Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Si / SiR 2005 and earlier

Comments

• anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    The common thread is the S2000, the RSX, and the SI have all had some levels of initial oil consumption that seem to taper off or end after a few thousand miles are placed on the engines.
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    I updated my email address.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Please refer to my last message.

To vadp- Thanks for updating your profile. Please read my email. Also, feel free to link your article, about the Civic Type R, into one of these appropriate discussions: Honda Civic Type R or Honda Civic Hatchbacks.

And now back to the subject of the Honda Civic Si!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • siarizonasiarizona Member Posts: 15
    As I was cleaning my Si today, I decided to take off the i-VTEC stickers and the Civic badge on the back. It looks cleaner now, plus I live in AZ, where plastic stickers don't do too well in the dry heat. I'm not embarrassed I drive a Civic, but I just like a clean car. Why do I need a sticker on each side that says "i-VTEC DOHC?" The only people who know what that means know what kind of car and engine I have. And the Civic badge...it's an Si as far as I am concerned.

If you're interested in doing the same, I have a few tips.

1. Buy some Goo Gone. It is the best at dissolving any sticky goo left on your paint.

2. For the Civic badge or any plastic badge that's held on with sticky foam tape, use floss to cut throught the foam. If it's cold, use a hair drier to warm up the foam and glue, it will come off easier.

3. For the i-VTEC stickers, I just parked one side in the sun and then peeled up one corner and the whole thing came off. Go slow. Again, if it's cold, use a hair drier.

Has anyone upgraded wheels to 15 or 16"? Any recommendations? Might be a while before I can get that past my financial advisor (wife), but am interested in any issues.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I've got an issue with wheel vibrations that I posted in the Civic problems area. I welcome your constructive input.
    Look for Moparbad's message at Post #1655 in our Honda Civic Problems discussion. Also, please respond to his message in that discussion; others passing through that area will benefit. Thanks!

Helpful Links: You'll now find a direct link to our Honda Civic Problems discussion in the Helpful Links box on the left side of the page.

To siarizona - Thanks for the tips! Happy motoring!

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards

If you are considering a Si then now is a good time to buy. Take a look at what they are selling for by following this link moparbad "Honda Civic Owners: What did you pay?" Dec 2, 2002 9:41pm
    If you already own one then don't look at what they are selling for now;)
  • edwarda1edwarda1 Member Posts: 18
    Dealer has one leftover 2002 Civic SI. Asking $16,400. Opinions, please.
    With multiple dealers offering civic Si for less than $15K from Maryland to Chicago to California it would not be a very good purchase price at $16,400 though it would be a decent value for what the car offers. At $1400 difference I would buy a $100 plane ticket and drive to pick up the car. There should be enough Honda dealers in your area to get one of them to sell you one for $15K. 2003 Si are selling for $16,500 to $17,000 in the Chicago area. Tell your dealer you will buy a 2003 for $16,4 but for a 2002 they need to do better.
    I would definitely not pay $16,400 for it without any accessories added. Tell them you will pay $16,400 but only if they include mud guards, floor mats, fog lights and/or tinted windows, and the rear cargo net. If they won't do that then offer them $15,500-$15,900 and don't go any higher.
  • edwarda1edwarda1 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks to Anonymusposts and Morparbad for your help.
    Edwarda1
  • hamproofhamproof Member Posts: 241
    want. Some dealerships are pretty anal and they won't budge esp. when they know the other dealerships are not going to offer any lower than their prices.

For example, I contacted 5 different Honda dealerships within 30 miles of each other in the metro Detroit area (there are at least 12 in all I think) but none of them will even go lower than the best price among themselves which is $15,990 + dest. In the end, I manage to find a dealership about an hour away that will sell the car at $15,990 with dest. included and throw in floormats and waive doc fee ($40 in MI). On top of that they carry the MacNiel rubber mats for $70 that are sold on mats.com for $80 (black).

I saved about $600 in all but is it worth all the trouble?? You decide.
    Anyone else annoyed by the automatic AC whenver the defrost is on?

Here is how to defeat it.
    1. Turn off car.
    2. Turn all three ventilation knobs to the left.
    3. At the same time hold in the AC and Recirc buttons.
    4. Turn on the car and continue to hold the AC and Recirc button until the AC light flashes.
    Now you can turn the AC off when in defrost mode.

