel and now car repairs. yeah:{
    Wish I had never bought the car. The trade-in book value from Kelly is 21k now I do not know how true to date that is but I know it is not 6k less then what is offered by the dealer.
    Any Ideas?
  • hatefreeland1hatefreeland1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Freelander S that has had similar problems from electrical and transmission issues, the most recent is the Transmission Failure that I am currently experiencing. As I am driving a Ford Explorer Loaner, my car is in the shop, my 2.5 year old car is getting a new transmission, not under warranty, and they are on back-order....!!!! Who knows when I am going to be driving my luxury SUV again. I have had the Throttle Body replaced 2 times, front brakes and rotors 3 times and the hard shift upgrade 2 times. For anyone doing research on the Freelander I would not encourage purchase of this car unless you are a fan of the service department. Any advice on getting the car bought back at what I owe, not what it's worth? Help!
  • coco6coco6 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for suggestions on how to approach dealership/Land Rover North America. Recently had to be towed twice in December 04 - alternator didn't have enough power to charge battery and it died on a cold, icy night, and then towed on Christmas Day off turnpike with frozen throttle body (again).

Dealership "fixed" it, but I refuse to accept my Freelander back.

LRNA working on getting me another vehicle, not a Freelander, from dealership.

Has anyone had similar experience?
  • ice2ice2 Member Posts: 1
    Hey there was a helpful break repair walk through someone posted here and i saved it, however I had a hard drive failure so I lost it. Once again it's been 16k, so time for new breaks on my 2003 SE3. Does anyone have the break repair guide they could point me to. I am going to do it myself this time and save a few hundred. thanks
  • canadiangalcanadiangal Member Posts: 27
    Is any body here from canada? I am looking at purcahsing a new freelander( purcahse is at least 6 months away yet). Any way. I was woundering how well it starts in cold weather. Because my 96 jeep cherokee just will not start. I have checked out the competion, and the freelander is at the top of my list. And as far as I Know,escapes and hondas start well in the cold. But i am not sure how well land rovers do.

thanx

candian gal
  • stephangstephang Member Posts: 9
    Not from Canada, but close: Buffalo, NY! Right now it's -1 F outside. I have a 03 SE and never had any problem starting it in the morning (the car sits outside overnights). Also the heated windshield and seats are so great! But (it had to have a but!), beware of reliability issues with the Freelander (a quick reading through the posts can tell you the picture!). Also, you will have issues with opening the trunk door when there's ice (the window sticks to the car and won't let the door open). My windshield wipers also recently decided to stop working one at a time! Repair's easy, just need to retighten the bolt, but makes you wonder! I've been told it's due to the wieght of the snow on the windshield: first car that ever does this to me! I also noticed that most of my bolts in the trunk or inside (holding the seats for instance) show a lot of rust, probably due to the salt on the road. I just hope my seat won't fly out when I drive!

Good luck,
    Land Rover Testing 2007 Freelander (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • klasseyklassey Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Freelander SE3 has 3,800 miles on it with the following repairs to date already. I had to return to the dealership two days after I bought it (a bad omen) to have the brake light switch replaced. 3,700 miles later I noticed my fuel economy degrading and the engine would not remain on immediately after starting. I had to start the engine in neutral with my foot on the gas. The "Service Engine" and "Service Engine Soon" lights were coming on but later going off in no understandable pattern. I called the dearlership and they related that the two closest warranty repair dealers were either in Portland, OR, or the dealership where I bought it in Rocklin (near Sacramento, CA). This required my driving over 300 miles. The dealership was responsible and did the work gladley; even provided a loner car for the day. They did, however, require I replace any fuel I used in the loner, even though the repair cost me three tanks of gas (at $2.20 a gallon) and they were quite I had to drive so far. They ended up replacing a section of wiring harness leading to the throttle body. They admitted it has been a problem with the 04'. Before dropping my Landy off, I mentioned that the steering wheel was not aligned properly and felt loose. They found it had left the lot with faulty front end alignment. They realigned the front end during the same service. I also asked about the front brake pads and they recommended having the pad thickness checked at 12K and having them replaced before the rotors are ruined: they estimate at around 18K. The problems with the brakes have been an ongoing issue, as reflected in these forums. By skimping, on an expensive little car no-less, on the rear brakes (four wheel discs would have reduced the wear on the front brakes and increased braking power) and by supplying obviously thin pads and rotors, they supply the consumer with very poor engineering. It isn't too late, Land Rover, to reengineer the front brakes and perform a recall. And replace the rear drums with discs on newer models. Replacing rear drums with discs would be an engineering chore outside the scope of recalls though it'd be nice to find aftermarket kits and parts.

