Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I want the 240hp engine too, but they need to upgrade the interior materials or else drop the price. If I am going to pay almost $30K for a car, I want it to look like I paid that much or more for it on the inside. I guess I am spoiled by my VW Jetta though.

One of my co-workers wasn't so happy after a ride yesterday in my Jetta because it looks exactly like her 2001 Audi A4 inside, which she paid $5000 more for. :)
  • soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    Why didn't Edmunds include $28,800 Acura 3.2 TL in this test ? Passat & loaded Altima cost close (or more?)

Even loaded V6 Camry would cost more than 3.2 Acura TL. Wouldn;t you rather buy Acura TL for that price & get the lux-buyer treatment at the dealers (& watch Acura NSX while you are there for Service, Seep free Coffee & dounuts!!) :-))
  • wdoranwdoran Member Posts: 31
    Does Nissan recommend regular or Hi-test for the 2.5 Engine? I have avoided 4 cylinder cars in the past because of rough idle compared to a 6 cylinder, how does the new engine stack up?
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Nissan recommends regular for the 4-cylinder and premium for the V6.
    Sobers: So you can seep coffee at the Acura dealership, eh? :) Just kidding. I agree though, I would much rather have a TL than some $30K Altima SE with a cheap interior (my opinion only though).

Wdoran: I have read that the 4 cylinder engine is a bit loud and coarse in some publications, but don't know for sure as I have not driven one.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    Keep this in mind...

True that Passats have better interior materials, but they are not as well made as their competitors. Not only is the Passat's reliability questionable, but when you do have to fix the car it will cost you a pretty penny to do so.
  • stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    "... at least around here. VW is sort of like a poor-man's luxury brand."

I've never seen any such attachment to VW's anywhere. I've owned a couple and I like them, especially the Passat. But, IMHO, the VW brand has never been held in higher esteem then Honda or Toyota or even Nissan. I think, in some ways, it's been more of a struggle for VW since it's still haunted by the econo box stigma of the old Beetle and Rabbit days. And the build quality funk VW went through in the 80's and 90's didn't help matters either. VW has come a LONG way. But, luxury brand... I don't think so. At least not yet.

I do think that the new Altima is a glorious return to Nissans historically sporty image. They lost their way, as well, in the mid-90's. But, the revamped Nissan and Infiniti line is putting them back in the game in a big way.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    To me the bottom line is you shouldn't pay $30k for an Altima, but then again who has? Edmunds' car was heavily loaded, and they're talking MSRP.

That Passat had cloth and a 5 speed, so it would be priced well above even that loaded Altima if it had leather and auto.

I'd order this:

20859 5 speed 3.5SE
    693 ABS and air bag pkg
    259 cold pkg
    60 mats
    737 moonroof

$22,608. Now that makes sense. And yes I used the invoice price because prices are close to that now, not the MSRP.

My wife would probably add leather, but that would still be just $23,880. The interior is fine for that price level.

The Passat's price pushes it up against the new Infiniti G35. $30 grand gets you a leather lined, 260hp, RWD, monster. Watch out, VW. And that interior is fine, you even get the cool clock. ;-)

The TL was notably absent, but they were testing premium family sedans, not near luxury cars. I guess they were one tier below the TL and G35. Though low-end models of those are a good alternative, for sure.

-juice
    You can't get the Cold Pkg. without getting leather seats, so she would have to add leather to get the Cold Pkg. I would also want the sunroof, rear spoiler, Bose radio (probably have to get it with the options I want anyway, but will not if it's not required), and HID lights as well.

I still think the interior is too cheap for the price. It needs to be a little fancier, IMO. Are they going to make any changes next year on it?
    I included the moonroof.

Even with the Bose and HIDs you're talking $25,091. That's about the average transaction price for a new car, so the interior is still acceptable at that price point. The power, features, and interior space are well above average, too.

I doubt they'll change the interior. Blame Carlos "le cost cutter" Ghosn if you don't like it. But there's always Infiniti to move up to. The G35 looks very promising in the $30k price range.

I just don't see the Altima costing you $30 grand, not today. Not unless you walk in with blind folds and scream "rip me off please!"

-juice
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    That's right Juice, blame your countryman for the cost cutting.
    Sure enough, we share a flag.

But he really turned Nissan around. Ahead of schedule, too.

-juice
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    IMHO Nissan ruined an otherwise perfect car with it's subpar interior.
  • implicitimplicit Member Posts: 41
    If they fix the interior do you think it would be the perfect car?
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    Yes, with an interior as nice as the exterior it would definitely be the best car in it's class and probably the best car for under $30,000.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    If Nissan just addresses the interior of the Altima, it will be the perfect car! I'd love to get a Altima 2.5SL with every option, with an interior at least on par with the current Accord. If it had an interior like the Passat, I'd be fighting to get one. The new Altima IS the best looking Midsize sedan in this class, along with the Passat. IMO!
  • pathmax00pathmax00 Member Posts: 22
    I hope people are not defining the Altimas interior by its use of hard plastic on the entire dashboard. It would seam that this is becoming the norm on allot of new cars. I just got back from taking my son to look at cars on a Sunday. We got lucky, as many cars were unlocked on the various dealer lots we went to. The Altima is an excellent choice for 25000 or under. Paying 29000 for a 3.5 se is ridicules as the Maxima is a better car in that price range.
  • keyrowkeyrow Member Posts: 214
    I agree that 29k is way too much for an Altima. The Max is a better value and has all the sportiness one could want in a FWD. If I may be so bold as to invite ridicule: 29K will also put an I35 in the driveway. Granted, it is nowhere near as sport oriented as the Altima, but the 4 yr warrantee and the outstanding customer service (ie a guaranteed loaner whenever the car is being serviced) make it quite attractive for the price. To keep the sport orientation one would look at the Infiniti G35, however it does come with a price of 30K+.

Excuse my short absence but I'll be out in the back yard digging a foxhole so I can duck out of the way of the soon to be incoming verbal missiles.
    IMHO interior is secondary.

It's still FWD with an open differential. I'd prefer to see an AWD or at least a front LSD option first (like the CL-S). Tighten the steering (it's overboosted), and work on shifter feel (it's too notchy).

Though I'm sure Nissan would be more than glad to sell me a G35, which ought to address all those concerns. Could that be the perfect car?

Nope, it's not free! And the rear styling could be prettier.

-juice
  • ylekiot1ylekiot1 Member Posts: 5
    If you are buying an S or SL model and are having a spoiler installed by the dealership (or an SE that didn't come with one from the factory), MAKE SURE YOU KNOW IF THEY ARE PUTTING ON AN AFTERMARKET SPOILER OR A NISSAN SPOILER! I bought an Altima S recently and found out later that an aftermarket spoiler was installed, NOT the one I assumed I would get through the Nissan Parts Department. You buy a Nissan car, you expect to get a Nissan part right? Wrong. The spoiler I got looks the same except for the light bar on the back. The Nissan spoiler lightbar is red, the one I had installed was clear with red LED's. The seal around the lightbar on the Nissan part is watertight. The aftermarket one is NOT!
    Make sure you do not add in the Nissan spoiler price to what you decide you will pay before you go to the dealership unless you specify that that is what you want when the papers are written up. Be sure that you are aware of where your dealership installed accessory parts are coming from.
    Nissan North America says it is legal because I did not specify that I wanted a NISSAN part.
    Sounds like a bait and switch to me.
    Shouldn't it be that they need to specify when I am getting an aftermarket part?
    If the price sheet has Nissan's logo, yes. In other words, if it's on the Monroney.

But if the dealer added his own price sheet, then no, that should tip you off that it's aftermarket.

-juice
  • elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    I have been pricing the Altima S with an automatic transmission & the anti-lock brake package....I think the car stickers for something like 20k.....who pays sticker any more ?

I plan on telling the dealer how much over invoice
    that I am willing to pay.....there are 3 dealers in my area & I can play one off the other if need be.

I am looking to buy this car for around $18,500.

Also considering the Toyota Camry...I will likely test-drive both. I would like to check out just how loud the "front tire road noise" is in the Altima.
  • inneffeckinneffeck Member Posts: 1
    well I see everbody else has got their eye on interior, spoilers,& pricing on the whole car exc..
    Im tryin to get somebody to give me a price on the v6 3.5 240 hp engine! is it possible to swap this into a se-r or a 1st gen alti? the new alti
    is running 14.9 on the 1/4 mile and thats a heavy car, what about that perfomance in a coupe. Thats what im trying to do any body got any info??
    My first thought is that the V6 would be too big for the engine bay of a 1st gen Alty or an SE-R. But I have no experience with these kinds of things and that is just an uninformed guess.

If your really want a fast SE-R, you could buy a JDM SR20DET engine and drop it in. Those things are monsters and supposedly very easy to mod. Also works for the 240SX.
    Tire noise is probably worse with the 17" summer tires on the 3.5SE manual. I bet your tires are fine.

I doubt Nissan would sell the engine separately. Try junk yards, see if you find one that was totalled from behind or from the side.

That would be quite a project, though. You'd spend a lot less if you called Mr. Oscar Jackson and slapped on one of his wonderful superchargers, about $3500.

-juice
  • 01altidriver01altidriver Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased '01 Altima GXE automatic. I wanted to know the following if anyone knowledgeable would be so kind...

1. what type of gasoline should i put in it? 87, 89 or premium?
    i don't think prem is necessary, but would 87 be enough? i plan on driving the car for a long time.

2. oil change. how many miles really? 3K? 5K? 7.5K? i'm so confused.

3. i've heard that nissans in general tend to have alot of electrical problems, anyone know of any for '01 altimas?

4. do you hear a slight noise (on the right side by the glove compartment) when pressing the brakes to shift transmission from Park to Drive?

thank you so much!
    -Silvia
  • sdawson713sdawson713 Member Posts: 34
    Congrats on your new Altima...I hope you enjoy it.

1. She drinks regular. 87 should be fine.

2. Nissan recommends every 3750. I personally do every 3000.

3. I dont know of any typical electrical concerns.

4. The noise you hear when you change gears is normal. Its a safety feature that requires you to push the brake in order to shift. No worries!

Enjoy it!
    SID
  • minizx3minizx3 Member Posts: 32
    Hi all!

We've been looking at the 2.5 S automatic, with leather for about three weeks now. Every other car we look at always brings us back to the Altima. The only thing I do not like, as many have posted, is the interior dash. The Jetta is so cool inside. But I guess this is supposed to be a family type car. We are going to look at the Civic tonight and then make out decision.

I have one question of those of you who dislike the dash but now own, does it grow on you or are you still not happy with it?

Thanks
    The Altima is a bit roomier than the Passat, so that's not a fair comparison. It's also comparable to the Accord, not Civic.

If your pricing puts a 175hp mid-sizer up against less powerful compacts, then to me the choice is easy.

-juice
    I've had a 3.5SE for 3 months now, and I have to say that I've never really had a problem with the dash design. Maybe the 240 hp underfoot clouds my judgment. :-)

I will say that several of the interior bits are cheap, as people have said. For example, the carpeting feels cheap, the shift boot is vinyl instead of leather, the cover to the cupholders and the dash storage compartment are flimsy, etc.
    But besides the Passat, that's true of most competitors, too.

Honda and Toyota are guilty of cost cutting, just take a close look at the carpets and headliners. They aren't as good as they used to be on those very same models.

If interior materials are a high priority, get a Passat 1.8T. The Accord and Camry aren't much different from the Altima.

-juice
  • minizx3minizx3 Member Posts: 32
    I think that since I'm in the inside more that outside that I would like the inside to be a little nicer. My husband is in love with the car, so I guess you know what we are getting. This will be the car he drives mostly anyway. He's hoping to pick it up tomorrow night. I want to wait for Saturday morning so that if there are any scratches or scuffs I can see them.

I guess I'll have to let this little peeve go.

Hopefully, we will chat soon and on a better note.

Thanks
  • soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    I think for 97/98 Accord/Camry stronger YEN was really a bog problem for Honda/Toyota. They had to take many cost cutting measure right from seat fabrick, door inserts (non leather) dash meterials. Now with the better position they would put better interiro materials in the future products. LIke new Corolla has real nice interior materials with $1500 price reduction.
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    After owning the 3.5 SE for 5 months now, I must say that the interior is my least favorite part of the car. Especially the cloth seats.

I may get aftermarket leather w/ heated seats.
  • keyrowkeyrow Member Posts: 214
    I, too, am interested in getting better leather by going to an after market supplier. With leather I definitely would want them to be heated. Below freezing temps and non-heated leather do wonders for one's own seat. Does anyone know of a GOOD seat to look at, or perhaps would a local upholstery shop be able to do it (the heating elements that is)? Opinions, anyone?
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    if you go to www.altimas.net a fella named JRC is doing a group buy thru leatherseats.com. The normal price is $679 but the group buy (20+) is somewhere around $540.

They were saying that it would cost another $2-300 to have it installed, if you don't want to do it yourself. Also I think the heated seat element with the switch sells for $129 for the front 2 seats. The leather is a lot better than factory and you can also get full leather (like BMW 750iL) for $849. I don't know if the quality will be as good as the BMW (I'm sure it's not) but I like the fact that every part of the seat will be leather.

My old J30t didn't have heated seats because it was a '93 and I used to freeze my butt off (literally) every winter.
    Yep, get heaters. My Miata and my wife's 626 both have none, and they are cold in the winter.

BTW, those prices are excellent. I usually see leather from $900 to $1200 installed.

-juice
  • jebsdaddyjebsdaddy Member Posts: 52
    Can someone with experience with a sunroof on their Altima go to the "Problem and Solution" folder and answer #17. Thanks, Robert
  • jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    My 97.5 Altima has 35k miles and the airbag light recently started flashing and won't go off. I suspect this could range from a simple sensor problem to something quite costly. Anyone have similar experience and what was the outcome?
    Usually a flashing light means you should park it and call a tow truck. A light that's on is a warning, but a flashing light is serious - do not drive the car, call your dealer ASAP.

-juice
  • jmfreshourjmfreshour Member Posts: 57
    We had a 95 Altima that had the same issue. In our case, it was the air bag computer that went bad. We had it replaced at the cost of $1,000 (more dealer service trickery?). Not an easy repair to take. Like Juice said, I'd take it in as quick as possible before the 36k warranty runs out. Good luck.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...his problem is that the warranty already HAS run out. Open the checkbook...
    pales in comparison the the Accord and the Camry as far as interior materials go. There is NO soft touch plastic to be found in the Altima. The interior materials might be acceptable for a $17,000 car but not for what can be a $28,000-$30,000 car. That's up into TL/S60/Avalon/Maxima territory, all of which have much better interior materials and fit-and-finish. Even a $15,000 Civic has some soft-touch materials inside. Our 93 has better plastics. IMO there is no excuse for Nissan to saddle the Altima with that interior. But then again, there was no excuse for them saddling the Maxima/G20 with a rear axle either.
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    Nissan cut corners on the sexy design, the powerful engine, the upgraded suspension, the extra luxury features. The car is an AWESOME value, if kept below $25k (not too hard).....
    Nissan give us an all-around good car. IMO the interior almost knocks it completely off my list considering that for $25,000 you have lots of alternatives to the Altima.
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    It's not an Impala or Grand Prix! It could use a one-touch roof (that really frosts my weinie!). Stay away from the bad fake wood, that really amplifies any deficiency. THe suspension is strong, the engine is the best, the looks are the best, big back seat and trunk, 20 gallon tank. No car is perfect! I HATE Nissan, and I have to love this car......
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    hey quit knocking Grand Prix.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I know it's getting old, but I am going to continue to fuss about the interior until Nissan fixes it.

After work tonight( Max has a little part-time job.) I went to Vic Bailey VW...

Now, if you know me, you know that I love both Volkswagens and Nissans. I have a strong love for both the Passat and the new Altima, as well as the current Maxima, but I have got to say that Nissan really goofed up with the interior of the new Altima, the car is just TOO GOOD for an interior THAT BAD! I mean, it's not quite GM bad, and everybody knows that just about every GM car has a cheap interior, but it's not on Honda or Toyota's level, which really upsets me. Don't even mention the Passat! I think I would have probably given up some of the little features for better interior materials. For example, I would be happy if they had used better materials, and just not have Xenons optional. Also, I think Nissan and Toyota should feel gulity for making people pay for ABS on these cars, all cars in this class should have it STANDARD!! As for the fake wood, I think if I have to pay EXTRA for wood trim, it should at least be REAL WoOD TRIM!! Nissan, this is flat out ghetto. Very sad indeed.

I wonder if Nissan plans to revise the interior for 2004, I doubt it will happen for 2003, considering the 2003 Maxima is coming out in June, and the redesigned 2004 Maxima is coming in Jan/Feb of 2003. Nissan has an almost perfect car, but the interior is the only problem, I can't help it. I drive a 10 year old 1992 Honda Accord with better materials. I still love the Alty, but I think I am starting to like the Passat more, but when it comes to reliablity, the VW, even with it's superior craftmanship, can't touch the Altima.(According to previous models.)

While I am on the subject, I would like to see an Altima that is similar to the Maxima GLE...

I'd like Memory seating

One-touch roof

Power passenger's seat

Keep the 5-speed(I don't like autos.)

"Luxurious" suspension setting.

The Name "Nissan Altima 3.5SLE" Sounds too tight! I like that

Drop the "2.5 Base", has anyone actually seen one?

I understand that some of these things are a little much, but I just expect a lot from my first new car, I don't want to be worried that my armrest might break, like I have heard a few complain about.
  • pathmax00pathmax00 Member Posts: 22
    Please don’t define the Altima by its lack of soft touch plastic. Many cars today costing thousands more do not have any soft touch plastic anywhere in the dash, arm rest, or door panels. The 35000+ dollar Acura MDX is just one to name in this price range. If you want to complain about something bad then grab the center console on an Altima, you can wiggle it side to side. That’s just plain bad!
This discussion has been closed.