Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• cncmancncman Member Posts: 487
    If you make comments like these, I think you are passing yourself off as an expert. Or at least someone who knows more about marketing than we do.

"The market concensus is that the Altima is NOT a competitor for the camcord, only the Maxima is. "You might not care about what most people think, but I'm sure Nissan's marketing department does." "And anyone who has any feel for the market knows that's not true" "I agree numbers don't lie. But neither does the market analysis" "I rest assured knowing the reality of the market."

JD power has does surveys mainly on quality and customer service, which marketing survey have they done? And the only cross shopping survey I know of is the maritz one, if you know of another, please let me know, also you may need to study up on survey groups, statistics, polling methods and margins of error so you can understand how to read a survey. The figures are relative, doesn't matter if you say 90% or 5% of the people surveyed compared the altima with the accord/camry. Fact is if people were going to cross shop, the most common one for them to do it is the 4cylinder camcords. put whatever % you need to to make yourself understand and feel comfortable, doesn't change the statement. You were always complaining that noone backed up their statements with facts, well, here is the facts from the only source of reliable cross shopping I have ever heard of. If you have more, please share. I thought you were done too, I just posted the info and you misinterpreted it and I corrected you.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I pose this question regardless of the price of the Altima. The spread between invoice and msrp is all I asking.

Certainly people who buy a car in this mid-size category will pay a price above invoice that they would feel comfortable with.
    Check out freshalloy.com, they seem to think the SE will be around $23,000 if so that's great, but I just don't see how Nissan can build it for that. Also, some other good stuff in there about the altima.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I think there is some dollar amount that people are going to be willing to be pay for the car. Either the car will be be priced above that point and the dealers will have to discount to meet it, or the car will be priced below that point and the dealers will not need to discount.
    If they car has a MSRP of $22K for an SE with all the options, then they will be able to get that price regardless of what the invoice is until there is overstock of the vehicle and the Nissan dealers are fighting amongst each other for sales.
    If the price is $27K, then many buyers that are not desperate for the 235 HP are going to say they can go get a Toyota or Honda for less and will not take the Altima unless it is drastically discounted.
    I would say wait a month or so, usually the dealer won't get many in the first shipment, and there would be no reason to dramatically discount it, especially the SE V6, I imagine it would be pretty scarce, also, that would give a better oportunity to get the color/equipment you want.
    Most of the choice pieces will be snatched up by buyers that left deposits and the first ones on the lot.
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    Whatever, please don't put words in my mouth. When that 10% cross shopping Altima buyers turn into something like "50% of Altima buyers cross shop with Camcords" then call me. If not, please don't waste my time telling me that most people cross shop between these 2 different classes of cars.

Now, I got better things to do, like watching "rush hours 2" with my wife. See ya.

P.S check out: http://www.jdpower.com/

Hmmm... "a global marketing information services firm that provides clients with relevant and actionable market research, forecasting, consulting and training"
    That's been the way for Accords and Camrys in the past when they get a redesign.

For mass produced cars that sells by volume, such as Accord/Camry, the prices usually stabalizes at the 3-5% over invoice range. If you could resist the urge to be the first one on the block to own one, then you can probably do better than paying MSRP. (also, you might also dodge any initial teething trouble any first year model might have).
    Doesn't change the fact that if an altima buyer cross shops, the most likely one will be the 4 cylinder camcords, they do not shop any other vehicle more, and Maxima buyers will shop V6 Camrys and Accords more than any other make. However you want to read it is fine with me, doesn't change the facts. Please let us know what the results of the JD power, edmunds, KBB cross shopping survey were since this is the relative marketing aspect we are talking about. Enjoy the movie.

I do also think it would be a good idea to wait, unless you are in real good with the dealer and they are willing to give you as good a deal as waiting.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    the posts on this board are becoming boring, immature, uninteresting, and above all, uninformative.
    See ya in about a week.
    ~alpha
    Good movie guys. Much more interesting than the constant attempt of twisting of words here. Yawn. 10% hasn't changed into 50% has it? No? Good. Math does come in handy once in a while.

Anyway. I would recommend "rush hours 2". It's one funny movie. I think it's a more worthy investment of money than The Planet of Apes or Jurasic Park III. Those didn't impress me much.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    http://www.nissannews.com/cgi/frameset.pl?/nissan/news/products/relautopasse2001082100306.html

I find it amazing that that they just started production and the car will be introduced in late Aug. mid Sept. that's a lot of cars to make in a very short time to supply dealers. Don't you think???

• bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    Has anyone seen the colors posted for the '02? I didn't see them on Freshalloy.

blue
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Finally, Something of interest than silly games.

Very sharp color. Looks like the SE but cannot see a spoiler on trunk lid.
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    Yes! Rush Hour 2 was funny as hell ... made $67 million in teh first weekend, pretty good anyway...onto the Altima
    Hmm, like 12% of maxima buyers cross shopped V6 camry's not 50% and the 4 cylinder camry didn't even register? That kind of math? You can't have it both ways.