Caution- get someone to help you if you can't do two things at once.
    over the A/C system of the car esp. since when you switch back to whatever mode you were on before defrost the A/C doesn't go off like it is suppose to in most other cars. I guess if Civics and CRVs do not have this glitch, we won't be so annoyed at the A/C automatically coming on.

But I guess Honda makes this quirk in the A/C is because most people do not know that it is the A/C that dehumidifies the air that clears up the fogging. So now w/ the A/C disabled, when one puts it in defrost mode will wonder why the windows and windshield do not clear.

The only way to solve this would be for Honda to fix this glitch. Make sure when we change the mode from defrost, set the A/C back to whatever was set before. If A/C was set on before switching to defrost, keep it on. Otherwise, keep it off.
    It's just one button. Is it really that hard to hit the AC button once you switch back to normal ventilation after having it set on defrost? Maybe Honda needs to put the Accord's voice activated control system in the SI.
    the rest of us should have to live with it.

It is a glitch. Other cars A/C default back to whatever setting you had before switching to defrost.

Save your breath and don't argue on this. A glitch is a glitch no matter how small.

Say one day Honda decides to do the same thing to the cruise control. You hit a button to activate cruise control function. You set your speed and cruise. But once you hit the brake or cancel, Honda makes you press that little button to activate cruise control function again, each and every time. How would you feel??
    It's not a glitch. But, whatever.
    If it is not a glitch what is it? A feature? Come on. Get real
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Found on many other cars. It's on my Lexus. In fact the A/C is on all the time unless you specifically turn it off. So yes it is a feature to all but the serious controlaholics out there.
    It is a feature for the A/C to come on when you hit defrost or turn the output to defrost and foot mode. Yes, we all know that.

But what I'm talking about is, say I have the A/C switch off but in face mode. Now, I hit the defrost or put it on defrost and foot mode. Voila, the A/C comes on and helps in the defogging. The Civic does it as well as most cars. However now when I switch it back to face mode, the A/C button stays on whereas in some cars, the A/C button will default to what it was prior to switching to defrost mode. Since I have the A/C off when it was in face mode, it should be off but the Civic doesn't do that. It stays on.

This is the glitch we are talking about. Not the A/C coming on when in defrost mode.
    If you know the A/C is on. And you do by the indicator. It would be a glitch if the light went off and the A/C stayed on. If you know the A/C is on it's really not that much trouble to turn the A/C off since your hand is already up there turning off the defroster.

Considering some cars don't have this "glitch" in any form whatsoever why not just be happy. In addition someone just gave the directions how to turn the "glitch" off. That'll take the car back a few model years.
    The problem is that the AC does not turn off when the defrost is off. What other car leaves the AC on? This question is those of you who think having the AC left on is a nice feature. If this is not a irritating feature then then I do not know what is.
    Majority rules.
    The *fix* to this glitch doesn't take the car back a few years. What the fix does is allow us to manually turn the A/C off when in defrost mode if we chose to do so. As it is, in defrost mode (or defrost and foot mode), you cannot turn the A/C off in the Civic. The fix circumvents this.

What we are referring to is when we switch back to the mode we were originally (before defrost), most cars will automatically set the A/C to what it was before defrost was selected. That's what we are referring too. Apparently both you and anony. seem to not understand this.

The fix does not NOT turn on the A/C when in defrost mode. If it does that, you are right. It'll take the car back a few years. The fix allows us to manually turn off the A/C when in defrost mode if we choose to. Get it? What we want is for the A/C setting to default back to what it was prior to selecting defrost mode.

Ok, I've said repeated myself twice. Get it?
    Is it common for the parking light to be on when the low beam is ok on a car? I just got done swapping Sylvania SilverStar on my Si. The low beam is now really white :) A quick drive around the neighborhood shows good white color from the low beam. I don't think visibility in terms of distance and coverage is much better than stock. Certainly no where near HIDs (prior experience w/ OEM Audi Xenons) but I know before hand. I did notice the little bulb above the low beam is an ungodly yellowish color. So is the side markers.

