Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• brickersbrickers Member Posts: 12
    hey guys i just bought my Altima today and i'm very happy with how the deal turned out. Very little stress on the buying process.

Altima 3.5 SL
    MSRP 28,530 Invoice:26,650
    Paid: 24,400 +TTL
    this price is with the rebate
    but car did have 3000 miles on it, allowing a increased leverage for bargaining on the price.

the car has traction control, floor mats and sidesill option and tinted windows(i really didn't care for). Any ways this car is awesome, handles well and it is fast.

I do have one question, the dealer mentioned something about the 3.5SL's suspension being more luxury tuned, hence absorbs bumps better and has better sound insulation compared to the 3.5SE or the 2.5, I did drive both and couldn't tell the difference too much. Any thoughts on that? thanks
  • ben72ben72 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having trouble with my overdrive. Whenever I use it on the highway I can see and feel (in the pedal) that my RPMs are jumpy. It seems to drop/jump about 300-400 RPM. It only seems to happen (or maybe its just more noticeable) at speeds over 60. I hoping its not the transmission because the fluid smells/looks ok. I think it might be some kind of sensor/electrical problem. Anyone out there with any experience with this?
  • twitch2twitch2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '96 Altima GXE and it won't start. Check engine light is on...reads that the cam position sensor is bad...I have replaced both timing chains and the timing is @ top dead center. Also replaced plugs and distributor. The car started several times in a row and seemed to run fine. The next day I drove it less than half a mile and it started dieseling and died. Now it won't restart. Does anyone have a clue what the problem might be?
  • hijack784hijack784 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I'm a new owner for 3.5SE MT, and so far I'm loving it. Yet I also share the same complaint about the car being a little on the noisy side due to those crappy tires. (dealer also f'd up the inspection check, as one of the tires didn't have a pressure stem on it. when i opened the cap a cpl days later, air just started leaking out. i guess they didn't have time to fix it during the time of our purchase, it was a rainy rainy night. they fixed it, but i just thought this was an odd problem for a new car w/ only 4 miles on it. way to go tire company!)

Anyways, coming to the boards here, I think I might have overpaid =(. All you guys who got in with around 22K 3.5SE with sport package+options, you guys got a great deal. Too bad I bet many of your cars isn't MT. (We all know that MT is faster.)

The reason I'm here is I would like to get an audio dash kit similar to this guy's for my car.
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/649834
    I tried asking him but no response. If you guys know where, I can get this type of clean audio kit for the car, that would be great. I don't want the generic black ugly looking ones.

Also are there any more pages dedicated to altima discussion? I haven't found that many. I am interested in replacing the speakers and adding a sub, along with changing to those angel eyes/xeon lights. If anyone knows where to get more information about any of these topics, let me know! thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    For more Altima discussions, check the Owners Club link at the top of the page. Also you can look them up using the Browse by Vehicle search on the left side of the page.

You might want to use the keyword search to find discussions on audio topics. And/or you might want to check out the list of discussions on our Aftermarket & Accessories Board.

Hope this helps!
  • deltadartdeltadart Member Posts: 3
    First time entering the board. Am contemplating purchasing one of the above. Really like the handling/performance of the SE-R, and engine audio/pipes.

Discovered the same complaint about road noise in the SE-R which others have commented on which doesn't seem to exist in the Max.. Different tires or extra insulation from the factory in the Max.? Saw the previous entry by the person who added the "dynamat". If you see this, how hard was the job?

Really like the exterior design of the SE-R over the Max., and the interior dimensional spec's. only seem to differ by about 1/2 inch. Living in Florida, the perforated leather is a must for me, which can only be had in the SE-R. Seems to me, Nissan is missing the boat here.

