Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• amazing2uamazing2u Member Posts: 67
    Here are the FACTS:

- the 2.5-liter, 4-cylinder engine is down to 175hp from 280hp (Spec-V & Altima "very tunned" Version)

Now the CATCHY PART:

- the 3.5-liter V6 engine is down to 255hp from 260hp (Maxima & I35 "tunned" version)

- the 3.5-liter V6 engine is STILL AT 240hp (Altima's V6 "underpowered" version)!!!

So we can see that the loss of horepower is not evident in it's "raw" version (ie. Altima V6)

Figure it out, The 2001 Maxima 3.0-liter V6 engine did 227hp. (If that is the real figure :) )
    how hard could it be to pump out 240hp from a 3.5-liter V6? We are talking a jump of 13 horepower!!!
    IMO, IT'S NOT A BIG JUMP.

BUT, I WILL buy one.

BTW... this is over a week old. It seems that the DETROIT FREE PRESS just WOKE UP!
  • hmpowerhmpower Member Posts: 20
    5 horses either way is not going to ruin anyone's day - I think some manufacturers are just being more cautious and double checking their power ratings in production-ready cars after witnessing the 1999 Cobra nightmare.
    Everything I've heard about the Q says that the slower times are due to tall gearing, (Some mag said it was 20% taller than the LS430 I think) not to any engine deficency. But I'm sure some magazine is already strapping one to a dyno somewhere hoping to scoop a story on it...
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    Don't forget those Miatas...
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    it's kinda funny how they tuned the power down by 5 hp after the Q45 0-60 time 'conspiracy'.

i guess a major goof-up like that keeps manufacturers honest.

how did Toyota manage to bring the 2002 Camrys out a month earlier than anticipated? And that's with minimal spy photos. I guess they have a lot of pull in the auto industry.

I also think that they may be a little wary of the new Altima too, so they wanted to get a head start.
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    who cares?! 175 or 180! My god! NO other four banger makes 175 hp in this class! Let's not get so bogged down by numbers here even before the actual car comes to the dealers!
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    The Camry is out, but there are no road tests or advertisements out. Sounds like production is way ahead of marketing. I wasn't bias one way or the other between the Camry and Altima, but I'm mighty excited about the new Camry now that I actually seen one. It looks fantastic and the interior of the new Camry is more to my tastes. Still looking forward to the new Altima, but I think the Camry is going to rain on the Altima's parade a little bit. Pity the domestics in this class.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    Excited about a Camry?. Talk about an oxymoron. Don't get me wrong, they are wonderful cars, but their driving feel is anything BUT exciting.
  • ripinrocketripinrocket Member Posts: 157
    Toyota has always been good at hiding cars from the spy photographers. You see very few spy pics of camoflouged Toyota future products.

I believe sketches of the approx. Camry were leaked out months ago. I remember seeing sketches of the 2002 Camry since about 6 months ago. Same headlights & tailights.

Also, Toyota has typically not brought out a marketing blitz for Camry's at introduction.

WHen the 1997 Camry was first introduced, it was basically the same as it is now for the 2002 Camry: Car comes out early, ads come a bit later.

I think the Altima will hurt Camry sales slightly, but I think the Altima will hurt Accord sales more. The Camry, since 1997, has been positioned as more of a luxury car. Therefore the Camry has a generally older customer base. The Altima really isn't going to be for most of them because the Altima is going to be positioned more on Sportiness and less on luxury. The *sportiness* aspect is apparent in basically every facet of the Altima, from it's exterior styling to it's interior styling to it's marketing campaign.
  • tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    I hope the VQ engines are better than the Pathfinder's. The Pathfinder (pre 240 HP) roars above 3k RPM but doesn't do much. I know that's because it's getting out of the torque curve and pulling those weak horses.
    There's not a doubt in my mind that the V6 will be smooth as silk and quiet...but the I4 will be ...an I4. Keep those revs low or it's gonna squeal!
    Just to tell ya, I test drove the new Camry yesterday, and I think the Altima may not have as much competition. I'm very much a Toyota and Honda fan, but the QUALITY of these camrys were BAD! Read my full post under the Toyota Camry board for details. Overall fit and finish were about GM or Ford-like. Brakes were ok, steering was funky, but the engine was nice (158hp?). If you're looking for a rocket, the Altima is it.
    As far as price goes, those who live near Carmax (or carmax.com) should try their pricing when it first comes out. They are selling the 2002 Max for $1500 under MSRP right now!

