Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    What is going on with Nissan not abs or side airbag otption for 2006 on SE with manual trans have to swithch to auto trans to get this. Is this a mistake or are they stupid. Very confused. Old Mike
  • deminindeminin Member Posts: 214
    We will probably be trading cars in the next couple of months, and the Altima and Maxima are both on our "short list". Given that the pricing of these models is so close, are there any advantages/disadvantages that one might have over the other? I welcome all opinions and suggestions. At this point, on paper, the extra couple of thousand for a Maxima would seem to be the better value.
  • bru4bru4 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2005 Maxima 3.5 SE and it is a great car. However, the low-profile tires do not give the smooth ride of the standard tires. You feel small bumps in the road. The other negative for me is the hair-trigger accelerator. A small touch to the pedal and the car takes off. You can get used to that, but I really noticed it after driving a rental for a week. The car has a more comfortable seat for the passenger than the Altima. Both driver and passenger seats have good lumbar support.

My wife and I (seniors) are seriously thinking of returning the Maxima for an Altima 2.5, however. We do not need the power and the larger size. There is also the recommendation that premium gas be used for optimum performance. We have used regular some, with no noticeable difference.
  • deminindeminin Member Posts: 214
    Thanks for the tip on the "hip-hop" tires..I will probably ask for regular tires on any vehicle we buy. We, too, are retired, and are planning on taking some trips next year...if gas prices don't go ballistic. I want a responsive car with excellent seats so I can click off 6 or 7 hundred miles in a day without having to go to a chiropractor to get my back and legs working again.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    Hey Mike,

The same thing happened at the end of the '05 model year. I have an '03 Maxima SE 6-speed and my lease is ending in a few weeks. I started looking several months ago and the Altima SE was one of my possibilities. The first time I went to the Nissan website, I could build a 5-speed SE with the "Sport Plus" package that includes the Bose stereo, sunroof and spoiler. A few weeks later, there were no options available with the manual. Then a few days later, the manual SE wasn't even available.

I noticed the '06 SE is available with the 5-speed manual, but no options. I inquired on another website discussion and a Nissan salesman told me this is something that happens at the end and beginning of every model year. He claims they start up production of automatics first since they account for the bulk of sales. Whether this is true is beyond me. Who knows?

