Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tiptontipton Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Sequoia SR5. It's only got 16k miles, driven "gently" in city traffic, mostly for local errands, taking kids to school etc.

Two different repair centers said I need new tires, shocks & struts. The cost to replace the shocks and struts about $800, and another $800 for tires! They also said I need a front end alignment and tire rotation at LEAST twice a year just to keep the tires from wearing incorrectly.

I'm told that the stock parts were crap to begin with, but if I pay for better quality..they will last longer, hmmmm.
    Is this typical of Sequoia's?

Do you think my husband (with basic automotive skills) can replace the shock absorbers himself? The maintenance on this SUV is killin' us! :cry:
  • trapper51trapper51 Member Posts: 27
    Have you tried banging your hand on the top of the dash - this fixed my 'D' light when it was flakey for 2 weeks - hasnt gone bad since. Really. Good luck.
    Have you seen the Chiltons Sequoia Manual? $30 or so.
    No real Radio mods - just forcing them to test that tiny speakers were blown - pretty intuitive but tough when the problem is itermittent. They finally saw the light when I put on guaranteed stereo signal from a cassette. Yeah - i can research light mfgrs for better and better bulb 'promises' but the ones I KNOW work as promised are in the Highlander. I guess I;ll just have to pull one out and try it - I assume no incompatibilities - they're just 12v.
    Not in my opinion, parts are good. I suspect repair shops read these posts too and fuel the FUD. I have had 1 alignment in 6 yrs, am on 3rd set of tires - Dunlop OEMs were junk for 54 and 60 miles so went to heavenly Michelin Cross terrain and now its sister tire - same proce better mud and snow - i do go off road,lightly and into sand here in New England - pull a 4000 boat/trailer. Have never never replaced my shocks (at 160k) - and they also get dunked in the ocean launching the rig. Find a guy who owns a garage/shop, and ask his opinion. Best of luck,
  • 72heaven72heaven Member Posts: 17
    My 2002 has 57K. I've had to replace the AC, that was very expensive, and currently the rear latch is broke. Overall our Sequoia has proven to be an excellent vehicle. Wife loves it (that's what counts). Is your 02 4x4? If so how often do you engage it? We have never used the 4x4 option.
    Is that bad?
  • harboharbo Member Posts: 136
    Right ...... the radio tends to be very "boomy". What's the deal with "guaranteed stereo signal from a cassette.??
    My 02 Lmtd is 2WD. 80,000 miles to date. In Arizona I don/t need 4WD. No need unless in snow or slippery conditions. Mileage is a bit better w/2WD and long term maintainence (usually after warranty) is lower. The broken rear latch is pretty common. Plastic part.
  • wilnerwilner Member Posts: 34
    not yet but i'll try tapping my dashboard, thanks for your reply.
  • slaquer5slaquer5 Member Posts: 1
    Where did you take your truck to get the latch fixed and how much was it. I need to get mine fixed
    My Toyota dealer is Right Toyota, Scottsdale AZ. Jon Jones service mgr. Frank Vitaro writer. 480-778-2271 great people.
    Cost Parts $65.84
    Misc $6.38
    Labor $100 flat rate
    Total $172.72 Hope it doesn't happen toooo many times!
    For the 1st time had new brakes all around, transmission flush etc at 77,000 miles. $678.00 total. It's a great Sequoia.
    Don Moore Toyota in Owensboro, KY. $176
  • toneloc1toneloc1 Member Posts: 2
    I have 2002 sequoia SR5, 3 of 4 door handles have completely broken off. Took it to the dealer hand a DSPM inspection and toyota feels this is not a manufacturers defect. Would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and what was done by toyota.
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    toneloc1 If you do a search of this site you will find many of the sequoias have this problem. When you look at Consumers report on how cars hold up over time it shows that sequoias have problems with "body Hardware" I think is what they call it. Even though mine is a first year vechile all the handles are ok but I have had problems with the hinges that keep the door open when the vechile is on an incline. I had to replace two on them, and one of them failed and the dealer replaced it at no charge.

But the motor and transmission work like the day i bought them. silky smooth.......

Good luck, I'm waiting for the '08s and the big engine so i can haul a bigger trailer.
    How much was it to replace the hinges? Both of my rear passenger doors won't stay open. A real pain.
    I dont remenber, I'll go look it up but i seem to remember it was something like $ 300 for both back doors. Plus I just noticed they aren't working properly now. and it has been about a year and a half since they replaced them.
  • smitty64smitty64 Member Posts: 4
    You HAVE to call Amy at remotes.com (1.800.REMOTES) and ask her to get you the clone remote for the Entertainment system. It took me about three weeks to find her, but I was not going to spend $200.00 plus to get one from Toyota!!! $40.00 plus shipping and it works like a dream. Be sure to note that the slide cover on the front of the remote hides the buttons you need to operate the system. Good luck!!!!
  • mikey13170mikey13170 Member Posts: 26
    Thanks Smitty.

