Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    "That is NOT cheap unless they are selling them WAY below invoice."

-----------------------------------------------

I understand your statement, and also would not have paid MSRP, which on mine was $28565 + a dealer add on package of $945. I could, however, have bought an '01 "S", for about $2000 more, or around $24000. Maybe your dealer won't do it. There were two incentives when I bought. One was a factory to dealer incentive of $4000. The other was a $1500 buyer incentive. They also got rid of the $945 wash, wax, and striping package. That should be labeled "Additional Dealer Profit" anyway. All that totals $6445 in discounts. In addition they discounted it down to $21630, and gave me $150 in free gasoline credit cards. For a before tax/tag price of $21680. The invoice was $259??, or barely under $26000. My cost was more than $4000 under invoice.
  • stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    "If G20 owners are raving, that means they are just lying to themselves."... or, maybe they just know something you don't.
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    First, when I checked last week, in front I had to look at details like the fog lights, and headlight configuration to tell the front of a Maxima from an Altima.

The back is another matter. For one, I really liked it jewel lights and all. Then Last night I got to trail one. Noticed a possible problem. There's no real bumper.

Has any one had experiece with the back bumper being hit? Has this been subjected to any bumper basher tests?
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I doubt that Nissan would have REALLY built a new car without a rear bumper, against all the regulations.

they just made it invisible.

But if you need a big eyesore in the shape of a rear bumber, perhaps you could buy an aftermarket one. Hehe you just gave me an idea - I am going to start a business making add-on rear bumpers for 2002 Nissan Altima owners. :)
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    would be a stellar performer. It's got an awesome multi-link setup and with leather the car feels great. Really the only weak point on the G20 would be the pathetic 145 HP engine. Drop in the new 2.5L and 3.5L and you'd have a screamer.
  • dabronxrdabronxr Member Posts: 73
    Went to Nissan dealer 2day. Checked out the 3.5. I was not in a great mood , but made my mind that IS THE CAR 4ME!. I AM BUYING IT. I left there and tell ya what...Ya remeber M.C. Hammer? I was singing all da way home da-da-dA-dI..dI-dI..di-da CANT TOUCH THIS!. LOOKS GREAT FROM BEHIND WITH THE SLENDER SPOILER WITH ITS INTERGRATED BRAKE LIGHT..CANT TOUCH THIS... DA-DA-DA-DI..DI-DA..DI DA!!! YEAH BABY LEAVE THE SILVER ONE ALONE IT IS MINE!!!!! MANUAL ...240 BHP...17 INCH ALLOYS...CANT TOUCH THIS!!!!!
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    That was really funny, anywaz good luck with your purchase, it's a darn good car.
  • ronoboyronoboy Member Posts: 32
    On our first fill up mileage was just under 21, entirely city driving. Not great but a bit better than our previous Altima. Hopefully will improve some over time, isn't there supposed to be a "break-in" time?
  • ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    What city are you in? have you had any rattles, funny noises or any other problems? Is the engine too loud? Do you have power seats? Do you feel as if you are sitting too low in the car.I sat in one today and it felt low too me. Needless to say I drive a Suv so that may account for the low seat feel? Has anything fallen off?
    Actually the seating in the 2002 Altima was raised somewhat over previous models. My wife likes her Mini van. Any cars we got in to test drive she was not comfortable with the seating, since she is used too that higher seating. Well when she got in Altima she loved it. Supposedly part of the reason for making the seat higher was for people like her, on the market for a car after driving Mini Vans and SUV's for awhile.
    We don't have power seats, but the seating position is adjustable and seems fine to us. So far no rattles, bumps, etc., only problem was a cracked mirror in the driver side visor that the
    dealer will replace.

We are in Champaign, IL, so very flat driving conditions.

Engine noise seems fine to us, I've heard the Camry is better for road and engine noise but the new Altima is quiet in our opinion. If we have to accelerate quickly there is an audible "growl" (for want of a better word!) as the car picks up speed, but then it quiets right back down.