Well, assuming it is normal for the parking light to come on with the low beam, I guess I have to find some white ones too for that.
    You can repeat yourself if you'd like but I understand what you are saying I just don't think it's a plausible complaint. My point is how big of a deal is it to cut the AC back off? I do know that when you switch from defrost to normal ventilation the AC stays on. So when you turn your defrost off and you don't want your AC on ... then just HIT THE AC BUTTON. It's not rocket science.
    I had my tires rotated and balanced yesterday and the car drives better than it has since I bought it. Smooth, smooth, smooth is all I have to say.
    I wouldn't buy it. Not only are you dealing with a salvage title you are dealing with a TMU car. It would be a nightmare to try and resale this car. Pay a little more and get a straight up SI. You may have to pay closer to $13000 for one in good shape with low miles but it will be worth it.
    It is 21 degrees today and thanks to the instructions that I will repeat at the end of this post I now have the ability to turn off the AC when it is 21 degrees F. Except for one stubborn mule that does not accept logic I believe that most people will appreciate being able to control the AC on their own. No need to have the extra parasitic loss of having the AC running when it is not needed.

Dealer called and the part is in to repair my fuel system. (See, I told you it was not the gas cap! You just won't listen and you know who I am referring to)

A little less than 2K miles on my Si so far and it is proving to be a very enjoyable car to drive. Kudos to Honda for the seat design, much better than the OK seats in my 2003 Tacoma.

With a defect in the first 1,000 miles the Si is starting poorly but I have expectations for it to be nearly problem free for the rest of the time I own it. Any car can have initial defects. My Si should have very low maintenance costs with the first tune up not needed until after 100,000 miles.

Once again here are the instructions for the AC tweak.
    Here is how to defeat it.
    1. Turn off car.
    2. Turn all three ventilation knobs to the left.
    3. At the same time hold in the AC and Recirc buttons.
    4. Turn on the car and continue to hold the AC and Recirc button until the AC light flashes.
    Now you can turn the AC off when in defrost mode.
    And MOST people couldn't care less about the A/C switch coming on during defrost. It's not a big deal to MOST people. MOST people are just thankful the windows clear off. MOST people buy Civic LX automatics and think the power is just fine. But if you hang out online you'd think MOST people have problem cars of [insert make here] and have control issues. Not to mention the Civic is inferior because it's not as fast as [insert mofel here]. MOST people just want to get to work and come home.

I can understand why a FEW people would like to have that option. It was discussed in the LS400 forum by ONE person there also. But the consensus was it was no big deal and was more a convenience.
    After "tweaking" the AC it still comes on in defrost. Not a big deal. The tweak only allows you to turn the AC off if you want to when you have defrost on. The control freaks at Honda decided not to give you the ability to control the AC on/off while in defrost. A nice person at Honda did however provide the "tweak" instructions.

gee35- can you define MOST and FEW and CONSENSUS to 4 pages of posts from people who were unhappy with the AC / Defrost OEM setup? A CONSENSUS is not two people and what is the yelling with CAPS all about? We have the Antarctica symbol in common. Can't we be friends;)
    But 3,4,30 pages pale in comparison to how many peple couldn't care less is my point.

Caps are yelling it's emphasis.

And the consensus was everyone in the forum except the ONE person who wanted control of the A/C.

Everyone else was happy since in the Lexus the A/C is on nearly all the time anyway for dehumidification. The same issue was brought up in the Acura forum. I'm sure there are those that want this control but again it's really a small concern.
    There are just as many people who leave the A/C on all the time and control the temp with the heat knob.
    Let me repeat it again. After the *fix*, the A/C still comes on during defrost. This is common in most cars. However, at least now we are able to turn it off if we choose to.

But that's not the problem we are talking about. If I had the A/C off before defrost, when I switch back to whatever mode I had before, the A/C should automatically go off rather than staying on. This is what we are talking about! Please read it again and again till you get it!

It doesn't matter if it is just a matter of pushing 1 button. There are 2 problems Honda need to address.

