Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rxdoc1rxdoc1 Member Posts: 5
    We lost one of our key sets with the remote unlocking device for our 2003/2004 Sequoia. When I called the dealership, they quoted a price for the key, remote and programming of about $300.00.
    Can anyone suggest a less expensive alternate route?
    I am not comfortable with just one set of keys for any vehicle.
    Thanks
  • husky92husky92 Member Posts: 56
    We too have had the brake light problem and yes, the dealer said it was hypersensitive to the level of brake fluid. It has "mostly" gone away, but we still see it stay on from time to time.

And the rear window getting stuck. I swear this happened to me as well, but I finally got it to go up and figured it was user error as it had never happened before and hasn't happened since, but seeing others on this forum mention it convinces me it's a real problem.
  • hunter20hunter20 Member Posts: 2
    Our Sequoia is nearing 30K and the dealer is suggesting the cabin air filter is recommended for replacement. Has anyone done this and did they think it was necessary? We have done all the other routine maintence as recommended but this seems it might be an unnessary expense. We live in suburbia and drive on paved roads and not off road or in dusty or dirty conditions. Where is the filter anyways? Under the dash or in the engine compartment?
  • rcamserrotrcamserrot Member Posts: 14
    Did you get your 30K mile check up?? If so, what did they charge you? My dealer wants to charge $550 for the check up... I had my oil changed every 4000 miles. they did replace my airfilter one time and it was about $20.. I think it goes behind the glove box.. not sure ..
  • harboharbo Member Posts: 136
    I have 75K on my exceptional 02 Limited. Where the heck is the Cabin filter. My cabin seems very pure !!

An outstanding Sequoia by the way, that takes the place of two (2) cars for family trips. Talk about economy !!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Edmunds Maintenance Guide for 30k service recommendations and what the estimated cost is for your zip code.
  • streets57streets57 Member Posts: 3
    Kelley.
    Sorry to take so long to get back with you. I hope you have already solved your problem, but if not here goes.

You will need to go back inside of the rear hatch :( , sorry about that. Find the attachment point of the cable, it may have come loose. If it is tight in its hold down you can tweak the attachment point just a little and hold down by bending it away from the latch assembly. What you are doing has the same effect as shortening the cable.
    Good Luck.
    John :)
  • alaska5alaska5 Member Posts: 2
    has anyone given you an answer? I have a 2001 Sequoia and I would like to get another set of keys. Thanks
  • lait2000lait2000 Member Posts: 33
    Do you still have a master key? If you do then you can purchase the Toyota blank key at toyotaparts4u.com for $30 -$35 a blank key. Part number 89785-34020, bring this key to any Walmart to cut, cost 2 bucks. For the remote you can purchase from ebay. It cost about $8 -$12. Make sure you buy the remote with the last characters are BAN (ex. XXXXBAN)This series is for 2003-2004 sequoia. After that you can find my posted in this forum for the procedures to programing both key and remote. These are very simple steps and you can do it yourself and save lot of money.
    For the 2001-2002 sequoia, the key has a electronic CHIP different from 2003-2004, the remote is also different. both are cheaper than the 2003/2004. Blank key around $15-$20, remote is about the same price. The programming are little bit different. Both procedures are also available on this forum as well. Good luck!
  • jmccooljmccool Member Posts: 5
    put the very back window down, gets awesome air flow this way and your dog will love it.....
    my '05 4wd is getting severe tire wear on the outside edges of my new tires...

alignment has been done by toyota
    balance has been done by toyota

I saw a post on here suggesting the following alignment specs for an older sequoia:

camber: +0.25 degrees
    caster: +2.75 degrees (4WD) or +3.00 degrees (2WD)
    total toe: +0.08 degrees

do these specs hold true for the '05 model as well
    does the ball joint recall effect the '05 sequoia as well?
  • alaska5alaska5 Member Posts: 2
    thank you.
  • redphaedrusredphaedrus Member Posts: 9
    The VSC light also came on my wife's 2003 Sequoia at around 30K mi. Before taking it to the dealer, I decided to have a look at the wheels and the sensors. It turns out that the wheel sensors are magnetized, especially on the rear wheels.
    When I took out the sensors from the wheel hubs, I noticed that there was an accumulation of rusted metal flakes built up on the magnets of the sensors. I cleaned the metal flakes off of the tips and reinstalled them. I had to reset the computer by disconnecting the negative terminal of battery. After I did thise, the VSC trac light stayed off.
    To me this seems to be a maintenance item as I expect that the rusted metal flakes will accumulate to some critical mass over time such that it'll trigger the VSC traction light to come on.