BUT - first inkling that I may have a VIN problem - sent the VIN to my bank over the web and they say it's incorrect. I double checked before sending since that problem has been discussed on this board, I'll try again today and hopefully it will go through OK. Uh oh!
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    The acceleration with the 5 speed is awesome. I swear it felt very much like my brothers Porsche 911. Your head would snap back as you shift gears and I was surprised that the torque steer that everyone complains about was minimal. The steering however was not very sporty. Very vague and sedan like ( although, let's face it, it is a sedan). I can see how Motorweek got the car to do 0 to 60 in 5.9 seconds. I wish it was 5 inches shorter though. I'm facing a dilemma because I've narrowed it down to three cars, the Subaru WRX ( which, despite it's faster 0 to 60 times), does not feel as quick as the Nissan Altima. Or, the Altima, or, the new Maxima.
  • yellowdryellowdr Member Posts: 41
    My wife really enjoyed her test drive in the Altima s.
    She compared it to the Maxima she drove a few years ago.
    Questions:
    what is the "real" gas mileage to expect with the automatic and what might she expect in the winter?
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    Corkfish, I'm curious how you came up with the user id of "corkfish". Is that based on an actual type of fish, or what? BTW, I think it's a cool name, whatever its origin.

Also, Cupholder, don't mess with Ruski's 300M. That is one beautiful, mean machine, so don't compare it to a Buick! ;)
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Test drove automatic versions of the 4 and 6 cylinder Altimas today with a friend.

Impressive handling (compared to American family boats (sedans?) and somewhat better than the Accord or Camry. Disappointing (bland and cheap-feeling and looking) interior and ridiculous amounts of torque steer detract from the overall ride. There was a broken trim piece in the armrest container. Not good for initial impression! Decent Bose sound system in the 6.

Also, I was absolutely unable to find a comfortable driving position with the manual seat and tilt steering sheel in the 4, while it was marginal because I could telescope the steering in the 6 cylinder.

Overall, a pretty decent car - but I can wait, and have a feeling the Mazda 6 will be way better! (atleast from the pics and specs)
    Quite an exciting time to be buying a family sedan, I must admit. For those buying now, a month from now is ideal - when the Nissan dealers brains get back on an even keel and the demand slows a little!
  • velvet2velvet2 Member Posts: 3
    Purchased 10/18/02 Altima '02 2.5 SL, 4 cyl., leather package, moonroof, floor mats, splash guards, in-cabin microfilter, wood trim, ABS and airbag package, Bose radio. Actually, got everything except for the cold package (which I really did want) but couldn't find in this area. Love the car! Paid $23K. So far so good!! Had a '92 Honda Accord prior to this and a Celica prior to the Accord. So far, the Altima is the most fun car to drive. I see no problem with the interior. Looks good to me. I wanted something with a different look. Everybody has a Honda or a Camry. To each his own.
    minus the cold package that is... I also drive a 1992 Honda Accord, it's a DX model in the dark red color(I forget the name) but my mom brought it brand new, and I have been driving it for a year now(I've only had my lincenses that long.) Y

Also, your name is Velvet2, does that imply that you brought Velvet Beige? I saw that color, it looks pretty nice, I want the Mystic Emerald or Seascape color whenever I buy, maybe even Opal Blue or Polished Pewter, but anyway, congrats on your purchase, you will enjoy it.

I also saw a new Altima at Stein Mart today, I was driving by the parking lot, and I was like "I know those lights from somewhere, so I followed it, then this old lady with her twenty something year old daughter stepped out of it, I parked right beside them so I could admire it, it was a 2.5S in Noveau Ruby with Blond cloth interior, it was really sharp!
    I too drove an Altima this week and noticed a broken piece in the arm rest container. The back seat arm rest lifts open and inside were 2 plastic trim pieces covering srews...well one of them was broken off exposing the screw, and the cheapness of interior?? It's not just that ..look at the door handles my kids pointed them out to me . They look very cheap and "fragile". Most of interior trim inside cabin is a fragile feeling plastic. I love the car other than that.
  • dougmckaydougmckay Member Posts: 22
    Went to look at the new Altima today. It's a sharp looking car.

