Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    "... in order I'd rank it like this: active safety (accident avoidance), safety cage/structures, and only then passive restraints."

Understood, and appreciate the explanation. I think every buyer needs to make a personal decision and weigh what they want. In my own case, I don't try to rank them as much as I try to balance them. The reason is that I worry more about the accident I can't avoid -- e.g. getting t-boned at an intersection by a driver running a red light (hence my interest in side-impact crashworthiness and side curtain airbags), getting hit in general by a drunk driver, etc. Unfortunately, a great AWD system and great braking won't help in a lot of those cases, and you have to fall back on structure and passive devices.
  • bigzheng17bigzheng17 Member Posts: 81
    just wondering how is your subaru doing. i recently included legacy into my list, but not sure about it's reliability. also do you think the 165hp engine is good enough? compare to 175 in altima and 200 in accord v6, it's seems a little small.
  • implicitimplicit Member Posts: 41
    is happy with their purchase now. I certainly am! After seeing those crash tests scores I hope everyone can rest easy now. All the complaints about how light the car seems and its cheapness certainly doesn't pertain. My Altima is a 2.5S basically fully loaded with ABS and Air bag package, convienence package, bose, sunroof but no leather cause I don't care for it and would rather not have it.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    I second the O2 sensor. We have a 95 with 140k on it and the light has come on a couple of times. Both times was due to the sensor. I have my work done at a private shop, not at a dealer. Cost me about $120 +/- (I can't remember exactly).
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    To prevent being T-boned in an intersection, you just have to rely on excellent situational awareness, and that's up to the driver. Try riding a motorcycle and you learn that skill rather quickly!

The Legacy is fine, we did have the dealer lube the accelerator pedal, which seemed stiff, but otherwise it's been perfect. Experience with my '98 Forester (which I still have) says Subies hold up well.

165hp is fine, remember, even recently the top Altima offered 150 or so. Accord still has 150hp in this price range (V6 is way, WAY more than I paid), and Camry has 157. Altima is definitely the quickest here, but the wife seems to accumulate one speeding ticket every couple of years or so.

But it might have been the wagon bodystyle that sealed the deal. We could fit the stroller inside and still had room left to change a diaper behind it, all while under shelter from the rain. Plus you can fit a box about 4 times bigger, plus a roof rack expands capacity even further, there is no comparison.

-juice
  • ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    I don't know how many of you saw the actual Dateline crash tests but O'Neal noted that he wished many more manufacturers of mid priced cars would put the side air bags as an option as Nissan did with the Altima. Quite frankly, I thought the Altima would have done worse because of the cost cutting and the use of aluminum on the hood and trunk and engine.Now i hope the correct the interior and road noise for the 03 model
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Im interested to know why you would think that aluminum would be less able to manage crash forces. I also find it a bit strange that you would somehow correlate an aluminum block engine with a poorer crashworthiness. In any case, I agree with the IIHS statement that even in frontal crashes (severe ones), side head protection airbags should inflate to restrain dummy motion.. this seems like a no-brainer, so I wonder why we dont see more systems (in those vehicles so equipped)inflating in the IIHS test.
    ~alpha
  • bigzheng17bigzheng17 Member Posts: 81
    i really like the awd of subaru, but since i don't see a lot of them on street (at least not here), i got a bit worried about why people are not buying it. i'll probably transfer to a college in canada in one or two years from south u.s., so awd does look very nice.
    Isn't aluminum weaker then steel or iron? The last time I heard it was. I think it's more he inner structure and cage of the car that prevents the crash then the hood and engine.
    jz: people buy Outbacks, Legacys are almost invisible. *sigh*

It'll be interesting to see the new Murano, though it looks like prices will put it against high-end Highlanders.

-juice
    If my memory from structural analysis in college serves me right, steel (not an alloy or treated in a special manner) does NOT have the same strength as aluminum. The strength to weight ratio of aluminum is much higher than steel. The difficulty with aluminum is the welding/connection process. Audi has been able to work out a majority of the problems in co-operation with Alcoa. They use this technology on their A8. I believe they are also looking to let this technology trickle down to some of their other products. Probably to help in their pursuit of becoming a head to head competitor of BMW.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    In a flat 4-cylinder configuration by Subaru is smoooooooth!

I got to drive an 02 Forester at my last job and it had the smoothest 4 banger I had ever experienced.

