Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• bama99bama99 Member Posts: 6
    I stated that SOME things seem cheap. I used the cup holder cover as an example. I dont think Ive ever been to a board or seen a review on any car without coming across someone stating how cheap the interior is. Maybe its just what your use to, Im not use to a car as nice as the Altima so it seems very attractive to me. And maybe your use to seeing better quality in cars so I can understand where your coming from. The majority of the car's interior is very nice in MY opinion and thats why I made the final decision to purchase it. I would not spend my hard earned money on something that I didnt think would last, nor would I spend it if I felt I was getting ripped off. Anyway, hopefully you will find a car that meets your needs.
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    I mean personally I think Mercedes has a cheap interior...

What the heck are you talking about?! If you think Mercedes puts in cheap interiors, then of course you'd think the Altima has a cheap one too.... Besides, Nissan basically put in better engines, sophisticated suspension, and a roomy interior at the cost of cheaper interior trims -- this way they don't have to charge 30K+ for this car. I realize many people's dissappointments, but at this price, you can't have it all...
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Have you seen the M Class interior? It's really pathetic. Hard plastics abound. The center console actually falls in if pressed down. It's shoddy to say the least.

As for this price of the Altima (20-30k), one can't have a good interior? Have you seen the new Camry's interior? Felt it. Soft-touch materials abound. Of course the real benchmark is VW and its Passat and Jetta make the Altima look like a cheap-econobox Pinto from the 1970s. That's the tactile and visual difference. Sit in and touch both the Passat and Altima. There's really no comparing the two.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I keep hearing that Nissan has to cut cost this and cut costs that, then why didn't they just not have some of the options on the Altima. For example, the engine cover, delete the plastic thing, the V6 emblem, delete it, anybody can tell that a 3.5liter engine is probably a V6. Nissan just didn't do as good as Ghosn thought they would, I went by the dealership in my area today, and they didn't have any brochures on the car, and all of the models there last week had been sold, but they did have a I4 S model in Satin White in the back. Looked real nice too. I hope they resolve this problem very soon, I am really starting to lose my trust and loyalty in Nissan, and I just don't want to be sent to the Toyota dealership, because that is where I am headed next. Also, saw a new Camry by Westgate mall in Spartanburg South carolina today, a LE model in white, I didn't really care for it, I would most definately go with an SE I4 with Manual.
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    Bama, good luck with your car. I pretty much share your views that you get a better car than the other manufacturers build, and I can live with the interior materials not being at Passat levels. You get more for your money than with a Passat, better looks (to my eyes), and better handling and space. I think after you drive the car for a few weeks you won't even notice the flimsy parts of the interior.

But that's not why I'm writing--I was just wondering if you got it for less than MSRP or not. If we can track on the board roughly what people are paying it may help future buyers to drive a better deal. Thanks.

Oh, one last point. I don't think the interior on the Camry LE is any better than the Alty's interior. The LE is rather stark. However, the interior on the XLE with wood trim option I feel is better, but you're paying quite a bit for it. The thing about the Altima is that it will be fun to drive and look sporty and not bore you to death with its looks like a camcord.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I went to look at the 2002 Altimas today, and the dealer I went to claimed that Nissan wasn't allowing dealers to sell Altimas below MSRP for the first few months. Does anyone know whether this is true? I got the distinct feeling they were playing one of those sleazy car dealer games with me, especially after they offered "$1400-$1800" on my trade (worth $3700 trade-in according to KBB).
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The one I saw on the showroom floor had a spoiler, 6-disc in-dash CD, side air bags, and floormats. The sticker was like $26,075 or something. That does not include leather, which is an option on the SE. That is just too high with the interior that SE had.
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    OK, M-class has been the sore-spot for MB... but I think the rest of the lineup of Benz use very nice materials inside.

As for the Altima's interior... Like I said, if you buy an Altima, you're not paying any more than a new Camry or a Passat. However, you get a much more powerful engine and a larger interior... so, Nissan more or less had to cut some costs from the interior -- how hard is that for people to understand? Personally, I think they should have just stuck the 3.0L V6 in the SE from the Maxima and give only the Maxima the 3.5L engine. This would have definitely drawn a clearer line between the two cars and Nissan could have made the interior trims a LOT nicer.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I had a chance to test drive an Altima 2.5S yesterday.