Haven't seen the colors either, Nissan did push up the release of the altimas because dealers are really short on supply also for the Maximas too. Can't wait to lay my hands on one in person, I think everyone will pleasantly surprised.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    It's actually a 2.5SL model, notice that it doesn't have fog lights.
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    Is that true, that the 2.5 SL doesn't have the fog blasters? BTW, my vision wasn't sharp enough to tell if the one in Smyrna had them or not.
    Yawn.... you are wasting my time. Call me when it gets to 50%, not some low 10%. Now stop wasting my time.
    seems like you have a lot of time to waste, I am glad you get to put your standards on the industry leaders results, must make you feel very good, you don't have to like the results, but it doesn't mean it's not true, and if the only intelligent thing you have to say is yawn, then I accept your surrender and am ready to move on.

BTW I found some dimensions on the new altima VS the new Camry (02's) Seems like they will be pretty close,
    Altima will have more passenger volume, but a slightly smaller truck.
    Passenger volume altima 103.2 Camry 101.7
    total volume (including trunk) Altima 118.8 Camry 118.4
    So how much larger is the interior than the Maxima?
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I know it's just an opinion, but the critics have said it's a piece of s***t! not worth seeing, thumbs down...interesting, Ebert and Roeper being one of them. It all comes down to taste in cars and people do cross shop, Altima, Accord and Camry. I did, and I perferred and bought the Accord over the other two...and I don't think I'm the exception.
    Rush Hours 2. It's for good laugh. It's not to be taken seriously. Lighten up and joy the cheap slap stick jokes. It's no car purchase for sure (at only $8 a ticket). Don't take it so seriously. :)
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Those pics of the new Altima make it look kind of bubbly, like the Passat. Not sure if I like that style. I guess I'll have to see one in person.
    Rush Hours 2. It's for good laugh. It's not to be taken seriously. Lighten up and joy the cheap slap stick jokes. It's no car purchase for sure (at only $8 a ticket). Don't take it so seriously. :)
    ludacris;
    There are two volume measurements, passenger and total, total includes the trunk,
    The current maxima is 102.5 passenger and the new altima is 103.2
    the current camry is 96.9 and the new one will be 101.7
    Total volumes for the altima and 02 camry are simlar because it looks like the camry will have a little more volume in the trunk than the altima. So even the new camry will still be slightly smaller inside than the current maxima. But of course, this is just a measurement of how many ping pong balls will fill up the inside, the real measurements that are more important are the Head, leg and shoulder room. A car can have more volume, but still feel more cramped depending on how it is designed.

Bimmer, I heard that too, but I still would like to see it, I love action movies, BTW, I have a friend that saw the planet of the apes and said it sucked, and they liked the original ones, anyone here seen it yet?
    hahaha... Still no luck changing 10% into 50%? Keep trying. Don't you just hate it when your own number tells you that you are wrong? Only 1 out of 10 Altima buyer cross between Altima and Camcords. Too bad that you can't change 10% into something other than 1 out of 10. That's intelligence for ya.

I would love to help you with math, but sorry, I don't have time. And I don't have the time to accept your surrender. I really suggest you stop wasting my time. Like I said, call me when 10% in math becomes 50%. Until then... Yawn.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I think you read to much into my message...I don't take anything you say seriously...now back to the 2002 Altima. : )
    No problem. :)

Yup, back to 2002 Altima.
    I still haven't seen any 2002 Altima pictures with what looks like an auto climate control system. Can anyone post some links?
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Will the altima have a 4 speed auto or a 5 speed auto?
    Any 0-60 times for the auto yet?
    M/T said 6.3 for the manual, so i am expecting less than 7 secs for the auto.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Usually it's a second or so difference.
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    unfortunately, the Altima will have the 4 speed auto...and Motor Trend tested the 5-speed manual - 0-60 in 6.28 seconds.

Only if Nissan could have put the 6-speed manual and the 5-speed auto...

They probably will within 2 years but I'm buying a car in October so, it doesn't matter after that.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    I remember all the hoop-lah when the newer Pathfinder was introduced with the more powerful engine about a year ago or so. Was it 240 or 260 HP? Don't remember. I drove one and was very disappointed. The supercharged motor in the Frontier has also been a disappointment, both by my standards and many professional reviews. I'm not very optimistic about the redesigned Altima, either. I'll check them out, but I'm already thinking the new Subaru WRX with AWD is going eat the Altima for breakfast.
    Actually it is 1 out of ten altima buyers surveyed went to a toyota dealers lot to look at a 4 cylinder camry that's how the survey defined cross shopping, the buyers did not look at any other vehicle more, so again, the most cross shopped vehicle by altima buyers was the 4 cylinder camry. if you don't understand that there's no helping you, and if I'm wasting your time, why do you keep bringing it up? I'm trying to move on because you can't understand simple terms.
    The Subaru WRX ad I saw said 0-60 in 6.4 seconds, or something like that. Not sure if that would qualify for "eating breakfast".
    Whatever... 10% is 10% = a small percentage = most don't. Got that? Good. Now, stop trying to reinvent math and waste time. Let's move on.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    All these numbers and figures don't mean a thing to me. The highly over-rated Honda S2000 looks impressive on paper too but in my opinion is a joke. It's quick, but the driving experience is pure hell. A measly 153 foot-pounds of torque at 7500 RPM is all its engine can manage. I'd rather have a Golf GTI VR6! I'm hoping the Altima is going to live up to its reputation because I'm in the market for a car. I'm pretty sure the WRX will live up to its reputation, however. After all, they've proven to be very competitive in the Ralley races. Nissan? Not competitive.
    plutonious:

Small engines are Honda's forte. And being able to sqeeze out 240 hp out of a 2 liter natually aspirated is pretty impressive. Yes. They lack low end torque. And that's been the biggest draw back of it, needing to be driven hard to make it perform.

Call me old school, but I belong in the camp of "no replacement for displacement". A car that can pump out power and torque even at everyday driving condition would be ideal. With 3.5L V6, it does dish out a good amount of torque, you shouldn't have to rev it as much as the S2000. :)
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    Talk about apples and oranges. You are comparing a compact car like the WRX to a mid-size family sedan. How many mid-sized family sedans under $30K do 0-60 in 6.28 seconds????. Sube might have a rally car, but Nissan makes some of the most exciting sports cars in the world. If we were in Japan I would take an Skyline GTR or Silvia over ANY Subie without thinking twice.
  • danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    Here's a link to a pic of the climate control...
    www.freshalloy.com/images/070201h.altima.jpg
    www.freshalloy.com/images/070201k.altima.jpg
    and there is also a very clear pic of it in the Sept. Motor Trend.
  • jmfreshourjmfreshour Member Posts: 57
    Thanks danny25 for the links. I'll post them here for everyone's viewing pleasure. I hope that's allowed. Get out your magnifying glass. Cheers.

Actually Nissan is very competitive in the rally races, ever hear of a skyline GTR? Set the class record at pike's peak, the 200sx took Nelson ledges, and Nissan has a long history in the SCCA. Also, Art Schmidt is very competitive in several off road races in his Nissan frontier. Ever hear of Eddie Cheever? He drives for the infiniti team with some impressive results.

Wenyue,
    I think I will take your advice and stop wasting my time with you, you are a lost cause.
    Trying to find out where I saw it, but somewher I saw a pic of the SE interior with leather in black that had a real nice burlwood on the center console, looked real sharp!
    So the auto climate control does exist! Thanks for the pics.
    Any of you know if the climate control will be dual zone, or am I hoping for too much?

cncman: So are you. Glad that you took my advice. :)
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    The automatic air conditioning will not be dual zone.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Why oh why did Nissan have to switch to ugly orange-red gauges?? I just cant stand that color staring at me and red seems to make things blurry compared to other colors. At a time when companies like Audi are retracting from red gauges, it is rather odd that Nissan decides to go with them. I much prefer the whitish gauges on my 97.5 Altima. They look classier too. Also, I don't care much for the center console styling. That metallic faceplate is just too large and the fact that it extends all the way to the windshield is just plain stupid looking. Again, I prefer the flowing integration of the console with the gauges like on my 1st gen Altima. The new Altima may be sportier looking inside, but I think they went a bit overboard and ended up making it look too cheap. It lost all its classy luxurious styling cues. The orange-red gauges and funky dash styling has ruined this car for me. I can only hope that on later models they will offer a white gauge package that lights up like the current Maxima and Altima, because I really would like a 2.5S with a stick. I love the exterior styling and powerful four banger. Just ditch those horrible gauge lights, please!
    The gauges didn't look like they were lighted amber in the released photos from Nissan. Did they change to amber, like Ingtonge I much prefer the white lighting. I've heard amber is supposed to stimulate the eyes and also be easier on them than green/white/blue/etc. But it's ugly.

The dash I like, the second pic up there looks like its moving foward. Does anyone else see it? or am I an idiot? lol

I think the critics were too harsh on Rush Hour 2. It's an action comedy, lets see, there's action and its funny ...hmmm in my book thats a success. it wasn't meant to be the equal to Saving Private Ryan or something...off topic sorry
    ingtonge;
    Actually, the guages are more yellow than red, if it makes a difference, the color hue is a little off in that second pic, look at the color of the tailights in the van in front and the stop sign. Again, Things look very different when you actually see it in person. I have no problem with the center dash, except for the oval stereo, doesn't seem to go with the rest, everything else looks well executed to me. ANyone notice it had the autodimming mirror too? Those are neat, have a compass and outside temp in them.
  • rxeffectrxeffect Member Posts: 9
    Nice pics. Except I'm not too crazy about the "freshalloy.com" logo they have all over the exterior and interior. Is that like a special edition logo?

The instrument hood likes kind of wierd but not offensive. Otherwise, I think the styling is pretty tweaked but I would like to see it up close. Pics don't usually tell the whole story.
This discussion has been closed.