Anyway, I've moved down the automotive food chain a little due to gas prices and my own budget constraints. I'm now shopping the Mazda3 and Honda Civic. Too bad Nissan doesn't have a good entry level vehicle yet.
    Thanks allfiredup, my son got a se manual 05 but no abs or side bags against my better judgement, the price was ok but he could have done better if he did not walk in there before I gave him edmunds info. Had to bring one in from another dealer not many manuals around from 05. The fed him a line that they loose their holdback if they have to bring one from another dealer, which I am pretty sure is bogus. Oh well live and learn. Sure has lots of power but I have not driven it eough to listen much for rattles or determine high speed road manners. Loks nice inside but prbably not up to Honda standards, but he is 26 so it is nice enough. He drove accord v6 and TSK and was not impressed but this car he is impressed with for power. If it is as reliable and safe as Honda I will be impressed. I am happy about the July 05 build date, hopefully they had all the kinks out of the line and perhaps even made some improvements from the early 05's. Old Mike
  • timinkansastiminkansas Member Posts: 4
    I am the owner of a 2005 2.5S that I bought three months ago. I previously owned a 2002 2.5S and 2003 2.5S. Loved the cars, and my experience with their reliability led me to purchase an 05. Since the day I drove the car home, the remote trunk release (both the key fob and the inside switch) malfunction at least twice a day. The car has been to the dealership 5 times with very unsatisfactory results. Most times they "can't replicate problem" but on visit number three they did replace the car's computer (apparently signal was coming in to the computer but nothing coming out). That wasn't the culprit, and within days the electrical problem was back. I am getting really mad at Nissan (perhaps just this dealership in particular) because I estimate this fault has occurred at least 180 times (twice a day X 90 days). Anybody else has this issue? Is Nissan doing something different in building these cars?
  • mrsermrser Member Posts: 9
    I have the same problem with my '05 SE-R but it only happens maybe once a month. If I turn the ignition off, then back on, it's fine. I did bring it to the dealers attention and I got the same "unable to duplicate" answer.
  • timinkansastiminkansas Member Posts: 4
    Well,
    The mystery has been solved about why my key fob won't work on my 5-speed Altima, and it boils down to operator error (how hard is that to swallow?).
    The Altima has logic built into its computer which will not allow the trunk to open when the car is moving. This logic is fed by the wheel speed sensor. The set up makes lots of sense for an automatic, where the car is always completely stopped before being put into park and the ignition switch turned off.
    However, on the manual transmission cars, this same logic can cause havoc if you turn the ignition switch off while the car is still moving. This is my habit sometimes, where I will turn the ignition switch off while still moving (sort of coasting into a parking spot). If you turn the ignition switch off while the car is still moving (and I mean 2 inches of movement before a complete stop), the last thing the computer remembers before being shut down is that the car is moving! So you go to get out of the car and try the remote trunk release, it won't work. The computer thinks the car is still moving, despite being shut off!
    By turning the ignition switch on and off while the car is stopped, you recycle the computer, it samples the wheel speed sensor, determines there is no movement and Viola! the trunk opens.
    My local dealership did not figure this out. Apparently they have access to some Nissan trouble-shooters on a hot line who suggested this remedy. In the past week I have been diligent about making sure the car is COMPLETELY stopped before I shut the ignition switch off. This seems to have solved the mystery of the intermittent remote switch.
    Well I finally got to do a 15 minute drive in my sons Altima SE 5MT, my first impression is torque steer and more torque steer even in 4th gear. I was driving it hard so I could get an impression of how it handles, was on back roads. Next time will take it onto a high speed road. Did not hear any rattles, nice engine sound, perhaps a little floaty in the suspension. For me this will take some getting used to since I have always driven low power automatics and my GC is rear wheel, wife has 200 hp escape auto and I do not get this type of torque steer. I really believe that you have to watch yourself on wet or snow covered roads there is so much power, but I was having fun. Makes me think that my next car shoud be Legacy GT with auto but am trapped for two more years in my GC lease. Really dont need GC since my wife owns the Escape. Old Mike
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I am a new owner of a Nissan Altima. I have the 2 yr lease deal on an '05 Altima 2.5S w/ auto tranny. I needed to get into a new vehicle when my previous lease deal came to termination and the deal on the Altima was too good to passup. I have been extremely disappointed with several aspects of the car to date;

1. There are no lights on the vanity mirrors.
    2. There is practically no adjustability to the dash vents for the AC. You can close them and they have louvers that are supposed to adjust the airflow but in reality it does next to nothing.
    3. The transmission tends to jerk far too often when under moderate acceleration. When under light acceleration or under heavy acceleration the tranny does better.
    4. There are rattles coming from my glovebox and dash that drive me nuts. Can't seem to find the source.
    5. Cover of armrest in back seat is not properly attached resulting in bunched up fabric when the rest is down.
    6. Weather stripping from left rear passenger door area came off as my 5 year old was getting out of the car. It was not difficult to put back on but the fact that it came off so easily is dissapointing.
    7. Interior noise is pretty loud (combination of wind noise and tire drone).
    8. The car gets really skittish if I hit a bump while braking to a stop. (most often this is a pothole in the pavement as I approach a stoplight or perhaps a blob of tar from recent road repairs). This seems to be dangerous to me as it feels like the car is loosing braking ability and feels like it is starting to wander as the ABS tries to figure out what is going on.
    9. Little rubber inserts at the bottom of the interior door handles keep working loose and flopping around inside the handle cavity.
    10. There is next to no padding on the door armrests.
    11. The interior materials seem very cheap.

