Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kdarmbrustkdarmbrust Member Posts: 1
    We have been having all of the VSC/ABS problems described including the VSC/TRAC lights staying on and the ABS system spontaneously engaging while driving or pulling into traffic over the last few weeks. My wife refuses to drive the car now. Our '03 Sequoia has about 43K miles and is thus out of warranty and, as with others, we were told by the dealership today that we would need to replace the computer at a cost of $2500.00 (they also admitted this is a recurring issue with the Sequoias and that Toyota is well aware of it). After refusing to pay this, I was just preparing to "go to war" with headquarters to get this fixed when I read the posted suggestion about disconnecting the battery to reset the computer - makes sense, it works on my home PC when the kids lock it up. Figuring it couldn't hurt anything, I got out my socket wrench and tried it, leaving it disconnected for about 5-10 minutes. I reconnected the battery and just finished taking it for a test drive. I can't believe it, it actually worked!!!

We will see if it holds-up. In any case I am still outraged that Toyota seems to be downplaying an issue that could easily result in injuries or death if the ABS system engages at the wrong moment. I am also planning to file a complaint with the NHTSB and to contact my state Attorney General's office to discuss this with them.

Additionally, a few years ago we also had the same problem with the gas gauge reading empty (even though the tank was full) as noted in many of the other posts on this board. The problem with the gas level sensor and it was replaced when the vehicle was still under the 3yr/36 warranty.
  • 4motheranne4motheranne Member Posts: 4
    Just stumbled upon this site. From the looks of things, others are having the same problems I am. I have a 2005 Sequoia SR5. Had problems with rear window. Sometimes it worked, other times it didn't. Thought maybe a loose wire. Finally took to dealership because rear defog and wiper also not operating. I was told that the computer and motor for the rear window were blown. They said that they were not sure if the computer blew the motor or the motor caused the computer to fail. Not sure how motor and computer could have blown as I only tried to use the rear window maybe 10 times since I've owned it. Anyway, $800 later, they replaced both the motor and computer for rear window. Turns out that toyota put out a service bulletin on 14 June 2006 about the rear window not being operable and what to do to fix it. Apparently, its a common enough problem that the service bulletin was issued. They replace the same type of motor but put a new type of computer in. Seems like a defect with the first computer piece shorting out the motor.
    I am also experiencing a problem with the brake light coming on periodically while driving, for no apparent reason. Once I turn the car off, the light goes off. Have taken to dealer twice. First time they said that I needed new brakes and replaced them. However, the next day, the light came on again. I took it back, and they said they think it was just that the brake fluid plunger stuck. Now the light is still coming on periodically and they want me to bring it in again. Recently, I have also experienced problems with the alignment. Initially, sequoia rode great, but since replacing tires, really bumpy ride despite having tires re balanced and aligned. Still checking into this issue. Anyone with any helpful info?
  • bradtawabradtawa Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 Sequoia 2WD and had the EXACT same thing happen to us. About 3 months ago, the brake would come on occasionally and turn off later on (usually when we turned the engine off). We took it into the dealership and they told us the brake pads needed to be replaced and the rotors turned (for $280). The brake light still came on, which questioned the need for the new pads (they did not provide the old ones). The dealership claimed to have checked the sensor, but who knows. The 2nd time we brought it in, they ran a computer diagnostic and discovered a problem with the ABS computer. They said the repairs were "optional", but there was a "chance" the ABS would not operate correctly when needed. You could tell the service guys have been trained to prey on our concerns with safety. The cost for the ABS computer replacement was $1,400. Needless to say, the service department has no credibility with me, and I have a lower opinion of Toyota in general.