Let the games begin!
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "excited about a Camry?. Talk about an oxymoron"

I hear you. But I saw the new one last night and it looked very good to my eyes. Chances are good that the new car will be like the last car where noise suppression and ride comfort will take precedence over all else and lack the sportiness of the new Altima.
  • ripinrocketripinrocket Member Posts: 157
    tim_hooligan,

I would you saw bad quality from the Camry because it is one of the first built.

I'm sure if you go back in a month and look, quality will be much better.
    "I hope the VQ engines are better than the Pathfinder's"

The VQ is the best engine that Nissan makes. That's the one that keeps winning all the awards @ Ward's World. Nissan knows how good this engine is and that is why it is going in just about every V6 car. Pathfinder, Maxima, Altima, the upcoming 350Z, Infiniti I30/I35, and supposedly in the G35 too.

Do yourself a favor and drive a Nissan car with a VQ, the engine is a gem.
  • barnonebarnone Member Posts: 118
    if only all the other parts of the car are as good as it's VQ engine, i would have purchased a nissan.
  • exzaveexzave Member Posts: 16
    Almost had to launch on you until I re-read your post. You said "pre-240 hp......" Yes earlier, Pathfinders were underpowered. But they had the 33VE engine not a VQ series from the Maxima.

I own a new 250 hp (Manual tran.) Pathfinder.
    It has plenty of punch above 3K rpms. Powerband is nice and wide, but really picks up at about 2800 rpm's. Heck I dont even bother to downshift to pass. (We dont need no stinking fourth gear).
    Was worth learning how to drive a stick ;).
    Should make a requirement for new 3.5 Altimas
    Ho-Ho

Exzave
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I understand what you're saying about your 96 Pathfinder. This was one of the reasons I never purchased the earlier PF's, I always liked the looks, but it was a real slug...that was untill the 2001's were introduced. My 2001 PF with its vast improvements and its new VQ engine is smooth, quiet and power is more than adequate to push the heavy Pathfinder that it is. If the new Altima lives up to everybodys expectations, I will soon be selling the Accord to buy this promising new vehicle. Can't wait to test drive one. Looked at the 2002 Camry yesterday...although nice I wasn't impressed...the interior less so, the exterior was a pleasant departure from the current design.
  • vnguyen1vnguyen1 Member Posts: 9
    Just test drove 4cl 02 camry today as I posted on Camry board. Totally don't feel want to buy it even though the vehicle is powerful and smooth enough for a family car. Maybe the body style and interior make the vehicle boring. I still remember how I was excited when I test drove and bought a Niss 240sx years ago. I am gonna try 02 Altima next month. Hope that I feel good on test drive like I did it with Niss 240sx before. If not then I 'll buy a 02 cr-v.
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    Anyone have a link for the 2002 Camry???

The VQ engine is a gem...I agree. The engine is esp good in the 3000 - 4500 range. Plenty of umph from 60 to 100 mph. Really quiet too. I can't wait to see 0-60 times for the 6-speed maxima.

If anyone can post a link to the Camry, I'd appreciate it.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Camry pics are at www.camryman.org. No specs posted anywhere yet as far as I know.

Now, back to the Altima. ;-)

I think I'm going to end up getting an Altima, maybe a Maxima. I wouldn't even have considered the Camry except Toyota promoted how much sportier the new one would be. IMHO, the result was pretty lame (for a semi-enthusiast). I'm sure their current buyers will think it's just fine, but it's not what they said it would be. I really think the Altima is going to gain some market share.
    Thanks for the link!

I'm not too impressed with the Camry. The exterior, front looks OK, but the rear reminds me of the current Taurus.