The local dealership had about a dozen or so mixed variety, but they all had one thing in common...an additional dealer price markup of $1295 for, get this, "Acid Rain Protection".

'Scuse me while I hurl...

Anybody else experiencing such outlandish price markups from their dealers?
  • jf_spadejf_spade Member Posts: 16
    Both me and my wife went in and test drove the 2.5 S 5-speed yesterday. We were both very impressed. I've followed this board and read that everyone complains about the interior. I drive a '96 Kia Sephia so the interior feels like a step up for me. The head room and leg room in the back is great. My wife likes the fact that she can reach the controls of the radio without having to stretch (she's a tiny 4'10").

I test drove the camry today and it just didn't have the feel that I had when I drove the altima. The back didn't have the leg room that the altima had. After today I've decided to go with the altima. There's one thing though, the car that took for a test drive didn't have the convience package in it. The dealer said that he could do a dealer trade to get the model and color that I want. I have some questions about dealer trades that hopefully some of you can answer.

1. How does a dealer trade process work and will I have to pay extra for it?

2. Can't I just have the dealer order me a new altima with the exact things that I want on it?

3. I don't want some Joe Schmoe driving my new altima to deliver my new car. Plus I feel more comfortable if I'm putting the miles on the car myself. Will the dealer let me go pick-up the car myself?

Someone please answer question #1 because I'm not too sure how this entire process works.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    1. How does a dealer trade process work and will I have to pay extra for it?
    2. Can't I just have the dealer order me a new altima with the exact things that I want on it?

A dealer trade happens when one dealer sells a car to another dealer. Usually it happens for something like $100 over invoice. Your dealer searches through inventories of nearby dealers looking for a car that matches your specs, and if he finds one he buys it from the other dealer and then sells it to you. The advantage to this method over ordering a car is that you don't have to wait for a car to be built and delivered to you. The disadvantage is that it is possible that they won't be able to find exactly what you want and you may have to settle for something slightly different from what you were hoping for. I'm not entirely clear how the two processes would impact pricing.
    1. From what I have seen(experience with a Honda dealer) all they have to do to find your vehicle is check with other dealerships in the area, then they make a trade, you should pay nothing for this, and if they try to charge you DON'T PAY IT! The sales manager I shadowed in 9th grade told me that it cost them nothing, but they often try to charge people for the time they spent hunting it down.(Again, don't pay if they try to charge.)

2) Yes, the dealer can order your car I believe. I for one want a Altima 2.5SL with every option excpet the wood grain trim or a 3.5SE with all the options execpt the rear spoiler(I just don't like them.) I want my Altima in a 5 speed, I have yet to see one, so I figure I will have to order, and I have been told that you can. It could take awhile though.

3) The dealer should have no problem with you going to pick up your car from the other dealership, in reality you are helping them, it's saving them money buy you going to get it. Also, I would check it out before I buy it.

Also, Just out of curiousity, what options do you want on your new Altima? The dealerships in my area have an overwhelming supply of 2.5S models with the Convenience packages, I've only seen one 2.5S without it.
    Our Altima S was a dealer trade between our dealer in Champaign, IL and one in Bloomington, IN. Our dealer had a staff person drive a trailer to Bloomington to deliver the car they were trading, and then trailered my car back to Champaign. There was no charge for this and I when I took delivery my car had only 4 miles. Small amount of confusion in that I was looking for an Altima S with ABS/side air bags and the micron filter (in red, no convenience package). The car that was delivered also had mud flaps and floor mats. I wouldn't pay for these so they threw in the mud flaps free and took the floor mats out. The local dealer had ordered the car I wanted from the factory but I said if they found one to trade before that would be fine, got the car about a month earlier this way.
  • tcdenvertcdenver Member Posts: 18
    I am very curious about the price for the '01 Millenia P for $21680 that you cited here earlier. Was it for a brand new car? Or was it a demo? I cannot locate a dealer to offer me that price in Denver. Can you tell us where you are and more about the deal?