On the positive side, I like the exterior looks of the vehicle and I have been averaging around 26 mpg in mostly city driving.
  • indyfanindyfan Member Posts: 22
    Yikes!! I was strongley considering an Altima, but after reading this I am glad I bought an Accord. It's been perfect in the 4-5 months I've owned it.
  • miss66miss66 Member Posts: 12
    I planned on test driving the 06 altima this week. After reading some of the messages I am concerned with all this talk about stalling. I know nothing about the altima (have spent the last few weeks test driving the toyota avalon and honda accord but neither of these cars give me pain-free driving. Have bad lower back problems.) So, would appreciate views on the stalling situation and the pros and cons of the 4 and 6 cyl models. Any success stories from fellow back sufferers would be appreciated
  • pewteraltypewteralty Member Posts: 3
    Well I have had my 02 Altima nearly 4 years now and it has by far been the best car I've ever had. I currently have 76,000 miles and haven't had any problems with the car. When I first bought the car a couple of times it had a rough time starting but other than that it's been great.
  • miss66miss66 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the reply. Did you get a 3 or 6 cyl.?
  • pewteraltypewteralty Member Posts: 3
    4 cylinder because I have a 35 minute commute to work and I needed a sedan that got good gas mileage.
  • hawaii2hawaii2 Member Posts: 1
    if you could please expand on your line 3: I would be very interested. I have a 2004 2.5S and have soooo many problems....my car has been in the shop for 34 days straight got it back for 2 weeks and it is back in for going on 3 weeks straight. My serpentine belt cracked, my service engine soon light has come on more times then I can remember and they have replaced my fuel injectors and air sensor 2 times each. Please, please explain and let me know if you don't mind. thank you
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    To elaborate on item no 3.
    When I am accelerating from a dead stop with moderate throttle pressure (read as typical acceleration in city traffic), the transmission seems to slip from 1st into 2nd gear resulting in a jerking sensation that you can feel as the car lurches slightly as the gears slip. If I apply very little pressure to the throttle, the transmission shifts smoothly. If I apply a lot of pressure to the throttle, the tramsmission shifts smoothly.

On another note, I notice this same transmission slipping if I am accelerating then have to let off the throttle and then reapply the throttle in a short period of time (this happens to me typically as I am starting off through an intersection and have to let off the gas as the car in front of me slows down or somebody turns into my lane, then they accelerate again allowing me to accelerate again.) This can get pretty unnerving when you get the sensation that you might stall as a result of the slipping transmission.

To date I have not been able to get into the dealer to have them look at the problems I have been having. My work schedule has had me putting in a lot of 12-16 hour days and I am lucky if I can get a break to go to lunch ... much less take my car to the dealership. I am planning on having them take a look at these problems I have been having in the next week or two though. I will post here again once I get a response from the dealer.

One other thing that drives me crazy is the cruise control. If I have the cruise control set and I am traveling down a hill, the cruise control can't find a set point. The vehicle will coast until it is below set point and then will apply more throttle than it needs and overshoot the set point then have to let off again. This repeats itself as long as I am going down the hill. The cruise control works just fine on a flat section of road or going uphill. (I experienced this same thing in a rental Maxima a month or so ago.) The other vehicles that I have owned with cruise control have been able to smoothly maintain speeds on a downhill stretch of road. This has been annoying in my Altima.

