Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    The QR25DE engine used in 2002+ Altimas has a timing chain. I'm not sure about previous models.
  • aitchpee44aitchpee44 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks corvette, I was referring to the 2005 models only. A timing chain sounds much better than a timing belt.
  • driveforfundriveforfun Member Posts: 1
    I'm assuming regular, but I think I will put in super anyways because I am paranoid. What does everybody else use?
    If you're paranoid, you might fill up with premium (which contains more detergents) at every oil change, otherwise I'd use regular. I've never put premium in mine and it's still going at 3 years and 48,000 miles.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    nothing to be paranoid about. the engine is DESIGNED to use regular. using anything else is a waste of money.
  • babe915babe915 Member Posts: 34
    amazing,I am trying to buy a 05 se with side air bags & curtains dealer checked inventory in all
    of florida and georgia [i live in fla] not one available. I gave them a choice of 4 colors so far and not one exists! Goes to show you nissan
    cares more about performance than safety.plus if
    you want tcs it only comes with the air bag package. it is a 800$ extra but i am willing to pay it. I have to order car from factory to get what i want according to the dealer. anyone had
    this situation
    As you are discovering, "optional" doesn't mean "available." I bought my used 2002 Altima on eBay, and at the time it was one of about 15 or 20 which had the side bags and ABS. That was why I chose it. There was also one 2002 Camry that had them, out of about 30. Be careful doing this, a lot of the dealers just check off features without determining whether or not the car has them. The Altima is built in Tennessee, so if you order a car it shouldn't take very long to get it.
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    This is exactly the reason I bought a Mazda 6s on Thursday.

I like the Altima a lot, but in the past four months I found exactly one Altima S in Central Florida that had the ABS/side curtain combo. And, believe it or not, it was black. Not a great color for FL.

That ABS is not standard on this car is a serious oversight, and if Nissan doesn't start getting serious about offering safety equipment, its current hot streak will slow. Honda is putting side curtains standard on all its Accords for 05, and Mazda is putting them in most of the 05 6s.
    ramped,

How does the 6s compare to the Altima?

BTW, to add insult to injury, the Malibu LT has the side bags standard for 2005. I wish Honda and others would put stability control on its cars as well as trucks. The "mainstream" carmakers are really catching up with the premium ones like BMW and Mercedes on safety features.
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    Corvette: I did not test drive an Altima SE, so I can't comment on a direct Altima SE to Mazda 6s comparison other than to say the seats of the Altimas I drove (all cloth interiors) felt a little more comfortable than the Mazda 6 cloth seats.

I did own a '92 Maxima SE with a VQ engine and independent suspension, which is similar to the Altima SE's. The Nissan V-6 has a broader torque band and is probably a better all-around engine than the Mazda V-6, which doesn't have much low end torque but winds out beautifully over 3,000 RPMs.

The Altima S's I drove (two of them) seemed to have excellent acceleration for 4-cylinders and are quicker than the Mazda 6i (the 4-cylinder version of the 6).

The Mazda is a much more "tossable" car, more responsive to steering input than the Altima. The 6 is also a slightly smaller car.

The interior materials quality of the cars is about equal. Honestly, I'm not crazy about either one as they are not comparable with the Accords' and Camrys' interior materials. But, the Altima/6 interiors are attractively styled.

The 6s I purchased is a color called Pebble Ash (a metallic champagne color) that I have not seen on another MZ6 sports-package equipped car. I was a little apprehensive before I saw it, but it is a striking-looking car. I've had tons of compliments on it from the moment I brought it home. The Altima SE-V6 is a good looking car too, IMHO. Styling, of course, is subjective. The reason I didn't buy and Accord sedan is because I didn't like the styling of the rear.

The Altima has the edge in interior room, resale value and engine power. The MZ6 is probably more fun to drive (IMHO), is a better value after rebates are taken into consideration, is more unique (I have never seen one that looks like mine) and offers a longer warranty (4/50,000).

The reason I went with the MZ6, as I stated above, was that it was much easier to find one equipped with the safety equipment I wanted (ABS, side curtain airbags, traction control).