1. Allow us to cut the A/C off if we choose to in defrost mode.

2. Default the A/C back to what we set it to initially prior to defrost mode when changing back.

Both gee35coupe and anony can argue all they want since they are a couple, but face it. Most cars do not do this! In your beloved Lexus I can bet you that if you turn the A/C off in face mode and switch over to defrost, the A/C will come on. BUT when you change it back to face mode, the A/C will be off coz' that's what you set it to be before defrost.
  • greenguygreenguy Member Posts: 78
    To put sertain people on ignore? I know I can just skip the post but come on, enuf with what bothers "You", must bother "Me" crud! Its not even a good debate. Both sides of the arguement were made, and well the jury is out. I made my choice, and well all I can say is, "Enuf already!!!"
    thanks. (Off Soap Box)
  • robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    I have a CRV which does the same thing. I enjoy the A/C coming on automatically with defrost/defog, and wouldn't turn it off. But, I also think that it shouldn't remain on when switched to another setting, if it wasn't on before. If my AC is off in floor heat mode, and I switch to floor heat and defog, I appreciate the A/C coming on. Now, let me switch back to floor heat, with no AC, without turning it off. It's a small complaint, and I can deal with it, no problem. But, there is not a good arguement for having the system work this way. This is a software bug, no matter how anyone else explains it, in my opinion.
    unanswered. For example, I've asked how best to hardwire a Valentine1 radar detector and have gotten no responses. I asked this question twice about a month ago.

I also asked about the parking light but no one answered (yet).

Here's another question. I would like to get alu. pedals and a titanium shift knob. Anyone has any recommendations? A good titanium/aluminum shift knob, like the Rob KnobII for Audis and BMWs
    Rob Knobs

One w/ substantial weight. Not just for looks.
  • dfbidwelldfbidwell Member Posts: 21
    I agree with Robmarch.
    Hi Hamproof - Yes, good idea to ask your questions more than once, especially when the discussion is moving fast. Also, if you don't get the response you want in this discussion, you should try asking in our Honda Modifications and/or Radar detectors discussions. Good luck.

Revka

My 2000 SI does it that way and my Lexus's A/C is on whenever the automatic climate control is on. That's the way they designed it. They gave an option to change it for the miniscule amount of people who can't bear to not have an option. Obviously there were focus groups or something and the studies indicated most people like the feature. I do. I'm droppin it.
    As for the radar detector just find a DC that's switched and splice into it if there's no open fuse connection. It's easy.
    My 2000 SI has 36,500 miles. No problems. Has a CAI, Exhaust, upper lower chassis braces, blackout headlight housings, and stock wheels. Runs lke a top on Syntec. I prefer it to the 2002's for it's 8000 rpm redline.
    "I know I can just skip the post but come on..."

Other than ignoring/scrolling, the best way to deal with what you're talking about is to just start up a new subject, and invite other people to join in.... Also, don't hesitate to post your message again if it doesn't take the first time.

Speaking of which, I haven't seen any detailed vehicle reports/updates in this discussion, at least not in quite some time.

Anyone interested in listing: total miles to date, current mpg (city/highway), maintenance to date, new accessories/mods, road trips, and overall impressions as compared to when you first purchased...? Also, you can report back every 3-5k miles to update again. I think this would be interesting. ;-)

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
    2002 Silver Si owned for over a month and less than two. Just under 2,000 miles and average 26 mpg with 2/3 miles on the highway. Maintenace so far is one trip to dealer for CEL and the diagnosis was fuel system leak going to engine. Part was ordered and is in so I need to schedule a second trip to dealer. Only defect seems to be poorly fitted/installed carpet in passenger footwell. Also I have added nearly a quart of oil. I hope that as miles increase oil usage will decrease. I babied the car during break in.

Pros- Fun to drive. Great seats. Good handling. Lot's of space for such a small car. Smooth engine and excellent shifter. Standard sunroof. Standard ABS. Actual price that Si is selling for is excellent value.

Cons- Small wheels and tires. Just an average audio system that is not as good as the one in Sentra SER or Focus SVT. Headlights do not illuminate as well as my VW Golf. I would rate the headlights as average. MSRP $19,400 including freight is too high for this car IMHO. Only one 12V power outlet. No cargo hooks in hatch area to use in securing items.

My overall impression of the Si is that it delivers on my pre-purchase expectations. I recommend it for someone who wants a small sporty car that is reliable and does not need to have rear passengers very often.

re gee35 - no wonder you could not understand the AC issue if you do not even own a 2002 or 2003 Si. It makes a difference if you drive a car every day. 2000 and 2002 Si are very different.
    Ok.. one last time

My 2000 SI does it that way and my Lexus's A/C is on whenever the automatic climate control is on.

WE ARE NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS!!! How many times do we have to tell you. We do not have a problem with the A/C coming on when in defrost mode. We just want the A/C to go back to what it was prior to switching to defrost mode! And we also want to be able to shut off the A/C if we so choose to in defrost mode. Read robmarch's post many times over. Maybe have anony explain to you if she understand what we are trying to tell you.