Good luck - hope this helps.
  • rabbitr1rabbitr1 Member Posts: 1
    I have seemed to misplaced my remote to my 2005 rear entertainment system in my Sequoia the dealer wants $267 for a new one is there anywhere I can find this cheaper?
    Help
  • wilnerwilner Member Posts: 34
    i had a 2001 limited sequoia too and i had a different problem as yours. the light on the instrument panel particularly the shifting mood where the P, N, R, D,....., the light on the D is not working for almost 2 years now and also the one at the over head instrument panel where you can see the temp, compass, home inter link modes 2 the light is not working too. i refer to a dealer we ordered the light bulbs until now they haven't called me. and am trying to fix myself because the dealer had to charge a bucks for the labor alone, so could you please help me where i can find instructions how to replace all those lighting bulbs. thank you.
  • scofactsscofacts Member Posts: 1
    thx so much for the advice of what you did to get the VSC trac and check light to go out. I have grease all ovwer my hands but I dissconnected my battery and it worked too! let me know if you have the problem again, it happened to me while my car was in guarantee, and they told me they has to either reset or replace the computer who knows if they really did. Im going to call them tomorrow and see whst they say,shelly
  • freddie_enginefreddie_engine Member Posts: 7
    I have 2003 Seq with about 51K on it.
    I really enjoy this vehicle, but do have the "break light" problem. Took it to the dealer twice now and they can't find a thing wrong with it. It has done this pretty much from the start, started around 8-10K miles. This has not happened in the last few months, although I don't think it has to do with anything and its just a matter of time before it comes back. The VSC light did come on on a few occasions, but not recently.
    As for alignment, I noticed that the tires wear along the outer edge a lot more than anywhere else on the tire. I rotated them agressively and have been able to make them last until now. I am now, however, due for new tires on this thing. At $150+ a pop, these are not cheap tires. I just don't have enough confidence in the dealers to be able to pinpoint a problem and fix it. Most, if not all, are just part-changers.
  • lbert17lbert17 Member Posts: 4
    I buy Continental tires for my 2003. They are softer and cheaper($100 each). They only last 15-18,000 miles but if you buy harder tires you will lose handling and they slide in cold weather. Big difference I have found.
  • fiorentinofiorentino Member Posts: 1
    We own an 06 Sequoia with about 3,000 miles on it and when it's in park you can feel a engine vibration that cycles every 3 or 4 seconds. Also, if you put the vehicle in park and get the RPM's up to around 1,000 you can feel a vibration. I brought it in to Toyota and they said this is normal. The vehicle runs fine but I can't imagine this type of vibration is normal. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • aewaltheraewalther Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 sequoia and when setting in idle there is a slightly rough vibration in I suppose a 3-4 sec. cycle. I can stopped this by turning off the a/c it's cool here but as you know the a/c is always on unless you turn it off.
  • tonykltonykl Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone, I have 01 Sequoia that recently stalls everytime I put it in gear (Drive or Reverse). It has happened to me three times now. It only happens after I drive it for a while usually after 45 minutes. For the first two times I can drive it again after a few hours. I had a mechanic look at it the first time it happened but by the time we got there it was fine. The mechanic couldn't find anything wrong with it. So I left with the car. The second time it happened I was pulling into a parking lot and left it there over night. And today it happened again except this time it wouldn't moved anymore. I can start the car fine and it will idle in park or neutral like usual but everytime I put it in Drive or Reverse it stalls. With the first two times I would be able to drive it by now (after a few hours) but I guess this time its for good. I had the car towed home today since I can not find any shop that opens on a Sunday. Had anyone experienced this problem? Anyone have any clue what it could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated before I take it in to the dealer this week.
    anybody who can give a website of a toyota that will show all the diagrams of the parts and accessories. thank you very much.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Alldata is one that comes to mind, but they charge for access. Some public libraries subscribe and can get printouts for you for free.
    thank you very much!
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Hey everyone,

The one thing I dreaded happening w/ our Sequoia happened this morning. While my wife was on her way to going to work this morning, the VSC light and TRAC off light came on along with the check engine light.

I am going to call the dealer and bring it in this afternoon, I would appreciate any assistance from those of you with this problem before going on so I can be "Armed" as much as possible.

Thanks in advance.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Just wanted to provide a follow up to the above posted issue. Got home from the dealership this evening after spending about 2 hours there- not bad considering it was an "unscheduled" appt.

Advisor had the tech hook the Sequoia up to the diagnostic machine and found the reason for the VSC/TRAC off/engine light on was because the gas cap was not screwed on tight enough. Tech took it out for a 5 mile test drive with positive results.

I drove the truck home and everything was 100%. Hopefully this is the extent of this issue. Cost me about $105.00.
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    try going back to the dealer and start up one of the new sequoias on the lot and see if it has the same rough vibration and if not then have the technition tell you again that all of them do this!!!!
  • woodyfrenchwoodyfrench Member Posts: 2
    Mine an O1 is doing the exact same thing right now!
  • woodyfrenchwoodyfrench Member Posts: 2
    Hey Tony,

Any luck with your fix yet?

Mine is doing the exact same thing.

Woody
  • gwychegwyche Member Posts: 1
    Hi, 2004 Sequoia, 55k, 2WD Ltd.

We experience a jerk, or jolt symptoms upon release of the brakes & press the gas. Doesn't happen everytime, and can't describe all conditions it does happen in - but - sounds similar to some other problems described in this forum. It's not a "rear-ended" jolt, more of a bit of slack in the drivetrain feeling. Often it occurs after more aggresive braking ( but not always ), and more frequently after braking on a downhill stop, then a normal accel away from the stop(again, not always). Only does it at the moment of brake release & gas press. I've tried the "racecar" dual pressure on brake pedal & gas simultaneously, no difference in results.

Wife is getting nervous, I need a problem I can reliably demonstrate to take to the dealership ( shoot me now ) - anybody else experience this, or have any knowledge/insights?
    Thanks,
    Graham
  • freddie_enginefreddie_engine Member Posts: 7
    I was under the impression (based on discussion with other owners on forums) that this is 4WD issue. I have an '03 4WD SR5 Sequoia and it does the same thing. According to your experince, though, it is not just on 4WD's.
    I suppose, in any case, it does not matter. I have had it looked at by 2 different dealerships and they say it is normal for this vehicle. It has something to do with the energy release within transmission after a hard stop (??) I don't beleive it's detrmimental to the transmission, however, but it is annoying. :confuse:
  • harboharbo Member Posts: 136
    Definitely don't shoot your nervous wife. Buy her my Lexus GS 300 for smooth happiness. It's for sale, just picked up and Audi A8L. My wife prefers driving the Sequoia (02 2WD / 78K). Some macho thing I guess. <(-;
  • aliminalimin Member Posts: 80
    Reports from the AP and other sources indicate Toyota is recalling 533,000 Tundras and Sequoias. The recall covers 2004 to 2007 Tundras and Sequoias. A front suspension lower ball joint may have excessive wear; affected owners will be notified by Toyota by mid-February.
  • lait2000lait2000 Member Posts: 33
    Toyota to recall 533,000 Sequoias, Tundras
    Faulty component could make vehicles difficult to steer

Updated: 11:48 a.m. PT Jan 19, 2007

WASHINGTON - Toyota MotorCorp. said Thursday it was recalling 533,000 Tundra pickup trucks and Sequoia sport utility vehicles because of potential steering problems.
    Toyota said the recall involved 2004-2006 Tundra trucks and 2004-2007 Sequoia full-size SUVs. The automaker has received reports of 11 accidents and six injuries connected to the recall, said Toyota spokesman Bill Kwong.
    The automaker said there was a possibility of excessive wear to a front suspension lower ball joint that could make it difficult to steer the vehicle and stay in the center of the lane. Drivers may also notice more noise coming from the front suspension, Kwong said.
    Toyota recalled about 775,000 pickups and SUVs in May 2005 &#151; one of its largest recalls ever &#151; because of similar problems with the front suspension. The recall included 2002-2004 model years of the Tundra and Sequoia.
    Kwong said the company received additional complaints involving newer models of the Tundra and Sequoia, prompting them to issue the recall.
    Toyota, which is challenging General Motors Corp. to become the world&#146;s largest automaker, has aggressively touted its redesigned Tundra pickup as a strong competitor in the lucrative truck segment dominated by GM and Ford Motor Co.
    The first Tundras built at Toyota&#146;s San Antonio plant are expected in showrooms next month. The automaker recently unveiled its Tundra CrewMax full-size pickup truck at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The large pickup will arrive in showrooms in March.
    With its expansion, the Japanese automaker has struggled with some quality issues. Toyota had 2.2 million vehicle recalls in 2005, but showed improvements last year when its recalls fell to 766,000 vehicles. Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe has repeatedly vowed to enhance quality controls.
    Owners will be notified in mid-February of the Sequoia and Tundra recall and dealers will replace the left and right front suspension lower ball joint at no charge to the vehicle&#146;s owners.
    how about 2001-2004 sequoias and tundras?
  • drudrakedrudrake Member Posts: 1
    I have 2003 sequoia with 57K miles. Recently, several dashboard lights lit up & I was diagnosed as having a failed ABS computer. Imagine getting a call from service to say you have a 3 thousand $$ problem. When you buy toyota, you are suppose to have that situation when you mistreat your vehicle ... not the case with me. I am a 2 toyota owner and my confidence in Toyota quality is definitely shaken. My next vehicles will likely not be toyota.
    I am not sure 2001-2002,but my 2003 recalled and completed this job early last year. Replace 2 front lower ball joint.
    Thanks for the reply. We're now having another similar problem. The other day, my VSC/ABS engaged for no reason. I guess I'm going to have a problem with that now also. I really feel there must be a major electrical/computer problem that is causing the break light, rear window, VSC/ABS problems and whatever new ones lie ahead. Very disappointed in Toyota.
  • nomad4nomad4 Member Posts: 1
    Oh, I just wanted to thank you for posting this! The exact same lights came on last week on our '04 SR5 and I haven't driven it since. My husband is out scraping ice and snow off of the car right now (we haven't used it during the recent bad weather...perfect timing!) so he can tighten the gas cap and unhook the battery for a couple of minutes. My fingers are crossed that this works! Thanks for the suggestion...
  • ownutahownutah Member Posts: 7
    Mike,