Hope this helped.
  • eddieeeddiee Member Posts: 25
    We just bought a 2005 Altima S with the T01 (ABS and Side Airbag Pkg), as well as G01 Convenience Plus.
    We were going to buy a 2005 Toyota Camry SE which we preferred but couldn't get them to build one with Side Curtain Airbags. We waited 2 months and the order kept getting rejected. This is another case of "optional" vs "available" as mentioned in a previous post.
    We didn't have any problems with the Altima S however. I had read that they make something like 40% with the Side Airbag Pkg.

Can others confirm that the Side airbags and front and rear head curtain airbags are always combined. They are described separately as features at the Nissan website but everywhere I have seen them referenced, the 'side' and 'curtain' bags are always referenced together. There's no such option as just 'side airbags' without the 'front and rear head curtain airbags', is there? I don't think the salesman understood this. He said that the Altimas had side airbags but not side curtain airbags which were only available in the SE.

Also, has there been a followup side crash test with the Altima since the 2004's were tested without side airbags? I am assuming that they would be better now with side airbags but I can't find any followup test. The side crash results were Poor without side airbags on the 2004's.
    on some vehicles, the side-curtains are standard without the seat-mounted side airbags.

the altima 3.5SL is one of these. the curtains are standard, but you must still add the side bags.

the quest is the same way.
    In 2002, the only way to get side airbags was the "ABS and Side Airbag package" which included curtains and seat-mounted bags. I think this was true through 2004, but in 2005? the SE includes curtains but no seat-mounted bags.
    the 3.5 SE and SL include curtains.

the 2.5 S and SL do not. they are together with the side bags.
  • lonecrowlonecrow Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering buying 2005 Altima 3.5 SL with below option.

(Base model MSRP : 26,950 Invoice : $24925)
    - Protection package $59
    - TCS/Side Airbags package $694
    - Side sill & rear splash guard $247
    - Carpeted floor/trunk mat set $112

So total invoice is $25,597(including desti charge).
    I'm now in Seattle, WA.

What is good price range?

And I'm also considering 2005 Toyota Solara SLE V6 with some option mainly installed instead of Altima. I got a offer $25,933 from a dealer. Solara's option is below.

(base model MSRP : $26,095 Invoice : 22,702)
    - Curtain side Airbags $344
    - Rear Spoiler $160
    - Vehicle Stability control $559
    - Glass breakage sensor $109
    - Carpet/Cargo mat set $112
    So total invoice(including desti charge and TDA $545, Dealer Holdback $521, WHSL financial Reserve $260 and gas)is $25,833. But is it necessary for me to pay for TDA, Dealer Holdback etc? I really want to know above offer is very good?

Friends, Would you help me?

Eric
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    The invoice price includes things like dealer holdback so the dealer can sell the car at invoice price and still make a reasonable profit. I think if you can get either car at the invoice price that Edmund's shows, you're doing OK. If the demand is high for a particular model, then the dealer may not go down to invoice price. When you're spending $25,000, a couple hundred one way or the other isn't that big a deal.
  • negativexnegativex Member Posts: 2
    Altima all the wayyyyyyy
  • lonecrowlonecrow Member Posts: 3
    Thank you very much, lmacmil.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Anyone know if the 2005 3.5 SE is a quiet car to drive? Much vibration, harshness, road or wind noise at highway cruising speeds?

Thanks.
    Vibration and harshness are nearly nonexistant. Not a lot of wind noise, either. There may be some road noise from the tires, OEM tires are generally not the greatest in that regard (on any car). Some such as myself have added sound deadening (Dynamat) to the doors and trunk to help quiet the noise. My 2.5 S is not Lexus quiet, but with the Dynamat, it comes close. The most important thing is to drive one at highway cruising speeds, and see what you think!
  • flfungirlflfungirl Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know if Nismo has racing pedals for the '05 Altima M/T? I checked Ebay and I found some that were made through '04...do you think those will fit or should I not take a chance?

Even if they aren't Nismo are there any pedals made for the 2005?
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    What kind of mpg are owners getting with the 2.5S (4-cylinder)?
         Is it hard to find the 2.5S with ABS and Side Airbags?
         Can one order a 2.5S with ABS and Bags?
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I get about 27 mpg with mixed driving on around Clemson University.

As far as ABS, yes it is HARD to find a 2.5S with ABS.

And yes, you can order an Altima to get ABS.
    I HIGHLY recommend ordering one with ABS.
    17-19 mpg, city only; 26+ on the highway with automatic.
  • zoomzoom1zoomzoom1 Member Posts: 7
    Wasn't hard for me to find a 2.5s with ABS and the extra air bags. The wait was just over a week.

I'm getting about 11.3 L/100km in the city according to the computer.
    When I looked at the 05s, which was like March, I couldn't find a 2.5S model with ABS.

However, I did notice after about two months that ABS models were easier to find, but most of them didn't have the options I wanted.

Most of the ABS models had NO options...but it is probably different now.
    May be different in Canada? I was told I would have to order one if I wanted one that way, when I was shopping in fall of 2003. Eventually found a used one on eBay with the side balloons and ABS...
    My bad...I am surprised that ABS isn't standard on the Altima up there..considering the snow and all.
  • brihambriham Member Posts: 33
    Can the top-line Altima hang with the RX8? I'm leaning toward the RX8 but like that the Altima is bigger. However I do not want to sacrifice performance.

Here is a video of an RX8 all out at the Laguna Seca track. I'd love to see a side by side with Altima(and 350Z, Honda S2000) Pretty cool video, wish I could drive like that guy.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=- bod&sectionParameter=rx8_activity&bhcp=1
    Hate to break it to you, but you're looking at two different animals. The 350Z is comparable to the RX8, the Altima is comparable to the Mazda6.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I have an '02 Altima SE and have driven an RX-8 at the Mazda Rev-It-Up events. They are very different cars. The Altima is faster in a straight line and feels more powerful because of its torquey engine. On the other hand, the RX-8 is in a whole other league in terms of handling. It is more comparable to the 350Z, as corvette said, but from what I've read it's an even better handler than the Z.
  • mdcruiser1mdcruiser1 Member Posts: 9
    I rented a 2005 Altima 2.5S not to long ago, put about 1500 miles on it within a week and a half. Very nice ride, great power. It's a little hard to see out of the back of it, and the torque is a little too much for the front wheels sometimes, but that's about it.

Average mpg was anywhere from 24-28mpg between city and highway. Definitely good for such a roomy car.
    My last rental was a Toyota Echo. Yuck! I'd be thrilled to get an Altima as a rental over a Taurus or Malibu...
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Our driver front window is acting very finiky lately, it goes down fine, but sometimes doesn't want to go back up. Probaly about 50/50 now. My mechanic says it's either the switch or the motor, but he's yet to see the car.

Anyone else have this problem, and if so, what was the resolution? TIA.

The Sandman :-)
  • cvettecvette Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, we're looking to buy a 2005 Altima. The dealer has one with all the options we want plus one we don't - the wind deflector. Does anyone know if it can safely be removed? The dealer says yes but I'm not confident it won't hurt the paint since it is factory installed.

Anyone have an experience with this? Thanks in advance.
    Nice handle. :-)

It's probably installed with heavy-duty adhesive tape, getting it off can be messy (sticky gooey stuff on the paint), but they can remove it with chemicals. It should be fine.
  • 1652116521 Member Posts: 11
    Own an '05 altima 3.5SE. Love this car except for the loud road noise. anyone else experiencing this? The stock Bridgestone tires really howl at high speeds. Thinking of replacing them.
    Hi cvette,

First off, Congrats on the Altima....I love mine...wish it was Sonoma Sunset though.

But anyway, as far as removing the visor, I have actually taken mine off before and when I did, it left a ring where the visor onces was. Its pretty noticeable to...but also, I didn't really take mine off until about six months after i had mine...so you may not have that problem.

My visor is held together by clamps and two screws that are apart of the wind visor itself...I didn't see any tape with mine.

The sunroof visor is somewhat redundant becuase the sunroof has its own visor that protracts whenever the roof is open.

I do however, like the look of the visor over my sunroof. I removed it to clean it.

But to answer your question, you may have a ring around the visor once you take it off, take it off and see, if it does then decied.

It is EASY to put back on though.

Again, congrats on your new Altima...the new one will be about this time next year from what I hear.
    Thanks corvette ;) My initials are CV and I love vettes, so I go by CVette.

The dealer installed ones are typically tape but the one our prospective car has is the bolted type that is factory installed.

Just this afternoon I went to a different dealer and saw the two brackets that bolt to the wind deflector. I was able to lift the deflector slightly off the roof so there is no glue, just a big rubber gasket. I'm having the dealer remove it before we purchase so I can inspect the roof and see how it looks and if it is damaged.

maxamillion, where do the brackets go after slipping between the sunroof and roof? I assume somewhere between the exterior and interior roof (ie you can't see them from inside and they don't effect the upholstery).

Thanks! This will be our first new car purchase for my wife and I. Unfortunately this purchase is due to the final burial of my 1991 Nissan Pathfinder with 205,000 miles - but we're excited just the same.
    are like in between the front inside of the sunroof and the outside exterior part of the sunroof....

It' like a clamp almost...the bottom part goes under front of the sunroof and the top part sticks out and screws with the wind deflector. Those clamps are set at the sides of the roof and deflector and can't come out because of the sunroof's own wind visor...once they pull it off, you'll be able to see what I mean...

Its amazing...because if you push down the sunroof's own visor hard enough, you can actually pull off the wind deflector with the screws still in it.

But yea, if its a fresh Altima, you probably will not have the ring around yours...but if you wait..it will be there.

It kind of made me mad because I really didn't expect the visor to mess up the paint...and ALSO...have those dealers through in some touch up paint because the Altima has some TERRIBLE paint quality.

Which color did you get anyway? I've got smoke (that color is a BIG seller for 05), but it shows scratches easily and I ALREADY need touch up paint.

But when it's clean...its darn sexy!

I can't wait to see the 07 Altima!!!!!!!!!!!
    Went to the dealer yesterday and put $100 down for delivery next week. I saw the brackets you mentioned and had the dealer take them off and wash the car so I could check for damage. There were tiny, barely visible scratches but they claim they will be fixed by delivery. I'll ask for the touch up paint - thanks. We're getting a 2.5s convenience plus in Sononma Sun w/ blond. Woohoo!
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    I am seriously looking at buying a 6-speed SE-R. It is code red with side airbags/Traction control, splash guards, fllor mats, protect kit, Sirrus radio and sun roof delfector for $29,039 with 1% 60 month financing. I too would like to remove the sunroof deflector. It significnatly detracts from the cars looks.

The other car I am cross shopping is a 6-speed accord coupe with navigation. It is priced about the same are all the options mats, spah guards, fender and body sige molding and cargo carries.

Which is more relaible?

Which has better milage?

I test drove both and both are responsive. It seemed you could overpower the SE-R on take-off and second gear.

I wasn't impressed at all with the SE-R Bose radio.

Did like the sporty sound of engine and taut ride.

Which one should I buy?

Thanks,

MidCow
    As a matter of fact, the ONLY reason I didn't get an Accord coupe is because I am a college student how needs all the extra room of a sedan..and I just happened to NOT like the styling of the Accord.

The Accord has the better interior, the higher resale value, and is probably going to be slightly more reliable and have fewer rattles and creaks...

Gas mileage I am not sure about, it should be about the same I would think...

But if it were me, I'd go with that Accord coupe because they are SWEET!!!, plus you get the added benefit of Navi in the Accord, which is ALSO superior to the Nissan unit.

I just hope you aren't planning on paying MSRP for these cars..cause you siting MSRP prices...you should be able to do WAY better than that...
  • 99_accordex99_accordex Member Posts: 3
    A friend of mine is shopping for a car. At a nissan dealership he found an 2003 Altima 3.5SE with no options, 25k miles, an extended warranty up to 100k miles. Asking price is $17k. The only issue is that the dealer says the car has a 5-speed automatic. Was 2005 the first year of the 5-speed auto in the Altima or did they offer it back in 2003?
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    " Was 2005 the first year of the 5-speed auto in the Altima or did they offer it back in 2003? "

The 5-speed automatic was not available in '03.
    - Ray
    Drove an '03 automatic 3.5 - and an '05 . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Espeically considering that the NEW 05 Altimas have rebates of $1500...

If your friend is good at haggling and doesn't mind driving to a large city, I'd be willing to bet you could get a new one for about $21K.

$17K seems too high for a basic 03 SE model.
    I am talking about a 3.5SE.
    Thanks for the info. When he asked the dealer about the transmission again, they still told him it was a 5 speed automatic. With that said, he left the dealer and isn't in a rush to go back.
    Thanks maxamillion, he decided he would look out for a better deal on a different car at a different dealership.
  • tradkitradki Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 V6 Altima. It is not garaged. When I start the car in the morning it seems to make a grating noise for about 10 minutes. Is this because of the cold or is it normal? Should I take it in?
This discussion has been closed.