Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• trapper51trapper51 Member Posts: 27
    Sadly, the total number of complains on the NHTSA complain file I just pulled shows only 40 Frame Rot complaints. By year, 2001 had most (21), 1 for 02, 9 for 03, 1 for 05 and 06, 3ea for 07 and 08 - none for 09 and 10. The site to see this is: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ (did not research Tundra but suspect more there).
    Takes just 10 min, suggest all Seq forum visitors with frame rot fill out a complaint. Chose BODY from the complaint drop down menu - there is NO selection for Frame, but the 40 items in the INCIDENTS selection you can search on are categorized under "Structure: Frame and Members". Bbe sure to put that in your complaint clearly.
  • southruimveldtsouthruimveldt Member Posts: 2
    2003 toyota sequoia same problem. I call them get the run around. went in to the dealer they could not put my truck on the lift they say my frame is not good it cannot take the weight and told me it is not safe to drive. :mad: :confuse: :surprise: we need to get law and the tv in this matter keep us up to date thank you
  • cabin04cabin04 Member Posts: 31
    Besides filing formal complaints with Toyota and the NHTSA, also file a Consumer Complaint with your state's Office of the Attorney General. One very unhappy Sequoia owner suggested that we picket Toyota dealerships. Right now during Toyota's Year-End Toyotathon, would be a great time to picket.
    I've been dealing with Toyota for the past 4 months about the RUST HOLES in my 2002 Sequoia, with a lot of run around and no resolution. I am absolutely discussed with Toyota, but will not stop the fight, until Toyota does the right thing. Please email me at [email protected] to discuss our strategy. I look forward to hearing from Sequoia owners. Thank You.
  • somrtymsomrtym Member Posts: 5
    My husband called the local dealer in Rhode Island and they were no help. He called Corporate too. He was very nice and rational (not threatening) and explained that we are a "Toyota family" having owned 2 Celicas, a 4-Runner in the past and now have a Sequoia and a Prius. He explained how our neighbor has a 2001 Tacoma that was recalled with the same problem as ours. The person he spoke to at Customer Service on that Saturday was NOT helpful (they did offer $1000 towards a new Toyota), but they called back later that day while we were out car shopping and told us that they would do something more for us. On Monday the local dealer called us and said that Corp decided to replace the rusty frame for us at no charge.
  • southruimveldtsouthruimveldt Member Posts: 2
    :( :confuse: :sick: :surprise: :mad: IS toyota selling lemons now they need to start standing up for there mistake with these frames
  • jtbassjtbass Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2002 Sequoia. I bought it new from Walser Toyota in Bloomington, MN. It has 216,000 miles and still feels new. I live in Minneapolis. This week I came across this forum and subsequently the forum at TundraSolutions.com discussing the Tundra recall for frame rust. I read with concern the testimony from Sequoia owners who have had their vehicles condemned by state inspectors due to frame rust. My understanding since buying is that Sequoia was built with same frames on same assembly line as Tundra in Indiana. I don't, though, know this to be a fact. I crawled under my vehicle a couple days ago and saw that the rust on my frame looked like that in the photos posted in the forums. I filed a complaint with NHTSA and called Toyota to start a formal case. I contacted Walser Toyota and spoke with the Service Manager. He stated he had not heard of this issue affecting Sequoias. He made arrangement for me to have the vehicle inspected today. I don't believe they performed the same inspection as would be performed on a Tundra but they are well aware of the Tundra issue and what it looks like. I also stopped at my mechanic this morning before Walser and had him put it on the hoist and inspect the frame. My mechanic told me that the rust is surface rust. He looked, poked and prodded and found no signs of weakness. I have read what is said about the rust coming from inside out so I kept my appointment with Walser Toyota. At Walser they put it on the hoist and inspected. They brought me under the car and described for me what it looks like when they look at a Tundra with the frame rust problem. My Sequoia has the surface rust but it does not have the appearance that the rusted recalled Tundras have. There are no holes in the frame and when I knock with a tool on the frame at the rusty areas it seems solid to my feel. The Service Manager also indicated that the Sequoia frames were not necessarily built on same line as Tundra and that the Tundras subject to the rust problem were specifically identified and recalled. I expected them to say that. They declared my vehicle to not have the problem and to be safe. I have driven this Sequoia for nine years in Minnesota winter so it seems that if it has an abnormal rust situation that it would be manifesting by now. I am not making any claims about Sequoias in general in regard to frame rust. But, my vehicle, while having quite a bit of surface rust, does not appear to have an integrity problem. Walser Toyota treated me well, with respect and not dismissively. They took my safety concern seriously and had my vehicle on their hoist within 24 hours. They told me I was the first Sequoia owner to contact them with this question concerning a Sequoia.