I do like the interior room that the Altima provides and the seats are reasonably comfortable but the positives do not outweigh the negatives I have experienced so far.
  • martincmartinc Member Posts: 1
    IS THERE ANY WAY TO BYPASS THIS SENSOR WITHOUT ACTUALLY BUYING A NEW ONE?
  • bad2005slbad2005sl Member Posts: 2
    2005 Altima 2.5SL experiencing jerk problem when at a light. Not sure whether fuel injection problem/electrical problem. Is there anyone experiencing the same problem? Hopefully, I will take car to dealer AGAIN! Will keep you posted as to what they say.
  • bad2005slbad2005sl Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Altima 2.5SL been in the shop 4 times for not starting. Now I'm experiencing a jerk when I excelerate. I have 45,000 miles. I been told to contact Consumer Affairs because the dealer can not duplicate the problem. Of course, Consumer Affairs said I'm just the only one having the problem. Is it just me?
  • 4him24him2 Member Posts: 3
    Unfortunately, it's not just you. Where do I start? I have a 2002 Nissan Altima that I'm leasing. Since driving off the lot my service engine light has been on. Too many times to count my car would not start at random times. Even worse, due to a recall my engine was burning oil. Didn't know this and drove my car resulting in engine damage. Cost me $2000 to replace my engine. I've filed three complaints with Consumer Affairs but they all both denied due to being out of warranty. Even after replacing the engine, my car started stalling while driving. I can't afford to pay anymore to get it fixed. The last time it stalled Nissan ended up paying for it because they tried to sell me another car, loan fell through, but ended up having to fix my Altima because they were going to sell it. Strange way to get Nissan to pay for their lemon, huh? I WOULD SAY SPREAD THE WORD, NISSAN TREATS THEIR CUSTOMERS SO NOT RIGHT!
    Prayer helps....
    :) :lemon:
  • clarencehollowclarencehollow Member Posts: 60
    The Altima has so many positive advantages over the Accord, most of them effect the driver and passengers. One of the bigeest flaws of the Honda Accord is that the rear seat fold dowm, but all of it, it's not split, so if you plan on extra passengers in the rear with long items like SKI's - it's not going to happen in the Accord, but with the Altima you can fit 4 people and skis's - not in an Accord. Plus the Altima has a bigger fuel tank balanced within the frame, the Accords fuel tank is on the driver side. Also the standard Power of the Nissan Altima's 4 cyl. and 6 cyl. is better, plus Nissan has a better Warranty. Nissans don't break down anymore ... Altima is a great car, and is fun, is quality and is extremely durable and reliable.
  • rasuprasup Member Posts: 136
    Just bought a 2006 2.5S Sp.edition last week. The car is too new to comment on. I test drove 06 sonata (very good) , Mazda 06, Ford Fusion and finally settled on the Altima. The car rides great and is fun to drive, spacious and moves fast. I miss heated mirrors and am surprised at the hood support push rod!!. Most of the new cars have hydraulic supports.
    Has anyone on the forum used synthetic oil?. The manual recommends mineral based oil, but my dealer tells me synthetic could be added.
    Comments?.
  • haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    "Most of the new cars have hydraulic supports. Has anyone on the forum used synthetic oil?. The manual recommends mineral based oil, but my dealer tells me synthetic could be added."

You'd be surprised how many mid-size cars use a rod hood support in cars equipped with 4-cyl engines, but pop for hydraulic hood supports in models equipped with 6-cyl engines. My 2003 Hyundai Sonata is an example. (I haven't checked out a 2006 4-cyl Sonata personally, though.) I've read about Nissan's owner's manual recommendations for mineral oil, and it's "curious" to say the least. I'm unaware of any fundemental technical reason not to use synthetic oil in Nissan engines, but I see no overriding reason to go to the additional expense of synthetics if you plan to change oil according to the owner's manual recommendations either - except for the "feel good" factor. It's really your call. Keep in mind, that where synthetic motor oil is not specifically required to maintain your engine warranty rights, no manufacturer, domestic or foreign, can withold honoring a warranty claim due to use of conventional mineral oil of the correct viscosity, but regardless of type of oil used, no manufacturer will honor a warranty claim for oil related failure if the owner fails to abide by the owner's manual periodic oil change interval. In other words, if you use a pricey synthetic and keep it in service for, say, 12,000-15,000 miles at a time, and after 2 years, 9 months the engine flies apart at 29,000 miles, you're on your own if Nissan can present compelling evidence that your extended drain intervals materially contributed to the engine's demise. (The burden of proof is always on the manufacturer or his agent.) Also keep in mind that current conventional (mineral) oils are awfully close to the performance levels of pure synthetics of just 3-5 years ago - leastways at reasonable 5,000-6,000 mile oil change intervals and they're fully capable of supporting 300,000+ miles of engine longevity at these change intervals in engines driven sensibly. Two really good "conventional" motor oils currently available are Havoline conventional and Motorcraft "Premium Synthetic-Blend" - both generally available for under $2.00/qt. at WalMart if you do your own oil changes. (In the U.S., Ford's "Motorcraft" brand oils are blended and bottled by ConocoPhillips - the fifth largest oil company in the U.S.) Presumably your owner's manual recommends 5W-30 viscosity in most areas of the U.S.? If your geographical area necessitates 0W-30 viscosity for winter operation, both Mobil1 and Castrol Syntec have appropriate full synthetics. Just be cautious about extended oil change intervals while under warranty.

