Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Si / SiR 2005 and earlier

Comments

• crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    I think if you'd use a piece of hardware cloth... aka screen, the kind with 1/4 inch holes in it you'd be fine. The air filter is keeping that stuff out of the manifold, but what if Mikey Rat chews threw the air filter? :surprise: Rodents can do lots of damage. You might want to make sure Mikey hasn't chewed any wires.

Chuck
  • drewzledrewzle Member Posts: 12
    Two clips on the each side of the Glove box, lift the black latch, pull Number One out, slide the other left and out comes the Second One. Caked with leaves, maple seeds and a dead dried hornet. After I refit the holder and popped the new ones in, the air came out much stronger and nicer than before. I always attributed the scent of the "Vents on Recirculate" on when I used too chain smoke in that car. But, in actuality, it's that it was quite gunked up with that crap. I think in the future I will check this more often and just tap it out rather than replacing the filter. (and I quit smoking last October.) That was a good call, blueiedgod. :) As for the Air filter, The mouse didn't actually chew the air filter, but I am taking crashton6's advice and checking the wires tomorrow. ;) *click* and *point*
    Riddle me this Batman. :confuse: I had moisture in the passenger headlight lens. I noticed this 2 months ago. I tried to think, "what should I do"? I thought I could put some silica packets out of a vitamin jar in there to absorb the moisture. A friend suggested I use my brothers air compressor on a low setting through the bulb opening. As I mulled this over, I ignored the situation. Last week the condensation disapeared. It doesn't show any sign that water was in there. I have 2 explanations for this: 1. A gasket (if it even exists) around the lens is torn. It will need to be replaced and the hot weather is hiding the problem. (although latlely there's been no lack of rain) When it is chilly perhaps water will form around it again. 2. The Saw Mill Parkway in New York flooded, and foolishly, I tried to hydroplain over some big puddles. The water got pretty high and it may have entered then. Gradually, in this damn hot weather, all moisture evaporated. And since Honda sprays the inside of the lens with some Rain X compound, it fixed itself. (I would like to believe #2, But I totally made up the Rain X part of it.) :confuse:
  • hondasir383hondasir383 Member Posts: 3
    I to just purchased a '03 Civic Sir and just replaced the factory stereo with something wih a little more punch. Your not going to belive this, but in order to take your old one out, you must first remove your shifter boot, and then you will gain access to the grey panel around and it pops right out. Its a real shock to the system to see the dash ripped apart, but well worth it in the end. Hope this helps.....Cheers :shades:
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    The headlights don't really have a gasket, but rather some silicone-like sticky stuff. Shoot, I have a link to a forum page that explains how to open the lights (to paint them black - looks great, especially on '04-'05s), but I don't know if I can post it.

Basically, you can use RTV Form-A-Gasket No2 as sealant, if you feel that the current seal isn't complete. Set your oven to 300ºF, then turn it off when you place the headlights in there. No more than a few minutes to soften the stuff.
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Factorys use a substance called Butyl Rubber to seal headlights. Like you mentioned headlights can be opened after a few minutes at 300F. However if you use Silicon Sealant you will never be able to open your lights again (without breaking them). You can get Butyl Rubber in strips from a few sources.
  • cedjiecedjie Member Posts: 2
    what's a n EK????? how does it differ from a cx/dx????
    i am planning on buying a honda hatchback.... but with all the existing models, i really dont know where to start. really need your help and advise on this.

thanks a lot
  • cedjiecedjie Member Posts: 2
    thanks!!! that was a big help!!! one last thing.... what does JDM stand for??? USDM?????

people in this country dont speak much english..... all i ever got for a reply was "its a honda"..... so thanks... that clears up all the confusion
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    = "Japanese Domestic Market"

The Civic CX and DX were almost the same price at the end - the CX was the cheaper trim and deleted the rear wiper, had no intermittent front wipers, and a few little things like that. IIRC, there was a center console in the DX that the CX didn't get. Didn't the DX have little hand-operated remote controls for the outside mirrors, and in the CX you had to crank down the window and shove your hand outside to adjust them? It was all stuff like that.

I think you could get A/C in the DX, but not in the CX.

The last of the Civic hatchbacks were truly stripped. OTOH, the VX was a neat little sucker that would get 45 mpg and had those cool little extra-light alloys that were unique to VX. I almost bought one of those in '94. Back then, Honda knew how to put together a really great little compact car that just felt tight and right. By comparison, today's Civics just feel soooo cheap in the context of what's available.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I didn't realize that chassis code list was on a forum. I apologize.