I initially was on-line looking at Sequoia stuff because my headlight lenses are extremely blurry to the point where they are very dim. I have to double check that my lights are on. I was looking for new ones. Has anyone else had the lense of their headlight turn ridiculously blurry? I've owned other cars for many years and never noticed such a degredation of a headlight lense.
    Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
    I've had the opportunity in the past 3 months to observe numerious 2001/02 Sequoias. All of these Sequoias have been driven in the Northeast for the past 10 or so years. And from my observation, it appears that these Sequoia frames are in one of two conditions. One being frames are still mostly black with the protective coating and only some rust. And then there are those that are covered with rust and some you can peel off the rust like an onion. As we beleive not all Sequoias have this serious "Frame Rot" problem, but the ones that do need to be addressed and corrected by Toyota. If your independent mechanic, who sees a lot of undercarriages, beleives your Sequoia frame appears to have more rust than other makes of trucks of similar age, then I would say your Sequoia falls into the "frame rot" category. Therefore, you need to keep after Toyota to address your premature frame rust/rot problem.
    And regarding your headlight lense problem, I've owned cars with this blurry/degredation issue, but my 02 Sequoia lenses, are okay.
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Thanks again.
    Cabin04, thank you for your reply. I will continue to monitor my frame. At this point I don't believe there is a strong enough case with my vehicle to continue to strong-arm Toyota.
    I installed my $23 headlights last night (Halogen bulb included). After the usual learning curve and a relatively small amount of cussing I got them in cleanly. I was joyous when I finally figured out how to adjust the vertical (There is a tunnel that leads down to the white "Fly-wheel" thing located on the back of the case. Insert the right size phillips head and turn.) They work great. Here's hoping that continues.
    Other issues I've had with Sequoia include replacing the radio antenna twice, replacing the rear latch/handle assembly twice, and the air conditioning system disintegrated at 37,000 miles. The compressor blew and corrupted the entire system. The air conditioner needed complete replacement and I was out of warranty. Price quote was something around $2,500 to fix at Walser Toyota. Walser Toyota said they'd buy the parts. That didn't seem good enough so I said, Hey, if I lived in Florida this would have almost certainly burst before warranty and this simply isn't right. Considering that, along with the Tech Bulletin issued on Sequoia AC, they repaired it for $500. When i went to pay the guy running the register thought it was being done free. I told him we had agreed on $500. So I have always wondered if I'd kept pressing they'd have done the repair free.
    Cabin, can I ask? In what job or function do you see the numerous frames? Like I said, I don't believe I have a case now but I want to stay on top of it. My mechanic says that the amount of rust I have is commensurate with nine year old vehicles.
    jtbass, thank you for your reply. I also had to replace my AC compressor just out of warranty, but Toyota provided zero assistance. I've also had to replace my rear gate latch twice due to rust and rot, because of Toytota's poor design for the back gate. My rear gate window has also been non-operational for years because the window rails have rotted and would cost over $600 to replace. Therefore, my greyhounds no longer can enjoy hanging their heads out the back window. I've also had major VSC problems and most recently my Sequoia thinks it's in skid everytime I go around a curve. All at once the skid light comes on, the skid control audio beeps, and the engine / transmission bucks like a bronco!! My mechanic tells me that this is a major expenditure, not a simple sensor. In my past 40 years of driving, I've never owned a vehicle with so many major and expensive problems.
    To answer jtbass' question about what function I perform where I can physically see, view, and gather a great deal of information about Toyota Sequoia's, and 90% of the time speak directly with the owner: I'm a part-time "Event Parking Attendent", I'm the attendent that makes sure you are as close to the other vehicle as possible, and greets you as you get out of your car.
    I welcome other Toyota Sequoia Owner stories, and look forward to hearing from you.
    Thank You and have a Great Hoilday!!
    I own a 2002 Sequoia. I haven't been able to operate my rear gate window for a couple years due to the window rails rotting out, similar to the rear gate handle and latch problems that others have experienced. This window rail and handle/latch rot problem is a Toyota design problem.
    I've read that it is fairly easy to replace the handle and latch, but has anyone had any hands-on experience of replacing the rear gate window rails?