I actually love driving the Freelander. I test drove the CRV, RAV-4, and Liberty before buying the Landy. I don't agree with any of the other posts regarding the other vehicles. The liberty has a better track record with reliability but isn't nearly as solid feeling. The RAV-4 and CRV both felt like station wagons and DO NOT COMPARE. The CRV is underpowered and has its own set of reliability issues. The check engine light comes on and has to be reset if you simply don't close the gas cap tight enough: I'm not kidding, check the CRV forums.

My main complaints aren't about the vehicle itself. I'm not happy about the reliability problems but it drives like non of the other offerings. I complain there are no aftermarket performance engine parts, no rear disc brake kits available, no performance computer chips available, no air intake kits, no lift kits, no muffler kits and no upgraded front brake kit. And since it is a very rare vehicle, such parts will likely never be available. You'd think being so popular in Europe there'd be as many aftermarket parts as there are for the Ford Focus. I also think if a rack is sold with the vehicle it should be usable without having to buy additional cross bars; a real pain just to mount a bike rack on the roof.

All in all, I'm not totally disatisfied with my 04'.
  • freeleefreelee Member Posts: 1
    I bought a brand new Freelander 2002,Friday August 2,2002 for my wedding anniversary for my wife, I drove it home and I feel some mist coming out from the air vent(air conditioner is on) I thought it was like the commercial by land rover in the jungle. The car was park on my garage On August 4, 2002 my family was on our way to celebrate our wedding anniversary and we were at the expressway when I noticed that water (not mist) coming out from center vent and few minutes later, the radio started to make a loud humming sound and I could not turn it off, I end up emergency parking in the expressway, of course I cancelled our dinner reservation because I am afraid that it might ruin more the computer on board or whatever in the dash board. I returned to the dealer in "Winnetka, Illinois and complaint about it and demanded to give me a new vehicle, I just added 28 miles from the original delivery miles. I spoke to Land Rover service department and beg no call the dealer and give me a new one. The dealer fixed the leakage and I was told that "it happened in one of the other customer that they did not remove the hose drainage plug. I have been calling the Land Rover and their respond was"I am pretty sure and confident that the dealer did the job. I went o another dealer for service since then till today03/023/05 I have received at least 3 recalls. With 3209 miles on it they found that the coolant hose is chafing, with 12985 miles on it, the brakes was vibrating when you apply the brakes they found that the rotor was warped and replaced the rotor and pads(cost $570.00) then today 03/23/05, after inspection they are recommending new pads and rotor (brake pads 4MM life left, the right passenger speaker buster (gurgles sound) engine coolant bottle was boiling, found holding coolant and cap not holding pressure and some brown oil burnt and they replace the oil cooler, also the wiper motor was replaced. I complaint to the advisor about the brakes that there's is something wrong with it. This car is suburban driving 8-10 miles a day. Last brakes service I was told that I put "brake hard" I drove this car for 1 and half year driving my kids to school and I using different car to and from my work. I have three other cars that I use alternately. With less than 6000 miles since last brake repair need another one? GOD BLESS AMERICA....
  • freelander_luvfreelander_luv Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my Freelander and I wanted to know a few things. Can anyone give me some intelligent/educated information (not personal experience) about what to expect from my pre-owned vehicle? I'd like to know about the engine and transmission and any other major components that may cause a major expense in the future. My bumper to bumper warranty is good for another 50k miles. I'm not sure if I'll trade it in or keep it after that. If there are major issues with the tranny (as I've been hearing) and there will only be potential future problems with it I think it would be wise of me NOT to get too attached. I really like driving this vehicle, but what sold me was the financing. I got 2.9% on a certified pre-owned and if anyone knows anything about the car biz that's unbelievable. The day I bought it, I got calls from other competitors telling me to go for it and congrats! Before I bought this SUV, I rented a Jeep Liberty for weeks on the job and drove it in the roughest weather you can imagine. Wow it drove so nice I wanted to keep it for personal reasons and I did - to go out car shopping. I really wanted a Jeep Liberty, especially because it would tow 5k pounds and I have a small horse trailer and a horse. The Freelander won't tow but 2500 pounds and that is a real bummer. Now I have to use my Freelander for daily driving and buy something else real cheap to haul the horse. Oh well, I got a really great deal on the price of my Freelander too - thousands BELOW NADA value, so no GAP insurance needed thank you :)
  • laslas Member Posts: 5
    The battery originaly delivered with our car was a lemon and I had the same problem. After 3 electrical problems and then finally a stall in -30 weather in traffic the person who boosted me told me to get a new battery. A new battery later and a middle-finger salute to the service center, the car ran fine (electrincially).
  • laslas Member Posts: 5
    After 3 1/2 years and many services later we finaly are trading in the Freelander. The car problems did not bother me as much as being treated like a complete idiot every time I reported a problem. Here's what drove me to the almost $8,000 loss with the trade-in:

First Incident:
    - Went to dealer and reported that I was losing coolant.
    - Dealer said they did a pressure test and found nothing.
    - I replaced coolant for a week and waited until I got a different service agent to answer the phone.
    - Serviced the vehicle and they found a cracked coolant line.
    - Replaced line, everything was fine.

Second Incident:
    - Electrical problems
    - Went for servicing, reported no problems found
    - Car stalled, was towed to dealer. Tower told me to ask for a new battery.
    - Asked for new battery, they told me it was fine.
    - Told dealer to replace battery or they were keeping the car (had to get too aggresive for my taste)
    - They replaced the battery
    - No more random lites, and no need to plug in vehicle overnight anymore

Third Incident:
    - Did the 40,000km service and was told brakes needed replacing
    - Replaced brakes and service at a cost of just over $1,000 CAD$
    - Two weeks later the brakes were squeeking unbarably.
    - Returned to dealer (seperate agent)
    - Was told I was in need of a desperate brake change
    - No one had any explanation for me or excuse, owner was not available.

Final Incident:
    - Very hard jerks between gear changes
    - Serviced vehicle, nothing could be found
    - Returned a week later, things were worse
    - Transmission was replaced (and no report to Carfax by the way, they simply said regular service)
    - Could not use any gears but Drive and Reverse...no change or sport or lower
    - Returned for service
    - Transmission work done

We have traded in for a Honda.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I assume they then replaced the brakes for free? I cannot believe you did not sue them or something. That warrants taking a week off of work and picketing outside their shop.

What was the dealer? Perhaps the web can be your venue?

BTW remind me not to buy a LR
  • kcrainkcrain Member Posts: 4
    Our '02 Freelander was in a wreck, and declared totalled by the insurance company last week. We weren't thrilled with the Freelander, but figured we'd try to keep it running until 100K miles rather than take the loss selling it early. The wreck brought that decision to a quick close.

After all the headaches...failed shifter cable, two front brake replacements in 30K miles, electrical gremlins...my wife didn't want another one and I don't blame her.

2005 Mercury Mariner (nee Ford Escape) has taken its place.
  • iogieriogier Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I bought a new V6 Freelander in 2002 and am very happy with it, with the exception of the same problem you have been suffering. The two amber lights only come on intermittently, and strangely usually only in the winter months. My local dealer allegedly ran a full diagnostic test last year and did not find any problem. The garage who serviced my Freelander today have suggested that it is a broken sensor on one of the front wheels - problem is that the "Testbook" diagnostic machine is only available from my local Land Rover dealer who are worse than useless. Have you had any luck sorting the problem ? If so - could you e-mail me.