Obi
  • cnackcnack Member Posts: 7
    Thanks jmfreshour and porknbeans for the suggestions. Sounds like I need to break down and spend some $ to get it fixed. :(
    Cool job, I'd love a company car! :-)

-juice
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I loved the days when I was an assistant fleet manager of an engineering company. I was all of 20 years old, and running around town in cars like Explorer Eddie Bauers and Volvos. I just knew I was hot stuff, having a different car every other day. Boy, I miss those days. :(
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    I WISH it was a company car, but I sold vehicles for an auto broker, so I experienced quite a few drives in cheap to exotic vehicles.

Cheapest New Test Drive: 2001 Toyota Echo :(
    Most Expensive New Car Test: 2001 Porsche Turbo :)

Obi
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    Alone as a metal I don't think Aluminum is stronger then steel. What makes it stronger is when it crumples. When the metal folds into its self it strengthens.
    Thank you, I stand corrected.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • sofla_stephensofla_stephen Member Posts: 1
    by a '00 Volvo C40, 20-30 mph. It ran a red and caught me from the rr wheel through mid-qtr panel. Boo-hoo!

$1,200 to repair. Only a wheel cover, knuckle, arm & nut are being replaced, plus Bondo?/Primer/Repaint the panel.

The repairs are not complete, but I agonized over fighting for a new panel. Did I do the right thing? TIA,
    That's a new car and you have the right to insist on OE parts. I'd push for a new panel.

Take a magnet to the finished product. If it's bondo, the magnet won't stick. I would not accept this on a brand new Altima.

If you have to, get your insurance company involved because they have lawyers that will protect you. My guess is if you even threaten to hire a lawyer they will quickly come to their senses.

-juice
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I agree with Juice. You should insist on a new OEM panel. Bondo and repainting will lower your trade-in value in the future.
    I know if I put a magnet to the car and it didn't stick, then I would not be buying the car. That's a clue of a cheap fix. Do NOT let them do that to you! Also check about something called adjusted market value or something like that. Since your car is so new, they might give you some money because the value of your car was instantly lowered when it was hit. Check with your insurance company about it.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Our '01 Gxe makes a strange noise when accelerating lately, like a sewing machine and it gets louder as the speed increases, then gets softer as the car settles into 4th gear. When you hit the accelerator, you still hear it. Any suggestions? The car only has just over 27k on it. Sounds like the alternator or something but all the electrical stuff works fine. Help!!
    Tia all for any help.

The Sandman
  • stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    You could have a bearing going and still have everything work fine. Here's a longshot to look at, check the power steering fluid level. I've had cars in the past that make a noise similiar to what you describe if the level gets a little low. It's usually, but not always at least at first, accompanied by a slightly squirmy feel to the steering in the left and right fully locked position. Just a thought.
    thanks, the steering seems just fine. Made an appointment online 2 bring the car in next week so we'll see. Only have about 85k left until warranty ends.
    What is Bondo? A while back someone said he rented an Altima in North Carolina? Which rental company carries the 02 Altima?
    I rented an Altima (a 2001 model, though) in Maryland from Budget rental cars. They have them here, as well as Maxima SEs. The Altima was a 2001 GXE model.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    A plastic-based body filler meant for very thin applications in filling out dents. Unfortunately, some body shops may slather it on up to 1/4" thick, a real "no-no."
    In my earlier post, I meant that I've still got about 8.5k on my original 3/36k warranty, my fingers were all screwy this mornin'!
    Checked the car when the wife got home earlier, she turned steering wheel from side to side and no noise, only when accelerating, either going straight or making turns. We'll have to wait till next week. Thanks again.

The Sandman
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I don't live in North Carolina, but I don't stay far from there. I live in Union, South Carolina, and last week I was up in Greenville, South Carolina. I went buy Budget Rent-a-Car I believe, and they had a lot FULL of 2001 Altimas as well as 2002 Altimas and Maximas for rent and for sale. I am tempted to rent a 2002 Altima or Maxima just to drive down to Atlanta soon. I'd like to drive one for the weekend.
    When you are near Budget again check out the price
    for a used 2002 Altima. I know they are base models. I just want to know what's the spread between a new and used.
    Go to http://www.budgetcarsales.com and check on the prices of their used cars yourself. I found the website while playing around, didn't even know it existed. Good luck.
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    I took my car to the dealer to complain about the wind noise coming from the sunroof - even though I didn't think it was too bad, I read on the board somewhere about this. I went because I had to get a new blower fan (it started shrieking on me) and a new airbag module (a common problem these days).