    I look forward to hearing from others. Thank you.
    Could anything else happen with my '02 Sequoia. Two days in a row this weekend, while going down clear and dry roads(NO snow, rain, or ice) our Sequoia for the first time just started bucking like a bronco, skid control beeping, and the skid indicator light flashing. Needed to stop, turn off, and restart the vehicle. Continued to do this several times until we limped home. It's in the shop today. Is this a major or minor problem?
    I look forward to hearing from others.
    Thanks.
  • drifter1999drifter1999 Member Posts: 10
    First I want to apologize to all the members for the multiple posting I did regarding My 2002, 66,400 miles Toyota Sequoia rusted frame. Being new in this site I did not realized that the post would group together in one posting. After seeing them I also thought it was repetitive and annoying. Sorry for that. I received an email from Steve notifying me of this and other site rule violations I committed like asking you for case numbers and to contact me directly so we could create a united front to fight this together.
    That being said, I don't know how to proceed from here. I pleaded with Toyota Corp to assist me in fixing the rusted frame. They asked me to take the vehicle to a Toyota dealership for a frame inspection which resulted in a report where indeed the frame is coming apart and I had already lost some components aside from having the transmission, the differential and the spare tire at risk of falling off the car. The report cost me $51.50 which I gladly paid. Toyota sent me a letter with a declined message. I filed a complaint with NHTSA and I called them to make sure it was filed under the correct issue. They said that all the complaints are read by the engineers and they are file accordingly.
    I urge any Sequoia owner to do the same. On my part I am trying to bring awareness in my community about this issue. I have printed flyers and I am looking at other ways to advance our cause. If anyone have suggestions on how to achieve this please post.
    I hope this posting is not violating any rules.
    Thank you
    Octavio
    Worcester, MA
  • gilbeygilbey Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2011 Sequoia. After only about 3,000 miles it developed a squeak that appears whenever I drive on a bad road, sometimes now on paved roads when I hit a particular kind of bump. A mechanic at the Toyota dealer heard it but could not say what was causing it – something underneath in back, he thought. Has anyone else had a similar problem, and if so, were you able to locate and eliminate it? Thanks.
  • jameswh0jameswh0 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue with my 2003. What should I be doing to bring awareness to Toyota?
    Hi James,
    You should contact your local Toyota dealership and have them conduct an undercarriage inspection. At the same time file a formal online consumer case with the NHTSA, so that your case is added to the national database.
    If Toyota rejects you case, file an online formal complaint with your state Attorney General's Office and they will send a letter to Toyota Motor Sales USA in California and follow-up.
    Please notify me if you have any questions and/or require further detail.
    Thanks.
    Hi James. Sorry you are having the same problem. First I contacted TOYOTA MOTOR SALES USA customer relations department to find out what I could do. They asked me to have a frame inspection by a Toyota dealership. It cost me $51.50 and they gave me a report of the inspection. After contacting Toyota Corp. again, they told me that my vehicle was out of warranty and they declined my claim by letter . They did assigned a case number for future reference.
    Next I file a complaint with the NHTSA. They said they will file the complaint in their archives for future used if they have enough complaints to warrant and investigation. I also filed a complaint with my estate Attorney General.
    They did forward the complaint to a local consumer agency that works with them in trying to mediate my complaint with Toyota. The agency call me back and asked a few questions. I faxed them the Inspection report, the declined letter and a estimate I got from the dealership to replace the frame. The said they will send a letter to TMSUSA for a response. TMSUSA have 10 days to respond. If they don't, the agency will contact them by phone. That's where I am at right now. After that I my next step is to contact my lawyer and file a lawsuit against TMSUSA and have them defend their denial in a court of law. It may cost me some money but is will be an investment, sometimes you win sometimes you lose. The key is to spread the word to other Sequoia owners that may have the same problem. Some already know their frames are failing but there are thousands and thousands that may be at risk or already have their frames rusted through and don't know.
    I have joined a couple of forums to see if this problem is widespread and it seems to be. Some forums are sponsored by Toyota and their administrators will shut you down for bringing the issue up. Beware!