*The "synthetic" component in Motorcraft Premium Synthetic Blend motor oil is really a conventional mineral oil, but so fundementally altered through a process known as "severe hydroprocessing" that it meets industry agreed-upon technical definitions of synthetic performance. The short explanation of hydroprocessing is passing the feed oil stock from the refinery's distillation tower into a pressure vessel (literally a VERY large electric pressure cooker), seal it up tight, and "cook" the contents under 400+ degree heat in the presence of pure hydrogen gas under very high pressure and specific catalytic salts to convert (isomerize) undesirable molecules into desired oil molecules. Depending on the length of time involved, one of two "classes" of base oil stocks result: "Group II" or "Group III". Think of Group III as mo' better Group II, having been cooked longer. In the process, undesirable sulfur-containing molecules (unstable at engine operating temperatures and which tend to form destructive sulfuric acid in the sump) are reformed, too, into desirable oil molecules. The dissociated elemental sulfur remains behind as sediment in the bottom of the reaction vessel from which it's collected, further purified, and sold for commercial industrial purposes. (Sulfur's really great stuff, but you don't want any in your engine oil.) In the case of Motorcraft Premium Synthetic Blend 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30 motor oils, they're a varying blend of Group II and Group III base stocks plus anti-wear, detergent/dispersant, and viscosity stabilizing additives for the final product. ConocoPhillips publically admits that the Group III content is "minimally well in excess of 68%". Havoline, on the other hand, has no Group III component, but is a blend of Group II and what is unofficially classed as "Group II+" base oil stocks. Group II+ is a casually agreed upon industry-wide convenience designation among refiners as superior to straight Group II, but just marginally shy of officially qualifying to the API Group III designation. (An analogy would be a piece of otherwise exquisite Waterford Crystal with an all but unnoticeable, tiny chip in the base.) Havoline (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Chevron Oil Company now) lists its 5W-20 and 5W-30 conventional motor oils as "ISOSYN" on the labels which identify the company's Group II/Group II+ blends. Havoline's 10W-30 viscosity motor oil is a fully additized Group II product. Until about four years ago, virtually all conventional mineral oil based motor oils were additized Group I products. Current conventional motor oils are a sea change from the Group I products.