Before you take it to a dealer, you might try cleaning off the megnetic tips of the sensors and see if it solves the problem for you.
  • comatseacomatsea Member Posts: 3
    This was a recall on ballbearings covered under warranty.
  • comatseacomatsea Member Posts: 3
    This also happened to me and oil gage did not work. replaced under Warranty some sensor part.
  • kumarkumar Member Posts: 22
    I called up my local toyota service department and asked how much it would cost for my 05 sequoia's 30K service. They gave me a price of $717 which will include all manufacturer's recommended services.

Oh my gosh... :mad:

Could any one tell me what you have paid for your 30K service? If possible would you please also tell me what are the line items that you have done for the 30K service?
    If I like to cherry pick the "must-have" items, what would those be?

Thanks for your help! :)
  • norwesternernorwesterner Member Posts: 94
    I have been unable to find programming instructions for the remote for a 2002 Sequoia. Anyone help?
  • xman1035xman1035 Member Posts: 52
    I had the same problem with my 2002 Sequoia SR5 with 45,000 miles. I took it to my Toyota dealer and was told that my VSC computer was dead and they could not pull any codes from the unit. They said it was going to cost about $2100 to replace the VSC computer and told them I was not going to pay it. I asked them for the telephone number to Toyota Customer relations and instead had me talk to the service manager. I explained to him that I have Toyota vehicles for their reputation of quality,reliability and have all my vehicles serviced at this dealership including oil changes. I also explained that the VSC problem seems to affect 01 and 02 Sequoias the same year models that had the TSB brake caliper/rotor upgrade and that it appeared to me that VSC software or computer was not updated to meet the demands of the newly installed brake upgrade.

The service manager listened to my argument and said he would speak with the Toyota factory rep. I received a telephone call from the dealership that Toyota would repair the VSC computer for free. I am a loyal Toyota owner and the only other one I would consider would be Lexus.

Kudos to Toyota and my dealer for doing the right thing and fixing my VSC computer problem. Do I think the VSC computer will fail again? I don't think so because I heard from other Sequoia owners that the VSC computer was updated for later models.

I think the Sequoias are a fantastic vehicle and I will keep my Sequoia. I am a traffic officer and have investigated thousands of real world crashes. I picked the Sequoia because in my opinion it's one of the safest and probably the most reliable SUV on the road.

By the way, there's a website that sells computer parts to all makes of vehicles. See http://www.ecudirect.com/index.asp
  • kumarkumar Member Posts: 22
    I own a Toyota SUV, V8 4.7L, and has mileage of 30K. I have routine oil change at 3,750 miles.

The service center tells me that I should pay ~$310 :( , just to flush the engine and fuel system. They will also charge me the other regular 30K services for about $410.

Do I need to do this kind of service? any recommendation?

Thanks!
  • gedmundscgedmundsc Member Posts: 29
    I have 103K on my 01 Sequoia 4wd and all 4 lights lit up and the truck went into a protective mode where it will limp along at about 1 mph. I had it towed to the dealer, but recall an incident a year or so ago, where it was the brake fluid level which caused the VSC and Trac lights to come on. Anyone know if this could also cause all the lights to come on.

Any ideas on what could of triggered it. I pulled up to a stop sign went to pull out and no power to the power train, yikes. The engine runs fine, all the gauges read normal, no leaks, no runs, no errors. It just won't go. Now someone said pulling the neg cable from the battery will reset it. Turning it off and back on did not.

Unfortunately it is with the dealer and you know what that means, hmmmm, what is the most expensive thing possible - gee, that's exactly what your problem is. We'll have to rebuild your entire truck for a paultry $60K.