To cut to the chase, has anyone else out there been in the same quandry?
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    Does anyone know if there are aftermarket tail light assemblies for the Altima? I am not a big fan of the Altezza tail lights and would like to see if there is something else available. I currently don't own an Altima but may consider one as a replacement for a lease. I just want to know all of my options before I get into a vehicle.
  • john55john55 Member Posts: 4
    I'm very interested in the SE-R - but concerned about its ground clearance in the snow. Any thoughts?
  • gemster18gemster18 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, I just purchased A 2005 Altima V6 SE and according to Nisan its suppose to get 20 mpg city, and 30mpg highway. The trip computer is saying that on the highway doing about 60mph in cruise control for about 34 miles I am only getting 15.7 mpg!!! thats horrible! The dealer told me the mpg would improve as the mileage increased at around 5000-8000 miles is this true? any help would be great as I am very unhappy with this. Otherwise I love this car!

Joey
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    15.7 would be bad. I can't see the mileage improving that much with break-in (maybe 3 or 4 miles per gallon). That said, don't trust the trip computer. Calculate your mileage the old fashion way. The trip computer can be way off over short distances.
  • hijack784hijack784 Member Posts: 4
    i reset the trip computer gas mileage thingy often. just hold it down. i average the mpg i obtain from those.
    usually around 18-22 city, and a little bit higher for freeway.
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    I am in the market and love this car. Drove the SE-R, too much torque steer and howl, then noticed the traction control option was not there. I noticed also that I cannot find a 3.5 model that has the Traction Control (TCS). Realizing it as an option, most dealers say they do not do it because it puts the Altima too high in $$$$, next to the Max. For those that have a 3.5 give me your thoughts....do you have TCS ? IS it a big deal? It appears to be after lightiing up an SE-R's tires on test drive.

I know when optioning out the Altima find myself on the SE close to $30K and now feel a sway to getting into a Base G35 sedan for a grand or two more to get the safety features the Altima lacks.......Advice????
  • jdartjdart Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Altima 2.5 SL has a problem that has just started. After starting it will stall. Starts again immediately again and only does this occasionally. Anyone experienced this or have a any ideas on cause & cure? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    The trip computer does a cumulative calculation from the last time it was reset. If it hasn't been reset for a while, you're not going to see it change at all with highway driving. Just reset it when you're on the highway and you should get a decent estimate of your highway mpg.

FWIW, I find the trip computer in my '02 is pretty optimistic. It reads a good 1-2 mpg higher than what I get calculating by hand.
  • nmtomcatnmtomcat Member Posts: 1
    Can someone recommend an aftermarket GPS to install in the dash of my 2005 Altima? I just bought it used, so didn't have a choice of getting an OEM GPS.

Thanks!
  • jqstudjqstud Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I own a 1997 Nissan Altima and I can say that this peice of work is a beast. This baby pulls me through all of the obsticals needed to get around in everyday life. There is only one things about my ride that bothers me.... I attend High School in Salem, Oregon, and most of our "girl population" owns the exact same car. Now I want to come off as a pimp, and this is hard to accomplish with these ladies. Is there anything that I can do to spice up my car a notch to bring more ladies to me because of my car without getting a new one? I don't want to follow the ladies....I want them to follow me. :( :confuse:
    Um, you might want to stop by our brand new Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification board and see what's cookin' there. But I don't think we have any place around here where the primary goal is to mod a car to come off as a pimp and get the ladies to follow you.
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    If you want the girls to follow you, convince your parents to lease you a G35 (or at least a new Altima). Nothing else you do will change the situation, unless you're well-endowed. ;)

BTW, that reminds me when I was watching the news a few days ago. They were talking about parents using GPS to track their kids when they drive. There was one family who bought their 16 year old son a new 2005 G35 Coupe. Damn, I was lucky to get a used car when I was 18. Fortunately, I can buy one now if I wanted to.
    Have been shopping for quite some time. Have driven two different SER"s, and one of them did seem to have more tire noise that the other. Feeling is that quality control at Bridgestone may be the culpret. Same day drove a 3.5 SE with mismatched tires, and thought I had driven a car with four snow tires! Seems that frame architecture may be a very easy route for the vibrations caused by the type of tire.