I had already given up and purchased one I found on Ebay for $125.00

I did try remotes.com and they said they couldn't help me without knowing the mfg. I wasn't sure other than it was Toyota Factory installed equipment.

Anyway...at least we know in case anyone else needs help or I have to purchase a back-up. DO you remember the model# so we can reference it here?

Mikey
  • arslanarslan Member Posts: 36
    My radio works but not the lights. So, at night, I have a difficult time locating the pre-set buttons. I don't think it's a fuse, because I had this problem on-and-off for several months. Does anyone have a clue as to the problem and how much it would cost to repair?

Alternatively, I could replace the radio, but I don't the radio protruding from the dash. Any recommendations on other radios, preferably with MP3?
  • ksheikhksheikh Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Sequoia with 57K miles and it is doing the dame thing. Dealer also told me that this is normal for these trucks. I am going to take it to an other dealer.
  • kiddogokiddogo Member Posts: 14
    My wife was in a rear end collision, she was hit from behind by a car and the light pole that the other vehicle took out in the melee. The rear spoiler, rear hatch, rear bumper, hitch, all had to be replaced. The sunroof was fully open at the time of the accident and now it sticks. You can open it but when you try to close it, you need to pull it along. Body shop says they are not experts here and it maybe wear and tear...I think not. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    Paul
    What does anyone hear about a diesel for the new Sequoia or Tundra (will likely come there first)?? I'd buy one in a flash. The Q7 Audi is coming with two diesels. One a V10 that will pull stumps. When you have driven (hauled) with the Sequoia, the Q7, though nice is a bit tiny (as in small).
  • jose01jose01 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased (last week) a 2001 LTD with 57K miles 2WD :) .

So far so good, I love the SUV but have noticed several things:

1. When I hit 60MPH the steering wheel shakes a bit(not a lot just a little). I have an appointment for an alignment tomorrow and hopefully that will take care of it.
    2. I noticed that the License plate lights where not working and I changed the bulbs and they are still not working. I looked in fuse box for a fuse specifically for this but the only one I found was for the rear end lights.
    3. It has the JBL stereo which really sounds awfull, I thought the speakers were blown but now that I have seen other people say that that's just the way it sounds I am wondering. I will have it checked anyway.
    4. I also did notice that the breaks are sometimes shaki when I apply them when going a little fast (over 40) and I try to come to a stop really fast. I can live with that as long as it does not lead to a bigger problem.

Soooo, so far that is all I have to report. I would appreciate any response from anyone!!
  • lbert17lbert17 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 03 with the same vibration. Tried everything from speed balance to alignments. Nothing helps. What I finally found was the dealer never greased anything under the car when it had sevices,especially the slip joint in the drive shaft. It was all shiney from rubbing. After proper greasing the problem was less noticeable but apparently 3 years without grease did the damage. No going back without large expense.Also I never knew about using the 4wd every once in a while to get the oil flowing in the front rear which could also be the culprit because the vibration is strong on pass side floorboard,steering wheel and center console. My vibration goes away after 70mph!
    My 02 Lmt with 82K had some shakes around 55K. We suspected two things might be the cause. One the front discs may have been warped which could cause front end and steering wheel shaking. In this case the discs where true and the vehicle did not require new pads and disc turning until about 70K. At 55K we did replaced the lousy original equipment Bridgestones (noisy and minimal traction) with one size oversize Michelins, had the road pressure balance and four wheel alignment completed with no further shaking. We do bring the vehicle to the Michelin tire dealer about every 8000 miles for rotation and balance. Smooth all the way up to interstate plus speeds.

Good luck .... a Sequoia fan.

p.s. There are no grease zerks on the drive shaft U-joints (or anywhere else) on my 2WD 2002 Limited.
    I have an 04 LTD, that I recently traded my 04 4-Runner for. The Sequoia had 60,400 miles and my 4-Runner had 66K.

I was really disappointed with the ride of the Sequoia and started looking at the forum for possible problems. I was hearing a roar in the front end and after taking it to my local Toyota dealer had them replace the lower ball joints(recall) and then had them replace both front bearings. I still have the roaring noise, but not as loud or pronounced. The truck rides so much better and any vibration I was feeling has gone away. The tires are new Yokohama Geolander H/T-S. It was something the dealer put on before I purchased the truck. I'm thinking the noise I'm hearing is now attributed to tire noise. I'll leave them on and let it go until replacement, but will put the Michelins on when it comes time. I had them on the 4Runner and it really made a difference over the Bridgestones I had.