So any ideas are welcome on what I can test before relinguishing to the dealer.
  • dgutdgut Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

My Sequoia had 107,000 when this happened to me. Only I was going 70 mph on an interstate when the car decided to put on the brakes and cut power to the engine. It was diagnosed by the dealer as a YAW rate sensor and a Steering angle sensor. We traded it in. Good Luck
  • redphaedrusredphaedrus Member Posts: 9
    I would recommend that you take out the sensors on the rear wheels and clean off the tips of the sensors. The tips of the sensors are magnetic so, on mine, it had accumulated rusted metal flakes on the tips which interfered with the sensor's function.
  • minuteman26minuteman26 Member Posts: 70
    My 01 SR5 4WD with 80,000 had four, sometimes five lights on for a couple days. It didn't go into protective mode, though. Nor have some others I have heard of. Of course there are the ones like yours that have disabled the truck.

Mine turned out to be the skid control ECU, according to the dealer. The part was $1800, with a couple hours labor to install. No recurring problems after a week...time will tell, though.

What really would have been interesting is if you had disconnected the battery cable for a while. Wish I had known to try that with mine first, before I took it in. I have heard reports on another forum of that working just fine (!!!???)

Don't know anything to tell you, except ask the dealer if he thinks Toyota could help defray the cost of the part, if it turns out to be expensive, like mine.
  • mus1mus1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a ’01 sequoia SR5 2-wheel drive, the suv does not respond when i step on the accelerator pedal, I have to step on the accelerator pedal hard before the car can move which is unusual. I changed the throttle position sensor, MAF sensor, fuel filter and spark plugs but the problem still persist .the check light , TRAC and VSC are on .

I used a scan tool to check for codes but there is no fault code returned. the VSC, TRAC and Check light is still on. Any ideas
  • 72heaven72heaven Member Posts: 17
    Anyone ever notice the motor sounding like a diesel motor when it first starts? Usually goes away after the motor warms.
  • ovenheadovenhead Member Posts: 1
    Anybody had to replace a driver or passenger side mirror? Looks like the door panel has to be removed. Any tips would be appreciated.
  • dadof6dadof6 Member Posts: 61
    The exhaust manifolds give a ticking noise when cold after they have some age/miles on them. New manifolds will cure it but will set you back a good $1000. Noise is not harmful or a safety issue.
    You should have a "scheduled maintence guide" as part of your owners manuel packet,look for the page labeled 30,000 mile service then compare it to what your service center wants to do.
    Sludge comes from lack of oil changes--sounds like you need a new service center!
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    There is no reason you would need to have your engine flushed on a vehicle with 30k miles and 3750 mile oil changes.
    I have '02 sequuoia 2-wheel drive, SR5 with 94k mile on it. i got P1127 trouble code( ETCS-Electronic Throttle Control System ) problem, The ETCS-i has gone into Fail Safe mode, I noticed the pedal travel is longer in relation to engine response and the MIL is on. I changed the throttle position sensor and the problem still persist. Any ideas
    I have '02 sequoia 2-wheel drive, SR5 with 94k miles on it. i got P1127 trouble code( ETCS-Electronic Throttle Control System ) problem, The ETCS-i has gone into Fail Safe mode, I noticed the pedal travel is longer in relation to engine response and the MIL is on. I changed the throttle position sensor and the problem still persist. Any ideas
  • griffinagriffina Member Posts: 2
    I am currently looking at a new 06 Sequoia and want to see what advice current owners have to offer. I have read about the transmission lurching as the vehicle comes to a stop, and the vibration concerns. What other problems should I look for in my test drive. I expect to purchase this car within a week.
  • rcamserrotrcamserrot Member Posts: 14
    I was not wanting to spend the money on this 30K check up but I went ahead and got it... I must say that I feel a huge difference in the way my truck is running... It feels like the truck is driving on air and that is a good thing.. before I felt like my engine was pulling around a heavy load and now it seems effortless. Also the hood to my truck is not warm to the touch after driving... The steering is also much easier and everything seems like it was when it was new... I guess after several years of driving your forget what a new cleaner car feels like to drive.. I am glad I got my 30K check up,
  • toyo4toyo4 Member Posts: 5
    Several things to look at; 1-The transmission does shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd gear in a rough manner, not smooth at all, you should be able to detect this on a test drive. 2-Rough ride, suspension is way too stiff, you should be able to detect this on a test drive. 3- Limited rear visibility when backing up. This could be dangerous when backing out of a driveway in a neighborhood where kids are playing. When you test drive the Sequoia, make sure and back out of a parking space in a parking lot and see if you would be able to see someone walking behind the vehicle. These are the main three things I noticed right off the bat. Also, acceleration is not too good, when compared to some other SUVs.
  • toyo4toyo4 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if there is a warning lamp on the instrument panel that lights up if the oil pressure is too low? Or is there only the oil pressure gauge? 2002 Seqouia. Thanks
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    This might be irrelevant at this point but I just wanted to let you know that the Sequoia made the Consumer Reports list for one of the Most Reliable Large SUV's. ;)
  • lbert17lbert17 Member Posts: 4
    Just got the 30k check-up on my 03 Sequoia. Second set of brakes,first set of rotors all around. Little pricey but worth it. Runs stronger.Having a escalating vibration in steering wheel and passanger side floor up to 80mph then it clears.Did 4 new tires(vibration started before),high speed balance,alignment is fine and it still is there. Anyone else having issues???
    I am putting some Sequoia good news on the site. At 77,000 miles, we are on the 1st set of brake pads and rotor's (about 20%remaining)second set of tires (originals replaced with oversized Michelins at 50,000. Going to have transmission flush and brake pads at about 85,000. Use K&N cold air ram intake, Castrol 5W40 Syntech, 36 to 40 psi (depending on load) in tires. Bosch 4 prong platinum spark plugs. Other than that, drive with momentum.

Drive on ..........
  • beardriverbeardriver Member Posts: 1
    My Sequoia seems to get out of alignment a lot, causing undue wear on the tires. Does anyone else have this problem? I don't 4wheel or drive off the pavement. I know it could be pot holes etc. but my truck is always out of alignment and I have to pay to realign it too much.

Also anyone have trouble with the rear window not going down?
  • 05sequoia05sequoia Member Posts: 1
    HEY, Give my truck back! Those are the exact same issues I have had with my 2005 Sequoia 4x2 Limited. It's a great vehicle but I have been terribly disappointed with the Service at my Toyota Dealer, especially regarding the issue with outer edge front tire wear.

Regarding the tires,
    - tires are rotated every 5k miles
    - all scheduled maintenance performed
    - 35k miles on vehicle
    - tires kept inflated properly (the uneven wear is not 'cupping')
    - I have never hit anything major in the vehicle
    - noticed outer edge wear with 25k on it
    - I don't think alignment should be an issue with 20k miles from normal driving.
    - had alignment done at 30K
    - No improvement whatsoever. I think it actually got worse

I have also seen posts on this or other discussion forums noting similar problems. Whenever I see a new Sequoia parked ('05 or newer), I have a look at the tires. Given I do not know the mileage on them, most of the ones I have seen have outer edge tire wear issues. I have talked to a number of different service people at Toyota Dealerships in Atlanta and they have denied it is an issue in most cases.

I think it is an issue with the vehicle. I have gone switched Toyota Dealers (Service person noted she sees this frequently) so I will see if they can get this resolved. My tires are about bald on the outside edge but probably 25K of life remaining on the rest of the tire. Not looking forward to the $800 bill for new Michelins.

Regarding the rear window, I just kept messing with the switch and the rear window worked again. I have not had problems since.

I would definitely be interested in others experiencing these issues.
    Regarding the rear window. My local service manager tells me the brushes hang up from time to time on the motor. A tap with a hammer has brought it back to life 2X over the last 4 years. Of course you have to open the rear access from the inside to give it a tap.