Please someone... explain it to him.

"Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth??" ... so to speak.
    a how to. How to run the wires, how to remove the panels to hide them, how to etc.

Basically, I'm looking for some instructions in telling me how to remove the trims around the radio/AC area so I can hide the wires and mount the remote display.
    My 2000's A/C stays on too after leaving defrost just like the 2002. I like most people never even noticed it or let it bother me. I understand you. What you don't understand is that it's no big deal to a majority of people obviously or Honda would change it.

Run the wires down the pillar, beside the dash next to the door and down under the dash. You may have to pioneer this one. I quit using em a few years back since I find that cautious driving and keen eyes beat a radar detector every time.
    Thanks for the tip

Run the wires down the pillar, beside the dash next to the door and down under the dash

I'll make sure to stick my head down to the floor to look at the remote display :P

I'm running the wires (phone cables) along the A-Pillar down to the dash though connected to the cigarette light adapter for the time being since I've to find the correct connection to use in the fuse box. But in either case, I need an elegant way to run the wire up to the center storage area (just below the radio). That's where I am mounting the remote display and right now, I used double sided tape to hold the wire in place along the edges. I would like to ideally drill a hole small enough to snake the phone line through the center storage area and down to the fuse area eventually. Don't like the sight of wires the way I have it now. I just need to know which screws and trims to remove in what order so I can better hide the wires behind the radio.

Btw, does your Lexus A/C stays on (if you had it off prior to changing it to defrost) when you switch it back? We all know Honda cars have this quirk. My A4 didn't do this.
    mode the A/C is on unless you turn it of manually. The default is A/C on all the time. It was discussed at length in the LS400 forum where someone wanted to turn off the a/c with the defrost.
    Everyone said since the A/C is the default when the Climate was on and the computer shut the A/C of when it was too cold why would you need to shut off the A/C? Just cause he wanted to.
    Oh well.
    Greenguy - thanks for the link. I'll definite wire up the detector this weekend the correct way :) now that I know how to remove the panels.
    If you didn't keep asking questions.
    But at the end of your posts you always ask a question. It coulda been done with "Turn it off". And this whole crap woulda been done.

"Btw, does your Lexus A/C stays on (if you had it off prior to changing it to defrost) when you switch it back?" Yes, I'd never notice though since the Auto Climate is always engaged.

"Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?" Yup...But do understand yourself?
    We should all listen to you and learn to live with the quirks in our Honda. If someone had not posted the fix for the A/C, we should live with not being able to turn the A/C off. Now that we have the fix, we should learn to live with Honda not setting the A/C to off if we had it on off before prior to defrost.

Sorry, but I don't live my live accepting something that is clearly a mistake. If we keep doing this, Honda will keep forgetting to fix these quirks.

For your info, in my A4, it does the same thing as your LS400. If I chose auto climate control, like you said, the A/C is always on and under control by the A/C system. However, even under auto climate control, I can still manually switch it over to ECON mode (A/C off) while under auto climate control. Guess what, when I switch to defrost, the A/C comes on like it should. But as soon as I switch it back, the A/C goes off, coz' it was off before defrost.

Looks like you are claiming your LS400 behavior to be different from the auto climate control I'm familiar with.

But this has been beaten to death. But in the end, it is still a quirk. No matter how you try to slice and dice it. Sure it is a small matter but I don't want Honda A/C to end up like most Ford cars. How many Ford owners realize there's no RECIRC button in their A/C system? Maybe Ford thinks their buyers are too dumb to figure out how to use the recirc function. Afterall, not too many people know how to program their VCRs.
    If it's beaten to death why do you always have to post something else about it? Kind of like when you are kids and one of you says "I'm not talking to you any more" and then the other one has to go "Fine" and then the kid who said he was talking any more says "Fine". I don't know why you insist on saying people don't understand YOU when in most instances it could easily be argued the other way.

I have 6700 miles on my SI. Other than a new windshield (and I didn't replace it because of a Honda "quirk") the car has required nothing other than a tire rotation and balance, gas, and me to drive it. I am averaging 28-30MPG with speeds averaging 60MPH on the daily commute to work. Some stop and go but not much. Some highway driving but not much.

Pros: Shifter, seats, engine, overall gas mileage, safety, and the hatch is very convenient.

Cons: It seems to be attracted to mailboxes and shopping carts.
This discussion has been closed.