Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Awesome link- thanks! Nissan seems to do a great job of PR for the ACTUAL public (as opposed to just the press). Do you happen to know if Toyota or Honda have sites similar in purpose to this one?
    ~alpha
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I have no idea whether Honda and Toyota have sites like those. I also like Nissan's approach of giving public access to their press site. There's a lot of good information there, and it's not as marketing-intense as the main NissanDriven website.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Honda has a website for changes to different models, and news, but no news on the new Accord. The website is Hondanews.com
  • ecarmackecarmack Member Posts: 161
    Anyone buying Altimas out there?
  • kossmankossman Member Posts: 8
    I am about to buy a new 2002 SE. I have the deal all worked out except for the color (Black or Silver). I need to decide by tommorow. Any thoughts? thanks
    Personally I like black, especially on the Altima. Silver is okay, but you see it everywhere now, just like green a few years ago. Yes, a black car gets hotter in the sun, and it will show dirt and scratches more than the lighter colors. Black will help to hide any deep scratches you get on the bumpers. For safety, I guess silver is more difficult to see on the road.

What other cars were on your shopping list? Was the Maxima one of them? If it was, what swayed you to choose the Altima. With both of them in the same price range, I find it interesting why people choose one or the other.

Good luck closing your deal, and enjoy your new Altima!
    I choose the Altima over the Maxima because of 2 reasons 1) the Altima is a brand new design (which I personally like better than the Maxima) 2) the Maxima will be all-new next year and I would not want to have an outdated car so soon.
    I understand completely. I have not driven an Altima or Maxima in quite awhile, and never back to back. I sat in them both recently on a lot. I could live with the older design of the Maxima, but the deciding factors for me would be the better suspension, and the additional leg room in the Altima. I'll have to drive them back to back to decide for sure. I am in no hurry, so maybe the upgraded interior in the 2003 Altima, and additional suspension tweaks would help to make up my mind.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Did anyone watch it last night? I caught the first few minutes of the show.

Something about low-speed airbag deployment, faulty deployment etc - with over 25 people partly or totally blind as a result, all in cases where they should have been able to walk away unscathed. I didn't get a chance to see Nissan's response, but anyone that owns a 94 or early 95 Altima should be concerned.

Thought I'd bring that up. Perhaps someone can find the dateline article links etc.
    I have a silver Altima and I think it looks great. I chose it over black mostly for the easier maintenance. It's easier to keep clean, and it doesn't show scratches and such as much as black. I think black looks better IF it's clean, but with my typical wash-every-three-weeks schedule, silver works better for me.

Then again, as ecarmack pointed out, silver is the new "hot" color and you'll see yourself coming and going everywhere. That's something to consider if that type of thing bothers you.
  • acmeroadrunnracmeroadrunnr Member Posts: 81
    i got the black -all options except the xenor lights. it's tough to keep clean but it does look great when it is.
  • collegepro04collegepro04 Member Posts: 3
    Hey all- I'm new to this board and thought I'd pose a question. My girlfriend's younger sister is looking for a new car to replace her battered 1994 Grand Prix. I'm a stedfast fan of Japanese cars (I own a Mitsubishi Mirage LS Coupe, my mom has a Galant ES V6 at my urging, and if I can help it, the GF will be driving Mitsu soon enough). However, I've found a 1996 Nissan Altima GXE with 77K on it, Auto, tilt- all the standard stuff, for around six grand. Any input on whether we should go with this seemingly well maintained Nissan, or if I should have her buy a 95 Galant ES for a grand less with the same miles. Ideas, moans/groans? Thanks in advance all!
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Some guys at work had the previous generation Galants and all said the car was awful. They couldn't wait till the leases ended to dump those puppies. On the other hand, down here in south florida, I see a lot of that generation of Altima's on the streets. We also have a 2001 Altima and it's been quite good, considering I'm a diehard Toyotaist.
    Just one mans opinion!

The Sandman :-)
  • brooksterbrookster Member Posts: 1
    While I don't know much about the Mitsubishis, I have a '94 Altima that I bought used in '97 with 21,000 miles on it. Now I have 187,000 miles on it and never had a problem with it - just the usual maintenance, oil change every 3000 miles, exhaust, tires, etc. I'm from near Buffalo, NY and it's driven through lots of snow and bad weather with no problem. Just beginning to show rust. Get one at a good price and it will pay for itself. Now looking for a new 2002 Altima to keep the tradition going.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Just in case an of you are curious, the 2003 Accord 4-cyl has 160hp, and the V-6 model has 240hp to match the 2002 Altima. A full article and pics can be seen here, at a small site I started:

http://community.webshots.com/album/44150265fKlFcS

Looks like Nissan got word and upped the Altima's V-6 horses!