The deal is certainly great and I don't see how you can get such a nice car and pay $2000 less than a similarly equipped 3.5SL Altima. In comparison, Altima is certainly way over-priced. Millenia is positioned to be near-luxury and has been well appraised by reviewers.

By the way, if anyone knows any dealer in Denver can give the same deal, please post your contact info here and I will be more than happy to call you.
  • ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    This particular car I test drove was super smooth, quiet car. Everthing worked and everthing was in place.The muti link susupension was awesome. I drove into a belly-like hole and the car handled it smoothly. I expected some noises but none.As a matter of fact I purposely went into that hole.This was on Long Island, New York. Hard to find bad roads there.To Spade I understand your nervousness. I prefer to buy a car off the lot as opposed to them finding one for you.But this is a common practice and sometimes I believe it's the luck of the draw when it comes to getting a good car or a problem prone one.I was looking for a base Se and the salesman said he has to have his inventory manager locate one at the port in Elizabeth, NJ. I was looking at Camry but the dealers are just taking off a couple of hundred dollars of MSRp.In a recession they shouldn't be getting MSRP.I'm a salesman and traffic is way down in almost every business except security related businesses.At most dealers they are more salesmen than customers.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    The new Altima won Edmunds' "Most Wanted Midsized Sedan Under $30,000" award! Check out the article here.
  • salismansalisman Member Posts: 2
    I went to see the new Altima upclose and personal today, and I was seriously impressed! The new look is lovely, and I thought the interior was actually pretty nice. It's just different than most. I have been looking at a 2002 Accord, and I like it's reliability record, but that Altima is hot....and the girlfriend loves it too :-). Can anyone tell me what the reliability history of the Altima as a model is? I've heard it's pretty good, and I am hoping to make a decision in the next couple of weeks.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    A few posts ago I was saying how much I liked the Millenia yet it was SO expensive, and now I am eating crow!!. How ironic! I get a flyer from Mazda talking about steep discounts on the Millenia. To make a long story short, my wife is now the proud owner of a Millenia P which we leased for $22,000. Invoice was almost $27K...MSRP $29K!!!!. What can I say, the Millenia is a nice car.
  • skinnypooskinnypoo Member Posts: 20
    oh man, went down to a dealer and saw the Altima...there is not way i could ever purchase a car that has a CHEAPO interior as the NEW Altima.

Not only is the interior cheap and plasticky...the front grille has a lot of plastic too...

This car in New York would become a rattle box in no time.

240 horses who cares, when you cant stand the interior...and hey that is where you are 100 percent of the time.

oh, the walnut trim...is UGLY...orange yellow...tacky.
    I looked at one yesterday. What color is it? Can you post some pics of it later? Congrats on your purchase, now you have two very nice cars in your fleet. A Millenia and a Maxima.
    It's the sadest excuse for wood trim I have ever seen, since it's not standard, why didn't they just make it real wood, and charge more for it? Nissan can make some REALLY STUPID decisions.

Did anybody read the article in NY Times about Nissan sending Pill Bottles to people, and people thought they may contain anthrax, talk about bad timing! So Nissan has stopped sending them out, and is going to send letters of apologies to people who receieved them, and will send regular brochures to anyone who would like to get one. Personally I think they should have just sent us all regular brochures in the first place, and used the extra money on the interior materials, but that's JMO.
    This is an Altima forum, so I will keep this brief:

-------------------------------------------------
    tcdenver: quote

"I am very curious about the price for the '01 Millenia P for $21680 that you cited here earlier. Was it for a brand new car? Or was it a demo? I cannot locate a dealer to offer me that price in Denver. Can you tell us where you are and more about the deal?"

-----------------------------------------------

Yes, brand new, three miles on odo. Was not even on the dealers inventory list yet. A salesman heard us talking, and told them they had exactly what I was looking for on the back lot. Took one look at it and closed the deal at $21830, minus $150 in gas cards = $21680. Cash, no trade, before tax and tag. Out the door $23779. No trick to this deal, and the car is immaculate. I now have 3800 trouble free miles on it after a 3000 mile vacation, and it's ready for the first oil change.