Wishing you good luck, let me know how it go for you.
    Hi Gil. I'll love to put myself behind the wheel of another Sequoia. Great vehicle. Mine developed a severe rusted frame at 66,400m but aside from that I couldn't ask for better ride. I don't know what could cause your noise, since it is a new vehicle I doubt it has do to with any rust. Keep an ear on the noise to see if you can identify the situation (maneuver) you are doing when the noise is heard. Keep the dealership receipt safe, maybe in the future you find out what it is and you'll have a record that you encountered the problem early under warranty.

Good luck!
    Hi drifter1999, Thank you for sharing this important information. It sounds like you and I are at the same stage in addressing this serious "frame rot" issue. My NH Attorney Generals Office has turned my consumer complaint over to a "Consumer Proctection Agency". If this doesn't work, I've already provided my lawyer with all the info and he is ready to pull the trigger when I give him the word. I hope it doesn't come to this.
    Yes, we need to continue to spread the word about this serious "Frame Rot" problem to those Sequoia owners who are not even aware they have a problem.
    Keep the communications flowing.
    Thanks again.
  • brousselbroussel Member Posts: 2
    Go to www.1aauto.com for the part. Part is offered in plastic or steel.
    1aauto also has a video on how to replace the rear latch.
    The liftgate trim can be removed from inside. Start removing the trim from the top then right side then left side. You can then remove the main liftgate trim which will expose the panels you need to remove to open the liftgate and then change the latch. Latch is about $50.
  • mamalunamamaluna Member Posts: 2
    I am having a similar issue with the VSC coming on in corners on dry road. What was the issue? My dealership cant figure it out.
    My VSC problem is pointing towards a bad computer component that controls the engine, excelorator, and brakes that help prevents the skid.
    I can't do anything with this VSC problem until something is done with my rotted frame, which is currently more critical. I'm hoping that my VSC problem is really a bad sensor, and not the computer. My VSC problem only occurs when I have passengers in the 2nd or 3rd row seats.
  • mamalunamamaluna Member Posts: 2
    I am going to have to take a look at my frame! I always have people in my 2nd and 3rd row. I have 5 kids. I find that mine goes off more on left hand curves. The last time I drove it the VSC came on and stayed on until I had slowed to about 2 miles an hour. I lost control of the steering and it pulled me off the road. The dealer keeps sending me home with it.
    Yes, take a look at your frame. Please send me an email, and I'll send you some pictures of my frame for comparison.
    The Toyota dealership should be able to read the codes which should point to the cause of the VSC going off. It's either a bad sensor or the computer that controls the VSC.
    When the VSC, skid indicator, and audio alarm all go off, indicating a skid, and the computer takes over and controls the engine and brakes, the only way I can get it to stop is to stop the Sequoia, turn off the egnition and turn the vehicle back on again. The vehicle will run okay until you go around another curve in the road.
    Has anyone else out there experienced their Sequoia thinking it's in a skid when it's not??
  • dlcole76054dlcole76054 Member Posts: 21
    edited January 2012
    Is this rust endemic to all geographic locations or only to places that use salt heavily in the winter to clear off the roads?

In Texas, we use sand, not salt for road clearance and rust generally is not a problem. Also, I have lived in cold weather country (Northern Virginia). We just took the vehicles to the car wash, which had an under-carriage rinse facility...usually about once a month was all it took. No problems and this was mid-1980s before improved rust proofing.
    For what I understand, the Sequoias are built with the same frames as the Tacomas and Tundras which were recalled because of a defect on the frames that is described as "Premature Rusting." This rusting is caused either because of substandard material and/or because of manufacturer's storage of the units. The frames are rusting from the inside out. Toyota settled a lawsuit with the manufacturer of the frames for $25M.
    Most of the affected vehicles are from northern states where winter is most prevalent and many states uses a mix of sand and salt to treat roads, a practice that have been going on for over 40 years. Manufacturers knows of this practice and install the frames with anti-corrosion coating. Somehow Toyota overlooked this condition and put these defected frames on the affected vehicles. I have read post of other states having the same problem but not as extensive as Snowy states. Other makes of vehicles are not experiencing the same rate of deterioration as the Toyota Sequoias, Tundras and Tacomas. Salt is not affecting all the vehicles the same. There are vehicles on the road with 15, 20 years and longer where their frames are still solid with just minor surface rust even though these vehicles are in the same states that uses salt. This salt issue is the argument Toyota and their defenders want to use to deny any responsibility. They already accepted and recognized that the Tundras and Tacomas had "prematurely rusting" frames. The Sequoias should be at least considered for a more in depth look at the condition of frames and determine is not all but some of the vehicles were built with this defective frame.
  • countryboy498countryboy498 Member Posts: 1
    So my wife and I just bought 2001 Sequoia with 158,000 miles on it but we weren't worried because of the Toyota name and quality. We have had a 1996 Camry and a 2000 4 Runner with almost zero issues. We currently have a 2007 Camry and now this Sequoia.