Regarding alignment specs, one of our blog colleagues had what I believe was revised specs about a year ago. I could not find it back. At 77K I have had no outer wear issues. First set went 50K. I run a minimum of 36 psi. More at the rear when loaded. This is a 2002 Lmt 2x4 rather than the 4x4.
  • griffinagriffina Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info from all. We ended up driving home a new 07 this evening. After considering many options we still felt the Sequoia was the best vehicle based on our desire for a reliable vehicle with a usable third seat. We found the transmission to run very smoothly and the ride, while not as smooth as our Odyssey, was still very comfortable. We did not expect a truck of this size to be as smooth and we are satisfied with the overall ride. Finally, I agree it is hard to see behind you but all the vehicles of this size are. A rear camera could be of some assistance. Overall we are very happy with the 07 limited package
    Congratulations !! Our daughter and son-in-law own and drive an Odyssey and want to buy (no money) our 2002 Sequoia Limited (78K miles). She much prefers driving the Sequoia. Confident and secure for the kids. The Sequoia gets the vote for all cross country trips with the Thule on top and carrier behind we carry a month's worth of fun anywhere. I would love to send a "loaded for travel" picture but don't know how to do an attachment in this media. Enjoy.
  • 72heaven72heaven Member Posts: 17
    My wife and I also had an Odyssey, and feel that the ride of the Sequoia is just as good. Our 2002 Sequoia has 53K miles. Have you had any trouble with yours? I've had the AC replaced and now the rear hatch latch is being replaced. Other than that no issues. One thing I've figured out, and I've read about it often here, is the "bump from behind" feel. What I discovered was if after you've braked to a stop, let of the brake slightly and then brake. It's like it relieves "something", and we don't get the "bump".
    The ride is different for certain. I am particularly impressed with the way the Sequoia handles when fully loaded, (roof carrier, rear carrier and everything my wife, daughter and grandkids decide MUST be taken on a trip).

Had the factory upgrades to front suspension, ball joints etc. the brake upgrade, replacement of the solenoid for the rear window under warranty. The last time the window stopped going up or down, the service manager correctly said the brushes on the electric motor will hang up. If you can tap the motor (which I did) it will often go back to work. It did. This can happen more often if the window is not lowered or raised very often (my case). Basically I seldom lower the rear window, which avoids the issue of not being able to raise it.
    The rear latch outer handle just broke and was replaced at the dealer (out of warranty). I was aware of the latch handle being plastic and weak, however it was my grasp of the handle without unlocking the rear hatch that snapped it off. Otherwise no mechanical issues.
    Agreed on the slight bump or movement after stopping. With the microchip controling so much of todays vehicle's operation, it does not surprise me that there are occasional changes in idle, shift points etc. at unexpected times.
    As you know to minimize warping of the brake rotor's, it is a good idea to allow the vehicle to move forward slightly after stopping to not hot spot the rotor's. Typically not a big deal around town but in hot weather with agressive braking (mountains) and then stopping at a light with the brakes held firmly in one spot, warping can occur. The first thing to check if pulsating of brakes (warping) is felt is to have the lug nuts appropriately torqued in the correct rotation to determine if that is an issue, before the rotor's are turned, (shaved).
    Enjoy and travel safely.
  • sandiegosuvsandiegosuv Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Sequoia that seems to have a gremlin in the electrical system. I'm looking for advice from others who may have experienced similar problems. Here's the list.

1. Bright indicator does not work-- been happening for about 3 years.
    2. Gas empty indicator will mysteriously go on-- even when the tank is full. Seems to be a random occurence. Been happening since 2002.
    3. Dome lights some time come on when turning right-- last six months.
    4. Recently, the door ajar light comes on randomly and the dome lights come on simultaneously.

In the last couple of weeks, these weird events have been draining the battery and we have to jump start it. Been to the dealer twice and the car is there again. First they said bad connections that were cleaned, second they said bad battery, now they seem to be at a loss. Anybody have a clue?
  • loom1967loom1967 Member Posts: 8
    Our 2003 SR5 2wd has a horrible front end alignment issue. Also, rear window motor has failed (I going to try the hammer trick). I dont know if anyone else has this issue, but the drive light has burnt out (the D for drive on the instrument cluster).

Lets not forget the Traction Control problem!
  • toozfantoozfan Member Posts: 1
    your fuel indicator problem cause is called a fuel level sensor. then for the other problems I would have the computer module checked. Those are guaranteed 8 years 80,000 miles.(I just called the Toyota Corporation) if that is the issue Toyota will replace the part... the fuel level sensor will probably run you close in the 400-500.oo range. They have to take out the gas tank to fix it