The dash looks worse than the Altima. It's too plain, too impersonal.

I agree that the altima will take a small portion of the pie if this is the best Toyota can do. However I'll reserve final judgement until I see one in person.

Also...anyone have a link to any 'spy' shots of the new Accord? 2003 I think?
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Just saw a new online ad for the '02 Altima on the Car and Driver site. I was reading an article and suddenly this ad superimposed itself over the text. Pretty annoying actually. Try reading any article at the C&D site and you'll see what I mean.
  • hmpowerhmpower Member Posts: 20
    That pop up ad is really annoying, I couldn't read anything until it went away...When I first saw it, I decided to order the information - I was hoping for a brochure, I got a 2 page booklet that said little more than the car will be all new for 2002 - absolutely no new info at all - now I can probably look forward to annoying cards from the local dealer.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Workers at the Altima plant are criticising Nissan and their working conditions.
    These angry workers might not be putting full effort into quality control.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/15/business/15AUTO.html

• tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    So, is the union good thing or bad thing?
    In a simple phrase:

It's gonna cost you more to have less.

IMO, it's BAD! :(
  • tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    Don't know if it's been posted earlier, but here's a link to the first car that rolled off the production line (according to nissannews.com). Looks smart in that color! woohoo!

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/news/products/images2001082100306/MVC-001F.JPG

It looks good.
    I will probably go and test drive one the day a local dealer gets an SE automatic in stock even though I will probably wait for a while for the supply to be built up before actually trying to buy one if I like it.
    I am very curious to see if the ride with the sport suspension and 17" low profile performance tires is comfortable and quiet enough to be liveable.

I heard that if you want a smooth ride, you need the 2.5 SL because the SE has a harder ride, but if you want a smooth engine, you need the 3.5 SE because the 2.5 engine is noisy. Too bad there is no 3.5 SL with the V6 and the smoother tires and suspension.
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    I don't know why you guys are all excited about the new Altima look. Looks like another typical Japanese econobox to me. Just like the Corollas, Sentras, Civics. Not that I think it is bad ,I drive one such econobox myself.
    Who is "all excited?" I like the way it looks in the photos, that's all. I didn't say it was the best looking car that has ever been made in all automotive history. It does look a little more stylish than a Sentra or Corolla at least even though it is not all that daring in style.
    I'm sure I like the exterior, but I want to see the interior in person or at least see some high-quality photos of production model interiors that are taken without flash before I judge that.
  • asdxereasdxere Member Posts: 29
    Has anyone seen the passenger side of the 2002 Altima, close-up ?
    I was wondering if Nissan is still going to continue the
    "no passenger keyhole" routine with the Altima, as well ?
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    geez, I don't think there is as keyhole on the passenger side... look at the motortrend pictures -- I certainly don't see one there. What is the deal with that?! Well, at least it has the keyless entry that everyone will use 95% of the time.

Altima looks like a typical econobox? Then I guess I should say that the new Q45 looks like an econobox as well, since the Altima mimicks the Q from the front and in the roofline.
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    It's good looking for a family sedan, especially the ones in the new Motor Trend issue. Being able to rival a Porsche Boxster in the 1/4 mile is pretty cool too : )
  • ecarmackecarmack Member Posts: 161
    If you thought the TL-S ride wasn't comfortable enough, I bet the Altima SE will also be a little too harsh. Living in the Midwest, I would actually prefer 16 inch wheels standard with the option of 17 inch wheels. I do not want the expense of bent rims or the expense and hassle of having a separate winter set.
    What's the big deal??.. my 2000 Maxima SE doesn't have a passanger keyhole and frankly who cares?. That's what the keyless entry is for. I have yet to use my car keys to open the car door.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    Ditto speedracer3's opinion. Nissan, Volkswagen, and Volvo are among the companies that have done away with the passenger keyhole. I'm sure it saves them money, but personally I think a car's lines look slicker without it.
  • joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    Well the car may look a bit "slicker" without the keyhole but 10 years from now when a lot of the keyless entry systems no longer work, many owners will be cursing the lack of keys for the passenger door and in many cases (not nissan) the trunk. Ergonomics at its worst. Gagets,gadgets, gadgets. Americans are addicted.
    Its even worse for some european cars. MBs use some fancy IR key. I'm sure a lot of those systems will fail with time. In this case you won't even be able to start the damn car. But it oh SO COOL. Thats what sells.
    Actually, I have an older car which doesn't have keyless entry. During the winter's snow and freezing rain, I find myself locked out of my car because the keyhole freezes and the darn lock won't turn. There is nothing more embarassing or upsetting than not being able to get into your car on a freezing cold day.