I'm reposting my post, sans forum link.

"If you want a new Civic hatchback, your only choice is the Civic Si
    (manual only). It seems that there won't be any new Civic hatchbacks sold
    in the US in the future...

Used... the '96-'00 Civic hatchback (the EK) only came in CX and DX
    trim, DX being the better equipped of the two (I don't know in what way).
    They both have a dinky 106hp engine, but they're light enough to get
    the most out of that power, and they get great mileage.

The '92-'95 Civic hatchback (EG) came in more levels: CX, VX, DX, and
    Si. I think they all had different power outputs, in that order (CX had
    70hp, Si had 125hp, and the other two are somewhere in between). The VX
    was the one with superhigh mileage, but since you're asking in a Civic
    Si thread, I have to say 'look for an Si!' "

Oh and I'll add that USDM stands for United States Domestic Market. There are always differences between the same car sold in different countries (beyond the obvious, like right-hand-drive JDM cars). JDM stuff is popular in the aftermarket, because a lot of people want to make their Civics look more like the Japanese version... they feel that it makes the car more "authentic". That's probably all you need to know about JDM vs. USDM.
    The original Tires that came with the car were Michelin MXV4 (Standard Touring All-Season). I only rotated them once and they were "fully depreciated" (used up) when I hit 35k. Actually the guys response at the tire place was, 'You drove here on those!?!'
    I tend to be a little rough on my cars. A set of new tires of the same model were pretty expensive. (around $140 per tire, and they sucked in the rain when they have some wear) I went with Goodyear Assurance TripleTred Size: 195/60HR15 (All-Season uni-directional) (around $120 per tire, tax+$50, warrenty +$8 per, balancing and mounting+$10 per) Warrenty is for 70k and based on milage and wear provides discount on next set. (next year most likely) I'm pretty satisfied with performance but I am still deciding whether I like them or not. So here are the questions:
    How long did your stock tires last? How often did you rotate them? What is your driving style? Any other complaints? What did you buy next? And of course, How much did you pay? -Drewzle the Accountant
  • john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    How long did your stock tires last? I changed my tires at about 23 K, although I probably had another 10 K left.
    How often did you rotate them? Once at 15 K
    What is your driving style? Real hard. Every traffic light is basically a drag race unless it's a Corvette or something that will totally smoke me. I'll pretend I'm distracted or too sophisticated for racing if I see a Corvette. Otherwise, everything else is fair game since the car is quicker than stock and my clutch skills are better than most. I'd like to see some more Focus SVT's to run against since I was considering that car also, but they seem to be pretty rare.
    Any other complaints? not really
    What did you buy next? Pirelli tires of the same dimension, but 205 width
    And of course, How much did you pay? ~$320 for all four installed and balanced.
    PreCursor; Oil change went well, The car is now also Mouse free, Haven't done anything about the Condensation that reapeared. (I'll wait to see if I can see Jesus or something in the droplets.) After that is sorted out, I wish to do a performance upgrade. I purchased and read a book on Honda and Acura performance. It was "mostly" recent, I think released in 2000. It suggests that first should be the suspension. (Stiffen the back to help eliminate understear) I have no problem with the cars manueverability and think that they might be refering to other civics. (This cars supension is already stiff enough for me.) Next upgrade is tires, which I already purchased new ones and I am not buying racing slicks. (this car has to be street legal. ) Besides, we all want are cars to go faster. I have done some reading on this cars i-VTEC system. Apparently there are 2 types, The first is the VTEC that all know and have come to love and a Second is one that tries to maximize performance and economy at all RPM ranges after 2100.(which the Si has.) The Type R Si has the first VTEC as well as the RSX Type S. So the VTEC system really isn't as performance as I'd like, but I don't wish to change too much of my car. (no swapping motors or trying to cram a Turbo in there) I thought about an intake but is it truely worth it? Money Vs. HorsePower. I can't see more air helping until after 6000 RPM. And even then, will the intake change the Air Fuel Mixture? So then do I need new Fuel injectors?(reprogram the ECU?) I also enjoy the cars low RPM torque, If I put on an "ultra flow" non tunable exaust will it only count after 6000 RPM? (I imagine it will slow the car down 0k-4kRPM) It would seem to me that the best thing I could do for the car is make it lighter, and balance the weight more evenly. But then I sacrifice traction. I enjoy my car. It performs. (110mph with A/C running this morning, in fifth, floored, on even, straight track ) I think if you wish to have a quick car off the showroom it's real decent. But if you wish to tinker, perhaps buying a second "project" car might be in order. I mean, a second car is cheaper then getting a turbo and installing it.(Just buy a used turbo'd car) Perhaps a car someone already sank money into and is getting rid of. But now I get ahead of myself. What Modifications really made the difference in your Si? (Please don't include descriptions that 'it's REALLY LOUD NOW!!!' because that doesn't do it for me. I want to know the car is fast, I don't care if anyone else hears it. In fact I don't want them to. (I'm low profile.) Please also describe the parameters of the test. (Tach reading, curvy or straight road, raining, clean surface, stop light drag race, lowered or any other mitigating circumstances. also, obviously, the mods you did.)
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    What Modifications really made the difference in your Si?