Thanks.

Ian
  • freelandersuxfreelandersux Member Posts: 1
    My own experience, having just crossed the 50k mile line...

1) Brake pads being the first and foremost. After being told repeatedly by service staff that obviously I was driving way too fast and it was my own fault. Until they themselves had too many customer complaints to renege or ignore this. Several hundred dollars in pad / rotor replacement and rental cars.

2) Minor electrical problems. Warning lights that come on with no warning. Sunroof motor and windows motors breaking. Best was when I had $300k of priceless gear in my car and the rear left window decided to keep slipping down for no reason at all.

3) The ever present and oft mentioned coolant bottle. But here's where it gets bad and you should all be warned...

My overheat and check engine lights have come on erratically and dissapeared just as frequently. The temperature guage has remained constant and steady however, until around 30k miles when the needle started to fluctuate wildly. At one dealership two attempts were made to repair the problem before this was fixed. It was diagnosed repeatedly as a thermostat problem, not an actual problem with the coolant system itself. Ergo, the indicator becomes useless as to the actual problem with the car. I keep insisting coolant seems to get eaten up by the car way too fast. I am told I am not looking at the reservoir at the right times.

Unfortunately then I move to another state. The problem reoccurs. I bring the car in. The coolant bottle is replaced because of cracks.

200 miles later the problem resurfaces. Car is brought back in again. Thermostat replaced.

A few hundred miles later, driving a friend to the airport and the car emits enough smoke and steam to make it completely hazardous and it shuts down in the middle of the street. Vehicle is towed in to the dealer. Then and only then do they realize that the hoses should've been replaced a long time ago.

I of course at this point contacted Customer Care. I reiterated that a full picture of the vehicle's history and the number of unacceptable times I've had to bring the car in and have it worked on while taking loaner cars or sometimes cars I pay to rent - can only be completed by contacting service reps in both states I lived in. The Customer Care rep does not do this. The car seems to be fixed, so I drop it.

Until, 1000 or so miles later, the check engine light comes on for no reason...

Once again i contact customer care, and am given hassle over wanting to speak to a supervisor. I am told a supervisor will contact me in 24 hours turnaround. I hear from one five days later.

At my local service dealer I am overcharged $250 for a 48k mile servicing. I won't even go into what I heard then, suffice to say that two people had been fired from the service center for what I was told were fraudulent practices.

Oh and I forgot to mention having my transmission entirely replaced at 30k miles for no fault of my own, having it break down on windy dangerous roads. The vehicle has been towed in a total of 3 times now in a state that's completely undrivable.

This is a very concise rapid summary of a nightmare. Here is what I have learned about the Freelander 2002...

1) There is a consistent problem with the coolant system, beginning with the reservoirs cracking, that can lead to misdiagnoses such as ignoring battered hoses that will lead to the car dangerously overheating and resultant damage.

2) The transmissions are faulty and need to be replaced every 25k-30k miles or so. Wait until your warranty runs out and see how much that will cost

3) The brake pads and rotors are either of completely unacceptable quality or there is a problem with the braking system.

4) Land Rover "Customer Care" is nonexistent. Their local service technicians can range from excellent to admittedly deceptive. The corporate customer care service is staffed by rude people who only seem to care about making sure vehicles are repaired under warranty eventually, and no matter at what cost, safety, or inconvenience to you. Asking to speak to supervisors is unacceptable.

Those three points should be reiterated again and again. Because we all seem to be having the same problem. And we need to do something about it. The car is an absolute lemon.
  • p996p996 Member Posts: 56
    Land Rover Palm Beach no longer has Land Rover loaner cars.

I thought Land Rover NA gave them to them like Acura does.

What is going on? :confuse: