Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Was down all day yesterday for me too. It seems to be back up now, though you still can't browse the forums.
  • auerbachauerbach Member Posts: 110
    Forgive me, but I just don't get this advertising fee. I didn't pay one when I bought my Mazda 2 years ago - is this exclusive to Nissan dealers?

I don't get charged an advertising fee when I go clothes shopping or food shopping or major appliance or electronics shopping.

What's next? Do I have to pay for their pens and pencils.

For me, paying $400 for an advertising fee would be a deal breaker.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I prefer that they build all their costs into their price. Fitzmall.com does, and they sell Nissans.

-juice
  • mney6mney6 Member Posts: 116
    That's because you are paying retail on all those products,so you really don't know what's included in the invoice of clothes or grocerys.
    My dad farms and gets 2.00 dollars a bushel for corn but we have to pay 4.50 for a box of corn flakes.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    North Liberty? I used to live about 10 miles from there in Iowa City. I can remember going to the reservoir in Coralville during the flood about 7 years back. Sorry, of topic, carry on.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    What a great place to live.
    Been here for about four years
    True - but if there were two boxes of corn flakes - one $4.50 and the other $4.50 with a $1 advertising fee tacked on - which one would you buy?

If Nissan insists on charging everyone $400 for advertising then, at a minimum, they shouldn't sell any car for less than $400 over invoice. Then they would get their "fee" and still make a few bucks from holdback.

After all, they are not the only "game" in town.
    That last sentence is the key - do competitors and even competing dealers tack on the same fees? I don't care what they call it, the bottom line is what counts to me.

-juice
    I agree. When I bought my Altima, I didn't care how the dealer itemized the fees. I asked for an out-the-door quote and then shopped based on that.

FWIW, there was no advertising fee itemized on my purchase. Came out to negotiated cost of the car + tax + license fee + documentation fee.
    Corn Flakes 1.25
    Packing .75
    Plastic Liner .10
    Box .20
    Advertising .75
    ----------------------------
    3.05 invoice
    4.50 MSRP
    Their Advertising is included on their invoice just like every Nissan.
  • loucopitsloucopits Member Posts: 103
    I offered $500 under invoice for a 2002 Toyota Solara. The dealer agreed, but when I saw the sales agreement they had added a $350 advertising fee back in, making it $150 under invoice. I walked, went to another dealer, and he was happy to take $500 under the same invoice price. Dealer #2 did not have the proper car in stock, so they did a dealer trade - with dealer #1 and the same car I first tried to buy.
  • felisarnfelisarn Member Posts: 6
    I had gone to a dealer and was made an offer.

2.5S, convenience package, abs, fog lights, mats, etc. 200 above invoice, and 8300 for my trade on 99 mercury cougar. I wanted it in peuter and black interior. I put $100 on the deal. 6.39% interest rate.

I called them when i saw an offer for 0.9% interest and that I was going to check it out and see if it was applicable to the altima, and told him that when I called they said they could give me a better deal, and I told him that I owed it to myself to at least check it out. He said that they were lying and there was no better deal and that he had given me the best deal. He talked about the it for about 15 minutes. I told him that i owed it to myself to check it out, and if it was the truth that I couldn't find a better deal, then he had nothing to worry about. He called me twice when i was on the way to the dealer's, making statements about how his deal was the best
    In the mean time I went to the dealer that was offering 0.9%. They offered me $300 more for my trade, invoice on the car, $100 dollars additional, to compensate if I didn't get the money back from the other dealer, free scotch guard because the interior color was not the color i originally wanted, and 5.0% financing. So I went with this dealer of course.

The intitial dealer called me and told me that i had to pay 5% of the car that I was going to buy. Is that true or was he just trying to scare me into not making the deal with the other dealership. I am afraid that I will have to pay this.

Thanks for any response
  • stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    The 5% threat sounds a bit like a strong arm tactic to me. But, I'm no contract lawyer, so I'm just guessing.

To find out what rights you have, the best advice might be to contact your state AG's office. In particular, you might enquire about your states Right to Rescind laws. Also, be sure to read all the fine print on any contract you signed.

Since it sounds like you already consummated the deal in good faith, a better approach might be to see just how amicable the first dealer is to renegotiating the deal. He/she might rather rework the numbers a bit rather then get involved in any nasty legal shoving match with the ultimate result of an unhappy customer.

Bottom line, you obviously thought your original deal was a fair one. It's unfortunate that a better one happened to pop up after the fact. But, you shouldn't be too upset if you have to live with it as it stands.

It reminds me once again of why I typically stop shopping once I've signed on the dotted line. The exception being when it's understood and in writing at the time of purchase that I have some period of time to find a better deal and the original seller will compensate me for any difference. A selling tactic used by many Appliance dealers.
    I understand what you are saying and it makes sense if ALL corn flake manufacturers do the same thing.

But if I negotiate an out-the-door price and then get hit with an advertising fee I'm walking. If they can pay their advertising bill with the numbers we've agreed on then fine.
    Of course advertising costs are built-in, but I don't like the idea of hidden or added costs after you agree on a set price. It's a sneaky way for them to pad profits while making you think you paid less than you actually did.

Now, if they disclose their add fee before you agree on price, then fine. Just be sure to add that to their price.

If they try to surprise you, get them back. Tell them you charge a "Putting up with dealer crap" fee for $400, to offset their surprise price padding. This of course after the price was agreed on.

If they say that's ridiculous, tell them "exactly".

-juice
    Or, you could say that you will leave on the dealership decal and license plate frame for four years and not pay the fee.

After all, that stuff on your car is "free" advertising for the dealer.
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    At what point is the Altima not attractive anymore? I want V6, leather and sunroof. A well equipped Altima can MSRP around $28,500. You can buy an Infiniti I35 for less than that. I'm not asking for to compare & contrast the Altima vs other cars. I'm wondering how many of you owners out there have a loaded 3.5SE; and, what made you decide to get it over, say, a Passat GLX or something. Thanks.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The Nissan does MSRP for $28,000+, and they were selling for close to MSRP when they first came out. Not now though. You might be able to score one for invoice+$100 or something like that. I still think they are overpriced for the way the interior looks in them, but that's my opinion only.
    I have a well-equipped 3.5SE. Manual transmission, cloth seats, but I did get the Bose system, ABS package, sunroof, xenon headlights, spoiler, floor mats, splash guards, and microfilter. MSRP was $26,500, and I paid $24,500 + tt&l and doc. fee.

IMHO, the Altima gets too expensive when you get into G35 territory, i.e. $28k+. From $24k to $28k, you have to decide whether you want the similarly-priced Maxima or the Altima. Prices are about the same because the Maxima is heavily discounted. I chose Altima for 4 main reasons:
    1) The Maxima wasn't available with a manual when I bought my Alty.
    2) Alty exterior looks better to me.
    3) The Maxima is going to be redesigned in a year or two, but the current Altima will be around for the next 4+ years.
    4) Altima has an independent rear suspension.

I think the Passat is too little engine for the money, but that's my opinion. I'd still choose the Altima over it even at the $28k MSRP price point.

Rumor has it that the interior quality of the Altima has improved in the last few months and will be further improved for '03. I know for a fact that there is better quality leather in the recently built Altys, for example. You might want to check out the Altima yourself and see what you think of the interior before writing it off. Maybe even wait for the '03 MY and see if Nissan improves it further.
    Thanks for the input. It will be 2003 anyway. I know the Altima has its strong selling points--I was just wondering when do you draw the line? Like I said, an Infiniti I35 can be had for under $27k. The Maxima can be bought at a great price, but that's only because it's all new next year. I agree with you, when you hit a selling price around $28k, it's time to move on to something else. We'll see what they are going for before writing it off for sure. Thanks!
    I35 doesn't have that indy rear from the Skyline. But the G35 has that (it is the Skyline basically) and RWD, so beyond $28k I'd look at that.

But even at a $28,500 MSRP, you're looking at $26k and change street price. You can't get a G35 with leather for that.

-juice
    I know a G35 will be way about 26. I'm less comcerned with performance, though. The I35 will be new for 2004 with RWD, I believe, so who knows what may happen in a year or so. Thanks again!
    I saw a G35 in person for the first time this weekend, on display at Montgomery Mall. I thought it was the ugliest thing I ever did see for some reason. I cannot get over the back end, yuck!
    I completely agree with you on getting a out the door price.
    This way you know exactly what the price is.
    No playing with the numbers or extra adds.
    Hey bud, we're neighbors then. I live in that zip code. In fact I saw the same car, on Tuesday. White, IIRC?

I don't like the rear view either. The coupe is much nicer looking, which is odd because they are kind of similar. I guess the coupe just got the details right. I like it better even than the Z.

I sat inside at the NY show, and it's roomy but the Altima actually has more space. I also didn't like the fake metal trim, the wood was nicer on the G (though I prefer the non-wood interior on the Altima).

Inside, the G is probably about where the Altima should be, i.e. nice not very luxurious.

-juice
    I live in Baltimore, but work in Lanham and frequently can be found in DC (good friend lives on Connecticut Avenue right past Chevy Chase circle). I am around DC more than Baltimore though.

This car in the mall was grey, not white.
    My memory's going bad, then. I'm sure I saw the same car.

-juice
    It was a darkish kinda grey. It was on the first level as well, but I can't remember by what store or anything. I know it was grey, and it was the "leather" model.

Maybe you are thinking of the Cadillac CTS they had. It was diamond white or something like that. That was the only white car I saw there though.
    I remember the leather because my wife looked at the seats. It was in the middle of the mall.

The CTS was near Nordstroms, and I'm sure you're right in that I'm mixing up the colors.

-juice
  • pham2001pham2001 Member Posts: 15
    Hi Everyone,

I plan to purchase a 2000 Altima SL automatic with options included.

ABS & Airbag Package, Cold Package, Floor matts
    In-Cabin Microfilter, Splash Guards, Sunroof.

Any one have an idea what would it cost?.

I live in Northern California.
    You mean 2002, right? I don't think they had an SL model back in 2000.

If so, about a couple hundred over invoice.

-juice
    Check Edmunds TMV on the Altima you want, then shoot for a few hundred below that.
  • carnut_robcarnut_rob Member Posts: 6
    I can't find anything good to use on my dashboard. I've tried Meguiars and Turtle Wax stuff and it doesn't do a good job. What do you all use?

Thanks,
    Rob
  • keyrowkeyrow Member Posts: 214
    I have used Lexol's Vinylex for years on several different makes with excellent results; by that I mean it has very good UV protection but does not produce an annoyingly shinny surface. Most Auto Parts stores carry it, or it can ordered on-line. You should be able to get a 16 oz. bottle for less than $10.00.
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    Armor All non-greasy formula. It does a great job and makes the plastic look more expensive.
    Altima scored a "Good" rating in the IIHS frontal offset crash tests. Check it out here: http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0211.htm
    I'm surprised, after the poor side crash tests (but those were NHTSA).

The site also has bumper basher tests, and the Altima got a "Marginal" on that one. That's for costs after fender benders, not safety related.

-juice
    I'm pleasantly surprised as well. I was expecting the worst after the NHTSA results came out.

Altima placed 3rd out of all the "inexpensive midsize" cars in the IIHS test. Camry was 1st and Subaru Legacy was 2nd. There's a link somewhere in that article I posted.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    The Altima does well, I think. That should ease the mind of buyers, though the side impact scores are enough to keep it off of my list.

Looks like it was tested twice, and didn't do well the first time because of the airbag problem. Interesting that the first test showed why Nissan had to retrofit the airbags. Doesn't give me total comfort in having to require a second try, but manufacturers have that right under the IIHS testing system.

Nowadays I don't think it's particularly difficult for a vehicle to score "Good" on the IIHS test. The parameters of the test are well known and manufacturers that spend the money on solid design and internal crash testing can get great scores. I find it more surprising when a new model does NOT earn a "Good!"

The Altima didn't quite perform well enough to earn a "Best Pick" designation. Thus the Camry (new and previous gen, interestingly enough) and older Legacy design still rank ahead of it, and we'll have to see where the next-gen Accord fits there as well. One thing I didn't like was the seat-tipping. That usually suggests some structure beginning to yield -- which could be more problematic in more severe conditions.

Nevertheless, it still did well, though Nissan needs to address the side impact issues after the NHTSA test. I'm sure Nissan is relieved!
    I think if you get the ABS and airbag packages, you're getting a pretty safe car. The NHTSA side impact test car did not have the side/side curtain air bags.

-juice
  • manimal79manimal79 Member Posts: 7
    Hi guys, thank you all for your inputs about the Altima. They have been quite informative. I am planning on buying a car within the next month or so and i have come down to three choices, and one of them is the 2002 Altima.

Anyway, I have some questions regarding the Altima:

1) To the owners of the 02 Altimas: are you satisfied with them? Why or why not? Have you encountered any problems? how is the feel of the car? on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being best, how would u rate it?

2) How reliable are these cars?

3) What is the resale value (residual) of the Altima?

Thanks in advance.
  • bigzheng17bigzheng17 Member Posts: 81
    I am suprised to see the poor bumper bash result for 02 altima. I know the bumper on pre-01 are pretty strong. last year i rented an 00 altima, and hit a concret stool in parking lot in order to avoid another car, i think i was going about 5-10 mph. i checked the front bumper, besides some uneven paint caused by the concret surface, there are not even a dent.
    "I think if you get the ABS and airbag packages, you're getting a pretty safe car. The NHTSA side impact test car did not have the side/side curtain air bags."

I suspect it's a pretty safe car too. However, there are vehicles that get 5-stars side impact even without side airbags. Given that the Altima's structure doesn't seem up to that particular type of impact, I'd rather wait for the NHTSA to perform the same test on a side-airbag-equipped Altima. There's obviously the chance that it won't improve the score significantly.
    True.

I didn't buy an Altima, BTW, we got a Legacy wagon (with pretty solid all around crash test scores).

-juice
    One thing that's nice about the Altima is the availability of side curtain airbags (I just wish its sedan-height side impact scores were better). So far Subaru has only put in head protection for front-seat 2003 Forester passengers (and they're not side curtains but multi-chambered side bags).

Granted that Subarus tend to do well in side-impact tests without the head protection, but those tests do not currently measure what happens when you get hit higher, like with an SUV or minivan. This is especially critical in sedans and coupes, where one's head is at a lower point. The NHTSA side test only simulates something the rough size of a Corolla banging into you, and nowdays there are a heck of a lot of SUV's and minivans on the road.

IIHS says it is working on a test where the side impact simulates a larger vehicle than what the NHTSA tests for. If they start those tests up, I'll bet that we'll see side curtains and other head protection devices appear pretty quickly. Like the Altima, the new Camry has them available too, and I can't imagine Honda releasing the next-gen Accord without them. Subaru will have to follow suit, though I hope it's not just with dual-chambered bags for front passengers only.
    Lots of factors affected my purchase, but in order I'd rank it like this: active safety (accident avoidance), safety cage/structures, and only then passive restraints.

So I'd pick the tougher safety cage before the air bags, personally.

Also, the full-time AWD, 4 channel ABS, 4 disc brakes with twin piston front calipers will hopefully allow us to avoid needing those. :-)

Plus, we got a wagon and that would force us into a too-pricey Pathfinder.

-juice
  • imprtlvrimprtlvr Member Posts: 38
    Hey all, I've got my choices down to two cars-Altima 3.5 and the VW Passat. In my opinion, the Passat is a classier car, and it certainly wins in my book on interior and build quality, and safety features/crash test scores. However, it is greatly underpowered compared to the 3.5 Altima. And the Altima has slightly more room inside. I know this is an Altima's owners board, but I just wanted some opinions.
    Thanks!
  • cnackcnack Member Posts: 7
    My 95 Altima has 88000 miles on it and the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT just came on last week. The car is running fine but after reading all the posts about check engine lights, I can see that this is a common problem with the 95-96 Altimas. I have checked to make sure the gas cap was on tight as suggested in other posts. My question: Is there anyway for me to check the computer problem code myself at home without paying a dealer $70 to hook it up to their diagnostic machine? I am on a tight budget so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • jmfreshourjmfreshour Member Posts: 57
    We have a 95 SE that had the same issue around that mileage. Turns out that it was an O2 sensor that had to be replaced. I think that it was about $150. Dealers usually don't charge the diagnostic fee if you get the car fixed at the same time that they do the diagnosis. As for doing it at home, unless you have the proper equipment, you're out of luck.
    Some shops offer to check the code for free, ask around at local places. It probably just needs a new oxygen sensor, about $70 aftermarket. Bosch makes 'em.

Altima or Passat? Two good choices. The Passat feels like a near-luxury car, over-engineered as it is. Price is higher than average, and the leather seats are hard, but there's not much to complain about.

The 3.5 SE has some torque steer and a clunky shifter, and some don't like the interior (it's OK to me), but again not much to complain about.

It's like ice cream: Rocky Road or Fudge Swirl, which do you prefer? Odds are you'll be happier if you pick the flavor you like best, not us.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.