Had my heart set on a Silver SER with the Red/Charcaol seats, but the dealer with that one in stock wants almost $1K more for one at another Silver SER with the Gray/Charcoal interior. Was informed that the Red/Charcoal is VERY difficult to get.

Tested a Green 3.5 SE MSRP about $1K less than the SER. While most of the vehicles are identical, my heart goes with the SER.
    Forgot to include this with my previous message. Want to get an compass for the car, should I purchase. Found out a interior rear view mirror with compass can be purchased from the Nissan dealers parts department for about $280. The dealer want about another $250 in install. Any one out there know of an alternative?
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,272
    On the mirror, find out the MSRP of it as a factory installed option and insist on that price! I have the auto dimming mirrow with compass on my 03 2.5 S. I think that was about $250 as a factory installed option.
  • rayfeurrayfeur Member Posts: 6
    My Nissan Altima 2002 stalls all the time, as soon as it hits 2500 RPM.
    Per the Hudson Nissan the problem is being caused by the DashBoard Circuits..
    (Unified Meter) according to the Service Manager, it controls the RPMS and
    transmission, it sound like BS to me. Can anyone with knowledge of this help
    me out.They want 600.00 plus labor to replace it... 'm leasing ,
    why should I have to pay.

This is the last Nissan that I buy.

Year/Make/Model: 2002 NISSAN ALTIMA SE
    Body Style: Sedan 4 DR
    Engine Type: 3.5L V6 DOHC MPFI 24V
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I wish you the best with that situation.

I have an 05, and I too think it will be the last Nissan I buy unless Nissan SERIOUSLY improves its quality.

I love the styling..but it has some small knick knacks that bother me.
  • tjnsocaltjnsocal Member Posts: 1
    Im experiencing the same problem with my 2002 Altima. Unfortunately, I already have spent $1800 replacing parts and it still is stalling and not starting back up right away. Im curious if you ever recieved an answer what the problem was and how it could be repaired. I would appreciate any information you can relay to me to correct this problem. Thanks Tj
  • mottai1mottai1 Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy an 94 Altima GXE with 70K miles. The car has low mileage because the owner's wife had used the car to commute to her office which is 5 mts from home.

I would like to know if the 94 Altima GXE has any potential problems. I am planning to buy this car. I am planning to take it to a mechanic. Is there something that I need to ask the mechanic to check it out...?

Thanks!
  • 2mgb2mgb Member Posts: 1
    My 94 Altima GXE will not start, First time I used Sheetz gas, been having a problem starting my car, Have heard from a few people that Sheetz gas messed up there cars. I put a new fuel filter in, car ran for 3 miles, the just lost power, started it after 10 minutes drove home, parked it in driveway, and it will not start, fuel pump is working fine. The car sounds like it is going to start, but just won't. As the car loses power it hesitates, then shut's right down. :cry: Love this car, never had a major problem. Car has 107,000 miles. Does anyone have any idea what it maybe.
  • jennkajennka Member Posts: 3
    Hey, Mine is a '97 Altima and I have had a new distributor, spark plugs, and fuel filter, and it's Still doing the funky surging/stalling! Especially when turning on the air conditioning. Any soltutions?!
    katts91@hotmail.com
    Thanks!
    -Jennifer :confuse:
  • bratchamp110bratchamp110 Member Posts: 3
    Do a google search for nissan, recalls, 2002. I believe there was a recall on OBDII controls on the 2002 Nissan Altimas. This may be the cause of your issues. I am not sure. Check it out though. If it was recalled they should replace it for free.
    Jennifer,
    Make sure you also change your air filter. If air flow is inhibited it will continue to stall.
    I have a 2000 Nissan Altima SE. I bought it new in August of 2000. I have about 56,000 Miles on the car now and it has been a great car up until this past January. Since January the Check engine light has been coming on and going off. It has been on stead for over a month. Since this time we have changed the plugs, wires and cap, and replaced the fuel and air filters. We ran the diagnostic initially and the only error was "multiple misfires". This continues to be the only error we receive. We have cleared the error every time we have worked on the car and once I run the car for a little while the check engine soon light comes back on. When the light is on the car idles rough and sometimes stalls. Does anyone have any advise or possible solutions to this ongoing problem?
  • jag7jag7 Member Posts: 3
    I would go to a different dealer... they are not VERY difficult to get as informed, since i test drove 3 of them, and each was with the red/charcoal interior. They told me that it was difficult to get the gray/charcoal ones. Hold out till you get what you want... they are out there.
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    " I love the styling.. but it has some small knick knacks that bother me"

Can you be more specific max as to what really dont you like about your 05 Altima. :)
  • 1652116521 Member Posts: 11
    Wondering which brand of tires people have put on their 3.5SE?
    Its the unpopular size 215/55HR17.
    I still have the stock tires, turanza el42.
    Its an o.k. tire but prefer something that rides softer with less noise.
  • altima6altima6 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All -

I've had my new 2005 Altima for about a month now and have noticed major noise with the sunroof. It almost sounds like the sunroof is shifting around when it is closed and I am driving. When open it sounds like something is being blown around inside the sunroof. Has anyone had issues with this? I took it to the dealer and he told me it was simple car shift. I find it very annoying. Looking to see if anyone had this problem and if it was resolved.

Thanks.
  • pidlypidly Member Posts: 1
    have a starting problem...when it is cold car starts fine...when the temperature rises outside or the engine is warm the car will not start....at times after waiting 1- minutes the car will start at other times will not start until the outside temperature cools down....when I turn the key the radio and all equipment works until I turn the key all the way then everything shuts down like not getting any juice....
  • rayfeurrayfeur Member Posts: 6
    No, I just keep getting the computer reset to get out of limp-mode.. Autozone does this free at any of there stores, some charge a small fee,,, 10-20$

You cannot trust the dealer,, I going today to Autozone. and verify the service codes, so the right part gets replace and I don't have to spend that much money... good luck to you
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Sad to say, but we sold our beloved '01 Altima GXE Ltd. Edition this weekend. It had been nickeling and dimeing us to death this past 1 1/2 years. It had just shy of 80k miles on her, but it was time to move on. As the wife wanted a smaller car and didn't want a Sentra like I drive, she bought a Mazda3 S and we couldn't be happier. The power is almost like the Altima, it's a 2.3 liter engine. The shifts though are silky smooth.
    It was a great run with the Altima but now we've "zoom zoomed" on. I will still lurk in here from time to time. Wishing y'all many miles of trouble free motoring with your Altimas!

The Sandman :sick:
  • mbplus3mbplus3 Member Posts: 1
    Similar to you -- I have a 2000 Nissan Altima SE; bought it new in July of 2000. But I have 96K on it; it was at 91K when the problem hit. You likely have a leaky maifold gasket. I did the tune-up, new plugs, air filter, cleaned air intake, gas additive, fuel filter, etc. I have an OBDII and reset the memory. Within a day or so it came back on with the same message about "multiple misfires". Took it to the Nissan shop and they got the same message and found the problem...all for a mere $634.50. At least the problem is solved and the engine idles and runs smoothly.

p.s. be sure NOT to have them include a diagnostic charge (about $65) for a diagnostic that you already will give to them!
  • 4him24him2 Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 Nissan Altima does the same thing! Stalling all the time and it is also a lease. I am thinking of filing a lemon law suit against Nissan if they can't fix the problem. I would like feedback from others on stalling while idle.
    Can someone help me?
  • 4him24him2 Member Posts: 3
    Does this help the stalling? Will the car get worse if driven like this?
    My car stalls all the time and it's a lease and I'm not putting any more money into that vehicle. I have already replaced the engine.
    Please reply, someone!
  • rbevz67rbevz67 Member Posts: 69
    ANy know how powerful the BOSE system is in the 2005 Altima? The one in the 2005 Maxima is 320 watts but I swear they sound different, so I do not believe this is what the Altima gets. The dealership is clueless - they told me theyre the same.
    150 watts right???
  • rbevz67rbevz67 Member Posts: 69
    Not sure. I saw that figure on some 3rd party sites. Anyone try the stereo? Is it worth the upgrade or should I just invest 2k into my own stero?
    with BOSE had 150 watts.

I don't think the 05 Altima is any different.

I remember thinking that 150 watts wasn't a lot, but Edmunds.com rated the BOSE system in the Altima as one of the best...so oh well.

The Previous Gen Maxima had a 120 watt CD player and a 200 Watt CD (00-01) CD6 (02-03)

I LOVED the previous generation Maxima...almost bought a used one instead of my Altima.
  • miagarfuncklemiagarfunckle Member Posts: 51
    I am curious about a few things regarding the Altima from 2002 and up. I only want responses from Arizona residents who are driving in our extreme heat. I want to know how does your car perform in this heat compared to the rest of the year. Cooling, gas mileage, Air Conditioning. Also list any problems you have had related to the heat and how many miles you have on your car now?
  • ewe2ewe2 Member Posts: 20
    Just wanted to know if anyone else thought the A/C heating configuration was odd. I recently bought a 2005 2.5S with A/C. Upon going to the dealer and then being shown this little info in the owners manual. I thought I'd ask around to see what other people thought.

Taken from the owners manual.

Defrosting or defogging.

When the "Windshield Only symbol" is selected. The air conditioning automatically turns on (However the indicator light will not illuminate) if the outside temperature is more than 36 degrees. The air conditioning system will continue to operate until the vehicle is restarted, even if the the air flow control dial is turned to a position other than the "Windshield" position.

Heating and defogging.

When the "Windshield and Floor symbol" is selected. The air conditioning automatically turns on (However the indicator light will not illuminate) if the outside temperature is more than 36 degrees. The air conditioning system will continue to operate until the vehicle is restarted, even if the the air flow control dial is turned to a position other than the "Windshield and Floor" position.

Dehumidified defogging.

When the "Windshield Only symbol or the Windshield and Floor symbol", or positions in between are selected, the air conditioning automatically turns on (However the indicator light will not illuminate) if the outside temperature is more than 36 degrees. The air conditioning system will continue to operate until the vehicle is restarted, even if the the air flow control dial is turned to a position other than the "Windshield" position.

I think it's very odd that they would make a car that in order to deactivate the A/C. You would have to restart your car. For reference refer to pages 4-12 thru 4-21.

If anyone knows of a fix for this I would greatly appreciate the info as I find this both gasoline and power robbing in the performance of my Altima.

Thanks

D
  • jimbonutjimbonut Member Posts: 9
    My wife drives a 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE. We purchased it recently off a 2 year lease with approx. 50,000 miles on it. It is in immaculate condition and a delight to drive (I can't take my hands off it) with one exception. There is a subtle rattle coming from the right front end. The rattle can be heard on any road surface. Several mechanics including the local Nissan dealer have tried to diagnose it. All of them initially suspect the strut but after closer inspection none of them have ended up thinking it is the strut. The suspension is tight and the wheels are well balanced. One of the mechanics replaced the strut bracket and tie rod end which did not help.

Can someone please help diagnose this problem? It is not something we can't live with but it is a shame to have this annoying rattle on such an otherwise delightful car.
  • givargisgivargis Member Posts: 1
    My Altima started doing this weird thing just a week ago: it will idle with no problems. If you try to rev the engine in park, it will stall and die. But, if you press the gas SLOWLY, no problems. I changed the fuel filter, but no dice. Has anybody else seen this problem? The car will drive for about a minute and then stall. Cap and rotor?
    Hi, you might want to check through our Idle or Stalling problems discussion, also. Welcome - hope we can help.
  • jimbonutjimbonut Member Posts: 9
    Did you ever find a solution to your rattle Steve? I have thesame problem on my wifes 2003 Altima but on the right front. Notice you now have an RX300. I had a 1999 RX300 for 4 years and enjoyed every day of it. Not one problem in 4 years. I now have a 2004 Sienna that has performed well so far.
This discussion has been closed.