In terms of driving and interior space, the car is very good indeed. The 175 bhp 2.5 liter L-4 engine pulled the car with great authority even at low speeds.

My big gripe is that there is just too much "hard" plastic in the interior, and it feels cheap. It compares very poorly to a Honda Accord; the Accord uses a minimum of "hard" plastic in the interior design, and it results in a "quality" feel that makes the car feel much more expensive than it should be. It's small wonder why the Accord is such a hot-selling model.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Dealers are allowed to sell the car for whatever the market will bear, above or below MSRP. Any dealer claiming anything to the contrary is playing the usual games...
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Since the M-class' interior has been mentioned negatively here, it should be noted that both for the 2000 model year, and again for 2002, MB has taken steps to upgrade the materials and finish in the ML. I can tell you from personal experience that the 2000 was a significant step up, and the 2002 looks like a proper Mercedes.

They acknowledged at one point that they could have avoided most of the negative feedback about the interior by spending no more than $200 up front, and there was a lot of regret and butt-kicking over the decisions that resulted in the way the car originally looked. I suspect Nissan will also live to regret the $100-200 at the manufacturering level that got left out of the interior, and that it will get fixed...but obviously not this year...
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Yep, shave $100-200 off the production costs and the end result can be tons of negative publicity. Odd how Nissan didn't just make the dash soft-touch like the Passat's. They claimed VW was the benchmark for the interior. Why bring up the competition that you know you chose not compete with on the same level? Weird. I'd guess by 2004 we'll see an Altima with a decent interior.
  • gdlucasgdlucas Member Posts: 2

I would like to say that I have followed this forum from the very beggining. Before the
     actual design of the 02 Altima. I too waited patiently for the showing at the NY
     autoshow, I too drolled and had a orgasm once I saw my long awaited baby. I too ran to
      every web site their was to view pictures and comments on the newly design Altima. I
       too couldn't wait to see one in person, with my very own eyes. I too jumped to the
      website to view the first altima rolling off the assembly line. I too waited for the pricing. I
      too cruised the Nissan dealers to see the new Altima. Well Saturday I was able to see
      and test drive the new Altima. And needless to say I was so very dissapointed and hurt,
      because I waited for so long for the big firecracker and it is a DUD. This is my personal
      opinion but my opinion reflects the majority.

Exterior:
             Beautiful, crisp, like none other. Fit and finish, excellent. Except for the hood and truck which felt to light. If someone who is heavyhanded slams the trunk to hard it might dent. Or if someone place something of average weight on the hood or trunk it might dent Apperance none to compare.
             From any view the Altima stands out head and shoulders to the competiion. Like others
             have said, looks better in person. Car has an upscale look.........At this point my knees
             are shaking....I open the door to view my baby on the inside........

Interior:
              I poke my head inside(interior color light) I go to sit in the car and begin to look around
              and then to my dismay, I could't believe my eyes, What the world is this. I began tapping the interior plastics and again I said What in the world. Cheap, is being modest, outright Yugo interior materials, Yeap that's right Yugo. I could not believe my eyes what I saw. Cutout for the trunk release, Hard CHEAP plastic everywhere I looked. And get his when I pulled the trunk release, IT BROKE OFF RIGHT IN MY HAND. By this time the salesman come over and I handed the handle to him and screamed, What kind if crap is this!!!!!!! He said calmly, this is a pre-production model, not all the bugs were fixed at this time. Yeah right!!! He asked me would I like to test drive the car. Still hurt and confused about how Nissan could build such a cheap car. (Makes me wonder what else is cheap) Cloth interior and gaps in the fabric. I'm a tailor and believe me whoever sewed the interior seats did a horrible job. The seams and distance of the seams, should be even from the corner. If not this will cause irregular wear and cause the seams to rip. And the area just below the radio, what a joke!!!! Sat in back and I too could poke my finiger through the gapping holes in the seats. And the armrest in the center and on the doors, I say why bother, looks like an after thought.

Test Drive 3.5 SE

Smooth and precise, rough $ smooth road beautiful, almost made me forget the cheap
          interior. Engine was quiet and handling a peice of cake.