I welcome keyless entry and technology in general. Some MB's are virtually impossible to steal because of the special keys that they employ. I'd much rather have that after investing $40K+ on a MB.
  • joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    You have a good point. I have also been frozen out of my vehicle a few times myself. Ok then why not have keyless entry and key locks on all doors? Wouldn't that make most sense?
    I still stand by my comments about the smart keys used by MB. I am a physicist who has worked as a semiconductor device engineer most of my career. Take my word for it. A certain percentage of those won't work (may be the key itself or maybe the system) after a certain number of years. And there will be a lot of very frustrated and angry owners.
  • jeffyjcjeffyjc Member Posts: 14
    has anyone seen prices on these? or the new SE-R sentra? Thanks
  • smithconsmithcon Member Posts: 6
    I just realized that they removed the option package table from the NissanNews.com website? I wonder how long it's been gone -- or have they simply moved it? It used to be a at the end of the "Specifications" page, after the standard Features tables.

Luckily, I have a printout of the original page. When I realize the page had been changed, I quickly scanned for other changes on the standard features and specs tables. There were a few minor wording changes, some moving around of some stuff under different sub-headers, but there were also some changes of minor substance;

1. Power windows/locks have been added to the 2.5 base model (thus cascading through the whole line, as each builds from the 2.5 -- it was a curious omission from the original version, since they listed such basics as the fuel door release and the rear defroster all along).

2. Coin Holder added to 2.5 base.

3. Originally, they had both "power" and "manual" dual outside mirrors listed on the 2.5 base. Now the power phrase has been deleted; it was probably a typo to begin with.

4. "Manual transmission clutch interlock" deleted from 2.5 base. What is a "Manual transmission clutch interlock"?!! I hope the clutch still disengages the transmission from the engine ...

5. 60/40 split rear seat was listed w/o lock on 2.5 base, and with lock on 2.5 S. Now, lock is included on 2.5 base.

6. "Steering wheel controls" has been added to description of trip computer for 2.5 SL (but not to 3.5 SE)

7. Added "Cruise Control w/steering wheel controls" to 3.5 SE, 3.5 SL. (between audio, cruise, and trip computer controls on the steering wheels I hope there is room left for hands!) Cruise was another curious omission from my early printout.

8. Added 5-spd manual to 3.5 SE. Seems redundant, but maybe it indicates a different version with different ratios? Either way, it's probably just normal web-site wierdness.

9. In the top specs box, in addition to the HP change on the I4 and the new EPA ratings, some weight gains have appeared; 1 pound for each base model (must be that rear seat lock!), 11 pounds for each S, 2 - 4 pounds for each SL, and 29-30 pounds for each SE (I guess I'll have to lose about 30 pounds to maintain that optimal HP/weight ratio they had posted originally).

10. For the absolute trivia buff, my original list showed a separate, 57.8 inch height for the 17 inch wheels, and a 57.9 inch height for the 16 inchers. The height now simply states 57.9 (they must have topped off the air in the 17s).

I, like others on this list, am awaiting a 3.5 SE manual. I was looking to see if prices had been posted yet when I noticed the missing option lists. I hope they are being re-worked; I didn't care for the option dependencies they had built in.

