Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    98 Altima GXE
    Only problem I encountered with this car and it annoys me a lot is squeaking..It used to be just when you hit a pothole now it is becoming its way of life! (I experienced this only with old cars that I own). I found some on squeaking but I just have the numbers... Anyway I can get what these are? Thank you

99-052 SEP 99 Interior - Squeak and Rattle Repair
    98-110 JAN 99 Squeak and Rattle Repair - Supplies
  • zhangjozhangjo Member Posts: 5
    I am planning to buy Altima SE 3.5, But after I checked Nissan website, I found the 350Z is far more attractive. My Goodness, 350Z under 30K. Maybe I should drive my Nissan Stanza (which is a lousy car) for one more year.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Do you need a sedan, or can you get by with a 2-seater?
  • colorsofspringcolorsofspring Member Posts: 16
    I was just given an internet price quote for $18,700 for a 2002 Altima 2.5 S with Auto trans. Fog lights, and splash guards in Velvet beige (my first choise of color).
    The dealer is in NYC. Should I take the deal?
  • ikester12ikester12 Member Posts: 5
    I purchase my Altima on Dec.31,2001. I got the Altima 2.5S automatic in polish pewter with the blond frost interior. I really do like how the car rides and handle. So far I'm the only one with the color polish pewter in the area. Most places I go to people will stop and notice the bold lines of the car and how the color gives the car a refine look. The 2.5L motor is plenty for my kind of driving. The color makes the car look more expensive.
  • jignbobberjignbobber Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are torn between the 2002 Altima v6 SE and the 2002 Passat GLS (can't afford a V6).
    I need help:

I drove the GLS (4cyl and 6cyl): great interior and quality but I felt the car to be a bit underpowered and the brakes soft.

The 2002 altima is exactly the opposite: GREAT v6 Engine (a rocket), great outside looks, excellent brakes, more "organic" drive....but cheap looking material and inside fit and finish.

My wife wants the Passat and I prefer the Altima

Any feedback would be appreciated

thanks

mazen
    Vancouver, WA
  • ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    Mazen: The Passat is the standard. German engineering and all.if you need space go for the Altima.If you need a cool looking car Go for the Altima.If you want quality interior go for the Passat.I prefer the Altima cause it gives you a younger image and it's a real nice car.
  • sdawson713sdawson713 Member Posts: 34
    That would be a great deal. In fact, it would be below invoice!

Be careful, it could be a lowball price just to get you into the showroom. As I often tell my customers, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. One thing I would definately suggest is that you investigate the dealer with the Better Business Bureau. (www.bbb.org) If they don't recommend them, i'd shop around.

Sid
  • colorsofspringcolorsofspring Member Posts: 16
    We ended up taking a better offer from another dealer. We dealt directly with the internet sales
    rep.
    So 1 fax, and 2 phone calls later...

Altima 2.5 S VELVET BEIGE / BLONDE INTERIOR
    Automatic
    Splash guards
    Foglights
    Floor mats
    Auto Dimming Rearview mirror w/ compass
    $18,800 plus tax title and license.

MSRP as configured on Nissan's website: $20,055.
    I think I did well.
    I will pick up the car in 3 days!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Get in line for the Z now. RWD, more power, less weight, too fun. There will be lines, though.

Passat or Altima? The key is who is the primary driver? If it's her car, let her choose.

The Passat does seem over-engineered. Check out the carpets, the door hinges, the articulating trunk hinge, the headliner, visors, all very nice. But reliability is not a strong point, and the 1.8T only makes 170hp, same as the 4 cylinder Altima.

The Altima is all engine. Reliability should be a plus, too.

-juice
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Well, I've been casually car shopping for a replacement for my '93 Accord EX and test drove a Altima 3.5L SE 5-speed today. Over the weekend, I drove a Lexus is300 and a BMW 330i.

My impressions:

The engine is 90% as sweet as the BMW, and very comparable to the Lexus, though in a different way...there is just something about an I-6 that can't be duplicated.

The Altima is quicker than both the BMW and Lexus in a straight line, but doesn't "feel" as quick as I thought it would.

The suspension is well set up with a good combination of stiffness and compliance. I was impressed. The Altima, however, is not as composed as the BMW or Lexus on rough and/or twisty roads. Also, it is obviously front-wheel drive in that it exhibits some torque steer and understeer.

Interior plastics and layout don't compare to the BMW but the Lexus is surprisingly cheap inside, although the Lexus is a nicer place to be in. The Altima doesn't really trail the Lexus by too much, and it is a lot roomier.

The Altima is noticeably noisier on the road. I heard most road noise coming from the back of the cabin (trunk or back seat area?). I also heard a few rattles dring my test drive.

I was surprised to learn that ABS is not standard on the Altima. I was impressed to learn that the ABS option includes side airbags, side curtain airbags, and Electronic Brake Force Distribution. Although traction control is noticeably absent, these options really bring the Altima up to the plate to compete with more expensive "luxury" imports.

The BMW is one of the best looking cars on the road so I won't compare it to the Altima. I do think the Altima looks great, and is the best looking Nissan product ever! The Altima looks better than the Lexus, which I think looks like a Honda Civic with clear lenses.

Anecdote: driving to work this morning, I saw what I thought was an IS300 ahead of me. As I caught up to it, I saw that it was actually a last generation (94-98) Honda Accord with round red stickers taped to the back trunk lid, flanking the license plate. I know my cars very well, and it still fooled me until I got right up to it!

I was very impressed with the Altima. Carefully equipped, it is a true bargain, and a terrific sports sedan! Optioned up with all the goodies, it becomes somewhat less compelling because of the near-luxury competition. Bottom line - nothing costing around $28,000 will give you the combination of performance and features that the Altima offers. You could go with the BMW 325i or Audi A4 1.8T at that price and get more respect at the country club, but you won't get climate control, moonroof, 240 hp, leather, auto dim mirror, etc.

I congratulate all you '02 Altima owners out there. You've made a great choice on a fine car!
  • stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    I can see where it might be possible to mistake the rear end of a few cars for a Lexus IS300, at least from a distance, if one were to add what appears to be the signature Lexus inside red lamps and change to clear tail lenses (I assume the Honda that confused you had those as well). BTW, the last gen Accord ran from 94-97.
    Right! I forgot to count 1994 as one of the four years.
  • silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    In an earlier post, ateixeira, said that the Passat was "over-engineered." Out of curiosity, what does this term mean, particularly in this context?
  • dsgnrdsgnr Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up my new Altima 2.5 S this past weekend. The rear speakers have the letters "NDSS" written on them. Does anyone know what that stands for and who the manufacturer of the stereo system is? Just curious. Thanks!
    I meant built to withstand more abuse than it's ever likely to get. Check out the door hinges and you'll see what I mean. At an auto show a VW rep stood on the door and jumped up and down on it. Many cars would've suffered bad door alignment, but the Passat didn't - it sealed perfectly.

Ask owners, and even the ones that suffered reliability problems tend to long for the materials quality that the Passat offers. They may need to move up to an Infiniti/Acura/Lexus to get what they're accustomed to.

If VW had reliability under control, there's no telling what they could do.

-juice
    I believe Nissan's stereo systems are manufactured by Clarion. Not sure what NDSS stands for, however. Probably something like "Nissan Design Sound System."
  • kcb2kcb2 Member Posts: 22
    Can you install a cassette aftermarket and keep the CD in the dash as well? Circuit City told me I'd have to put the CD in the trunk if I installed a cassette in the dash. I can't see using a CD if it is in the trunk. Why did Nissan skimp on this?
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    As you can see, Nissan skimped a lot in the interior of the Altima. They could have put in a cassette player, but it would have cost more money.

I personally don't listen to cassettes anymore so it's not a problem, but if you do, I can see why you would be upset.
    Now I get it. I couldn't figure out how a car could be over-engineered. Your explanation made a lot of sense.

I just posted some comments on VW reliability on the Passat board. If you get a chance take a peek, I think it's post #2705 or thereabouts. I came to the same conclusion that you just did. If VW's reliability improved, they'd have some near perfect vehicles, especially in the non-luxury class. Then buying a Passat would be a no-brainer for me. I guess you just can't have it all, try as you might. *Sigh* .....
    I say let a german design it, let the Japanese built it, and then american dealers sell it with their discounts and rebates. The perfect car! ;-)

-juice
    I'm with you on that, ateixeira!! That sounds like a winning combination. Perhaps in a dream world ......
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    That would definitely be cool! Of course, the US would probably end up going bankrupt...
  • perry1961perry1961 Member Posts: 10
    has 57 miles on it and I can't get the "check engine soon" light to go off.Have clicked gas cap 3 times,and salesman put 93 octane in.Is there a fix for this problem yet?
    I think there might be a TSB out on the check engine light issue. Select 2002 Nissan Altima this website and look under "Engine:Camshaft":

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/service1.cfm?SearchTopic=Vehicle

I believe if you call Nissan with the TSB number, they can tell you more about it.

• blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    I couldnt believe how much tire howl the SE-R I drove on the highway translates into the cabin- by far worse than the 3.5 SE I also drove. I almost think there might be something wrong with that particular unit. I like the car too much to not test my theory by driving another one.

Has anyone(midnightcowboy?)driven both and come away with the same experience? Love the car but that tire howl is a deal killer for me if its common with all SE-R's

brickers:

"I do have one question, the dealer mentioned something about the 3.5SL's suspension being more luxury tuned, hence absorbs bumps better and has better sound insulation compared to the 3.5SE or the 2.5, I did drive both and couldn't tell the difference too much. Any thoughts on that?"

Thats my understanding regarding the suspension as well. While I can tell a difference its pretty subtle imo. I also tend to pick up on a lot of details with vehicles in general that others wouldnt bat an eyelash at. That said, I can understand you not being able to tell the difference.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    I just went to http://www.nissandriven.com/vehicles/ModelSpecifications/0,9439,20700||,00.html to try to discern differences between the base (2.5) and 2.5S models. I kind of figured the usual luxury options available on mid-grade models such as the S (sunroof, power seat, alloys, audio upgrades) would not be available on the base model, so no surprise there.

What I don't understand is that neither A/C nor a stereo are listed as standard OR optional on the 2.5 (non-S). Is Nissan offering the base model purely to say they have a mid-size that costs under $17k? Are the a/c and CD stereo available as dealer-installed options? If not, I would be surprised if they sold a single unit. What gives?

I also find it maddening that: in order to get a sunroof on the 2.5S (this is the mid-grade model, mind you), I'd have to spend more than $2600 over the base price (because you have to get the 'convenience package', which includes a bunch of stuff I neither need or want: keyless, alloys, power seat, etc.). I hate package bundling.

That said, the Altima S with the roof and convenience package even for $21,400 seems like a hell of a deal.
    Get an aftermarket moonroof. For about $900, you can get a power roof installed by an ASC approved installer, with lifetime warranty against squeeks and leaks. A manual pop-up roof is about $300.

I've had two myself, and several friends have put them in. None ever had a single problem.

-juice
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    There can only be one reason to create the 2.5, and that is to give dealerships a car so cheap they can run enticing newspaper ads that trumpet the low monthly payment.

Bundling options seems is hardly unique to Nissan. Toyota is infamous for it, and even Honda fans gnash their teeth about option packages.

FWIW I have a theory that buying a car is a two-step process. First step: pick the specific model. At this point, buyer still trying to be rational, keeping to a budget.

Second step: trick it out. Here buyer loses emotional control, and now those seductive options packages suddenly start sending the OTD price higher than we'd meant to go. But too late. We're hooked, and we grin sheepishly as we exceed our budget.

At least that is how I have bought cars. Just a theory.
    I think Nissan should drop the base model, as Toyota has dropped the CE. They make up something like 5% of sales, and only serve to allow dealers to tease customers with artificially low prices.

IMHO things like A/C, CD, and ABS should be standard in this day and age. Safety features, too. When you standardize you save assembly costs by not having to change things over and over again on the assembly line. I bet it helps quality ratings too.

-juice
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    Fedlawman, What was your opinion of the operation of the Altima SE 5 speed in comparison to the manual transmissions on the BMW and Lexus?
  • cwbarrettcwbarrett Member Posts: 40
    My 2.5S has aftermarket leather, woodtrim, outside strip and glaze. This helped me get by the cheap look aspects that get mentioned here. These aftermarket guys did a nice job. Overall I love the car. If I wanted the power of the SE I would have gone for a car that handled better (and smaller like the Subaru WRX - tough choice). But I have big kids who complain when they're stuck in the back on the way to their numerous sports events. Bye Bye sports car for me. The S with 175 horses is great for the traffic I deal with on I95. The space is the best I've seen in this class. My wife has a Subie LLBean and I have more cabin space for passengers in my Altima. My 94SE took me to 175K miles and I hope this new S does the same. But not to blue sky this, if I step on it, the power is definately there but it is louder than I'd like. And actually I think the steering could be a little tighter. I did notice the reflection of the speedometer at night the first couple of nights, but that went away. I don't know why. Maybe I repositioned myself in the seat or got used to it. One thing that makes me smile is looking at the costs of the Passats or Volvo (read Ford) S40 and see that I have a equal car for far less $$$. BTW the Clarion stereo rocks! Oh yeah, with 2500 miles I don't have a single defect, knock on wood (or fake wood trim as it were). Lastly, the theory on tricking out the car after we set our budget is dead on. Once the check book opens we're seriously exposed!
    That's normal for 4 bangers. They usually get the job done, it a bit loudly. The Altima leads the 4 cylinder class in power, at least.