Anyway, the difference in the wind noise after they put the new sunroof in is like night and day. My car is much quieter now. Before I could notice a big difference in the noise when I opened the sunshade as opposed to keeping it closed. Now there is no difference, it's quiet through and through.
    Thanks for the tip about the sunroof. The sunroof in my Altima also makes quite a bit of noise and I was thinking about taking it in for them to look at. What did the dealer do to fix your problem?
  • mike1qazmike1qaz Member Posts: 93
    My son has a 95 Altima w/160k and his cel light came on at about 120k. There is a rotary switch behind the lower panel by your right foot that if used will cause your error code to be displayed by blinking the cel light in a pattern. If you have a Haynes (or any other repair) manual, the error codes tell you the meaning and what to check. You can also clear the error after reading it to see if it will return or if it was intermittent. I cleared my sons and it hasn't returned in 40k miles. If it does return, then repair may be in order. But at least you know the code when talking to your mechanic.
    I have been seeing alot more Altima arond lately. How are the sales figures compared to what Nissan projected for this car? Just curious. Thanks.

Oh, did they do anything to the interior of them yet? Someone a bunch of posts back said something about the price of the car going up like $200, and they thought that money might be used to fix up the interior a bit. Also, anything on the horizon in that respect for the 2003 models? Thanks again.
    The Altima is selling well ahead of Nissan's expectations. I believe before they went on sale, Nissan was hoping for 170-180k Altimas to be sold this year. For the last 3 months, ~19k Altimas have been sold per month, which translates to 230k per year.

As for the interior, I've heard that newer models include better quality leather and more substantial center consoles. There are also supposed to be some minor improvements for the '03 model year.
    Thanks for your response.

Another question to that person who was T-boned in their Altima. Did you ever get it straightened out yet? Just curious. I hope you did not let them put Bond-O on your car!
    I think they replaced the sunroof assembly (whatever that means). I looked at the cost - it was a $650 job. Covered under warranty of course.

Much quieter highway ride. Enjoy!
  • phillyguy3phillyguy3 Member Posts: 88
    The 2.5SL which comes with leather interior has already changed for 02's. The old perforated leather has been replced by the solid leather in models produced in Mid-May and thereafter. As for further changes in 03's, there will be some additional changes but Nissan is keeping this under wraps until most 02's are gone.
    I was made aware of this when I placed my order last week for the 02 with the new leather.
    Turns out the idler pulley went out on the Altim but it's covered by warranty. Let's hope they fixed it right and that annoying noise is gone!
    BTW, what is an idler pulley?

The Sandman
  • pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    This was posted on freshalloy about the 2003 Altima:

Trim Level
    * 2.5 SL trim level is a new package (2.5 SL Package)

Mechanical Feature
    * Improved 3.5-liter V6 engine (3.5 SE)
    - Horsepower increased

Exterior Features
    * Two new colors available:
    - Sonoma Sunset
    - Crystal Blue
    * Nouveau Ruby and Opal Blue Metallic no longer available

Interior Features
    * Rear coat hooks
    * Padded, cloth cover on front center armrest
    (leather on leather-equipped models)
    * Bright titanium-tinted interior accent colors
    * Improved texture quality on specific interior pieces
    * New charcoal-color seat fabric
    I was on the net checking prices in the Baltimore area for the heck of it, and I found the Altimas going for near or over sticker price at Fitzgerald Auto Mall (http://www.fitzmall.com). I was totally shocked. What are experiences with prices here? Just wondering if this car really is selling close to MSRP or not.
    I bought my Altima back in December, but even back then I got it for $500 above invoice. I would guess they are selling for about the same amount now. Check CarsDirect and see what kind of prices they offer; I'll bet they're somewhere around $500-$1000 over invoice.

On a completely unrelated note, I took my car in this morning to have the airbag sensor recall done. It took only 45 minutes to get it done, just enough time for a nice breakfast at the cafe next door. I wasn't even late for work.
    Check carmax.com ...

it looks like they are selling them from 200 under invoice to 300 over invoice.
  • phillyguy3phillyguy3 Member Posts: 88
    My wife's 2.5SL just came in. It is equiped with Continental All Season tires. I noticed some 2.5's on the dealers lot had Bridgestone Turanzas. Anyone had experience with either of these tires? How would you rate them for noise,comfort,traction,handling? I have a few days left for delivery and could ask the dealer to swap them if justified.
    Thanks.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Of these two tires alone, I would go with the Turanzas if you have a choice. The Contis are not awful, but their quality control [runout either laterally or vertically] can sometimes be spotty. And they will wear faster than the BS...
    Is anyone reading this page?
This discussion has been closed.