Conclusion:
      I will not put 15,000 nor 30,000 into a car that I feel will have major interior probelms a
     year from now. Horrible, disgusting, lack of planning, rush job. I will say that Nissan has
      just lost 3 new Altima purchases and everywhere I go I will tell people about the cheap
     (Yugo) interior.
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    jimsxn: I agree that the Altima 3.5SE may be overpriced when compared to the Accord (in Canada), however, when compared to the Passat and Camry it is priced very competitively. A 2002 Passat GLS V6 does start at just over $33,000CA but quickly jumps to almost $38,000CA when you add Leather and Sunroof. The 2002 Camry XLE V6 starts at $32,570CA but jumps to $36,195CA when equiped with leather. At $31,100CA the Accord EX-V6 does seem like the value leader in the bunch.
    Haven't you posted that message before? I swear I've already read it, and I thought it was here. But I can't find it when I go back through the comments.
  • ronoboyronoboy Member Posts: 32
    Whoa, that is one passionate post about the interior! My current car is an Altima and previously I drove less expensive cars so maybe some of this (as somebody said previously I think) just depends on what you are comparing it to. The interior seems fine to me, and the overall price of the S version is less than a comparably equipped Jetta or Camry or other car in the general mid-sized ball park which people have mentioned as having better interiors. The Altima looks great on the outside, drives well (OK just one test drive but the auto mags seem impressed as well), is as big as a Maxima inside and I so I ordered one. Not much available with ABS though, I have to wait 6-8 weeks.

So - there is one back in Nissan's column, now they are only two behind gdlucas, and I'm going to tell everybody I know that it is a great car and if they want a diversion from worrying about the fate of the world given the political events of the last week they should go check it out!
    So I take it other people are having trouble finding a V6 with ABS. Anyone know why this is? I would have assumed pretty much all Altimas would be built with that option, since it seems like something everyone will want.

ronoboy- If you don't mind me asking, how much did you end up paying for your new Alty? The dealer I talked to this weekend wouldn't budge off MSRP.
    have any of you noticed that just about all the 2.5S models are coming with the Convenience Pkg.? I haVe yet to see a BASE 2.5S.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    Saw it today. Was surprised that Jerry Hirschberg was on the commercial. The theme was as expected "The cure for the common sedan". I guess I expected something different, the commercial was kinda similar to the Maxima commercials...simply an Altima blasting around and doing powerslides.
  • joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    I test drove a 3.5 SE today. 5 speed manual. First the good. I thought the engine and transmission where great. I have driven a lot of V6 manual transmissions in the last 6 months and most are terrible. Even the 2001 Maxima. Generally not easy to downshift into 2nd. The Altima was a pleasant surprise. Low effort. Went into any gear easily and nice smooth clutch. Some clutches on 01 models are very abrupt ( I suppose it makes for faster shifts and better 0-60 times which I could care less about). Very hard to downshift smoothly. Who needs that.? I don't want a street racer, I want a nice high performance touring car. Nissan did a good job. I also get down on my knees and thank the Gods at Nissan that I can buy a leather interior with having to have a f**king hole in the roof of my car. I dont WANT A SUNROOF!!!. Especially when the car is 10 years old. Dont want another place for leaks!!
    The interior is a bit disappointing. The MSRP for an SE with only the leather package is $25K. I would pay about $23K (I assume invoice is about this much). Good car for that price.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Replacing a rubber gasket in 10 years is not a big deal.
  • joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    Well then three other points about not wanting a sunroof. No.1 I don't want to pay for something I will not use. No.2 There is more headroom without it. and No. 3. Why should I not have the choice??
    afty: I did pay MSRP on the S version with ABS/side air bags, total = $20,178 including delivery. They gave me 500.00 over Kelly Blue Book for my trade, this was the only moderate concession (and $900.00 more than their original offer based on how much they would pay if they were at an Altima auction and there was 500 used Altima's and 10 buyers, or whatever the heck logic they use when they parade awful trade-in prices!)

Don't know what the deal on the ABS is, there was no car available at all the dealer could find to trade for even though I was willing to take any of four colors. Does adding this option slow down production too much when they are trying to get a lot to the dealers this fall, or is ABS simply not that popular of an option? Beats me, I was surprised none were available...
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    Does anyone know whether the Altimas are selling well at the sticker price that it's going for?