After reading some posts on here I went out and looked at the frame under the engine compartment and noticed 2 small rust holes the size of a dime each. Other than that though my frame doesn't even show signs of rust. We live in Michigan, so it see's its fair share of salt. Before we bought it I brought it to my friends garage and he put it on the life and everything, frame looked good on the bottom. Should I be concerned with only 2 small spots?
  • mcfly3mcfly3 Member Posts: 1
    On December 28, 2011, I brought my 2001, Toyota Sequoia in to be serviced for rear brakes and to get the oil changed. My certified mechanic called me at home and strongly suggested that I come in to see what he discovered while my vehicle was up on the lift. So I stopped in to take a look. He showed me extensive rust holes in the middle of the frame welds on both the passenger and driver's side. He also pointed out that the rear differential case has severe rust damage. He strongly urged me to stop driving the vehicle and stated that it is unsafe in its present condition and that he has never seen such extensive frame rust damage on a vehicle this well taken care of. The drive train, outer body, and interior are in mint condition. I also have always made it a point to power wash the salt (calcium chloride) off the under carriage after driving in the Northeast after snow or ice storms, when salt is used on our roads. I contacted my local Toyota dealership and they gave me the phone number to Toyota Headquarters. The end result was, they were sorry to hear that I had a rotted out frame and suggested that I get rid of the vehicle because there is currently no recall for the Sequoias. Although, after going online at the Toyota forum I found out that they're are over 300 consumers with the same type of issue with their Sequoia frames in our state, so I do not stand alone. I am floored that a company like Toyota, that prides itself in being committed to safety does not care and will not take ownership when they knowingly used cheap Japanese steel to build these faulty frames. I currently have three young children and this is my primary vehicle. I cannot afford to throw $8 K away (Kelly Blue Book) on this vehicle. Please help!
    Sorry to hear that. As you can see there are hundreds if not thousands of vehicles in the same condition including mine. I don't know what would take for the NHTSA to start investigating this issue. Perhaps a death or a whole family mainmed. At this point I think our government is failing us. NHTSA if you are reading these posts please help us. Toyota Motor Sales USA will not do anything until our government steps in. They will tell you they are sorry your vehicle needs repair and that it is over the warranty period. They will tell you that they have never hear about this problem with the Sequoias. They will say not to believe anything thing you read online. All lies meant to discourage you from seeking relief. Have a Toyota Dealership conduct a frame inspection and get the results in writing.
    File your complaint with the NHTSA and with your state AG. Be prepare to hire a lawyer to represent you in court. Take pictures of your vehicle to show the condition of your car as a whole and the frame rust. Edmunds.com could also help by forwarding threads like this to the proper authorities if Edmunds.com is interested in addressing some of the safety issues we are all experiencing. What about this Edmunds? are you willing to help us?
    Sorry to hear that you have joined our group of unhappy Sequoia owners.
    For whatever it's worth, file formal online consumer complaints with the NHTSA and your State Attorney General's Office. I am extremely disappointed in the lack of support from both our Federal and State governments. I've had a couple conversations with the NHTSA and they have no plans to even start an investigation regarding this serious Toyota Frame Rot problem, even though they have a database full of complaints. And my State AG's Office says they have NO authority to even get Toyota to respond to my case. Therefore, what's the purpose of these agencies.
    Media coverage of this serious problem will probably be the only way to get Toyota to do the right thing and/or a class action lawsuit. Taking legal action on your own against Toyota won't get you enough money to even pay your lawyer.
    We should all be fighting for a "buyback" option and not just a frame replacement.
    From what I've heard from Toyota Tundra owners who had their frames replaced, had nothing but problems afterwards. And many ended up just getting rid of the truck to stop the headaches.
    I just had my 2001 frame replaced by Toyota without any cost to me. They told me if there were any additional parts that needed to be replaced while they did the frame we would have to pay for that, but not the labor since they were already doing the frame. I had it done at Premier Toyota of Newport (Rhode Island). The service manager, Ray, said that he would do whatever he could do to help other Sequoia owners as long as the regular maintenance on the Sequoia had been done at a Toyota dealer (which is shown in their nationwide data base). Another 2002 Sequoia's frame was being done when I picked mine up. Hope this helps!
    I just had my 2001 frame replaced by Toyota without any cost to me. They told me if there were any additional parts that needed to be replaced while they did the frame we would have to pay for that, but not the labor since they were already doing the frame. I had it done at Premier Toyota of Newport (Rhode Island). The service manager, Ray, said that he would do whatever he could do to help other Sequoia owners as long as the regular maintenance on the Sequoia had been done at a Toyota dealer (which is shown in their nationwide data base). Another 2002 Sequoia's frame was being done when I picked mine up. Hope this helps!
    Hi somrtym, you had posted back in December 7 that Toyota did or was going to replace your frame. I assumed by your new post that the frame was finished recently. Someone else had asked what process your put in place to have them so easily agreed to replaced the frame. I just got noticed last week that Toyota had responded to the Consumer Office referred to by the Attorney General in my area. Toyota response was just sending them the same letter of claim denial they sent me. A copy of it.
    I will try to contact Toyota again to see if they have a change of heart. It seems that there is no recourse unless individuals are willing to take it a step further. The NTHSA and the AG are of no help although they know the problem exist and is real. Please let us know how you got to convince them to do the right thing.
  • slcnobleslcnoble Member Posts: 1
    Hi...I also just took my 2001 Sequoia in for an oil change and they advised that is was unsafe to drive. They had a Toyota FTS come out and do a report, I filed a claim with Toyota and with teh NHTSA. However, the Toyota Customer experience representative said they could offer me nothing in return. I purchased the vehicle in Kansas City but the vehicle came from PA. Can you please tell me the steps you took to getting your frame replaced? I'm willing to do most anything as the vehicle only has 97,000 miles on it and is in amazing condition except for as the service manager said it " the frame has cancer".
    Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.
    Sorry you are having the same problem most of us are having. Toyota will deny any claims unless the Government gets involve which is about time.
    File a complaint with the NHTSA at this site: http://www.nhtsa.gov/