This was Courtesy Mazda in Tampa Fl. Good luck in Denver.
  • jf_spadejf_spade Member Posts: 16
    maxamillion.... I want to get a 2.5 S 5-speed with the convience package and foglights. I would like a siver one (like in the commercials). I think the altima looks pretty good in that color. If the dealer finds one without the foglights, I'd still take it. I've been to a couple of dealerships here and everyone has the S in an automatic. I prefer to pick my own gears so I want the 5-speed.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Looked at the Lexus ES300 this weekend. Thought it interesting that this 210 HP 3.0L V-6 car comes standard with V-rated tires, P215/60VR16. Brochure says it has a top speed of 140 mph. It comes only with automatic transmission. Still can't figure out why Nissan puts H-rated tires on the Altima 3.5 SE automatic. Must have a speed limiter, 'cause it should be able to go at least 140 mph. What is the point of having a Sport Pkg and a 240 HP 3.5L V-6 only to have it shod with low-grade tires? And there isn't even an option for the automatic buyer to get V-rated tires.
    That is also strange to me. My '01 Millenia "P" also came with V rated tires. And this is a 170HP 2.5liter V-6. I suppose it may be capable of 149 mph, which is the V rated limit. But I can't imagine under what conditions I would have the opportunity to find out. In my opinion, these cars would be better served by installing H rated tires. The Millenia is smooth and quiet with the V's, but would probably be even quieter and smoother with the H's. I would swap for H tires, but would probably lose money in the process. Guess I'll just wait until the V's wear out and change over then.
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    "Still can't figure out why Nissan puts H-rated tires on the Altima 3.5 SE automatic"

The simple reason is that 99.99% of buyers don't care, so Nissan probably decided to cut costs. Of the drivers that would care, most will end up buying the manual version anyway. Most buyers will never drive this car above 130 mph let alone sustain that speed for any amount of time. Also, the difference in lower speed performance between the H and V rated tires (if there is any) would be unnoticable to almost everyone.

"And there isn't even an option for the automatic buyer to get V-rated tires."

What manufacturer of cars in the same class as the Altima offer V-rated tires as an option? Actually, what manufacturer of cars in the same class even offer tires that are agressive as these so called "low-grade" tires. Remember, this car has been designed to compete with the Accords and Camrys (not the BMWs, Lexuses, MBs, etc...). Even the Maxima GLE, the big brother to the Altima, comes with the same 215/55HR17 tires. Besides, there always is an option; bargain with the dealer when you buy the car to have him install the V-rated tires.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    My Millenia is a two tone white. gorgoeous car.

now....back to the Altima!
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I was waiting on someone to touch upon that. I requested a brochure on the Altima via Nissan's web site. What arrived was a large metal can with a perscription bottle type label on it echoing their "cure for the common car" theme by saying to take one a day and all that type of stuff. It would have been a "cute" theme during different times. However my post-office had opened it and put clear tape across the top of the can to keep the brochure from falling out, and I guess so I could see in the can. I guess they inspected it?? The postman brought it to the door himself...and after some very careful looking and shaking the car nut inside finally opened the darned thing.

Anyway it's a great car, marred only by a somewhat low-rent interior. The first 4-door "looker" Nissan has made in quite, quite some time.

M
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    The Maxima SE and I-35 Sport automatic both use V-rated tires. And in a more aggressive size than even the Altima 3.5 SE manual! Why be cheap with the Sport model of an otherwise high performance sport sedan (i.e., all the Altima 3.5 SEs)? They gave it the better IRS!!! The one Altima 3.5 SE automatic I've seen on a local dealer's lot had an MSRP of about $29,500. It did NOT have all available options. One could go option crazy and have an Altima 3.5 SE with an MSRP over $30,000. So why skimp on tires when you gave it a 240 HP engine and sophisticated rear suspension? Just because someone wants an automatic or can't drive a stick? Whatever happened to the 60s muscle car era when many automatic tranny equipped cars got the extra HP to make up for the performance loss?