The Honda still cant match the Nissan where it counts (Torque) 212 vs 246. Besides the Honda is still bland and ugly. Nice try Honda maybe another 4-5 years you will get it right.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    There is more to a car than horsepower and torque. You may be right in the Accord not matching the Altimas torque, but that doesn't mean that they don't have it right. They have been at or near the top in sales for the last 10 years. You don't get that way by doing it wrong. The exterior styling on the Altima may be more attractive, but I know the interior has left many cold. The exterior of the Accord may not turn as many heads, but I'm willing to bet the interior will be very good. Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge on numbers alone, but wait until the Accord is in the dealers so we can actually get out and kick some tires.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    Yeah, I still think it's a B-O-R-I-N-G tin can of a car, but it has a quite faithful following. That, and the interior is supposed to be top-notch, with a lot of concentration and design going into it. But, as ususal, it's just like any other Honda that comes out. People always think "it has to be the best", rush to the dealers, get put on waiting lists, pay outrageous prices, and the stuck-up dealer suck it all in.

If I were in the market for a sedan right now, I'd really look into an Altima, before ever going to Honda. It's my opinion, but I'd rather go blasting by some old gramp in his Accord in a plain fast new SE-V6, cheap interior and all!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I sat in a 2002 Altima today for the second time. The plastics on the dash (it was a 2.5S) didn't seem as cheesy as the first 2002 Altima SE's I sat in. Pretty cool ride actually. I was going to test drive one for the heck of it, but they only had stick shifts, and I can't drive one. :(
    I'm in the same boat! I've never driven a stick and am not 100% how to correctly. I do have the basic idea and have asked about it many times, but never got around to trying it out. But, of course, I don't think I'd want to "try" on a nice new car!
  • keyrowkeyrow Member Posts: 214
    "They [Honda] have been at or near the top in sales for the last 10 years. You don't get that way by doing it wrong." Sure you can; it's very easy. Just ask any politician . . . NEVER underestimate the publics' ignorance. How do you think Clinton got elected, TWICE??? Mass appeal has NO relationship to quality. Mercedes reduced their QA to save a few bucks (errr . . . Marks . . . errrr . . . Euros) yet people still line up to buy an inferior (compared to previous years) product. I would still take the Altima over an Accord any day, even if the interior does need better quality materials.
  • wolverine_xwolverine_x Member Posts: 54
    "Mass appeal has no relationship to quality". But why are Accords bestsellers anyway? Leading to their mass appeal. How did they get there? Certainly it is not the formula that Nissan used up to now.

Accords may have lagged in the HP, Torque race but there is no car in its category that runs smoother, more efficiently, and runs forever than an accord.

they may be bland but I bet 5 years from now, a 1997 accord will look sleeker than a 2002 Altima.

Maybe its just me but I like to see a car which is done just right in every aspect. Size, Power, Interior quality and ergonomics, efficiency, reliability and refinement. Can an Altima have all those? Hmmm, I am not sure....But I am sure the Accord especially the 2003 can.
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    Well,they are all kind of cars out there
    choose the one you like.
    I am thinking about the new altima 4 cyl a/t
    How is the power? does the car get up and go
    at a decent rate? the car look big, when you drive the car does if feel that big ei,parking at the mall things like that.
    greetings from sunny Miami.
    "Accords may have lagged in the HP, Torque race but there is no car in its category that runs smoother, more efficiently, and runs forever than an accord."

We have been averaging near 30MPG in a mix of city/highway in our 02 Camry, which provides responsive acceleration, and I think it was CR that said the Camry 4 was the smoothest 4 they've tested. I was also impressed by the Altima's 2.5 engine when I test drove it... pretty refined for such a large and powerful engine, though I dont know about fuel milage. I can't comment on durability (with only 10K on our car), but maintained well, most any engine can edure. (Except of course, given my luck, the POS 1.5L in my 94 Civic). In anycase- I dont think your assertion is correct (and if anything, it barely makes sense gramatically). The Altima 4 and especially the Camry 4 rival if not better the Accord 4.

~alpha
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I rented one this weekend for a trip to Tampa and all I can say is, WOW! This car is incredible in every aspect of driving. It held 5 of us with luggage in comfort and cruised like a champ on the interstate. Milage was very impressive also. Compared to our '01 Altima, there is no comparison! Hate to give it back tomorrow, really.
    I hope the new Accord is something special, it needs to be! The spy picture I saw does look very cool though.

The Sandman :-)
    The Altima 4 should have plenty of power. I have never driven one, but the press says the Altima 4 is the quickest 4 out there. They do say, however, it's not the most refined. Like I said though, I have not driven one so don't have any opinions.

