Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    Keep the Altima name.. why change names for every remodeled car? what would Ford do with its Taurus (last change the bubble years) then???

as for resale hurt.. geez, every car with a next year change takes a hit..
  • djcunnindjcunnin Posts: 8
    check Infiniti's web site, the car is still around.
  • qin2qin2 Posts: 26
    "um, the G20 is still around"

Reread what I said:

"Infiniti is only 12 years old and currently only has one model that has lived through the entire life of the brand (G20 was discontinued in mid-90s)"

I had put the G20 in brackets specificly because I thought someone would bring that up. The G20 was discontinued for 4 years in the mid-90s. So the Q45 still remains the only Infiniti model that has been consistently offered since the brand's introduction.
  • jimxojimxo Posts: 423
    Check out the "All new 2002 Nissan Altima" club at yahoo!

Toyota and Honda are about to get voted off.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    Could you post a link?
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    Did anyone else notice that Nissan totally redesigned thier web sit? Very nice layout... worlds better then before.
  • ludacrisludacris Posts: 185
    Yep I like their new website, I also like the new Nissan hamburger better. It's basically the same but looks cleaner.
    what I DON'T like is they dropped the coupon section of the Owner's area... man and I needed some coupons too.
    Sorry the Yahoo club "All new 2002 Nissan Altima" starts on 7-25-01.

Altima admirers, owners and dealers welcome.
  • sdattasdatta Posts: 24
    Sorry to belabor the point, but the responses beg the question, when should a car be given a new name then?

I owned a 1994 Altima for 4 years. I know from personal experience what a great car it is for the money. But the new new Altima is bigger, more luxurious, more powerful... it's simply much better in every way than it's previous version, and is built specifically to go head-to-head with the Camry and the Accord, while the previous version was not. If this list of changes isn't extensive enough to warrent a name change then I don't know what is.

I understand the point about name recongnition but if the Altima name is perceived to be an inferior product to the Camry and Accord with which it is supposed to compete, then name recognition will do Nissan more harm than good, in my humble opinion.

With this all said, I think Nissan will sell the hell out of these cars nonetheless.
  • motokichimotokichi Posts: 48
    Judging by what we know about the new Altima, it should be a successful car. You can take a great car and call it whatever, and it will still sell (at the right price). Just look at the Accord and Civic of today, they are nothing like the original but they have kept their names over many model changes and they have somewhat of a reputation.
    On the other hand, Acura dropped the Legend name and struggled. They are making the same mistake with the Integra.
    If every time a car gets a "major" overhaul just as the maxima will soon get (avalon size), should millions of dollars be spent on getting that new name into consumers head?

I don't think so, I like Altima anyway. Nissan has made a good decision to stick with Altima for many reasons.

Now lets see if first year of production produces any service recalls.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    Maybe this is off-topic, but you guys have me thinking about automotive name changes in general. I've noticed that some companies hold very tightly to their classic names, such as Buick (Century, Regal, LeSabre, Park Ave) and Cadillac (DeVille, Seville, Eldorado), while others seem all too eager to change names. Since I tend to be a nostalgic person, I usually dislike the idea of automotive name changes. Some that specifically stand out to me as stupid and unnecessary include the Pontiac Montana (formerly Trans Sport, which was a much cooler name in my opinion) and Toyota Echo (replaced the Tercel, which I think was a better and more recognized name). Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind if the Avalon were rechristened Cressida. My opinion: use new names for truly NEW cars that have no real predecessors (Rendezvous, Aztek, Avalanche, Highlander, Escape, etc.) and use classic names for cars with obvious roots. As for the Altima question, I'm glad to see the Altima name being reused on the new car. But for that matter, they could have chosen to do something really unexpected...2002 Nissan Stanza, anyone? :-)

-Andrew L
    then sales will really suffer if they give the Alty the Stanza name...
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Posts: 650
    From the the LA times:

http://www.latimes.com/class/highway1/20010725/t000060528.html

Also good hint on the pricing. Sounds impressive.

• maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    BTW, what all will we find out after this Friday, when the Embargo is off, Pricing, mpg?
  • har1bushhar1bush Posts: 207
    the whole article more or less sounded like a typical propaganda.... but those price estimates sound true along with everyone's predictions. Let's just wait until these reviewers actually get to test the car for some real evaluations and conclusions.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Guess my reading skills must be off. It seems the car was driven.
  • har1bushhar1bush Posts: 207
    they could have driven the car... sure... it says a couple things about comparing the I-4 and the V6, but I'm saying they havent put anything to a real test -- 0-60, braking, handling, etc. etc. Plus, there arent any constructive criticisms and the article sounds something like someone from Nissan could have written.
  • jochijochi Posts: 18
    Actually, the article did mention that the 4-cyl. would be in the back of the pack going up a steep hill. Not much criticism, but hardly Nissan propaganda. Plus there was another article in the LA Times about Nissan's revival in the States, and it states that Nissan has a reputation for suspect reliability. Most will attest that this assesment is not right. In fact, some will know that the Maxima's reliability is in fact better than the Camcords. So suggesting that the articles were written by Nissan seems kinda silly.