Replaced the front rotors with Brembo Blanks and EBC Green Stuff pads, made the brakes grip better. That was the only thing that I did not like in the 2002 Si. Replaced the stock Michelins with Bridgestone Potenza Re950's. Give her Mobil 1 0W-20 oil and Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner every 5000 miles (at oil changes).
    Blueiedgod, Why do you use OW-20? Is the use of the Fuel Injector cleaner related to your choice in oil?

I like the Bridgestone Potenza Re950, but it snows too much where I am. (Or they don't plow enough.)
    Upon careful inspection. The turning signal light no longer seats correctly and water is getting in from there. I took out the Headlight and turning signal light and used a hair dryer and got rid of most of the moisture. (Used the hair dryer to heat the lens from the front, not the headlight opening in the back) I took my time, I didn't want to heat it up to much at once. 90% of the condensation is gone. As long as the lens itself isn't damaged I'm in good shape. I'll be ordering a new turning light (with a working gasket) and hopefully get it done before it gets bad again. ps. don't drop the light into the car. I did it twice (with cord attached.) and it took me about 15 - 20 min to fish it out. I could only do this because I have little hands. Otherwise I'd have to open the wheel well or something.
    Blueiedgod, Why do you use OW-20? Is the use of the Fuel Injector cleaner related to your choice in oil?

I like the Bridgestone Potenza Re950, but it snows too much where I am. (Or they don't plow enough.)

Mobil 1 did not come in 5W-20 until this year. They have been offering 0W-20 as a direct replacement to 5W-20. 0W is better for winter, as it does not thicken too much even at -20°F here in Buffalo.

Fuel Injector cleaner is not related to my choice of oil, it just like the results I get with Chevron FI cleaner.

I drove through one winter in Buffalo on RE950's and they are OK. They are not snow tires, but clearance was more of a problem than adhesion. This is why I have a 2005 CR-V manual now.
  • integinteg Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a honda civic w/ a crapload of aftermarket parts. The only thing it needs is that on the dual exhaust, the one muffler needs to be welded back on for some reason. Does anyone know how much this will cost??? I also need winter tires and currently have 19" rims. I dont know if they have snow tires for that size rim. Any suggestions on snow tires as well??
    Thanks
  • mitchiemitchie Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 02 civic used with 28000 KM on it and it was mint. the buy befor didnt drive it during the Winter and took very good care of it. After about 2 weeks of enjoying my ride i started my civic up one morning started driving and the engine started making a whining noise. To me it sounds like the alternator is on its way out the door. I took it into my dealer and they had someone look at it and told me that there was nothing wrong so i disputed, then they had the quality control guy look at it and he said their was nothing wrong with it :-\. I went in had a tech come and sit in the car with me, i started the car and the whining noise was there loud and clear at idle. The mechanic could hear it so i told me thats not normal, it wasnt doing that when i bought it, it is now, and the alternative to not normal is what??? He acknowledged that it was a problem and decided to look at it the next day. He looked at it and found that there was some kind of regulating switch that was reading in the negative so they replaced that thinking it would fix the problem and it has not. They have since called me and told that the noise is normal!!!! Can anyone help me out with this. My Honda is lowered with a body kit and i love showing it off but i cant do that anymore because my car sounds like crap now.
  • hondasir383hondasir383 Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem with my clutch pedal. I took it to honda and they fixed it Under Warranty). Apparently it was the master cylinder???? All i know is problem solved. No more Creak!
  • sky92_kilsky92_kil Member Posts: 4
    I have a CRX and the headlights are full of water. I don't understand it. please help.
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    You may also try posting in the Honda Civic Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion to see if you get a response in either board.

Best of luck....I hope you get it figured out.
  • jburkjburk Member Posts: 5
    How do you take off the rear wiper blade on a 92 civic Hatchback?
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ....and wow, Honda has hit a homer with this baby! What a beautiful car! Oddly enough, unlike with the previous gen Civics, I now like the looks of the sedan better than the coupe. Honda has done a supurb job with the new Civic. I can't wait for the new Corolla to come out now. Oh BTW, Hyundai, Kia, Suzuki, and all the other companies can stop comparing their insignificant recyclemobiles to the Civic. The Civic is simply in a different league than their vehicles and there is no comparison.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I don't fit in em at all. Can't find a comfortable driving position. Oh well. Guess I won't be buying one of these. Absolutely in love with the outside of them though. Absolutely beautiful car.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    As you know, the new Civic has hit the streets and is creating quite a buzz. Come join us: Honda Civic Sedan 2006+ and Honda Civic Coupe / Civic Si 2006+.
  • billmchalebillmchale Member Posts: 107
    Anyone looking for deals on the 2005 Civic SI before the new 2006's show up? While I like alot in the design of the new Civic, I am still exceedingly disappointed that there is no hatchbacks in the US. I just decided it is time to buy a new car and the main contenders are the Scion tC, 2005 Civic Si (if I can find one) and Mazda 3
    anywhere near me has had an SI in stock since the spring.

They never ordered many, after slow sales left them hanging in 2002.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• tr20tr20 Member Posts: 76
    Hi, i woulld like to know if there are any cons in installing say a AEM cold air intake?
    Does anyone know how much HP will be gained by installing say a AEM CAI, DC Sports Header, and a Tanabe exhaust?
  • john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    About 15 hp

Type ("2003 Honda Civic SI", intake, header, horsepower) into Google or some other search engine and look for an article in Import tuner. The primary disadvantage is the potential of flooding your engine if you ride through a deep puddle since the air intake system is very low to the ground relative to the stock intake system. Inspection (emissions) and the factory warranty will not be compromised.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Learned Friends,
    Here's something right up youze guyze's alley.

1991 Civic Si from CA; last two years in MI, 209k miles and engine has a little valve chatter but otherwise sounds good and runs strong. Tranny rebuilt 1 year ago and actually works really well. Clutch is good. Electric sunroof works, and so do the crank windows.

I should mention that the car is owned by a friend of mine who used it for his 100-mile roundtrip commute in the SF bay area for some years. The good news is that he's honest about the car, so I don't have to worry about hidden defects. The bad news is that the entire suspension appears to be shot. It clunks something fierce going over potholes, so I'm thinking every strut, bushing, and spring has to be replaced.

The air blows warm, the car is filthy, and the driver's side door lock and handle should be replaced soon.... left seat bolster is worn down to the foam. The steering has a few more degrees of slop than it should.. and sloppy steering kinda defeats the purpose of an Si, no? Tires are plenty worn.

Other than that, it's a nice little car with NO RUST -- a rarity here in Michigan -- and when I declined it for $1k, he let slip to a mutual friend that $500 would probably buy it, too. I mean, seriously, these puppies fetch $800 on ebay with blown engines!

But the rub is the suspension; I don't have the time to do it myself, so what would I be looking at? What should my buddy do with this thing? I've told him ebay is his friend, but he's got no experience and very little time... Any advice?

Cheers,
    -Mathias
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    209,000 miles is a bit high. However, for $500 it could be a project car.
    will the by-pass valve prevent water from entering?
    i am currently running 15" performance tires, (205/50/15)i would like to know if i should go down an inch for winter? what would be the optimal size? any suggestions as to which tire i should get?
  • funtaifuntai Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking at buying a used Civic Si, but a couple of things on the one I'm looking at strike me as weird. The cover for the spare tire in the trunk is a really thin piece of processed wood which has left a bunch of little slivers of wood in the spare tire area. The seller told me it came like that when they bought it new. What the heck? I've never seen a car in which that piece isn't plastic. The thing that's in there is so weak that it flexes when you push on it. Also, it has no floormats, and the seller claimed that it came without floormats. Were those an option on the Si? I'd have thought those were standard.
  • si83si83 Member Posts: 2
    I am planning to sell my 2004 Civic Si. I am not sure which car to get. The New 2006 Civic Si or the 2006 RSX Type S Or should i wait for the 2007 rsx type s?
  • funtaifuntai Member Posts: 6
    Ahh; I suppose all the other cars I've looked at are wagons, so that's probably why they've had a more rugged "trunk". Thanks for the info.

If you're in Austin I'd consider it :)
    Were an accessory that was added by the dealer at extra cost. An the paperboard spare cover is pretty much standard with every Honda/Toyota/Mazda I have ever owned.
    "should i wait for the 2007 rsx type s?"