I would think that this wouldn't last too long, especially given the disappointing (by most people) interior.
    I bought my Altima 2.5S at MSRP. The price I saw when I was looking at it was 21,300 but when my wife and I sat down and started filling out the paper work the price had jumped to 21,900. I didnt remember seeing this price and I asked the dealer about it and apparently I had not looked at THEIR price. So after I saw this I told the salesman to forget it, and that I was not going to pay 600 more but I was willing to pay MSRP. It only took them a few minutes to resolve this issue and we continued on with the deal. They would not go under MSRP at all!
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Please see http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories0917/jdpa918.htm

Please understand that I do not mean any disrespect to the WTC tragedy at all as I am appalled by the entire event. However, I believe that the event, though tragic, has realistically affected consumer confidence and automobile sales will continue to stagnate. Thus, anyone buying a new car, such as the Altima, should not pay MSRP because soon, dealerships will have a glut of these cars on their lots and will need to liquidate them.

Bama99 - The Altima S MSRP is $19,438 (or thereabouts) - are you adding sales tax, license, title to get to your 21,300 figure, or did you have other options added like the convenience package?
    Finally saw the car I have been waiting for, the Altima SE, in my favorite color also, Seascape. The car had the auto trans., moonroof and Bose I believe for about 25K and some change. I did sit inside the cabin, and I do like the seats of the
    SE, and the material seemed pretty nice in THIS model, but the adjustable armrest was a bit wobbly and felt oh so CHEAP!!! I still want one. They also had a 2002 Maxima GLE sitting right beside it. Majestic Blue with Frost interior. I LOVE that car, the interior was TOP NOTCH, and the gauges looked so cool with the retro chrome rings. I might just get it over the Altima. The salesmen tried his best to sell me the Altima over the Maxima, it was like he just knew I need the Alty over the Max, needless to say, I didn't buy anything.
  • hmpowerhmpower Member Posts: 20
    I went to a dealer over the weekend to go over the new Altima, before I did that, I slid into a new Maxima that was nearby. plenty of room, comfy seats, front and back, good materials and textures. Then the Altima...the insied was great, then I started to notice the much worse materials, and then the center console - has anyone noticed how loose it is? I could move it laterally about an inch either way, sliding right around under the plate for the gear selector (auto model) I sat in another,and noticed the same thing. Then the seats felt much worse, the back seat felt like I was sitting on the floor. ( I know the Altima is designed to compete in a different price bracket, but come on- how many Camcords have these type of interior problems?)
    I figured out that to option out both cars like I wanted, the difference would only be about 1700 more for the Maxima, which seemed to be screwed together much better, plus I get more power and an extra cog in the manual box. So my mind is made up...for now.
  • cojonekacojoneka Member Posts: 10
    I too am deeply saddened by the recent events - I once worked in the WTC. I was on the verge of buying a Maxima or Altima (was probably going to flip a coin) but have decided, as many people will, to postpone my purchase. When I told the dealer why I wasn' buying, he didn't understand my logic - these scumbags are too much. As far as the car, the dealers really need their heads examined. I had a firm deal on a Max SE w/ everything except nav for 28,500 (sticker was 30,512. A fully loaded (everything) Altima SE stickers for 29,500, and the dealer would not move off of the sticker. This of course led me to the Max. I don't think you'll see too many loaded Altimas so they don't get near the Max. Again, though, with all due respect to the victims of the attack that brought on the uncertainty in an already unshaky economy, let's hold out on these dealers for a few weeks, and see how fast they are willing to deal on any car, and will be backed up by Nissan with some great cash back or financing offers. Good luck.
  • mney6mney6 Member Posts: 116
    Take a look at my side. I have received a total of 4 Altima's since labor day.3 out of the four have sold at MSRP because of supply versus demand.My next 2 Altima's will arrive in late Oct or early November.Why would I discount something that I can't get?As far as the Max is concered,How many do you want?
    They sell cheaper because the supply is on every dealers lot.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    maybe you should discount because the interior has been reported as not so good?
    Interior quality doesn't matter right now. People are wiling to pay MSRP because supply is so limited right now; therefore dealers aren't going to offer any deals until they can't sell them at MSRP anymore. Simple supply and demand.