(for anyone bored to tears with this tribological diatribe - sorry...)
  • caedward2caedward2 Member Posts: 45
    My '05 Altima has the exact same transmission problem. I notice it most when the AC is on. Although I mentioned the problem to the dealer, they dismissed it as "normal". My theory is it has something to do with the drive-by-wire system now used in the Altimas.
  • globillyglobilly Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 2005 Altima back after having the exact same jerkiness-low acceleration issue. They replaced something to do with the throttle and it now works like a charm. Whenit first happend I too thought it transmission related.
  • caedward2caedward2 Member Posts: 45
    Would you kindly post as to exactly what part they replaced? That way I can go to the dealer with the information.
  • rasuprasup Member Posts: 136
    Hi,
    Haefr, thank you for a very detailed explanation. The bottom line is making sure that we use good quality oil and do the changes as required. Its 400 miles so far. Very pleasurable to drive. Mileage in mixed traffic with 2.5S 2006 is around 21.6. I have frequent stop and go conditions. So far so good.
  • alj820alj820 Member Posts: 3
    this is long but can be entertaining!!! I bought a nu 05 altima in aug 05 and after about a month a herd the brakes,I ignored it bcuz hey it couldnt b my car bcuz it was nu. After a cple more wks I turned down the radio and really heard that it was my car a high pitch squilling and the brakes felt funny (grinding)so I took my nu car to the dealer on 10/05/05 I took the car into Nissan and they replaced the front pads and resurfaced the front rotors. On 10/24/05 I took my car back to Nissan for the same complaint and was told that they could not duplicate the problem. On 10/31/05 I took the car back to and was told that the left rotors were a little rough and they resurfaced both left side rotors and that would take care of the problem. on 11/07/05 I took my car back and they replaced the front brakes, said they put a compound on them to tell why they are wearing unevenly as i might have a bad caliper, they told me to drive it for 500 more miles and bring it back. I have called consumer affairs and recieved no assistance and now I have a lemon law hearing for friday because as of today the problem still exists and is getting worse. I have been told that the noise is normal and I dont believe anyone buys a car to have brakes sounding like they are about to pop off or feel as though they are not going to catch and stop but hey it could just be me. i was also told to take it back to the dealer i purchased it from which dumbfounded me as I thought all Nissan dealers were authorized and trained to repair their cars. I was told to take it for a second opinion so i asked Nissan would you like me to take it to Honda or Toyota. I bought this car bcuz my lease on my Accord was up and I loved the look and initial feel of the car, if I am sucessful with my hearing its back to honda for me. I had 82mi and had no trouble, the trans had 2 b replaced but honda replaced it under warranty even though it has expired as they said I was a good customer by always taking my car to the dealer for service and maintance. too bad Nissan doesn't have this approach especially with a nu car under 3700mi at first brake replacement. :mad: :cry: :confuse: :sick: :lemon:
  • haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    I must've missed something in your timeline - what was the final word regarding the possibility of a defective caliper before you filed your lemon law case?
  • financfinanc Member Posts: 6
    I have a manual tranmission 2005 Altima 2.5S that has a similar behaviour. When I accelerate from the dead stop, it sometimes hesitates specially if I am heavy on the throttle a little. It seems to happen more often in the winter time. I mentioned about that to the service people but the impression I got from their response is that they won't do anything about it unless I cause a scene.

It would be great if we could hear from globilly on what it was they changed to correct the problem.

Thanks.
  • cruizin3cruizin3 Member Posts: 4
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 81,300
    Recall Date : AUG 05, 2005 Read Full
    Recall Notice

Defect Summary:
    Nissan has determined that on some 2004 model year Sentra and 2004-2005 model year Altima vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter engine there is a possibility that power valve screws located in the intake manifold may become loose.
    Consequence Summary:
    If this occurs the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) may illuminate and unstable engine idling or power loss may occur.

Corrective Summary:
    For most vehicles, the basic repair will be to inspect the Power Valve Plates and Screws and, if all screws are installed, to replace the Power Valve screws with new ones. Depending on results of the inspection process, more extensive repairs, including repair or replacement of the engine may be required. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Recalls/Altima/2005.htm

This might be a related issue? Good luck
  • minarets1minarets1 Member Posts: 49
    i recently discoverd this car albeit it late in its model life, what are your thoughts....

dealer offering good pricing. at first i thought too close to the G35 pricing, but a 30k msrp was offered for around 26k...best deal i have found on a G35 so far optioned the way i would want(prem. pkg B) is $32k

that 6k is enough for me too look at tha SE-R
  • m382m382 Member Posts: 35
    does any one own an Altima SE-R, and would like to post there own pros and cons on the car. it would be extremely helpfull because i am currently looking at one.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey, boston14, could you drop me an email please? pat AT edmunds.com. Thanks!
  • alj820alj820 Member Posts: 3
    SORRY I HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO COME BACK TO THIC BUT THERE WAS NO FINAL WORD WE WENT TO THE HEARING AND THE JUDEGE ORDERED THEM TO REPAIR THE BRAKES AND TRANSMISSION AND ON 01-06-06 THE REPAIRED THE BRAKES ( NO PRONLEM FOUND WITHTHE TRANS, OF COURSE) AND AS OF TODAY THE BRAKES ARE BACK TO SQAULLING AND GRINDING AND WE ARE GOING BACK TO ANOTHER HEARING!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Yow, you're hurting my ears ... or my eyes!! :)

Please don't post in all caps - it's considered shouting and it also makes your post hard to read.