I have had this same problem with my 06. What did you do to get it fixed? Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to fix it?
  • toyotasrtoyotasr Member Posts: 2
    Help - I have had this problem 3 times with my sequoia and it's in the shop now. They have replaced the computer in the back and it's fine. They have replaced the front computer and 2 weeks later, the lights went on again and I could not drive it forward. The ABS light stayed on and I had it towed there to Toyota in Moline, Illinois. They said this is highly uncommon and they cannot find the problem. It always happens after I have had it in 4 wheel drive the previous day or that day. It's still in warranty for 5000 more miles and then I'm worried. Please let me know what you all have done. I need some help on this one. I don't want to take it back until they have fixed the problem.
    To fix the rear window, they replaced the computer and motor for it. For the brake light coming on, I have no answer and it seems neither do they. AS far as the ABS thing though, I found out that there is a Toyota Technical Service Bulliten(TSB) that was issued November 28, 2005 that addresses it somewhat. The TSB is number DL001-05 is titled "Rear Axle Bearing Noise" and applies to the '04 to '06 Sequoia. One of the problems it addresses is "intermittent activation of ABS, VSC, and/or TRAC systems on dry flat pavement while driving. VSC/TRAC light flashes intermittently." This problem is covered under the powetrain wattanty for 60 months or 60,000 miles and if you bring it to toyota, they will fix it. I'm guessing that since your ABS light stayed on, perhaps whatever they fix for the above could help your problem. It's probably worth mentioning to them to check. HOpe this helps.
  • stevekozuskostevekozusko Member Posts: 5
    This seems to be weather related but I don't know what might be sticking. First thing in the morning the VSC / TRAC light as well as the parking brake lights come on. Drive it for a while, shut off the truck and start it right back up. VSC / TRAC stay off. Sometimes the brake indicator goes out sometimes it stays on.

Where should I start looking?

Thanks!
  • ccdtomccdtom Member Posts: 1
    I just noticed what looks to be water dripping from what appears to be a connector in the firewall. The connector is inside the engine well, in front of the passenger seat. A picture of this is posted on my website here: http://www.astronomytom.com/toyota.jpg
    The car has 49000 miles. This just showed up today. I do plan to take it in for repair, but wonder if it is okay to drive.
  • toyotasrtoyotasr Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your suggestions. You seem pretty knowledgeable on this subject. What year is your sequoia?
    I will give this info to the service tech that is working on it. I appreciate it.
    How do you find the TSB reports? Are they online???
    Thanks again
    My Sequoia is a 2005. The TSB reports can be found on line. Some sites require a fee, but if you search enough, you can usually find a site where someone posted them. Some can be found on wwww.mycarstats.com under their "safety station" tab
  • bisbee2bisbee2 Member Posts: 5
    Since I am just now seeing this post, I wanted to let you know that I have seen similar issues on my 2003 Sequoia. I have had a Wheel Speed sensor and Yaw Rate sensor replaced, both as a solution to my ABS and VSC dash lights coming on. The lights came on a third time but the issue corected itself once the car was hooked up to the diagnostics and the codes reset. If you read the TSB verbiage, the solution for one of the codes (can't recall the exact code)is to replace the expensive microprocessors that control yaw or wheel speed. That's a pretty expensive fix for keeping the dash lights from glowing!! Toyota would not cover the expenses in my cases.
  • mikey13170mikey13170 Member Posts: 26
    Guys/Gals,
    I'm looking for people who have had experience with Sequoia's. I just purchased 2004 Sequoia Limited 4x4 with 60K miles turned in on a lease. I had a 2004 4Runner and was looking to trade up.

The dealer didn't offer me an extended warranty, but after looking at prices ($1400-$2000) for additional 3-4 years of coverage, I'm wondering if it's really worth it to make the purchase now.

I have driven a lot of miles in the past, but have changed my lifestyle and hope to take at least another 4 years to get to 100K miles.

I've had the Sequoia for a week so far and I have noticed that the ride of the vehicle isn't as good as I had hoped. I dropped it off this morning at my local dealership to review the recall on the front lower ball-joint, to see if that is causing some of the problems I'm experiencing. I have also noticed a substancial amount of noise and vibration occurring at speeds of 50-75mph and I don't believe it's because of the tires (new Yokahama's + just had it balanced and alligned...or so the dealer claims).

My question is this: Should I consider the extended warranty or is it something that would be better spent somewhere else?

Thanks in advance to all who answer!
    Mike
    Did you ever receive any responses from this?

I just purchased a 2004 Limited off a lease and it doesn't have the remote either. I didn't realize it was necessary to operate the DVD entertainment until I put in a DVD and I couldn't get the screen to come on. I looked on Ebay and found a remote for around $100, but I stil think it's a complete rip-off.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/LEXUS-TOYOTA-REAR-SEAT-ENTMNT-DVD-RSES-REMOTE-CONTROL_W0QQit- emZ270090085000QQihZ017QQcategoryZ79834QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'll go without before I blow that on a remote.
  • lbert17lbert17 Member Posts: 4
    I would see what it covers. I don' t think the driveline itself will fail you but little things like electrical and sensors will start to reak havoc and none of that is covered. Mine is starting to ride rougher and noisier in the last 5K miles. I am trading it in before I really start to pay.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You should also have a look at Extended Warranties.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I just called the parts desk at my dealer to ask about a remote. He quoted me $264.00 for the stinking thing!!!!

I nearly blew a gasket.

Back to square one....Maybe BestBuy can help me out with aftermarket remote?

Anybody tried that?
    It's starting to sound to me like an extended warranty isn't a bad idea after all.

I guess from your experience it would be a good idea for me to get one considering it covers me for another 4 years or 50K miles. That will get me well over 110K miles.

$1400 for the Gold protection warranty on my 2004 60K Mile Sequoia Limited.
  • toddaj71toddaj71 Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased an 02' Limited with a moon roof and yesterday noticed water dripping from the edge of the drivers side headliner against the front window. I am not sure if it is leaking from the roof and running down or if somehow it is coming around the front window seal. The front window says Toyota on it so I am assuming if it was replaced it was by Toyota. Any ideas where this water could be coming from. Also I would like to pull out the radio and was wondering if anyone could help by telling if the plastic front is held in by pins (if so where are they located) or screws. Thanks alot. Todd
    Water might leak from the rubber gasket of the roof rack between the top and the base of the rack.

For the center console, there are 2 screws inside the vent hole. If you push this vent windows face up, you will see 2 screws (one in each hole) after you take this screws out, this center console can pull out easily
  • rhaydelrhaydel Member Posts: 1
    The back door will not open. The handle is not stuck but seems to not be connected to anything. How do I get inside to look at it? Thanks
    You need to pop the inside panel off. Prying with something larger and flatter than a screwdriver, and you can see the rear door mechanism.

You don't say if the handle will move. If it moves and does not open, chances are the cheap little plastic connector to the handle is brokern. If it does not move (probably break if you exert some pressure), you may be able to shoot some silicone lublicant into the pivot points on the handle.

In my case the connections to the rear latch were broken. I needed to find and pull the cable release after removing the panel inside the rear door.

Good luck .......... !
  • trapper51trapper51 Member Posts: 27
    I have an 01 Limited from 12/00 with 160,000 mostly trouble free miles - have had the Diff replaced and seals twice, and had leaking intake manifold replaced just 300 mi under expiration of 100k add-on warranty. Yes - Radio needed help early on, Highlander's is better in my estimate. I get 60-90k miles on brakes if I use Toyota brand - mostly highway. I use Mobil-1 and change every 12k miles and filter at 4-5k. To someone asking if an add-on warranty is worth it - yes yes yes - everything on this car is expensive, and at $95 / hr shop rate - thats only 15 hrs of labor over the next 3-4 yrs. If you have another brand SUV you know thats a no-brainer.
    My question - my wife's Highlander has superior headlights to the Sequoia - does anyone know if they are interchangable, or, what is a comparable make/model? As I mature I find my night vision needs more help yet the Highlander still lights up my MA. country nights real well. I also know there is a way to 'polish' the cloudy headlamp covers to get the clarity back - this is on many web sites and works for any vehicle. But I am looking primarily for more candlepower, tks
    With only 80K on my 2002 I feel like a "piker" and am encouraged by your 160K. I change Castrol Syntec 5w40 each 6,000 miles and thought I may have been stretching it a bit, although some of the latest German vehicles are recommending as far out as 15K.

Regarding headlights, you might check PIA, perhaps through the Anything Auto website. Some of the latest mega lumins replacements are there.

A question for you, what radio modifications worked well??
    What is the best way to pop off the panel above the mirror that houses the interior lights and garage door and mode buttons without breaking the plastic?