Don't hold your breath for that one! :-P

I would get the Civic, unless you want leather seats. But if you want the tautest handling, you should probably go for the RSX-S. The new SI supposedly has a RIPPING stereo. :-)

The RSX is a noisy little beast. I wonder if the new Civic is quieter.

• devozdevoz Member Posts: 19
    For you Si owners out there-

Front pads need replacing, and 30K of my miles are highway, little suprising.

Rear pads need replacement, still have ~20% pad, but the rotors are deeply grooved for who knows what reason, Honda says they have to be replaced. This is completely suprising, doesn't seem right.

They want 229 for front brake service (just pads and turning the rotors), and 399 for rear, (toss in two rotors).

Front end makes a vibration, been making it since about 20K, but I was too lazy to bring in. Dealer says its the water pump. Wow, that didn't last long. Didn't have this serviced yet.

Speakers vibrate loudly (rear) with any song that has any bass in it, especially when the weather is cold and dry. Plan on living with this minor irritation.

Something goes "clunk" in the front end when you go over bumps that cause the wheels to bounce rapidly.

Engine has a harmonic at just over 2500 on the tach, won't bother talking to a dealer about it.

Clutch squeeking loudly since about 20K, Dealer took it apart and "lubed" it to the cost of $47 bucks (1/2 hour labor).

Nothing serious, but I didn't expect to lose the pads before 60K, certainly don't think the rotors should be shot when the pad is still intact and only at 40K miles to boot.

Decent mileage. (28ish).

-Z
  • devozdevoz Member Posts: 19
    Floormats were standard with the Si in 2002.

The cover on the spare is a cheap piece o junk, but it doesn't really matter does it?

-Z
    I am curious, how does a failing water pump cause a "front end vibration"? Sounds fishy to me. And you're right, that's way too early for a water pump to fail.

"Clunk" and rapid wheel bouncing sounds like a bad shock absorber?

If you have a lot of "fun" in the car, I can believe new front pads at 40K, but the rear rotor thing is also surprising to me. Maybe a second opinion at a different dealer or service place?

2003 Civic Si has developed the "death creak". Sounds like a coffin when you turn from side to side. Only owe $6000 on it so I'm gonna sell it to Carmax and just drive our Accord.

Just turned 40K too. I'm disappointed.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Let us know what you get from Carmax for it...
  • invisible143invisible143 Member Posts: 1
    hey, i have the same creaking noise in my front end of my 2004 civic si and i am bringing it in for the 3rd time this week for them to attempt to fix it, the replaced a strut and the rack n pinion, what else is goin on here?
    They say it's the power steering causing the creak. I didn't want to wait and find out if Honda would repair mine since it was lowered. So before it became a real problem, I took it today and had the stock parts put back on. Carmax gave me $11k for it. Considering I had it for 2 years and 40k I was pleased. Not to mention it had a couple of dimples in the hood caused by a slight mishap that i got a check for $500 for. Not bad for an unloved car that cost $15.4 when I bought it in the beginning of Oct. 2003. Came home with a check for $4.5k.

Anybody want a Progress rear bar and a set of Eibachs for an SI?
    Carmax gave me $11k for it. Considering I had it for 2 years and 40k I was pleased. Not to mention it had a couple of dimples in the hood caused by a slight mishap that i got a check for $500 for. Not bad for an unloved car that cost $15.4 when I bought it in the beginning of Oct. 2003. Came home with a check for $4.5k.

Yeah, they retained much of the price, even though people claimed for them to be unloved. I bought my 2002 Si in January of 2003 new for $14,500. Traded in last March for $12,500. Not bad, IMHO. 2 years of service for $2000, comes out to about $86/month. You can;t even find a lease these days for under $200 with no money down. :-)
    And I got 1.9% interest too. Almost like they paid me to drive the car. I wish I fit better in the new Civic. that new coupe is VERY nice. I'd be one of the first in line for that new SI. I'm hoping the Si seats are better than the regular ones. There's a slim chance I may have another SI soon.
    And I got 1.9% interest too. Almost like they paid me to drive the car. I wish I fit better in the new Civic. that new coupe is VERY nice. I'd be one of the first in line for that new SI. I'm hoping the Si seats are better than the regular ones. There's a slim chance I may have another SI soon.

Wait until they bring the REAL Si. Si is hatchback, the new Si is just an EX coupe with better engine. :-)

Yeah, 1.9% APR was just the icing on the cake. I was earning 3+% at ING. The CR-V is at 2.9% just as ING raised the rates to 3.75% and Emigrant is offering 4%.
This discussion has been closed.