I especially am surprised that you need a sunroof and a spoiler for the Xenon headlights. At 6' 8", sunroofs are my nemesis, as I need every millimeter of headroom I can get. The spoiler, although not bad looking in pictures, is not something I want stuck onto the back of my car. The headlights are something I want for the improved vision I am told they offer. However, I can, and will, live without them (assuming a 3.5 SE is ever actually built without these options -- I can imagine the dealer checking virtually all of the options on their SE allocations).

The other item that dismays me more is that Traction Control is not available with the 5-speed. This is probably more of a technical issue than a packaging one, but TC has saved me many times on ice and snow covered hills. Once again, I can and will live without it.

Here my rambling ends, and the waiting game continues ...
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    RE: item 4 above, I am presuming this is the deal where you have to depress the clutch pedal in order to operate the starter. [Can't simply turn the key with the trans in neutral.] This is, of course, to prevent the inadvertent start with the car in gear [yeah, we've all tried to do it at least once].
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Thanks for your recent post and clarifying these differences. I also want a White SE with a 5-speed trans and cloth interior. This combination may be hard to find so I may custom order this car, but I don't want to wait forever. The Altima is made in the US so I am hoping the delivery time is much shorter, like 4-6 weeks not 8-12. Any guesses?
  • thebandleaderthebandleader Member Posts: 53
    My current car doesn't have a passenger keyhole, but I didn't even realize it for several months, until someone else noticed... guess I didn't need it. I also have an iMac and have found out I didn't need a floppy drive either.
  • jeffyjcjeffyjc Member Posts: 14
    not sure this was listed before ...site for specs and photo downloads..under pricing sorry coming soon...jeff

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/product/vehicles/altima/glance.html

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    What's a floppy drive? :) Must be one them old school things, like a 56k modem.
    Has anyone noticed that with the "revised preliminary" the 2002 Altima 5spd SE now weights more than the 2002 5spd Maxima SE?

It may be only by one pound BUT it does show that the Altima no longer has the advantage in the weights dept.

taken from nissannews.com
    Don't worry. More weight will probably be added to the new Maxima to make it heavier than a 2002 Altima.
  • nautikernautiker Member Posts: 32
    Has anybody seen/heard of the available colors?? I am been doing extensive research on the web regarding this car and one specific site mentioned a possibility of 10 colors. I've seen the green/gray hue shown @ the NY auto show and silver on the Nissan website. White, Black, and Red are probably a given as well.

I'm looking to get my wife into this car hopefully in a couple of months. She has a '96 Honda Accord and loves the low dashboard. Looks as if this dashboard will be along the same lines of being "knee height". Hopefully this will be a well-built, fairly-priced, "sleeper" of a car where the dealers won't have to mark-up the MSRP due to demand. . .although, buy the looks and numbers of these posts, we'll be waiting to buy one next spring or so. . .Never had a Nissan before and I currently have a '00 Volkswagen GTI VR6. I don't think any car built today would have the problems that were so common 10-15 years ago. . . all of them now are mostly computer problems. Look forward to more info on this ride. .
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Exterior
    Noveau Ruby
    Satin White
    Opal Blue
    Seascape(NY Autoshow model)
    Velvet Beige(Other model @ NY Autoshow)
    Sheer Silver
    Mystic Emerald
    Polished Pewter
    Super Black
    ?

The other color I do not know

Interior
    Charcoal
    Blond
    Frost
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Leather is pretty nice. Open, spacious interior. Car's inside feels like a 747 compared to the Camry and Accord or last gen Altima. The stalk switches are thick, nicely integrated into the dash's three pods. Pods seem a bit deep, could be problem reading gauges clearly. Seat controls are nice and the center armrest apes the Maxima's folding according re-sizing ability.

Dash materials are cheap, cheap, cheap hard plastics. After my VW, the Altima's dash and center stack feel like a toy - nothing the least bit luxurious about the Altima's dash. If the Passat was the target, Nissan hit Hyundai. A flimsy door beneath the AC controls gives the impression it will break soon after purchase.

Couldn't drive it...wouldn't have anyway as it was a 3.5 SE Auto. Look forward to trying on the 5 speed.
This discussion has been closed.