What would you do as a dealer? Sell a car that's in short supply and high demand at a discount because some people don't like the interior? Heck no! Point those people to the Maxima and let others pay MSRP for the Altima.
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    the market determines the price. not complaining. i'm waiting patiently until the market price for this car is around invoice...but if that doesn't happen in a reasonable time period, i'll just buy the 2002 Camry at $400 over invoice at Carmax in Kenosha, WI.
    Sorry for the confusion. The price I listed included the convenience package. All they had at the dealership was the 2.5S model with convenience package.
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    Anyone seen any advertising for the 2002 Altima (other than billboards)?

I thought Nissan was going to do an all-out advertising blitz? I've seen lots of 2002 Camry ads.
    I saw an ad on Fox the other night. It had Jerry Hirshberg talking about the new Altima intermixed with shots of a silver Altima whizzing around. It ended with the Altima doing a 180 turn to face the camera and the tagline "The Cure for the Common Car."

I've only seen the ad once, though. I'm guessing they'll start ramping up the ads soon.
    Thanks for the clarification on the price, are you happy with the car so far? Any other comments from those who have taken delivery already would be appreciated, thanks!
  • ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    I was really interested in this car but when i test drove it I was a bit disappointed. The V4 is great but the engine is noisey. I could hear it loudly in the car in Drive and Park. I"m a stickler for quite cars.I also heard little noises here and there.I drove 2 of them and they were oth the same. The Camry is much Quieter. I did not have the oppertunity to drive the V6 but I turned on the engine and let it idle and it was much quieter than the V4. Here in NYC they are selling at about $1,000 below Sticker cause of the WTC horrific tragedy.Also the interior is a bit cheap. Everything felt as though they were going to fall off.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    BTW...the 4 cylinder engine in the Altima is inline not in "V" (I don't think you can have a 4 cyl engine in "V", mechanics?). So the proper terminology would be "I4", not V4.
    Has anyone seen the 2002 Nissan Altima brochure?
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    While I'm really interested in the upcoming '03 Infiniti G35, thought I'd look at an '02 Altima to see what Nissan up to. Local dealer only had a moderately loaded 2.5 SL with leather, sunroof, and some more. Didn't have 3.5L SE. Nor did he have any brochures. None for new Altima or even '02 Maxima. His lot was loaded with '02 Maximas! Not sure why everyone is complaining about interior materials. Only thing I didn't like were the plastic interior door handles/lock. Rest of it looked nice, including the leather seats. Was quite roomy inside and in trunk. I'm almost 6 ft 3 inches and I had no problem getting comfortable with the sunroof. The mechanical telescoping steering wheel is a nice touch!

After looking at this Altima we swung by a Toyota dealer to see a loaded 3.0 Camry SE. Stickered over $27,000. Nice and maybe a bit nicer materials but not as roomy. At least the formerly completely boring styling is now a bit more exciting. Know I'd rather have a 3.5 SE over the Camry!
  • oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    I just cruised around and found this topic. Nice topic, indeed. I have not been able to read through the 1,000+ posts, but I'd like to contribute a bit to it. Apologies if my findings have been reported here before.

I went to a local Nissan dealer to check out the new Altimas. I was told there are 4 trim levels - 2.5 (base), 2.5S, 2.5SL and 3.5SE. I saw the S (with cloth), SL (with leather) and SE (with cloth) models. Nice, very cool looking design from the outside. The SL stickered at 25K, with leather, 6CD changer and moonroof. The price, though on the high side, kinda fitted the car, somehow. The 3.5SE had a sticker of $25,127, without leather but with curtain airbags, and the Bose with 6CD changer. I had to drive this one. The dual exhaust did it for me over the SL model. I just loved the 3.5SE.

Quick points I noticed right away: The cloth interior of the SL looked cheap and on the thin side. Reminded me very much of my 1996 Altima I sold earlier this year. I can see that this would wear out real quick. There was some plastic cladding around the door which looked cheap as well. I didn't particularly like the dash with the oval-shaped tach, but I can live with it. Otherwise, everything else looked good. OTOH, the cloth interior in the SE is of much better quality than the one in the SL. Much much better, imo. Otherwise there was no noticeable interior difference bwteen the 2.5 and the 3.5. The exterior dual exhaust of the 3.5 was a deal breaker for me. I simply loved it, mated to the sleek 17" wheels and sport-tuned suspension on the 3.5. Uhmmmm... sweet...