Also, file a complaint with your Attorney General.

If you read past posts there is more info there.

Good luck.
  • mikem_68mikem_68 Member Posts: 1
    How did you get it replaced at no cost?

I just took my 2001 in for an Oil Change and rear door handle and the dealer told me about a 4 inch hole in the frame due to rust and that it is unsafe to drive. Contacted Toyota and got the "There are no recalls to address this issue..." My dealer contacted Toyota directly to open a case with them. I have taken my vehicle to the same dealer for service ever since purchasing it used. It now has 255k+ miles and runs great. No major problems until today.
    I have filed a complaint with NHTSA already and hope others do as well. Hopefully Toyota will issue a recall at some point. After all, my understanding is that the Tundra is based off the same frame and there is a recall for the Tundra frame issue.
    I asked the same question. somrtym either is just pulling our legs or just don't want to help. Maybe Toyota swear her to secrecy. File the complaint to the NHTSA and try to alert as many people you see with Sequoias. Get a lawyer!
  • telejnkietelejnkie Member Posts: 2
    So I've seen a lot of others with this same problem but I too need some advice. When my alarm goes off (for no reason), I've checked and do have a dome light on inside the car, but no door adjar light on the dash. I tried removing the drivers side door switch and thought that fixed it. It didn't go off for 2 days, then went off 4 times in a row. I'm now thinking it's the rear door, because sometimes the dome light doesn't come on when opening the rear door and also get no door adjar light at least with no key turned on. When I turn the key on then I do get the door adjar from the tailgate (hmmm voltage issue)? I was hoping its only a rear tailgate door jamb switch, but I can't find one. How does the rear door adjar work on these without a visible door jamb switch? Where is the thing? Thanks
  • ryanationsryanations Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 Sequoia Limited with 150k miles. I wanted to know if anyone has attempted to remove the catalytic on the exhaust permanently? I live in a rural area and they don't require emissions so Im not worried about that part. I wanted to know if there was a way to trick the O2 sensors on it since there is one before the cat and one after on each side. I also wanted to do this to improve the MPG on it since I only get 14mpg and can't seem to get any more even when Im on the Freeway. Also I wanted to know if anyone has actually installed a aftermarket intake and what type of difference did you see in it. Thanks
  • mycomputermycomputer Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a used 2002 Toyota Sequoia and the Radio Power is not coming ON when pushed. I checked radio fuse and it is OK. What else might be the problem?
    Victor.
  • skrdrgn8skrdrgn8 Member Posts: 1
    I've read a bit about my car, so I am familiar with the ABS/TRAC self test noises that happen after initial acceleration.