Don't know if this is helpful to you, but perhaps you should look at the bearings and ball joints if you have not considered it.

Mike
  • freddie_enginefreddie_engine Member Posts: 7
    Harbo,
    I'd like to ask you what size tries you put on your Sequoia and whether the original rims were 16" or 17".

I am due for a new set and do not want to install another set of OEM Uniroyal tires which are 265/65/17. They are too soft and the wear was very uneven. I also beleive that the originals are way too small for a big truck like the Sequoia. However, at the same time, I do not want to increase road noise. My Seq is very smooth and quite now.

I am looking for tires one size larger in profile, 265/70/17, but worried that there might be complications with using sizes different than OEM size.
    Any feed back on your experience is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Freddie
    My 2WD carries 16' rims with 265 / 70R 16 Michelin LTX M/S.

The standard for the 17' is a 275 / 60 R17 which is a nice wide tread tire. Either way I have had good luck with the LTX M/S Michelin. I'm near 30,000 miles on this set and it looks like another 40K left.

Good luck ........
    p.s. I run 38 psi frnt, 36 psi rear when empty. 40 psi rear when loaded.
    Mikey, is that a 4WD?
    Yes...why?
  • thtranlawthtranlaw Member Posts: 2
    can you tell me where the sensors are?

my vsc light just came on and the dealer said i have to replace my computer... want to try your "fix" first, before i do the computer thing...

thanks,

tht
  • redphaedrusredphaedrus Member Posts: 9
    Take off the rear wheels. On the back side of the wheel hub, you will see some electrical lines going in to the wheel hub.
    Take off the bolt holding in the sensor. If there are metal flakes on the magnetized tips, clean them off and then replace.
    You will need to reset your computer by disconnecting the battery wire for a few minutes and then reconnect.
  • jerrydockjerrydock Member Posts: 29
    I don't know why, but my 01 Sequoia has healed itself.

First, the rear hatch started working again
    Second, the VSC stopped going on and off by istelf
    Third, the radio lights started working again
    Forth, the gas gague is working, the DTE always worked.

Now if the indicator light for the brights a "D" would start working, it would be 100%.

I now have over 140,000 on it and no major problems.

Gas mileage keeps getting better...now 19MPG...average.
    Good job. I only have 85K on my 02. What is your driving style for 18 mpg average. THX
  • jerrydockjerrydock Member Posts: 29
    I fly. 22 citations; no convictions. I have a great lawyer.
    I do NOT baby the thing.
  • longarm001longarm001 Member Posts: 1
    Ok...Im new here but here goes. All of the sudden, both of the remotes for my 05 Sequoia SR5 are not working...not sure what caused it....I did change the battery in one because it was not working but that didnt help that one. The other remote just stopped working. The lights on both remotes works. I have tried all methods to get the remotes reprogrammed. I have gone through at least three different processes and they are both still not working. If there is a method that someone knows works for my year model I would love to have it. Any other advice is certainly welcome as well. Thanks, Drew
  • aliminalimin Member Posts: 80
    I received my notice over the weekend (June 9) about Toyota's SSC 70B 2004 through early 2007 Sequoia and 2004 through late 2006 Tundra front suspension lower ball joints safety recall notice. So my '05 SR5 is heading to the dealer next week. Here's part of the recall notice: "On certain 2004 through early 2007 model year Sequoia and 2004 through late 2006 model year Tundra vehicles, there is a possibility that the Front Suspension Lower Ball Joint may experience excessive wear and looseness [sic] causing increased steering effort, reduced vehicle self-centering, and noise in the front suspension. In the worst case, if the vehicle is continued to be operated in this condition, the lower ball joint may separate causing a loss of vehicle steering control, thus increasing the possibility of a crash." Since I didn't get the notice earlier this year, I assume Toyota is recalling all Seqs and Tundras manufactured during that time.
  • pippy1pippy1 Member Posts: 1
    About a month ago my Sequoia developed a rotational thump which seemed to be coming from the right front wheel area. The tires and brakes needed replacing so I did that, and then both front wheel bearings...still thumping. A new mechanic found that the noise was from a corroded wheel race which I understand the wheel bearing sits on (forgive me if my terminology is wrong.) I am really happy that the problem is fixed even though I am out $. It seems like it's hard to diagnose where the noise is coming from.
    Did the replacement of the "wheel race" make the "thump" go away?
  • abbylouabbylou Member Posts: 33
    Just wondering after about 700 mi on my odometer, I decided to upgrade my tires from Dunlop Grand Trek's to Michelin Cross Terrain's. Do I need to realign the vehicle? I just do not want the tires to wear unevenly, but do not want to waste the $89 either?
  • pduytengsu1pduytengsu1 Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to know whether this is just a temporary fix for the VSC/TRAC light? My mechanic told me that the code that shows on his computer for the VSC/TRAC light was that the computer needed to be replaced based on a Toyota bulletin, but, for vehicles that is 3 years or 36,000 miles would be under warranty. Since my vehicle is 4 years and 56,000 miles he checked with Toyota and the cost for the ECU is $1500 + labor at a dealership, since it needed to be re-programmed by a Toyota programmer. Do you know whether any other Sequoia owners have the same situation I am in? Are there any class action suit against Toyota for this problem, I think it is not right or unacceptable for a computer to go bad in less than 5 years? :mad:
  • freddie_enginefreddie_engine Member Posts: 7
    No need to re align unless you know that you have knocked your vehicle out of alignment by hiting the curb or something like that.