I give buyers of Altima 3.5 SE automatic enough credit to know they aren't getting the "full" car and its capabilities. Nissan will have to speed limit it. I'll have to see if if Toyota does same or not for Camry V-6 SE in regard to speed rating of tires and top speed; it now has a limited Sport Pkg.
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    If you advertize that you're going to compete with the Honda Accord, don't put in a Civic Interior.

Any Rear Bumper Tests?
  • brad45brad45 Member Posts: 27
    I am amazed at so many people being so upset about the interior. Mine has no rattles or squeaks and I have not had a single piece come loose or be misaligned. And so what if the grill has plastic in it. ALL GRILLS ARE PLASTIC! That has to be the most ridiculous complaint I have read so far.

one point on the bumper - check out the Accord Coupe's rear bumper - Looks pretty similar doesn't it. There are lots of cars with close to flush bumpers on the market. Let's wait for the tests before we speculate the worst. My biggest concern with the bumper is how to mount my bike rack.

Also in general the 2.5S shoppers, me included, seem to be happiest with the Altima. I hope people searching for a car in the $20K range don't get discouraged by the complaints of people shopping for much more expensive cars.
  • brad45brad45 Member Posts: 27
    A comment was made in an earlier post that a comfortable seating position was not possible without the telescoping wheel. First this is very subjective - I am very comfortable in my car and never use the telescope feature and second, the telescoping wheel is standard on the Altima, at least on 2.5 S and above.
    I've driven it. First it only comes with an automatic...strike one. Second the car's power plant is the same anemic engine that the last gen Camry V6 carried...strike 2. Third, the Camry SE floats around corners, relaying neither roadfeel or any sense that the car is firmly planted to the ground...strike 3.

Sure the interior of the Camry SE is nice, but if the trade off is a car with no personality, no power, no stick and zero handling capabilities, well then the car is essentially useless.

I've yet to drive an Altima SE with a stick. Given my past experience with Nissan, it seems a safe bet that the car will handle well. Plus it's got loads of power AND stick.
  • traesmoovtraesmoov Member Posts: 4
    Certainly not in California!! It is so frustrating to have money in hand, a decent price quote yet no car to be found!!! I am looking for a 3.5SE 5 speed with leather and there is not one anywhere in Southern Cali!! I got a quote of $26,100. for a 3.5SE w/ leather, sunroof & deflector, Bose, spoiler, side sills pkg and microfilter through InvoiceDealers.com. I received immediate assistance from an affiliated dealer but after checking the system it seems like there are no 5 speed 3.5SE's around with a leather interior. This has been confirmed to me by 4 different dealers in the last 48 hours. I wouldn't mind picking up aftermarket leather (better quality anyway) but I wanted the Auto Temp Control. I definitely do not want to compromise and give up all that 5 speed performance. My salesman said that I could place my order and receive the car in 2 or 3 months built to my specs. 2 or 3 months - NO WAY! What should I do?!
  • oilers1oilers1 Member Posts: 17
    Has anybody gotten info out of Nissan why this is the case? Anyway, thourouly enjoyed my test drive of a 3.5 auto. Looking for a 5 speed but none available in this area. As for the H rated tires vs V rated, what's the problem? The tires stuck well and will wear better than the V rated ones. Hankook, Cooper and Avon all offer V rated rubber. Does that mean they are better tires than H rated Michelins? No available HID! Now that's an issue...
    Bumper that is...
    hey, bumper complainers, check this out - www.bumperdumper.com
    Trust me...I looked and looked for a car, settled on one and then couldn't see myself waiting 2-3 months more. I settled on a car I didn't want. I regret that decision.
  • velvet2velvet2 Member Posts: 3
    Max -- In answer to your question, yes, my 2.5SL is Velvet Beige.

In reading these messages I realize I didn't take into consideration dealer mark-up on this car. Don't make the same mistake when you go to buy! Oh well -- I STILL LOVE MY CAR!

BTW, there is nothing wrong with the interior of this car. To each his own.
This discussion has been closed.