I took the SE out for a test drive. Came with 5-speed, my kinda car. The engine was very peppy, alive and very very quick. By now you all can tell I like this car. On the highway, I went up to 80 and it simply soaked the speed up. I took it off O/D and watched the rpm climb and the car take off.... Oh my... wished the CHP were on strike so that I can take this car for a real long spin as fast as I could go..... This engine would win you over, I don't care how cheap the interior looks and/or feels. It sure did it for me.

One negative note: Maybe it is my imagination here, but i feel the doors didn't close with a real thunk. They kinda felt light. On the Camry, you can feel the solidity of the doors; they close with a thunk that inspires confidence. Not on the Alty, though.

I will like to close on a positive note: The sales guy demo-ed the remote keyless entry on the 3.5 for me. It was nice to see you can not only open all the doors with a click, but also lower the two front windows with a push of a button. Similar to the rear trunk door on my '01 Seqouia, where you can lower the rear window by holding down a button on the key fob. I thought the design of the Alty fob was very nicely done, as well.

Finally (geez, too long already, but please bear with me for a tad longer), I decided to compare the performance with a '01 Maxima SE Anniversary Edition (fully loaded with everything). The Max looked every bit a solid and very refined car. This car felt very familiar in my hands. Though peppy, the 3.0 is no match for the 3.5L engine. Clearly, Nissan outdid themselves with the new 3.5L engine, and I can only say that they have a winner, once again, with this engine.

To close: Just MHO, the Maxima is a more solidly built car than the Alty, but the latter is a far better-looking car. And, for looks and engine only, I'd buy the Alty at sticker, and enjoy it for a long time.

Good luck to you all, especially those who are undecided. To current owners, I'd say you have a nice gem in your hands and do not feel bad you paid sticker price.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    should have compared it against a 2002 Max SE.
    the 2.5S has cloth, not the 2.5SL, it comes with leather only.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    When I looked at the Altima the salesperson tried to push the huge row of '02 Maximas on his lot. Took a quick look under the rear suspension of one. Same old non-independent beam axle found in basic minivans. Why would anyone want a serious sport sedan that has such a cheap, space-saving, utilitarian rear suspension? New Altima fixes that problem as will the next generation Maxima. I remember the early 90s Maximas that had the right engine, transmission, and fully independent suspensions. Car mags raved. Then Nissan went cheap and the Maxima just became another powerful FWD car without all the right stuff to be a real sport sedan. Too bad. But Altima shows Nissan learned from that mistake!!!

Infiniti did the same thing when they switched to next generation G20 in 1999. The '89-'96 G20 had the fully independent suspension and the later platform went cheap beam axle. Where the first generation got FWD handling raves, no one mentioned favorably the 2nd generation G20s handling. Infiniti isn't making this mistake with the upcoming G35. RWD, serious power, and fully independent suspension.
  • aniryuaniryu Member Posts: 61
    I am interested in trading my boring Camry and getting a cure, so I was interested in the 2002 or 2003 Altima.

Can anyone tell me about the road noise of this car? I am not really serious right now, so I dont want to test drive it, yet..

Can anyone compare the road noise of the 2002 Camry and 2002 Altima? Thanks!
  • amazing2uamazing2u Member Posts: 67
    I'm currently shoping fo a car and I will probably take the Max over the Altima. Why?
    Because of the quality in the Max. I don't realy car about the rear suspension. The test drive in the Max was good and comfy. It's a minor fault compared to the carpet AND built quality of the Altima.
    I test drove one (altima 3.5SE) yesterday. I was impressed with the road handling BUT was not with the wind noise. Upon further inspection, I noticed that a seal around the windshield was STICKING OUT!!! Very unimpresive in a car that price. It makes me wonder what else they scr@!# UP. :)

Max= Built in Japan.
    Altima= Built in USA.
    I definitely agree with you about the beam axle of the Maxima being a huge turn-off. I would buy a Maxima right now if it weren't for the rear suspension, since it's difficult to get an Altima at a reasonable price and Maximas are selling at or below invoice.

Everything I've read says that the Altima outhandles the Maxima by a large amount. That combined with the looks of the Altima has convinced me to wait until dealers are willing to deal on the new Altimas. Hopefully, it won't take too long.

Incidently, I think the reason Altimas aren't moving from some dealer lots is because they won't sell below sticker. The 2002 Camry can be had for close to invoice already!
This discussion has been closed.