I just got 54K miles out of the OEM Dunlop tires on my '03 SR5 although I never liked them. Getting new tries today - Wrangler SRA's. Hopefully they'll work out. They are not cheap!
    abbylou good choice on tires. I am on my second set. On the first set I got 75,000 miles of good wear. I replaced the origional dunlaps at about 30,000. I now have 135,000 on the seq and about 30,000 on the new cross terr. Good steady ride on dry and wet roads. I don't do any off road (2 wheel drive) so I can't comment on that ability but for the money it is a great compromize between wear, comfort and stability. Its nice to know you are driving ion quality tires and don't have to worry about unplanned failures (except punctures).

Good choice
  • abbylouabbylou Member Posts: 33
    Thanks Petro33 for your input. I have ran Cross Terrains on all three of my 4Runners, and now with my new Sequoia. I am wondering since Toyota recommends 32 pounds of air pressure, if I could run them a bit higher when towing/heavier loads, etc...? Has anyone consistently ran more than OEM tire pressure in your tires? when i had them installed, the tire dealer would not inflate more the OEM lbs?
  • rcamserrotrcamserrot Member Posts: 14
    My drive light went out... after being told be the dealship that the cost would be $200 to pull off the front panel and replace the light bulb... I decided to live with the light being off... Reading on this board that others have had this problem also and they were able to fit it be banging on the dash... Well,, I tryed it and now my light is working!!!!!!!! Thanks for the info... Can not wait to go back to dealor and tell them this board saved me $200... many thanks...
    I run 36 psi on my Sequoia. 40 on the rear when loaded (Rear and top carriers plus 6 passengers. Wear pattern is good. Michelins.
    I run them all at near max pressure when I tow my trailer. Someone told me that was the proper thing to do when carring heavy loads.
  • crawgirl43crawgirl43 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2003 pre-owned Sequoia with 80,000 (out of warranty) in March of this year. Less than month after I purchased it I started having problems with the VSC/TRAC light coming on. The brake light also comes on every once in a while during driving. In the past week not only is the light on but now the system is activating causing the entire car to jerk violently. My husband took it to the dealership today and was told that it needed a new computer and it would cost $1800. They are charging us $93 just for running the diagnostic. We purchased the car at another dealership but were lucky enough to find out the previous owner (who lives in the same town). My husband contacted her and she explained that she had taken the car to the same dealership on 3 occasions while she owned it for the SAME EXACT PROBLEM! She was always told it was the tires or the brakes. Finally they told her it would be over $1,500 to fix and she ended up trading it to another dealership. My husband called the service dept back and told them what the previous owner said and they told him she had in fact brought it in a few times in the past but NEVER for the VSC/TRAC problem. The service guy is lying! We know someone who owns a shop that works on foreign vehicles and he told us he would run the diagnostic again for free and clear it to get the light to go off until we can decide what to do. I've been trying to do some research because there are 200 posts on this site alone of people who've experienced this problem! Surely there is something we can do to get Toyota to pay! Also...my back window will not work anymore...either from the switch on the dash or from my keychain.
  • toyotatoystoyotatoys Member Posts: 118
    My 01 Seq also still purrs at 101K. I also do 19 MPG on the highway. Replaced the starter at about 90K. Interestingly, my high beam indicator light (dash light) stopped functioning and I cannot find information in the manual on where to look. Any tip?

Thanks.