Good luck with this next hearing - keep us posted.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Are there V6 5 speeds ANYWHERE??

I'm really interested in a 3.5 5spd since they are such a bargain but I can't find one anywhere in the online searches. I hate to call a dealer before I'm ready to buy since they ALL hound you mercilessly once they get your contact info (a sad fact).

I'm in Central Vermont.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    and forget getting certain options too.

I think the ONLY pkg available for the 5spd V6 SE is the Leather pkg which is silly IMO because the Sport Pkgs (which have the word SPORT) aren't available with stick shifts anymore.

Mazda and Honda about the ONLY companies that caters to stick shift drivers anymore.
  • cosmopolitancosmopolitan Member Posts: 1
    i have an se-r. just got it about 1 1/2 months ago.
    i originally wanted the g-35 but went w/ the s-er had more options for the money. i love the car BUT IT IS AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN IN SNOW/SLUSH. This is a car that u would have to buy rims and snow tires for. That to me is the only down fall. Good luck.
  • mrsermrser Member Posts: 9
    I've had my SE-R (6 speed)for a year now and it's been great so far. This car handles differently from the SE. MUCH tighter and with the standard tires they are VERY sticky. If you live in an area where the roads are bumpy, you probably won't be happy with this car. As mentioned before, if you plan on driving in snow, snow tires are a must.
    As with any FWD car with this amount of power, there is plenty of torque steer.
    The sound from the exhaust is wonderful! It sounds a lot like a Z.

Be sure and take one for a long test drive before purchasing.
  • jdh5jdh5 Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone recently purchased any used Altimas at an auto auction? I'm curious what prices I might expect to find at an auction on 2002 models with standard options & around 50-75K miles. Can anyone help me out with this question?
  • opprmnopprmn Member Posts: 1
    Just put 2k miles on mine. Love it so far. Very quick and lots of fun to drive. Plenty of trunk and interior room.

Huge difference in feel from the SE -- I was amazed when I test-drove the SE-R.

Only downside (for me) is the sound system. I'd be happier if the 6-disc changer and sat radio was optional and I'd like an aux input for my iPod. Don't get me wrong -- it sounds great; just wish it was a bit more flexible.
  • steveoh62steveoh62 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking into purchasing a 2006 2.5 with the special edition packages. I also want a leather interior, but the only way to get that is with the SL package. However, the dealer suggested that the cloth could be removed and they could have leather installed for a cost of around $1200. And he said the leather would carry the 3 yr./36,000 mile warranty from Nissan as well. Can this true? All your thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

Steve
  • brandy06brandy06 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2.5s but it is a special edition I have not seen one of those yet around town. I live in the sparrows point area
    :D Per Autoweek.com

Looks similar to my own Altima...just new door handles, new tails and supposedly a WHOLE-NEW interior!

I hope so. Can't wait until NYIAS
  • suyashsuyash Member Posts: 1
    I just bought the exact same car you are talking about. 2.5S with special edition. I personally feel its better not to add any aftermarket stuff. I wanted a sunroof but the package with alloy wheel and sunroof was a $1300 option which I could not afford. The dealer offered to put in a aftermarket sunroof. I was a bit skeptical on that as if it leaked it would be quiet a hassle to get it fixed. Anyway, I personally feel that if you can afford it go with the next trim level.....I believe its the 2.5SL
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    ...Is the fact we may see CVT automatics used on this model for the first time.

Now don't laugh--Nissan has already said that they will offer CVT automatics on a wider scale starting with the 2007 US-market models (note both the 2007 Sentra and 2007 Versa will offer CVT's), and Xtroid CVT (which combines a CVT belt-drive system with a torque converter) has proved it can handle the power of the V-6 engine in its application on the Murano "crossover" SUV. I wouldn't be surprised that the I-4 Altimas use the CVT automatic and the V-6 Altimas use a conventional six-speed automatic.
    Per Nissannews.com the 07 Altima and Maxima will have CVT engines...Ghosn states that all 07 Nissan sedans will have CVT engines...except the Quest.
This discussion has been closed.