I have heard the Camry's crash performance was a bit low, and that would shy me away from the car.
    You should have a car to an empty parking lot and try driving a stick shift, from what I am told. I tried driving on the street once in a pickup truck, but stalled 23 times! :) I counted, it was 23. I was letting the clutch out quickly though, and was told recently by my manager at work that you are supposed to ease it out. Maybe I will try again with a clutch.

I would like to have a stick shift, but no one else in the house can drive a stick shift. If I learn, it will be cool, but if I have an emergency, then no one else will be able to drive my car.
  • jopopsyjopopsy Member Posts: 65
    Hello. Figured I'd start a thread to discuss in detail the impressions/reviews of folks who have driven the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder variety of the Altima. For the enthusiast, I'd imagine the 6 cylinder w/ the manual tranny is the pick of choice, however for the every day commuter how does the 4 cylinder w/ the auto tranny compare?
    I would love to have the 3.5SE, but I can't afford that much for a car. :) I would be satisfied with the 4 I think, especially since I commute ~100 miles a day for work.
    I own the 3.5 manual transmission and test-drove the 4-cylinder auto while I was shopping. For everyday driving, the 4-cylinder is sufficient. It's not pin-you-in-your-seat fast, but it has enough to get you onto the highway without worries, even with several passengers in the car. I have read that the 4-cylinder handles a bit better than the V6 because of the lighter weight, but I didn't get that impression from my short 15-minute test drive.

I chose the manual V6 combo because the car is much more fun with that powertrain. It's also my only car, so I don't have the luxury of having a second "fun" car to drive on the weekends. My best advice would be for you to test drive both and see what you think you can live with.
    You are right, the Altima is a big car. The turning circle is pretty large, so parking lot maneuverability can be a problem. However, my previous car was a small sport coupe, so my viewpoint might be a little skewed.

On the road handling is good. There is very little body roll and the suspension does a good job of keeping everything in check. The car feels pretty light despite its large size.
  • schweikbschweikb Member Posts: 111
    I don't know if anyone else has the same problem (or cares) - the front doors on my 2.5S have to be pushed way out unitl they're fully opened or they just swing shut. Other cars I've owned have two detents in the door hinge mechanism so you can keep the doors open half-way or all they way (depending on the amount of space next to you in the supermarket lot).
    With the new Altima, the door is either loose as a goose or way the heck out there. I do like the way the door stop hardware looks, kind of aircraft/hi-tech.
    Another strange thing is the gas filler - I find I have to keep the nozzle at just the right angle or inserted to just the right depth or it keeps clicking off. Very fussy!
    Overall I like the car - been averaging 27 mpg mixed driving with the 4 cyl and auto.
    You asked "But why are Accords bestsellers anyway? " and the answer is because people believe that they are reliable and will last forever. However, this is not true, Hondas do break. My 2k Accord EX was no where near the dream many hondaphiles report them as being. Glad to own an Altima SE.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    Maybe, it wasn't just the car ..............
  • wolverine_xwolverine_x Member Posts: 54
    definitely it wasn't just the car.
    Hondaphiles just can't stand to hear from an ex-honda owner who moved onto another manufacturer. I can support my statements through almost three years of ownership experience. The Accord started out great, but after 30k miles things quickly started to deteriate, the Honda Accord is just a so, so boring car that does break and not what you dreamers post it to be. Once again, check the many unhappy consumers in the Accord Maint & Rep forum.
  • ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    I had the same problem with a Toyota Camry. Everyone raved about its durability but I had Tons of Problems:tranny,timing belt,engine block, rack & pinion etc, etc.However, I still think Toyota makes reliable cars as well as Honda and to some extent Nissan.
  • phillyguy3phillyguy3 Member Posts: 88
    There is no such thing. If there was, it would wipe everything else off the market. I have had Hondas, Nissans, & Toyotas and ,with rare exceptions, have been satisfied with all. I now own a 2.5SL (3 weeks) and a Honda CR-V (2 weeks). Since this is an Altima thread, I will only report on the 2.5SL. This car ,for size,room ,comfort,power,features is IMO,the "Best in Class". Yes, it has shortcomings--cheap interior parts, wide turning radius only serious ones-- but as I stated,nothing is perfect. I would have waited til "03's were out,but my lease was up and I didn't want to extend. Besides, my wife loves her Altima and she gets lots of compliments,even from some of our ritzy friends with Lexuses ,BMW's and Audis. We took it on a nice trip to Baltimore Harbor and it performed very well.The suspension needs to be fine tuned somewhat to absorb bumps better,but that's it. Keep you posted.
    I live about 10 blocks from the Baltimore Harbor. With these bad roads around here, no kind of suspension tuning will help! :)
    Honda is not the only car and that is my exact point. In 1990 I bought a new Stanza and my niece is driving it today, it has never had any problems (timing belt still stock) and it runs great. I believe Nissan is probably the most underated of all car manufacturers. I couyld go on about the great (?) resale value of my 2k accord ex when I traded it in, what a joke.
    Check out Edmunds' long-term update for the Altima this month. They do a little back-to-back comparison between the Altima and the new Accord. Click the link to see which car Edmunds would pick:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/longterm/articles/48980/page006.html
    My friend has a 1997 Sentra GXE with about 120K on it, and he seems to have alot of problems with the car. The airbag light has come on several times, and he got it serviced. Also, the check engine light always goes on and off, and has for the past 3 years or so. He is really disappointed in the quality of the car, he said. I was surprised, I thought Nissan to be a pretty good car too.