My Sequoia recently started making another noise after those clicks, it sounds like a puff of air coming from somewhere under the dash on the driver's side. This didn't start happening until after we got it back from the dealer for service on the ABS computer system.

Any ideas what this could be? Something I can simply fix or do I need to call the dealer again?

Thanks!
  • jeppsenjeppsen Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Sequoia and am experiencing the exact same power loss symptoms. How did you fix the problem?
  • redphaedrusredphaedrus Member Posts: 9
    See my post #2039.
  • peggysue3peggysue3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited and just replaced the belt tension. Love my vehicle and considering it has 460,000 miles on it she still runs beautifully. Anyone else have high mileage on theirs and still running great?
  • harboharbo Member Posts: 136
    I feel like a "piker" with only 200,000 on my 02. Runs great and feels like 200K more. Any maintenance tricks.?
  • doby2doby2 Member Posts: 3
    Hey I have a 2003 and we just hit 200,000 and we just love this truck. It has a smooth ride for an SUV. In fact we love it so much this is our second one we had 2000 the first one off the line out of Indianopolis toyota plant when the model was brand new. We tried a Q56 in between that one and the 2003. I say stick with Toyota we have found it to be very reliable and we have only had to do a few minor things to it, a Yaw Sensor and the dealer replaced the tracking system other than that it's been a solid truck. By the way we put almost 300,000 on the first one..
  • spaceman6spaceman6 Member Posts: 2
    I had a small fire this evening under the hood of my 2003 Sequoia. The problem started when I shifted from reverse to drive and the brake pedal seemed to temporarily lock up. A mile or two down the road, the VSC/Trac Control light came on, followed by the ABS light, followed by the smell of burnt plastic, followed by the brake pedal going all the way to the floor on its own, while driving in traffic.

I'm trying to track down a diagram of the engine compartment to determine exactly what caught on fire, but I'm assuming its the VSC computer or something else brake related. It was a box located in the far left corner of the engine compartment, right up against the fire wall.

If someone could help identify this for me before I head to the repair shop where it was towed, that would be helpful so i can do a little research. From what I've read on here tonight, there have been plenty of issues with the VSC computer and possibly even a recall or two. Any chance this repair will be covered by Toyota? If not, and because it involved a small fire, will my insurance be able to cover the repairs or am I looking at a pretty hefty out-of-pocket expense?
  • 02toy02toy Member Posts: 2
    I took my 02 Sequoia SR5 in for a recall with the undercoat on the frame. Although it passed with no damage, and they applied the required undercaot protection, they found a laundry list of other items in need of attention. Just wanted to run the list by others to see if it sounds reasonable. Because the car is still at the dealership, I don;t know the exact mileage but it's about 160,000. Here's the list and applicable costs:
    oxygen sensor (high priority) - $600
    power steering fluid, dirty and leaking from both lines (high priority) - $1158
    timing belt
    induction service (clean carbon out of upper intake and throttle body) - $169
    transmission fluid cleanse - $110
    brake fluid cleanse - $130
    corroded battery cleanse - $65
    coolant flush - $80
    spark plugs - $284
    brakes @ 30% - brakes and roters - front=$606, rear=$653
    Your thoughts???
    Take your car out of there and run as fast as you can. Take it to a competent mechanic and have a second opinion. Show them the list but not the prices. Although you may need most of all that work done you may be able to do it at half the price. Do not neglect the power steering fix and the brakes job. If the car was running fine before you took it in it should run the same now for some time, enough at least to take to another mechanic. Some shops will even let you bring the parts in like the rotors ($80.00 a pair), brake pads $40/60) Spark plugs and oxygen sensors. Check around on some auto parts stores, they some times run a computer test for free and let you know exactly which one you need, the car has four. You only will need to replace them a couple of weeks before your state inspection. If they are faulty, the damage is contagious, one bad sensor can damage the second one in the same bank, 2 sensors per bank. Good luck.
  • 02toy02toy Member Posts: 2
    Thank you!! I did more research online after my post and came to the same conclusion regarding cost. The only reason I went to the dealer in the first place was to have the recall item attended to, I do have a mechanic that I trust and will certainly take it to him. I appreciate the feedback!