I also felt the steering was overboosted a little.

-juice
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Hey, Altima fans! Time to shake it up in here a little. Edmunds has just purchased a Nouveau Ruby 3.5 for a long-term road test. First report is up now. Do they like it? "Nissan has set a new benchmark in the midsize sedan market, leaving everyone else to play catch up."
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    As storyteller mentions, Edmunds has just begun a long-term road test on the 2002 3.5 Altima SE. You can read the initial report from the "Helpful Links" box on the left sidebar of this page.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    We'll see about that. I think if the interior was like the Maxima, that would been a true statement. But with the somewhat cheap looking interior w/ no luxuriousness whatsoever combined with less than great materials, I think Nissan still is playing catch-up in the brand image department.

I love the power of my new Altima but I think I'm going to have to swap out the cloth seats with some nice aftermarket leather. The factory leather was not for me.
    I have read about paint problems with 5th generation Maximas and Sentras. Is anyone out there with the new 2002 Altima having any issues with paint chipping or unusual amount of wear and tear related to the paint? Color showing beneath, excessive chips on the hood, behind the tires, etc. I love the car and want to purchase but resale is important and a poor paint job really affects resale. Also I want it to look new. The problems have occurred on the 2000-02 Maximas as soon as 1000 miles. Any input would be appreciated!!! Kim
  • coolguycodyccoolguycodyc Member Posts: 1
    As I was at the dealership looking at a new altima, the salesman was explaining that the Altima is built using a lot of high strength aluminum. Does anyone know how this building strategy affects safety? Is the aluminum as dent resistant as common steel?
    Thanks
    He meant to say that the hood and the trunk was made of aluminum to save weight. The suspension is partly made of aluminum for the same reason. No effect on safety.

High strength steel used on the chassis affects safety.
  • b_thedudeb_thedude Member Posts: 2
    To Altima owners
    Have any of you had problems will the paint Job?
    My buddy does it seems as if the clearcoat is wearing out in spots all over the car causing the paint to peal and the primer exsposed. The car is 3 months old. Please let me know.
    Thanks
    b_thedude
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    I have a 2k Maxima and the paint is awful (scratches REALLY easily). Nissan has a bad reputation for very thin paint, and I am not surprised that that issue is coming up again with the new Altima. Come one Nissan!..give us decent paint jobs.
    Nissan salesman told me that Nissan has a five year/ unlimited mileage warranty on the paint "except for normal wear and tear such as rocks hitting it." Any comments out there?
    The dealer probably means the corrosion warranty on the paint.
    So does that mean that the problem that b_thedude (msg #2841) is having is not covered? What could they do about paint problems anyway except to repaint the car?
  • rvideenrvideen Member Posts: 5
    b-thedude...
    regarding the paint on 2002 Altima's. My wife bought her silver 2002 2.5 Altima just before Christmas. the Car was built in Novemeber.
    so far so good...the paints holding out. I've always owned GM vehicles and never have had a paint problem. Now I'm getting nervous on hearing about paint problems!
    So far she loves her car. We went on a 250 mile trip at Christmas and we drove 75 on the freeway.
    Posted a good 31 mpg.
    That should definitely be covered on a 3-month old car. Ford had a similar problem back in the early 1990s with their paint. Basically, it was because they used cheap paint. Well, a consumer agency went to court and sued Ford and made them repaint a whole bunch of peoples' cars. (On another note, a friend of mine has a 1994 Mercury Cougar that the paint just flaked off of, so it does happen.) I would talk to the dealer about the car. I am not going to give an answer, because I don't know for sure and don't wanna invoke false hope.
    Honda/Acura also has a bad reputation for thin paint. I don't know how well deserved it is. Supposedly it's due to manufacturers having to be more "green" by using environmentally friendly chemicals.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    with dark colors....next time I get a Nissan car, it will not be black!.
  • duperduper Member Posts: 127
    Found this info on another site. I don't know how reliable the source is but it's interesting.

"Nissan will have a brand new 2 door model in late 2003. It might even make it to the U.S !
    It will compete with the Solara/Accord Coupe, and is based on a shortened Altima platform with the same engines. "

• cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    I would not put too much faith in the Hollywood extra web site...
This discussion has been closed.