Also, when you trade a fairly new car, it's going to lose a good chunk of value. If the car is less than 3 years old, consider selling it yourself. That way, you make more money. It's more of a hassle, but it might be worth it in the end.
    Warning lights dont mean its an unreliable vehicle. The check engine light could be due to very simple things, such as a loose fuel cap. And if he put on over 20K in about 6 years- a warning light here and there is NOTHING. Get real.
    ~alpha
  • justinxinjustinxin Member Posts: 1
    hi, i just bought a 94 altima. everything good till i drove it yesterday. i was driving at 5 miles speed. the engine suddenly stopped to work. and then i could not start the engine. the emission check, oil check, battery check lights all went on. but if i pressed the accelarator hard while i turned the ignition, the engine worked again. but it would not take long time till it went down once more.
    i do not know what the hell is wrong. any buddy help me ?
    thanks
    That is not my opinion, that's my friend's. Also, I think it's funny because his dashboard lights go up and down automatically now, and his door lock and unlock themselves when when no one's in the car. His starter and battery failed (but they are connected, so that's expected). He has gone through alot of brakes too, but that's his driving habits more I think. And the engine either leaks or burns oil (we don't know which one yet).

I don't know what he's complaining about, he beats the hell out of the car, changes the oil like every 6k or so (when he remembers), and it still runs. He should be happy.
  • cjileongcjileong Member Posts: 9
    Okay, so this is what I meant to post in that separate discussion, but I guess it really doesn't matter...anyway, I was thinking about the Altima the other day, and I figured that there's a redundancy IMO in the naming of the new Altima. Let's start with this:

2.5 S
    2.5 SL
    3.5 SE

Disregarding the base 2.5 (of which I still haven't seen one, and frankly hope I never do...), that leaves us with the 2.5 S, the 2.5 SL, and the 3.5 SE, the 2.5 designating the 4-cylinder engine, and the 3.5 for the new V6. However, doesn't this seem slightly redundant? The S, the SL, and the SE all have different letter designations, so it's not like the three trims could be easily confused with each other. Furthermore, because each one is keyed to either the 4 or the 6, even more so you couldn't confuse them, because it's not like there's a 4-cylinder SE, or vice versa with the others. The S and the SL will always be 4-cylinder models, and the SE will always be the V6 (well, until further notice anyway...)

And a second point I thought about. The trim level for the top car is 3.5 SE, although on the car, the badging reads 3.5 SE V6. As we know, the 3.5 IS the V6, and so it seems slightly redundant for them to put all this lettering/badging on the car all at once. Therefore, they could cancel either of these out and you would still know what car you were talking about. Or even better, combine it with my first point and remove all the badging entirely and just call it the Altima SE!

I dunno. This was just a random thought. Comments welcome...I just personally think things would be a lot simpler if you could just call your car Altima S or Altima SL or Altima SE.
  • keyrowkeyrow Member Posts: 214
    The reason is humanity's exaggerated interest in one's status. Why do some Camry owners buy an italic "L" to paste on their cars? Why do Mercedes 430 S Class owners go into their parts department to purchase the "600" designator as a replacement for the "430" on the back of their cars? It's all EGO!

Nissan, and every other auto manufacturer as well, is only catering to the majority of their customers' wishes, however strange that may be. MHO
  • mcbain4mcbain4 Member Posts: 3
    Went to the dealership this weekend. Im looking for an SL with the ABS / Side airbag package, but they had none. In fact, the salesman said that the package was hard to come by, and they only had it on one car, a loaded $29k SE. Anyone have the ABS on an S or SL? I was ready to buy, but without ABS no deal.
    I just noticed yesterday that Nissan now has an inventory listing on their website (www.NissanDriven.com). If you enter your zip code and then configure an Altima, it will show you the dealers with the closest matches in inventory to what you have specified. Seems like that could help you locate a 4-cylinder with ABS in your area. Check it out.
  • mcbain4mcbain4 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, I checked is out and I did find an LS with ABS at one of the four dealers in my area, unfortunately not one of the colors I like. I'll keep checking back though. I was surprised that these were so rare, I though ABS was pretty standard now.
This discussion has been closed.